Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

So Eddie is totally the love of Iris's life, right? You'd think the show would do more make her future husband less of a consolation prize. I loved the video. Eddie was a prize. Poor Tommy 2.0

• Love 5

Oh and in terms of timelines - so clearly this episode was supposed to air before the Supergirl one from last night - right?  Because I was wondering what the device was Barry was wearing on Supergirl and well - Flash's episode tonight answered THAT question.  I wonder if that means next week, we will get some minor mention of him travelling to another Earth on Flash.

Eddie died over on Quantico didn't he?  Poor Rick Cosnett.

I think Barry is better in the crossovers because 1) he is only there for friendship chemistry rather than trying to force a relationship, 2) he's the one giving pep talks instead of always having to receive them and 3) he's not crying.

There are a couple of reasons I'm not feeling it with James and Kara. I think the most important reason is because they have now shows us James and Lucy which actually DOES work. And until they recently switched gears - it kind of looked like they might keep the two of them together.  I feel like they tried to have their cake and eat it too here and it has created a misstep.  They want to keep both the actors around AND they want to make Lucy likable AND they want us to believe they can all work together AND etc....

-So they had Lucy fight to win James back and led us to believe he had real, deep feelings for her.

-Then they showed them in a nice, functioning relationship with history and painted them as two people who you could believe work together.

-Then they told us over and over again that James was really into Kara but it kind of comes off looking like he's fallen in love with Supergirl and honestly - when he was confronted by the less than perfect hero Kara turned into because of Red Kryptonite - he didn't seem all that interested until Barry showed up to be jealous of.

I think James/Lucy was one of those relationships that looked good on the surface and fell apart when you looked closely at it. I got the feeling that James was quite happy leaving Jimmy Olsen behind and moving on to James Olsen, Art Director.  Lucy left her job and her life to reunite with him and I got the feeling that he felt he should try it with her again but he was always reluctant, including when Cat Grant gave her a job at Catco.  It was like they were just slightly out of kilter with each other.  And his relationships with Superman and Supergirl was a huge bone of contention between them.

And then James never let Lucy into either Superman's or Supergirl's secrets, even though Lucy was Mrs. Clark Kent's sister-in-law, just like Oliver didn't let Laurel in or Barry lying to Patty. Barry not telling Iris is a huge turn-off for me.

James's feelings for Kara are a mess of his feelings for the Supers and for geeky Kara, the former being awe and the latter being somewhat avuncular. They could do an arc of James sorting out his feelings for Kara, but I doubt they ever will, just like they will never do it for Iris.

I think they do like Jenna Dewan Tatum and want to keep her around which is why Lucy is back at the DEO now.  Or, as Starfish35 suggested, they're bringing her back so she can be the end of season death.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

We're a few episodes behind on The Flash, but I'm actually a bit surprised at how much love Eddie is getting here. I feel like I forgot about him just as soon as Iris/the writers of the Flash did. The Flash writers really don't do a good job with characters grieving for their fiancés, since Caitlin lost Ronnie twice and it was handled badly both times. More understandable in season one, off course, since about a year had passed in the pilot anyway and it took her a while to open up to Team Flash I suppose, but this season it was handled awfully; few months in a different job, then it was barely mentioned, then she stated how hard losing her husband was, not that that really came across on screen, but she didn't have much screen time anyway so...

• Love 2

It's so strange to me that the Chicago stuff is doing quite well. Aren't they by-the-numbers procedurals? I thought only older shows of this type (like NCIS) were still somewhat popular with new ones not getting any track. Oh well. I guess they'll do the law spin-off as well. Hope no good actors would be buried in this borefest.

As for Flash, I think last week's drop was an anomaly (DST?) and the show just settled into its usual ratings.

Edited by FurryFury

I live in Chicago have no desire to watch any of the Chicago shows. I could probably hang around to see them filming if I cared about any of the actors. 

That's what I was thinking. The Flash just went back to it's usual numbers. It doesn't seem like Supergirl watchers turned in to see more of the Flash. 

Hans Zimmer retiring from scoring superhero films after Batman v Superman
BY ANDREA TOWERS Posted March 30 2016 — 3:11 PM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/30/hans-zimmer-retiring-superhero-films

“I did Batman Begins with Chris [Nolan] 12 years ago. So The Dark Knight triology may be three movies to you. To me, it was 11 years of my life. Then I did Superman, then I did this one,” Zimmer told BBC Hardtalk, referring to the recently released Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. “I have officially retired from the superhero business.”

“Every movie comes down to the same idea: do we have a story, or don’t we have a story?” Zimmer said. For the acclaimed composer, the story will continue, but not when it comes to caped superheroes, as Zimmer went on to explain that scoring Batman v Superman was harder than his previous projects, in terms of finding a fresh way to tell stories from a musical perspective.

I'm impressed that The Flash is doing as well as Agents of SHIELD on ABC.

I miss Eddie because his relationship with Iris was an adult relationship between two grown-ups.  For all that Barry/Iris is supposed to be OTP, Barry is just a kid and his real OTP relationship is with Joe.

It's so strange to me that the Chicago stuff is doing quite well. Aren't they by-the-numbers procedurals? I thought only older shows of this type (like NCIS) were still somewhat popular with new ones not getting any track.

I think Dick Wolf has learned that the trend has changed to character stories along with procedurals.  There's a storyline about a doctor disregarding a DNR that has gone on since November.  And Oliver Platt, Epatha Merkerson and Colin Donnell are killing it..

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

all of the movies, they were a tad better in the Batman movies but in general I am not a huge fan of his soundtracks in the comic book movies.

I think Blake Neely and Danny Elfman pretty much ruined every other composer for me when it comes to scoring comic book adaptions.

I'm not sure what other movies he's done. I loved the Batman Begins soundtrack though.

Some notable ones:

Pirates of the Caribbean

Inception

Gladiator (my favorite of his)

But a lot of the things he's done seems very lazy... If you hear some of the Gladiator soundtracks, he uses the same exact notes as he does in Pirates. It gets annoying... 

BUT I have to say I really liked his Batman work... I like to listen to this when I want to destress (don't judge)

Actually Gladiator came first so he rips it off for Pirates. Zimmer's been ripping off his own scores for 20+ years though so it's not unexpected. Go listen to his 1995 score from Crimson Tide and then listen to the Pirates theme and you'll swear it's the same piece of music, LOL.

ETA: Start around the 2 minute mark and you'll understand what I mean.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 2

Oh, I enjoyed Pirates and Crimson Tide too. :) Don't judge me.

I can't get the videos to play for some reason.

I won't judge because I love those movies too and I like Zimmer for that matter...I just find it hilarious that he just regurgitates his scores so much. Still, I do think his reasoning for quitting superhero movie scoring is legit. He basically says he really struggled in finding something fresh and original for BvS so no wonder he's going another direction.

• Love 1

This is my favorite track from the Batman Begins soundtrack.

I've actually never seen Crimson Tide. I just heard the music somewhere and liked it so much I hunted up the soundtrack.

I get what you're saying about the similarities, now that I think about it. I guess I never really thought about it before.

• Love 1

Why Grant Gustin Should Not Be The Flash In The Movies
JOHNNY BRAYSON  2 hours ago
http://www.bustle.com/articles/151292-why-grant-gustin-should-not-be-the-flash-in-the-movies

... Also, if Gustin were to play The Flash, that would set a precedent for other DC TV characters moving into movies down the line. Stephen Amell's Arrow, Melissa Benoist's Supergirl, and the various villains from Gotham would all have a case that they should be in the movies, too, and Warner Bros. is not going to want to limit their casting in that way.

I can understand both sides. Keeping the movies and TV shows separate prevents one from interfering with the other and disrupting filming, especially if the show and the movie are shot in different places. This is the model DC is using. It allows them more variety in their casting too. But there is a case to be made for the connected universe Marvel is doing. Even though there are practical limitations. The first season of AoS, for example, got off to a slow started since they had to stall until Winter Soldier and their tie-in to T:TDW was a joke. Marvel also gets slammed for mentioning Captain America or Iron Man all the time even though everyone knows RDJ and Evans aren't going to show their faces on TV (though SLJ surprised me a bit), though personally I like it because mentioning Sokovia, for example, gives us some sort of understanding of the connected timeline. While DC is also going to leave themselves open to comparisons between Grant Gustin and Ezra Miller as dueling Flashes. Overall I think Marvel's is the better approach, so long as they don't stretch themselves too thin (the Helicarrier in Age of Ultron was close, you didn't HAVE to watch AoS to know Coulson's crew rebuilt it but it was a nice touch for those of us who do) and don't have reveals from the movies screw up the show anymore.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 2

I don't really watch Flash regularly, but the charisma black hole playing the boring cardboard guy Caitlin, who's also made of cardboard, dated or wanted to date, is playing Zoom, right? Such a bad idea. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I haven't watched Supergirl since the first few episodes, but I did tune in for the crossover, and wow is the guy playing James Olsen a bad actor. Or maybe not "bad," exactly, but so lacking in any kind of personality or charisma that it's really striking, especially next to Melissa Benoist.

I can't imagine that pairing can stick long-term in this case, simply because of that. They have to notice that, right? Well, I don't really watch it anyway, so I guess whatever works for them.

I also agree with whoever said they need to do something on The Flash to make Barry not look like a consolation prize for Iris, because man they really hammered home in this last episode that Eddie really was the love of her life. Not sure why they would want to continually insist on that, since we're obviously finally getting Barry/Iris soon. Are people supposed to be rooting for him to be her second choice? SO weird that they'd write it that way.

And is it me, or is there increasinly zero reason for Caitlin to exist on the show? If they're not going to turn her into Killer Frost on Earth-1, and her storyline from this season will be gone once they take care of Zoom...what is she there for? She really has been a mostly glorified extra this season, and her acting is still distrac

Edited by Ruby25

I finally liked and LoA episode. Maybe it was because this Ra's wasn't obsessed with Oliver; maybe because Sara had gone to the dark side. Klemmer really does an excellent job of making use of all his cast.  The fight with Hawkgirl was pretty awesome.

I don't really watch Flash regularly, but the charisma black hole playing the boring cardboard guy Caitlin, who's also made of cardboard, dated or wanted to date, is playing Zoom, right? Such a bad idea. 

And yet I watched the second season of Raising the Bar, through all the ridiculous Gosselar love and the blonde chick who can't act, just for his ship with Gloria Reubens.  It was the only thread at the TNT board that got any action but because the show-runner adored the other characters and didn't care about them, it went nowhere and the show was justificably cancelled at the end of the second season.

• Love 1
Given that it was integral to the episode, I still don't see why Laurel's cry looks so odd and does such little damage when I thought Silver Banshee's worked very well over on Supergirl.

I think a lot of it had to do with graphics. They made sound waves on Supergirl, meanwhile on Arrow they just make KC squat more awkwardly for effect. Speaking of that, I also don't remember Banshee squatting as much as KC. Also the sound effects they chose on SG are better. So overall just a better job by SG.

That being said I think the Flarrowverse & Berlanti worlds need to take a little break from each other. In the last few weeks they have all repeated very similar beats ~ betrayed former allies cutting off limbs, runaway relatives, ex-lovers giving friendly advice on break-ups, Mariah Carey & Harry Potter references. It's really becoming a little too repetitive.

• Love 4

I loved Malcolm getting his hand cut off and how Cold froze his hand off to escape. Both led to me thinking of Doctor who with Captain Jack's fondness for 10's hand and getting to hear Rip say regenerate. I think the only one I hate is the ex lover advice giving. But I can see how this might get old with 4 shows repeating beats. 

That being said I think the Flarrowverse & Berlanti worlds need to take a little break from each other. In the last few weeks they have all repeated very similar beats ~ betrayed former allies cutting off limbs, runaway relatives, ex-lovers giving friendly advice on break-ups, Mariah Carey & Harry Potter references. It's really becoming a little too repetitive.

• Love 1

I loved Malcolm getting his hand cut off and how Cold froze his hand off to escape. Both led to me thinking of Doctor who with Captain Jack's fondness for 10's hand and getting to hear Rip say regenerate. I think the only one I hate is the ex lover advice giving. But I can see how this might get old with 4 shows repeating beats. 

Well they are also coming too close together... It's not the repetitiveness as much as it is the repetition is too close. I doubt its intentional... but its like that old wive's tale of females who menstrual cycles begin to align together when they become roommates.

I like all the stories individually, I just think I could have done without a Mariah & Potter reference the same week Lucy & LL become relationship counselors, and Cpt Cold literally holds hand the same way MM does. But at least if the ship makes it back to SC, perhaps we have been spoiled about how MM gets his hand back.

(edited)

its like that old wive's tale of females who menstrual cycles begin to align together when they become roommates.

Sidenote: I've heard actual research on it.  The pheromones from one woman affect the others and start their cycles.  The evolutionary benefit is that the men don't stray to other females.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5

On LoT they revealed that Sara sent Nyssa to Lian Yu to rescue her. At least we know why one person showed up on Grand Central Island. 

Did they hop to more recent past during the episode? I don't imagine Nyssa was around in 1960.

(edited)

No, she told Ra's to send his daughter to Lian Yu, and when he asked "why would I send Talia there?", Sara said "not Talia, your daughter yet to be born. I'm pretty sure you'll call her Nyssa."

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

She hung out with Ray and Kendra for a while (10 weeks I think?) but finally decided to move on. She said she needed to find a place where she belonged, and I guess in 1958 that was the only place.

• Love 2

I can't believe this Ra's al Guhl was reasonable. Also, October 2008? What? It had to be later than that, doesn't it? Maseo said he joined the league the same year Sara did.

It's probably an error, but presuming that the flashbacks are parallel to the present day, it would mean right around the time Sara saw Oliver again. Which is interesting.