Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Well personally, it just throws me out of the show a bit to think that Superman's just sitting out all these world-ending crises, especially now that we've met him. "Eh, sorry, my calendar's full this week." And especially when Kara's been so publicly taken out of commission.

Technically, he HAS shown up. In the first season finale Superman did show up to help fight Astra and the others, he just inexplicably got affected by the same thing that was controlling the humans. And he showed up again in the second season finale (after getting out from under  mind control AGAIN) to help fight the Daxamites. So it's not like he is completely out of the picture.

As for Kara's rather public defeat by Reign, I do agree it's odd there wasn't at least a scene with Kara hanging up the phone after telling Clark she's okay. I don't want or need Superman to show up all the time (especially since even he has said Kara is the more powerful of the two) but since they have shown he is known to help out (like when the Venture was in trouble, and Kara happened to get to it first) you'd think he might want to get involved with a trio of Kryptonian super weapons. Maybe he will, in the finale. But ultimately it's still going to be Kara who saves the day.

Honestly, before the show began I said they should have done a universe where Clark didn't exist and it was Kara who was sent to Earth. That way they could avoid this very question and since, particularly in the first season, they seemed intent on giving a lot of Superman's stories (the Black Mercy and Bizarro for example) to Kara instead they could have it be new.

• Love 2

I stopped watching the Flash after three episodes this season, it doesn't look like it's getting any better. Maybe they should have Lady Eve from Black Lightning do the autopsy, she'd make sure they were dead. 

I also like that on Black Lightning, super strength is being shown as super strength and one punch from someone like that could actually do some damage. Unlike on the Flash who punches someone while using his super speed and his fist doesn't go through the guys skull. 

Also a Deadpool trailer.  Meet Cable. 

Edited by Sakura12
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Maybe they should have Lady Eve from Black Lightning do the autopsy, she'd make sure they were dead. 

Could someone explain to me what was going on in that scene last night? The woman on the table looks like she has the Y incision from an autopsy and yet looked like she might still be alive? For a second there I was also wondering if she was only getting a liposuction :P

6 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Also, just because Devoe showed up alive after being stabbed, wouldn't Barry still be on the hook for attempted murder? Would he have to go back on trial? I'm not following how that all worked. I mean it's stupid and I shouldn't expect realistic legal things but someone needs to explain to me how the judge could just be like "OK BARRY IS FREE TO GO!".

What am I missing here? LOL

I am pretty sure Barry being declared innocent couldn't have happened that fast but even if they wanted to charge him with attempted murder, I believe they would first have to dismiss the murder trial and then bring him up on new charges since no one accused him of attempted murder.  So if the court was satisfied that Devoe wasn't dead (and yes, I'd think they'd do a DNA test though I guess Star Labs could find a way to fake that since Barry doesn't care if he gets out through actual legal means) then that probably would get him out of jail, just not at that warp speed.  

Then, if Devoe coming back and saying "I heard them talking about framing the guy" was taken as clearing Barry, they could just choose not to charge Barry.  I would think Devoe vanishing later would bring all their suspicions back on Barry though.  

4 hours ago, jhlipton said:

It might as well be.  Representation matters and how many green or blue people (or talking trees or raccoons) do you know?

Well everyone knows the woman playing the green one is IRL black and the one with antennas is Asian so it does count toward diversity and sci-fi has long been a place that used "aliens" and "other" to be the metaphor for minorities.  So I do find Gaurdians a diverse cast in that sense and  Black Panther will add real diversity to the Marvel landscape but prior to that character, we've had Rhody and Falcon and Nick Fury.  Not enough, but not nothing.  Another massive lack of inclusion is that there are only two "superheroes" that are women, three if you count the green one.  Hopefully, Marvel is also working on that and continues working on diversity as well.  

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I thought last nights Flash was pretty good. Personally, I don’t care how they got Barry out of jail as long as they did it soon and ended the shows constant pummeling of the legal system! 

I think in the end that was where I was at.  Everything to do with him being in jail and the trial and the hypocrisy of Barry thinking this was the line in the sand he had to stand and not run from when a little running would have prevented the whole thing and he turned out just fine with getting out of jail by lies so I really don't see why he couldn't have manufactured his alibi by zooming out of the apartment back to Joes where he'd only been gone for seconds.  He could have skipped jail if he'd just used a few brain cells at that time but it was what it was so it's a relief to move on to new levels of stupidity about other things.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

and yes, I'd think they'd do a DNA test though I guess Star Labs could find a way to fake that since Barry doesn't care if he gets out through actual legal means

Not for nothing, but Felicity made the blood sample Starling (at the time) City Police collected after Moira shot Oliver disappear/get destroyed, so that he couldn't be identified and charged...???

Let's face it. We all know that Law & Order on these shows don't work as they should or would in real life. After I tore my hair out when Oliver was arraigned at the beginning of the season, I think it was and @KenyaJ reminded me of Moira's trial, etc., I have to handwave everything law/court/police related to keep my sanity.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not for nothing, but Felicity made the blood sample Starling (at the time) City Police collected after Moira shot Oliver disappear/get destroyed, so that he couldn't be identified and charged...???

I don't judge them for tampering with evidence, I just judge Barry for insisting he had to get arrested when a little tampering would have saved a whole lot of time and mess in the first place only for him THEN later on being ok with the team making stuff up.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

I don;t judge them for tampering with evidence, I just judge Barry for insisting he had to get arrested when a little tampering would have saved a whole lot of time and mess in the first place and THEN being ok with the team making stuff up.  

Ahhh, okay. I blame hunger for not understanding. ?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I don't judge them for tampering with evidence, I just judge Barry for insisting he had to get arrested when a little tampering would have saved a whole lot of time and mess in the first place only for him THEN later on being ok with the team making stuff up.  

Hey he liked jail ok! Dude was chilling and having an adventure, dabbling in the jailbird life!

• Love 3

Barry didnt want to run the first time, then barry didn't want to be revealed as the flash to save his life then Barry didnt want to leave jail because he wanted to do this the legal way and in the end what they did wasnt legal and he could have done this the first time he was arrested. So what was the point of being in Jail for 3 episodes?

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Barry didnt want to run the first time, then barry didn't want to be revealed as the flash to save his life then Barry didnt want to leave jail because he wanted to do this the legal way and in the end what they did wasnt legal and he could have done this the first time he was arrested. So what was the point of being in Jail for 3 episodes?

Ralph

• Love 6

Ralph having that power now is definitely coming back into play. DeVoe will kidnap him and possess him for the final run of episodes I bet, so we can have Neil Sandilands back as DeVoe.

3 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Ralph having that power now is definitely coming back into play. DeVoe will kidnap him and possess him for the final run of episodes I bet, so we can have Neil Sandilands back as DeVoe.

Yep, and that'll push the team more to try to save Ralph and then they'll build that device that Evil-Barry referenced last year. I at least hope that's the case since I actually really like NS. DeVoe and Marlize have been the most interesting parts of this entire season.

• Love 1

Yeah, Sandilands was great. And we got so little of him that I never believed he was gone for good, and now we see how he can be back. And with all the focus on Ralph this season it makes sense that they'd do something terrible to him. I bet it'll happen around episode 18, which is about the same time Caitlin was taken by Zoom in Season 2, and turned into Killer Frost last season. When they do bad things to people that last until the finale that's about when it occurs.

You know... I remember we complained about Oliver/Felicity not being all touchy feely this season, but then I saw this gif on tumblr and thought, well it could be a lot worse. We could get the scraps Barry/Iris get. Seriously, Flash writers/Grant/Candice, is that really the best you guys can do? I mean the dialogue has been used over and over again, they barely had a peck, heck, Joe's reaction was a lot more affectionate. Yikes.

tumblr_p3rdhoqWSr1tnvsx0o4_400.gif Vs tumblr_p3rd7n95fv1rt5ctno2_540.gif

• Love 1

It's almost like The Flash wants to keep Iris and Barry chaste despite being married. Would it kill them to use tongue once? It's so weird.

4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hey he liked jail ok! Dude was chilling and having an adventure, dabbling in the jailbird life!

Honestly, I would have preferred this. Or some noble idea that he could help save some other prisoners or something.  LOL

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

It's almost like The Flash wants to keep Iris and Barry chaste despite being married. Would it kill them to use tongue once? It's so weird.

Makes me wonder if it's not the writers but the actors just don't want to do it. Candice was OK being more affectionate with Eddie and Grant was comfortable with Shantelle. So maybe it's that they don't get along enough to be comfortable enough to do intimate scenes

Well to be fair not everyone has the commitment of SA and EBR.

Lol sometimes I wonder what the script instructions say! I imagine something like this:

Instructions: They hug and kiss

SA & EBR: *heart eyes, move to a hug which involves arm rubbing, back rubbing, moves in for a kiss, tongue or whatever creative new kiss they come up with*

Other TV couples: *friendly hug and peck on the lips* 

I reckon being actual besties and hanging out every other weekend has something to do with it.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 14
Just now, WindofChange said:

Makes me wonder if it's not the writers but the actors just don't want to do it. Candice was OK being more affectionate with Eddie and Grant was comfortable with Shantelle. So maybe it's that they don't get along enough to be comfortable enough to do intimate scenes

I don't know. I thought maybe the writers, the network, other PTB see Barry as a good boy who even if he gets married would sleep with one foot off the bed as though they were in the 1950s or something.  I keed. Mostly.

Do they need to have a heavy make out session to show passion as husband and wife? YES, I think they do. I could have bought into, Barry and Iris are waiting for marriage to demonstrate sexual passion with each other if not for the fact that they have been living together and woke up in the same bed the morning of their wedding so that implies the have been having sex before they got married. Unless they just spooned a lot LOL. 

But for the sake of argument, let's say they waited to show all the passion until marriage (which might also explain why Iris was so pissed about nuptualis interruptus , she wanted to have sex with her man FFS), MO At this point, they are married and there is no good or bad reason to not show one heavy make out session. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Well to be fair not everyone has the commitment of SA and EBR.

I don't think most actors do... SA/EBR are on a different level there so it's not really a fair comparison lol! Look at Emma/Hook, Clarke/Bellamy, MonEl/Kara, all the TvD ships... They all try more than Candice/Grant do... It's baffling because it's not really that hard to kiss for 3-5 more seconds lol

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

I don't think most actors do... SA/EBR are on a different level there so it's not really a fair comparison lol! Look at Emma/Hook, Clarke/Bellamy, MonEl/Kara, all the TvD ships... They all try more than Candice/Grant do... It's baffling because it's not really that hard to kiss for 3-5 more seconds lol

For me, it's not even the kissing. There are other ways to show intimacy and passion beyond kissing. There is a way that SA and EBR commit to playing invested lovers. The hand touches, the passionate heart eyes, not just the loving heart eyes. The heart eyes that say "I love you and I want to fuck you like you've never been fucked before and I love you". 

I feel like with Iris and Barry, it's not even like they are an old married couple who don't need to be touchy feely with each other but who might have a passion between them nonetheless.  That's what I find missing with WA. I did see that though with Iris and Eddie.  Maybe Grant and Candice just don't have that particular spark between them.

• Love 11

I agree, but I've complained about this for a long time now. I don't know what it is. I do wonder if it's the actors. They had a good makeout scene in ONE episode early in season 3, that was pretty much it. Maybe if they had let them kiss like that a little more often they would have gotten more comfortable doing it, but as it is it seems they've gotten less comfortable, falling back on pecks even in places that call for a deep kiss (like the speed force one in the courtroom). I know that stage directions are like non-existent in the scripts, so it's up to them whether or not to be more physically affectionate in scenes that just say "kiss." 

Looks like they opt to get it over with quickly with a peck.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

For me, it's not even the kissing. There are other ways to show intimacy and passion beyond kissing. There is a way that SA and EBR commit to playing invested lovers. The hand touches, the passionate heart eyes, not just the loving heart eyes. The heart eyes that say "I love you and I want to fuck you like you've never been fucked before and I love you". 

I feel like with Iris and Barry, it's not even like they are an old married couple who don't need to be touchy feely with each other but who might have a passion between them nonetheless.  That's what I find missing with WA. I did see that though with Iris and Eddie.  Maybe Grant and Candice just don't have that particular spark between them.

THIS!!!!! This times 1000!

I am a big FitzSimmons shipper and I know there are people who complain that they are like colleagues/siblings but for me FitzSimmons have this adorable cute old, married, I know everything about you since forever, vibe that is completely missing with WA so all we are left with is lots of declarations of how WA are epic but I do not see or feel it! 

ETA: I ADORED the FitzSimmons first time scene because it was soooooo cute and so true to who they were! Completely different to Olicity but it was excellent still imo! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

And if you see, a lot of Olicity's physical interactions are unscripted, meaning, it's Stephen/Emily who bring life to the relationship. It's like Grant/Candice aren't committed to the relationship enough which is weird considering Candice talks about them all the time.

11 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I agree, but I've complained about this for a long time now. I don't know what it is. I do wonder if it's the actors. They had a good makeout scene in ONE episode early in season 3, that was pretty much it. Maybe if they had let them kiss like that a little more often they would have gotten more comfortable doing it, but as it is it seems they've gotten less comfortable, falling back on pecks even in places that call for a deep kiss (like the speed force one in the courtroom). I know that stage directions are like non-existent in the scripts, so it's up to them whether or not to be more physically affectionate in scenes that just say "kiss." 

Looks like they opt to get it over with quickly with a peck.

Yup I noticed it too... And to be I can't blame the writers anymore because their physical interactions seem forced/scripted, almost as if they refuse to touch one another and bring life to the relatoinship in that sense unless it's in the script. 

6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I am a big FitzSimmons shipper and I know there are people who complain that they are like colleagues/siblings but for me FitzSimmons have this adorable cute old, married, I know everything about you since forever, vibe that is completely missing with WA so all we are left with is lots of declarations of how WA are epic but I do not see or feel it! 

The thing with FitzSimmons though is that although they initially had that cute sibling vibe (mostly because the actors just considered them siblings and were even shocked that their scenes and shots were being framed and edited in a romantic style), once their love story became finalized (in a "yep, the tortured love story of this series is indeed between these two instead of with Daisy and anyone else"), the actors were still able to commit to more energy in their interactions. Heck, s4 and s5 had them being pretty physical with their kisses and passionate with their declarations of love. Heck, they were even able to put so much emotion into FitzSimmons into just interacting as LMD-Fitz and real Simmons as they were basically trying to kill one another. Although for them I do attribute a good portion of it to them growing into their roles and growing as actors.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, way2interested said:

The thing with FitzSimmons though is that although they initially had that cute sibling vibe (mostly because the actors just considered them siblings and were even shocked that their scenes and shots were being framed and edited in a romantic style), once their love story became finalized (in a "yep, the tortured love story of this series is indeed between these two instead of with Daisy and anyone else"), the actors were still able to commit to more energy in their interactions. Heck, s4 and s5 had them being pretty physical with their kisses and passionate with their declarations of love. Heck, they were even able to put so much emotion into FitzSimmons into just interacting as LMD-Fitz and real Simmons as they were basically trying to kill one another. Although for them I do attribute a good portion of it to them growing into their roles and growing as actors.

I went berserk when I hit the episode where she made Fitz a sandwich and Ward threw it out when Fitz tried to eat it. I was like SOLD on the ship after that episode!

The LMD fight was shiver inducing! AoS is so awesome! 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I believe that Stephen and Emily are genuine friends.  I think the fact that Stephen played a male prostitute and Emily is a bit of a free spirit means they have no problem breaking traditional barriers, for which I thank them.

It's like what Stephen once said at a con, you can tell when actors are friends because it translates onto the screen, so bless David/Emily/Stephen for all being great friends. I'd even go as far as to say Stephen/Emily are best friends based on how much time they spend together and how they interact from what we've seen at cons.

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I believe that Stephen and Emily are genuine friends.  I think the fact that Stephen played a male prostitute and Emily is a bit of a free spirit means they have no problem breaking traditional barriers, for which I thank them.

A. I think that is very true, and its why I think we got Olicity in the first place. You can tell that Stephen and Emily really like each other, and they have a great natural chemistry in real life that so clearly showed up on screen as well. I mean, Felicity wasn't even supposed to be a main character, let alone Oliver's Once True Love, but their natural connection shone through, and here we are. 

B. What is this show/movie where Stephen played a prostitute?!?!

Well, they're definitely more sociable. From what I hear, Grant's a hermit who doesn't hang out with anyone in the cast off set ever (or very rarely) and never goes to cons, as we know. And according to the Vancouver paps, Candice is the most standoffish person in the entire Arrowverse.

Take all that stuff with a grain of salt of course, but If it's at all true, then those two might need some serious stage direction when it comes to physical intimacy, to force them into it. (Like I said, I DID think that makeout scene from one episode in Season 3 was good, but I'm also sure that the script must have spelled out specifically "start making out heavily" or something).

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

those two might need some serious stage direction when it comes to physical intimacy, to force them into it

IDK I think that forcing them might not lead to the desired effect, it could lead to worse chemistry because of how uncomfortable it is over time. You don't want to end up being like Laurel/Oliver...

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

IDK I think that forcing them might not lead to the desired effect, it could lead to worse chemistry because of how uncomfortable it is over time. You don't want to end up being like Laurel/Oliver...

It could also allow them to get more comfortable/used to it, especially if the problem is shyness or hesitancy. I think they've had lots of good scenes together (their therapy scenes were great, their Earth-2 stuff was great), I just think when it comes to expressing physical affection/kissing they clearly hold back for some reason.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

Considering how Grant didn't have a problem with Shantelle and Candice didn't have a problem with Rick I don't think the problem is shyness.

I do not think he has been good with any of his love interests in this whole kissing/affection department. I've always thought he's been awkward there.

As for her, Candice and Rick only ever had pecks too, but he was a cardboard cutout who blended into the wallpaper for me.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

Considering how Grant didn't have a problem with Shantelle and Candice didn't have a problem with Rick I don't think the problem is shyness.

Yeah, it's been a long time, but I remember feeling like both those couples had good chemistry.

I left my Olicity-centric comments in the Romance thread. Stephen and Emily's commitment to touching each other probably deserves its own entire thread.

• Love 15

I'm really wondering how many times Westallen can say "You're my home" or something to that extent before it starts getting old and less special?

1 minute ago, ruby24 said:

As for her, Candice and Rick only ever had pecks too, but he was a cardboard cutout who blended in to the wallpaper for me.

I think their pecks were a lot better than what Grant/Candice tried to sell in the last episode... They definitely lasted longer. Let me see if I can find gifs for comparison. 

latest?cb=20151009131832 tumblr_obz7qjGx791rsc3z0o4_250.gif tumblr_no9szx24ZE1qe0l0wo10_250.gif

tumblr_nksr5phJOl1qe1x1eo3_500.gif

Also this is so cute omg:

tumblr_obz7qjGx791rsc3z0o6_250.gif

Hello I now miss Eddie all over again.

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

In all fairness, I don't think Candice and Grant could get to be this bad:

FLG1uC4.gif

• Love 23

I  wonder if Grant's real life fairly recent engagement is affecting how physical he wants to get. Although I always thought that Barry and Patty worked because they were both like a couple of tweens .v

42 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

Instead of forcing them,  I think they should be given a couple of easy tricks to show their intimacy like casual shoulder rubs or linked fingers,  things that the audience can interpolate from but don't make the actors uncomfortable .

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Instead of forcing them,  I think they should be given a couple of easy tricks to show their intimacy like casual shoulder rubs or linked fingers,  things that the audience can interpolate from but don't make the actors uncomfortable .

Grant actually does do stuff like that- even in that scene in the last episode he was rubbing Iris's back the whole time. The problem is the kissing itself. No one is going to tell them it needs to be improved, that they need to stop holding back. But that's what they need to do. 

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1