Type keyword(s) to search

Pose in the Media

biakbiak
  • Start Topic

I'm a few weeks late, but Janet Mock has officially confirmed she's dating Angel Bismark Curiel (who plays Papi) and she apparently left her husband for him.

“It began innocently enough,” Mock told Out. ”I had just wrapped an episode I was directing and he made me know he was attracted to me in a very jarring way, because I just wasn’t in the [romantic] headspace at all,” she said. ”A day later, at one of our first screenings, he asked, ‘Are you happy in your relationship?’ And I just answered, ‘Yeah,’ and then walked away. But it struck me.”

Ultimately, 23-year-old Curiel’s question forced Mock to face her dilemma. She filed for divorce in February.

I'm curious to know what "in a very jarring way" is code for, lol. And I would hope you wouldn't initially be in a romantic headspace, you were married to someone else - and only for three years! Don't get me wrong, I have a massive crush on Angel and wouldn't be able to resist his advances, but I do feel kind of bad for her husband, even if they are an impossibly gorgeous power couple. Between this and Orange is the New Black, hot actors waste no time in seducing writers away from their new spouses, haha.

Glad they're happy anyway!

• Love 4

So, the link to MJ Rodriguez Suddenly Semour song in the "Walking for another House" thread, led me to this from James Corden's late-night show from a few weeks ago.

This man rocks heels better than pretty much any CIS gender female I've ever seen . . . and I'm not 100% sure Kirsten Dunst was in on it, but she handled it well. . . 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

If you're looking for something to fill the Pose-shaped hole in your tv schedule, Legendary is a new show with eight houses battling for ballroom titles.

Dashaun Wesley, who plays Shadow Wintour, is the MC. Leiomy Maldonado, who is the choreographer for the ballroom scenes on Pose, is one of the judges.

The first episode is available for free on YouTube. We have a forum for Legendary here!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1

In honor of PRIDE, Billy Porter and Mj Rodriguez, along with the cast and producers of Pose, come together for a one-hour virtual event in partnership with GLSEN, Hetrick-Martin Institute, and Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund.

STARRING: Sandra Bernhard, Dyllon Burnside, Steven Canals, Angel Bismark Curiel, Our Lady J, Dominique Jackson, Patti LuPone, Jeremy McClain, Janet Mock, Indya Moore, Billy Porter, Mj Rodriguez, Jason Rodriguez, Angelica Ross, Hailie Sahar, Ryan Jamaal Swain, and Charlayne Woodard.

• Love 3

It's so sad that this show is another Covid-cancellation and all we get is a super-short 7 episode final season bound to be filled with abrupt time jumps instead of seeing the characters lives unfold through the years.  There was a lot of life left but having to halt production for a year and then try to figuire out how to do ballroom scenes with tons of extras during the pandemic clearly turned it into an expensive, uncertainty for the network.

• Love 6

There's a time and a place for everything and Ms. Mock knows that arena was not the place to air out TPTB or her relationship with Angel Bismark Curiel.   She has been interviewed by many publications leading up to the final season and if she wanted to take her justified salary complaints public, she should have did so in one of those interviews, versus starting the night of the premiere on the wrong foot. It was to be a night of celebration. Hell, it would have been slightly better if she said those things about the salary and writing at the after-party.  But there is no justification for making Angel stand up while she discussed their relationship.  Just all around wild. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

There's a time and a place for everything and Ms. Mock knows that arena was not the place to air out TPTB or her relationship with Angel Bismark Curiel.   She has been interviewed by many publications leading up to the final season and if she wanted to take her justified salary complaints public, she should have did so in one of those interviews, versus starting the night of the premiere on the wrong foot. It was to be a night of celebration. Hell, it would have been slightly better if she said those things about the salary and writing at the after-party.  But there is no justification for making Angel stand up while she discussed their relationship.  Just all around wild. 

ITA - this was a party to celebrate the show's final season. There was no need to bring up her relationship issues during a 15 minute speech, especially since he and the crew member she mentioned both work for the show. How do you think everyone else at the party felt having to listen to her talk about two of their coworkers like that? Yeesh.

• Love 3

Pose Showrunner Breaks Down Damon's Sudden Exit in the Season 3 Premiere

In July 2020, it was reported that Swain's sister Raven Lynette Swain was fatally shot in Birmingham, AL. Swain reflected on her death in an Instagram post in August 2020, writing, "it still feels surreal. but you haven't left, just moved from this plain. I'll see you soon." During a press conference for Pose season three, Canals hinted that Swain stepped back from the show following his sister's death, saying, "As one of our family members, we wanted to honor that and give him the space that he needed."

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/12/2021 at 1:29 PM, mtlchick said:

I was about to post this! I always watch House Hunters but I can’t wait for this. I hope she makes a “House of ...” joke.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Billy Porter has revealed he has been HIV positive since 2007.  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/billy-porter-hiv-positive-diagnosis-1234954742/

What an emotional ride this most recent episode must have been for him -- he was channeling his own "what if . . ." story. Thank the gods HIV is no longer an automatic death sentence. The world would be a lesser place without Billy Porter in it (and everyone else living -- key word: LIVING -- with this disease). 

• Love 5
On 5/2/2021 at 2:14 AM, AngieBee1 said:

There's a time and a place for everything and Ms. Mock knows that arena was not the place to air out TPTB or her relationship with Angel Bismark Curiel.

It's been a month (more or less), and has there been any fallout from this?  It seems like it blew up online for a day, and then, you know, nothing. (And please don't tell me to Google it -- Google results don't pull in everything, and I'm really only mildly curious.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Demian said:

It's been a month (more or less), and has there been any fallout from this?  It seems like it blew up online for a day, and then, you know, nothing.

No fallout that I know of.  

13 hours ago, Demian said:

It's been a month (more or less), and has there been any fallout from this?  It seems like it blew up online for a day, and then, you know, nothing. (And please don't tell me to Google it -- Google results don't pull in everything, and I'm really only mildly curious.)

I think Pose is still so under the radar that it didn't make any noise.  I only learned about it from here. 

• Love 2

And I don't think we'd really see any fallout.  Maybe if Angel Curiel breaks up with Janet?  But I haven't heard anything like that.  And Pose is over with so it's not like she'd be removed from producing duties. 

I think any fallout will be quiet.  She signed a production deal.  If none of those get made, that's where the consequences might show up. 

• Love 1
On 5/12/2021 at 1:29 PM, mtlchick said:

Dominique and her partner will appear on House Hunters June 1st.  

Not sure if we're talking about this here, or in the "other roles" thread, but I caught this last night and it was good fun. True to House Hunters form, they didn't pick the "nicest" house, but their choice wasn't too surprising given how insistent she was about wanting a pool.

Dominique's paranoia about having ground-floor windows where people might break in because of incidents in her past was sad, but her and her partner (both of whom had been homeless at various points) were genuinely happy to buy a big, beautiful house and move out of their tiny NYC apartment. Glad for them!

• Love 7
On 6/1/2021 at 8:24 PM, Demian said:

Can either @Demian or @AngieBee1 fill me in?

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Can either @Demian or @AngieBee1 fill me in?

Janet Mock who is one of the show's staff writers and occasional director gave a speech at the premiere party for the final season where she criticized the writers,  put F/X, Ryan Murphy and Co. on blast about how little she is paid,  had Angel Bismark Curiel who plays Papi stand up and she proceeded to tell the audience that she cheated on him but was going to fight for him and their relationship.  

Online she had support over how little pay she was receiving considering her job, but others criticized her for embarrassing Curiel. 

A writer for The Daily Beast was there and did a write-up but everyone was hoping someone recorded it. Surely someone did but just never posted it. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/janet-mock-demands-more-pay-for-pose-in-fiery-speech-at-premiere-you-have-stomped-on-us

18 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

Janet Mock who is one of the show's staff writers and occasional director gave a speech at the premiere party for the final season where she criticized the writers,  put F/X, Ryan Murphy and Co. on blast about how little she is paid,  had Angel Bismark Curiel who plays Papi stand up and she proceeded to tell the audience that she cheated on him but was going to fight for him and their relationship.  

Online she had support over how little pay she was receiving considering her job, but others criticized her for embarrassing Curiel. 

A writer for The Daily Beast was there and did a write-up but everyone was hoping someone recorded it. Surely someone did but just never posted it. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/janet-mock-demands-more-pay-for-pose-in-fiery-speech-at-premiere-you-have-stomped-on-us

WUT?? WOW. 

I wonder if Angel will take her back?

Pose has won three Creative Arts Emmy Awards:

1. Outstanding Contemporary Costumes (Analucia McGorty, Michelle Roy, Linda Giammarese)
  2. Outstanding Contemporary Hairstyling (Barry Lee Moe, Timothy Harvey, Greg Bazemore, Tene Wilder, Lisa Thomas, Rob Harmon)
  3. Outstanding Contemporary Makeup (Non-Prosthetic) (Sherri Berman Laurence, Nicky Pattison Illum, Charles Zambrano, Shaun Thomas Gibson, Jessica Padilla, Jennifer Suarez)
  • Love 2