Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: B As In Best Friend

Still homeless, the Huangs move in with Honey and Marvin. Jessica’s dreams come true when she gets a chance to compete on “Wheel of Fortune” during Best Friends Week with Honey. Eddie starts high school and is still on the outs with his pals but finds unexpected sympathy from Nicole. Michael Bolton offers to step in at the restaurant to give Louis more time with his family, but does he have an ulterior motive?

Jessica and her mother in law screaming when she got the Wheel of Fortune letter cracked me up.

I was disappointed (but not surprised) that Eddie was initially so awkward in the car after Nicole told him she might like girls, so I was glad when he got back in the car to talk to her about it. Even though his questions were more for his own curiosity, I think just giving Nicole the opportunity to talk about it with someone openly was a relief to her.

Ha, I KNEW that Evan wouldn't be able to resist the lure of The Baby-Sitters Club!

• Love 6

Yes, the cast is definitely growing up!

Sometimes I forget this is supposed to be set in the 90s. Vanna and Pat looked pretty good!

I thought Eddie's reaction was what one could expect. I remember having a similar reaction when a friend told me something shocking like that - I just walked away to process it, but soon came back to talk to her.

I loved the end of the episode. Honey and Jessica aren't two people you would expect to be friends, and I'm glad they talked it out.  Sweet moment.

I forgot to mention - Honey's reaction seeing Eddie eat the cereal out of a cook pot hit close to home. I grew up with sisters, and I'll never forget the time my tween nephew was visiting and asked if he could have "a snack". He basically did what Eddie did, and I remember being shocked at how much a growing boy can eat!

• Love 4

I don't like Jessica. She has ABC comedy syndrome like a mofo. Rude, over aggressive know it all's that need to learn the same lessons over and over again. I know that could relate a ton of sitcom characters but ABC moms from The Goldberg's to Black ish (Dre's mom) to Speechless and on and on. Its very tiresome.

• Love 4

The kids are growing so much! Holy crap!

The scene with Eddie and Nicole in the car was really good. You could tell that Eddie was confused, but still wanted to be a friend to Nicole. It was a nice moment. 

No kid can avoid the allure of the Babysitters Club in the 90s! No Kid!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I loved the end of the episode. Honey and Jessica aren't two people you would expect to be friends, and I'm glad they talked it out.  Sweet moment.

Honey and Jessica's friendship is my favorite thing about this show. I love how much they love each other. 

• Love 5

The Pat and Vanna interaction (yogurt, etc.) was weird.  I liked that Jessica is so cheap of course she is going to continue to stay with Honey and nickel and dime the man selling the house to death.  I agree with you all - yikes Eddie!  That was some summer of growth.  New voice too.

• Love 1

I watched this before I realized I didn't finish watching last season... no wonder it made no sense to me.

I didn't realize Eddie's voice hadn't changed yet since Emery's changed last year and he's the younger brother.  I wasn't used to Eddie's deeper voice.  

It is a little tiresome to see Jessica treating Honey like that.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Skyfall said:

HOLY GROWTH SPURTS BATMAN!!!

I chuckle as the future Batman on Gotham hit a growth spurt of his own.  But these two shows and the boys on Blue Bloods, I am feeling ancient. 

Ha, I KNEW that Evan wouldn't be able to resist the lure of The Baby-Sitters Club!

I was sort of hoping he would be a Sweet Valley High fan instead. 

• Love 2

I loved the boys discussing ER. They were talking about the second season finale, right? That is when Doug and Carol kissed, right?

I look forward to Nicole taking Eddie to Lillith Fair!!!

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Skyfall said:

HOLY GROWTH SPURTS BATMAN!!!

I know, right?  The character of Eddie was so freaking tall.  And he's probably not done yet.

Loved the grandmother and Jessica scream fest; usually there's so little they share so it was nice to see them excited together.

Glad this show is back. Now just please get rid of the celebrity names on Cattleman's Ranch.  I want it to belong only to Louis.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, fauntleroy said:

Did I hear the girl in the car refer to it as a 'safe space'?

The kid who plays Eddie might already be taller than the real Eddie.

Safe Spaces have been around since well the 90s ?

• Love 2
On 10/4/2017 at 3:45 PM, Robert Lynch said:

They didn't put any thought in that WOF segment with Pat and Vanna. They looked more remotely modern than 90s. Even the puzzle board itself. 

I immediately wondered when Wheel switched from flipover to touchscreen, so I looked it up during the episode: 1997. I think that's the year the show should be in now? So the puzzle board wasn't wrong. Unless there were other visual details of it that changed since besides it being touchscreen.

• Love 3
On 10/4/2017 at 2:32 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was disappointed (but not surprised) that Eddie was initially so awkward in the car after Nicole told him she might like girls, so I was glad when he got back in the car to talk to her about it. Even though his questions were more for his own curiosity, I think just giving Nicole the opportunity to talk about it with someone openly was a relief to her.

My original impression was that his ego had taken a hit that she wasn't really crushing on him, but I agree you're right, he just felt awkward about the topic.  At first.

I liked this episode, like others I really enjoy Honey and Jessica as best friends.  

I was also kind of shocked by Eddie's growth spurt and voice change.  It seems all his friends hit a growth spurt too. I guess that's appropriate for high school.

It really seems they didn't even try to make WOF look retro, but it was still enjoyable.

Eddie and Nicole look the same age now. I noticed chemistry too and thought the show was setting them up to be a couple now that they don't look awkward/creepy together. I'm glad they're staying good friends who can confide in each other and have each other's backs though.

eta: I forgot to say that the birdhouse cracked me up. Those famous half-moon windows! and "I didn't know you put in doorbells." "I didn't."

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 2
On 10/4/2017 at 11:26 AM, Racj82 said:

I don't like Jessica. She has ABC comedy syndrome like a mofo. Rude, over aggressive know it all's that need to learn the same lessons over and over again. I know that could relate a ton of sitcom characters but ABC moms from The Goldberg's to Black ish (Dre's mom) to Speechless and on and on. Its very tiresome.

The Jessica character is why I stopped watching. She's such an asshole that she ruins the show for me in the same way that the Marie character ruined Everybody Loves Raymond for me. I caught this episode because it came on after The Middle and I figured I'd see if Jessica has become less of an asshole but she hasn't. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Maharincess said:

The Jessica character is why I stopped watching. She's such an asshole that she ruins the show for me in the same way that the Marie character ruined Everybody Loves Raymond for me. I caught this episode because it came on after The Middle and I figured I'd see if Jessica has become less of an asshole but she hasn't. 

Yeah I agree and I'm also not understanding the sentiment that a Jessica and Honey have this great friendship. It's literally the friendship version of every crappy sitcom ever with the clueless husband screwing up or not understanding what he's doing wrong and fixing it at the end. Their friendship sucks imo. She's not always terrible but she's often just tiring to me. I don't find a lot of her actions funny. It's also hard for me to laugh at behavior that would drive me crazy in real life ala Bev in The Goldberg's.

• Love 5
On 10/4/2017 at 2:26 PM, Racj82 said:

On 10/8/2017 at 5:56 PM, Maharincess said:

On 10/8/2017 at 8:19 PM, Racj82 said:

Yeah I agree and I'm also not understanding the sentiment that a Jessica and Honey have this great friendship. It's literally the friendship version of every crappy sitcom ever with the clueless husband screwing up or not understanding what he's doing wrong and fixing it at the end. Their friendship sucks imo. She's not always terrible but she's often just tiring to me. I don't find a lot of her actions funny. It's also hard for me to laugh at behavior that would drive me crazy in real life ala Bev in The Goldberg's.

I agree. They seem to be going out of their way to make Jessica as unpleasant and unlikable as possible. 

She's wrong -- you do thank family when they do nice things for you. But Honey was wrong too -- she knows what Jessica is like, and she should have dropped the southern indirectness and just told Jessica and her family to get out.

• Love 5
On 10/6/2017 at 8:03 PM, possibilities said:

It would be hard to age Pat and Vanna backwards 20 years, so they probably figured they should just go with the current look so as not to call attention to the problem.

This is what I was thinking. Similar to Michael Bolton having his current short hair as opposed to the longer hair he used to sport. 

• Love 1