Type keyword(s) to search

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

So were those rumours of recasting Han nothing more than that, then? I haven't really been following this movie's progress. I am looking forward to Donald Glover as Lando, and Emilia Clarke hopefully playing a villain, or at least femme fatale.

2 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

The Falcon looks so CLEAN. Wow.

I wasn't sure it was the Falcon at first. I knew the shape of the hallway, but it was too white!

Edited by Joe

He did sorta grunt at the end, didn't he?  

But honestly, with that shot of Lando... I'm in.  Between him and Chewie, I think they will steal the the whole thing anyway, and I'm okay with that.  As well as getting to see a bright, shiny Millennium Falcon. 

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

He said he wanted the "best pilot in the galaxy". Although as Brandon Bird pointed out on Twitter Han never boasted about being a "great pilot" in the OT, he boasted about having the "fastest ship".

As you get older what you say about yourself changes. Also, in the OT he was trying to sell them on the idea he could get them from point A to point B as fast as possible, because he suspects they're in trouble and want to make a quick getaway. 

• Love 5

Ugh, I was really hoping that Emila Clarke's character would end up being the villain to break the Star Wars stereotype of the only female heroes in the galaxy are petite white brunettes with attitude (maybe they'll still surprise me, *fingers crossed*)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Ugh, I was really hoping that Emila Clarke's character would end up being the villain to break the Star Wars stereotype of the only female heroes in the galaxy are petite white brunettes with attitude (maybe they'll still surprise me, *fingers crossed*)

Me too. The idea of her playing a villain, or at least selfish femme fatale, really intrigued me. Both in terms of adding a new element to the Star Wars universe (and Han seems like a guy who would have fallen for bad news women in his youth) and in terms of Clarke stretching herself a little more as an actor. I'm still not sure if she's actually any good or not.

And I really don't know that this movie will be any good either. From the start, I always felt it was an unnecessary exploration of a character who didn't need to be explored.

• Love 4

I really like when he asks, "What's that?" He smiles, trying to be dismissive, but it's clearly not genuine. Just the right thing for that moment.

Also, Woody Harrelson's ship looks like the one from Homeworld. There's something similar in EVE Online. Stood out to me, because I've only seen one vertical ship in SW before, a Mando ship in TCW.

But that music. I hope it's just trailer music, because I really don't like it.

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Me too. The idea of her playing a villain, or at least selfish femme fatale, really intrigued me. Both in terms of adding a new element to the Star Wars universe (and Han seems like a guy who would have fallen for bad news women in his youth) and in terms of Clarke stretching herself a little more as an actor. I'm still not sure if she's actually any good or not.

I was hoping for that too, buy she could still double-cross him later.

The trailer does confirm my suspicions that the movie be what Roger Ebert called the "Tom Cruise picture" in his Days of Thunder review but without Tom Cruise!

"Days of Thunder" is an entertaining example of what we might as well call the Tom Cruise Picture, since it assembles most of the same elements that worked in "Top Gun," "The Color Of Money" and "Cocktail" and runs them through the formula once again. Parts of the plot are beginning to wear out their welcome, but the key ingredients are still effective. They include:

1. The Cruise character, invariably a young and naive but naturally talented kid who could be the best, if ever he could tame his rambunctious spirit.

2. The Mentor, an older man who has done it himself and has been there before and knows talent when he sees it, and who has faith in the kid even when the kid screws up because his free spirit has gotten the best of him.

3. The Superior Woman, usually older, taller and more mature than the Cruise character, who functions as a Mentor for his spirit, while the male Mentor supervises his craft.

4. The Craft, which the gifted young man must master.

5. The Arena, in which the young man is tested.

6. The Arcana, consisting of the specialized knowledge and lore that the movie knows all about, and we get to learn.

7. The Trail, a journey to visit the principal places where the masters of the craft test one another.

8. The Proto-Enemy, the bad guy in the opening reels of the movie, who provides the hero with an opponent to practice on. At first the Cruise character and the Proto-Enemy dislike each other, but eventually through a baptism of fire they learn to love one another.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Han looks like cosplay gone...decent but Lando doesn't look like that at all, he looks fantastic. Why is that? Is it because I'm used to Han Solo cosplay or does that guy just look like he's playing dress up?

I think because Han's type, the swaggering space cowboy is one we've now seen like in Firefly or Guardians of the Galaxy while Lando's was more unique. "Space Pimp"(and I only mean "pimp" in terms of clothes and attitude) is something we haven't seen much before.

I will say I do want to see Han interacting with a woman not Leia, because their relationship was mostly bickering until it got mushy in Return of the Jedi. Rey doesn't count because he was old by that point and was more a father-figure to her. Hopefully the relationship with "Qi-ra" is not going to be a copy of Leia and  Han won't be as antagonistic.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, WritinMan said:

How do you know? Have you seen it?

I've read enough about how troubled the production was, with people specifically zeroed on Alden Ehrenreich's performance, and heard enough rumors on other movie forums about how Lucasfilm may just be considering the movie as a lost cause, to get my hopes up to much.  The full trailer is...I don't know, uninspiring, perhaps.

If we're going to the the Star Wars version of Guardians of the Galaxy (turns out, we've just been hearing "I am Chewbacca!" roared over and over again), I was hoping it would be colorful.  That's just...I mean, it looks competently filmed because Ron Howard is a competent, if uninspired, director.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not feeling very optimistic.

• Love 4

Welp, I think Han's character was always more about Harrison Ford's innate charisma for me.  But regardless, I am interested in the world-building and the other characters, although Woody Harrelson has never been a favorite of mine either.  At this point at least, it doesn't look any worse than the prequels.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 1

I'll keep an open mind and I'm certainly going to see it no matter what, but right now, I'm not feeling it too much.  I enjoyed the actor enough in Hail, Ceasar (honestly, he was one of the few things I liked about that film), but I'm just not getting drawn to his Han like I automatically was with Harrison Ford.  I know it's not really fair to compare, but that's where I'm at.

And, yeah, disappointed that Emilia Clarke seems to be just playing a sidekick/possible love interest.  With Game of Thrones getting ready to end, it wouldn't hurt to try new things, and I was hoping she might stretch a bit and play a more villainous character.

Also, not enough Donald Glover in the trailer.

• Love 1

I'm hoping it'll be like the Star Trek reboot in 2009. William Shatner's James T. Kirk is so iconic and memorable yet even though I thought Chris Pine even though he looked and sounded nothing like Shatner, was a great young Kirk.

8 hours ago, starri said:

I've read enough about how troubled the production was, with people specifically zeroed on Alden Ehrenreich's performance, and heard enough rumors on other movie forums about how Lucasfilm may just be considering the movie as a lost cause, to get my hopes up to much.  The full trailer is...I don't know, uninspiring, perhaps.

All the problems I've heard seemed to be Miller and Lord's interpretation of Lawrence Kasdan's script(which as far as I know hasn't had any extensive rewrites). That the tone of the film and how they directed Ehrenreich was what worried Disney. 

All the problems I've heard seemed to be Miller and Lord's interpretation of Lawrence Kasdan's script(which as far as I know hasn't had any extensive rewrites).

And to be honest, based on the trailers so far, the dialogue is weak with no discernible plot. I know trailer cuts can be a mess, but are there no better lines than "I'm going to be the best pilot!" and "I know who you are [smug off.]" I know Lawrence Kasdan is well regarded for his contributions to Empire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Force Awakens, but the script, so far, seems to be a factor in this movie looking not great (especially if Ron Howard basically reshot the entire film.)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, absnow54 said:

And to be honest, based on the trailers so far, the dialogue is weak with no discernible plot. I know trailer cuts can be a mess, but are there no better lines than "I'm going to be the best pilot!" and "I know who you are [smug off.]" I know Lawrence Kasdan is well regarded for his contributions to Empire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Force Awakens, but the script, so far, seems to be a factor in this movie looking not great (especially if Ron Howard basically reshot the entire film.)

See the interesting thing to me is after Emilia says "I know who you are." and Han "Yeah what's that?" and has that big confident grin but then you see that bravado start to crack and you see him look worried.

I love this tweet:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

Welp, I think Han's character was always more about Harrison Ford's innate charisma for me.  But regardless, I am interested in the world-building and the other characters, although Woody Harrelson has never been a favorite of mine either.  At this point at least, it doesn't look any worse than the prequels.  

I would argue this was the appeal of his character for everyone. That's why I always thought it was a strange idea to do a young Han Solo movie- what you're trying to recapture is really early Harrison Ford's movie star charisma and personality. Because Star Wars fans are so obsessed they conflate him with the character itself, but it really wasn't that.

The rogue is an old archetype- It was Ford's own attitude and style that made him what he was. You can't imitate someone else's essence.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 15

Having watched the trailer, it doesn't look bad on a visual standpoint and I'm very glad that they seem to be keeping some of Han's more interesting EU backstory.  But Alden Ehrenreich already looks like he's going to be a poor choice.  It's unfair to judge by only a small handful of clips but his delivery was cringe-worthy and he looks more like Jack Nicholson from The Shining then he does Harrison Ford.  He looks like a child wearing daddy's clothes and trying to act like a big boy.  

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, absnow54 said:

I've watched every episodes of Game of Thrones.  I like Emilia isn't even one of the 10 best actresses on the show, let alone actors.  It's a disgrace that she and Kit Harrington have both received Emmy nominations (with Emilia having inexplicably received multiple nods) while Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, a far superior actor than both, hasn't received any.  Having an actress as weak as her as your main villain would be another strike against this film.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, benteen said:

Having watched the trailer, it doesn't look bad on a visual standpoint and I'm very glad that they seem to be keeping some of Han's more interesting EU backstory.  But Alden Ehrenreich already looks like he's going to be a poor choice.  It's unfair to judge by only a small handful of clips but his delivery was cringe-worthy and he looks more like Jack Nicholson from The Shining then he does Harrison Ford.  He looks like a child wearing daddy's clothes and trying to act like a big boy.  

I've watched every episodes of Game of Thrones.  I like her Emilia isn't even one of the 10 best actresses on the show, let alone actors.  It's a disgrace that she and Kit Harrington have both received Emmy nominations (with Emilia having inexplicably received multiple nods) while Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, a far superior actor than both, hasn't received any.  Having an actress as weak as her as your main villain would be another strike against this film.

I’m so in agreement with the first paragraph! Visually this movie looks stunning but my god, the main character makes Hayden Christensen look good! He looks nothing remotely like Harrison Ford, the lines sounded awful, I’m scared lol.

here’s to hoping this is a rouse and it turns out to be good like rouge one was, but the summer release makes me go hmmmm

But in regards to your second paragraph, I too have watched (and own) every single episode of game of thrones and Emilia Clarke I do think is in the top 10 of actors and actresses combined, I’m behind her getting the Emmy noms more than kit Harrington but I agree that NCW should be nominated as well.

the one who looks same old same old is woody!

5 hours ago, snickers said:

here’s to hoping this is a rouse and it turns out to be good like rouge one was, but the summer release makes me go hmmmm

May 25 is traditional for SW. That's when all the Lucas movies were released. It was only because JJ insisted on December that the new three have been then. Disney is trying to move SW back to its original release date. Or if you mean you think it's rushed over the director change, we'll see. I'm optimistic.

1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

Well, they refer to Clarke's character as a femme fatale there, and "essentially she is just fighting to stay alive" could be a rationalisation she uses for being duplicitous and screwing over Han. But I still think she'll end up as the bad girl with a heart of gold, which is pretty boring by now.

Also, I just do not see Han Solo when I look at these pictures. Even when he's standing next to Chewie, he doesn't make me think of Han. I'm pretty much pinning all my hopes on Donald Glover's Lando.

• Love 2

She’s got a more idiosyncratic personality than your typical droids. She’s more human — which probably means more emotional and slightly less rigid.

Gosh, a droid with a quirky personality. What a stunningly original idea. Never seen that before. Okay, sarcasm aside, at this point I'd be interested to see a droid that actually shut up and got on with its job for once.

• Love 1

I didn't think we needed Rogue One when it was announced, but the trailer peaked my interest and I saw it in the cinema and I was happy I did. The trailer for Last Jedi left me cold and not super keen to see it in the cinemas but I did as I have seen all entries in the cinema but I walked out thinking I shouldn't have trusted my instinct as I wa as disappointed in Last Jedi as I was with its trailer. When they announced Solo, my first thought was why? Why must Hollywood feel the need to explore every damn characters back story in a movie. So my interest in this was low. Now I don't know whether its because I don't think Han Solo is an amazing character in Star Wars like many others feel but that trailer was a hot pile of mess and I honestly cannot muster up enthusiasm to see it on DVD let alone in the cinema. Something is gonna have to change to make me care about this movie, I just don't see the purpose of it and I don't think anyone involved in this movie knows the purpose of it except for the money.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:15 PM, Bill1978 said:

Now I don't know whether its because I don't think Han Solo is an amazing character in Star Wars like many others feel but that trailer was a hot pile of mess and I honestly cannot muster up enthusiasm to see it on DVD let alone in the cinema. Something is gonna have to change to make me care about this movie, I just don't see the purpose of it and I don't think anyone involved in this movie knows the purpose of it except for the money.

I am likewise finding it difficult to get hyped about this movie. Han wasn't my favorite in the OT, but honestly, I don't think I'd be interested in seeing the pre-OT lives of any of our main characters. We already know their stories. Make a Lando movie with a young Han cameo. Make a Chewie movie. Make a Bail Organa or Mon Mothma movie, even. Maybe the movie will be amazing and I'll eat my words, but where's the suspense in a Han movie? He gets the Falcon. He meets Leia. He was a smuggler who had gotten in trouble with the Hutt cartel. He's not going to get into any trouble that we know he can't get out of, and we've already seen 3 movies worth of his personal growth.

• Love 4

Leia show/movie times 1000! She grew up in the heart of the Galactic Civil War surrounded by characters we know from the Prequels and Original Trilogy. A Han Solo movie in theory is a fun time (I refer to Guardians of the Galaxy as the Han Solo movie where everyone plays Han...) but I don't think it would add to the franchise in the same way as a Leia movie/show would.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, benteen said:

I've said it before but an early Leia movie/TV series could be great.

Casting ideas?

While I feel similar about Leia as I do about Han: That they're both so fully formed that I didn't need to know their backstories, it would be interesting to see the Rebellion growing from the ground up. How did it happen? Did Bail Organa orchestrate it all? Why were the Mon Calamari so on board? Where and how did they get all their ships?

• Love 2
On 2/5/2018 at 9:15 AM, Danny Franks said:

The idea of her playing a villain, or at least selfish femme fatale, really intrigued me. Both in terms of adding a new element to the Star Wars universe (and Han seems like a guy who would have fallen for bad news women in his youth)

Yes! When reading about Han Solo, the character is almost always compared to the charactes played by Humphry Bogart and James Dean. I don't see James Dean. The characters played by Dean had a longing, a vulnerability, a desire to belong, that Han Solo doesn't have. I can see Bogart in spades (no pun intended). I can see that world-weary, knocked around, cynical view that's so clearly in both Han Solo and many of Bogart's roles. Han's character arc in A New Hope is Rick from Casablanca

On 2/6/2018 at 12:25 PM, VCRTracking said:

See the interesting thing to me is after Emilia says "I know who you are." and Han "Yeah what's that?" and has that big confident grin but then you see that bravado start to crack and you see him look worried.

I love this tweet:

We're seeing the character we know and love form. The pilot we see in A New Hope wouldn't look worried at that point and we wouldn't see the bravado crack. I'm an unabashed excited fangirl for this. If people want to pre-judge the movie and hate on it, that's cool. I'll just sit here and eagerly anticipate the new movie. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 3

More posters. No acting credit for Joonas Suotamo. If you don't know who that is, he's the new Chewbacca after Peter Mayhew retired. He may not have any actual dialogue, but physical acting is still acting.

• Love 1