Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Wow, I don't remember any relatively recent movies having such a hatedom as BvS. Only 50 Shades/Twilight come to mind (and maybe new Ghostbusters? It hasn't come out yet though). It seems that so many people hate it and want it to be unsuccessful. (I don't fall in any camps, but I generally don't care about DC or Zack Snyder).

About the only movie I can think of that comes close is the reboot of Fantastic Four.  It got about as much criticism as this movie did for casting but I don't think it did as well as this one did at the box office.

Wait. Seriously?? Who came up with that? No wonder these movies don't work.

It's the WB's m.o. for most of their tentpole movies. If there's not a big name writer attached to it already, they write it by committee.

I shed a little tear when I first read the news that Batfleck is writing the next Batman movie with Geoff Johns, just because an actual coherent script might come out of it.

• Love 10

If they are going to "write by committee" they should tap the writers for their animated series and movies.  Seriously, some of that stuff might not be "filmable" but there is still some decent stories going on there.

• Love 1

If they are going to "write by committee" they should tap the writers for their animated series and movies.  Seriously, some of that stuff might not be "filmable" but there is still some decent stories going on there.

I agree, but I've been told two things by people ~in the know~. 1. WB Pictures has so many rando writers on retainer that they need to give them stuff to do to justify their salaries, and 2. there's some sort of ~rift between WB Pictures execs and the folks who run DC Animated, that's been going on for aaaaages, which is why the DCA writers/producers don't get the big gigs, even though they know these characters way better than the rando writers.

I take it all with a grant of salt, but also, Hollywood is basically run on egos.

• Love 6

Okay, this is kind of random, but I need some clarification re: Arrow & LoT.  In Arrow, Damian Darhk has that totem that gives him magic powers.  We've also seen Damian Darhk in LoT in the 1970s (at that auction).  I had assumed that the totem that gives him his powers also gave him a longer life span, which is why he looks exactly the same in the 1970s as he does in 2016.  But now Arrow has confirmed that his totem is the one Oliver & co. discover on the island in the flashbacks that occur only 5 years prior (so 2011).  So... can someone explain Damian Darhk's longevity to me??

• Love 1

I'm seeing some rumors that there is in fact going to be a death on Flash this season (maybe this has been discussed previously in this thread and I missed it - if so my apologies!!).

Any thoughts on who it might be? If it's a main cast member, I'm going to put my money on Caitlin.

• Love 1

Okay, this is kind of random, but I need some clarification re: Arrow & LoT.  In Arrow, Damian Darhk has that totem that gives him magic powers.  We've also seen Damian Darhk in LoT in the 1970s (at that auction).  I had assumed that the totem that gives him his powers also gave him a longer life span, which is why he looks exactly the same in the 1970s as he does in 2016.  But now Arrow has confirmed that his totem is the one Oliver & co. discover on the island in the flashbacks that occur only 5 years prior (so 2011).  So... can someone explain Damian Darhk's longevity to me??

In late S3, the old Ra's told Oliver that when DD broke with the League of Assassins some centuries prior, DD stole a whole bunch of Lazarus Pit water. They never mentioned it again after that, or where does he keep the water, or how he uses it... but it's the only explanation we have.

• Love 6

Okay, this is kind of random, but I need some clarification re: Arrow & LoT. In Arrow, Damian Darhk has that totem that gives him magic powers. We've also seen Damian Darhk in LoT in the 1970s (at that auction). I had assumed that the totem that gives him his powers also gave him a longer life span, which is why he looks exactly the same in the 1970s as he does in 2016. But now Arrow has confirmed that his totem is the one Oliver & co. discover on the island in the flashbacks that occur only 5 years prior (so 2011). So... can someone explain Damian Darhk's longevity to me??

Last season Ra's told Oliver that Damien took some Lazarus Pit water with him when he left the league. Presumably that's what he's been using to extend his life.

• Love 1

I'm seeing some rumors that there is in fact going to be a death on Flash this season (maybe this has been discussed previously in this thread and I missed it - if so my apologies!!).

Any thoughts on who it might be? If it's a main cast member, I'm going to put my money on Caitlin.

I find myself oddly uncaring over who might die over there.  No matter who, I'll keep casually viewing.  I'm just not super invested this year. 

• Love 5

Where are the death rumors coming from?  Just curious.  I don't watch, so I really don't care who dies, but I won't be surprised if they just replace whomever it is with the Earth 2 version of that character.  If this is what they end up doing, my guess is that if the Earth 2 counterpart was more popular than the Earth 1 version, well...bye-bye.  Would Caitlyn/Killer Frost fit that description?  I don't even know. 

I hate myself for even writing this, but in The Flash comics, isn't Iris

from the future?

Maybe they'll go with an Earth 2 version instead.  But maybe not since apparently they stick to canon and would be punished for straying, or something like that.

In late S3, the old Ra's told Oliver that when DD broke with the League of Assassins some centuries prior, DD stole a whole bunch of Lazarus Pit water. They never mentioned it again after that, or where does he keep the water, or how he uses it... but it's the only explanation we have.

Last season Ra's told Oliver that Damien took some Lazarus Pit water with him when he left the league. Presumably that's what he's been using to extend his life.

Thank you thank you!!!  I knew he used to be part of the League, but I totally did NOT remember the fact he stole some Lazarus Pit water!

• Love 1

Where are the death rumors coming from? Just curious. I don't watch, so I really don't care who dies, but I won't be surprised if they just replace whomever it is with the Earth 2 version of that character. If this is what they end up doing, my guess is that if the Earth 2 counterpart was more popular than the Earth 1 version, well...bye-bye. Would Caitlyn/Killer Frost fit that description? I don't even know.

It took me a bit to figure out where it was coming from actually. Apparently it's based on this tweet talking about (vaguely spoilerish)

Flash filming some scenes for their season finale in a cemetery.

https://mobile.twitter.com/yvrshoots/status/718955854200868864

ETA: And AyChihuahua beat me to it. ;)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

I'd rather it be one of the men on the show maybe Joe Episcally if they move forward with a romantic relationship for Barry and Iris. Calitin won't die but possibly start her transformation to Killer Frost I think

I would be surprised if they killed Joe off. They've bent over backwards to keep Tom Cavanaugh on the show - I doubt they're going to let Jesse L Martin go, unless he wanted out for some reason.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

2. there's some sort of ~rift between WB Pictures execs and the folks who run DC Animated, that's been going on for aaaaages, which is why the DCA writers/producers don't get the big gigs, even though they know these characters way better than the rando writers.

That's such a shame because I think if Bruce Timm and Paul Dini were the Kevin Feige of the DCCU, they'd have an absolute goldmine on their hands. 

• Love 7

LMFAO the first comment on that tweet :)

My reaction to stuff like this is the same as my reaction to listening to politicians from different parties speak - oh the hypocrisy! (If Felicity had been the one killed, I'm sure the comment would be very different.)

This article contains another spoilery Flash set pic (plus speculation)...

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3864748

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

If they were going to kill someone on Flash - and really, given the track record of Arrow and Eddie's death at the end of season one, that is probably a given - I would think Joe would make the most sense honestly.  I hate to say that because I love Jesse Martin so much, but having him around really does Barry no favors as far as I'm concerned.  And if they are following a formula - well Arrow killed off it's primary "parent" in season two so I would think it's at least possible.

The other possibility would be for them to kill off "Harry" and not try to figure out some convoluted way to keep Tom C. on the show. But honestly, I think Barry would experience more growth from losing Joe than losing Harry.

If we were to guess solely on the character the write the worst - then I'd say Caitlyn.

• Love 2

Probably the bio dad. Basing this on earlier speculation that he was sick and that's why he left Central City so quickly.

Oh I'd completely forgotten about his dad. That's a good guess. It would have the required emotional impact on Barry but not make them have to lose one of their regulars.

• Love 4

Keto Shimizu is moving to LOT. She was the one who wrote most of the LL stuff.

https://twitter.com/ketomizu/status/719616820366438400

As a fan of Diggle, I'm delighted to see her go to another show. It pissed me off to no end how she consistently managed to make him the least important character-- or in the case of 418, the dumbest-- in all the Diggle-centric episodes she wrote. And for some reason, she was on all of them.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 15

As a fan of Diggle, I'm delighted to see her go to another show. It pissed me off to no end how she consistently managed to make him the least important character-- or in the case of 418, the dumbest-- in all the Diggle-centric episodes she wrote. And for some reason, she was on all of them.

That makes some things so much clearer to me.

Edited by Genki
  • Love 1

I haven't seen this mentioned here, but... if you have a twitter account, and the Team Cap/Team Iron Man post comes across your dash, I highly recommend choosing one. If your name is somewhere on your profile, you might get a really cool response.

Marvel's marketing >>>>> DC marketing

• Love 2

Now I feel like I need to put my name in there somewhere because it sounds exciting

ETA: SWEET JESUS PAUL BETTANY SAID MY NAME. I SCREAMED

Lucky you!! I thought I had a pretty common first name, but I just got generic replies both times I tried. Still cool, though!
  • Love 3

Barry's dad Henry is my guess for the death as well. I also think he's terminally ill and that's why he took off so fast. So even if he dies by sacrificing himself or something, his impending death won't have been Barry's fault, so it doesn't necessarily have to depress him even more.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 3

Hmmm. Interesting.

I wouldn't worry about her moving to LoT. Keto's best writing was always reserved for Laurel (minus 418). I think she can do Sara justice if she cares about Sara as much as she does Laurel... 

Palmer is more of a mixed bag considering she screwed the pooch in writing him for 317 (his worst episode to date). 

I picked Team Cap and got Bucky, Sebastian Stan said my name. 

Marvel can have fun with their marketing because they aren't interested in being so dour and dark. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

Ok Cat Grant saying she doesn't go for older men like Harrison Ford might be one of the funniest meta jokes ever.

Follow that by her asking for Supergirl's number and then Superman's while the city is full of pod people was equally funny though - just not meta funny.

• Love 4

It was a funny joke.  So is it now official that Harrison Ford dates outside his marriage?

CF was good with the zingers tonight.  "You taught me that love is better than hate."  Supergirl reads Jack Layton?

Barry's dad Henry is my guess for the death as well. I also think he's terminally ill and that's why he took off so fast. So even if he dies by sacrificing himself or something, his impending death won't have been Barry's fault, so it doesn't necessarily have to depress him even more.

Probably right, or it's Caitlyn.   It won't be Cisco, they love him too much.

But I think if they wanted bang for their storyline buck, it would be Joe.  Let Barry grow up at last.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

There's no way it's Joe. The show loves him too much and the whole West family is too much a part of the show's fundamental structure. Henry's expendable though.

Caitlin is too, but if it's not her this time, I think she's a prime candidate for someone who could go in the next couple seasons, ala Laurel on Arrow. You could tell by the way Laurel was treated after S1 that the show really didn't have much use for or interest in her character, and I would argue Caitlin's definitely in the same boat right now, but with even less focus than KC got. After Zoom's taken care of, I don't know what they're going to do with her, and she doesn't even have any essential ties to a bigger character (maybe Cisco, because lately they're emphasizing that they're supposed to be close friends again, but that's not much, since he's comic relief anyway for the most part).

On another note, I really think The Flash should consider having Iris become a cop like her dad. The E2 episodes showed that it's apparently much easier for them to write for her with a simple career change, so I think they ought to just do it. They planted the seed for that early on in the first season anyway, when she said that's what she'd always wanted to do, so I think this is one departure from canon that would benefit the show overall.

They could make it perfectly organic, maybe have Iris meet her doppelganger someday and decide to do it because of her. Obviously people would point out that this is likely due to their failure in figuring out how to incorporate her being a reporter in any real way, but you know what? It'd be worth it, because E2 Iris was awesome and if that's all they need to do to figure out how to bring her into the action, then I say they should go for it.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 1