Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Steve/Stark/Thor definitely grew up throughout their movies but going back and watching their first movies, you still can still see the person they are and become by their third movies. They all still fight for what they believe in, still have plenty of the same quirks they had, they are still recognizable. They are better versions of themselves now though. 

Maybe I need to go back and do a full rewatch of Smallville because I know Clark definitely had his moments but I do not recall him being woe is me for majority of the series. 

1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

Steve/Stark/Thor definitely grew up throughout their movies but going back and watching their first movies, you still can still see the person they are and become by their third movies. They all still fight for what they believe in, still have plenty of the same quirks they had, they are still recognizable. They are better versions of themselves now though. 

Maybe I need to go back and do a full rewatch of Smallville because I know Clark definitely had his moments but I do not recall him being woe is me for majority of the series. 

That’s the way character development is supposed to happen. It’s the way it happened on Arrow. Oliver is much lighter now, but he is still recognizable as a version of season one Oliver, just a healthier version. 

Trying to start with one version of a character and turn it into a completely different version who bears no resemblance to the one from the first movie, well, that just doesn’t make any sense, and I don’t know why anyone would do that on purpose. 

The way I see it, MCU, DCEU, and DCTV were essentially all trying to do the same thing, develop characters on screen, with minor variations, and they had varying levels of success. DCEU had the least success because they tried to be different but didn’t allow for the time needed to make people care about their versions of the characters, instead relying on the already present popularity of Batman and Superman.

They seemed to think that people already know these iconic characters, so they’ll be invested in our versions right off the bat. But then they gave us these versions that the general public don’t recognize because they’re so much darker than we’re used to seeing. So there are a bunch of people sitting in movie theaters wondering why Superman is destroying a city when that’s not what Superman does. Why is Batman trying to kill Superman when they’re both good guys? They didn’t do a good job of introducing us to versions of the characters who would do that in a way that would make us feel for them, so we didn’t care about them.

Then they introduced these lesser known characters in JL. I, personally, was sitting there in the theater thinking to myself, ‘Aquaman is hot and all, but why should I care about him?’

• Love 8

BvS threw us into a comic storyline with out ever building up to it on screen so the general audience had no idea why Batman and Superman were fighting. Comic fans may have thought that was cool, but the general audience was left wondering why two heroes were randomly fighting each other. Especially since they were only introduced to that Superman and knew nothing about that Batman. 

I think Flashpoint is going to be a huge mistake too. That's another storyline that needs a build up on screen before attempting it. If the audience doesn't care about these characters we sure are not going to care about seeing different versions of them. Seeing different versions of the characters we know and love is what makes that stoyline interesting. Do I want to see an evil Wonder Woman? Not really.  I loved her movie but still don't know her enough to be excited to see her evil version. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I just spit out my coffee, LMAO!

I do have my moments, as @BkWurm1 can attest.

Though to be fair, in the first season, at the beginning, Clark was so charming and endearing.

1 minute ago, Sakura12 said:

BvS threw us into a comic storyline with out ever building up to it on screen so the general audience had no idea why Batman and Superman were fighting. Comic fans may have thought that was cool, but the general audience was left wondering why two heroes were randomly fighting each other.

I may not be a die hard comic fan, but I am one, and I thought that movie was a pile of garbage.

• Love 2

The Flash's Cisco Writes a Touching in Memoriam for Beebo
By NICOLE DRUM - January 29, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/29/the-flash-cisco-beebo-in-memoriam-legends-of-tomorrow/

Last week's episode of The Flash was a rough on for fans of Legends of Tomorrow. Thanks to the villainous machinations of Trickster, Jr. and his mother Prank, not one but four Beebo dolls met their end.

But it isn't just Legends fans who felt the pain of Beebo's passing. Turns out that Cisco was saddened by the death of the furry blue plushie as well, so much so that he devoted a special blog entry to the "soft blue light in a world of darkness." In a touching (and kind of hilarious) post on The Chronicles of Cisco Tumblr. Cisco pays his respects for Beebo while also practicing his newfound hobby of poetry writing.
Of course, while Cisco's tribute to Beebo is sweet and heartfelt, it may be a little unnecessary. After all, Beebo's appearance in Central City is just proof that Beebo the God of War will always rise again.

From The Chronicles of Cisco:

tumblr_p3332o34EL1uobsu8o1_500.gif 

Hello, friends. I know this blog is usually for light banter and yucks - a place where you can always expect a solid chuckle. But, as we all know, it can’t be fun and games all day every day. I would like to take this time to pay our respects to one of our fallen comrades. During our faceoff with The Trickster and Prank, we lost a little furry guardian, a soft blue light in a world of darkness - Beebo. 
Now before we get too far into this I have something to admit. While Gypsy has been gone I’ve been looking into a new hobby to show her how much she means to me… what better way than with a lovely poem?  Sounds corny but let me tell you, it keeps an inter-dimensional relationship interesting.  You run out of new and creative ways to send messages through breaches.  I feel like I’m truly becoming a master poet so now, I present to you, without further delay, a poem for the eulogy of Beebo, on this sad, rainy day:

In ‘92 you were introduced to us
So soft and so blue
Every child had to have one,
Some even had two
You never faded out
Like toys most often do
A legend in your time
And often in others’ too!
A God of War to some
A soft cuddle to others
You would still be here,
If I had my druthers
Prank and Trickster melted you away
In a cruel acid bath
Your final words still haunt me
To this very day
As your fur melted
And the situation was getting rowdy
You looked to the sky
And with your last breath proclaimed
“I have an owie”

Am I good or am I good?! Gypsy won’t even know what to say when I drop a book of beautiful poems in her lap next time she visits. Nobody tell her dad though. I don’t think I’ll ever live that down…

Posted: January 24, 2018

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I watched part of the first season of Smallville ... and then stopped. And I can't really remember why. 

You just got lucky I guess. 

10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

OMG @BkWurm1 what a pill! He makes Oliver sound like a happy puppy! Did he at least swoon over someone like Oliver does constantly with Felicity?

Clark had a bad habit of pinning after the girls I couldn't stand while the show teased the possibility of something IMO great with his best friend only to wuss out and never go there officially (but still teasing it until the very end)  Seriously messed with my head.  Pitted all the separate shippers against each other in ways that make me really appreciate the LACK of romantic drama on Arrow in comparison and yeah, that's saying something.  

• Love 4

John Stephens and Danny Cannon’s Metropolis, a live-action drama about the city before Superman’s arrival, has received a direct-to-series order for a 13-episode first season to air on DC’s upcoming digital service in 2019, Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment announced Tuesday.

Like Gotham, Metropolis will follow familiar comic-book characters navigating the world before their respective heroes show up. In Metropolis‘ case, the story will center on Lois Lane and Lex Luthor as they “investigate the world of fringe science and expose the city’s dark and bizarre secrets,” according to the press release. Stephens penned the pilot, with Cannon set to direct.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

You just got lucky I guess. 

Clark had a bad habit of pinning after the girls I couldn't stand while the show teased the possibility of something IMO great with his best friend only to wuss out and never go there officially (but still teasing it until the very end)  Seriously messed with my head.  Pitted all the separate shippers against each other in ways that make me really appreciate the LACK of romantic drama on Arrow in comparison and yeah, that's saying something.  

Haha now that the dust has settled with Arrow and the traumas of S5 are behind me I can appreciate that the romantic drama on it wasn't that bad. 

S1 there was none (well nothing that was relevant to me anyway since I had zero interest in anyone besides Felicity), S2 they weren't together or defined so not really drama, obviously I had no issues with S3 ?, S4B they blew up but no triangles or anything which only leaves S5 as being the most unpalatable but 520 saved everything.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

A1DE6D4C-FA89-46B6-8D2D-0A57B41B5A2A.gif

• Love 3

Supergirl ratings rose a little.

IMG_0713.PNG

And final unrounded ratings for last week from RJK at SpottedRatings.com:

Here were last week's L+SD FINALS for the CW shows:

The Flash .......................... 0.743
Black Lightning ................. 0.639
Supernatural ..................... 0.566
Supergirl ........................... 0.535
Riverdale .......................... 0.465
Arrow ................................ 0.418
Jane the Virgin ................. 0.221
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ........... 0.207
Dynasty ............................ 0.171
Valor ................................ 0.154

Edited by Starfish35
1 minute ago, strikera0 said:

Supergirl has been doing really well since the midseason break. It's too bad that the CW is killing all of it's momentum with the fucked up scheduling. 

To be fair, it's production problems on Supergirl that ultimately made CW mess up Supergirl's scheduling in the first place.

Am I correct in reading that Barry and Iris called up Felicity for her help in the last episode? Interesting. Considering two episodes ago they were shading her and returning the gift she and Oliver brought them. 

Edited by Mary0360
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Am I correct in reading that Barry and Iris called up Felicity for her help in the last episode? Interesting. Considering two episodes ago they were shading her and returning the gift she and Oliver brought them. 

Wasn't Iris the only one throwing shade?

25 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

At least the guy Barry helped escape was actually innocent (or so the article says), which I guess is an improvement on his usual dumbassery!

It's still a crime to break someone out of jail, even if they're innocent. But it's OK because Barry did it! 

Not like there's an appeals process that the guy could've gone to since they have the actual criminal in custody and... right, nevermind... this is Flash, who just had the DA be a defense lawyer.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Friendships typically don't end because someone isn't fully happy with the other about one thing that happened months ago. 

12 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

BvS threw us into a comic storyline with out ever building up to it on screen so the general audience had no idea why Batman and Superman were fighting. Comic fans may have thought that was cool, but the general audience was left wondering why two heroes were randomly fighting each other.

Bruce thought Superman had too much power, and needed to be kept in check, Clark thought Batman was too rough with his criminals. There was even a scene about it. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

My favorite Arrowverse mention was that Central City gets robbed at 30 times the national average. "That's second to Star City, folks!"

With as many speedsters as that city has, how are they not able to prevent or stop robberies from happening more then a city that doesn't have superpowers AND has literally the worst police force ever? 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I am down for a Lois Lane series but a Lois Lane/Lex Luthor team-up series...not so much.

But DC is kind of going backwards again with these prequels. They are trying just about everything to do "___ without X/Y/Z". And the thing is, none of these prequel shows even match up or add to anything because each will have their own continuity so we dont even get to add up to like a cool Superman series. So seeing 1 Supes series thats about his grandparents then one about his future wife and arch nemesis, even one about his cousin...are they ashamed of the character right now?   

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I am down for a Lois Lane series but a Lois Lane/Lex Luthor team-up series...not so much.

But DC is kind of going backwards again with these prequels. They are trying just about everything to do "___ without X/Y/Z". And the thing is, none of these prequel shows even match up or add to anything because each will have their own continuity so we dont even get to add up to like a cool Superman series. So seeing 1 Supes series thats about his grandparents then one about his future wife and arch nemesis, even one about his cousin...are they ashamed of the character right now?   

My impression is they are trying to save him for the silverscreen?  Plus it's easier to do a show without flying.  

I'm with you.  I like the idea of Lois when she first starts off as a journalist but they make it sound like she and Lex are teaming up and if they make me want Lois and Lex as a couple I'm going to be very sad since I really don't think they'd deliver long term.  

41 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

It's still a crime to break someone out of jail, even if they're innocent. But it's OK because Barry did it! 

Not like there's an appeals process that the guy could've gone to since they have the actual criminal in custody and... right, nevermind... this is Flash, who just had the DA be a defense lawyer.

Not to mention it seemed like Barry dumped him in China with no money or ID and in a prison uniform, I don't think this is actually "the movie ending"

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

Not to mention it seemed like Barry dumped him in China with no money or ID and in a prison uniform, I don't think this is actually "the movie ending"

Yeah. I know Barry was on a tight timeline there but it would have been nice to at least hand the guy a new set of clothes. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, wingster55 said:

Bruce thought Superman had too much power, and needed to be kept in check, Clark thought Batman was too rough with his criminals. There was even a scene about it. 

If these were just two random schmoes, that would have been enough, but this was Batman and Superman. They are, objectively speaking, the most well known superheroes in the world. That was not what we had come to expect from those characters, and DC didn't put enough work into making us believe they would act like that. 

29 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

That’s so Barry!

Somewhere in China there's a man in a prison uniform going, "Damn it, Barry!"

• Love 1
1 hour ago, quarks said:

Yeah. I know Barry was on a tight timeline there but it would have been nice to at least hand the guy a new set of clothes. 

He looked kind of cold in his sleeveless tank.  So are we to assume he now figured out that Barry was the Flash?

8 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

So Black Lightning named dropped Supergirl. So does this mean there is room for Black Lightning to exist on Earth 2?

It would jive with the comments in the first episode that acknowledged others in other cities being called heroes instead of vigilantes.  Supergirl (and Superman) are about as cookie cutter "heroes" as possible.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It would jive with the comments in the first episode that acknowledged others in other cities being called heroes instead of vigilantes.  Supergirl (and Superman) are about as white bread as possible.  

Yeah the character had a copy of the Outsiders and then talked about cosplaying as Supergirl. Hmm.

7 hours ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

The Chinese authorities are going to pick him up, assume he's a spy, and put him in jail. Or they'll call the American Embassy and they'll just ship him back to the US.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

My husband, ever the optimist, suggested that the nice fellow could do some manual labour, earn some money and start a family.

I was like "But how will he navigate the Chinese government? They have records on EVERYBODY."

Hubby still thinks it's better than jail and the fellow can go hide in the country somewhere!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, catrox14 said:

So Black Lightning named dropped Supergirl. So does this mean there is room for Black Lightning to exist on Earth 2?

I took it to be the opposite. The other Arrowverse characters are comicbook characters on BL's Earth. Spiderman did the same thing in their 90s cartoon finale, where Spidey traveled to different earth's and, on one of them (ours) Spidey was a comicbook character created by Stan Lee (perfect series finale, IMO).

The fact that The Outsiders are a comicbook, and they were Cos-playing DC Comics Characters makes me think BL is on a totally different Earth. Which, is what I thought they said from the beginning, that BL wasn't part of the Arrowverse?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

Isn't Supergirl on Earth 38? There was no mention of aliens which are are all over Supergirl's Earth. I'm guessing she's a comic book character or a different Supergirl. They probably should have called her Power girl. 

• Love 2

Wonder if this will affect BR's shooting for LoT?...

Film News Roundup: Brandon Routh Boards Live-Action ‘Anastasia’ Movie (EXCLUSIVE)
By Dave McNary   January 29, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/brandon-routh-live-action-anastasia-movie-1202680945/

Brandon Routh has been set to star as Czar Nicholas in the upcoming live-action family film “Anastasia.”

He’ll portray the father of Anastasia in the re-imagining of the classic story in which Anastasia Romanov escapes through a portal when her family is threatened by Vladimir Lenin and finds herself in the year 1988.

Routh, who appeared in “Superman Returns,” currently has a recurring role on “Arrow” and stars in “Legends of Tomorrow.”

Production began last summer in Lexington, Ky., with filming the 1988 portion of the film with Emily Carey and Amiah Miller co-starring. Shooting resumes in April on the 1917 portion of the film.

Edited by tv echo

To be fair to Barry, he sent him to some out in the middle of nowhere monastery where he wanted to just chill with the monks in the quiet, so presumably he could pretty easily lay low there, hanging with the monks and pondering the meaning of life or whatever. Not saying its not still pretty dumb, but it isn't like he dumped him in the middle of a major city or something.  

I am torn on The Flash this season. I do like the change in tone and the characterization is better (ignoring certain stupid, wedding related crap), but the overall plot is still rather convoluted, and seems to require the gang to be a dumber than they ever had been. So, while I do think its better than last season, there is still a LOT of work to do to really improve things. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Wonder if this will affect BR's shooting for LoT?...

Film News Roundup: Brandon Routh Boards Live-Action ‘Anastasia’ Movie (EXCLUSIVE)
By Dave McNary   January 29, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/brandon-routh-live-action-anastasia-movie-1202680945/

He’ll portray the father of Anastasia in the re-imagining of the classic story in which Anastasia Romanov escapes through a portal when her family is threatened by Vladimir Lenin and finds herself in the year 1988.

Doesn't sound like he's going to play a big role, if Anastasia is hanging out in 1988.

• Love 4