Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

No, it's more like Clueless where the main pairing seems widely accepted. 

When I was young, I also was clueless but in subsequent viewings, it squiked me out and that was even with his character being portrayed as only around her some of the time since he mostly lived at his moms and only visited his dad occasionally and of course being substantially older (also a problem for me).  

Edited by BkWurm1

I don't mind Barry/Iris but they had Wally tell Amnesiac Barry that he was his brother. I don't see how they can argue that Barry and Wally who met as adults are siblings but Barry and Iris who were partially raised together are not. I don't consider Barry and Iris siblings but sometimes I feel like the show wants it both ways.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Sorry I don't understand what Clueless has to do with this. But I also haven't watched Clueless forever so I'm not following the analogy. For me, the show having Iris acknowledge there was even a hint of a quasi sibling relationship makes WestAllen a big nope for me. JMHO

It's a similar relationship in Clueless where Alicia Silverstone's character's father and Paul Rudd's character's mother were married, then divorced.  So they lived in the same household and AS's father considered PR his son, though they weren't actually siblings by blood. 

• Love 3

I

Just now, raven said:

It's a similar relationship in Clueless where Alicia Silverstone's character's father and Paul Rudd's character's mother were married, then divorced.  So they lived in the same household and AS's father considered PR his son, though they weren't actually siblings by blood. 

Ah thanks. I couldn't remember the details.

7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'm not sure I agree with this interpretation, that it was only after Joe believed his dad was innocent that he considered him a father figure, but I definitely think that Barry has indicated since then that he does see Joe as the father he grew up with.  

I think Barry was blind to the ways Joe was there for him as a mentor figure because of the anger and resentment he had towards him for booking his father and not believing him about Reverse Flash. 

I kinda view it similar to the Goldbergs but just at an earlier age for Barry. On the other show Jeff Garlin's character considered his wife's father as his own dad more than he did his biological father. IIRC he met Bev's dad before he met Beverly. 

My biggest issue with Westallen is I don't get why Iris wants to be with Barry. I get why Barry wants to be with Iris, but it seems like Iris wants to be with Barry because comics? In Season One, Iris clearly chose Eddie over Barry despite "destiny", yet somehow the switch flipped and she wants to be with Barry, but they never really explain or show why. And yes, the fact that they both consider the same guy to be their dad is very weird. 

I also don't get why not shipping Iris and Barry is racist? Especially considering most of us, on this board at least, think Iris is too good for (Baby Sara-deleting) Barry. 

Edited by DrSpaceman10
  • Love 15
19 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

No, it's more like Clueless where the main pairing seems widely accepted. 

In Clueless, Cher emphasizes that her dad and Josh's mom were very briefly married and that she doesn't even know why Josh showed up at her dad's house all the time. (He explained that it was because his mom remarried and he didn't get along with his new stepdad.) There's no indication that Josh and Cher lived in the same household together for years like Barry and Iris did.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 7

I have never understood why anyone cares about that. To me if there's no blood relation it's not an issue. Period. I don't care about living in the same house.

Also I see a lot of people who ship actual incestuous couples on other shows/movies, so I don't get why this one bugs so much. 

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

Outsiders perspective. Plus nothing in their interactions from 1x01 to present says that they see each other in that way. 

Even if Iris hadn't said it, it still would have come up in boards like these. 

But she did say it, so it’s disingenuous to assert that a comment like Iris being Barry’s sister-fiancée is “seeping with racism” since the familial connection between Barry and Iris/Joe is one the show did make and continues to make. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, raven said:

Oh yeah, they were actual step-siblings for a time.

42 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm kind of perplexed at the idea that Barry and Iris didn't spend most of their formative years living together as essentially siblings. They did and Iris acknowledges it in dialogue. I just assumed folks who are supportive of WestAllen don't care that they were raised more or less as siblings.

For myself, I can accept that Iris and Barry got past the question of sibling-like circumstances but the fact that the show set it up in a way that I and the characters first have to get past even the question of how sibling like are they, was IMO a huge turnoff to the pairing in the first place.  They may have meant to only bring it up to dismiss it, but it's telling IMO that they HAD to bring it up. 

They probably would have been better off having Barry stuck being bounced around in foster care with the Wests trying to be there every chance they were allowed (set up some technical reason why he couldn't raise him) so that he'd have them as a pseudo family but with a suitable distance.  Maybe not have him move in until he was 18 so there would be no question of what status Iris had in Barry's life or vice versa.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman10 said:

My biggest issue with Westallen is I don't get why Iris wants to be with Barry. I get why Barry wants to be with Iris, but it seems like Iris wants to be with Barry because comics? In Season One, Iris clearly chose Eddie over Barry despite "destiny", yet somehow the switch flipped and she wants to be with Barry, but they never really explain or show why. And yes, the fact that the both consider the same guy to be their dad is very weird. 

I also don't get why not shipping Iris and Barry is racist? Especially considering most of us, on this board at least, think Iris is too good for (Baby Sara-deleting) Barry. 

Yeah, they said in season one that Barry and Iris were BF and that Iris thought Barry was the best guy she knew but they IMO didn't do a great job showing their friendship outside of Barry's romantic interest.  I'm sure that's a your mileage may vary thing though.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I have never understood why anyone cares about that. To me if there's no blood relation it's not an issue. Period.

Maybe some have an adoptive sibling (raises hand) and find it a weird set up. The idea that blood only matters doesn't really sit right with me. 

• Love 11

In s1 the disconnect was purposeful because of the secret and Eddie....after that though...it was the Patty effect when CW exhibited their usual racism when attempting to ease Candice out. 

1 minute ago, Chaser said:

Maybe some have an adoptive sibling (raises hand) and find it a weird set up. The idea that blood only matters doesn't really sit right with me. 

Joe never adopted Barry. 

Edited by wingster55
  • Love 1

I'm one of the few who actually don't find the sibling-ish romance thing weird even though I don't ship WA! I was raised on 2 types of destiny romances (hehe my parents were so sketchy letting a 6yo watch all sorts of teary dramas):

1. Best friends raised together like siblings who fall in love - WA in this case

2. Guy who could never commit/really love anyone runs into that one girl he's been missing all his life - Olicity

Although you could argue the steady friendship/ supportive partnership grows into romance story for Olicity as well as the destiny trope! Hehe that's why it's sooooo amazing!

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

I think Barry was blind to the ways Joe was there for him as a mentor figure because of the anger and resentment he had towards him for booking his father and not believing him about Reverse Flash. 

I kinda view it similar to the Goldbergs but just at an earlier age for Barry. On the other show Jeff Garlin's character considered his wife's father as his own dad more than he did his biological father. IIRC he met Bev's dad before he met Beverly. 

The big difference for me is Barry was a kid while Murray on the Goldbergs was never that with "Pops"

3 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

In s1 the disconnect was purposeful because of the secret and Eddie....after that though...it was the Patty effect when CW exhibited their usual racism when attempting to ease Candice out. 

Patty was a ship stall to give Iris enough time to properly grieve, not a ship eraser.  That always seemed clear to me.  

• Love 3

Patty was a ship stall to give Iris enough time to properly grieve, not a ship eraser.  That always seemed clear to me.  

I feel the same way. 

I think Westallen shippers have made a good case before how based on canon Iris had feelings for Barry always/before he fell into coma and despite what she might have said, Eddie WAS a stall ship too. 

In real life I also think that adopted siblings count the same as real siblings and the setup would be pretty weird, but it's fiction so I don't care. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I have never understood why anyone cares about that. To me if there's no blood relation it's not an issue. Period. I don't care about living in the same house.

Also I see a lot of people who ship actual incestuous couples on other shows/movies, so I don't get why this one bugs so much. 

Well, if we can point to an example of someone who ships Cersei and Jaime on Game of Thrones but is also running around squawking OMG WESTALLEN IS AWFUL BECAUSE THE WHOLE FOSTER THING MAKES THEM SIBLINGS AND I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT, then, sure, but my general sense is that the fans who have raised concerns about the foster sibling stuff for Westallen are pretty much the same ones looking at Cersei and Jaime and going, wow, ick. Or, for that matter, going wow, ick, at Jon and Dany or Jon and Sansa or Jon and Arya or Jon/whatever relative I'm forgetting here. 

For the record, I ship Cersei and Painful Death, and Dany and Please Stick With the Dragons Your Taste In Men Tends To Be Awful, and Sansa and A Productive Powerful Single Life, and Arya and Gendry, but I'm also generally all about the best friends who grow up together and then realize It's Twu Luv (I blame an overindulgence in L. M. Montgomery novels in childhood). Leaving me decidedly meh on Game of Thrones ongoing "incest! it sells our show! we think!" while still being happy with the setup for WestAllen.  At the very least it's an enormous improvement over "I slept with your sister and then our boat got shipwrecked and then you slept with my best friend." 

It's the execution that hasn't worked for me, but we'll see what happens this season. 

• Love 15

For me it's mostly a matter of chemistry. I wouldn't consider myself much of an incest shipper but I do think that on tv there's definitely cases where I can understand why there are fans simply because a lot of tv siblings don't feel like siblings but like what they are: two actors who are not related and don't really know each other standing next to each other pretending to be siblings. 

That's why for example shipping romantic Kara/Alex (even though they are not blood related) makes me want to stab my eyes out, because two me that's 2 of the very few actors who really have believable sibling chemistry to me on tv, aka a chemistry that feels true to how siblings actually feel. Westallen might SAY they have this long history together but the chemistry doesn't actually feel that different from strangers to me. 

Of course your mileage may vary, but there are just a lot more Kara/Alex interactions that remind me of my real life sibling behavior which is why I can just never see them as sexual with each other. Of course chemistry is in the eye of the beholder and especially with something as personal of "reminds me of my relationship with my real life relatives", that's not really something that is easily transferable from one person to the next. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

The big difference for me is Barry was a kid while Murray on the Goldbergs was never that with "Pops"

That's how it turned out, but back when 2A was happening there was SO. MUCH. PATTY. and SO. LITTLE. IRIS. that if Patty had taken more of a following than Iris/Candice would have been eased out. But Patty didn't gain that following and imo the Iris standom wouldn't let that fly. 

I think people overestimate how flexible writers are on changing things like Westallen. I don't buy for a second that there was every any consideration to replace Iris as Barry's OTP regardless of how popular other things might or might not have been. 

• Love 10

I was totally on board Barry/Patty because she seemed better matched with him (they were such cute kids), as Iris was with Barry (adults).  But I never thought Patty was going to be Barry's endgame (no matter how much I wanted it.

44 minutes ago, tofutan said:

I think Westallen shippers have made a good case before how based on canon Iris had feelings for Barry always/before he fell into coma and despite what she might have said, Eddie WAS a stall ship too.

Therein lies the problem -- that it comes from canon rather than from anything on screen or in the writing of the show. Oliver/Laurel was also based on canon but the TPTB looked at them on screen and said "Where can we find another love interest for Oliver and save our show?"

For 1 1/2 seasons the only feelings I saw from Iris towards Barry were BF/sibling.  Pulling in comics canon isn't going to change that.

I don't mean comic canon, I mean stuff the show said about Barry and Iris and what their relationship was like before the coma. There are some pretty good debates on this in the shipper topic on the Flash board that I find fairly convincing. 

Westallen reminds me of Lana/Clark from Smallville (except not awful) in the sense that to me the writers always felt really happy with it. Like they might not be able to often think of anything interesting for Iris to do, but that mirrors how the writers of Smallville (I mean the main, original writers, the shift towards Lois didn't take place till the original creators left) always struggled to write anything sensible for Lana, but they were still 100% on board with Clana. 

To me that's what makes it feel really different than the Arrow writers who always felt like they were struggling to come up with anything not just for Laurel, but also Lauriver from pretty much the start. 

• Love 3

I personally am not invested in Barry/Iris but I can see their appeal to the general audience. They are cute and pleasant. I don't buy the whole epic romance thing with them but imo they are cute enough for the general audience to accept the ship. 

Even if they don't float my boat I don't find them awful like Oliver/Laurel where one half of the ship was perpetually smug and/or angry while the other half looked at her like she was something he had to scrape off his lawn. 

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Im super excited that there is someone who ships GOT the same way I do. 

Also, Anne and Gilbert is how you do the trope. 

I'm rather partial to Emily and Teddy.  Or even Pat and Hilary (though he was way too obsessed with windows) Anne and Gilbert were more frenemies until after high school.  

Bringing up L M Montgomery and her books does remind me how much I was fine with BFF's as kids growing into a real love with they are older.  The sibling vibe doesn't IMO come from just knowing someone as a kid or hanging out all the time.  Or even being struck in the friend zone like Barry was with Iris when she was dating Eddie. 

My issue with WestAllen remains that I don't feel like they did enough to prove to me that Barry and Iris were best friends outside of the familiar relationship and now it's really too late to redo that earlier connection.  I think season one was more sparse on their friendship than I would have liked but yeah, season two Barry seemed to just drop Iris from his life in a way that really weirded me out.  I understand from a narrative sense they wanted to give Iris and the audience some distance from Eddie's death before anything happened romantically with her and Barry but the writers handled their relationship so incredibly poorly that season that I'm still trying to get over it. 

Iris choosing Eddie and trying to buck destiny is easier to let go of than the "Iris who?" of season 2A and the "well, I guess our future is already decided, I guess we should date" Iris of season 2B and the even worse response of Barry which was mostly just nothing and then topped at the end of the season when she's really trying to connect an clearly now ready to be there romantically and he now is back to "Iris who?" and runs off to undo everything, clearly not at all worried that he's totally risking anything he has with Iris at that moment. 

I'm with Mellowyellow.  I can appreciate them as cute and pleasant, but I have such issues with how and why and when they got together. Even Barry happily skipping off to the speedforce at the end of season 3 feels like more of the same.  Iris is devastated and Barry's like, well, whatcha going to do, shrug and doesn't even leave her with any hope or ask for them to search for a solution.  He acts like it all makes perfect senses and while not what he'd have chosen, perfectly reasonable.  Does not compute.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Here is the Westallen conversation I was thinking of btw, somebody saying that Iris didn't seem to be having feeling for Barry and season 1 and Westallen shippers listing all the instances of the show stating that she did (even though it was mostly tell don't show with other characters noting it): 

Speed Dating

• Love 1

Episode descriptions for CW DCTV week three (I think week two has already been posted?):

(all from TheFutonCritic.com)

MONDAY, OCTOBER 23

SUPERGIRL

"Far From the Tree" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

CARLOS BERNARD ("24") GUEST STARS; HELEN SLATER RETURNS - Eliza (guest star Helen Slater) throws Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to reach out to her estranged father (guest star Carlos Bernard). Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) joins J'onn (David Harewood) on a personal mission. Dermott Downs directed the episode written by Jessica Queller & Derek Simon (#303). Original airdate 10/23/2017.

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 24

THE FLASH

"Luck Be a Lady" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

DC COMICS' CHARACTER HAZARD COMES TO PLAY IN CENTRAL CITY - Barry (Grant Gustin) and the team are hit by a string of bad luck and realize it is the handiwork of a new meta, Becky (guest star Sugar-Lyn Beard) nicknamed Hazard, who has the ability to give others bad luck, while cashing in the benefits for herself. Meanwhile, Harry Wells (Tom Cavanagh) returns to Earth-1 to give Wally (Keiynan Lonsdale) a message from Jesse. Armen V. Kevorkian directed the episode written by Sam Chalsen & Judalina Neira (#403). Original airdate 10/24/2017.

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 24

DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW

"Zari" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

OUTLAWS - When Sara (Caity Lotz) receives a distress call from their "befriended" agent at the Time Bureau, she learns that they have been tasked with going to the future to capture a rogue time traveler. Unfortunately, the Legends make things worse by trying to protect an outlaw named Zari (Tala Ashe), to hopefully lure in the time travelling assassin. Meanwhile, Stein (Victor Garber) tries to diagnose Amaya's (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) condition, but Nate (Nick Zano) discovers an unusual treatment that Amaya begrudgingly agrees to. Brandon Routh, Dominic Purcell and Franz Drameh also star. Mairzee Almas directed the episode written by James Eagan & Ray Utarnachitt (#303). Original airdate 10/24/2017.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 26

ARROW

"Next of Kin" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

DC CHARACTER ONYX VISITS STAR CITY - A rogue black ops team led by Onyx (guest star Chastity Dotson) breaks into Kord Industries and steals something lethal. Oliver (Stephen Amell) struggles to connect with William (guest star Jack Moore) so he reaches out to a surprising source for help. Kevin Tancharoen directed the episode written by Speed Weed & Oscar Balderrama (#603). Original airdate 10/26/2017.

Eliza (guest star Helen Slater) throws Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to reach out to her estranged father (guest star Carlos Bernard).

Which probably stirs up Maggie's desire not to have kids.

5 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Meanwhile, Harry Wells (Tom Cavanagh) returns to Earth-1 to give Wally (Keiynan Lonsdale) a message from Jesse.

Think he's getting dumped?  Lol.  

Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Which probably stirs up Maggie's desire not to have kids.

Think he's getting dumped?  Lol.  

Probably, to both. 

I'm curious about what kind of condition Amaya has, and what this "unusual treatment" is.

• Love 1

There are a lot of variations of Anne.  I remember the books best, and how she broke her slate over Gilbert's head.  I don't think it was until after Matthew's death and  Gilbert giving up the Avonlea school for her that Anne considered him as more than an enemy.

17 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

When Sara (Caity Lotz) receives a distress call from their "befriended" agent at the Time Bureau, she learns that they have been tasked with going to the future to capture a rogue time traveler.

If the Legends are such persona non grata with the Time Bureau, why would they give them a task?

13 minutes ago, tofutan said:

Here is the Westallen conversation I was thinking of btw, somebody saying that Iris didn't seem to be having feeling for Barry and season 1 and Westallen shippers listing all the instances of the show stating that she did (even though it was mostly tell don't show with other characters noting it): 

Speed Dating

Thanks for the link.

Season 1, Episode 15.  Iris confesses her feelings to Barry.  That's canon on the SHOW.

Also - Joe's actual words when he told Barry why he didn't give permission to Eddie to marry Iris was "She has feelings for YOU Barry. She might not realize them yet, but they are there."  That too, is canon on the show.

Also - Iris didn't look squicked out by Barry's confession - she just looked sad.  Later she told Joe that Barry had been too late - so I imagine the look she had was actually some form of regret that he didn't tell her sooner before she dated Eddie.  Which ties in specifically to what Joe said about Iris having feelings for Barry when he turned Eddie's proposal away.  That's not Joe not wanting Iris to grow up (it might be partly that) but clearly the show was painting Joe as knowing his daughter so well that he KNEW she loved Barry THAT WAY and while she might not be aware (we could argue that the idea is a bit sexist for Joe to know her mind but she doesn't but eh...), he knew and thus he was trying to save her from herself and from a situation where she married Eddie and then suddenly "woke up" to the reality that she was in love with Barry.

I don't remember what feelings Iris confessed to Barry in ep 15 but I think I would have noticed if Iris had told him that she loved him in a romantic way and dumped Eddie for him.  Instead she continued to live with Eddie and seemed very happy with him.  Even after Iris was confronted with her "destiny" of marrying Barry, she chose to screw destiny and get engaged to Eddie.

I think Joe may have been a good father to Iris when she was little, but he's a pretty crappy parent now.  He hid the fact that her mother is still alive, he gives Barry more consideration than he gives Iris and I think he's now put Wally in second place in his affections.  The idea that Joe refused Eddie permission to ask Iris to marry him because he wanted Iris to marry Barry still makes steam come out of my ears.  Iris may have been the only real adult in that house.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If the Legends are such persona non grata with the Time Bureau, why would they give them a task?

@Proteus posted this spoiler from EW over in the Legends Spoilers thread:

What will we see of Rip this season on Legends of Tomorrow? — Rosa
Even though Rip has created his own Time Bureau, we have not seen the last of him working with the Legends, especially once he starts to uncover the underlying mystery running through this season. “There’s a thing that he discovers, which is very important to him and he feels like, at times, he can sort out on his own, and then also realizes he needs to call on the Legends in order to help him,” Arthur Darvill says. “The Time Bureau, as much as they’re brilliant, they do things in too much of an official way in order for, in his opinion, things to actually get done. So his interaction with the Legends, at the moment, is very much as a means to an end for him in terms of what he’s trying to achieve.”

So I'm assuming that this "befriended agent" is Rip, and he sends them on some sort of "unofficial" mission.  But that may not be accurate - I'm just guessing.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

There are a lot of variations of Anne.  I remember the books best, and how she broke her slate over Gilbert's head.  I don't think it was until after Matthew's death and  Gilbert giving up the Avonlea school for her that Anne considered him as more than an enemy.

I pretty much only think of the books or the PBS Megan Follows mini-series.  I keep forgetting about the new series.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'm rather partial to Emily and Teddy.  Or even Pat and Hilary (though he was way too obsessed with windows) Anne and Gilbert were more frenemies until after high school.  

Arrghhhhhhh we keep shipping the same stuff!!!! You gotta come to Aus and visit me!!!!!!!!!

On another note the LMM cousin thing and old man/really young girl in her short stories always weirded me out!

Valancy and Barney are my ultimate LMM OTP though!

• Love 2

So any speculation on what "befriended" means? At first I thought, okay, since many people were speculating about the lady from the Time Bureaus being Sara's new love interest, maybe they start something a lot more quickly than I thought. But then I thought maybe it means something like blackmail? I hadn't really thought about how it  could be code for Rip. 

With Constantine coming to Legends, maybe he and Sara will start something since they said they would do more with Sara's bisexuality? 

Edited by tofutan
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Arrghhhhhhh we keep shipping the same stuff!!!! You gotta come to Aus and visit me!!!!!!!!!

On another note the LMM cousin thing and old man/really young girl in her short stories always weirded me out!

Valancy and Barney are my ultimate LMM OTP though!

Taking to the Quiver.  :D

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

New straw poll:  Guess the ratings for the Supergirl Season 3 premiere tomorrow tonight.

Season two premiered (in its first episode on the CW) at 1.1, but the ratings for the last four episodes were 0.5, 0.6, 0.5, and 0.6.

If you want to review the ratings history:

Supergirl Season 2 at SpottedRatings.com

Supergirl Season 2 at TVSeriesFinale.com

I went with 0.7, which is what I'm thinking Arrow will do as well.

That Supergirl sneak peek is...awful. OMG. What they've done to Kara is embarrassing. I thought the internets were exaggerating but nope. Yikes.

6 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

New straw poll:  Guess the ratings for the Supergirl Season 3 premiere tomorrow tonight.

Season two premiered (in its first episode on the CW) at 1.1, but the ratings for the last four episodes were 0.5, 0.6, 0.5, and 0.6.

Part of me thinks more people will tune in simply because it's the season premiere but then I remembered this hiatus has been particularly messy for Supergirl so I went with a 0.7. (My initial thought was 0.8 for some reason so I dropped it a little.)