Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I don't really follow Shethority - have they announced which charities they've given money to and how much? Looking through their social media it just seems like a vanity project to drive merch sales and self-promote without much transparency. Hopefully they fix that when they launch their website. 

• Love 1

I don't know about now, their first round of t-shirt sales went half to their website and half to Girls, Inc, which is a nonprofit group that offers mentor ship, empowerment and support for girls between the ages of 6 through 18.

Other than that it's been used for them and fans to share stories about their lives. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I don't really follow Shethority - have they announced which charities they've given money to and how much? Looking through their social media it just seems like a vanity project to drive merch sales and self-promote without much transparency. Hopefully they fix that when they launch their website. 

I'm always wary of donating to organisations that don't disclose how much they contribute to the charity and how much they keep for themselves ever since I watched a new report that exposed that charities usually hire private sales companies to get them donations and then those companies take 96% of any contributions. So I wouldn't donate to Shethority or any celebrities charity without transparency. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

I'm always wary of donating to organisations that don't disclose how much they contribute to the charity and how much they keep for themselves ever since I watched a new report that exposed that charities usually hire private sales companies to get them donations and then those companies take 96% of any contributions. So I wouldn't donate to Shethority or any celebrities charity without transparency. 

Yeah. I don't have an issue with them having overhead or anything - I know there are costs associated with designing these shirts and getting a website up and running and whatnot. I just noticed a lot of fairly vague language about how much of the proceeds from these shirts are going to charity, and I was a) wondering if they post about their donations somewhere that I've missed in searches and/or b) are transparent about how many shirts they've sold, accounted for the money they're keeping and where it's going, etc. 

• Love 2

I saw that question raised (how much of the proceeds is going to charity) during David's campaign and I didn't see anyone respond so I didn't buy the shirt. I'm now wary as well when it comes to giving to celebrity causes after reading a similar report @Mary0360

And Shethority has always struck me as a way for the actresses leading it to appear "woke" *shrug* 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I saw that question raised (how much of the proceeds is going to charity) during David's campaign and I didn't see anyone respond so I didn't buy the shirt. I'm now wary as well when it comes to giving to celebrity causes after reading a similar report @Mary0360

And Shethority has always struck me as a way for the actresses leading it to appear "woke" *shrug* 

I felt actual revulsion when I watched that news report as some of my favourite and also biggest charities were named. And I don't blame the charities themselves as it's sad that they even need to hire those third party companies to help get them donations but ever since then I try where possible to donate directly to the charity themselves rather then through targeted/private fundraiser's or third parties. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Even though Candice is co-creator of shethority, and EBR is somewhat (to a much lesser extent) involved, I don’t find them to be inclusive. So far, women of color have been mostly ignored and it’s probably because their members are mostly white. I personally have no interest, also I feel like it may be a space more inviting for younger women (I’m in my 30s not old, but entirely comfortable with myself). I however do have an issue with them seeking $ from fans to run it. The group is made up of several actresses making better wages than most of their audience. Those women should get together and put their own money up for the site. Caity, Candice, Maisie, & Emily these four alone could launch the site. I’ve undertaken larger projects for clients who are not famous and have used their funds. Also, I hate that they ask fans for designs and art, without offering compensation. So I’m not into the shethority thing. I wish CP and EBR weren’t involved but whatever. I do hope they do something good, and bring people some positivity.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 4
Just now, apinknightmare said:

Ew, I didn’t know they were doing that. I thought they had someone doing it for them at a cost. Bleh. 

Last thing I saw was them asking fans to create a logo for them. The most important part of branding. They said just tag them and they’d pick, no offer of compensation, as if those things didn’t take time. But I understand fans are excited to be included and aren’t thinking of valuing their own work.

I've been wary about donating to any charities since like others have said, even the legit charities haven't been donating what they said they would. 

I read the stories on shethority but don't buy any of the merchandise.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes Stephen does it too. One of the many reason I can’t stand him lol.

Just now, Sakura12 said:

I've been wary about donating to any charities since like others have said, even the legit charities haven't been donating what they said they would. 

I read the stories on shethority but don't buy any of the merchandise.

Plus it’s so easy to donate directly to charities. I haven’t ever bought a shirt because I know out of my $30 only about 15 makes it to charity, after production cost... So I’ve always just given straight to the charity. I won’t deny the shirts are good way to raise $ in fan spaces tho, and I’m not against them as long as 100% goes to the org.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 1

I'm not a fan of Shethority or SA but to be fair if a fan likes a celebrity and WANTS to do free work for them, is it really that bad? People could just refuse and not submit anything. It's not a situation where they have offered to pay someone and then absconded. 

Is it any different to a fanfic writer writing a prompt for someone they like online. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm not a fan of Shethority or SA but to be fair if a fan likes a celebrity and WANTS to do free work for them, is it really that bad? People could just refuse and not submit anything. It's not a situation where they have offered to pay someone and then absconded. 

Is it any different to a fanfic writer writing a prompt for someone they like online. 

It's true, no one has to submit their artwork, and if that's how they want to (or the only way they can) donate to a campaign then that's their choice. 

On the other hand, I do take issue with people who have the financial means to pay someone a fee soliciting work for free from a group of fans they know will be more than willing to do it. It feels like taking advantage, even though people are voluntarily doing it. And I'd say yes, it is different then someone writing a fanfic prompt. This would be more like SA asking someone to write a fanfic prompt for a book that he's compiling with proceeds going to charity, but his name plastered all over it and the writers are only mentioned once, when he selects the authors who are going to be included. 

• Love 8

Shethority has always confused me because it seems like such a vague charity. To me it doesn't seem like it has any specific goals beyond women supporting each other, which sounds pretty wishy washy to me. I don't think that either Candace or Caity have bad intentions, but it seems to me like they came together with a vague idea of 'empowering women' and didn't really do the research to specify just what they mean by that. They're obviously busy women, but running a charity takes time and knowledge that I don't think they have, so it's never going to be a charity that I'd give my money to. 

I don't donate to Steven's charities either. I haven't done enough research to know if they're reputable, plus I'd rather give my money to charities in the UK (where I live) or charities with links to the UK just because they're charities that I've grown up with and who's work I've physically seen. 

2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I think it's a bit different. For one Shethority is a 'feminist' charity, and so part of that should be paying women fairly for the work they're doing. It's a bit disingenous to me to say you support women, and then asking them to work for free (even if they agree to it). A person who submitted the work may think that they're doing a good thing, but without full tranparency from the organisation, it's hard to be 100% sure. 

I don't think it's comparable to a fanfic writer because the fanfic writer does not make any money for writing fanfic, so they're not profiting off of someone else. With Shethority, they're using the images to make money. For certain 100% of the money made is not going to charity. That's not possible because every charity has overheads. If they're not clear on how much is going to charity vs how much is going to overheads (and how much is going to employees), then it's not possible to know if the organisation has profited off of someone elses work. 

For the record, I'm not saying that Shethority is some nefarious organisation, just that it seems like a badly thought out organisation which means it's difficult to fully grasp the actual work they're doing. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

It’s not bad if the fan is happy to do it. However, I look it it this way, a lot of their audience (going by what I’ve seen) is younger and don’t think to place monetary value on their work. It would cost the celeb nothing to offer some sort of compensation for creating something as important as a logo. In my world money is best, but doing something like a FaceTime call, sending them some swag, or at the very least offering to feature them on their site, is something that costs them almost nothing. The idea of building your brand on free labor, even if fans are ok with it, does not sit right with me. I don’t think anyone has to agree with me it’s just how I feel. I think it also goes with the fact I’ve been involved in pr and marketing for years, so I know how much work goes into these things. And that work should be rewarded (with money lol ).

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

It’s not bad if the fan is happy to do it. However, I look it it this way, a lot of their audience (going by what I’ve seen) is younger and don’t think to place monetary value on their work. It would cost the celeb nothing to offer some sort of compensation for creating something as important as a logo. In my world money is best, but doing something like a FaceTime call, sending them some swag, or at the very least offering to feature them on their site, is something that costs them almost nothing. The idea of building your brand on free labor, even if fans are ok with it, does not sit right with me. I don’t think anyone has to agree with me it’s just how I feel. I think it also goes with the fact I’ve been involved in pr and marketing for years, so I know how much work goes into these things. And that work should be rewarded (with money lol ).

Yeah, there's value to the work they're asking for, and whoever submits it should be compensated or at least be offered something, whether they want to take it or not. Maybe the people whose work has been selected have received an offer of something after the fact? I can't say. But it should be offered from the start IMO. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

Shethority reminds me of Taylor Swift’s Girl Squad of a few years back. 

Very apt description actually. It does come across very "Look at me look at me! Look how cool, feminist, attractive and generally amazing we are" 

Or as @apinknightmare said a vanity project for the actresses

Edited by Mary0360
  • Love 1
(edited)

Production Dates - Various Shows *Updated 16th June 2018*
Posted by Christopher at June 16, 2018 
https://www.spoilertv.com/2015/06/various-shows-production-dates.html

Show                              Network    Start Date      End Date
Arrow                              CW             July 6, 2018      April 11, 2019
Black Lightning               CW             Wrapped          Wrapped
Legends of Tomorrow    CW             July 5, 2018       January 24, 2018 [sic]
Supergirl                         CW             July 11, 2018     April 15, 2019
The Flash                        CW              July 6, 2018      April 10, 2018 [sic]

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

You can also sample the tracks at Amazon...

Crisis On Earth-X (Original Television Score)
Blake Neely, Nathaniel Blume, Daniel James Chan, Sherri Chung
https://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Earth-X-Original-Television-Score/dp/B07DP65ZHB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529258738&sr=8-1&keywords=crisis+on+earth+x+soundtrack

1    The Flag Still Stands    
2    We're Going To The Wedding
3    Dark Arrow, The Fuhrer
4    Pretending Nothing Happened
5    Best Wedding Ever!
6    Prometheus-X Locked Away
7    A Special Kind Of Idiot
8    Oliver Wants A Yes
9    Being True To Yourself
10    Sides Meet - Saving The Building
11    Big Messy Brawl With Nazis
12    Dark Arrow Storms The Lab
13    Overgirl Needs A Heart
14    March To Their Deaths - Meeting The Ray
15    Two Warriors
16    Sneaking Oliver In
17    Inside Nazi Command Center
18    Storm Chasers
19    A Hero Falls
20    Ending A Tornado To Open A Breach
21    Breached Back Into Mayhem
22    Like A Father
23    Rememberances
24    Heroes Unite
25    Disabling The Shields
26    For The Win!
27    A Kiss Goodbye - Surprise Double Wedding

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Production Dates - Various Shows *Updated 16th June 2018*
Posted by Christopher at June 16, 2018 
https://www.spoilertv.com/2015/06/various-shows-production-dates.html

Legends of Tomorrow    CW             July 5, 2018       January 24, 2018 [sic]
The Flash                        CW              July 6, 2018      April 10, 2018 [sic]

Heh! Look at the 2 shows capable of time travel traveling back in time to finish shooting before they start!

• Love 9
(edited)

I haven't been following the Batgirl comics, but I noticed this article only because it refers to an implant in Barbara's spine that enables her to walk...

Get your first look at Batgirl’s new costume — and her new direction
By Meg Downey  Jun 15, 2018, 12:37pm EDT
https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/6/15/17466032/batgirl-new-costume-redesign

Barbara Gordon’s world is about to be flipped upside down as a new era dawns for Burnside’s favorite daughter. Complete with a brand new look and an all new creative team made up of writer Mairghread Scott and artists Paul Pelletier and Elena Casagrande, Batgirl is leaving her neighborhood and heading back to Gotham City proper to face down a new — and deeply personal — threat, starting with Batgirl #26 on August 22nd.

With a design concept by Sean Gordon Murphy, Babs’ new look is a pretty far cry from the pastel purple moto jacket she’s been wearing since the Batgirl of Burnside soft reboot back in 2015.
But it’s not going to be easy — on top Grotesque’s grisly reappearance, Babs suffers what Scott calls a “really traumatic injury” at the start of the arc. “The implant that allows her to walk is shorting out,” she explained, and that’s not all. “But when that happens, [Babs’] is just like, ‘Oh, okay, my legs aren’t working, I can deal with that. It’s fine.’ Because she was Oracle for a long time, you know? She knows how to operate without the chip.”
Scott later said that she studied and spoke with wheelchair users about forms of self-defense and martial arts to get an idea of exactly how effective Barbara could be without the use of her legs. That’s not what worries Batgirl at all. The real fear is much more insidious.

“We decided that this implant is in her spine, it’s got to hook into her brain somehow. So that’s the risk — she’s a girl who can survive anything as long as she has her brain, but what happens if her brain is suddenly becoming an unreliable place?” Scott continued, “My mom had a brain tumor, so I pulled a lot of what Babs is going through here from her — it was a lot of awkward conversations like ‘Hey, so, you know how it felt when you were brain damaged?’”

batgirl-new-costume-1-copy-1116200.jpeg

batgirl-redesign-costume-1116201.jpeg

Edited by tv echo

If I wasn't 100% sure that Arrow would screw it up, I would say that this could be an interesting story for Felicity AND could tie into her company.  Her chip could start shorting out, she runs an analysis on it, and discovers that it has a shelf life of only a few years.  She fixes the problem herself, patents the new design, and now she has a better product to base her company on.  It also would cut out Curtis and could be wrapped up in only a couple episodes if they don't want to give it heavy focus. 

I'm also looking forward to this story for Babs.  As awful as her fridging in Killing Joke was, her rebirth as Oracle was amazing and demonstrated that her greatest asset really is her brain.  She can handle anything as long as her brain is in tact so the only real way to go after Babs is to go after her brain.  DC has played with this over the years and Babs always comes through so this one should be fun.

• Love 7
(edited)

Happy hearing about Lucifer, didnt hear the news until late last night! Every time I have a super busy weekend tons of entertainment stuff happens! I hope Netflix allows them to course correct the blah recent season, and take some more risks and get more interesting. I mean, how is a show about the Devil so tame? 

Saw The Incredibles 2, and I thought it was really cute. Not as dark and complex as the first one, but a lot of fun with some good animation, and I thought it was a natural continuation of the story.

Sure has been a lot of Network swapping and Save Our Show campaigns this year. And successful ones! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

I haven't been following the Batgirl comics, but I noticed this article only because it refers to an implant in Barbara's spine that enables her to walk...

Get your first look at Batgirl’s new costume — and her new direction
By Meg Downey  Jun 15, 2018, 12:37pm EDT
https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/6/15/17466032/batgirl-new-costume-redesign

batgirl-new-costume-1-copy-1116200.jpeg

batgirl-redesign-costume-1116201.jpeg

She's had the implant since The New52 relaunch in late 2011. It would've been a good angle for Arrow to take with Felicity instead of just ignoring it once she could walk again.
IGLPh.jpg

Though I really wish they'd just go back to her New52 costume. 

(edited)

I guess Shirley Li is Natalie Abrams' replacement for this EW podcast...

Entertainment Weekly - Superhero Insider: Supergirl, DC Shake Up, Aquaman, The Incredibles
June 16, 2018

This week on Superhero Insider Kyle Anderson is joined by Shirley Li and Chance Agard and they discuss Supergirl, the DC shakeups, the new EW cover of Aquaman, and we flashback this Friday to The Incredibles.

Edited by tv echo

FYI...

6 minutes ago, tv echo said:

This week and next weekend's cons/events (updated, with schedules)...

Collector's Paradise bookstore, June 20, 2018 (Pasadena, CA)
Marc Guggenheim will be signing X-Men Gold #30 from 5:00pm - 8:00pm 
https://twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/1002293482013147136

Supanova Perth, June 22-24, 2018 (AU)
Juliana Harkavy, Matt Ryan and Summer Glau (also Brandon Routh and Carlos Valdes)
http://www.supanova.com.au/events/perth-2018/guests/
Event Programme (pdf)
Sat. (6/23) at 11:30am - Juliana Harkavy panel
Sat. (6/23) at 1:30pm - Carlos Valdes panel
Sun. (6/24) at 11:00am - Summer Glau panel
Sun. (6/24) at 1:00pm - Brandon Routh panel
Sun. (6/24) at 3:00pm - Matt Ryan panel

Super Heroes Con IV, June 23-24, 2018 (Paris, France)
Paul Blackthorne, John Barrowman, Manu Bennett, Josh Segarra and Kirk Acevedo (also Rick Cosnett)
http://www.people-convention.com/en/pages/next-events/super-heroes-con.html
No panel schedule posted yet.

Arsenal Comics & Games comic shop, June 23, 2018 (Newbury Park, CA)
Marc Guggenheim will be signing X-Men Gold #30 from 2:00pm - 4:00pm 
https://twitter.com/Arsenal_comics/status/1003489475857604608

ACE Comic Con, June 22-24, 2018 (Seattle, WA)
(Grant Gustin-Sat. only)
http://www.aceuniverse.com/events/seattle/featured-guests.html/
Celebrity Guest Schedule
Sat. (6/23) at 4:00pm - "A Conversation with Grant Gustin: The Flash" panel

(edited)

TV's 20 Most Polarizing Characters: Do You Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?

There are certain TV characters who when highlighted in a news item, scoop or feature story that elicit, um, “strong” reactions from their show’s collective fan base — either on social media or in myriad TVLine comments sections. You either love ’em… or you loathe ’em. There’s very little in-between.

Check out the gallery above (or click here direct access) to see if your (least?) favorites made the list, and also vote for the way you see these pop-culture pot-stirrers.

1.  Laurel, ‘Arrow’ [Black Siren, not E1!Laurel, apparently]

2.  Nate, ‘DC’s Legends of Tomorrow’

3.  Ralph, ‘The Flash’

4.  The Frost Triplets, ‘The Gifted’

10.  Danny, ‘Marvel’s Iron Fist’

14.  Archie, ‘Riverdale’

18.  Mon-El, ‘Supergirl’

Edited by Starfish35

I think the problem with all these regulars on The Flash is that the show spends way too much time in Star Labs as it is. It felt cramped and crowded last season, with only 6 regulars and some recurring characters.

More salaries to pay may mean less for locations/sets, and now I just imagine getting even bigger crowds of people squeezed into Star Labs, and cutting everyone's dialogue so that each person is sure to get at least one line. I'm concerned.

• Love 6

I think I need to get some rehab for my list addiction. I can’t not read and comment. 

I’m not voting (btw having a vote doesn’t make any sense) but here’s my thoughts: 

1. Earth 1 Laurel and Black Siren were/are both set up for a legit fascinating story: the consequences of a devoted lawyer becoming a vigilante. And Arrow has not explored this at all. Laurel became a vigilante in response to Sara’s murder. There wasn’t a long term disillusionment with the law she’d sworn to uphold, or a realization that the only way she could achieve justice is to break the law herself. No she stole Sara’s costume and vigilante identity (and no exploration of the irony of THAT contrasted with her season 2 accusation), found she liked beating up bad guys and spending time around Oliver and that was it. Nor was there any concern that she’d be discovered and her convictions would get overturned. She also showed no physical signs of strain at juggling the long hours in her day job and the lack of sleep that her night job required. No she was apparently perfectly capable of doing both, was never in danger of discovery (fingerless gloves), and never saw a contradiction between her two jobs. 

Siren was a second chance and it was squandered again. Everyone knows that Laurel was Black Canary yet Siren was never in danger of arrest, Laurel’s convictions were never in danger of being overturned, and she’s still free to come and go in a city that voted to be anti-vigilante. Apparently that law only applies to Oliver. 

2. Nate just sucks. He’s a terrible historian, his hemophilia was barely even a plot point, and he’s a poor man’s Ray in a bad way. I can’t even think of a potential story for him because he sucks just that much. Make him go away. 

3. Ralph sucks more than Nate so they can go away together. 

16. Steve’s hair is amazing. 

18. If the show weren’t called Supergirl I’d be certain that Mon-el was brought on to replace Kara as the lead. In fact I think that’s the only reason he isn’t. He’s already replaced James, J’onn, and Alex in different ways and I’m over it. Go back to the future and treat Imra better. 

I’m relieved that there’s only a few shows that I watch on that list cause I don’t have the kind of time needed for the whole thing. 

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I think the problem with all these regulars on The Flash is that the show spends way too much time in Star Labs as it is. It felt cramped and crowded last season, with only 6 regulars and some recurring characters.

More salaries to pay may mean less for locations/sets, and now I just imagine getting even bigger crowds of people squeezed into Star Labs, and cutting everyone's dialogue so that each person is sure to get at least one line. I'm concerned.

Arrow had 9-10 regulars last season, Legends had  10 last season... I guess it's The Flash's time now.

5 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

2. Nate just sucks. He’s a terrible historian, his hemophilia was barely even a plot point, and he’s a poor man’s Ray in a bad way. I can’t even think of a potential story for him because he sucks just that much. Make him go away. 

I like Nate. And I can’t explain why, because he’s kind of useless (especially because he barely Steeled up this season) and basically a dudebro version of Ray.

5 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

18. If the show weren’t called Supergirl I’d be certain that Mon-el was brought on to replace Kara as the lead. In fact I think that’s the only reason he isn’t. He’s already replaced James, J’onn, and Alex in different ways and I’m over it. Go back to the future and treat Imra better. 

Looks like you got your wish tonight. ?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

I like Nate.

In fairness to Nick Zano, he seems like a decent guy and I'm happy to watch him on another show or movie (assuming it interests me).  I just haaaaaate Nate, though I'm filled with smug that the CW's obvious attempt at making him the Leading Man of LOT backfired as soon as it began back in season 2. 

13 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

Looks like you got your wish tonight. ?

party.gif

• Love 3
(edited)

If I was not spoiled I'd be shocked to se Mon-el leave. It made the most sense for the character and his growth for him to leave but the writers loved Mon-el . Chris is a talented actor though so I wish him the best and hope he gets a good new role. Preferably something with comedy as he really excels at that. 

I'm annoyed that the show is indicating that Alex will spend even less time on the field when they already sidelined her from the field enough this season. And Mehcad Brooks said we'd see Guardian at the DEO next season so we can look forward to James getting Alex's action scenes. Why?

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3