Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Yeah hopefully it will recover like Flash and Arrow did. The show does have the advantage of having no more breaks until the season.

Also, I don't know how much this makes a difference, but the episode they went into the hiatus on was one of the weakest in the season, at least in my opinion.

But isn't that what they went into the hiatus with?

You're right - I had forgotten. I thought their last episode was higher than that. Well, in that case, I guess it's good that it held at least, and maybe it will recover a bit going forward.

• Love 3

So... What I"m getting is Flash is going to do a VoTW episode for it's penultimate episode of the season??? That's ridiculously lame. So it's either THAT or KC as a villain won't be that big of a thing in the episode

• Love 1

So... What I"m getting is Flash is going to do a VoTW episode for it's penultimate episode of the season??? That's ridiculously lame. So it's either THAT or KC as a villain won't be that big of a thing in the episode

I'm wondering if

if they are simply throwing earth 2 Laurel in the mix to have her come to earth 1 and stick around for the next season.

Maybe spoiler tag because this is massively spoilery?

• Love 1

I'm wondering if

if they are simply throwing earth 2 Laurel in the mix to have her come to earth 1 and stick around for the next season.

I highly doubt it. The Flash doesn't even have time for the current women in its cast. So unless Laurel's going to somehow be Barry's love interest there's zero chance.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sidenote: I've heard actual research on it.  The pheromones from one woman affect the others and start their cycles.  The evolutionary benefit is that the men don't stray to other females.

I've heard about research too... I actually feel like a read some research about it during my health classes for my two degrees. But honestly, I was way too exhausted to bring up the memory reserves or internet resources... so I just went with the safest thing I knew for sure which was "old wives tale".

Edited by kismet

I highly doubt it. The Flash doesn't even have time for the current women in its cast. So unless Laurel's going to somehow be Barry's love interest there's zero chance.

Oh, I meant and just ship her right on back to Starling at some point.

Yeah, Legends actually made me like the LoA. Hell, they made Ras interesting, something he most definitely was not for most of his time on Arrow. Its like with Ray, where I hated him on Arrow, but actually really enjoy him in Legends. Its like a rehab center for crappy characters/concepts from all over the Flarrow verse!

Maybe this is just the new show shine still being on it, but I really love what Legends is doing right now. It has had a few dumb points and moments, but I generally appreciate it for its character work above everything else. They really know how to use a big ensemble, unlike other Flarrow verse shows, they tend to either over or underused its characters.  

• Love 5

So who on LoT is going to be out next year? With their ratings, they are definitely going to get a budget cut. 

Pretty please Cane Toad and Hawkridiculous out, and maybe Vixen, who I heard was pretty good, in?

I am so hoping Hawkgirl is out.I tried to like her but she's kinda useless on the show and the actress is pretty bad Imo. Ray is okay on LoT but I find him pretty boring plus he probably costs a lot with the CGI and how much they must be paying BR. But I think he'll stay tbh, they were really pushing for that ATOM spinoff.I just need Sara, Snart and Mick to stay for next season, the rest of them can change and I'll be fine with it.Sara I'm sure will, but not so sure about Captain Cold and Heatwave though.

I hope Hawkgirl and firestorm. HG is often bad and Firestorm gets the comic fans angry because he's already not powerful enough. 

Though If you watched Legends you know they don't have as big a budget on most of the episodes. They have weakened the special effects of all the powered people as well as rely on Sara doing s cool looking fighting tick to up the visual look of the action scenes. 

(edited)

They'll have to get rid of some people theoretically, since you have to add at least Patrick J. Adams' character possibly recurring next year along with Kendra's mission of killing Vandal Savage likely being over. With Vixen's good reception and the distinct lack of a good male-female ratio and diversity on the team, I would think they would add her on the team as well (along with the idea that Arrow's budget was even able to make almost all of Vixen's SFX look good).

Edited by way2interested

Though If you watched Legends you know they don't have as big a budget on most of the episodes. They have weakened the special effects of all the powered people as well as rely on Sara doing s cool looking fighting tick to up the visual look of the action scenes. 

And I'm completely fine with that. Sara's fighting skills have advanced immensely since Arrow. Now she has two more years of league training under her belt. Her ballerina kick, slice and twirl move was all kinds of awesome. 

• Love 5

Well they are also coming too close together... It's not the repetitiveness as much as it is the repetition is too close. I doubt its intentional... but its like that old wive's tale of females who menstrual cycles begin to align together when they become roommates.

I like all the stories individually, I just think I could have done without a Mariah & Potter reference the same week Lucy & LL become relationship counselors, and Cpt Cold literally holds hand the same way MM does. But at least if the ship makes it back to SC, perhaps we have been spoiled about how MM gets his hand back.

I've heard about research too... I actually feel like a read some research about it during my health classes for my two degrees. But honestly, I was way too exhausted to bring up the memory reserves or internet resources... so I just went with the safest thing I knew for sure which was "old wives tale".

Not an old wife tale! I can attest to this happening more than once (even with a couple of woman I was not living with) in my life.

my sister and I, when we both still lived at our mom's, used to get our periods usually a few days apart, at most when one of us would end hers the other one would start.

Yeah, Legends actually made me like the LoA. Hell, they made Ras interesting, something he most definitely was not for most of his time on Arrow. Its like with Ray, where I hated him on Arrow, but actually really enjoy him in Legends. Its like a rehab center for crappy characters/concepts from all over the Flarrow verse!

Maybe this is just the new show shine still being on it, but I really love what Legends is doing right now. It has had a few dumb points and moments, but I generally appreciate it for its character work above everything else. They really know how to use a big ensemble, unlike other Flarrow verse shows, they tend to either over or underused its characters.  

I second your post.  The Ra's on LoT was someone that Sara said goodbye to with affection and I believed it. 

And Ray!  He was my favorite character in this last episode.  I was feeling so protective of him, he was like a kicked puppy.  He's all heart now. 

• Love 2

And I'm completely fine with that. Sara's fighting skills have advanced immensely since Arrow. Now she has two more years of league training under her belt. Her ballerina kick, slice and twirl move was all kinds of awesome. 

Yeah, Caity Lotz is a good deal. They get a more than adequate actress and an excellent stuntwoman, for one price. She's safe. BR is just too expensive. Even if people are okay with him now, his salary ain't worth it. I think Hawkridiculous is out, and maybe SpyDaddy. I'm guessing Garber can leave whenever he gets bored.

So who on LoT is going to be out next year? With their ratings, they are definitely going to get a budget cut. 

Pretty please Cane Toad and Hawkridiculous out, and maybe Vixen, who I heard was pretty good, in?

I actually really like Ray on this show and tonewise his character is unique and needed in my opinion.  I like Hawkgirl but I would be less upset if she left as long as she was replaced by another woman.  I'm going to hit the Golden Glider note as often as I can because I think Snart would get even more fun with his little sister around.

They'll have to get rid of some people theoretically, since you have to add at least Patrick J. Adams' character possibly recurring next year along with Kendra's mission of killing Vandal Savage likely being over. With Vixen's good reception and the distinct lack of a good male-female ratio and diversity on the team, I would think they would add her on the team as well (along with the idea that Arrow's budget was even able to make almost all of Vixen's SFX look good).

But they have also said that this is their "dream cast" and that they are mostly looking at way to pick characters up for a few episodes here and there.  I actually don't think there will be that much change next season.  VS will be gone and most think Adams character won't be there that much.

• Love 1

Yeah, I can see Victor Garber getting bored and moving on when he gets a juicy offer.  He's in his sixties and was already complaining about the cold when they shot the rooftop scene for the promo.

For Brandon Routh, Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell, I think it would be what else they got offered.  They're biggish stars and while it might be fun being on this show, I can see them moving on if they get something else.  As the EPs said, this is the kind of show can can lose and pick up other character easily.

I think the actress playing Hawkgirl is better now that she's not playing off the dead Hawkman. I quite like her relationship with Ray.  If Miller wants to stay on, I can see the show dropping her and bringing on Snart's sister but in a cast of eight, even two female characters is the absolute minimum.

• Love 2

BR only starring role in a "lead" way after Superman was a cancelled CBS show, he will totally be staying if they want. Dominic and Wentworth have Prison Break starting up again so their schedules will be tighter so I expect them to take part of the season off but return, they both were fine being guest stars on Flash and now they get to flesh out their characters more so I see at them staying as well if able to. 

I would love it if Lisa joined the cast but she wont be. The actress has her own show that will most likely going to series on TheCW. 

Ok you are bumming me out about my wish to get Golden Glider - well maybe at least in a future episode (one can hope!).

You know, given the place the characters are currently, I would have said Heatwave had the best chances of leaving the show but DP's interviews all make it sound like he's thrilled to be in this part and would love to play it for awhile.  WM's interviews aren't as committed sounding but I think he'd stay with it for awhile unless something really amazing came along. I get the sense that both Caity and BR love doing this show.  I think they would both stay as long as the show wants them - again, unless something fantastic came their way.

Storywise, I could see Stein and Jax not deciding to go on any more missions (you would think Stein would want to go home to his wife once he's had his great adventure), but I just so love having Stein on the show I don't want to see him leave.  I hope if VG wanted to work less, they'd just have him get stranded somewhere for a few episodes so we could still have him around at least part of the season.

And I think - or hope - that if they keep to a shorter season it will make it possible to keep the actors and work with the budget.  I know numbers need to pickup but I think (or again hope) that this is the kind of show that can build an audience if they run the entire season again over the summer leading up to another January premier or something like that.

• Love 2

I didn't find Vixen to be anything special, to be honest. The actress was not Jax level bad, but I wouldn't call her good. She'd probably fit the tone of this show, though.

• Love 5

I didn't find Vixen to be anything special, to be honest. The actress was not Jax level bad, but I wouldn't call her good. She'd probably fit the tone of this show, though.

Eh I want another woman, but I'd rather keep Jax and Stein than add in Vixen.  I don't think he's that bad and I think I like the Jax/Stein dynamic even better that Robbie/Stein (which was ok but really didn't leave an impression on me).

The thing about characters from 2016 and what the EPs said about "bringing in other characters for short arcs" leads me to believe that they can have their cake and eat it too. Since most of these characters come from 2016, they can return to it multiple times without violating the "can't interact with a previous timeline that you already interacted with" rule - or whatever that was.  So they can recruit Vixen, Huntress, Golden Glider, Dr. Light, etc.. for a short arc and drop the person back in 2016.  Of course, they can also use any of those characters in a future/alternate timeline.

It really sounds like to me the early days of Legends advertised that the cast might change up a bit, but they have largely been dialing back that claim for a long time now.  The "we have our dream cast" was much more recent.  I really don't expect a lot of changes next season.  Beyond that, I guess we just have to see if the numbers pick up.

• Love 3

I wish they'd do some timey whimey thing and pick up a different version of Jax that was allowed to use his normal accent.  I think it would vastly improve the character.  Just a hunch. 

• Love 4

Unless they can secure a bigger name to bring in their own fans to add to the audience numbers, I do not see them adding a new permanent cast member or replacing any cast member. I think if the actors get better offers to leave, the show can work around it. Likewise, depending on the character they might be able to make accommodations to be able to bring the character back when possible.

I don't love Jax, but he is getting better. He is one of their only POC on the show, so without trying to be offensive, that probably does secure his spot. I really think if they let him act in his native accent it would improve his accent. I'm still hoping for a big bump on the head that causes it perhaps in this rough & tumble future they are heading to, something can happen to him.

Hawkgirl has limited purpose once they get rid of VS. But they are making her a pretty entrenched part of the team and now her relationship with Ray seems to be important. However, I do wonder if they might kill her to further Ray's journey, I hope not but I could see it happening. Then again they could kill Ray to further her journey.

That being said, I really don't think they are going to kill anybody this season. They seem to be balancing the team dynamic well. Budget wise they seem to fixing their plots in a way that does not break the bank ~ although I imagine the fans of the more CGI dependent heroes are a little bummed to see their heroes not acting on their full power.

• Love 4

I wish they'd do some timey whimey thing and pick up a different version of Jax that was allowed to use his normal accent.  I think it would vastly improve the character.  Just a hunch. 

Oh my gosh I was just thinking about that when watching the commercials in the last episode.  Like ok can they go to London so he can use his normal accent as a "disguise" for at least one episode?  Pretty please?

• Love 2

Hawkgirl has limited purpose once they get rid of VS. But they are making her a pretty entrenched part of the team and now her relationship with Ray seems to be important. However, I do wonder if they might kill her to further Ray's journey, I hope not but I could see it happening. Then again they could kill Ray to further her journey.

That would be a bit much considering Ray's fiance's death already motivated him to build his supersuit.

• Love 3

Unless they can secure a bigger name to bring in their own fans to add to the audience numbers, I do not see them adding a new permanent cast member or replacing any cast member. I think if the actors get better offers to leave, the show can work around it. Likewise, depending on the character they might be able to make accommodations to be able to bring the character back when possible.

I don't love Jax, but he is getting better. He is one of their only POC on the show, so without trying to be offensive, that probably does secure his spot. I really think if they let him act in his native accent it would improve his accent. I'm still hoping for a big bump on the head that causes it perhaps in this rough & tumble future they are heading to, something can happen to him.

That being said, I really don't think they are going to kill anybody this season. They seem to be balancing the team dynamic well. Budget wise they seem to fixing their plots in a way that does not break the bank ~ although I imagine the fans of the more CGI dependent heroes are a little bummed to see their heroes not acting on their full power.

I was thinking they might kill Kendra to advance Ray's story as well, but that would make me so very sad. But as I type that, I realize they also have the ultimate ship stall built into these characters - they could kill this Kendra and pick up a different one with a different personality and have us watch that play out.  Frankly, it would probably be kind of horrible but I could see them doing that and playing the will a different Kendra (perhaps future Kendra so she can remember Ray at some point) pick Carter, Ray, or someone else entirely?  Ugh, I should probably erase this rather than put it out into the universe, but yea the point is even killing Kendra wouldn't necessarily stop that ship. :)

And as far as I'm concerned - they better not lose a woman without bringing in another one - I just don't know if I'm sold on that woman being Vixen.  I'd much rather have Golden Glider but since the actress has her own show - I guess I'd have to lean toward Huntress for the interesting dynamic between her and Sara.

• Love 3

That would be a bit much considering Ray's fiance's death already motivated him to build his supersuit.

Oh I agree, I just don't put it past the people involved in the Flarrowverse ~ esp if they let MG near any of the story arcs. He wields a sledgehammer sometimes with his subtlety & repetitive story points.

I just find it an interesting development that they felt the need to make Ray & Kendra be not only a couple, but so serious that Ray had a ring they showed twice in the episode. That is some serious coupling for a show that was not necessary for any plot, so there must be an ulterior purpose.

• Love 4
(edited)

And as far as I'm concerned - they better not lose a woman without bringing in another one - I just don't know if I'm sold on that woman being Vixen.  I'd much rather have Golden Glider but since the actress has her own show - I guess I'd have to lean toward Huntress for the interesting dynamic between her and Sara.

Jessica De Gouw is a regular on Underground, although I have no idea how the show is doing re: ratings/renewal.

Edited by JenMD

Wow, the people on Twitter were right. It really was a rehash of Oliver and Felicity in 401.

Him about to propose only not to, yes, but otherwise a big no.  I seriously thought she'd been playing him the whole time.  He was near broken hearted until she showed up at the end and said that she did still want him.  Felicity never let Oliver doubt how much she loved him. 

(edited)
Storywise, I could see Stein and Jax not deciding to go on any more missions (you would think Stein would want to go home to his wife once he's had his great adventure), but I just so love having Stein on the show I don't want to see him leave.  I hope if VG wanted to work less, they'd just have him get stranded somewhere for a few episodes so we could still have him around at least part of the season.

And I think - or hope - that if they keep to a shorter season it will make it possible to keep the actors and work with the budget.  I know numbers need to pickup but I think (or again hope) that this is the kind of show that can build an audience if they run the entire season again over the summer leading up to another January premier or something like that.

I love the characters we have on LoT - all of them - and I don't want to lose them. If we have to, I can deal with a more rotating door of actors - especially if we get Lisa for a couple of episodes in exchange. But am I weird if I don't want too many crossovers from Arrow? I quit the show this season and I don't want to go back to having to watch it *whining over*

As for streaming the show, I know they show it one week later on the Scandinavian Netflix (which they don't do for either Arrow and The Flash) and I hope that deal help the overall performance of LoT...

EDT: I realized I was being petty on a thread belonging to the Arrow community, and I've changed my wording to reflect that. Mea Culpa.

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 2

But am I weird if I don't want too many crossovers from Arrow? I *hate* both leads (Oliver and Felicity) now and I find it to be such a dour show, tone wise. I don't want to be forced to watch it. *whining over*

How did you end up in these parts then? I'm not throwing shade, I just don't get why you didn't chose LoT's forums if that's the show you enjoy.

As to the other thing, if you don't like this show, I think it's perfectly normal you don't want the show you like to crossover with it.

• Love 2
(edited)

How did you end up in these parts then? I'm not throwing shade, I just don't get why you didn't chose LoT's forums if that's the show you enjoy.

As to the other thing, if you don't like this show, I think it's perfectly normal you don't want the show you like to crossover with it.

This thread was a part of the short lived general DC TV board. That's probably how they have this thread on their radar. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 4

This thread was a part of the short lived general DC TV board. That's probably now they have this thread on their radar. 

Yes, that's why. I follow this topic, since I like to read about how the shows influence each other, even if I don't watch Arrow anymore. I understand why it looks weird me being in here, but talking about The Flash on LoT (or vice versa) is equally weird. This is the only topic where we can discuss superhero tv shows across the board (including Marvel).

If I've made some sort of faux pas, I'll see myself out - I just didn't think I would have to watch Arrow to post in this thread.

• Love 5

Yes, that's why. I follow this topic, since I like to read about how the shows influence each other, even if I don't watch Arrow anymore. I understand why it looks weird me being in here, but talking about The Flash on LoT (or vice versa) is equally weird. This is the only topic where we can discuss superhero tv shows across the board (including Marvel).

If I've made some sort of faux pas, I'll see myself out - I just didn't think I would have to watch Arrow to post in this thread.

Don't worry there are other ex arrow viewers who still post in the arrow boards.

• Love 4

I love the characters we have on LoT - all of them - and I don't want to lose them. If we have to, I can deal with a more rotating door of actors - especially if we get Lisa for a couple of episodes in exchange. But am I weird if I don't want too many crossovers from Arrow? I *hate* both leads (Oliver and Felicity) now and I find it to be such a dour show, tone wise. I don't want to be forced to watch it. *whining over*

See, I like a bunch of the characters on LoT too, but it does rub me the wrong way that they spent a lot of the time promoting the show as having a revolving cast, able to get rid of and introduce as many characters as they want while probably keeping a core few members (of at least Rip and Sara), and now they are going back and saying that they love the characters that they have so much that they are probably not going to get rid of them. It's not that bad, since it's just them admitting that they feel that they really got a hold on the story and the characters that they have and that they don't want to lose something that works. However, it is them kind of backtracking on something that I found appealing to the show when I first started watching. I wanted this show to be kind of an anthology where characters would have arcs and then come and go, especially since I didn't like a majority of the characters going into the series. Now that it might be a series where there is a form of a status quo where we might have to backtrack into character traits because we're keeping all of the characters, I am kind of skeptical as to where exactly they want this show to go.

Since I do love Arrow, I'll love any shout outs these shows can give it, but I do think that it's strange that there really hasn't been any Flash crossovers (barring notCisco's cameo) while SA was part of the A plot in 106, both SA and KC had cameos in the pilot, NM had a cameo in an episode, and EBR and PB seem to have cameo/story roles in future episodes. It seems really imbalanced and strange since the show was pushed as being largely its own thing separate from the plots of Flash and Arrow. 

I think the Flash xovers to LoT are coming they were just holding out until the end eps, perhaps to build up momentum. New audience member may then binge the show and wait eagerly for its return next season. There is little tactical advantage to putting a Flash xover in the middle of the season, since overall the ratings have been stable which means they have a core audience. Newer members may just come for the Flash and leave. But if they like what they see and have a full season to binge that might get them more invested in the show or at least earn some after-season $$ for the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

For me I wouldn't want to watch an anthology show.  If they ended up changing the whole cast I'd probably stop watching, I'm only watching for the characters that I already like. 

I'm all for a new mission next season but with most of the same cast. I could deal with losing Kendra (since she's the weakest link) providing they introduce another female hero. I'm not really picky about who at this point. They just have to cast someone that can act. I would however prefer someone from a different time, they have Rip from the future, so someone from the past.  

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5
(edited)

I don't think they ever really said there would be a revolving Cast-just that with this format it would be easier to bring characters in and out. They said that each season would be it's own stand alone "movie" with it's own theme and structure. An anthology series in that sense. The press did run with it though. I do think the way MG has been talking that there has been a slight shift in the original concept and the Time masters are going to be much more important and not just this season. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 2
(edited)

Frankly if they thought they'd move people in and out and kind of looked around and said "hey, these people play really well off each other - we might not be able to recapture that if we change things out" - I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  And now the talk is "how can we bring in character A for two or three episodes" and again, I am very ok with that as well.  I truly believe the strength of LoT is that every character is unique so that every pairing brings out something new to the team dynamic and the character as an individual.  I really don't want them to give this particular team up - small changes would be ok, but not huge ones.

To tie that into other shows - unforeseen team dynamics is why I think Arrow would be stupid as anything to kill Diggle or Felicity and why I get the feeling Supergirl looks like they did a flip flop in how big a part the DEO is in the story vs Catco (Alex, Hank, and Kara are the best part of that show).  You can't always know that your plan A isn't going to work, but when plan B is lightning in a bottle - you go with it.  And I think Legends has too good a dynamic to really muck around with it.

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 3

Oh no, I was just honestly curious. I didn't know about the boards being organized differently previously. Thanks to both you and @tarotx for clearing that up.

I certainly don't expect everyone to be all sunshine and flowers about the show all the time.

• Love 1
(edited)

Marvel's Iron Fist Casts Colleen Wing
Lucas Siegel- 04/01/2016
http://comicbook.com/2016/04/01/marvels-iron-fist-casts-colleen-wing/

Jessica Henwick, who has recently had small roles in both Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Game of Thrones, will come to Netflix and Marvel's Iron Fist as comicbook character Colleen Wing. The role is described as the female lead on the show, "an invaluable ally to Iron Fist as he returns to his life in New York." She joins previously cast Finn Jones, who will play the title role of Danny Rand aka Iron Fist.
The character, meanwhile, will be the second Asian-American superhero from either of the "big two" in their current universes, after Chloe Bennet's Daisy Johnson on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Sure, she doesn't have super powers, but Wing definitely qualifies thanks to her heroic feats and the company she keeps. This, after Henwick broke ground as an Asian, female pilot in the Star Wars universe, keeps her pushing boundaries, as well.

colleenwing-177038.jpg

Edited by tv echo