Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Finally got to see the film for a second time.  I don't know what it is, but even though I still see enough of the flaws while watching it now, it just still holds up for me, and was just as enjoyable at the first time I saw it.  And even though it is the longest of the Marvel films, it never feels too long or like it is dragging.  I don't know how they've pulled off of this off, but it's just become one of those films where even though it is imperfect, there is just something about it that I feel will stand the test of time, and I'll probably keep enjoying it years from now.  Still don't think it will ever reach top five of the Marvel Cinema Universe, but I think I'd probably place it right in 6th place.

Also just want to toss in a few interesting notes about the screening that I thought was interesting.  Despite being in about its fourth week, the crowd still seemed to really get into it from some minor cheering and clapping, right down to someone flat-out sobbing at the end (I can't think of the last time I ever saw that), so either there are still people who haven't seen it yet finally getting a chance (and managing to somehow not get spoiled), or some fans are just really that invested that it still hurts when they see it again.  And on a personal note, I was watching it with my parents who were also seeing it for the first time, and even though they are casual fans (they've seen most, but not all of the past films), they seemed to be able to follow along and not get too confused over anything that was expanded upon in another film.  But they've actually not seen any of the Guardians films, but they not only were able to get the basic idea of their backstories and personalities, but seemed to enjoy them.  I'm pretty sure Rocket might be one of my dad's new favorites, because was pretty much laughing at every single line by him.  So, naturally, I'm now trying to get them to watch those films!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

Heh, I think one of the reasons Steve and Bucky actually work as a romantic relationship for a lot of fans is because they aren't trying to write a "romantic relationship", they're just trying to write about two characters that love each other.  

Yeah, they weren't really writing a romance there, just a story of true love. That's why it doesn't suck. 

1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

MCU Fans: "The movies are terrible at presenting romantic relationships and should just focus on inter-team friendships!"

Also MCU Fans: "The movies should totally let Steve and Bucky get together....even though the movies are terrible at presenting romantic relationships!"

I actually (mostly) agree with the first statement. As for the second; that's what fanfic is for. Some of those writers do it much much better.

As for me, I only ship the shield and the arm and that already ended tragically in Civil War. :(

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Also MCU Fans: "The movies should totally let Steve and Bucky get together....even though the movies are terrible at presenting romantic relationships!"

Shippers ruin everything. Neither character is remotely gay, but who cares as long as fanon trumps reality, right?

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, festivus said:

As for the second; that's what fanfic is for. 

Well... I think we actually do deserve to have well written (diverse) romance on screen as well, and I think it can be done well, and can enhance an action adventure story rather than detract from it. 

I mentioned 12 Monkeys in the other thread and I think they do a great job of integrating the romantic elements into the dystopian action/plot, but the quest still drives all the action so where the romance is concerned, less is definitely more, and that makes it so much more precious when you do see it (the first Die Hard movie is another good example of this).  I think a lot of it is that the people who are writing these things need to be able to think outside the box when it comes to 'canon' romance, but I think they just don't prioritize it, because EXPLOSIONS.  But these guys are able to show amazing character moments in fight scenes, so they are capable of that level of subtlety if they wanted to be.

I think it was the Russos? that said that Steve and Bucky's relationship was the big romance in Winter Soldier so they purposely used traditionally romantic story tropes with them (hell, it was practically the same story line that was later used for Matt and Elektra), but because the two characters are male, they wrote them as very close friends first.  But that's something I rarely see done with the "canon" romance storylines, which I think is a big part of the reason why they often feel less authentic.  But because of that, even if they never share an overtly canon 'romantic' moment on screen, Steve and Bucky are still the most romantic MCU couple to me.   

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Dee said:

Shippers ruin everything. Neither character is remotely gay, but who cares as long as fanon trumps reality, right?

It's actually perversely delightful to think that the shippers would be okay with it being terrible if it meant Barnes and Rogers were a real couple, but that's because my heart is black and cold.

• Love 1
(edited)

The thing about Steve is that he has three very plausible non-canon romantic relationships imo.

All the emotional beats usually attributed to Steve and Bucky, also strongly apply to both Steve and Nat and Steve and Sam.

Hell, CA:TWS, alone, is a virtual paean to all three ships. To say nothing of how each of those ensuing pairings have grown over time, both separately, and together.

The biggest problem is the MCU hasn't had a canon LGBT ship yet so many fans turn to substituting fanon for canon ala Thor/Loki, Tony/Bruce, etc imo.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Characters who we've spent the better part of 10 years getting to know got short shrift. Cap was shafted. Black Panther was shafted. Black Widow got a wry smile with Bruce and the world's briefest "yay girl power" scene to conclude her MCU arc. Gamora had a real arc. Tony had a real arc. Thor, Rocket, and Groot had a real arc. Wanda and Vision too.

In the interview they said that characters who appeared to be shafted in this movie will have more to do in the next one, they specifically mentioned Steve (which makes sense since these guys wrote all 3 Cap movies too).

I'm no shipper but if they revealed that Bucky and Cap were in love with each other I'd buy it. I mean if they were a guy and a girl this would be their love story. Separated by time, space, kidnapping, mental illness and now death? Shakespeare wishes!

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Dee said:

The biggest problem is the MCU hasn't had a canon LGBT ship yet so many fans turn to substituting fanon for canon ala Thor/Loki, Tony/Bruce, etc imo.

Maybe they should have introduced Valkyrie sooner. Oh well they can still get on that, they just have to figure out what female character they are going to pair her up with. Or hell, make it a threesome.

Edited by Smad
4 hours ago, Dee said:

It wouldn't matter. Fans wouldn't ship it.

Not accurate. There are of course pairings that are less popular than others, but on a fanfic site I belong to there are over two hundred thousand stories based on the MCU and more than thirty thousand just on the Thor movies. Valkyrie is a fairly new character, and since she's both supporting cast and absent from Infinity War she hasn't had time to get much traction yet, but that doesn't mean people wouldn't ship her with whoever she happens to meet later. Here is a handy chart about how shipping in the franchise works, and while it's a joke, it's also not a joke.

image.png.c5009bd94f54219499ef32acf1725d01.png

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Not accurate. There are of course pairings that are less popular than others, but on a fanfic site I belong to there are over two hundred thousand stories based on the MCU and more than thirty thousand just on the Thor movies. Valkyrie is a fairly new character, and since she's both supporting cast and absent from Infinity War she hasn't had time to get much traction yet, but that doesn't mean people wouldn't ship her with whoever she happens to meet later.

And Thessa Thompson is up for it I'm guessing. It even became a topic on her Twitter. Her character is bisexual in the comics. And while nothing was stated in the movie about her sexuality (so we can't know), someone tried to put her into the lesbian corner (because comics). Thessa came right out and corrected that person and said Valkyrie is bisexual.

It's kind of interesting that the TV shows have no problem with it. AoS and Jessica Jones did it. But it's like the movies take place 40+ years back in terms of peoples mentality and sensibilities. When women weren't leading movies/shows, everything is old fashioned, people of color are canon fodder and LGBT characters rarely featured. It's no surprise to me that generally slash fanfiction is the most viewed/commented on fiction in regards to the MCU. I mean Kraglin/Yondu was THE ship when it comes to GOTG until we got close to IW. And not the canon couple that was hinted at (Gamora/Quill) in the movies.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Dee said:

All the emotional beats usually attributed to Steve and Bucky, also strongly apply to both Steve and Nat and Steve and Sam.

But they don’t.  Even in this movie with not even 2 minutes of screen time together, they firmly establish Nat and Sam as Steve’s comrades in arms, but nothing more on screen (while also giving a moment of screen time to remind viewers of Nat and Bruce’s romantic history).  While showing Steve’s relationship with Bucky as separate and special to the point of likely being kept private to some extent by Steve, or Sam wouldn’t have been surprised that Steve knew exactly where and how to get into Wakanda.   

And while Peter was the last one to be lost while clinging to Tony when the snap occurred, Bucky was the first… and right in front of Steve, so we could experience Steve’s devastation with him.  Steve’s relationship with Bucky is clearly given more narrative weight here than either Nat’s or Sam’s. 

And with the writer’s comments about Sharon in that interview, if the best they could come up with for a ‘romantic’ scene was her and Steve trying to be domestic together (“trying to make it work” which sounds more painful and awkward than fun and/or sexy), then it’s no wonder that the romance with Sharon has always felt more like it was just tacked on, because it was (which is what I meant when I said I think they are better at writing romance when they aren’t trying). 

And I actually liked how they handled Wanda and Vision scenes in this movie (where I was mainly just annoyed with Vision before), but I think they actually took some time to make those scenes work better because the function was to get the audience to care about Vision, so there would be an emotional attachment to Vision in order to give his later loss weight (which is a common tactic in TV writing where they give a side character a focus ep, giving them depth and making them interesting right before they kill them), so again... more evidence that they're better at writing romance when the romance itself isn't the focus.  

If either Steve or Bucky, or both of them were women, there would be no question that their relationship could realistically be seen as romantic, and that it carried more romantic weight than any of Steve’s other relationships, even Peggy’s (simply because of the amount of history and time they've had together).  Whether anyone would like the idea is an entirely different question, but the validity of that reading wouldn’t be in question given the narrative they’ve followed from The First Avenger.   I think the writers are a lot better than they think at writing romance, but I think they still have some pretty limited and outdated ideas of what romance is, and that's why they're still so hit or miss at it.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Not accurate. There are of course pairings that are less popular than others, but on a fanfic site I belong to there are over two hundred thousand stories based on the MCU and more than thirty thousand just on the Thor movies. Valkyrie is a fairly new character, and since she's both supporting cast and absent from Infinity War she hasn't had time to get much traction yet, but that doesn't mean people wouldn't ship her with whoever she happens to meet later. Here is a handy chart about how shipping in the franchise works, and while it's a joke, it's also not a joke.

image.png.c5009bd94f54219499ef32acf1725d01.png

It's not that fans wouldn't ship it, period.

It's just that a huge deficit in terms of devotion to the character from fandom would remain (as it currently does), relative to her position as MCU's first canon LGBT character.

Now, if she looked like Mila Kunis, it wouldn't even be an issue.

43 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

But they don’t.  Even in this movie with not even 2 minutes of screen time together, they firmly establish Nat and Sam as Steve’s comrades in arms

But they do.

Steve has been shown to lean on, depend on, and aggressively seek out Nat & Sam just as much as he has Bucky. They've both helped him to survive and have consciously chosen to assist Steve in his various missions. And their emotional relationships to Steve can be read just as emotionally intimate with very little effort.

It's also very telling that despite the various chances Steve could have remained with Bucky, he actively chooses to return to Sam and/or Nat. The same applies to Bucky. He could've been traveling with Team Cap in the intervening years since Civil War, now that he's properly healed, yet he was content farming goats in Wakanda.

And while Peter was the last one to be lost while clinging to Tony when the snap occurred, Bucky was the first… and right in front of Steve, so we could experience Steve’s devastation with him.  Steve’s relationship with Bucky is clearly given more narrative weight here than either Nat’s or Sam’s. 

Except everyone's disappearing happened fairly quickly. Rocket essentially received the same amount of time reacting to Groot's disappearance, that doesn't mean the writer's intent is to read them as romantically involved.

If you ship them as a pairing, that's perfectly fine, but canon doesn't support it.

As for the rest of your post, shipping is a very complex issue greatly complicated by many factors, not the least of which consist of, age, gender, sexuality and most especially, race. However, since that particular conversation isn't on topic, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Dee said:

It's not that fans wouldn't ship it, period.

But that's exactly what you said, so I'm confused about where we're disagreeing or even if we are disagreeing.

We know little about Valkyrie at this point except that she's a bitter, functioning alcoholic who saw her last girlfriend get stabbed in the back in a battle there was no chance she and her fellow warriors could win. I haven't had time to watch Jessica Jones, but from what I've gleaned here she's a popular character despite also being a bitter, functioning alcoholic, and Krysten Ritter doesn't look like Mila Kunis either. It took waiting until Infinity War was over to find out that Valkyrie was even still alive, that she managed to get away before Thanos attacked the refugee ship. But we don't know where she is or how she'll get back or anything else. I checked Thompson's IMDB page since it seems like the cast list for the next film can't possibly be complete, and she's apparently back filming Westworld, but I think it's a little premature to say 'people won't ship Valkyrie with other characters when she's only been in one movie. Agree to disagree, though, at least if that's what's happening.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

But that's exactly what you said, so I'm confused about where we're disagreeing or even if we are disagreeing.

I'm saying that Valkyrie, as played by Tessa, would attract very little interest, as the MCU's first potentially canon LGBT character.

Even now, without the character being canon LGBT, yet still played by Tessa, there is very little interest.

For instance, compare the reception of her character, in fandom, to that of Darcy.

One is paired endlessly with other MCU characters, and inspires tomes of fanfiction, and the other is Valkyrie.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

that doesn't mean the writer's intent is to read them as romantically involved.

I took your post to be about narrative weight related to Sam and Natasha's on screen relationship to Steve compared to his on screen relationship to Bucky, not necessarily about 'shipping'.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

If you ship them as a pairing, that's perfectly fine, but canon doesn't support it.

But I think Steve and Bucky’s on screen relationship does work equally well as platonic family, or as romantic love interests.

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

I took your post to be about narrative weight related to Sam and Natasha's on screen relationship to Steve compared to his on screen relationship to Bucky, not necessarily about 'shipping'.

It's all intertwined. One feeds the other, and the end result is largely subjective imo.

For instance, in terms of narrative, beyond First Avenger, Bucky, as a character, has largely been a cipher.

Most of what can be, and has been, gleaned about his motives and emotional state has been heavily driven by fans.

Similar cases about the significance of Steve's relationships with Nat & Sam can easily be made using canon examples.

But I think Steve and Bucky’s on screen relationship does work equally well as platonic family, or as romantic love interests.

Same with Steve and Nat and/or Steve and Sam imo.

The only on screen relationship of Steve's that just doesn't make any sense, platonic or otherwise, is Steve & Tony.

But that's another story, for another day.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Dee said:

Same with Steve and Nat and/or Steve and Sam imo.

So you've circled back from this?

12 hours ago, Dee said:

My main point was that platonic and romantic are both valid readings of the on screen text.  And that I think the writers are much better at writing romance when they're not explicitly trying to (which I find really interesting all on it's own, and I have some ideas about that as well, particularly after that interview and how they acted during the Bucky/Steve and Sharon/Steve part of it).  

• Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

So you've circled back from this?

How is that 'circling?' Steve has only exhibited canon interest in women, Sam & Natasha's sexual preferences are still up in the air.

However, we're getting way off topic. It's probably best to either further discuss the issue in a MCU relationship thread, or just agree to disagree.

Edited by Dee
53 minutes ago, Dee said:

I'm saying that Valkyrie, as played by Tessa, would attract very little interest, as the MCU's first potentially canon LGBT character.

Even now, without the character being canon LGBT, yet still played by Tessa, there is very little interest.

For instance, compare the reception of her character, in fandom, to that of Darcy.

One is paired endlessly with other MCU characters, and inspires tomes of fanfiction, and the other is Valkyrie.

I don't know if Darcy and Valkyrie is a fair comparison. Darcy has been around a lot longer and she's one of the few bright spots in two fairly terrible movies. A more accurate comparison would be Happy Hogan or Erik Selvig.

10 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

My main point was that platonic and romantic are both valid readings of the on screen text.  And that I think the writers are much better at writing romance when they're not explicitly trying to (which I find really interesting all on it's own, and I have some ideas about that as well, particularly after that interview and how they acted during the Bucky/Steve and Sharon/Steve part of it).  

Markus and McFeeley wrote two decent canon ships (Steve/Peggy and Vision/Wanda). Because they half-assed Sharon and Steve, it's treated with derision by many fans. Maybe if the Sharon and Steve thing wasn't up there as a primer of what not to do, certain fans wouldn't have seen a romantic reading to Steve and Bucky. But at the end of the day, it is what it is. They screwed it up. They need to figure out how to right/write the ship (Steve and Sharon) or just drop it. Anyway, I think this discussion is probably too far afield and should move to the general Marvel thread.

• Love 2
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Even though I don't ship them romantically (in the movies) I agree with you there. Hell, in the first CA movie they had the prince rescuing the princess from the tower a la Sleeping Beauty. Don't tell me they didn't know what they were doing there. As for shippers, there are always militant ones in every fandom. I don't pay any attention to them. 

I'm interested to hear your thoughts about the interview.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't in the general thread, I get confused. I'll leave this anyway because I think the interview was posted in this thread.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't know if Darcy and Valkyrie is a fair comparison. Darcy has been around a lot longer and she's one of the few bright spots in two fairly terrible movies. A more accurate comparison would be Happy Hogan or Erik Selvig.

Selvig and Happy have been around as long as Darcy, longer in Happy's case.

The reception to Sif, and Thor/Sif, compared to Valkyrie and Thor/Valkyrie is very telling imo.

4 minutes ago, festivus said:

Hell, in the first CA movie they had the prince rescuing the princess from the tower a la Sleeping Beauty.

They played similar beats with Nat in Winter Soldier and Sam in Civil War.

• Love 1

Steve and Peggy will forever be my number 1. That last scene of them saying goodbye on the radio made  the first Cap movie for me. That said I also buy Steve's (platonic or not) love for Bucky and this made tweet made me laugh: 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Steve and Peggy will forever be my number 1. That last scene of them saying goodbye on the radio made  the first Cap movie for me. That said I also buy Steve's (platonic or not) love for Bucky and this made tweet made me laugh: 

That scene broke my heart but not as much as the one at the nursing home in WS. I still have a hard time with that one.

That tweet is funny but I do care about Bucky. I can't help it, I love my tragic characters like Bucky and Nebula. I think the thing I'm most interested in for A4 is what is going to happen with Nebula. 

• Love 3

Since they were still thinking of going with Steve/Sharon, they seem to be implying Steve is straight. We don't know about Bucky's sexuality since his storyline mostly happens off screen. 

I liked Valkyrie and wished we saw in her IW.  

• Love 3

The Marvel movies have wasted Bucky completely, and turning him into the macguffin that sets up the Steve/Tony fight was cheap as hell. That effectively ruined Civil War for me. Especially when they made it so obvious that Bucky is barely a character, with the whole 'right, you've done what was needed, so let's put you on ice' resolution.

But regarding their sexuality, every text reference in the movies tells me they're straight. Bucky is a ladies man, in The First Avenger, hooking up with one or both of the dates he and Steve take to the World's Fair, and then trying to flirt with Peggy later in the movie. Steve is interested in the date Bucky finds him, then he's flummoxed by Natalie Dormer and clearly falls for Peggy.

Steve obviously has some sort of half-arsed thing with Sharon in Civil War, but it's another lazy nod to the comic book story that feels out of place because they didn't do the groundwork. And, as was predicted by many, fans were squicked out by the idea of Steve getting it on with Peggy's grandniece.

The subtext can obviously read differently, but to me that's down to the role Bucky plays of needing to be saved, in some form, in each of the movies he's appeared in. And now this latest movie has just played that card again, because Steve's motivation is still about saving, or getting revenge for, Bucky.

• Love 11

One of the things I'm most curious about at this point is whether or not Infinity War will be able to match or surpass the Black Panther's domestic total.  I'm thinking it may fall short.  It has outperformed Black Panther so far, but Black Panther had strong legs.

From what I've seen where I go for fic, there's plenty interest in Valkyrie and Valkyrie/Thor.  Could there be more? More than likely. There are plenty reason why certain characters generate fans and shippers more than others. In my experience, het pairings in certain universes aren't as big as slash ones. And in this case, since Valkyrie didn't interact with any other female characters in the Marvel universe, the potential pairings haven't occurred just yet for some fans. I've seen a few slash pairings. We'll see what happens in after A4. 

Shippers ruin everything.

What is ruined?  Asking because I haven't noticed, so I'm wondering what I missed.

I'm wondering the same thing.

Before seeing this one, if you had asked me about Thanos, I might've given you a blank look and had to rack my brain for info on his character.  He never resonated much with me.  I didn't care much for his quest.  In this though?  Way to make a compelling character.  Even though he's wrong, wrong, and more wrong, I could understand his viewpoint and want to watch and see what he does. 

I can't really understand it. With the full gauntlet he basically had god-like powers to control just about anything. If he was really worried about people suffering due to limited resources, just use the stones to make more resources. If your go to solution is to wipe out half the population of the universe, you're just an asshole.

Can the stones be used to make more resources? I really don't know. The thought didn't even occur to me. Even if the stones could be used to make more resources, do you really think that's what he would do? He says the dusting is about that killing half the universe so the other half can survive on what's left of the resources. But I don't think it really is when it comes right down to it. It's a big part of it. The bigger part is probably the power that comes with the ability to be able to dust half the universe's population. And if it's not that, he's just a psychopath, sociopath, whichever one is applicable to him that would dust half the universe rather than create more resources. 

• Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, nicepebbles said:

The bigger part is probably the power that comes with the ability to be able to dust half the universe's population. And if it's not that, he's just a psychopath, sociopath, whichever one is applicable to him that would dust half the universe rather than create more resources. 

Yeah, that was my sense too.  Even if it would have occurred to him to do something that would help instead of harm (which I think is debatable all on it's own), I don't see where he would have made that choice, because he liked throwing Gamora off that cliff, and I think the more it hurt, the better he liked it... he enjoyed having the power to do something that so many other powerful beings were desperately trying to stop him from doing but couldn't.  At it's core, his motivation for his actions was just about exercising that power...  Imposing his 'will' on anyone he chose, and the fact that they couldn't do anything to stop him.  He simply wouldn't have gotten the same pleasure by doing something others would have been happy he was doing.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 5

Yes, Thanos is definitely nuts no matter how he spins his stories.  He could have used the Infinity Stones to create more resources for those in the galaxies but I think in his mind he's one of those guys who believes things will be better if you just get rid of half the population because you don't need more people around.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, benteen said:

Yes, Thanos is definitely nuts no matter how he spins his stories.  He could have used the Infinity Stones to create more resources for those in the galaxies but I think in his mind he's one of those guys who believes things will be better if you just get rid of half the population because you don't need more people around.

I think in their half assed way the writers tried to get around that by having him say that resources are 'finite'. But I don't buy it because 'half of all life' means plenty of resources were snapped away as well. Which is probably something the writers didn't think bout. And as we see on our very Earth, entire eco-systems go bye bye if there is a dramatic change in even one link of one system. So while maybe plants didn't get snapped, animals and the like sure as hell should have. Because IMO there is nothing to say animals don't have souls or something similar.

If resources are finite and can't be created, why didn't Thanos just reset all resources back to their original creation and lower the fertility rates. Or bring dead planets back to life and resettle people there. Bringing dead planets back is not creating new resources, it's just bringing back what used to be there.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Lets be honest: this is all going to end up being because Thanos was just pissed that one of his favorite vacation or tourist spots has been getting too crowded, and he is using this "balancing the universe to save itself" as an excuse.  Like he wants to go to Disney World, but it's just too damn crowded, so now with half of the population gone, he now has more time to ride Space Mountain or the Pirates of the Caribbean ride without having to wait in line for hours...

This certainly makes more sense than Thanos' motive in the movie.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Lets be honest: this is all going to end up being because Thanos was just pissed that one of his favorite vacation or tourist spots has been getting too crowded, and he is using this "balancing the universe to save itself" as an excuse.  Like he wants to go to Disney World, but it's just too damn crowded, so now with half of the population gone, he now has more time to ride Space Mountain or the Pirates of the Caribbean ride without having to wait in line for hours...

But what if all the park staff got snapped, and there's no one to make things go?

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I can just picture him whining about how he used to go to Coachella back when it was cool before everyone else heard about it.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I seriously need some gifted artist to draw Thanos riding on Space Mountain all by himself!

• Love 1

Chris Pratt Defends Star Lord’s ‘Infinity War’ Decision Against Angry Fans: ‘He Reacted in a Way That’s Human’

“People seem to be upset with Star-Lord,” Chris Pratt told RadioTimes with a laugh. The actor was acknowledging the extreme fan backlash to Star Lord’s decision. Marvel fans reacted in fury to the character’s choice since it led to fan favorites like Spider-Man, Drax the Destroyer, and Doctor Strange being killed off (at least temporarily). Although Pratt understands the outrage, he is quick to defend Star Lord’s decision.

“Look – the guy watched his mother die, he watched as his father-figure died in his arms, he was forced to kill his own biological father,” Pratt said. “And now has suffered the loss of the love of his life. So I think he reacted in a way that’s very human, and I think the humanity of the Guardians of the Galaxy is what sets them apart from other superheroes. I think if we did it a hundred times I wouldn’t change a thing.”

Getting a little more jokey about the backlash, Pratt replied, “And also, I blame Thanos, OK? Jeez, how come he’s not getting any blame? Clearly I’m very sensitive about this.”

Totally agree!

• Love 13
19 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I sympathize with this. I was just at Disney World for the first half of May... but it wasn't all that crowded to be honest. I've seen worse. And Thanos' randomizer or whatever would do something lame like not dust the assholes who slam into your ankles from behind with strollers, or the 6 foot tall dudes that squeeze in front of you five minutes before the fireworks and then put a kid on their shoulders effectively blocking out anything you might get to see.

• Love 4
(edited)
19 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

16 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I sympathize with this. I was just at Disney World for the first half of May... but it wasn't all that crowded to be honest. I've seen worse. And Thanos' randomizer or whatever would do something lame like not dust the assholes who slam into your ankles from behind with strollers, or the 6 foot tall dudes that squeeze in front of you five minutes before the fireworks and then put a kid on their shoulders effectively blocking out anything you might get to see.

Jennifer Morrison(House, Once Upon a Time) in a 2014 Nerdist podcast interview said one of my favorite things at the 48 minute mark:

“Every time I’m in Disney World this is what I think: I look around and see all the kids I think ‘Oh my god, everyone's having sex! EVERYONE! Look at all these kids!’ It's just proof everyone's having sex! Look at all these children!”

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
On 5/30/2018 at 8:49 AM, Smad said:

I think in their half assed way the writers tried to get around that by having him say that resources are 'finite'. But I don't buy it because 'half of all life' means plenty of resources were snapped away as well. Which is probably something the writers didn't think bout. And as we see on our very Earth, entire eco-systems go bye bye if there is a dramatic change in even one link of one system. So while maybe plants didn't get snapped, animals and the like sure as hell should have. Because IMO there is nothing to say animals don't have souls or something similar.

If resources are finite and can't be created, why didn't Thanos just reset all resources back to their original creation and lower the fertility rates. Or bring dead planets back to life and resettle people there. Bringing dead planets back is not creating new resources, it's just bringing back what used to be there.

If resources can't be created just use the mind stone to make people smarter or the time stone to get future technology. Either option could advance technology to allow people to use their resources more efficiently.

I thought of another scene then I need to see an A4. Valkyrie brings the Asgardian Remnant to Earth and when Banner sees her he automatically hulks out because Hulk wants to play with Angry Girl again. and then I need to see Valkyrie, Nat and Okoye  team up to beat the crap out of somebody

• Love 8
On 5/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, Wynterwolf said:

Aye, there's the rub.  The "blame" belongs to the perpetrator... not the victims.  ;-)

Word on that. What he did was a tragic mistake, yes, but I understood it. And everyone blaming him and not Thanos, the guy who actually killed half the universe, puts a bad taste in my mouth. Thanos is the one who killed everyone, not Peter. 

• Love 6
On 31.5.2018 at 6:13 PM, VCRTracking said:

To quote Rocket: Everybody's got dead people. That's no excuse to get everyone else dead along the way.

I think it's such an issue with Star-Lord because the scene took forever. The writers gave him all the time in the world. While there were 4 people who could have stopped Quill. Tony could have simply blasted him. Nebula or Drax could have knocked him out. Quill could have stopped himself and just go and punch or shoot a bolder to vent his anger and then take a shot at Thanos when the glove was off. The other multitude of screw ups in the movie were quick in comparison (except Thor) or sprinkled into different, small scenes.

• Love 3
On 5/31/2018 at 9:01 PM, anna0852 said:

...and then I need to see Valkyrie, Nat and Okoye  team up to beat the crap out of somebody

Seriously, this would make me swoon. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Smad said:

To quote Rocket: Everybody's got dead people. That's no excuse to get everyone else dead along the way.

I think it's such an issue with Star-Lord because the scene took forever. The writers gave him all the time in the world. While there were 4 people who could have stopped Quill. Tony could have simply blasted him. Nebula or Drax could have knocked him out. Quill could have stopped himself and just go and punch or shoot a bolder to vent his anger and then take a shot at Thanos when the glove was off. The other multitude of screw ups in the movie were quick in comparison (except Thor) or sprinkled into different, small scenes.

Quill hitting Thanos was actually about 4 seconds, which Mantis to break connection, then Tony let go of Thanos' arm to try and restrain Quill. After that it was another 5 seconds before Thanos woke up.  Drax was still holding on to his legs, and I think Nebula was too sad about Gamora herself.