Type keyword(s) to search

Most and Least Favorite Past Contestants

• Start Topic

I've never liked Terry, and seeing him continually lose during the pre merge and foiled was one of the highlights of that season for me.  Maybe if he had kept stronger players vs dead weight around he wouldn't have had that problem.  I groaned when he came back for SC, but another amusing moment for me was when the first tribe swap occurred, and he and Wentworth were outnumbered on Ta'Keo.  For some reason, he seemed to think he was safe should they go to TC, and would be off one his own, while Wentworth actually stayed behind and made sure to stay a part of the conversations going on.

• Love 6
On 4/28/2017 at 5:30 PM, Oholibamah said:

Mean Asian, Nice Asian,

This is dumb.

It's funny I always see so much commentary about Terry but not much about Aras, one of my all time favourites.  Terry and Aras were like nemeses.  Aras was like Bart Simpson and Terry was like Principal Skinner.  I'll never forget, in the middle of a challenge, Terry arguing about some unfair advantage to Jeff (LOL??) and Aras saying, "Aw, you crying Terry?  Better call the Waaaaaaaaaaambulance."  First of all, apparently this is a common phrase and yet I had never heard it in my entire life, and second of all Aras was so hilariously immature to say that (how ridiculous it is still makes me laugh) and Aras looked like such a kid in that season, especially wearing Cirie's husband's enormously long polo t-shirt.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'll never forget, in the middle of a challenge, Terry arguing about some unfair advantage to Jeff (LOL??) and Aras saying, "Aw, you crying Terry?  Better call the Waaaaaaaaaaambulance." 

That is Top 5 Survivor moment for me. I still laugh just thinking about it!

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is dumb.

I don't disagree, but that's the point: people have a tendency to reduce people on television to simplistic categories, often based on race. I find this more common with Reality TV, but I'm not sure if that's due to editing, casting, or something else about the format. 

That said, I found Michelle and Stacy to be interesting foils to one another throughout Fiji, and both went from strong positions to being on the receiving end of unfortunately-time twists. 

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 2

It bothers me that people are so confident to say such demeaning things about Asian people here, though.  Would you be so bold enough to write Mean Black, Nice Black?  I doubt people would even be bold enough to say Mean White, Nice White.  So why not second guess what you write and remember there are Asian humans that post here too?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It bothers me that people are so confident to say such demeaning things about Asian people here, though.  Would you be so bold enough to write Mean Black, Nice Black?  I doubt people would even be bold enough to say Mean White, Nice White.  So why not second guess what you write and remember there are Asian humans that post here too?

My intent wasn't to condone the nicknames, even though the post was admittedly written in jest to show how some people's brains remember various players, to varying degrees.

I always make an effort to second guess how I approach discussing identity, and that was no different here: using race as a descriptor (based on how someone identifies) can be acceptable in appropriate contexts.

I also make an effort to self-reflect. And, separated from the rest of the list, the descriptions did make me cringe, meaning this wasn't one of those appropriate contexts. 

Thank you for elaborating on your initial post and helping me adjust my thinking. 

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That is Top 5 Survivor moment for me. I still laugh just thinking about it!

Panama was honestly just really funny.  Shane on his Blackberry has to got to be up there for me.  What a interesting bunch of misfits (saying it fondly!)  Another thing I found really funny was Osten's antics in Pearl Islands.  Was there something like he thought he was drowning, but he was actually in shallow water?  (Maybe it's bad of me to laugh at this.)

I've mentioned it before, but after watching Cagayan (after not watching Survivor since like, Season 6?) I got so crazy about Survivor and watched like, 20 seasons in a row.  I was constantly heartbroken by my favourites being voted out, and I had a tendency to bail on every season, somewhere post-merge, unless I thought the season was fantastic.  Panama was the only season where the person I most adored on the season (Aras), seemed to survive every episode and not get voted out, and by golly, he actually WON.  It was crazy.  Obviously Ozzy came close to winning his season, and similar with Woo, but for my favourite to actually win?  So unheard of.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Young Aras was that guy who thinks he's enlightened but is actually super sexist.  Going up to the two older women and saying one of you should volunteer to be voted out as if there wasn't a question.  What a guy.  Everyone but Cirie among the merging Casayans sucked.  Bobby was also cool.  Their dysfunction was hilarious though.

Also, young me is still bitter at the other tribe for booting Misty early.  SO PRETTY.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

Young Aras was that guy who thinks he's enlightened but is actually super sexist.  Going up to the two older women and saying one of you should volunteer to be voted out as if there wasn't a question.  What a guy.  Everyone but Cirie among the merging Casayans sucked.  Bobby was also cool.  Their dysfunction was hilarious though.

Also, young me is still bitter at the other tribe for booting Misty early.  SO PRETTY.

I LOVED Misty, and that was my biggest reason for enjoying Terry and his boys club downfall.  Panama still remains one of my least favorite seasons, and has one of the dumbest tribe divides ever.  Mainly because they kept the divide for one freaking episode, but the older women's tribe probably would have just decimated otherwise.  I did enjoy seeing them almost beat the younger men in the first challenge, however, but they didn't stand a chance.  Misty was strong and would have been loyal.  Strategically not the best.  But better alternatives than Ruth and Dan (didn't he get the nickname Space Ghost or am I thinking of someone else?)  But it's Terry, and clearly he wasn't about keeping strong minded players in the game, even if they would have been better assets.  

However, it did pick up at the merge, even if I would have preferred to see Terry go sooner rather than later.  But him sticking around did provide some comic relief.  One of my favorite crazy Shane moments was when he went on that RC and was able to bum a smoke from a local.  I think he could have died a happy man at that point.  Oh, and seeing his son at the family visit.  I admit I don't get all mushy during the family reward, but how could that not pull at your heart strings.  I will say that, even though I don't care for the season, it definitely had one of more entertaining merges.  And of course, it gave us Cirie.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

But better alternatives than Ruth and Dan (didn't he get the nickname Space Ghost or am I thinking of someone else?)

I don't remember Space Ghost, but for some reason all the guys on his tribe called him Dan Fuego, and I never could tell if that was in an affectionate or a mocking way.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Dan is the guy who kept telling everyone the "very big secret that he should not tell anyone" that he's actually an astronaut, right?

Yes, Dan was the astronaut. If I'm remembering correctly, he even had a music cue for when he would start with the " Don't tell anyone but...."

That whole season was hilarious to me, which is why its probably my favorite. I HATED Terry so was always laughing when Casaya would kick La Mina's butt at challenges even though they were so dysfunctional, and loved all of his plans being spoiled because Cirie was the BOSS! I would have loved a Cirie and Aras finale (I liked their friendship) but I didn't mind Danielle either.

Edited by dkb
when is not one
  • Love 6
(edited)

Most of my favorites and most hated had their debuts by the time of All Stars. I think the focus on idols and other superfluous bullshit has made me less interested in the game, so I am less interested in the people playing it. 

Favorites:

• Sandra. Always. My #1 until the show ends. 
  • Rupert. I really don't care what the message board opinions of him are. I enjoyed watching him every time he played, and I think he's a solid human being off the show.
  • Hatch. Yes, he is ruthless, both on and off the show, but I enjoyed watching him create the template and I never got the feeling of gloating from him that I got from the likes of Mariano. I wouldn't want to know him, but I enjoyed his first season. 
  • Cirie. Just a smart woman. I don't think she'll ever win, though, and it makes me sad.
  • Earl. Savvy dude with a great smile and the know-how to stroke Yau Man's incredible ego. 

Least Favorites: 

• Rudy. His bigotry got a pass from both the show and the fans. Consider how Varner is being viewed vs. how Rudy's stuff about "queers" and never being Richard's friend back home was treated as "lovable curmudgeon". Yuck. 
  • Hantz. The only post-All Star to make my list. He is odious. 
  • Helen. She enabled Heidik and really was the "good soldier".
  • Savage. I hated him even more than Fairplay, and it all goes back to the first vote. Despite Osten being useless (even if illness was the reason), he rallies the He-Men to take out "Skinny Ryan" because he's not a Manly Man. So glad they got screwed by Osten quitting. 
  • Skupin. Pedo piece of shit. 
  • Rob Mariano. I actually liked him in Marquesas, which was the first season I watched live. All Stars destroyed that. It was the glee he took in talking shit in his TH. He even did this to people who were friends off the island, knowing they would have to see it. No wonder Lex didn't forgive him, whatever Lex's own shortcomings.  Rob took their real world friendship, used it for game advantage, then reveled in the glee of having fucked him over. Then, the show setting up RI for him and Hantz. His attempt to turn TAR into Survivor didn't help, either. 
  • Tom Westman. Guilt tripping Ian into giving up and aligning with Katie?  Fuck him. 
Edited by azshadowwalker
Fixed names
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

No wonder Lex didn't forgive him, whatever Lex's own shortcomings.  Rob took their real world friendship, used it for game advantage, then reveled in the glee of having fucked him over.

Which is exactly what Lex did to Ethan earlier in the same season, and would have done to Rob himself.  Lex was pissed that he fell into his own trap.

While I don't dislike him as much as others that came later, Lex and his mohawk of hypocrisy could fuck right off at the time.  Now, though...meh.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Tom Westman. Guilt tripping Ian into giving up and aligning with Lisi? Fuck him. 

When did Tom align with Lisi?  She didn't play till four seasons after him!

I don't blame Rob at all for what he did to Lex.  Lex was a power crazed control freak.  The guy who held a grudge his first season because someone dared vote for him, and proceeded to target that person at the next TC.  He relied on his gut to tell him who it was and was adamant he was correct-except he wasn't.  I don't remember him ever being that sorry for incorrectly targeting Kelly over that, either.  Its why the first AS ranks as one of my least favorite seasons ever, because of petty grudges, power trips, and people forgetting it was just a game and letting the real world get in the way.  Lex doomed his alliance early on by the decisions he made, but they went along with him and were equally to blame for their eventual downfall.

I liked Rob in his first two outings.  He was okay in HvsV, but it definitely seemed to be a humbling experience for him.  I didn't care so much for the Rob and Amber show that followed AS, and RI was basically a sham to just give him the win.  I respected him more as a player his first two seasons, and even during HvsV.  RI erased all of that for me.   Now I cringe at the name and the thought of him ever returning.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Nalan said:

When did Tom align with Lisi?  She didn't play till four seasons after him!

Hit the wrong name. Should have been Katie. I don't know why I always confuse their names. 

3 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Which is exactly what Lex did to Ethan earlier in the same season, and would have done to Rob himself.  Lex was pissed that he fell into his own trap.

I don't remember Lex giving gloating interviews about how stupid everyone was for believing him. But, hey, let's ignore how much Rob enjoyed fucking over his friends, which was the actual, y'know, point I made. You know, when I wrote about how much he reveled in talking about everyone's stupidity during TH--being a dickwad to everyone, including people he claimed were his friends. There was no one he wasn't a piece of shit to behind their backs except Amber. 

Here's the actual quote, in case you don't want to look a couple posts up. 

//It was the glee he took in talking shit in his TH. He even did this to people who were friends off the island, knowing they would have to see it.//

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

But, hey, let's ignore how much Rob enjoyed fucking over his friends, which was the actual point I made. 

I wasn't ignoring that.  I was saying that Lex didn't really have any room to talk, since he did the exact same thing Rob did.  Even if he claims that the difference is that he didn't have a pre-game alliance with Ethan.

And if I recall correctly, Rob actually attempted to be nicer.  The first individual IC was a breath-holding contest and was the first to have two winners, one female and one male.  It was also a two-stage challenge, where the 2 finalists per gender would engage in a contest to unclip buoys along the ocean floor, with the one who got further (or further faster, in the case of a tie) would win immunity.  The finalists were Kathy and Amber for the women, and Rob and Lex for the men.  Kathy beat Amber, then the men did their run.  And I think Rob has said that he tried to throw the challenge to Lex, but Lex was so bad at that stage of the challenge that Rob couldn't help winning, otherwise it would have been obvious he threw the challenge.  (I cannot find a source for this claim, but I swear I've heard it before.   I believe that the full claim was that Rob and Amber were both trying to throw the challenge to Lex and Kathy respectively, but Lex couldn't win for trying.  If I find a source, I will cite it).

If it is true that Rob was trying to throw that challenge, that means he was trying to fulfill his side of the deal and save Lex, albeit in a subtle way.  But between Lex being the head of the other snake, and Rob not wanting to alienate the rest of the majority alliance (Rupert, Jenna L, and Alicia.  Amber would have paid the price at this point, followed by Rob as soon as he lost an IC after that.), Lex was eliminated.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Rob Mariano. I actually liked him in Marquesas, which was the first season I watched live. All Stars destroyed that. It was the glee he took in talking shit in his TH. He even did this to people who were friends off the island, knowing they would have to see it. No wonder Lex didn't forgive him, whatever Lex's own shortcomings.  Rob took their real world friendship, used it for game advantage, then reveled in the glee of having fucked him over. Then, the show setting up RI for him and Hantz. His attempt to turn TAR into Survivor didn't help, either. 

Tom Westman. Guilt tripping Ian into giving up and aligning with Katie?  Fuck him. 

I love this! I am always happy to find a fellow Tom hater because I feel we're pretty rare.

I agree with you about BRob. There have been times I sort of grudgingly like him, but overall he's just such an asshole that I always come back to hating him. I will never not be pissed that they created a season with the sole goal of letting him finally win. If I was him I'd be so embarrassed by that.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I agree with you about BRob. There have been times I sort of grudgingly like him, but overall he's just such an asshole that I always come back to hating him. I will never not be pissed that they created a season with the sole goal of letting him finally win. If I was him I'd be so embarrassed by that.

Honestly, there's a reason nearly no one from any of his Survivor seasons or either of his TAR seasons has kept in touch with him and Amber.  He must be hated (or at least disliked) among those communities, too.

• Love 1

I liked Tom, even though his partnership with the far cuter Ian disintegrated. I don't think anybody could get away with what he pulled off: winning all but two individual immunities, and not getting a vote the times he was vulnerable. Here's a reason to like him: Probst never will. He doesn't like his alpha guys with years on them and silver hair.

• Love 1
(edited)

I never blamed Tom for making Ian jump off that buoy in the FIC.  It was Ian's idea for Tom to take Katie to the final 2!  I think Ian's brain just went to mush when he actually tried strategizing and making moves.  He promised Katie he'd take her on the next reward he won, then turned around and backed out because he won a car (car curse!) and said he promised Tom he'd take him if a car was involved.  Why I don't know, since it's not like Tom would get a car, too.  But Ian was a big boy.  He likely wasn't going to outlast Tom on that buoy anyway, and I always felt him sacrificing a spot in the final 2 and jumping down as a knight in shining armor to Katie was more to save face.  Ian was a nice guy, and he seemed troubled by Katie and tom turning on him.  But, he played a hand, got caught, and couldn't handle the fall out.

I will say that while I still like Tom, my opinion of him changed after watching Palau recently.  So I don't like him as much, and I always take points off when people get irate over someone daring to vote for them.  But he did an impressive run.  They may not have liked his leadership and calling the shots, but I think Koror might have turned out as dysfunctional as Ulong without him otherwise.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
On 5/7/2017 at 9:51 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I never even grudgingly like him, I find Boston Rob to be an obnoxious ass.  Very full of himself and completely insincere.  It pisses me off that they basically let him win on his fourth try (except that hopefully that means he never comes back).

• Love 5

My favorite Survivor player of all time is Cao Boi. He is the inventor of splitting the votes (plan voodoo) and pretty much made fire from the air.

Other favorites would be: Russell H, Boston Rob, Tyson, Tony, Woo, Yao-Man, Bruce, Jeremy, Rupert, Fairplay, Phillip S, Ozzy, Gervase, Jonathan etc.

Least favorite by a country mile is Colton. I never watched his season because I was warned by a friend not to. But I have seen a couple clips from it on youtube and I watched him the 2nd time in Tyson and Gervase's season.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, enlightenedbum said:

Cirie split the votes the season before, for an even more clever reason (to boot the goat).

And you should watch the post-merge of One World because it's the best game anyone has ever played.

Oh ya, I remember that Cirie did that. However, Cao Boi had a dream about splitting the votes, so since Cirie is pretty much a legend of Survivor, can we please give Cao Boi this honor of creating 'plan voodoo'? Plus he did it to flush out the idol, Cirie did not. :)

I might one day. Is the season as bad as advertised though? I don't want to start a season mid-way, if I have to watch a season and watch a persons game play, I want to watch it from episode 1.

Edited by MrYunis
(edited)
5 hours ago, MrYunis said:

Oh ya, I remember that Cirie did that. However, Cao Boi had a dream about splitting the votes, so since Cirie is pretty much a legend of Survivor, can we please give Cao Boi this honor of creating 'plan voodoo'? Plus he did it to flush out the idol, Cirie did not. :)

I think Cirie and Cao Boi are both awesome. I have no problem with reconciling that fact. Cirie came up with the 3-2-1 to blindside someone. Cao Boi dreamt up Plan Voodoo to expose and flush the original HII, which didn't even exist in Cirie's season. I love Cirie for her ability to see opportunities and talk people into them. I love Cao Boi for being himself and showing that there is such diversity even within ethnic groups. 

One of my favorite Survivor discussions was between Yul, Becky, and Cao Boi. Cao Boi wanted to tell jokes that Yul and Becky found offensive because they reinforced ethnic stereotypes. Cao Boi enjoyed telling them. It was so interesting, because I felt like I understood both sides to some degree. To me, Becky and Yul were very aware that there are people who really believe stereotypes and wanted not to feed that in any way. To me, Cao Boi felt it was more important to be able to laugh at yourself, and he'd accepted that there were idiots in the world and wasn't going to let them change him. At least, that's what a white woman got out of watching it. It was something that I might not be able to truly identify with racially, but I can grasp it academically and I identified with in other ways. Things that I might say sarcastically to my brother, for example, that I know will make him laugh, but if someone who doesn't know us overhears... It just sounds bad because they don't understand all the context. (ETA: This isn't exactly the same, and I'm aware of that. But in some ways it feels like there's a category of "things you can say only to certain people or boy, is that shit gonna get misunderstood." How and why and ramifications might vary, but most people have had this realization at some point. I hope.)

5 hours ago, MrYunis said:

I might one day. Is the season as bad as advertised though? I don't want to start a season mid-way, if I have to watch a season and watch a persons game play, I want to watch it from episode 1.

I watched it a long time ago as it aired and haven't rewatched, but I think it's worth a watch. Whether you think it's a good or bad season will likely depend on a few factors, one being how well you take watching the men implode. For me, it's like Cagayan in that they certainly had the ability to do something if they ever got their act together at the same time, but they don't. Part of that is the men themselves, and part of that is the charisma of the eventual winner.

Downsides: Some truly noxious personalities, headed by Colton. He just gets worse and worse. Definitely feel free to hate-watch his ass, possibly with strong alcohol. Alicia should have been bitch-slapped a few times too. Someone surgically removed Christina's spine.

Upsides: If you enjoy watching arrogant people who are dumb enough to segragate themselves and actually SAY things like "We're the alpha males" get taken down hard, it has that. Kim is boss at strategy, social game, and challenges. Sabrina, Jay (once you get past the voice), Mike (was that his name?) were cool. Troyzan ranges from funny to omg, just sit down, dude. Tarzan pontificates with words he misuses at Tribal Council, and his social skills are, um, questionable. (At one point he essentially asks Chelsea if she dislikes him because he's a plastic surgeon and she's angry at her plastic surgeon for her boob job.) Leif is a little person who I believe is a stunt person irl. 

Monica and Jonah are there. 

So there's some good stuff in there. If nothing else, the cast should get some credit for not outright killing Colton. I sure wanted to.

Edited by simplyme
Clarified a point
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, simplyme said:

I think Cirie and Cao Boi are both awesome. I have no problem with reconciling that fact. Cirie came up with the 3-2-1 to blindside someone. Cao Boi dreamt up Plan Voodoo to expose and flush the original HII, which didn't even exist in Cirie's season. I love Cirie for her ability to see opportunities and talk people into them. I love Cao Boi for being himself and showing that there is such diversity even within ethnic groups. 

One of my favorite Survivor discussions was between Yul, Becky, and Cao Boi. Cao Boi wanted to tell jokes that Yul and Becky found offensive because they reinforced ethnic stereotypes. Cao Boi enjoyed telling them. It was so interesting, because I felt like I understood both sides to some degree. To me, Becky and Yul were very aware that there are people who really believe stereotypes and wanted not to feed that in any way. To me, Cao Boi felt it was more important to be able to laugh at yourself, and he'd accepted that there were idiots in the world and wasn't going to let them change him. At least, that's what a white woman got out of watching it. It was something that I might not be able to truly identify with racially, but I can grasp it academically and I identified with in other ways. Things that I might say sarcastically to my brother, for example, that I know will make him laugh, but if someone who doesn't know us overhears... It just sounds bad because they don't understand all the context. (ETA: This isn't exactly the same, and I'm aware of that. But in some ways it feels like there's a category of "things you can say only to certain people or boy, is that shit gonna get misunderstood." How and why and ramifications might vary, but most people have had this realization at some point. I hope.)

I watched it a long time ago as it aired and haven't rewatched, but I think it's worth a watch. Whether you think it's a good or bad season will likely depend on a few factors, one being how well you take watching the men implode. For me, it's like Cagayan in that they certainly had the ability to do something if they ever got their act together at the same time, but they don't. Part of that is the men themselves, and part of that is the charisma of the eventual winner.

Downsides: Some truly noxious personalities, headed by Colton. He just gets worse and worse. Definitely feel free to hate-watch his ass, possibly with strong alcohol. Alicia should have been bitch-slapped a few times too. Someone surgically removed Christina's spine.

Upsides: If you enjoy watching arrogant people who are dumb enough to segragate themselves and actually SAY things like "We're the alpha males" get taken down hard, it has that. Kim is boss at strategy, social game, and challenges. Sabrina, Jay (once you get past the voice), Mike (was that his name?) were cool. Troyzan ranges from funny to omg, just sit down, dude. Tarzan pontificates with words he misuses at Tribal Council, and his social skills are, um, questionable. (At one point he essentially asks Chelsea if she dislikes him because he's a plastic surgeon and she's angry at her plastic surgeon for her boob job.) Leif is a little person who I believe is a stunt person irl. 

Monica and Jonah are there. 

So there's some good stuff in there. If nothing else, the cast should get some credit for not outright killing Colton. I sure wanted to.

Oh I forgot the idol debuted in Cao Boi's season, my bad on that one. However I must admit, if there's someone I think is way over due for a 2nd chance, it's Cao Boi.

I'll give you props for remembering so much from a season that you have only watched once. That there's a dude on there that calls himself Tarzan on there is pretty funny. I googled him. I can at least understand why Troy nicknamed himself 'Troyzan' since he resembles the original Tarzan somewhat. I don't like to judge people in general, let alone people I've never met. So watching Colton play, I would try to find an excuse for him as to why he's behaving the way he is. But then again, hearing the horror stories about him and the small clips I've watched from him in One World, that's enough for me to never visit that season.

• Love 2

I view Colton like I view my ninth grade English teacher. It was a bad experience, but any time I meet someone who went to my high school or had a child who went there or who taught there during the twenty-five years she taught, I have an instant connection with them.

• Love 2
(edited)

Didn't Terry have an idol on Panama?  Actually, I think the idol was first introduced in Guatemala (though I can't remember who had it).

I'll give you props for remembering so much from a season that you have only watched once. That there's a dude on there that calls himself Tarzan on there is pretty funny. I googled him. I can at least understand why Troy nicknamed himself 'Troyzan' since he resembles the original Tarzan somewhat. I don't like to judge people in general, let alone people I've never met. So watching Colton play, I would try to find an excuse for him as to why he's behaving the way he is. But then again, hearing the horror stories about him and the small clips I've watched from him in One World, that's enough for me to never visit that season.

What I most remember about Troyzan and Tarzan is Troy not liking the fact that there was someone else with a nickname ending in 'zan out there.  He wanted to be the only 'zan on his island.  I think that's gracious you're willing to find something likable about Colton, or why he acts like that.  I could never muster the energy.

Edited by LadyChatts
3 hours ago, simplyme said:

Mike (was that his name?) were cool.

Michael stole the women's ax at the beginning, which was part of the reason they suffered in the early goings, and patted himself on the back over it continuously.  He wasn't cool at all.

• Love 2

Cirie's Triple Play and Plan Voodoo are different enough that I feel like we can give them both credit.  Cirie's was probably the more amazing as it depended on getting people to split the vote without knowing they were splitting the vote.  But she didn't use the split-vote to defeat the idol, as Cao Boi conceptualized -- she might have, but she never got the chance because Terry won immunity anyway until it was too late.  The idol-busting split-vote has been a key component of the game, and was clearly not influenced by Cirie's move, so I think Cao Boi deserves a lot of credit for it too.

I am of course biased because I am a huge Cao Boi fangirl.  I agree that the interactions between him and Yul and Becky made for fascinating TV, complicated in all sorts of human ways while being clouded over with the dark haze of white racism which is rarely depicted on TV.  Another reason IMO that they should cast every season like Cooks, which, as I think people will broadly agree, has one of the best, if not the single best cast in the history of the show. 

• Love 9

NaOnka was the first Survivor I thought was truly vile. Looking back, she might not have been as awful as Shannon on the same season, but at least that POS went out first.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, phlebas said:

NaOnka was the first Survivor I thought was truly vile. Looking back, she might not have been as awful as Shannon on the same season, but at least that POS went out first.

NaOnka and Shannon were both vile. They just managed to highlight different facets of it. I say this as someone who just started rewatching Nicaraugua and now remembers that she hates almost the entire cast.

• Love 1
(edited)

Shannon (a him) wanted the women voted off first since women won the last two seasons, and got into a confrontation with Sash at TC where he questioned his sexuality.  He did damage control when he was (thankfully) the second boot, but then at the reunion stood by what he said.

Edited by LadyChatts
On 6/11/2017 at 6:44 PM, LadyChatts said:

Didn't Terry have an idol on Panama?  Actually, I think the idol was first introduced in Guatemala (though I can't remember who had it).

Yes to both. The hidden immunity idol made its debut in Guatemala and it was found by Gary Hogeboom. It was only one of only two times that they never actually showed the person finding the idol (the other was Amanda in FvV) because they wanted it to be a surprise to the viewers at TC on whether the played found it or not.  Terry Dietz found an idol in Panama as well.

29 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Yes to both. The hidden immunity idol made its debut in Guatemala and it was found by Gary Hogeboom. It was only one of only two times that they never actually showed the person finding the idol (the other was Amanda in FvV) because they wanted it to be a surprise to the viewers at TC on whether the played found it or not.  Terry Dietz found an idol in Panama as well.

I remember very little about Guatemala, but I did know that about Panama and just... blanked. How I blanked on that stupid little ugly head, I have no idea. Sorry bout that!

Good news is when you mess up here, someone gently corrects it. Appreciated. :) (Both the correction and the gentleness.)

• Love 3
On 6/11/2017 at 1:21 PM, simplyme said:

Leif is a little person who I believe is a stunt person irl. 

And he slept in a box that came with a reward! And his ex-wife Briana is on Little Women: LA. He appeared on it once.

I want to like Leif so badly. It's a shame he was such a nothing player.

5 hours ago, 303420 said:

And he slept in a box that came with a reward!

The box was better constructed than the shelter.  I'm sure he slept better than anyone else.

• Love 4

I have a terrible memory so there is a lot I don't remember.  And for many years I didn't read bio's and whatnot.  So my likes and dislikes are probably a bit random and more personal based vs best game based. If I did a little memory lane research my list might be different.  

Dislikes

I have a real problem with women who use their sexuality to get ahead.  I realize some people don't but I do.  So I really cant stand Parvati to put it mildly, or the two who got naked.  

Having strong feelings about animal rights I couldn't deal with the one winner, waitress, Michelle?  Because she went to Thailand and did the tiger thing.  And I really couldn't stand the little blond who did the same thing and was soo dumb.  The only reason she was on was her boxer promoter dad is friends with Burnett (I have problems with nepotism too).  Couldn't stand Shirin either, or Zeke. 

Jane that nasty lying dog breeding bitch

Favorites

Hatch. Yes, he is ruthless, both on and off the show, but I enjoyed watching him create the template and I never got the feeling of gloating from him that I got from the likes of Mariano. I wouldn't want to know him, but I enjoyed his first season.  - Agree

Cirie. Just a smart woman. I don't think she'll ever win, though, and it makes me sad. - Agree

Boston Rob - I love a competent person.  You can build things, make fire, lead, be funny etc. I'm gonna be love struck. 

Coach - not sure about his later seasons but he was just such a strange being in so many ways he was mesmerizing.  So many stories, escaping canibals or whatever, what was true?  Who does that?  And the music video was great.  He was mostly good natured, smiling and entertaining TV.  

Yul - sort of boring and I'm not sure the way he played would translate to different groups on different seasons but I like smart people. 

Stephanie - she never quit.  

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 1