Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don’t know about why they might not have started on Matt’s dream home, but I was told that home supplies had increased and were continuing to increase....things like roofing materials, siding, etc.  This was when I got a new roof a couple of months ago. Or, maybe Matt is having second thoughts.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I think if Matt really wanted that house it would be built!  He's up to something!

Some guesses.  Out of money.  Likes being king of the entire castle and land.  Still wants to move into the big house.

Wasn't Matt building a new home because Caryn didn't want to live in Amy's house?I

Caryn has him buying in Arizona and now wants a new house?  That would be three homes on the property.

I can see Matt in the big house and a caretaker in the little house.  Done!

• Useful 2
On 5/12/2021 at 10:08 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve never seen any cheating with an employee on the show, but if anything happened with Matt during the marriage, I would imagine it being more of an emotional affair.  That’s often more intimate than a physical one.  I’m glad that Matt and Amy seem to be with people they seem better suited to be with. 

Of course we didn't actually see the cheating...it was done off camera. Amy found out about their relationship from a note Caryn wrote him that was intimate and clearly not business related. 

• Love 5
On 5/10/2021 at 8:55 PM, Dustbunny said:

because she'd rather sit there and be bitchy 

RUN CHRIS...RUN!!! 🏃‍♂️

I only see her miserable and "bitchy" when she's forcd to be around Matt who seems to relish trolling her and stirring up shit. His whole  "let's rumble" bit was truly pathetic. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I think if Matt really wanted that house it would be built!  He's up to something!

Some guesses.  Out of money.  Likes being king of the entire castle and land.  Still wants to move into the big house.

Wasn't Matt building a new home because Caryn didn't want to live in Amy's house?I

Caryn has him buying in Arizona and now wants a new house?  That would be three homes on the property.

I can see Matt in the big house and a caretaker in the little house.  Done!

Matt will never leave the farm and will never hand it over to Zach. He'll be "training" Zach as a manager but will never fully incorporate him into the business end. Matt is a control freak and anyone that tries to "co-manage" with him is quickly shut down. He will buy things and make changes to the property without consultation...maybe this is why Jeremy didn't want be involved in this. Matt sees he can bully Zach or do stuff behind his back just the way he did with Amy. Caryn is just a useful idiot...and a gold digger.

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:
On 5/12/2021 at 7:08 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve never seen any cheating with an employee on the show, but if anything happened with Matt during the marriage, I would imagine it being more of an emotional affair.  That’s often more intimate than a physical one.  I’m glad that Matt and Amy seem to be with people they seem better suited to be with. 

Of course we didn't actually see the cheating...it was done off camera. Amy found out about their relationship from a note Caryn wrote him that was intimate and clearly not business related. 

BOLDING is mine. Would this little cable show REALLY  feature cheating? If cheating had been shown on the show, ratings would have been through the roof.  I'm a sporadic watcher and even I knew there was cheating.  Matt=cheater, and gleeful.  Caryn= two-faced employee pretending to be friendly with Amy and family while screwing (yes!) Amy's husband.

Caryn's putting in her time--hard time; hope she ends up thinking it was worth it.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I only see her miserable and "bitchy" when she's forcd to be around Matt who seems to relish trolling her and stirring up shit. His whole  "let's rumble" bit was truly pathetic. 

Thanks, BrownBear...I agree.   Apparently TLC thinks Matt's antics are funny ... pretending to shoot her...wanting to rumble.  He gets meaner every season.  Amy's gone, Matt.  Give it a rest!  I'm anti-Caryn, but she's some kind of saint to put up with him.  (Amy: no more Matt invitations. WE don't need the harassment.)

• Love 6

Matt's glee as he went "let's get ready to rumble" makes me think he was delighting in the idea of fucking with Amy to torment her in her own home. Matt clearly still devotes a lot of attention and head space to the ex... to where, no, I don't think Matt has moved on.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Matt's glee as he went "let's get ready to rumble" makes me think he was delighting in the idea of fucking with Amy to torment her in her own home. Matt clearly still devotes a lot of attention and head space to the ex... to where, no, I don't think Matt has moved on.

He really is an annoying asshat. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Was anyone else terrified by Jackson (3 yrs.old no less)  riding that scooter in the street and in front of the neighbors driveways??!!!!! OMG! I was thinking how dangerous it is for a toddler to be doing that let alone a toddler his size...a driver would never see him if they were backing out of the driveway. I swear, Zach and Tori are just the diziest parents I've ever seen. Lilah looks like she has a lot of physical challenges ahead of her...and Jackson too. 

• Love 5

Since Amy is supposed to be so religious and Chris has never been married before, why aren't they getting married in a church? No need to search for a venue OR interact with Matt about it.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Since Amy is supposed to be so religious and Chris has never been married before, why aren't they getting married in a church? No need to search for a venue OR interact with Matt about it.

With respect, this also has costs . If a couple simply wants to be married by a pastor in church, my pastor will do it during our actual church services for free, but if you want the full blown walk down the aisle, bridesmaids, floral decorations, etc, that involves renting the sanctuary as a wedding venue.

Also not putting this one down to "Amy being cheap" or "Amy still secretly in love with Matt and wanting interaction" - at last check, last episode, Amy did not want the farm for her wedding. Frankly, Matt was rather grudgingly offering. This is obviously a TLC production twist.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Amy and Chris should just elope and then have a party afterwards at a place of their choosing. Either before or after their honeymoon. This seems to be the TLC storyline that they are pushing this year. (Wedding on the farm or not) I’m sure they are only going along with it so those paychecks will cash. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Maybe the churches in their area aren't allowing indoor weddings during the pandemic.  Too early to tell what will be available in August.

• Love 3

I suspect a church is what they might chose. Her slip on the live with Lisa when she got excited about “when the doors open” makes me think it’s a church or venue other than the farm or she’s pranking  us!!!

Most churches in our area are having weddings. Limited participation at the church but sizable receptions after at a venue. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Most churches in our area are having weddings. Limited participation at the church but sizable receptions after at a venue. 

Are you in Oregon?

• Love 1
(edited)

From what I found, as of May 5, 2021 there isn’t a specific wedding restriction guideline in Oregon. This is compiled using the general guidelines, and applying them. County risk levels are reevaluated every 2 weeks.

Oregon:

CDD17869-3E17-4FD2-B89C-3B3CF0C9A966.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Also not putting this one down to "Amy being cheap" or "Amy still secretly in love with Matt and wanting interaction" 

HaHA!  Good thing I haven't had anything to eat or drink yet (snort!).  Rather than "love," sometimes I detect a little Stockholm Syndrome.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Was anyone else terrified by Jackson (3 yrs.old no less)  riding that scooter in the street and in front of the neighbors driveways??!!!!! OMG! I was thinking how dangerous it is for a toddler to be doing that let alone a toddler his size...a driver would never see him if they were backing out of the driveway. I swear, Zach and Tori are just the diziest parents I've ever seen. Lilah looks like she has a lot of physical challenges ahead of her...and Jackson too. 

I wondered this too.  I was hoping if this were shot in a cul-de-sac that maybe the neighbors were aware of the filming so wouldn’t come out and move their cars, but if this is how Jackson normally rides his scooter, it’s very dangerous.   Then again we have Zach shoving Tori into a pool while holding Lilah so it’s not like this is the safest bunch.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Maybe Chris isn’t religious. 

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

wondered this too.  I was hoping if this were shot in a cul-de-sac that maybe the neighbors were aware of the filming so wouldn’t come out and move their cars, but if this is how Jackson normally rides his scooter, it’s very dangerous.  

His parents were watching him. Sometimes I feel like parents get judged all ways at once. If they were hovering and jogging along side and not letting him get out of arm's reach, they'd be hovering but the second they aren't within grabbing distance, its all super dangerous. I mean, I think it is a cul de sac, he was being supervised, someone was filming him, and he had a helmet on.

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Was it said on the show that Chris and Amy aren’t getting married in a church?

Not specifically, just that they are looking for a wedding venue. 

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

His parents were watching him. Sometimes I feel like parents get judged all ways at once. If they were hovering and jogging along side and not letting him get out of arm's reach, they'd be hovering but the second they aren't within grabbing distance, its all super dangerous. I mean, I think it is a cul de sac, he was being supervised, someone was filming him, and he had a helmet on.

Not specifically, just that they are looking for a wedding venue. 

I do think it’s dangerous having a kid that small (height and age) zip by driveways, mostly because I don’t know he can be seen while people are backing out and at his age, I don’t know he gets to watch out for moving cars.  Other than that I don’t particularly judge what they do as parents, other than it’s probably not a great idea to push your wife in a pool while she’s holding your infant child or even if she weren’t holding your infant child.  YMMV of course.

• Love 7

I just think he was clearly being supervised.

Not sure why the comment about the stupid pool scene is coming up but apparently it needs to be said that I don't approve of Zach pushing his wife while holding the baby or not. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I just think he was clearly being supervised.

Not sure why the comment about the stupid pool scene is coming up but apparently it needs to be said that I don't approve of Zach pushing his wife while holding the baby or not. 

I’m not sure if this was referring to my pool comment, but I meant we just disagree about about the scooter incident, which is fine since we all have opinions.  I guess I should have put my ymmv after that part.  The reason I brought up the pool part was I was trying to think of the what I think was the only other time I judged them as a parent and I’m not even quite sure that part would qualify as judging the parenting since I don’t think Zach should  have pushed his wife in general, but I thought it was a worse since she was holding a baby.  I brought it up since I said in general I don’t judge them as parents. I wasn’t trying to imply you thought anything about that situation at all, so I apologize if that part came across that way.

• Love 3

Did anyone else catch when Amy and her man were walking the dog and talking that he said they looked up a house Matt had purchased to see if he was really flipping it.  I thought that was interesting.  

• Useful 2

Its a way to find out whats really going on.  Matt and "a straight answer" don't always go along. He likes to tease and drop hints and when it goes no where, he gets to laugh about how stupid people were to think he was doing x, y and z. Look at the property with the three wrecked houses that he was "flipping". All he did was clear the property and then sold it for about what he paid and people still go on about it. Or the house flip he did that took a year. Or the whole rigamorale where buying some chairs turns into "Matt is planning a large money making furniture venture" and then goes back to he just bought some chairs. Considering how the truth and Matt Roloff aren't generally friends, I'd be wary of any tale he told of house buying

Remember - Matt's the guy who bought a house in AZ (from Caryn's parents) in June, and pretended on TV until Christmas that he was still thinking about it. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Its a way to find out whats really going on.

Is this in response to my post about them checking on the house flipping?  If it is why do they have to know what is going on?  Not their business.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Has Amy or Chris mentioned on the show if they will be living in Amy’s house when they get married or buying a new one together?

Why would they do that?  She has customized the kitchen for her height and they have a beautiful back yard.  It wouldn't make sense for her to now sell it and start over.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

If it is why do they have to know what is going on?  Not their business.  

In fairness, its not OUR business either but people here do check Zillow to see Chris's sales, what the houses are selling for, how much Matt got for his flip. If it's not Chris's business to check up on Matt on Zillow and they have a vague work related knowledge of each other, is it really anyone's business? The information is out there, it's public, everyone has the option of going to look. 

Frankly, considering this is during a time where Matt and Amy were likely negotiating a large property sale,(the big house property) as Amy's fiance, it's absolutely Chris's business to make sure Matt's financial position is what he says it is. Nothing wrong with making sure a buyer's financial position is what they say it is. Checking on Zillow is perfectly legal and as I said, I don't think Matt is such an honest person that his word should be taken as holy writ.

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 6

I understand everyone can look at everything it is all public and out there on the internet. “It’s a way to find out what’s really going on” makes it seem like Amy had a real stake in the house flipping.  I disagree about any of this being Chris’s business. Also, it was a simple observation.  I cannot continue to defend every post I make and I won’t.  

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Why would they do that?  She has customized the kitchen for her height and they have a beautiful back yard.  It wouldn't make sense for her to now sell it and start over.

Are we sure about that?  Last time I watched one of her "cooking" videos, it looked like she was still climbing up on step stools to get to the stove.  She does have an island where she does most of the filming, and it is cut down to a better height for her.  But it is freestanding and not an installed countertop.

• Love 5

AzChristian - I think you're right - its the island that was customized. I'd still count that as kind of a big change. I also didn't get the impression they were planning on moving right away. Honestly it seems like a big house for just the two of them.

13 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

AzChristian - I think you're right - its the island that was customized. I'd still count that as kind of a big change. I also didn't get the impression they were planning on moving right away. Honestly it seems like a big house for just the two of them.

Sawing four legs off of a piece of furniture and using it for an island doesn't seem that big of a change to me.  Wouldn't take more than 10 minutes for someone with a power saw and a strong back to do the work and "install" it by carrying it in and putting it into place.

Regarding the size of the house - I suspect they are writing off a big chunk of it as business expenses on their income taxes.  Between Amy's kitchen and pantry and - probably - a home office for Chris to do his realtor stuff, they have some nice tax deductions.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Sawing four legs off of a piece of furniture and using it for an island doesn't seem that big of a change to me.  Wouldn't take more than 10 minutes for someone with a power saw and a strong back to do the work and "install" it by carrying it in and putting it into place.

I would say its a little more involved if you're doing it with a contractor, and taking care to stabilize it, not damage the flooring etc.

I mean chopping the legs down on a chair takes ten minutes too but much is made of Matt's special order chairs that are so clever.  Anything can be done quickly, but if the island is meeting building codes, it probably wasn't a ten minute power saw job. 

Regardless, they've got the kitchen redesigned and everything moved in, why move? They haven't even mentioned it. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Amy has mentioned in lives that they will be in that house for years. Perhaps when she/they reach retirement age? 🤷🏼‍♀️

I thought Chris said he and Amy looked up the house Matt was flipping. I don’t recall a reason being given. I’ll have to look at that clip again.

ETA:

Watched it again. Unless they said something after this, no reason was given.

The discussion is toward the end:

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 1

I never knew if Amy mentioned staying in the new house either way I only watch the show and never watch her lives just the recipe videos.  I just know some couples get a house they buy together when they get married while others one just moves into or buys into a house the bride or groom already has.  

I don’t remember them saying why they looked up Matt’s house either other than they did.  Whether they did for a “legit” reason or just because they were “nosy” I didn’t think it was weird either way. I’d probably be curious.  

I think the wedding will end up on the farm, I think them going to Chris’ friend’s home was just a plot point for the show. I’m curious as to what other places they will look at.

• Love 4
On 5/15/2021 at 12:05 AM, EllaWycliffe said:

Eh, film crew watching and its a cul-de sac, if they're filming it then the kid has several adults watching.

Yes, but he clearly has been doing this for awhile, with out a camera crew and seemed quite comfortable doing it. Bad messaging to send a small child that it's perfectly normal to ride a scooter like that where a driver wouldn't see them. I live in a cul de sac and my kids played out in it all the time but I always made sure they knew the rules about riding their bikes safely and to watch out for cars and especially people backing in/out of their driveways. I'm sure their laid back parenting style is the talk of the neighborhood.

• Love 3
On 4/21/2021 at 5:31 PM, DonnaMae said:

Amy is trying on white wedding gowns.  I think white gowns should be for first weddings only.  Didn't a white gown stand for virginity?  Of course, there aren't many virginal brides any more.

Lots of archaic shit in reference to woman & weddings, marriage in general. The virginal white gown, her father “giving her away”,  the taking of her “masters” name. That’s just one day. After that most women lose their identity and all sense of themselves. Reduced to being a  house wife and a mother,  working a job to make ends meet, never having a real life of their own. Being taken for granted & not appreciated. In my opinion the institute marriage is just that and really not a wholesome wonderful thing.  it just keeps many women down and Unhappy for the rest of their lives. So if a woman wants to wear a white dress or whatever on this one day where she is in fantasyland, just do it. Who cares. Who the hell is getting married as a virgin these days anymore? And how insulting and demeaning is that concept in the first place?

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Lots of archaic shit in reference to woman & weddings, marriage in general. The virginal white gown, her father “giving her away”,  the taking of her “masters” name. That’s just one day. After that most women lose their identity and all sense of themselves. Reduced to being a  house wife and a mother,  working a job to make ends meet, never having a real life of their own. Being taken for granted & not appreciated. In my opinion the institute marriage is just that and really not a wholesome wonderful thing.  it just keeps many women down and Unhappy for the rest of their lives. So if a woman wants to wear a white dress or whatever on this one day where she is in fantasyland, just do it. Who cares. Who the hell is getting married as a virgin these days anymore? And how insulting and demeaning is that concept in the first place?

Sing it sista!   

If women really knew what they were getting into when they say I do!  Not many would!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/16/2021 at 9:12 AM, EllaWycliffe said:

A few months ago during one of Amy's instagram LIVES with her friend Lisa she said that they plan to live in this house for 10 yrs and then they plan on buying a different place for retirement.

• Useful 1