Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

In the spring of 2005, Faith kidnapped Michael, Morgan, and Kristina. Sonny, FBI Agent Reese (who was really Carly's childhood friend who had allegedly died and whom Carly stole her identity from) & Jason tracked Faith to this abandoned church in New Orleans, and I'll let the clip speak for itself:Jason and the Shoot Out With Faith 2/05: http://youtu.be/PtRECU5j14w

Look at this ABC Family mob shit.

• Love 2
Steve and Audrey Hardy.

Brian and Claudia, I think.

Luke and Laura never cheated on each other (not including re-writes), though they did eventually break up.

Robert Scorpio never cheated on a spouse, though they -- or he -- wound up dying.

Steve/Audrey had at least one misunderstanding in the early 80s - where a woman came to town from Steve's past, and Audrey got the wrong idea, flipping out and moving in with Jessie - so I think that, if not cheating, there was some attraction to another person / jealousy issues in their relationship.

Brian and Claudia probably never cheated on each other, but I'm afraid that might be because they almost never got to be center stage - they were always supporting others' stories.  

As much as the show eventually pounded their relationship (and the Laura character, really) into the dirt ... yes, I guess Luke / Laura never cheated on each other except for in Retcon-ville.

Robert never cheated on a spouse, but sad to say he could be a crappy boyfriend a times.  I love him, but he blatantly flirts with and kisses Jackie while he's supposed to be dating Tiffany, and then later marries Holly to get her a green card when he's supposed to be with Jackie.   I sort of hope Tiffany kicks him in the balls when she eventually (I hope!) dumps him over the Jackie stuff, but I'm only up to April '82 in my viewing, so I don't know yet.

• Love 1

Robert kissed Anna before he went on the plane to be with Holly in Australia in 1985. Does that count as some sort of cheating? I guess it was a goodbye kiss, but it was a little more...passionate than that. 

(edited)

Steve/Audrey had at least one misunderstanding in the early 80s - where a woman came to town from Steve's past, and Audrey got the wrong idea, flipping out and moving in with Jessie - so I think that, if not cheating, there was some attraction to another person / jealousy issues in their relationship.

Brian and Claudia probably never cheated on each other, but I'm afraid that might be because they almost never got to be center stage - they were always supporting others' stories.  

As much as the show eventually pounded their relationship (and the Laura character, really) into the dirt ... yes, I guess Luke / Laura never cheated on each other except for in Retcon-ville.

Robert never cheated on a spouse, but sad to say he could be a crappy boyfriend a times.  I love him, but he blatantly flirts with and kisses Jackie while he's supposed to be dating Tiffany, and then later marries Holly to get her a green card when he's supposed to be with Jackie.   I sort of hope Tiffany kicks him in the balls when she eventually (I hope!) dumps him over the Jackie stuff, but I'm only up to April '82 in my viewing, so I don't know yet.

Yes, this is a better place to discuss this topic.  In the other thread, I wanted to make the comparison to Dante and Lulu in the present.  One my points is that these couples had separations and even other relationships - but without cheap cheating and tawdry affairs.  There were reasons. 

Edited by Aurora2
(edited)

Robert kissed Anna before he went on the plane to be with Holly in Australia in 1985. Does that count as some sort of cheating? I guess it was a goodbye kiss, but it was a little more...passionate than that. 

Oh, I can't wait to see that when I finally get to watching the 1985 episodes in some sort of order!

I have skipped around through 1985 to see a lot of the highlights.  There's a point in the Aztec Treasure story where Holly has left town, angry over Anna, and Anna goes over to the good side to help Robert take down Sean.  Part of the plan is for Robert and Anna to pretend to be reconciling to fake out Sean ... which looks soooo bad because it involves some kissing in public.  But it's just pretending to fool Sean, so I'm not sure that counts.  

Speaking of goodbye kisses, at the end of the Aztec Treasure story (before the Robin reveal and Anna's return to 'fess up about the fact that they have a kid, and before Robert leaves to join Holly in Australia) - there's a very nice scene that I kind of love.  Anna is about to leave town, expecting that, while Robert has forgiven her, he probably doesn't want her hanging around.  She suggests they shake hands to say goodbye ... and instead he kisses her on the forehead and looks at her sadly for a long moment.  Awww.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
(edited)

Yes, for some reason the writers in 2006 decided Holly was now a bitchy lunatic.  It was weird and stupid.  

And I say this as someone who will always prefer Anna to Holly.   The writing for Holly was bad when she returned in the 90s, and it was downright ridiculous in the 2000s.  I had to watch 1983 episodes on Youtube to finally figure out what the character was supposed to be about. 

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

The only stuff of Holly I've seen from 1992/93 are her scenes with Robin and Tiffany. I'm assuming those are the only ones worth watching. 

• Love 1

Holly just rubbed me the wrong way when she came back in the early 90s.   Robert caught her trying to con Mac's girlfriend at the time, Dominique - that's how he found out she didn't actually die!   It looked really bad!  She had some excuse for it, but her attitude was really shitty ... she was like "Well, I didn't realize you were going to go and re-marry Anna!  And why are you friend with Sean now?!"  She was in no position to judge anyone at that point, and I really didn't like her at first.

I'll be honest, I was already pissed at how Anna was getting written off the show, so I was kind of primed to resent Holly, LOL.  

She did eventually prove to be a good friend to Robin and other characters I loved while she was in Port Charles.   But the relationship with Bill Eckert was a real dud.  Also, I had found Bill more palatable with Julia, who eventually got thrown over for Holly, so I resented Holly for that, too.  Eventually, she left town with all of Bill's money - which was the most interesting thing she did in that period. 

As I said, the writing for Holly in the 90s did not do her any favors.  

• Love 3

Luke was always very clear that he never cheated on Laura.  The first time, with Sonny in early '94 at about 5:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxEt2PI8a0&list=PL89CA700005C0A826&index=47

He also told Lucky during the rape reveal storyline that he had never cheated on Laura in 16 years.  

It wasn't until the Guza years that all that changed.  :(

• Love 4

What's funny about Holly to me is that I was watching in the 90s when she was on, and yet I have absolutely no recollection of her at all! I need to get to those episodes someday in my rewatch but I'm still in the early 80s. I think this is why Ethan never bothered me and I liked him- I had no memory of Holly so couldn't care about her history being crapped on. So aside from a brief eye roll about Luke cheating on Laura to father Ethan, it never bothered me that he existed.

Messing with continuity isn't necessarily a great sin in and of itself. If it's entertaining and well written (like Nikolas and Stefan in 1996*) than there's some room for leeway. If it's something like freakin' Ethan popping out of nowhere, ruining continuity and the past for absolutely no good reason except to have him wander around purposelessly just to kiss Luke's ass, then it's a bad idea.

I'm perfectly fine attributing Ethan's existence to a psychotic break on Luke's part. If Ethan was going to exist, he should have been Robert/Holly's coma baby.

• Love 5
(edited)

It's heartbreaking, isn't it, UYI? I faked sick back then to watch it live and cried buckets. I don't think my mom really bought it, but she was also a GH fan and she cried, too.

I did that (skipped school & cried) too!

I really wish Lucky had stayed dead until JJ was willing to return.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2

I actually don't think Patrick isn't relevant without Robin. It's the fact that they don't completely cut the cord that's the problem. Patrick may not give a shit about the character on-screen, but the fact remains that she's a hostage and he doesn't know. So Robin is still in the background lingering. They need to end this story, end Robin/Patrick cleanly, and then see what the character of Patrick is able to do.

I hope this is where this goes, because my reply isn't totally related to the current episode. If this is wrong, mod folks, please move the post. :-)

When I said that Patrick isn't relevant without Robin, what I meant was that, within the narrative, he's become Sam's boyfriend, and before that he was supposedly Sabrina's perfect prince. I don't really agree with the second thing, because I think he (and JT) were mostly sleepwalking through Patrick's "relationship" with Sabrina, and I still haven't forgotten him calling Gabriel "that baby". But that's likely unpopular, so I guess its neither here nor there.

In a way, its kind of ironic, since when he and Robin first got together, she was the one who was considered not good enough for him, since Guza decided that she was too boring/frumpy/whatever for the handsome hotshot surgeon, and her own mother told her that she'd better lock that down before he looked elsewhere. Then he did look elsewhere, and from what I recall Robin got way more of the blame than Patrick did. Now Robin isn't here anymore, and while its true that she hovers like a ghost on the sidelines, her not being around has relegated Patrick to the sidelines as well, and he's still on canvas. Personally, I long for the Jason reveal solely because I cannot wait for Sam to leap over Patrick like Superman over a tall building in her haste to get to her real true love. Maybe she'll refer to Emma as "that child" before its all said and done, too.

• Love 1

Oh, I agree with you there. He's just become someone's boyfriend. Literally does nothing else but kiss Sam's ass. Doesn't have a past. Doesn't have thoughts or opinions. And when he does, it lasts .02 seconds, he calls her "adventure girl" and then screws her. It's probably the most boring thing happening on the show right now. Just utterly sleep-inducing. And there's no sexual chemistry, so they're not even hot to off-set the boring shit.

I'm hoping the Jason stuff will liven up everything.

• Love 1

It's revolting. And Patrick's like, "I love her!!!" I think the dude may love Jason, tbh.

Love on this GH is as lasting as snow in July. So even if Patrick does love Sam, this too shall pass. So there's an upside to having no build up or romance on this show. Especially since Sam will make tire tracks on Pod's face to go running back to her Borgie Poo.

• Love 1

I didn't know until I watched this that Tracy had had an abortion (I don't like how they make it seem like she regretted it, though). I really have only been able to most of Tracy and Julie's Lulu scenes on YouTube, and I really wish I had been around to see them the first time, because I love them so much. And I love the shade of green that Lulu wears here, too :) .

• Love 3
(edited)

I knew it was offscreen, I just didn't know anything about it happening at all.

Also, I love Scott Clifton, but it wasn't until OLTL that he really had a good haircut. His spiky hairdos on GH are tragic to look at. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I knew it was offscreen, I just didn't know anything about it happening at all.

Also, I love Scott Clifton, but it wasn't until OLTL that he really had a good haircut. His spiky hairdos on GH are tragic to look at. 

It was a retcon, I think that's why people don't talk about it much/it's not talked about on the show much.

Siiigh, Schuyler...

And yes, Dillon's hair was rather large and in charge the last few times he was on GH.

(edited)

pretty sure Tracy having n abortion was offscreen it was never mentioned until this story.

There were two or three odd scenes in the fall of 2013 that strongly hinted Ellie was Tracy's daughter and then it was just dropped.

Ellie also had a few random scenes with Franco that summer and fall that hinted at some connection between the two. It was as if Ron wanted to connect her to the canvas, but wouldn't or couldn't commit to an idea. I really wish they'd bring her back.

Anyway, wasn't Tracy's abortion mentioned on "The City"?

Edited by Tiger
(edited)

GHScorpiosRule, is this the Broadway number with Brenda you were talking about? I guess she and Karen got along enough after the latter came back for the spinoff to do an NB number together! ;)

Also, Carly and Brenda meet for the first time.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I didn't know until I watched this that Tracy had had an abortion (I don't like how they make it seem like she regretted it, though). I really have only been able to most of Tracy and Julie's Lulu scenes on YouTube, and I really wish I had been around to see them the first time, because I love them so much. And I love the shade of green that Lulu wears here, too :) .

The Lulu/Tracy and later Lulu/Luke scenes were great and so realistic. Too bad we don't get anything close to that now. 

• Love 1

I watched those scenes where Luke tells the Q's off about wanting Lulu to keep the baby last night. The part where he says Alan loses over who the worse father is between them made me uncomfortable, though:

• Love 1
(edited)

2006 was a pretty good year for GH, imo, at least, for a post 1999 year. I wish Valentini hadn't burned bridges with  . . . I'm strangely blanking out on his name, the Dillon actor, because I would love to see him back. I would love for him and DZ to have scenes together, and for those two characters to meet. And of course, for him to have scenes with Lulu, now that she has a child, and she and Tracy are so close.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3
(edited)

I wish Valentini hadn't burned bridges with  . . . I'm strangely blanking out on his name, the Dillon actor, because I would love to see him back.

Scott Clifton (I love you, Schuyler Joplin!).  It would be great to see Dillon again, as long as he's not recast with you know who.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I don't watch B&B, but I have a friend who does. She and the Serial Drama girls seem to agree that his character is a tool. I liked Dillon Q, but I think Schuyler Joplin was probably the best soap role SC has had. Before it went to hell, I mean.

I remember Luke (who always called Dillon "Spielberg"), calling him "Polanski" after finding out about the pregnancy. Probably a Geary ad-lib, and it was hilarious.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't watch B&B, but I have a friend who does. She and the Serial Drama girls seem to agree that his character is a tool. I liked Dillon Q, but I think Schuyler Joplin was probably the best soap role SC has had. Before it went to hell, I mean.

I'd heard the same, that his character on B&B is a toolshed.  And yes, Schuyler Joplin was really developing into something special when he was bullshittingly axed.

I do think the character is needed, especially with Ned leaving soon.  So I'm okay with a recast, as long as it's not you know who.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
(edited)

If they recast Ned with James DePaiva, I'll be kissing Frank and Ron's ass so hard even you know who as Dillon wouldn't faze me. ;)

But that will never happen, so you guys have nothing to worry about. :P  *cries over the lack of JDP on her screen*

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Did the entire town ever find out back then that Luke actually was a rapist? Because if he hadn't saved from freezing with Laura, it would have been next to impossible for him to become mayor of PC.* By the time Lulu find out I guess it was common knowledge, but I'm curious how many people actually knew in the early 80's/in 1998 when Lucky found out (speaking of which, how did Nik find out? He's the one who told Lucky).

*I just realized that happened after it was retconned as a seduction, so that may render my question moot.

Stephan told him. He wanted laura and she stayed with Luke. Nick told Lucky  ,and as it turned out the two boys were the victims in this. The adults were all asses and they still are.. Stephan wanted Nick to hate the Spencer's, and Luke wanted Lucky, to hate the Cassidine's. he was brought up to hate them. Nick wanted to know his little sister and the you know what *hit the fan*. I think I hated Luke for the way he treated the boy who saved his daughter and had nothing to do with being born. Luke as Mayor was way before all this.

I have been catching up on Jason and Robin (I have only seen Scrubs era Robin) and I can definitely see the chemistry between them. Just got to the part where Carly and Jason started sleeping together and, surprise, I still hate Carly no matter who plays her.

I have to admit that it is weird to see Jack Deveraux (Matthew Ashford) playing a doctor and sleeping with Felicia.

• Love 2

I've hated Carly since Day 1. But I've always appreciated most of the actresses who played her. SJB will forever be Queen Carly.

JnR were one of my fave soap couples ever. So sweet and real and candid and HOT. They kissed like they were eating each other's faces off. Now I love them as just besties.