Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

On 3/28/2020 at 1:03 AM, Asp Burger said:

but it is remarkable that if her children with Ric and Jax had survived, it would be five. She'd be a sort of She-Sonny for fertility.

Disagree. She ended up pregnant with Jax's baby because she had offered to be a surrogate for Jax and his wife and the procedure didn't go the way it was supposed to. She and Jax never had sex; she was not trying to have a baby with him. Sonny currently has four living biological children and one illegally adopted child. If the children from having sex with Lily, Claudia and Carly had been born and Morgan lived, he'd have nine children now (unless Lily's pregnancy turned out to be twins - I think she was early in the pregnancy when she got blown up). If Carly's pregnancy from the hate sex with Sonny had not resulted in a miscarriage and Morgan didn't get blown up, she would have five children from hook ups and marriages. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Disagree. She ended up pregnant with Jax's baby because she had offered to be a surrogate for Jax and his wife and the procedure didn't go the way it was supposed to. She and Jax never had sex; she was not trying to have a baby with him. Sonny currently has four living biological children and one illegally adopted child. If the children from having sex with Lily, Claudia and Carly had been born and Morgan lived, he'd have nine children now (unless Lily's pregnancy turned out to be twins - I think she was early in the pregnancy when she got blown up). If Carly's pregnancy from the hate sex with Sonny had not resulted in a miscarriage and Morgan didn't get blown up, she would have five children from hook ups and marriages. 

Sonny only has Kristina, Avery, and Donna right now but it would still be 9 total since you left off his mid with Sam. Also, Carly has been pregnant 6 times. There was that WTD pregnancy before Joss after she cheated on Jax with Sonny. The one that she was going to pretend Jason was the father for whatever reason. 

Edited by ffwbe

So I watched GH during the 90s, then ended up taking a long break and coming back to it about a year ago. All these flashbacks had me on YouTube looking up shows during the time I missed.

And I came across this ...

THIS IS AMAZING. I AM DYING.

First, I forgot how much I loved Anders Hove as Faison. Anders Hove as Faison as Beetlejuice, I love even more.

I also really miss Tyler Christopher. And his chest. I hope he gets his shit together.

All these old clips I'm watching are highlighting the fact the last year has been pretty boring in terms of storylines. Where's the fun?

• Love 3

The good old days, when they bothered to dress Robin in nice clothes and style her hair.

One of the worst things about Jason is that he excuses and encourages Carly and Sonny acting like toddlers so that they, like Michael, never have to grow up.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The good old days, when they bothered to dress Robin in nice clothes and style her hair.

One of the worst things about Jason is that he excuses and encourages Carly and Sonny acting like toddlers so that they, like Michael, never have to grow up.

I know he was in pain, but I loved Jaysus yelling at the SheBeast. Those moments gave me such joy.

• Love 2
On 4/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, ffwbe said:

Sonny only has Kristina, Avery, and Donna right now but it would still be 9 total since you left off his mid with Sam. Also, Carly has been pregnant 6 times. There was that WTD pregnancy before Joss after she cheated on Jax with Sonny. The one that she was going to pretend Jason was the father for whatever reason. 

Don't forget Dante. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

WHO NEVER MET OSCAR OR KIM OR DREW.

Sorry for the all caps, but that was such a cheap emotional manipulation for me. We already had the entire town (or so it seemed) moaning about how Oscar died too young; we have to get long-dead great-grandparents involved, as well?

In this case, I was OK with it and I know that a lot of other people were too. The idea was that Lila/Edward were watching over the Qs and future Qs from above and welcoming any and all into the fold. That is what made it powerful for so many people.

I understand the symbolism. That doesn't make the sentimentality any less cheap and manipulative, IMO.

Taking this to the history thread, as it's O/T here.

ETA: Another reason this bugs me is that Oscar never really earned his place in the Qs. He simply wasn't on the show long enough, IMO. Then they have Lila and Edward bring him into the fold, as if that's going to do it. It didn't, not for me.

Edited by dubbel zout
Sorry about the formatting
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Another reason this bugs me is that Oscar never really earned his place in the Qs. He simply wasn't on the show long enough, IMO. Then they have Lila and Edward bring him into the fold, as if that's going to do it. It didn't, not for me.

It didn't work for me, either. And I also felt it was unearned. Not only that, but I resented how they tried to make Mini-SheBeast and Oscar into Stone and Robin II. THAT relationship can never, ever be replicated. Not only that, but we got to know Stone as a character before he and Robin ever got involved, And even after they did, he was still his own person outside of Robin, and so I, at least, was invested when he was diagnosed with AIDS. And that story line just broke my heart. Time and effort was spent on crafting that story, and all the actors brought it.

11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I get that he didn't for you, and I know he didn't for a lot of people, but I liked the idea that symbolically Lila and Edward *are* watching over the Qs. And that is why it worked for me and I remember the comments the day the episode aired. This place is pretty anti-GH, but yet there were a LOT of positive comments, so it certainly worked for enough people.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, driver18 said:

This place is pretty anti-GH,

I started watching this soap in the late '70s.  I feel a lot of love for this program on this board and have witnessed thoughtful and artful dialogue herein.  Can't (and don't presume) speak for anyone else, but I feel that the mob hijacked this program and it needs to return to its medical roots.  There is no way that I would have been able to rationalize/understand what happened to this soap during the '90s and '00s without the good folks on this board.  I want this soap opera to be around when I am done and gone and I think that most people here want the same.  It just seems to have taken a wrong turn but has the ability/capability to right the ship and put it back on its original course.  YMMV.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, sunnyface said:

I started watching this soap in the late '70s.  I feel a lot of love for this program on this board and have witnessed thoughtful and artful dialogue herein.  Can't (and don't presume) speak for anyone else, but I feel that the mob hijacked this program and it needs to return to its medical roots.  There is no way that I would have been able to rationalize/understand what happened to this soap during the '90s and '00s without the good folks on this board.  I want this soap opera to be around when I am done and gone and I think that most people here want the same.  It just seems to have taken a wrong turn but has the ability/capability to right the ship and put it back on its original course.  YMMV.

Your history with GH has nothing to do with the fact that anyone coming on to this forum is going to see a pretty hefty anti-GH sentiment. I wasn't expecting you or anyone else to excuse it. I certainly don't like how the mob has taken over the show. I loathe Sonny with a thousand fires; he's my least favorite soap character of any soap I've watched and I've watched every soap opera for a period of time since the mid-80s.

I'm not speaking for anyone else. I'm stating a fact. This forum shows an anti-GH sentiment right now. Period. The overall satisfaction level for the show as expressed by the general mood of this forum is not a positive one. And this is obviously not the only place. GH has issues. Your comment *exactly* expresses my "anti-GH" sentiment exactly. We all obviously love something about the show or we wouldn't be here, but many are "anti" about the show right now.

My point was that despite that attitude about the show right now, that particular episode re: Oscar's death was good enough that shone through the sucktitude.

I'm with @dubbel zout, the show trotting out Edward and Lila's ghosts to try and get us to care about Oscar's death - after he spent 85% of his on-screen life as Joss' boyfriend - rubbed me the wrong way.  They know that the Q's are still an emotional touchstone, even as they are constantly undercutting non-mob members of the family, and pressed that button quite purposefully re: Oscar.  

• Love 5
(edited)

THIS is what's missing from Hack!Frank's Nurses Ball: The HEART and non-cheesiness factor. When the night is about AIDS/HIV and how many it affects.

And dammit! The Jaysus I liked before he went full-bore blink-blink. And cameos from Port Charles' cast!

And when Jax still had most of his Aussie Accent!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

I know kidnapping is a standard soap trope but has the current Weber family experienced more than kidnappings that usual for a soap family? Liz has three boys and by my count Cam has been kidnapped twice (within a span of less than six months), Jake twice, and Aiden once.  Am I missing any? No wonder Liz is strict about her kids checking in. 

This may be old (my not remembering seeing it here means nothing), but I was reading some news and saw that the actress Alicia Arden, who has made assault allegations against Jeffrey Epstein, had a GH stint among her credits. I remember her character, Theresa Carter. She only appeared in flashbacks as Rick Webber's mistress, accidentally killed by teen Laura, in GF's woeful 2002 exit story.

I started watching GH somewhere around 97, after Liz's rape. Since I was a teen myself I was most interested in her storyline and Lucky's (JJ's Lucky during those years was by far my favorite soap character ever). I actually had to buy some episodes on VHS at the time, because I missed the episodes of the dance and Lucky finding her in the park. But to this day, I had never seen her actual entrance Port Charles, and was amazed to find almost everything is available on youtube. I have been watching late 1996 episodes, which are ridiculously fun and also ridiculous. Why she thought planting condoms in Sarah's bags or stealing test papers would help Lucky fall for her is beyond me, but what a fun character, and also a really sad one. She was never a "bad girl" she just felt abandoned by her family and alone in the world.  I feel like the show has never truly addressed her parents abandonment.  

Those 1997-1999 episodes were amazing, even on rewatch they hold up incredibly well. Fifteen year old JJ acting circles around some of the adults around him with really difficult material for a teen.  And I have so much affection for Becky's Liz, and all she went through. What impresses me most is how good the dialogue was on a daily basis.  At the time, a lot of fans were annoyed that Lucky was talking back to Luke (and later Laura) and hurting them, and I of course at the time was on his side, since I was also a teen and felt he was justified. Twenty years later and I still do! But the dialogue they gave all of these characters, to express their hurt and anger and love, was just beautiful back in the day. 

Were the early 90's this good? Since so much is available I'm thinking about going back even further. I never saw the original Sonny/Brenda storylines, or Emily coming to PC or even the BJ/Maxie heart storyline.  Wish they'd air some of that, but I'm happy to watch it wherever I can. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, racked said:

At the time, a lot of fans were annoyed that Lucky was talking back to Luke (and later Laura) and hurting them, and I of course at the time was on his side, since I was also a teen and felt he was justified. Twenty years later and I still do! But the dialogue they gave all of these characters, to express their hurt and anger and love, was just beautiful back in the day. 

Luke deserved everything Lucky said to him, but he was quite cruel to Laura. He literally suggested to her that she had to be raped or kidnapped to feel important!

I didn't mind, though. I mean, I did, because I loved both Lucky and Laura and hurt for them both, but I thought it was good writing and true to character. Of course Lucky was angry and confused and felt as if he'd been lied to all his life about his parents' Great Love. And he had the true Spencer trait of being absolutely vicious when lashing out. Luke, Bobbie, Carly, Lulu (JMB version) are all like that, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I really hated Lucky lashing out at Luke and, especially, Laura. How his parents dealt with what happened between them years before he was born was none of his business. I get that this was a way to have the scales fall from Lucky's eyes and have him realize Luke and Laura were flawed human beings like everyone else, but Laura really got the brunt of his anger in the most horrible way. I know, Luke was the one Lucky idolized, so his fall from grace was higher and more painful for Lucky, but that shouldn't have had to come at Laura's expense.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I really hated Lucky lashing out at Luke and, especially, Laura. How his parents dealt with what happened between them years before he was born was none of his business. I get that this was a way to have the scales fall from Lucky's eyes and have him realize Luke and Laura were flawed human beings like everyone else, but Laura really got the brunt of his anger in the most horrible way. I know, Luke was the one Lucky idolized, so his fall from grace was higher and more painful for Lucky, but that shouldn't have had to come at Laura's expense.

No one will convince me this was Guzasshole or Phelps' or whoever wouldn't let Genie take the time off she needed, and was a way to punish her, by having Laura bear the brunt of it all.

2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm not the conspiracy theorist you are, GHSR, but Laura bearing the brunt of Lucky's anger was certainly sexist, at the very least. Nothing changes, sigh.

Heh. I'm only a conspiracy theorist when it comes shit stories for Laura and Robin.

• LOL 1

My own conspiracy theory is that Lucky being written as a deadbeat dad [EXPLETIVES REDACTED] was a punishment/revenge for Jonathan Jackson leaving and refusing to come back except for very limited stints, as well as his dissatisfaction with the writing. While I think the writers more often take their frustrations out on actresses, something about that feels very...pointed

• Love 2
Just now, Melgaypet said:

My own conspiracy theory is that Lucky being written as a deadbeat dad [EXPLETIVES REDACTED] was a punishment/revenge for Jonathan Jackson leaving and refusing to come back except for very limited stints, as well as his dissatisfaction with the writing. While I think the writers more often take their frustrations out on actresses, something about that feels very...pointed

YES!!!!!!!

(edited)
4 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Luke deserved everything Lucky said to him, but he was quite cruel to Laura. He literally suggested to her that she had to be raped or kidnapped to feel important!

I didn't mind, though. I mean, I did, because I loved both Lucky and Laura and hurt for them both, but I thought it was good writing and true to character. Of course Lucky was angry and confused and felt as if he'd been lied to all his life about his parents' Great Love. And he had the true Spencer trait of being absolutely vicious when lashing out. Luke, Bobbie, Carly, Lulu (JMB version) are all like that, too.

Oh, ER version does that too. Whether she delivers it as well is another thing.

Lucky was a brat and people complained about that but how weird would it have been if he just said, "okay mom. There's nothing crazy about you marrying your rapist for 20 years. None of my business. I won't say anything."

I remember re-watching and one line Lucky said I said oh shut up Lucky. He said something like he knew what it must have been like for Laura because he knew what it was like for Liz but then Luke was like hold up you have no idea about anything.

@racked Your timeline is a teeny bit off, all Liz's schemes were in '97.

I don't think Laura got the brunt at all. There was just the one scene he went off on her but otherwise he mostly just didn't say anything to her. Probably one of the nastiest things he did was to play "Rise", and that he did for Luke.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

There was just one terribly brutal scene with Laura, which is even now difficult to watch (in the best way). So much pain and anger from Lucky and so much shock and hurt on Laura's side. But such brilliant writing and acting! I had been a loyal Guiding Light viewer at the time, which also had some great acting but really suffered on the writing front IMO during that period, and I was very impressed by GH's writing. How quickly it all went downhill!

I always saw this through Lucky's eyes, and even now it's hard for me to see it any other way. He was raised to idolize his parents, especially Luke, and to view Laura as this perfect object to be adored and protected. In re-watching the months before these scenes, there were SO many cases of Lucky defending Luke in absurd ways. Luke had kept Carly's real identity from Bobbie Spencer, and she was was rightfully angry at him, but Lucky had to jump in and defend his father as absolutely justified. It's just one example that sticks out to me, how Lucky was all in on being a Spencer, and Luke's perfection and Luke and Laura's fairy tale love story.  It was akin to losing his religion, which had already been ebbed away at with the reveal of Nikolas. And for Nikolas to be the one to tell him about the rape, and for him to know that Nikolas could only know because Laura had told Stefan...so many layers of betrayal for him to sort through. I don't think he had the right to seek anyone out to be abusive, but he also didn't do that much. It was them coming after him and telling him he had to right to feel the way he did. 

Laura's absence for most of the storyline was really a shame though. I saw an interview with Genie where she expressed that feeling as well, but she then went on to say that they should have consulted her about her thoughts on it because she felt Laura had only claimed it was rape because she felt guilty about cheating on Scotty. I had a moment of "Yikes!" when I saw that interview.  

@racked Your timeline is a teeny bit off, all Liz's schemes were in '97.

I don't think Laura bore the brunt at all. There was just the one scene he went off on her but otherwise he mostly just didn't say anything to her. Probably one of the nastiest things he did was start to play "Rise", and that was for Luke.

Ah thanks for the correction. She was an adorable teen, honestly. The high school scenes were hilarious. 

Yes, that was particularly cruel of Lucky. He really could be devastatingly cruel, and JJ played it as very detached and cold, which seemed to drive Luke to madness even more. 

Edited by racked
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I don't think Laura bore the brunt at all. There was just the one scene he went off on her but otherwise he mostly just didn't say anything to her. Probably one of the nastiest things he did was start to play "Rise", and that was for Luke.

That was the karmic punishment and Luke deserved it because again, he raped Lucky's mother and Luke lost his hero's status that Lucky had elevated him to do. I don't think that Lucky has never been as disappointed or as angry at Luke until Luke's drunk driving and seemingly killing Jake.

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, racked said:

I started watching GH somewhere around 97, after Liz's rape. Since I was a teen myself I was most interested in her storyline and Lucky's (JJ's Lucky during those years was by far my favorite soap character ever). I actually had to buy some episodes on VHS at the time, because I missed the episodes of the dance and Lucky finding her in the park. But to this day, I had never seen her actual entrance Port Charles, and was amazed to find almost everything is available on youtube. I have been watching late 1996 episodes, which are ridiculously fun and also ridiculous. Why she thought planting condoms in Sarah's bags or stealing test papers would help Lucky fall for her is beyond me, but what a fun character, and also a really sad one. She was never a "bad girl" she just felt abandoned by her family and alone in the world.  I feel like the show has never truly addressed her parents abandonment.  

Just FYI: Liz's first day was on August 1st, 1997, the rape occurred on Valentine's Day 1998. So she wasn't there yet in 1996. :) 

ETA: Others got there first! :P 

Edited by UYI
17 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm not the conspiracy theorist you are, GHSR, but Laura bearing the brunt of Lucky's anger was certainly sexist, at the very least. Nothing changes, sigh.

I agree. I understand him, on some level, feeling more anger for her than for Luke, if only for his confusion over why she actually fell in love with him and married him (even if not doing so literally means Lucky wouldn't exist), but there was SO much slut shaming on his end and it felt REALLY gross. Her decision over how to handle her rape may not have been the typical reaction most rape victims have (understatement of the century, I know), but at the end of the day, she was still a rape victim, and it was HER decision, and her decision alone.

One scene I do like is before Lucky finds out for sure what happened, and he goes to meet Scott, and asks him point blank. Scott, to his credit, puts aside whatever (rightful) anger he has for Luke, and while he doesn't deny it, he says it's not his place to tell Lucky anything, showing respect for Laura and her son. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No one will convince me this was Guzasshole or Phelps' or whoever wouldn't let Genie take the time off she needed, and was a way to punish her, by having Laura bear the brunt of it all.

It would have been Wendy Riche and Guza there in 1998; JFP didn't start as EP until 2001, and at the time Megan McTavish was headwriter; Guza (and Pratt) didn't return to write until a year after that. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, nilyank said:

That was the karmic punishment and Luke deserved it because again, he raped Lucky's mother and Luke lost his hero's status that Lucky had elevated him to do. I don't think that Lucky has never been as disappointed or as angry at Luke until Luke's drunk driving and seemingly killing Jake.

Side note: How fucking WEIRD is it that a song--in this case, Herb Alpert's "Rise"--went to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 because of a rape scene. It was already doing pretty well, but when JFP (then the musical supervisor at GH; maybe she should have kept that job, she actually seemed to know what she was doing there) picked it for that scene, it took off. Just...yikes.

And while it's possible that Herb Alpert just saw the success of his song and thought, "Ka-Ching!", I wonder if he ever had an issue with the way it used/became popular. 

17 minutes ago, UYI said:

One scene I do like is before Lucky finds out for sure what happened, and he goes to meet Scott, and asks him point blank. Scott, to his credit, puts aside whatever (rightful) anger he has for Luke, and while he doesn't deny it, he says it's not his place to tell Lucky anything, showing respect for Laura and her son. 

I remember being surprised they gave Scott that much grace, given how he'd been reduced to growling "Grr, Spencer!" all the time. I know it was more to protect Laura, but the show rarely passed up an opportunity for Luke and Scott to snipe at each other, even by proxy, as it were.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I remember being surprised they gave Scott that much grace, given how he'd been reduced to growling "Grr, Spencer!" all the time. I know it was more to protect Laura, but the show rarely passed up an opportunity for Luke and Scott to snipe at each other, even by proxy, as it were.

It has been a REAL missed opportunity on the show's part to not truly explore Scott's pain in a tasteful, sympathetic way--the loss and confusion a man must feel to know that his wife prefers her rapist to him, and how that must have damaged his own sense of manhood. Obviously I know Gloria Monty was never going to do that, given how he was thrown under the bus to lift up Luke & Laura, but I think Claire Labine would have ROCKED a story like that--but alas, Kin Shriner left the show shortly after she'd arrived in 1993.

And I do think Kin would bring it/have brought it if given the chance. His finest hour was as he held Dominique when she died. Heartbreaking. 

• Love 3
(edited)

One more thing:

40 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Well, Scott was headlining the spin off show Port Charles by then, so this was just a brief crossover appearance for him, meaning GH's writers probably had PC's writers on their ass not to pull anything shady, lol.

(And while Guza was headwriting GH by then, Wendy Riche DID seem to stay on him to keep him from pulling fast ones, too.) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

One more thing:

Well, Scott was headlining the spin off show Port Charles by then, so this was just a brief crossover appearance for him, meaning GH's writers probably had PC's writers on their ass not to pull anything shady, lol.

(And while Guza was headwriting GH by then, Wendy Riche DID seem to stay on him to keep him from pulling fast ones, too.) 

Scott did get that moment of putting Luke in his place around this time, when Luke tried to talk to Eve (who Scott was dating). I think this was on Port Charles and not GH, but you all are better with the history and exact dates than I am so correct me if I'm wrong! I can't remember what the convo was about, but Luke, in Luke fashion said to Eve "Eve, I don't know you from Adam" and Scotty jumped in to snarl at Luke to stay away from her.  It was right around the time of the rape reveal and Lucky and Scott's conversation, so the implication was that Scott didn't trust Luke around women still. 

I think Eve was later revealed to be a serial killer. Gotta love soaps!

2 hours ago, UYI said:

It would have been Wendy Riche and Guza there in 1998; JFP didn't start as EP until 2001, and at the time Megan McTavish was headwriter; Guza (and Pratt) didn't return to write until a year after that. 

Like I said, "or whoever was in charge"

27 minutes ago, racked said:

Scott did get that moment of putting Luke in his place around this time, when Luke tried to talk to Eve (who Scott was dating). I think this was on Port Charles and not GH, but you all are better with the history and exact dates than I am so correct me if I'm wrong! I can't remember what the convo was about, but Luke, in Luke fashion said to Eve "Eve, I don't know you from Adam" and Scotty jumped in to snarl at Luke to stay away from her.  It was right around the time of the rape reveal and Lucky and Scott's conversation, so the implication was that Scott didn't trust Luke around women still. 

I think Eve was later revealed to be a serial killer. Gotta love soaps!

Nope. It wasn't Eve. It was Julie Devlin. She was dating Joe's brother, Frank Scanlon.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Like I said, "or whoever was in charge"

Sorry, the Trivia Queen in me jumped out at that moment and got carried away, lol. 

In addition to the scene with Lucky and Scott the one with Lucky and Stefan was great too. I wish these two had more scenes, but it makes sense that they didn't, because neither was the type to seek each other out just to goad each other. It reminds me of what Lucky said to Helena when JJ returned. Helena tried to start sparring with Lucky and Lucky just replied I'm not my father, I don't like exchanging barbs with you, and I'll kill you or put you in prison if you do anything.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Helena tried to start sparring with Lucky and Lucky just replied I'm not my father, I don't like exchanging barbs with you, and I'll kill you or put you in prison if you do anything.

I really appreciated this. It fit that Helena would mess with Lucky to mess with Luke, but there wasn't any reason for Lucky and Helena to engage in that weird psychosexual banter mess that Luke and Helena did.

• Love 4

I appreciated it because usually a character tries to exchange one liners, psychosexual or not, and Lucky just said, nope. My reaction during those types of scenes is usually "why is so-and-so indulging the psycho?"

• Love 3
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Nope. It wasn't Eve. It was Julie Devlin. She was dating Joe's brother, Frank Scanlon.

You’re right! Julie with the great hair who went on to Gilmore Girls. 

58 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

Julie the crazy girl with the hair who was the bio mom of  Scotty, Lucy, and Kevin's daughter who may or may not exist anymore.

Who shares the same name as Alexis' daughter, but uses a different spelling. (Christina: Julie/Frank/Scott/Lucy/Kevin's daughter--yikes! Kristina: Alexis' daughter.)

On 7/9/2020 at 5:35 PM, dubbel zout said:

I recall him getting in some brutal digs at Luke's expense, though. I think the different ways Geary and Francis played the reactions made his treatment of Laura seem more lopsided. 

I thought it was good writing because we were seeing the flaws of Lucky himself as he moved into adulthood. He could be very cold and superior, and downright vicious when someone he had put on a pedestal tumbled off. It linked up well with the 2010 scenes with Liz when he found out about her affair with Nikolas, which I know some people were cheering on, but I found really ugly and cruel. Yet...in character, and undeniably well acted. 

The problem is, we had those two interim Luckys who seemed to have little to do with Jonathan's. They weren't cerebral. They weren't especially tech-savvy. I guess they were "emotional," but only in the sense that every character on a soap is emotional. It's hard to picture the JJ version doing and saying the same things. 

@racked, I'm right there with you in loving late-'90s GH. It started to slide about halfway through 1999, when we had an influx of meh new characters (Juan, Chloe, Hannah), returns that few people had been panting for (Roy DiLucca), exoduses of popular actors/characters, bad recasts (Coltin Scott Martines's Nik), and Sonny and Carly started to devour the show. But it was a great run for the few years leading up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

It's so weird how reactions can shift over time. I just watched a random episode from 1995 on YouTube and I was surprised by my reaction to Stone and Robin. He was comforting her after Sean was shot and all I could think was "that grown man needs to get his hands off that little girl." Not what I expected! I don't recall having any trouble buying Michael Sutton as a teen at the time, of course I was barely a teen myself back then.

Then Stone assured Robin nothing tragic would happen to them and, oof. That's what I expected, heh.

Other things: I forgot what a weasel Tom Hardy was. He nobly offers to give up his side piece if Simone will chuck her whole life and uproot her child to go back to Africa with him! And seems deflated when she informs him that, yes, in fact, she has been faithful to him while he was gone! Felecia Bell is so pretty and not as wooden as I remember. Also, wee Amber Tamblyn very early in her run - Monica and Alan are in Arizona and Paige isn't dead yet. Bobbie and Tony being rather painfully tentative with each other - this must be post-BJ's Death/Damian Smith Affair and pre-Carly. Tiffany (who is pregnant with who I assume will be Anna Donely) is killing it with her grief and fear over Sean. It's not gray, but I hate the pinkish-beige color of the hospital sets.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, Melgaypet said:

It's so weird how reactions can shift over time. I just watched a random episode from 1995 on YouTube and I was surprised by my reaction to Stone and Robin. He was comforting her after Sean was shot and all I could think was "that grown man needs to get his hands off that little girl." Not what I expected! I don't recall having any trouble buying Michael Sutton as a teen at the time, of course I was barely a teen myself back then.

Then Stone assured Robin nothing tragic would happen to them and, oof. That's what I expected, heh.

Other things: I forgot what a weasel Tom Hardy was. He nobly offers to give up his side piece if Simone will chuck her whole life and uproot her child to go back to Africa with him! And seems deflated when she informs him that, yes, in fact, she has been faithful to him while he was gone! Felecia Bell is so pretty and not as wooden as I remember. Also, wee Amber Tamblyn very early in her run - Monica and Alan are in Arizona and Paige isn't dead yet. Bobbie and Tony being rather painfully tentative with each other - this must be post-BJ's Death/Damian Smith Affair and pre-Carly. Tiffany (who is pregnant with who I assume will be Anna Donely) is killing it with her grief and fear over Sean. It's not gray, but I hate the pinkish-beige color of the hospital sets.

The irony being that the show held off on pairing J&R because of the age difference between Steve & Kimberly, and yet MS was even older than SBu was! So strange. 

And yes, 1995 was post-BJ, pre-Carly (although there was that weird almost affair between Alan & Bobbie--yikes), and Tiffany was indeed pregnant with Anna Donely (whose name was guessed by certain fans for years before actually being confirmed--Robert & Holly fans in particular would have an issue with that until it was officially recognized as canon in 2013). 

• Love 1