Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Déjà Vu

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Other than Sloane, has this show depicted anyone in the acting world as having any professionalism whatsoever?

Kevin goes ballistic on a studio audience, then breaks his contract, then abandons his Broadway show on opening night seconds before he's supposed to be on stage (without any negative career repercussions of any kind, apparently). Olivia walks out on the same show without warning and no one knows where she is for a month. And now Stallone decides to have a serious talk with Kevin about his dead father immediately before they film a scene together?

Hell, they even had Ron Howard call Kevin in the middle of the night about a role.

Ha, so true.  I was hoping that Kevin's strong feelings in that scene would be channeled into his acting and he'd slay it, and they'd all, Sly and Ron included, be so impressed they would give him a standing ovation and be talking Oscars. 

It makes me kind of mad that they keep making Kevin immature and unprofessional.  I would like to have someone on the show I really like, who is not a walking poster child for their decades old psychic trauma.  

46 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Other than Sloane, has this show depicted anyone in the acting world as having any professionalism whatsoever?

Kevin goes ballistic on a studio audience, then breaks his contract, then abandons his Broadway show on opening night seconds before he's supposed to be on stage (without any negative career repercussions of any kind, apparently). Olivia walks out on the same show without warning and no one knows where she is for a month. And now Stallone decides to have a serious talk with Kevin about his dead father immediately before they film a scene together?

Hell, they even had Ron Howard call Kevin in the middle of the night about a role.

In following the news coming out of Hollywood this week, one gets the overall sense that perhaps professionalism isn't a strong suit of the entertainment industry... In general, though, this show (along with most others) is happy to sacrifice mundane realism for the sake of grand, swooping gestures and drama.

So many TV (or book) writers say they've plotted out the story years in advance but these claims don't really hold up to close inspection. It's more like they have a vague outline but fill in the blanks based on whatever whim they're feeling from week to week.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 7

I was really looking forward to Kevin being a decent to good actor on the film, but nope.  Now Ron Howard just looks like an idiot for thinking he had potential.  Let him have some professional success he can take pride in please!

• Love 5

Honestly, I'd like to see Kevin fail, and experience some actual negative consequences for his career. We've seen very little that would indicate that he's particularly talented, and he's behaved like a compete amateur over and over again. When he got his script for the play, he acted like it was the first time he'd ever worked with a script, and you'd think his audition for the play was the first time he'd ever auditioned for anything.

I've never been able to buy that someone with his complete lack of social skills could make it in Hollywood to begin with. (I know there are plenty of actors who are horribly unpleasant people, but they can be socially smooth when it counts, whereas Kevin seems like someone who would spill soup on any executive he met with.)

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

...and then gets asked back.

It seems likely that an actor who walked off the set of the show that made him famous, and then walks out on his play - well, word would get around and Ron Howard would probably look elsewhere.  Is Kevin supposed to have this special snowflake quality that keeps him in demand and working as an actor?  If so, I don't think we've seen it. 

• Love 4

I hope I wasn't coming off as patronizing.

Oh, you definitely weren't, dju! I apologize for the way I came across. 

From personal experience, I would understand that Rebecca wouldn't want the ashes because it would be too painful and that the necklace is what keeps her connected to Jack. I think if she did, in fact, want them in her possession, her remarriage wouldn't stand in the way of that. Knowing Kate has them and is keeping them safe and how vitally important they are to her for me is what would matter Rebecca. Kevin has Jack's necklace and after what we learnt from him in this episode, wouldn't want to be anywhere near the ashes. Randall not having them or fighting to have them makes sense for me because I've gotten the impression that he doesn't need something tactile to feel close to his father. There are pictures of his father all over his house and we've seen him openly discuss his father with Rebecca (and with others) which provides another form of connection to him that Kate or Kevin sadly don't have (for the time being). 

I totally agree, especially about why Kate would be the one to have them and not Kevin or Randall. 

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
On 10/10/2017 at 10:26 PM, Artsda said:

I loved the girls with Deja more than anything. Beth bringing out the baby monitor. lol Love Beth.  Would have been more interesting to me if they got a teenage boy dynamic in the house though instead of another girl. 

This is from way back,  but I think they would be insane to bring an unknown, probably emotionally disturbed, teenage boy into a house with two younger girls.  There wouldn't be enough baby monitors in the world that would allow me to sleep in that scenario. 

• Love 5

Maybe I'm an unsentimental fool, but I would think that if more than one person wanted Jack's ashes, they would divide them up and everybody gets some. I've heard of people doing this, so it's not totally outrageous to think of it. It also might be that others took some, but Kate is the one who has the biggest issue about it and displays the urn. Others may have scattered them, or done some other ritual.

• Love 1

I am wondering about Kevin's models-I think it was airplane models- that he said he got rid of after his dad died.  He told that to the lady when they crashed the funeral "party" last year.  That would be hard to do if they burned up in the fire.

Edited by jddnjreed
29 minutes ago, jddnjreed said:

I am wondering about Kevin's models-I think it was airplane models- that he said he got rid of after his dad died.  He told that to the lady when they crashed the funeral "party" last year.  That would be hard to do if they burned up in the fire.

Yes this interview goes over that. http://www.etonline.com/tv/201817_this_is_us_reveals_new_clues_on_when_jack_died

They made the house fire seem really bad, maybe so they couldn't use it again, fresh start, but yeah, I'd think games, etc. would have gotten burned or singed or smell like smoke. He does bring up the necklace.

He also said, "And I hated him for it,” he says, before sharing just how affected he was emotionally and physically by the loss of his father. “And I couldn’t eat for a month and I used to wake myself up crying so I could cry myself back to sleep again. That’s what happened."

That's a common feeling but I wonder if he was saving the dog or maybe suicide because the hate could have been, "It could have been prevented" type of thing.

On 10/11/2017 at 2:58 PM, Katy M said:

I don't think we're going to see anything from the past, or at least not much, post-Jack.

Regina King directed an upcoming episode and all she could say is "you'll see the big three in a decade you haven't before." So I do think we'll see Randall and Beth meet, Kevin begin acting and possibly a career Kate planned on doing before Kevin hit it big. I don't think we have any decades left besides their 20s. It's weird though because I looked the same from around age 14-23, so I think the casting has to really match the teen versions closely. 

Funny thinking of 8-10 year old Randall and how he just seemed to live 2 years of his life with less melanin and a lisp. Worth it for that great actor of course. Even baby Randall is darker-skinned than 8 year old Randall. 

If (when) this show lasts more than 3 years, are we growing up with the kids? Teen Three will end up being College Three in season four just because actors age in real time. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Not to go too OT here but given what’s been all over the news this week, I’m pretty sure professionalism and the acting world do not go together at all.  

14 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

This makes so much sense to me now and in other ways as well; I once dated a guy who unfortunately had bad things happen to him when he was ten and he was sadly, most definitely, an emotionally injured ten-year-old in a 40-year-old man's body.  It was heartbreaking and there wasn't a single thing I could ever be allowed to do to help him because he could not face it.  He too, turned out to be addicted.

One of the things you learn in rehab is that emotional maturity is stalled at the age an addiction begins.  One of the benefits of doing Steps and/or therapy is that they help with emotional maturation after getting sober.  If you think about adults we know that are alcoholics or addicts who became addicted young, it almost always turns out that way.  

13 hours ago, Dejana said:

In following the news coming out of Hollywood this week, one gets the overall sense that perhaps professionalism isn't a strong suit of the entertainment industry

Sorry, should have read your response before replying...great minds and all :)

On 10/11/2017 at 9:08 PM, Conotocarious said:

I don't notice it on Milo though.

The Bells Palsy is less noticeable now than it was when he was on Gilmore Girls and Heroes, but you can still tell.  He talks out of the side of his mouth and his lower lip looks fatter than the other side when he makes certain facial expressions.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, TomServo said:

The Bells Palsy is less noticeable now than it was when he was on Gilmore Girls and Heroes, but you can still tell.  He talks out of the side of his mouth and his lower lip looks fatter than the other side when he makes certain facial expressions.

Has he said he has Bell's Palsy which is usually a temporary issue. Everything I read is that he was born with nerve damage.

A lot of Vietnam vets are huge fans of Stallone because they identified with John Rambo's issues adjusting to life after the war.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, debraran said:

He also said, "And I hated him for it,” he says, before sharing just how affected he was emotionally and physically by the loss of his father. “And I couldn’t eat for a month and I used to wake myself up crying so I could cry myself back to sleep again. That’s what happened."

That's a common feeling but I wonder if he was saving the dog or maybe suicide because the hate could have been, "It could have been prevented" type of thing.

Oh man, I completely forgot about that line from him, it’s so sad and telling. I think it was Sterling who said that the manner in which Jack dies poetically matches the manner in which he lived his life and to me, that sounds like he makes the ultimate sacrifice, rather than taking his own life. Which, if Kevin's using the word 'hate' to describe the way he feels about Jack's death, makes sense if Kevin strongly feels as though it didn't need to happen. It sort of draws back to the fact that Kevin was always so desperate for more of his father's (and mother's) attention, it's as though Kevin can't mentally and emotionally process or accept that he feels as though by dying in that way, Jack abandoned him. 

35 minutes ago, dju said:

Oh man, I completely forgot about that line from him, it’s so sad and telling. I think it was Sterling who said that the manner in which Jack dies poetically matches the manner in which he lived his life and to me, that sounds like he makes the ultimate sacrifice, rather than taking his own life. Which, if Kevin's using the word 'hate' to describe the way he feels about Jack's death, makes sense if Kevin strongly feels as though it didn't need to happen. It sort of draws back to the fact that Kevin was always so desperate for more of his father's (and mother's) attention, it's as though Kevin can't mentally and emotionally process or accept that he feels as though by dying in that way, Jack abandoned him. 

That's true.  That conversation was forgotten in all the later drama and it was so emotional, I'm glad I found it again and the clip shows a short video of it.  Now when I see Jack give him his necklace next show, I'll cry knowing that is all he has.

"

His (likely) brash decision in the distant past to do away with the models he and his father built together when he was younger rests heavily on Kevin, his voice breaking with emotion as he reveals the only tangible thing he has left of his father: a necklace Jack used to wear.

“I have this -- this necklace, this is his, and it’s the only thing I have left of him, and at first I didn’t want to wear it, I wouldn’t wear it, I wouldn’t even look at it but now it’s all I have now, I can’t take it off now,” Kevin says, unexpectedly crying over his father years later

Edited by debraran
8 hours ago, dcubed said:

Not to go too OT here but given what’s been all over the news this week, I’m pretty sure professionalism and the acting world do not go together at all.  

I think the Weinstein stuff has mostly shown that producers can get away with stunning unprofessionalism, and that actors (even famous ones) are at their mercy. Which makes it even more unbelievable that Kevin could screw over the producers of his TV show and suffer absolutely no consequences.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe I'm an unsentimental fool, but I would think that if more than one person wanted Jack's ashes, they would divide them up and everybody gets some. I've heard of people doing this, so it's not totally outrageous to think of it. It also might be that others took some, but Kate is the one who has the biggest issue about it and displays the urn. Others may have scattered them, or done some other ritual.

That is what my family did with my mother's ashes.  I got most of them and her siblings and partner got a small amount as well.  We all had custom urns made by her favorite potter.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

No matter how much I love someone, I wouldn't want to keep their ashes in my home. That's just me - it just icks me out. I could barely touch the bag they came in when I had to put my father's ashes into his urn. (might have even passed it off to my husband, come to think of it). They are, after all, the remains of the loved one's body. I kind of admire people who don't have the same reaction I do. Splitting up the ashes does seem a reasonable solution, if everyone is inclined to keep them.

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

I think the Weinstein stuff has mostly shown that producers can get away with stunning unprofessionalism, and that actors (even famous ones) are at their mercy. Which makes it even more unbelievable that Kevin could screw over the producers of his TV show and suffer absolutely no consequences.

Weinstein's  industry just gave him an endless flow of victims. Business, the military, and pretty much any human industry where individuals have power over others who are predators like him. The victim pool is just smaller.

But yeah, since Kevin's tantrum screwed their bottom line (which is everything), it is hard to believe he had no consequences, and was even invited back. I don't recall seeing any other actor who left in similar circumstances given a return appearance.

• Love 1

Has he said he has Bell's Palsy which is usually a temporary issue. Everything I read is that he was born with nerve damage.

He was born with nerve damage and does not have Bell's Palsy. There was a recent interview he did online with People magazine where he goes into detail about his mouth. 

• Love 1

I know people loved sly on the show, and yes he was great.  However to me, with Ron Howard and Stallone showing up I feel like this show is jumping the shark.  Are we going to do the Will & Grace thing where we have guest stars doing cameo roles every episode?

On 10/11/2017 at 6:30 AM, debraran said:

I felt her friends advice wasn't good because she didn't know what Jack was going through and having Rebecca feel sex was a cure for her issues wasn't on target. Jack is under a lot of stress, all his energy is in not slipping and opening up, just being a rock for him when needed, supporting him, is most important.

Miguels children will be brought in later, so I suppose mentioning Amber was a slight introduction to one.

Right!  Have sex!  It's not a cute, the lack of it is a symptom.  

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 1

I really didn't think her suggestion to have sex was just that sex cures everything.  I thought her point was somewhat along Miguel's point that he stopped doing nice things for her and she didn't notice:  if you don't know when you last had sex, other than a long time ago, and you don't even care, that is a bad sign for your marriage.  Her encouraging Rebecca to initiate sex, to me, was really about encouraging intimacy before you just become roommates in the same house who have fallen out of love.

• Love 12

I don't think The Big Three split up Jack's ashes.  I believe they're all in that very large urn Kate keeps on her mantle.  Since Kevin has said the necklace is all of his father that he has left, that would mean he doesn't have any ashes.  Rebecca probably had the ashes at first but when marrying Miguel either wisely or upon his request gave the urn to Kate so they wouldn't be in the house.

I have my deceased cats' ashes in their urn boxes in my home on display, but I would not want human ashes.  After my mother died, she was cremated per her wishes and my brother and I had her ashes buried at sea.

Edited by CelticBlackCat
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

A lot of Vietnam vets are huge fans of Stallone because they identified with John Rambo's issues adjusting to life after the war.

I was under the impression that Bells Palsy was a syndrome; I guess I'll have to go look that up.  I've read the People interview where Milo says he was born with a nerve problem in his lip.  Maybe it's a different nerve than the one that gets you a B.P. diagnosis.

Bell's Palsy is a transient condition in which one side of the face droops and becomes paralyzed. A friend of mine was talking to me as he had the attack, and it's very scary looking. We thought he was having a stroke. Although it can leave behind some permanent lack of mobility, it does usually pass. My friend had trouble with one eye watering after it happened.

No one in my family has ever been cremated (for religious reasons) and I don't have any siblings. Thus my curiosity about how the custody of a loved one's ashes is determined. I never dreamed one might dig into them and divvy them up.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I know people loved sly on the show, and yes he was great.  However to me, with Ron Howard and Stallone showing up I feel like this show is jumping the shark.

That's how I always feel about stars playing themselves on shows.  It pops me right out of the pretend world the show has created and reminds me that they are all actors, some of them friends in real life, coming on as a favor, some of them fans of the show who want to take part.   

A short lived show from long ago was "Evening Shade," starring Burt Reynolds.  It was really a sweet show with lots of good characters and I think it might have caught on if given time,  but the second ratings  started to flag, all Burt's famous friends started showing up in guest spots and it made it impossible to keep believing he was a small town high-school coach.  I know it's not the case here, but I will always think of stars playing themselves as an act of desperation on the show's part.

With "This is Us," it's already difficult enough to maintain  suspension of disbelief because of the after show and the stars continually popping up on talk shows to talk about their roles. 

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

That's how I always feel about stars playing themselves on shows.  It pops me right out of the pretend world the show has created and reminds me that they are all actors, some of them friends in real life, coming on as a favor, some of them fans of the show who want to take part.   

A short lived show from long ago was "Evening Shade," starring Burt Reynolds.  It was really a sweet show with lots of good characters and I think it might have caught on if given time,  but the second ratings  started to flag, all Burt's famous friends started showing up in guest spots and it made it impossible to keep believing he was a small town high-school coach.  I know it's not the case here, but I will always think of stars playing themselves as an act of desperation on the show's part.

With "This is Us," it's already difficult enough to maintain  suspension of disbelief because of the after show and the stars continually popping up on talk shows to talk about their roles. 

I've never seen Evening Shade, but I can definitely see your point from how you describe it.  However, Kevin is an actor.  So, it makes sense to see him working with actors and directors.  As for the rest, I've never watched any of the after shows, or seen or read any interviews given by the actors.  If it takes you out of the show, they're easy enough to avoid.

• Love 4

I know people loved sly on the show, and yes he was great.  However to me, with Ron Howard and Stallone showing up I feel like this show is jumping the shark.

I agree with Katy M, it would be odd if Kevin, as an actor, didn't work with some recognizable actors and directors. I don't see it as stunt casting nor as jumping the shark. 

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Evening Shade - there's a blast from the past. I don't remember how it went under, but that certainly sounds like why I might have stopped watching it. I, personally, don't have a problem with name actors showing up - either playing themselves or other roles (occasionally, mind you - a constant stream is something entirely different). I even enjoy it now and again. 

12 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Kevin's a fictional actor so I think it'd be perfectly normal for him to work with other fictional actors only.    

Fair point.  And they did do that with the Manny show, and his Broadway show. 

On the other hand, this is supposed to be his big break, and working with recognizable directors and actors is one way to emphasize that point. Sly, in particularly, gave one scene a poignancy that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Cheating, maybe, but I thought they incorporated him fairly well. Because I was watching Kevin act in a "real" movie, it didn't bother me one bit.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

And they did do that with the Manny show,

Though they did have Alan Thicke as himself on the Manny, too.

I don't have a big problem with stars playing themselves but it does feel a little stunt-like to me.  I didn't mind Stallone showing up so much as I cringed at Kate acting like he was some deity in front of her.  

Part of me feels like if they could just write it good enough, they wouldn't need cameos.  When I think of the most well-written dramas over the years, none of them had those.  

Edited by Guest
19 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Though they did have Alan Thicke as himself on the Manny, too.

I don't have a big problem with stars playing themselves but it does feel a little stunt-like to me.  I didn't mind Stallone showing up so much as I cringed at Kate acting like he was some deity in front of her.  

Part of me feels like if they could just write it good enough, they wouldn't need cameos.  When I think of the most well-written dramas over the years, none of them had those.  

Ahh, I'd forgotten Alan (RIP), my bad.

Kate fan girling was indeed cringe worthy. But it all flowed together for me - Sly's position as family favorite had a lot of layers to it, from being her favorite because of her idolization of Jack, to being Jack's favorite for many reasons - some of which may relate to his war experiences and Sly's Rambo. Which then added some depth to Kevin's associations and reactions (it's not like he would have forgotten that Sly was his Dad's favorite actor). 

I'm sure there are other instances, other shows, (and maybe even on this one in the future) where I'd totally feel casting was a stunt. This one, not so much.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I didn't mind Stallone showing up so much as I cringed at Kate acting like he was some deity in front of her.  

That's real, though.  Some people do act like that when they meet famous people.  I've never met one (OK I met Mario Van Peebles, once, but he's not that big) and don't know how I would react.  Hopefully, I could just act normal.  But, not everyone can.  And, since SS was a biggie for her, because of her dad, I didn't find it odd or cringeworthy that she fangirled over him.  I would have found it odd if she hadn't actually.  

• Love 3
On 10/13/2017 at 10:12 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Ha, so true.  I was hoping that Kevin's strong feelings in that scene would be channeled into his acting and he'd slay it, and they'd all, Sly and Ron included, be so impressed they would give him a standing ovation and be talking Oscars. 

It makes me kind of mad that they keep making Kevin immature and unprofessional.  I would like to have someone on the show I really like, who is not a walking poster child for their decades old psychic trauma.  

I thought Sly's talk before the scene started would channel Kevin to slay it too. Was sad to see that it had the reverse effect on him. =(

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

That's real, though.  Some people do act like that when they meet famous people.  I've never met one (OK I met Mario Van Peebles, once, but he's not that big) and don't know how I would react.  Hopefully, I could just act normal.  But, not everyone can.  And, since SS was a biggie for her, because of her dad, I didn't find it odd or cringeworthy that she fangirled over him.  I would have found it odd if she hadn't actually.  

I know it's real.  I find it cringeworthy in real life, too.  

I met Paul Newman years ago at a hospital. He was talking to a doctor, I was walking down the hall in the basement where some doctors were and a pharmacy, and I just nodded to him and he nodded back. i thought he looked so handsome and his eyes were piercing but I respected he was there for a reason and thought I might catch him for a few seconds later.  Then a woman came by the elevator and literally started screaming , I mean SCREAMING his name and just noise. They quickly escorted him into a room to never appear again I'm sure. lol  She was still jumping around as I walked back to my office.

I understand excitement but that reaction...no.  Kate wasn't too bad, gushy but she seemed normal later talking to him and if he was her Dad's favorite, it was a treat.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, debraran said:

I met Paul Newman years ago at a hospital. He was talking to a doctor, I was walking down the hall in the basement where some doctors were and a pharmacy, and I just nodded to him and he nodded back. i thought he looked so handsome and his eyes were piercing but I respected he was there for a reason and thought I might catch him for a few seconds later.  Then a woman came by the elevator and literally started screaming , I mean SCREAMING his name and just noise. They quickly escorted him into a room to never appear again I'm sure. lol  She was still jumping around as I walked back to my office.

I understand excitement but that reaction...no.  Kate wasn't too bad, gushy but she seemed normal later talking to him and if he was her Dad's favorite, it was a treat.

Yeah, I didn't think Kate was that bad. She was clearly nervous and she froze up an dthen she babbled a bit.  But, she never got inappropriate.  She didn't follow him into a bathroom.  She didn't scream.  She didn't steal anything of his.

That woman at the hospital, though.  Why did she think he was there?  He obviously either had some medical problem, or was visiting someone with a medical problem.  Not the time or the place.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Kevin's a fictional actor so I think it'd be perfectly normal for him to work with other fictional actors only.    

Exactly!  It's really unnecessary for actors to do cameos on this show as themselves.   Especially hard for me to believe that a famous actor is going to have a long talk on a set with the sister/personal assistant of another actor instead of going into the trailer and trying to get away from fanboys/girls.  And it's especially hard for me to believe that there's some big tie in too.  That Kevin just *happens* to land a role with an actor that The Big Three had some sort of tradition going.  Just too hokey.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 3
On 10/13/2017 at 3:25 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

Not to mention Rebecca and her band's unprofessionalism.  Fist fight, leaving the venue before going onstage, leaving the band with no lead singer.

Tantrum, leaving the tv show with no lead actor (Kevin).  Family "emergency," leaving a play with no lead actor (Kevin).  Emotional issue of some sort, leaving a woman with no personal assistant (Kate).  Emotional breakdown, leaving a partnership (Randall).

We see this family doing an awful lot of bailing on their jobs, with no fallout that I have seen.  Kevin bailed twice and still gets a starring role from Ron Howard?  Highly unbelieveable.  And we never get to see the results of all the people they've somehow left in the lurch.  The Big Three seem pretty untouchable as far as consequences go.  Once or maybe twice, it might seem believeable under the circumstances.  But this is a major pattern with this family.  So how do we get invested in anything they undertake if we know their MO is to run when it gets tough?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Tantrum, leaving the tv show with no lead actor (Kevin).  Family "emergency," leaving a play with no lead actor (Kevin).  Emotional issue of some sort, leaving a woman with no personal assistant (Kate).  Emotional breakdown, leaving a partnership (Randall).

We see this family doing an awful lot of bailing on their jobs, with no fallout that I have seen.  Kevin bailed twice and still gets a starring role from Ron Howard?  Highly unbelieveable.  And we never get to see the results of all the people they've somehow left in the lurch.  The Big Three seem pretty untouchable as far as consequences go.  Once or maybe twice, it might seem believeable under the circumstances.  But this is a major pattern with this family.  So how do we get invested in anything they undertake if we know their MO is to run when it gets tough?

I think Kate only worked for that woman for one week.  She probably just hired someone else.  We know what happened with Kevin and the Manny. They recast.   He was supposedly getting sued.  Randall was on medical leave and then quit.  So, he didnt' technically leave them in a lurch.  He was already out.  And, it's not like someone else has hired him, so you can't really say that there were no consequences.  What consequences could there be for someone who quit their job and is then just hanging out at home?  It's not a crime.

5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think Kate only worked for that woman for one week.  She probably just hired someone else.  We know what happened with Kevin and the Manny. They recast.   He was supposedly getting sued.  Randall was on medical leave and then quit.  So, he didnt' technically leave them in a lurch.  He was already out.  And, it's not like someone else has hired him, so you can't really say that there were no consequences.  What consequences could there be for someone who quit their job and is then just hanging out at home?  It's not a crime.

In real life, if you just up and quit jobs, work of mouth would be your consequence, difficulty procuring your next job.  And being on medical leave is not the same as being "already out."  

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

In real life, if you just up and quit jobs, work of mouth would be your consequence, difficulty procuring your next job.  And being on medical leave is not the same as being "already out."  

And, my point was Randall and Kate don't have "next" jobs, so you can't really say they didn't have difficulty procuring your next job.  And, the fact that Randall was on medical leave meant that he didn't have any projects in the works.  he didn't leave them in a lurch.  I think they said he had been on leave for about a month.  From the looks of the way they were operating, everything that he had been working on would have been reassigned.  Notice wouldn't have accomplished anything. And many businesses now just let you go after you give notice anyway as they are afraid of sabotage and whatnot.

On 10/14/2017 at 3:31 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

I don't think The Big Three split up Jack's ashes.  I believe they're all in that very large urn Kate keeps on her mantle.  Since Kevin has said the necklace is all of his father that he has left, that would mean he doesn't have any ashes.  Rebecca probably had the ashes at first but when marrying Miguel either wisely or upon his request gave the urn to Kate so they wouldn't be in the house.

I've always assumed that Kate has all of his ashes. I can't imagine the writers turning down a chance to remind us that Kate was Jack's favorite.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And, my point was Randall and Kate don't have "next" jobs, so you can't really say they didn't have difficulty procuring your next job.  And, the fact that Randall was on medical leave meant that he didn't have any projects in the works.  he didn't leave them in a lurch.  I think they said he had been on leave for about a month.  From the looks of the way they were operating, everything that he had been working on would have been reassigned.  Notice wouldn't have accomplished anything. And many businesses now just let you go after you give notice anyway as they are afraid of sabotage and whatnot.

Something tells me that Randall and Kate will be out of work and will have absolutely no problem getting jobs after an extended period of time too, whereas most people would in real life has some sort of consequence from thatl.  I'm quite sure with this show, they'll never suffer from it.   I mean, Kate never seems to do much of anything yet she is somehow able to live by herself in a nice place.  I guess like most people, she can chase whatever impossible dream she has, like a singing career, even though she doesn't seem to hold jobs for long.  Is Kevin paying her rent?   

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

I guess like most people, she can chase whatever impossible dream she has, like a singing career, even though she doesn't seem to hold jobs for long.  Is Kevin paying her rent?   

She was Kevin's personal assistant for probably more than 10 years and I'm sure he paid her well.

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

She was Kevin's personal assistant for probably more than 10 years and I'm sure he paid her well.

She could have amassed big savings from working for Kevin, but expenses pile up fast and are unrelenting, all the while having virtually no new income added into the pot for most of a year now.  Her situation seems unrealistic to me.  Kevin's, too.  Randall I can imagine having made shrewd investments over the years, what with his line of work and mathematical and predictive propensities, plus Beth works.  I think they all suffer from impulsivity, though, and pretty much skate from serious consequences.  Unlike the rest of us mortals.

• Love 2

I think as long as storming off a job with an angry monologue is considered good drama, we'll see that happen and see little or no consequences here.  Same for telling your hesitant wife "this IS happening so get on board" about adopting, and all the other unlikely, unrealistic things that happen on the show.  

I can buy that Randall could have solid career prospects after quitting his old job. Someone who brought in that much money would have plenty of people eager to work with them, even if they quit a job without giving notice.

But I really hate that they just handwaved Kate and Toby's financial situations. If they had actually given Kate a line like, "Kevin paid me well, and I have a lot saved up," that would have at least been something. Or she could say that she's continuing to do some work for Jami Gertz's character remotely. Or Toby could say something about teleworking.

• Love 4