Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Back to the Grind

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Jane and Weller sure got married fast, didn't they? It was a two-year time jump from the finale and she was gone 18 months. So within 6 months of when they really started dating they got engaged, married, and moved to Colorado and fixed up that house. 

I actually enjoyed the episode and like the reset button they've set. But everyone having a secret may get old if they drag it out.

• Love 1

On the next twenty or so Blindspot episodes, shocking secrets! Which team member will fail to keep their secret from the rest of the team?

Zapata and the CIA dude know about a dragonfly tattoo that is related to something shitty the CIA did. At this point everyone should be aware that the CIA in the Blindspot verse does terrible things all the time.

Jane is stashing money and passports in case she needs to run away again. Considering that there's a bad guy RIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR that doesn't seem like such a terrible precaution. But I suppose she doesn't want to trigger Weller with his abandonment issues. Seriously though, all the team members should have go bags and alternate identities and weapons and supplies stashed all over the world.

Patterson and Rich Dotcom are hate-fucking which could be amusing or annoying depending on where they go with it. It's not really angst worthy of the team though. At the end of the day who cares which team member is sleeping with whom?

Weller did something nasty in Berlin that he doesn't want Jane to know about and he's willing to do favors for Roman to keep his secret safe. I'm sure we'll get a flashback to Weller's time there and I hope the revelation is a decent one. If it's something like he had a side piece, again who cares? Jane took off on him, surely she didn't expect him to remain celibate on behalf of someone who might not be coming back?

In any case, not a terrible episode overall. The tank bit was fun and I liked seeing that Jane was more self-confident when she was in action. Weller's baby is cute.

The ex-armour officer in me would like to point out that it was not a tank but an MICV - Mechanized Infantry Combat Vehicle. A Russian BMP I believe.

But it was good to see the gang back together, regardless of how stupid I think it was to put more tattoos on Jane.

• Love 3

Was the stash of passports and cash Jane was hiding provided by the CIA? Keaton offered these to Jane early in the episode, then Weller objected before she gave her decision. 

If Roman held his sister captive for months, he could have kept her away from the assassins or get the fixer to remove the hit but due to having his revenge on Jane decided to give her new tattoos, release her, come up with a drug/antidote, and an elaborate scheme for Jane/Weller to get rid of the bounty. Can't mess with Jane this season with these assassins in the way.

2 hours ago, babs1226 said:

-Where is the baby?  She's crying in Colorado, then not a mention of her since.

With her mother. According to Weller, she's been working late shifts (wasn't she a US Marshal?) so that's why the baby sleeps at Weller's. She was seeing someone else, so I guess he can look after baby while mom's working.

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

If Roman held his sister captive for months, he could have kept her away from the assassins or get the fixer to remove the hit but due to having his revenge on Jane decided to give her new tattoos, release her, come up with a drug/antidote, and an elaborate scheme for Jane/Weller to get rid of the bounty. Can't mess with Jane this season with these assassins in the way.

God love this show with it's way overcomplicated plot points, double- and triple-crosses, and mysteries within mysteries. Makes little to no sense, but can be good escapism.

• Love 2

Good way to reset the show; even having Jane in a bag again. I was wondering what was up with the time jump and separation between Jane and Kurt in last season's finale. They did a good job of explaining it in a reasonable way. We knew they had gotten married last season, but we didn't know what happened to force Jane to travel to Kathmandu. Loved the way Jane unfurled from the bag on the table.  She's still a badass. Glad the team is back together and Rich Dotcom is still a Perv.  I cannot believe that he and Patterson were together. The two seem like they would have no chemistry. Her previous two boyfriends were nothing like Rich.  Roman is still a puzzle.  The dude is seriously screwed in the head, but I wish he was back on "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." and was a force for good. Hell, I wish he was still on "The Tomorrow People" and THAT show was still on. Peyton List needs to be on my TV screen, now!!!

• Love 3

I'm not sure which I was more amused by, the bad guys being all "Patterson's the one we bought, you two ain't special" to Reade and Zapata (even though I like them!), or Jane being all "Once I was finally away from you, I realized how much happier I am" to Weller. The latter seemed to get undercut by them having sex, but then Jane's face went from smiling to "ugh" as soon as Weller left the apartment. That grimace ended up making it feel like she slept with him more because with them being back at the FBI working together on the tattoos it's just easier to go along with the relationship he wants than break up and have to deal with his pouty whininess every day at work.

I like that Reade is the NYO director now. Maybe Weller will be a little more tolerable since he's not in a supervisory position anymore, if he can resist the temptation to get all alpha male with Reade and criticize how he runs the NYO. (I know in S1 he technically wasn't either, but he was the field leader of the team.) Still, I was hoping that when he left the apartment at the end he'd get shot and killed. I would respect this show so much if they would have the guts to dump him. Sullivan Stapleton is just so wooden in this role and the weakest link.

I love Rich Dotcom - though I do understand the concern that as a series regular he might be too much - and I can't wait to see whatever he has going on with Patterson. I don't think their secret is that they're fucking, though they probably have done the deed at some point. My guess is that they're up to something else, because I just don't believe that Patterson would be serious about making a permanent career change to making video games. I'm not slamming video games, I like them! It's just that her abilities are so far beyond that, and, even though her FBI career resulted in some significant negative impacts on her personally, still, it's hard to go from saving lives regularly to something with much lower stakes. Plus, if she and Dotcom have been meeting up regularly, that means she's not been in Silicon Valley working on video games like she claims since Dotcom is in NYC on work release. I think they've really been working on a different project.

Great season premiere.  If the whole season is some variation of Roman's Games and Puzzles, I'll be happy.  Show felt fresher.  I kind of like that there's new secrets.  Glad to see the team back together.  But I hope some of the tired old problems (Reade's sexual abuse, Tasha's gambling, etc) don't get revisited.  

That baby was Weller's ex-girlfriend's, right?  Did I hear right that her name was Bethany?  So the girlfriend named the baby after Weller's dead boss?  Or he got his say?

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

The latter seemed to get undercut by them having sex, but then Jane's face went from smiling to "ugh" as soon as Weller left the apartment. That grimace ended up making it feel like she slept with him more because with them being back at the FBI working together on the tattoos it's just easier to go along with the relationship he wants than break up and have to deal with his pouty whininess every day at work.

Did NOT get that feeling at all. I got the feeling that she loves Weller, but was just dreading the dangers to come and the pain they might bring. To me, it seemed that she was hoping that Weller would stay out of it and be safe.

• Love 4

If her lack of enthusiasm for resuming the marriage had been about her fear for his safety, I think she would've just said that to him instead of the reasons she gave about feeling completely subsumed by him and lacking purpose, since the former reason is less hurtful for a spouse to hear.

Admittedly I hate Weller, so Jane discovering that she feels freer away from him, something she's never had in her conscious memory aside from her time being imprisoned and tortured in a CIA black site, seems totally reasonable to me. Since the day she came out of the bag he's dominated her life, but with her past almost completely erased, it was a fish-in-water thing for her. I agree she loves him (even if why eludes me), but these 18 months she had on her own are the first she's had to just live for herself. Yes, she had to stay off the radar, but she was still more free than she'd ever been. She was at the mercy of the government from the time she came out of the bag and as soon as that was over she immediately married Weller. In that view, even if I liked Weller as a character I'd still understand her feeling ambivalent about going right back into the marriage.

Okay, now you presented a more reasoned viewpoint than one of disgust that she had sex with him just to shut his whininess up every day at work. That viewpoint I just cannot accept. There are some of us who are not suited for marriage and there are some of us who are. You can love someone with all of your heart but not want to enter into a  marriage for various reasons, Obviously, marriages are binding and some may not agree with the seeming restrictions. BOTH Jane and Weller seemed to be happy when they were living together; so much so that they BOTH contemplated having a child of their own. Real life intruded and forced her to reassess her life and she discovered that she missed certain aspects. She was honest with Kurt to let him know what she had realized but it was NOT that she didn't love him or love their life, but that she lacked a purpose. Don't we ALL sometimes feel that way?

Rich dot com is someone I can tolerate but only in small quantities.  Not sure if I will enjoy his "wit" for half the season.  

I did however laugh when he said "Backstreet's back, all right!"   It was so random and all of them acted like they didn't even get the reference.  

• Love 3

Ah, welcome back Blindspot! Missed you and your overly convoluted plots (and Roman since I'm shallow like that)! I hope you didn't blew too much of your on-location cash for those shots in Venice - though they were gorgeous! What this episode did right was that it had fun - that makes it so much easier to deal with all the crazy (like desecrating a church in Venice and then leave in a hero-walk).

Rich! Love how you embrace the trend for floral patterns - first time I checked WornOnTv for something a dude was wearing - alas, no entries. Just don't go full Gucci on us! Speaking of Rich and Patterson ('This has no flow!' he!): whatever is going on was set up last season though I can't remember the exact episode I know they had some intriguing dialogue on an undercover op (IRRC). I'm just glad I got Ennis Esmer back despite the cruel cancellation of 'Dark Matter'.

Of course everybody is hiding something! If they can keep up the fun they had with this episode it's going to be a great season.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1

OK, then.  So, basically everything really is reseted and now it's about deciphering these new fancy, ultralight purple tattoos that Jane has.  At least there isn't a huge mystery over who did it, since it seems like it was Roman because he wanted revenge, but instead of actually killing her or anything, he wants to toy with her or some shit.  Whatever, I guess.

But after a brief kidnapping and being sold to the Venezuelans, the gang is back together, but everyone pretty much has secrets, except Reade, who's now simply the new boss.  But Zapata is now CIA and already recognizes one of the tattoos and she and Keaton are keeping it to themselves, Patterson might actually be in a relationship with Rich Dotcom (?!), Jane is hiding money and passports from Weller, while Weller apparently is keeping a secret that is so big, that Roman is able to hold it over him.  Oh, Blindspot!

I do want to thank the show for deciding to have the escape from Venezuela in the middle of the rain storm, which lead to a soaking wet Audrey Esparza doing her best not to have anything fall out that would be just a wee bit risque for an 8 p.m. show on NBC.  Meanwhile, Jaimie Alexander had to go back to being half-naked to show off more of the tattoos, so I'm sure it will be back to "Jane in turtlenecks and long sleeves" for the new few episodes to counteract the time and energy it no doubt takes to paint those suckers on.

Lets see if this will stick, but a three season show already going through three different time slots is kind of troubling.

Enjoyed the premiere! It was a bit frantic, but I guess it is to be expected with this show.

I enjoyed the quick recap about the wedding and the move and how they got to where Jane had left. 

Loved how Jane got out of the bag. She is a bad ass! 

The "we bought Patterson, you guys are expandable" bit cracked me up!

Love me some Rich Dot Com - I enjoy that actor immensely - so I look forward to what he will bring. Him and Patterson? So intriguing!

What did Weller do in Berlin? What secret does Zapata and CIA guy have? 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:54 PM, KaveDweller said:

Jane and Weller sure got married fast, didn't they? It was a two-year time jump from the finale and she was gone 18 months. So within 6 months of when they really started dating they got engaged, married, and moved to Colorado and fixed up that house. 

I actually enjoyed the episode and like the reset button they've set. But everyone having a secret may get old if they drag it out.

That's the math I came up with too and I was a bit surprised by the swiftness of it all.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, Jacks-Son said:

I cannot believe that he and Patterson were together. The two seem like they would have no chemistry. Her previous two boyfriends were nothing like Rich.

If they're sleeping together, I'm sure that's the appeal for Patterson.  She doesn't want to get attached.  But, I like the theory by Black Knight that the conversation was a misdirect and they're actually working on something together.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, Black Knight said:

Jane being all "Once I was finally away from you, I realized how much happier I am" to Weller. The latter seemed to get undercut by them having sex, but then Jane's face went from smiling to "ugh" as soon as Weller left the apartment. That grimace ended up making it feel like she slept with him more because with them being back at the FBI working together on the tattoos it's just easier to go along with the relationship he wants than break up and have to deal with his pouty whininess every day at work.

I liked your whole post EXCEPT for what's quoted above. Jane didn't say she was happier without Weller.  She said that she had lost herself, which is easy to do in relationships.  She wasn't doing something fulfilling specifically for herself.  To me, that meant if she is back with the FBI that she would feel she has a purpose AND she'd be happy in her marriage.  Right now it's all about protecting Weller, so any grimaces or whatever people are seeing, to me, shows her concern FOR Weller, not that she wants away from him. She straight out said she loved him too much to let him run away with her and leave his daughter behind.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:33 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Did NOT get that feeling at all. I got the feeling that she loves Weller, but was just dreading the dangers to come and the pain they might bring. To me, it seemed that she was hoping that Weller would stay out of it and be safe.

I agree with you.  

18 months later...same beard...Everyone on the "dark web" should know what Weller looks like...he was offered for sale before??? How did nobody at the bag exchange recognize him since he NEVER changes his appearance at all....

• Love 1

I love this show, as crazy and bad as it is most of the time. I was so bummed looking at the ratings last season, I really thought the show would be cancelled. Even though I'd love 5 more seasons, I'm glad that at least we got one more.

It came off to me as if Patterson was doing something illegal, so I hope I'm wrong. Illegal to right a wrong is fine, but not illegal as in working against America !  That just wouldn't fit her character, IMO.

Stapleton seems like he could be a good actor, but he's really not on this show, again IMO.

On 10/28/2017 at 5:17 PM, Jacks-Son said:

Roman is still a puzzle.  The dude is seriously screwed in the head, but I wish he was back on "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." and was a force for good. Hell, I wish he was still on "The Tomorrow People" and THAT show was still on. Peyton List needs to be on my TV screen, now!!!

You and I make two people I know that liked The Tomorrow People. Go us! Woo! I liked Roman as Lincoln on AoS but he’s kind of fun as a crazy pants. 

I don’t take this show too seriously so I’m okay with a lots of goofy nonsense. Every single person having a big dark secret was eyeroll worthy, but eh, it’s Blindspot. The new super special tattoos with even more complexity made me laugh. Black light activated, biometric, glow in the dark, alien language tattoos hand drawn by elves and fairies under threat of dark magic.  Or something like that... lol.

I had this mental image of Raymond Reddington watching this episode, and thinking to himself "Aha! I have just discovered the perfect way to transfer money secretly across the globe.  As soon as I can find Roman to do some of those biolescence (sp?) tattoos, I can send my courier anywhere without suspicion.  All my counterpart needs is the key to hold up to the courier's neck and there is all the information they need."

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ramble said:

You and I make two people I know that liked The Tomorrow People. Go us! Woo! I liked Roman as Lincoln on AoS but he’s kind of fun as a crazy pants. 

I don’t take this show too seriously so I’m okay with a lots of goofy nonsense. Every single person having a big dark secret was eyeroll worthy, but eh, it’s Blindspot.

Lincoln on AoS was sort of a puppy dog (that bites) and he would have followed Daisy anywhere.  I'm just glad Blindspot managed to reignite a new storyline that was coherent and interesting.

5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I had this mental image of Raymond Reddington watching this episode, and thinking to himself "Aha! I have just discovered the perfect way to transfer money secretly across the globe.  As soon as I can find Roman to do some of those biolescence (sp?) tattoos, I can send my courier anywhere without suspicion.  All my counterpart needs is the key to hold up to the courier's neck and there is all the information they need."

Ahh, Red would actually do something like that and pontificate about it with a nice prose. I need to catch up on that show. I have been remiss and did not watch last season's finale, "Mrs. Kaplan", but I did sign up for the Amazon Season Pass for last season and I did so for this season also. I WILL catch up.