Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E00: All Stars Exclusive Queen Ruveal

• Start Topic

RuPaul announces the highly anticipated Queens who will be competing for the crown in All Stars 3. With never before seen footage and exclusive interviews.

Your season 3 All Stars queens are:

• BenDeLaCreme (season 6)
  • Trixie Mattel (season 7)
  • Milk (season 6)
  • Thorgy Thor (season 8)
  • Kennedy Davenport (season 7)
  • Aja (season 9)
  • Chi Chi DeVayne (season 8)
  • Morgan McMichaels (season 2)
  • Shangela (seasons 2 and 3)

http://www.vh1.com/news/331067/rupauls-drag-race-all-stars-3-cast/

Except for Chi Chi and Kennedy, these queens ranked pretty low in their original seasons.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Except for Chi Chi and Kennedy, these queens ranked pretty low in their original seasons.

Shangela was eliminated first in season 2. Morgan was eliminated 5th. Shangela was eliminated 8th in season 3. BenDeLaCreme came in 5th place during season 6. Milk came in 9th place during the same season. Trixie Mattel came in 6th during season 7; Kennedy Davenport was 4th place. Chi Chi DeVayne came in 4th on season 8, while Thorgy Thor took 6th place. Aja was 9th place on Season 9.

Some of them, I expected like Thorgy, Kennedy, Aja, and Chi Chi. I'm not surprised by BenDeLa, Trixie, or Milk. Morgan is a deep cut, but like Tatianna, not unwelcome. Then there is...sigh...ugh...Shangela. Perhaps this will be the nail in the coffin and she'll stop turning up like a bad penny.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Has Latrice Royals been on past All Stars?  She is forever my favorite.  And I do enjoy Shangela.  I kind of have,a girl crush on her...

She was on the first All Stars, and was paired with Manila.  They went home too early.

• Love 1

I like Shangela. I remember she excelled in the comedy challenge in season 3 as a "post-modern pimp ho." Shangela is a great actress and very funny. She was just extremely unpolished in season 2 as she hadn't been doing drag but a few months.

I like the great mix of classic queens and total weirdos. This will be fun. Morgan might be a dark horse, she works all the time and has no doubt been preparing for this.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

General speculation is that they're going for a "queens the fandom thought were robbed" theme for the season. I guess that makes sense for BenDeLa and Trixie, even Thorgy and Kennedy. . . but Milk? Aja? And who was less "robbed" than Shangela, with her multiple chances? The producers must have some idea for what they want the narrative of the season to be, but it's hard for me to spot, just looking at these names.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Stowaway said:

General speculation is that they're going for a "queens the fandom thought were robbed" theme for the season. I guess that makes sense for BenDeLa and Trixie, even Thorgy and Kennedy. . . but Milk? Aja? And who was less "robbed" than Shangela, with her multiple chances? The producers must have some idea for what they want the narrative of the season to be, but it's hard for me to spot, just looking at these names.

I can kind of see the theme of queens who could have gone further even with Milk and Aja. However, Milk didn't go any further because she refused to compromise and repeatedly failed to adhere challenge parameters. Also her Julia Child was terrible. I think Aja probably deserves a Shangela style do-over. It's clear that she has talent, but she needed the show to shine a light on all of her clear weaknesses. I don't think she would have figured it out on her own or without the show. Hopefully, 3 strikes means Shangela is out.

• Love 1

They picked the wrong House of Edwards girl, and me of a couple years ago can't believe I'm saying this -- but bring back Laganja! She's had some amazing looks post-show, and seemed to figure her general obnoxiousness out. Shangela...I have a feeling I'm going to drink after every "haleloo!" not as a drinking game but as a coping skill.

I'm glad there's a few LSFYL all-timers in the mix, and also that they didn't bring back an aesthetic heavy but light on performance queen like Fame or Pearl, but they're kinda lacking in diversity, no?

Queens I'd want to see who would also fill a category that they missed:

Latina queens: Jessica Wild

Big girls: Darienne Lake, Delta Work, Stacy Layne Matthews

Asian queens: Ongina, Kim Chi

It's a little more varied field than AS2, where it was basically S5: The Shequel, and also hella white, but still...it feels like they used to cast the seasons a bit more widely than they have in the past couple years, and it bums me out.

• Love 6

This why they shouldn't go to the All-Stars well too often; it starts to dry up if you don't let enough seasons pass in the meantime.

[Project Runway is a case in point]

I'm looking forwarding to seeing Chi Chi with a little cash to back her up, and Ben DeLaCreme will always be welcome if she has another classic Snatch Game character in her. The others? Meh

Where's that adorable dark horse Joslyn Fox?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

This why they shouldn't go to the All-Stars well too often; it starts to dry up if you don't let enough seasons pass in the meantime.

They really should have opened up the AS1 girls this time around, but if/when there's an AS4 they really, really should. I'd much rather see Yara Sofia and Jujubee come back rather than Farrah Moan and Derrick Barry. 

Also, I think it'd be great to see some of the queens who came out as trans after their seasons come back -- we haven't seen that yet. I'd love to see Sonique again!

• Love 1

I was really hoping for Ongina (S1) for this season. She seemed poised for a return, now I'm left disappointed.

Since AJA is there, it won't seem much of a surprise if Valentina is the shock 10th All Star.

I could do without Kennedy and Thorgy, but am a fan of the rest. Obviously, Trixie is the front runner, but I think she'll be a shock upset in the final.

When they only showed Morgan by the legs, my heart skipped a beat thinking it could have been Willam. I want Morgan to get another shot, but that was a cruel comedown moment.

Low key want MILK to win!

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

They really should have opened up the AS1 girls this time around, but if/when there's an AS4 they really, really should. I'd much rather see Yara Sofia and Jujubee come back rather than Farrah Moan and Derrick Barry. 

Also, I think it'd be great to see some of the queens who came out as trans after their seasons come back -- we haven't seen that yet. I'd love to see Sonique again!

I'd like to see Manilla and Latrice get a proper shot at the All Star title. Why not bring former AS contestants back? They're making up the rules as they go along anyway. My personal take is that I'm delighted to have Drag Race twice a year, but they should alternate "All Stars" with some other gimmick -- like an all early-outs season, or an all comedy/fashion/music/dance season. That way they don't dry up the all-star well too quickly.

Obviously, Trixie is the front runner, but I think she'll be a shock upset in the final.

Trixie has a large fanbase and does well on YouTube, but I don't think she performed that well on the show. She also always overestimated her own performance, which didn't help her adjust. Also, this is petty, but I still judge her hard for her horrible Anne Frank in her audition video. 

I'm excited about the return of Morgan McMichaels. Assuming she's doing a similar aesthetic to her time on the show, she's a very different and interesting queen.

I also have high expectations for Chi Chi. Chi Chi's main issues were money related.

I like the cast and it seemed to contain most of the wants on fan wish lists.

If I could, I would swap out Change with someone else just for the fact Change was already a season double dipper...  and the same should go for Cucu and Eureka, if Eureka's for sure back next season for future AS's...  the only queens that deserve another shot are some of the AS 1 girls if they were going to double dip (or triple dip)...

One-hundred percent behind Kennedy, and the rumored mystery queen, if the rumors are true.

So far what I love about the cast, and while Trixie's the obvious frontrunner, this cast doesn't seem like a cast they'll just wait to burn off until they hand Trixie a crown, like with Chad and Alaska.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
On 10/21/2017 at 6:46 PM, Mayberry said:

I want to see Chi Chi at this stage in her career, with some fame and success.

I'm really excited for that, too. 

I love Trixie and I agree that she'll probably be set up for the win, but honestly nobody in this group is on the level of Chad or Alaska in my mind. The only one I could see rising to that level from recent years is maybe Courtney.

• Love 2

I'm unfamiliar with Milk, so I thought for a second that she was actually that big and thus was shocked!

Looking forward to the season, though I'm hoping this will be Shangela's final appearance.

Edited by Ciarrai
  • Love 1

I am so into this.

It's totally a greatest hits for me because I freaking love Milk and Trixie and Ben and Chi Chi and Thorgy. Kennedy was not my favorite but her Little Richard was so epic I'm curious as to what she might do if they do another snatch game. And I am here for ANYTHING that has Chi Chi and Kennedy dancing with or against each other. My house may explode. And I want to see Milk do all of her crazy, so far out of the box they come from space looks. I love her. Even now I know other queens will be looking at her going 'Whaaaaat?' but I love her looks and she's improved.

And Trixie? It's kind of hilarious to see her on Season 7 because her makeup is downright tame to how she does it now. Oh honey, you don't even know how tame, honey. Painting for the check cashing place down the street, honey? You mean painting for the check cashing place across the country, honey. Oh-hon-eeeeee!

Viewing parties at my house! I've already got the wine and the lighting! (Yes, I have a RuPaul setting on my Hue lights. I'm that girl.)

• Love 4
On 10/21/2017 at 6:24 PM, HunterHunted said:

I can kind of see the theme of queens who could have gone further even with Milk and Aja. However, Milk didn't go any further because she refused to compromise and repeatedly failed to adhere challenge parameters.

I'm trying to remember - when did Milk fail to adhere to challenge parameters?

I remember her doing the workroom version of Ru, but the judges seemed to like that.

37 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I'm trying to remember - when did Milk fail to adhere to challenge parameters?

I remember her doing the workroom version of Ru, but the judges seemed to like that.

The judges were not really into workroom Ru.

Michelle hated Milk's Party Box drag and the facial hair.

The Tony award look in episode 4 wasn't a favorite either. Milk did a pregnant look, which the judges weren't fans of. Basically the judges never liked that Milk always put a weird spin on every runway look instead of just giving them a single pretty look just once.

• Love 1

Milk and Vivacious were both really conceptual Club Kid performers and it was frustrating for me to have them get read for bringing their very clear aesthetic to the show and not just going for 'pretty' every time. Milk's 'Workroom Ru' was fucking ballsy and I loved it but they played up the face crack shit with the judges like crazy. What's more, Milk did the whole facial hair thing on her first look and then the very next season they had a specific bearded challenge! Milk's always going to go for the bizarre slant, that's just who she is. And that hasn't changed. I always kind of laugh when they have 'arty' queens on because they still tend to go with the 'acceptable' aesthetic. Meanwhile, Milk is full on Dadaism. She's painting her face like pointillism, or doing full on deconstruction. Milk could already do her face in a more 'traditional' pretty style but it was clearly boring as fuck to her and, man, since her tenure on the show she's gone even further with how she paints.

But how is that going to translate? I mean, Trixie paints in this broad style but it's evolution is still very recognizable and she doesn't stray too far from it. Milk is very out there so how's that going to work? It didn't work so well the last time because the show has a tendency to bring these queens in and then put them into a box. Sharon Needles had the rep for 'spooky' looks but kept switching it up because she knew what she was going to get clocked for it, meanwhile, queens who don't do 'out there' looks rarely get called out for that. Max got clocked repeatedly for her signature grey hair but Pearl never got any shit for always wearing a blonde wig (and I liked Pearl.) Michelle would be all 'You know exactly what you're going to get with her every time... a grey wig and a dot on her face.'  Well, you know what you're going to get from RuPaul every time. A gown and a big blonde wig.

It's the same complaint I've had for awhile with the judging being so arbitrary. Chad was 'too perfect' -- whatever the fuck that meant. Courtney Act 'rested on pretty' despite some truly astounding looks. (To be fair, Courtney did very well but was up against extremely powerful personalities like Bianca and Adore. But it still felt like a stupid critique.) Ben dela Creme was 'too costumey' which is something that completely flummoxes me... it's a fucking DRAG competition. It's ALL costume!

I think Milk is fabulous because she thinks so far outside of the box but you know Michelle is going to have perpetual stink face on if Milk is doing anything put 'standard pretty face.' Can you imagine Michelle's face when Milk comes out in one of her deconstruction looks? They aren't 'pretty' but they are so very well done. It's just weird to me that they'll find these more avant performers and then be all 'we brought you here because we think you're fabulous... now, be like everyone else.' Whaaaat?

• Love 6

I notice Michelle is always asking queens to "push themselves" to do something off-brand, but only if they're not pageant glamour girls. Clearly she doesn't understand Milk's or Adore's drag and doesn't even want to TRY. I think RuPaul is much more open-minded about such things, thankfully, but Michelle's critiques are often just totally ridiculous.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I notice Michelle is always asking queens to "push themselves" to do something off-brand, but only if they're not pageant glamour girls. Clearly she doesn't understand Milk's or Adore's drag and doesn't even want to TRY. I think RuPaul is much more open-minded about such things, thankfully, but Michelle's critiques are often just totally ridiculous.

I got really ticked off at Michelle for reading Chi Chi as well. Chi Chi made no bones about being a cheap queen and really having to make do and it drove me up the wall when Michelle lectured her about her clothes and was all 'no excuses!' at her. I'm sitting there going 'It's not like she can go out and buy a new outfit, Michelle! They're under fucking quarantine!' I was always impressed with what Chi Chi was able to scrounge up for outfits. Yeah, some of them DID look really cheap but that bitch had declared bankruptcy to do her drag and get on the show. A lot of Michelle's critiques to Chi Chi stank of privilege to me. Plus, Chi Chi cobbled together a Madonna look out of fucking cardboard and duct tape so she would NOT be Kimono #7 on that runway so major props for that.

And you're right... she rarely, if ever, read a pageant queen for being pageant. Chad wasn't exactly pageant but the 'too perfect' ad nauseum was the closest we ever got. I felt that was bullshit because Chad was just so good and given that we got to see her in the workroom... I never wondered 'gee, who IS Chad, really?' Chad had interesting takes, too. I will forever love her Florence and the Machine inspired drag. She didn't go down the all too common route queens take of Gaga/Beyonce/Britney with that.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 5
Just now, Dandesun said:

I got really ticked off at Michelle for reading Chi Chi as well. Chi Chi made no bones about being a cheap queen and really having to make do and it drove me up the wall when Michelle lectured her about her clothes and was all 'no excuses!' at her. I'm sitting there going 'It's not like she can go out and buy a new outfit, Michelle! They're under fucking quarantine!' I was always impressed with what Chi Chi was able to scrounge up for outfits. Yeah, some of them DID look really cheap but that bitch had declared bankruptcy to do her drag and get on the show.

OMG so true. "No excuses," Michelle? "I HAVE NO MONEY" is the best excuse in the world for not having a closet full of fucking designer gowns. Michelle also seems to care far more about the looks than about the performance in the challenge, or whether a queen has C.U.N.T.

• Love 2

I saw Thorgy Thor perform last April and she was still helllla bitter, dishing that her offing was engineered and the production changed the song for the LFYL to "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" after she landed in the bottom against Chi Chi.  That said, I'm not surprised she said yes to coming back because she wanted to win SO badly.

Last month I went to the Werq the World Tour and I was really excited for Shangela's number because it was the perfect time for me to go take a pee break.

On 11/27/2017 at 6:59 PM, apollonia666 said:

I saw Thorgy Thor perform last April and she was still helllla bitter, dishing that her offing was engineered and the production changed the song for the LFYL to "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" after she landed in the bottom against Chi Chi.  That said, I'm not surprised she said yes to coming back because she wanted to win SO badly.

Last month I went to the Werq the World Tour and I was really excited for Shangela's number because it was the perfect time for me to go take a pee break.

Didn't Thorgy slap Bob after Bob won?

http://www.newnownext.com/bob-the-drag-queen-brunch-with-tiffany/06/2017/

I don't want to say that Thorgy needs to get over the bitterness, but there has always been a bit of manipulation with competitive reality shows. There was absolutely no way that Natural Woman was coincidentally chosen when Latrice was in the bottom. I had always thought that the queens were told to prepare for up to 3 different songs each week, which would allow the producers greater latitude to ensure that the lipsync would be interesting. And as badly as Thorgy wanted it, "And I am telling you" does not play to Chi Chi's strengths, which is dancing. Flips, tumbles, and kicks would have only hurt Chi Chi's performance. If anything, changing the song could have worked in Thorgy's favor. This could have played out like Natural Woman with the high energy dancer going home. I'd be curious to find out the original song was because I suspect this wasn't quite the set up that Thorgy thinks it was.

• Love 1
On 10/22/2017 at 10:49 AM, Amello said:

I was really hoping for Ongina (S1) for this season. She seemed poised for a return, now I'm left disappointed.

Ongina is one of my all time favorite contestants so I'm still holding out hope that she's the tenth queen this season!