Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 8-10: The Post College Years

• Start Topic

Ugh. I don't know why I continued to watch this show obsessively all the way through to the end but I did. The post California University years were so bad, and hilarious, and just terrible. I love it. I know I'm giving mixed messages but that's 90210 fandom. 

• LOL 1

They were terrible in many ways, but I try to look on the bright side....we get to see David bloom into his hotness! :) They were all actually looking pretty good by season 10. Steve finally got a decent haircut, and Donna looked great in her dark hair. (I still think Tori should've kept that look.)

I have mixed feelings on Brandon's last episode.  I didn't want him to leave; I actually still like the character despite how preachy he could be. But I think they did a nice job with his exit. (The exception being his monologue about his first day of school at West Beverly. FALSE! Go back and watch the pilot, writers!)  But his scenes with Kelly were lovely, and don't tell anyone, but I still cry every stinkin' time I see him drive away while "Nightswimming" plays. The Walshes were the heart of the show for me, so it was sad to see the last one leave.

The only other positive from those later years was Steve and Janet. But my enjoyment of their storyline was tempered by the awfulness that was Dylan and Gina. What a thoroughly unpleasant relationship to watch.

• Love 5

Not even my Vanessa Marcil love could save Gina for me. It seemed like they were trying for a Val 2.0 but missed, boy did they miss.

The post college years are a mixed bag for me. I loved Steve/Janet, I loved Donna/David finding their way back to each other (as rushed as it was), and I agree that Tori never looked better than she did what her dark red hair, she should definitely go back to that look because her hair in that reality show? Good grief!

This era was full of mostly misses, though, you could tell the writers were out of ideas, and the only way they could pair people up were to bring in new characters, and aside from Janet, those new characters were duds. Kelly and Matt were criminally dull. Although I think I was one of the five people who didn't mind Camille and never understood why Kelly was so bitchy towards her.

• Love 1
I think I was one of the five people who didn't mind Camille and never understood why Kelly was so bitchy towards her.

I must admit I never was one of those five people, but I still think Kelly shouldn't have been so bitchy. I get that in the end of Camille's run Kelly was on Donna's side in the whole David mess, although Donna's actions toward Camille weren't exactly great. But Donna and Kelly had been friends for over ten years at this point, so I get that Kelly stuck by Donna. What I don't get is why Kelly was bitchy to Camille even before that. Camille never did anything bad to anyone, and even if Kelly just didn't click with her, she could have played nice. Then again, I often got a bitchy vibe from Kelly when she was around new girls. She was territorial around her exes new girlfriends (although she did come around to Toni), and she was bitchy with Val and Gina (ok, she tried to be nice to Gina first, but turned bitchy as soon as she could), and even with Clare at first, although that subsided quickly. And the new girls she liked, she mostly tolerated rather than actively befriended, and only at some later point they sort of slipped into becoming friendly (like Janet or Carly). Funnily enough, the only new girls she really embraced in the course of the series were Brenda (and that was mostly because she didn't want to sit next to the overweight girl in lab class) and Crazy Tara.

So I supose her behavior toward Camille was somewhat in character.

I think Donna really changed post college. She cheated on Noah; she had no problem taking David from her own partner, then more or less kicked said partner out of the business altogether; she stole that other girl's designs when she had her back problems; and she maintained this really dull and unhealthy on and off relationship with Noah which essentially consisted of fighting, folding T-Shirts at the shop, apologizing to each other, then fighting again. Oh, and there was cheating, too. She was still portrayed as being positively angelic, but I think she changed a lot. I don't necessarily mind that she did, people change, but I thought it was probably the most palpable character change any of the characters underwent after college. I do, however, think, that it wasn't intentional; the writers still seemed to want pure sweet Donna, but some of their storylines, which in the last three years tended to be erratic and poorly thought out anyway, sort of contradicted that notion.

• Love 3

I didn't mind Camille either, but she just felt like a placeholder until David found his way back to Donna. (Much like Matt was in the Dylan/Kelly relationship.) You just knew in your bones that Camille and Matt didn't stand a chance in the long run, so it was hard to invest in those relationships. But I liked the actress who played Camille, even if (according to Felice) she had that too-short haircut. :) But she seemed grown up and confident, like she maybe even had a life outside of the gang. (GASP!) Maybe that is why Kelly didn't like her! Maybe she refused to dump all her other friends and family and wanted to actually invite them to things and Kelly couldn't have that. Ok I'm just making stuff up now. 

• Love 4

I have mixed feelings on Brandon's last episode.  I didn't want him to leave; I actually still like the character despite how preachy he could be. But I think they did a nice job with his exit. (The exception being his monologue about his first day of school at West Beverly. FALSE! Go back and watch the pilot, writers!)  

I must have been zoning...when I watched this during the reruns or something. What did he say?

GHScorpiosrule, he waxed nostalgic about how he tripped in the hall his first day of school and Donna helped him and took him under her wing and introduced him to everyone, which NO SHE MOST CERTAINLY DIDN'T. 

• Love 4

GHScorpiosrule, he waxed nostalgic about how he tripped in the hall his first day of school and Donna helped him and took him under her wing and introduced him to everyone, which NO SHE MOST CERTAINLY DIDN'T. 

What UTTER BULLSHIT.

• Love 3

Yeah, and it's too bad because it was an otherwise nice scene. Brandon is standing outside of Donna's store reminiscing to Steve and deciding if he is going to leave or not. It could've been a nice moment until they ruined it by making up crap. And then Steve nods knowingly and is all "I remember that." As if all the viewers would think "Hmm, I don't remember his first day at West Beverly being like that, but if Steve remembers, hey, it must be true!" 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's all particularly weird because his first day at West Bev, he did meet two great friends for life: Steve and Andrea. He could have just said that. There was a story there, too. Why make it a story about Donna that we all know didn't happen? It wasn't even a better story than what had really happened. It was just utterly random.

Also, Donna had basically no lines back then. So how could she have introduced Brandon to anyone? By saying "Tee-hee" and standing behind Kelly :-)?

I really don't understand the S9 writers very well. Trying subtly to replace things you thought sucked in the earlier seasons is one thing. Simply telling another, but not superior, story for lack of memory or trying is quite another.

Edited by Marie Claudine
  • Love 3

I always wanted it to be:

Dylan and Brenda

Kelly and Brandon

Donna and David

and I never ever cared what happened to Steve. But, if they were insistent on acting like Brenda didn't exist I'd still prefer Dylan with Val or even stupid Gina. 

• Love 5

David and Donna works for me - although I'm quite relieved they dated other people in between high school and getting married - but I'd want everyone else to wind up with someone outside the old gang.  And not get serious so damn young. 

• Love 2

I always wanted it to be:

Dylan and Brenda

Kelly and Brandon

Donna and David

and I never ever cared what happened to Steve. But, if they were insistent on acting like Brenda didn't exist I'd still prefer Dylan with Val or even stupid Gina. 

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!

• Love 1

Jesse's "He be gone, he be outta here" episode was on today. Yay! It's a funny line but it's also a good scene because of the smackdown he gives Steve. Poor whiny Steve is upset because he can't plan parties anymore. Wah-wah.

Oh, and Andrea looks gorgeous in that episode. Her best look in the college years by far.

• Love 1

Poor whiny Steve is upset because he can't plan parties anymore. Wah-wah.

I can't think of a time that I disliked Steve more. Maybe how nasty he was to Brenda during the Laura stuff? Otherwise he was fairly innocuous.

The post-college years were the hard ones to watch, but I was so invested in the rest of the series that I couldn't let go. 

I remember thinking there was no way that Donna and Kelly could have opened a store like they did though.  I have to think the rent for the space they had would have been astronomical for a start up boutique. 

Matt bugged.  Him and the whole secretly still married and then later the brother's widowed wife who has my biological kid stuff. Bleh. 

• Love 1

Poor Mall Attorney Matt - - he never had a chance once Luke Perry decided to come back. 

I always wondered when Donna made all those clothes she sold at Now Wear This! (hated that name so much)  And did Kelly do anything besides fold shirts and sweaters? 

I think the things I disliked most for the post-CU years were Gina (hated that character so much), Gina and Dylan, Noah's girlfriend's daughter (worst child actress EVER) and the fact that not one Walsh returned for Donna and David's wedding.  Boo.

• Love 1

Yeah, I enjoyed D & D's wedding but that church sure was packed full of a bunch of people we'd never seen before! I was disappointed David's mom was not there. I always thought the storylines with him and his mom were really good, and it would've been nice to see her at the end.

• Love 4

So POP is playing season 8 now and I watched the episodes that dealt with Brandon cheating on St. Kelly with that horrendous sea beast Emma.  Brandon was really a douche to Steve, letting Steve take the blame initially for the affair.  Steve was probably the best friend to all the Hillsters as demonstrated here - - he let St. Kelly berate him while Brandon just stood there and played pocket pool. 

So I feel sorry for St. Kelly because no one deserves to be cheated on but then I want to smack her because who on earth (besides St. Kelly) would go to the other woman's apartment to confront her when it supposedly has nothing to do with you??  She's lucky Emma didn't press charges against her for that slap.  How did she even know where Emma lived?

I liked Carly and I liked Steve with her but they sure did make her bland.  Was it ever explained how on earth she managed to support herself and her son waiting tables at the Peach Pit?  I don't think Nat pays that well. 

Vincent Young wasn't the best actor but he sure was tasty. 

So POP is playing season 8 now and I watched the episodes that dealt with Brandon cheating on St. Kelly with that horrendous sea beast Emma.  Brandon was really a douche to Steve, letting Steve take the blame initially for the affair.  Steve was probably the best friend to all the Hillsters as demonstrated here - - he let St. Kelly berate him while Brandon just stood there and played pocket pool. 

So I feel sorry for St. Kelly because no one deserves to be cheated on but then I want to smack her because who on earth (besides St. Kelly) would go to the other woman's apartment to confront her when it supposedly has nothing to do with you??  She's lucky Emma didn't press charges against her for that slap.  How did she even know where Emma lived?

I liked Carly and I liked Steve with her but they sure did make her bland.  Was it ever explained how on earth she managed to support herself and her son waiting tables at the Peach Pit?  I don't think Nat pays that well. 

Vincent Young wasn't the best actor but he sure was tasty. 

I thought the issue Kelly had with Emma was that Emma was trying to befriend Kelly after she slept with Brandon, which is a whole other issue.  I don't think she would of randomly confronted Brandon's other woman if she didn't already know her.

I thought the issue Kelly had with Emma was that Emma was trying to befriend Kelly after she slept with Brandon, which is a whole other issue.  I don't think she would of randomly confronted Brandon's other woman if she didn't already know her.

Kelly confronted Emma because she was under the impression that Steve was cheating on Carly with Emma.  She went there to berate Emma for sleeping with Steve, not for sleeping with Brandon.  That's why I say that Kelly was confronting Emma on something she assumed had nothing to do with her (Kelly.) 

Kelly confronted Emma because she was under the impression that Steve was cheating on Carly with Emma.  She went there to berate Emma for sleeping with Steve, not for sleeping with Brandon.  That's why I say that Kelly was confronting Emma on something she assumed had nothing to do with her (Kelly.) 

Ok, but doesn't my point still remain?  Kelly was able to confront Emma because she was beginning a friendship with her.  I doubt if Kelly heard that Steve cheated she would of tracked down some random woman.

I've been catching up (again) on these episodes and wow, whoever pointed out Tori's "acting choice" of whisper-talking for all dramatic scenes was so right. All the stuff with David/Noah/Valerie, her pill addiction, budding fashion career, etc., is delivered in this corny turbo-whisper where you can hear every molecule of saliva clacking around in her mouth. I've started fast-forwarding all Donna scenes, in addition to Brandon's talking-with-a-mouthful-of-cereal breakfast brays and anything involving kissing. They really liked to get those mics all up IN the kissing on this show.

Being a 90210 fan with misophonia is my cross to bear.

• Love 2

To me Donna got worse and worse for a while, but by season 10 I started liking her again. They tamed down her look and gave her some nice scenes highlighting her and Kelly's friendship. And of course her and David getting back together was a plus.

Agreed the Noah pairing was bad, and went on WAY too long.

• Love 2

I loved david and donna together, but wasn't crazy about the sped up way they got back together in the very end. I could have used less of her and noah and more of donna and david. As far as who kelly ended up with, I think she was terrible with both brandon and dylan. Her and dylan's whole relationship was about being "soulmates", yet fighting in ever scene they were in together. And her and brandon i just felt had no chemistry whatsoever. I didn't like kelly's character in the later seasons. She seemed way too matronly for her age and always picked at everything that anyone did. I don't know how anyone wanted to be friends wtih her. I just didn't think kelly and brandon were good together. He needed someone more lighthearted

• Love 2

Noah gets a bad rap. He did the best thing ever. He kept Donna away from David. Valerie and David was the best part of Season 8 and he should have went with her to Buffalo. Just let Dylan and Kelly get married in the end and we can deal without Donna.

I don't get Kelly. Brandon cheated on you but she cheated on him with Dylan and basically ditched his marriage proposal.

Tori whispering was the worst and the hair styles.  

On 7/19/2015 at 5:19 AM, AndySmith said:

Don't forget, she and Kelly folded a lot of sweaters too. A lot.

Just saw this today while stumbling around this topic today- On 90210 podcast days, I find myself on these forums-  saw this statement, and had to quote because I laughed out loud for a good ten minutes because that's what I remember from Kelly and Donna's store. This and the stupid name- NOW WEAR THIS! Ew store name, no I won't- and there's like five scenes where Donna or Kelly are folding something of the clothing items or one of them is while the the other walks in or stupid Gina running into the store while Donna folds a sweater and Gina yells at her about something and then Donna has to stop folding the sweater and I'm like thinking, "I wish Gina would shut up, I'd rather watch Donna fold a shirt now"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

gina was the worst character on the show IMO. She just brought nothing positive to those seasons and it really makes no sense that any of them would still talk to her after all the shit she pulled. Sure, Val was a bitch, but there were many scenes throughout Val's run where she was fun, lighthearted and good, and not always woe is me. Gina's character was solely based on being a scheming bitch and her and dylans relationship was forever long and just horrible to watch

• Love 3

I have a girl crush on the actress who played Gina.  The whole storyline with Gina was always weird.  I felt bad for her backstory (neglectful mom/sister of Felice, secret love child of Dr. Martin). And if I remember, she and Dylan were an item when Kelly hooked up with him in Mexico when they were trying to buy drugs for door-matt's secret wife (WTF!?).  After that, it's a blur...

• Love 2
On 8/17/2016 at 10:29 AM, CurlyATX said:

I have a girl crush on the actress who played Gina.  The whole storyline with Gina was always weird.  I felt bad for her backstory (neglectful mom/sister of Felice, secret love child of Dr. Martin). And if I remember, she and Dylan were an item when Kelly hooked up with him in Mexico when they were trying to buy drugs for door-matt's secret wife (WTF!?).  After that, it's a blur...

Totally also have a girl-crush on VM (Gina), but felt she was woefully misused in this show. I wish they hadn't retconned Dr. Martin to be her Dad, because there was no benefit to that story at all, except the one funeral scene that she & Donna shared, after Kelly had basically accused Gina of pushing Dr. Martin too hard. Anyway, you are correct, Gina & Dylan were together when Dylan & Kelly hooked up in their Mexico jaunt to get some type of illegal drugs for Matt's secret wife. However, that gave us one of the best scenes in 90210, and I say this as an unapologetic Kelly-lover: the scene after Gina found out K/D slept together in Mexico, & Kelly went to the bathroom to talk to Gina (& Kel was actually kind of bitchy to her, shockingly).

Kelly: Is there something you want to say to me?

Gina: Yes, there is. (Grabs a lipstick tube & writes "SLUT" on the mirror in the bathroom, puts the cap back on the lipstick and brushes past Kelly without another word).

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Agreed, VM was badly used on the show. Her and Dylan's relationship was awful and the reveal that she was Donna's sister was just stupid. I read something recently where VM said she absolutely hated being on the show, but she did meet BAG and had a son with him so she's thankful for that.

• Love 4

I think I also read that VM hated being on the show. I know that JG had a reputation for being really hard on the new people, but she & TAT got past that & became good friends before their falling-out (I'd still love to know what that was about, & if the rumors of TAT sleeping with JG's then-husband, Peter Facinelli, are true). I'm kind of surprised that they were mean to VM, because I think I remember her & BAG dating right off the bat. I would've thought that would've bought her some niceness from the other girls. 

• Love 1
On 9/17/2016 at 2:37 AM, nkotb said:

Because I think I remember her & BAG dating right off the bat. I would've thought that would've bought her some niceness from the other girls. 

Maybe because they didn't like Brian dating someone else that's not Tiffany? I don't know but that's my guess. 

• Love 1

Just moving this topic up a little bit since Pop is showing these episodes right now. Noah. Ugh. He didn't bother me until his crying scenes started. So, so bad. 

I liked Val and Donna working together as shoppers. Of course Val ends up screwing it up and backstabbing Donna for absolutely no reason. 

Kelly's amnesia plot was soap operish but I actually think they did a pretty good job with it. I liked Kelly and Brandon having dinner on the porch and him telling her about the Spring Dance. It's a sweet scene. 

• Love 3
On 8/24/2016 at 0:56 AM, Petunia13 said:

In what world does Gina look like the someone who is the biological sister of Donna? 

I always thought this was lazy as fuck. If Felice and Gina's mom were sisters, and Gina and Donna had the same dad, they would most likely look similar. My cousins and I all resemble each other, even if we don't look like siblings, you can tell we are related. Add to this that Vanessa Marcil is of Mexican and French-Canadian heritage. I imagine they hadn't planned on making her Donna's sister when they originally cast her.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

Kelly didn't exactly resemble her half-sister either...then again, none of the Walsh kids resembled Jim or Cindy as well.

Kelly's half-sister had a mother who was completely out of Jackie Taylor's gene pool. Donna and Gina were supposedly only a branch apart from the family tree. As for The Walshes-- I don't think anyone thought this show would last long enough to care that these twins did not resemble each other, or their parents, or their cousin Bobby.

Donna and Gina are like night and day . Donna got the shit end of the stick 

but I don't think the casting of the Walshes was bad . I can see a resemblance enough to not be like omg this is ridiculous . The best casting was Kelly and Jackie though . 

steve looks like the dad too . 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, desertflower said:

Just moving this topic up a little bit since Pop is showing these episodes right now. Noah. Ugh. He didn't bother me until his crying scenes started. So, so bad. 

I liked Val and Donna working together as shoppers. Of course Val ends up screwing it up and backstabbing Donna for absolutely no reason. 

Kelly's amnesia plot was soap operish but I actually think they did a pretty good job with it. I liked Kelly and Brandon having dinner on the porch and him telling her about the Spring Dance. It's a sweet scene. 

LOL. Noah and his crying scenes. Just plain awful. Were he and Tori already dating when he got on the show? As in, is that how he got casted? Because yikes. VY was just....not good.

Noah seemed poised to be Dylan lite, but he wasn't. And then when they brought back LP and kept Noah on? Why????

I love me some Val, but I can't sympathize with her choice to screw over Donna because it made no sense. Not that Donna doesn't suck, but it was shitty for Val. At least later this season gives us Val & David 2.0.

Donna and David really sucked as a couple now that I think about it. I enjoyed them as friends. Their moments on the boat in S6 were some of their best, but the minute they got them back together, it all went to hell. 

Oh Brandon and Kelly. What, exactly, were the writers even doing with them this season? They start off with her getting shot and having amnesia, which did lead to some sweet moments. But then Bad Bob Emma comes on and is immediately attracted to Brandon (Why, show, why???) and likewise, he is for some reason infatuated with her to the point of cheating on Kelly, who dumps Brandon when she finds out about his tryst. We're then subjected to episodes of Brandon whining and pining for Kelly. They get back together, however, with a boat load of trust issues. Drama ensues! He proposes, they plan a wedding, and then don't go through with it.

Seems like a whole lot of legwork for something that ended up being nothing. 

• Love 4

Noah seemed poised to be Dylan lite, but he wasn't. And then when they brought back LP and kept Noah on? Why????

Which reminds me, wasn't there an episode where Noah and Dylan get abducted by a woman?