Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

So I just posted a spoiler in the Agent Carter forum -

in the finale, Dottie (a Black Widow) and Peggy will have an all-out fight that Bridget Regan calls "epic".  And I really believe that fight will be epic.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

Sydney vs clone Francie is insane. It's so brutal and they're just constantly lifting things to hit each other with. Probably my favourite television fight ever.

May/Not!May on Agents of Shield was fun too, particularly the head hitting the table. I like all of Buffy and Faith's fights, too. Not always because of the way it's staged or performed or whatever, but they have such a great dynamic.

Chloe and Tori Spelling fighting in that episode of Smallville is pretty fun.

• Love 1

Skipping through the latest Flash episode (that show really doesn't grab me enough to bother watching entire episodes), and man, Stephen Amell's cousin really sucks as an actor. How the hell did that chump get to a stage where he's a recurring actor on a show? He makes Colton Haynes look talented!

It's so sad that the only actual good comic book show on TV is the one that's only eight episodes long. Agent Carter kicks the living shit out of anything else that Marvel or DC are producing for the small screen. In every single respect.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

Skipping through the latest Flash episode (that show really doesn't grab me enough to bother watching entire episodes), and man, Stephen Amell's cousin really sucks as an actor. How the hell did that chump get to a stage where he's a recurring actor on a show? He makes Colton Haynes look talented!

This is very mean, I know, but I think it's all about who you know.  Robbie knows Stephen, who has a relationship with Greg Berlanti.  Berlanti was one of the creators of The Tomorrow People.  I don't know if you saw that show, but Robbie was the lead in that, and people latched onto a secondary character there instead (sound familiar?).  So I basically think that he got this gig because of his stint on The Tomorrow People.  Another not-so-great actress from that show is coming to The Flash as well and I can't say that I'm happy about it.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 4
Robbie was playing a different character in that episode of The Flash. So I think the woodenness was intentional.

I don't agree at all. He had so many opportunities for acting in that episode and he didn't take any of them, he remained totally wooden all way through. Coupled with the fact that the actress playing his LI isn't very good as well, this storyline pretty much sucks. I'm only watching Flash for Wells right now, whose moral ambiguousness kinda reminds me of season 1 Moira.

This is very mean, I know, but I think it's all about who you know.  Robbie knows Stephen, who has a relationship with Greg Berlanti.  Berlanti was one of the creators of The Tomorrow People.  I don't know if you saw that show, but Robbie was the lead in that, and people latched onto a secondary character there instead (sound familiar?).  So I basically think that he got this gig because of his stint on The Tomorrow People.  Another not-so-great actress from that show is coming to The Flash as well and I can't say that I'm happy about it.

Well, at least the guy who was playing that secondary character is also getting a comic book show gig - on AoS. His character seems to be an Inhuman, to boot, so I'm already interested (the storyline seems to be promising, although I'm still bummed we'll have to trade Agent Carter for AoS).

I don't agree at all. He had so many opportunities for acting in that episode and he didn't take any of them, he remained totally wooden all way through. Coupled with the fact that the actress playing his LI isn't very good as well, this storyline pretty much sucks. I'm only watching Flash for Wells right now, whose moral ambiguousness kinda reminds me of season 1 Moira.

This. Wells is, by far, the most interesting character on that show. I love what TC has done with him.

Overall I do The Flash is avoiding some of the S1 Arrow pitfalls, but it is disturbing how they still haven't learned their lesson on some of them--Iris being a prime example. I like her well enough, but they still don't know how to write the lead female character as anything other than a one-dimensional love interest (and they even suck at that). While I can't say that Iris is Laurel 2.0 (their temperaments are polar opposites), I'm still not all that invested in her because she's been written as mainly the object of Barry's puppy dog pining. I don't understand why it's so difficult writing a fully realized story for female characters on these two shows. Add me to the list of believing that the only decent comic TV show right now is Agent Carter. I hate that it's only a mini-series.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 3

This. Wells is, by far, the most interesting character on that show. I love what TC has done with him.

Overall I do The Flash is avoiding some of the S1 Arrow pitfalls, but it is disturbing how they still haven't learned their lesson on some of them--Iris being a prime example. I like her well enough, but they still don't know how to write the lead female character as anything other than a one-dimensional love interest (and they even suck at that). While I can't say that Iris is Laurel 2.0 (their temperaments are polar opposites), I'm still not all that invested in her because she's been written as mainly the object of Barry's puppy dog pining. I don't understand why it's so difficult writing a fully realized story for female characters on these two shows. Add me to the list of believing that the only decent comic TV show right now is Agent Carter. I hate that it's only a mini-series.

Like Joss Whedon said :

“When people say to me, 'Why are you so good at writing at women?' I say, 'Why isn't everybody?' Obviously there are differences between men and women - that's what makes it all fun. But we're all people. There's a lot of good writers who are very humanist, but still manage to kind of skip fifty-five per cent of the race. And I just don't get that. Not to be able to write an entire gender? To me, the question isn't how do you do it? It's how can you possibly avoid doing it?”

It's a valid question that is still being asked of so many writers, because they either can't do it, or just don't want to bother doing it. Why make Iris a well-rounded, sympathetic character with her own point of view and personal life experiences, when you can make her that pretty, boring love interest for your plucky hero?

• Love 3

It's a valid question that is still being asked of so many writers, because they either can't do it, or just don't want to bother doing it. Why make Iris a well-rounded, sympathetic character with her own point of view and personal life experiences, when you can make her that pretty, boring love interest for your plucky hero?

What I really don't get is that while I understand a certain part of the problem is the nature of the comic world (i.e. being traditionally more male-dominant), even female TV writers are struggling within the genre. I look at the women writers on Arrow and a disturbing amount of their content is just as questionable, if not more so, than their male counterparts. Blech.

• Love 1

Great quote, Danny Franks. Can't wait until Joss gets tired of comic book adaptations (although from what I've read, he's already has) and gets back to creating original stories. It's obvious he's stifled by the ridiculous male-centric rules of the industry.

I'm fine with another Joss Whedon comic book adaptation if it results in a Fray movie. Can't see it happening though, so I'm looking forward to whatever he does post Age of Ultron.

Missing Agents of Shield though. Agent Carter unfortunately hasn't aired in the UK yet, but I am looking forward to it since she was my favourite character in the first Captain America movie. Arrow's been underwhelming lately.

I'd be curious to see how non-comic book fans reacted to that, or will react if the show can afford to have Grodd around for longer than a few seconds on a CW budget.

Seems kind of a wtf thing to me but at least nothing really has happened yet.

The flash is more fun but I'm not nearly as invested. I don't actually have the feels about that show! Its kind of whatever. Otoh, I adore felicity Diggle and Oliver and I like Thea when they bother giving her something to do. Which is why it will hurt if arrow makes me drop it from sheer incompetence. [eta, ita about Robbie's acting ability being decidedly lacking. I think there is a lot of cw casting the same people over and over and sometimes they're great but other times you end up with laurel]

Agent carter could easily steal me away though, because I love everyone and I love the outfits and that spoiler will be epic.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 2

Why would it be intentional?. Victor Garber wasn't playing wooden, Robbie Amell was supposed to be playing him. It's too bad CW aversion to old people wouldn't let us have Victor Garber playing Ronnie. 

Have no issue with Robbie performance. Think he has going for the man stuck in foreign body, not sure how to control it, must play uncomfortable as awkward/wooden.  But man, my TV is lacking VIctor Garber! All I was thinking is they have to figure a way to separate them, just so I can get Victor. Or just do a lot of flashbacks... I can tell why they are not likely to make VG Felicity's father, since it would be hard to film scenes in present day. But imagine the possibilities that could have been having VG on multiple shows! Berlanti & MG worked with him on Eli Stone, so I thought maybe, but Stein as he is now is not a good option for long lost father material. We'd likely have to get Robbie and that would be too weird & lack all the punch VG would bring to the role.

What I find interesting is that in the particle accelerator explosion it was Ronnie who merged with Dr Stein yet Ronnie's body is used as FIRESTORM. Like eh?

I guess that Victor Garber doesn't have an impressive enough six-pack, so on the CW, he loses.

• Love 7

I guess that Victor Garber doesn't have an impressive enough six-pack, so on the CW, he loses.

Robbie is probably cheaper too & more available. Which is a shame! VG doesn't need a 6?pack to be attractive. But it would be nice to get Ronnie back for caitlin, give her more substance on the show. I don't see the natural chemistry between her & gg that others do or that I see with sa&erb, so I fear what the writers will do w/?her when gb inevitably leaves the show in likely aks hands tonely. At least with Ronnie, she has a purpose on the show beyond plot & patching up gg.

And Cisco Vibe. But probably not for a while. Frankly, I'm a little surprised they're doing Firestorm now. I would think they'd want to keep Barry the superhero center of his own superhero show. Then again, these are the same people who make Arrow....

Caitlin will likely become killer frost 

Because god forbid they would deviate from comics canon, even for as minor a character as the fourth Killer Frost. Someone, somewhere must have a tiny bit of actual original creativity, surely?

• Love 2
Someone, somewhere must have a tiny bit of actual original creativity, surely?

Of course they do, they created Sara Lance and made her the Canary instead of...oh wait. Nevermind. No, they don't.

• Love 8

...Frankly, I'm a little surprised they're doing Firestorm now. I would think they'd want to keep Barry the superhero center of his own superhero show.

I don't see any indication that Firestorm is going to be a regular character. I highly doubt he'd ever take over Barry's central role.

• Love 1

Victor Garber said he doesn't want to move or quasi-move to Vancouver.

I don't think Grant Gustin has romantic chemistry with anyone on the show.  He has great chemistry with his father-figures and friends, but nothing romantic or sexy.  (I think he's excellent in the role overall, though.)

• Love 6

I don't think Grant Gustin has romantic chemistry with anyone on the show.  He has great chemistry with his father-figures and friends, but nothing romantic or sexy.  (I think he's excellent in the role overall, though.)

I was just thinking this.  GG has fantastic chemistry with Jesse L. Martin, and I would be happy to watch an hour of Barry and Joe every week, to be honest.  I know it's not going to happen, but I would like Barry to stay single.  

I don't usually check out The Flash forum, but I was over there reading today.  Honestly, as far as fan response goes, I can see the same thing happening to Iris that happened with Laurel. Based on the Iris thread and this week's episode thread over there, it seems that there is already a high level of annoyance with how Iris is written, which is problematic. If it keeps going down this path, I'm just going to jump ship (by that, I mean quit the show) because I don't have it in me to go through the same shit that happened on Arrow all over again.

I had to laugh at a few people over in The Flash forum who were saying that Robbie Amell is the far better actor in the Amell family.  Haha, whut?  He's so bland and boring that he had his lead status and best friend/possible love interest stolen by another guy on his last show.  To be fair, Luke Mitchell's story was way more interesting, and he had way more chemistry with Madeleine Mantock's character (yeah, I shipped John and Astrid).  I was so hoping that she would be cast as Iris on The Flash :(

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 4

So, I just heard about Agents of SHIELD making Adrianne Palicki a regular on the show.  While that show isn't perfect, I find it very interesting that for them, they see that a recurring character was building a fanbase, and their response was "Well, lets make her a regular then!", instead the.... Sara Lance approach.  To be fair, I do still give Arrow credit for seeing what they had with Felicity and making her a regular, but that was the good old S1 days, which feels like a long time ago.

Last year, I never would have thought I'd be more interested in SHIELD over Arrow, but between this, Luke Mitchell joining up as a possible Inhuman, and a solid start this season, they certainly have taken the lead in 2015.  Of course, none of them can top Agent Carter.  Still bummed that we only have two episodes left, and the ratings haven't been so hot.  TV needs more Peggy Carter!

• Love 8

Of course, none of them can top Agent Carter.  Still bummed that we only have two episodes left, and the ratings haven't been so hot.  TV needs more Peggy Carter!

I have a lot of hopes that the fan base will continue to grow after the initial run is over.  So far it's been solid and quality earns good word of mouth and if the last two episodes continue to be as awesome as the ones before, I can't imagine the show wouldn't get more and more support. 

• Love 6

This fan casts his own fantasy Justice League from actors who have played the roles before...

The Ultimate Film Justice League
by William Avitt ⋅ Posted on February 14th, 2015 at 6:00p
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/15/the-ultimate-film-justice-league-2696034?lt_source=external,manual

His picks:

Superman - Christopher Reeve
Batman - Christian Bale
Wonder Woman - Lynda Carter
The Flash - Grant Gustin
Aquaman - Alan Ritchson
Black Canary - Caity Lotz
The Atom - Brandon Routh

Edited by tv echo
So, I just heard about Agents of SHIELD making Adrianne Palicki a regular on the show.  While that show isn't perfect, I find it very interesting that for them, they see that a recurring character was building a fanbase, and their response was "Well, lets make her a regular then!", instead the.... Sara Lance approach.  To be fair, I do still give Arrow credit for seeing what they had with Felicity and making her a regular, but that was the good old S1 days, which feels like a long time ago.

Sometimes though a recurring character needs to stay that. We had Caity/Sara basically be the female lead last season (maybe tied with Felicity) and...it didn't go well imo.

IMO it would have gone very well if they had got rid of Laurel, or at least kept her as a crusading lawyer.  Sometimes you need to be wiling to change the game plan when a better play comes along.

Sara as recurring, Felicity on Team Arrow and Laurel doing legal duty would have covered all the bases.  They're going to have to figure out something to do with Brandon Routh next season if he doesn't get his own show because leaving him on the show, would end up with the same problem it had with Sara/Laurel where the newbie (Palmer) overshadows the original.

I think Adrianne Palicki is a good addition because Skye wasn't cutting it as a kickass fighter.  Now they can more Skye into something that fits the character and the actress better.  (Arrow EPs, are you paying attention?_

• Love 2

Because god forbid they would deviate from comics canon, even for as minor a character as the fourth Killer Frost. Someone, somewhere must have a tiny bit of actual original creativity, surely?

mm not trying to start anything, but why else would they name her Caitlin Snow and have Easter eggs to the killer frost character if that wasn't their plan? DP has talked about it a little and that is definitely their intention. It's like Slade Wilson becoming a villain in season 2. 

Edited by ban1o

It's been a while, but let's see if I can identify them all. Feel free to correct any I get wrong. Lois Lane, who had her own title at one time. Big Barda, who has not as far as I know. Cassandra Cain/Batgirl, who had at least one. Uh...I can't tell. Is that Poison Ivy? If so, I think she had one with Harley Quinn at one time. Zatanna, who does or did. Barbara Gordan/Batgirl, who was a big presence but not always in the suit. Renee Montoya/Question...is she back? I thought DC wiped her from existence too. Vixen. I only know her from JLU but I don't know if she's had a book of her own.

Personally, I'd say Renee. Whether as a cop or the Question.

Edited by KirkB

I'm really loving Dr. Leslie Tompkins, on her own and in her relationship with Gordon.  It's such a great balance.  They don't instantly always agree but they are respectful and admit mistakes and at the same time are playful and fun and I don't want to give her up.    I feel that she's safe from death or going evil but everything else is up for grabs.   

• Love 4