Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Two years and no ring!  Life is good for Chris!  

They are around 50 or so?  Past likely child bearing age (and maybe Amy took care of that after Jacob).   So what if they aren’t engaged. Lots of people this age choose not to marry. If I ever become a widow I don’t plan on remarrying. I want whatever is left to go to my kids. 

Yes, it’s possible that Amy wants to marry and Chris doesn’t. That’s between them.  Doesn’t make Chris evil or just riding on Amy’s  coattails.  Just means they might not be on the same page. 

I’m pretty sure Matt has no plans to marry Caryn.  Or vice versa. He may  want to leave his money to the kids and she may not want to be legally tied to ( and responsible for) Matt either. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 9
On 11/25/2018 at 1:00 AM, Rap541 said:

But the awkward reality is that Chris has stayed way past normal shelf for someone who just didn't like Amy but was staying to profit.

@Rap541

Thanks RAP541

I was going to post words to that effect.

Read your post and there it was.

On 11/23/2018 at 8:49 PM, Rap541 said:

Heh. Ironically I actually got an email today from Amy's Little Kitchen announcing a Black Friday Fudge sale including free shipping and 10% off the fudge.

So she's clearly still with the business and not entirely no talk. ;)

Isn't it more properly "First Lord"? If the governor's spouse is a man?

All the media is calling him first man.

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I believe she contracts with a commercial kitchen to produce her products.

It looks right now as though her only "edible" things to order are coffee beans and blocks of fudge.  No baked goods.  I wouldn't spend that much for something from Amy when I can get something at the mall from an established company . . . for a lot less.  Her fudge is $39.99 for three 8-ounce chunks of fudge.  See's Candies runs about 75% of that price, with a lot more options.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Her fudge is $39.99 for three 8-ounce chunks of fudge.  See's Candies runs about 75% of that price, with a lot more options.

Oh my stars.  That's delusional.  If I want fudge I'll simply make it myself or at worst go to the chocolate shop at the local mall where they make it fresh daily.  I can get $5.00 worth that is more than I should eat.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 4

When's lpbw coming back on with new episodes??  Is it small world big lives now coz no results for that on spectrum cable.  About to delete it from my recording list on DVR.  Mainly want to see how the babies are doing.  It hasn't been the same since we had to figure out that Matt was messing with the help and she's still there and it's all weird haha.

• Love 2
On 12/4/2018 at 6:33 AM, ginger90 said:

I’m sorry, what?  I was distracted by the cheetah print and pirate boots . . . This should be interesting!  Can’t wait to hear what Amy has up her sleeve.  She has a lot more energy than I do and I feel like she deserves any success she gets on her own.  She’s always been a hard worker and I’m not going to begrudge her the fruits of her labors.  In fact, maybe it’s the season, but I wish both her and Matt happiness in their separate pursuits, as it wasn’t working in the (over crowded) marriage.  I used to hope that Matt would come to his senses, stop being a dick and want to get back with Amy.  I also used to hope for a kinder and gentler Amy so he would want to be better at the marriage.  I say this because it really didn’t seem to me like Amy wanted the marriage to end in beginning.  But that was before we knew about all the shenanigans with Caryn.  I guess this is what is best after all.

• Love 2
On 12/7/2018 at 5:37 AM, ginger90 said:

2 pictures 

Seems like Amy could have made better use of her time rather than posing with lover boy!  Wasn't she supposed to be a partner in pumpkin season and be selling baked goods for more profit?  Surely she could have spent a little of her previous time hunting a bakery to bake her breads!

As usual Amy's all talk, belittling Matt and no show, Amy s baked goods!

• Love 2

Hehehe yeah and meanwhile poor Matt who has bought his own special cozy house where he can finally live without pain still forces himself to live in the hated double wide in physical agony because he's so decisive and such a doer, but bless his heart, if he doesn't know Amy's choices, then he has to twiddle on his ass in utter agony in a crap house waiting in pain and suffering because he can't do a thing until Amy does and we all need to pity poor pitiful trapped Matt. :)

All talk and no show, that Matt - wants to live free with Caryn in his own awesome house but what does he do? Sits in misery in the doublewide, glaring at his ex and muttering how he is trapped until she makes a decision. 

Mind you, I think both Matt and Amy are playing this game but the idea that Amy somehow HAS to do something with herself is kind of hilarious. Her real job, just like Matt's, is the show, and that is where they both make their money. Personally, I think Amy's baking business is her little ego boost and isn't profitable, much the way Matt's children's book is Matt's little ego boost and isn't profitable. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Mind you, I think both Matt and Amy are playing this game but the idea that Amy somehow HAS to do something with herself is kind of hilarious. Her real job, just like Matt's, is the show, and that is where they both make their money. Personally, I think Amy's baking business is her little ego boost and isn't profitable, much the way Matt's children's book is Matt's little ego boost and isn't profitable. 

I agree the show is their main income, as I feel it is right now for Zach & Tori as well. It was for Auj&Jer but they've decided to go it alone & we'll see how long that lasts.

They all pose & post excessively (maybe not Z&T but I don't follow closely enough to know), but I think it's kind of a requirement, for the show, & also to keep their names out there & continue profiting off the show's popularity as long as they can.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

IIt was for Auj&Jer but they've decided to go it alone & we'll see how long that lasts.

I suspect that TLC went to them and said, "You're not little people, nor is your child.  You don't fit the description of the show, and we don't see any reason to keep you on the show - and pay you - since you bring nothing to the table."

I think Jeremy decided he had to have an office on the farm because he was hoping he'd get in the occasional long shot and demand to be paid.  I can't believe they're making much money with their hare-brained ministry, overpriced "Always More," and hashtag sales.  And there's not any talk of either of them actually HAVING a job. other than those things.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I suspect that TLC went to them and said, "You're not little people, nor is your child.  You don't fit the description of the show, and we don't see any reason to keep you on the show - and pay you - since you bring nothing to the table."

Something like this, yes, coupled with the awkwardness that Jer and Auj don't want to participate in "family fun day" episodes and "we're ALL GOING ON VACATION TOGETHER" episodes and really want their episodes to be carefully curated "we're so cool and suave and deep" and not "we're whipping pumpkins at wine bottles in the barn for fun!!!!". My suspicion is that the kiddies were too difficult to film, since they don't play well with Amy and filming with Matt is it's own chore. 

I think Jeremy decided he had to have an office on the farm because he was hoping he'd get in the occasional long shot and demand to be paid.

It also keeps his hand in on "wanting the farm" and now he can whine "you can't sell the farm, I have my office there!"

I can't believe they're making much money with their hare-brained ministry, overpriced "Always More," and hashtag sales.  And there's not any talk of either of them actually HAVING a job. other than those things.

I doubt the clothes are profitable, or the journals, but Auj let drop in the latest podcast that she's "going platinum" in the Young Living Oil pyramid scheme/multi level marketing ploy. Since she's a celeb, she probably does well in the scam. 

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I doubt the clothes are profitable, or the journals, but Auj let drop in the latest podcast that she's "going platinum" in the Young Living Oil pyramid scheme/multi level marketing ploy. Since she's a celeb, she probably does well in the scam. 

Minimum monthly sales to go Platinum (from what I can find online) = $5,146.  And she's "going platinum" (not there yet), so her sales are less than that.  That's sales, not net income to the seller.  Deduct from that the cost of the supplies and oils from the corporate headquarters, time involved in selling and delivering, etc.  Average length of time to achieve platinum level is 63 months.  She's been involved in it for quite a while, hasn't she?

It's like LulaRoe; the only people making good money in any pyramid scheme are those at the top of the pyramid.  When you read things by the local sellers, it sounds like LulaRoe makes every dream come true for those who sell it.  In actuality, the company itself is near bankruptcy, and is involved in several lawsuits.  

Shysters, the lot of them.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 11
15 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Minimum monthly sales to go Platinum (from what I can find online) = $5,146.  And she's "going platinum" (not there yet), so her sales are less than that.  That's sales, not net income to the seller.  Deduct from that the cost of the supplies and oils from the corporate headquarters, time involved in selling and delivering, etc.  Average length of time to achieve platinum level is 63 months.  She's been involved in it for quite a while, hasn't she?

It's like LulaRoe; the only people making good money in any pyramid scheme are those at the top of the pyramid.  When you read things by the local sellers, it sounds like LulaRoe makes every dream come true for those who sell it.  In actuality, the company itself is near bankruptcy, and is involved in several lawsuits.  

Shysters, the lot of them.

Not to mention that that stuff is trendy, so after a relatively short time, you have to find a new trendy product to hawk.  It's generally a road to nowhere real.

6 minutes ago, readheaded said:

Not to mention that that stuff is trendy, so after a relatively short time, you have to find a new trendy product to hawk.  It's generally a road to nowhere real.

Young Living has been around for 25 years, so it's lasted longer than a lot of the MLM companies.  I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't believe in magic potions whose smell can change your life (other than soap). 

I used to know a woman who posted online one day that she was getting on a flight and swears that the only reason she was upgraded was because she was wearing some particular YL scent which made others see her as confident and worthy of the upgrade.  Yeah, right.  She was neatly dressed, clean, and flying alone (and there was only one open seat in the upgraded section).  Those were three even more realistic reasons why someone would be upgraded.  We had a mutual friend who flew a lot and was upgraded frequently.  Friend didn't use YL, but DID check in on solo flights well-dressed (professional) and clean.  She and I communicated privately that the YL oil had nothing to do with the other woman's upgrade.  Bottom line:  They don't put schlubby-looking people in First Class (unless they PAY for the ticket).

9 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Young Living has been around for 25 years, so it's lasted longer than a lot of the MLM companies.  I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't believe in magic potions whose smell can change your life (other than soap). 

I used to know a woman who posted online one day that she was getting on a flight and swears that the only reason she was upgraded was because she was wearing some particular YL scent which made others see her as confident and worthy of the upgrade.  Yeah, right.  She was neatly dressed, clean, and flying alone (and there was only one open seat in the upgraded section).  Those were three even more realistic reasons why someone would be upgraded.  We had a mutual friend who flew a lot and was upgraded frequently.  Friend didn't use YL, but DID check in on solo flights well-dressed (professional) and clean.  She and I communicated privately that the YL oil had nothing to do with the other woman's upgrade.  Bottom line:  They don't put schlubby-looking people in First Class (unless they PAY for the ticket).

I'm with you on the MLM stuff, I meant that even if the companies stay around for a while, they seem to wane in popularity.  YL seems to me to be more prominent now than maybe in the past because it's trendy for people think that "natural" is always better and not to believe in science.  My cousin sells YL and actually posts on her social media that it makes her diabetes better so she doesn't need insulin.  

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Part of the key to MLM is to sell stuff that's not a fad (ie: ugly leggings).  I have friends who sell for Partylite (candles and home décor), Thirty One (bags/organizing stuff), and Pampered Chef (kitchen stuff).  While all have said that their sales definitely go up and down with trends, they offer core products that are useful.  The other keys are to not invest a ton of your own money, and to have a "day job".  I know two very successful Thirty One sellers.  Both work full-time at something else.

I worked with a woman who sold LuLaRoe and constantly bragged about how well she was doing, how she was getting picked for cruises every year, etc.  I can't stand LLR, the way they conduct their business (I get SO SICK of having people share those stupid live videos to my FB feed so they can get "points" and the stupid names for their businesses - "Leggins Beautique" is the one that makes me ragey), and I would NEVER buy something that I had no say in what ugly pattern I got (I understand some LLR sellers do conduct their business differently, but many just have you give a size, and you get what they get in their shipments, hence the many LLR trade groups out there, for people to connect and trade off what they're not happy with) - especially the cost that some of their stuff commands, only for it to fall apart quickly.  But yes, there was an article that was out from a reputable source recently that they're seriously close to going belly-up.  They owe astronomical amounts to their suppliers.  Many former sellers came forward to say that the company would chastise them when they'd complain the product wasn't moving, telling them to "feed their kids spaghetti-o's" and other similar things.  I checked in on my former co-worker.  She's still pushing the ugly leggings and bragging about cruises, but she also works a full-time job.....

• Love 2
On 11/24/2018 at 6:10 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Two years and no ring!  Life is good for Chris!  

if anyone knows of House Wives Orange County Would I be reaching if I said, Chris reminds me of Vicki BF Brook who was with her for money and Tv fame.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Dave James said:

if anyone knows of House Wives Orange County Would I be reaching if I said, Chris reminds me of Vicki BF Brook who was with her for money and Tv fame.

I've said that since day one!  He's getting a paycheck, lots of free restaurant meals and trips!  Plus he's a realtor so lots of folks probably choosing him as their realtor since everybody likes the spotlight!

Chris is nobody's fool!

• Love 2

There's no proof Chris is paid to be on the show. His name isn't in the credits. Family members like Pop and Honey were NOT being paid to do the show and thats why they pretty much disappeared after season four - they asked to be paid and got told no.

Free meals and trips? Maybe. 

Buying a house is rarely done on a whim. Anyone who is buying a house from Chris purely because they are awed by his being on a reality show occasionally deserve the house they get. He probably gets more looky loos because of the show but I can't see it increasing his sales. Besides wasn't one of the previous arguments that Chris is a leech eager to quit his job and suck off the Roloff titties?? 

Speaking of sucking off a Roloff, what about Caryn? She sure gets her share of free food and free trips on Matt's dime or is she a saint who pays her way? Btw as of last summer, she is no longer an employee at Roloff Farms so how is Caryn supporting herself these days? I mean, she's not getting a paycheck to be Matt's on screen lover, right?

I mean, Matt bought her parent's home in AZ and she's on his arm, scarfing up the free trips and free food and free living all because she is deeply and honorably in love with Matt Roloff, and as long as she does what Matt wants... and it's reasonable for an average height woman to sexually desire a man like Matt Roloff (even though its apparently utterly ridiculous for an average height man to be anything but disgusted by Amy Roloff)

I dunno, no job but easy living, her parents holding a nice chunk of Matt's cash.... I'd say *Caryn* is nobody's fool here. 

• Love 18
11 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Jesus, Rap. Did you have to go there?

Now now don't haul Jesus into this ;)

But seriously, we're talking about two adult couples who are dating and I do question why Chris is leered at as a sexual pervert for not only dating Amy but doing it for just money. I mean lets be clear, he's being called a whore who accepts money for being Amy's public man.

But when Matt makes a show of pointedly telling us how SEXY he finds Caryn, what this means to some people is that Caryn is basically his mommy/sister/helper aide and they kiss chastely at best as Caryn is clearly some sort of celibate nun and Matt isn't really a man who has sex, he's sort of a celibate grandfather figure who honors Caryn's celibate friendship and honestly, thats just not the story being presented.

For starters, just on profitability, Caryn's the one demonstrably making out like a bandit here. She goes on all sorts of trips with Matt, Until very recently she was getting a paycheck to be "Matt's employee". Matt bought her parents home in Arizona. She and her family have directly profited from her relationship with Matt. 

But Chris is the one taking advantage?

Point - I actually think it's entirely possible that both Chris and Caryn like their respective partners because *they like their respective partners* and aren't all about appearences. Little people and average height people do fall in love away from the cameras to where it's a little rude, in my opinion, to assume either the average height person must be in it for the money, or that the average height person is really just some sort of asexual helper monkey

• Love 22
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

She was scheduled to be there from noon - 1:30p. 

5 pictures 

That surely does not look like any of the bell ringers in my city!  Amy's full of it.  A four piece band??   She doesn't  have to advertise her SMALL donation!  

• Love 1

That does look like bell ringers in my city, especially in the shopping district during peak hours. It's nice to see her community involvement. I don't see this as her advertising herself, more like encouraging others to donate their time/money. If her "fame" means someone puts money in the bucket who otherwise would walk on by, good for Amy.

• Love 17

And Matt who is paving those roads with gold is donating where? :)

More seriously, that looks like a large charitable rally where indeed, the Salvation Army does gussy itself up with the uniforms and music. It's not an every day occurrence, but I've seen such things in my city. 

Do we know how much she gave that we can sneer she gave a small donation? For that matter, is it really ok to sneer in disgust at any charitable donation? Lets say I agree that Matt earned the money and wiped every shitty butt, made every meal for all four of his children, drove them to school every day, and wasn't a father a thru up his hands and said "Amy wouldn't let me raise my children, I'm the victim", lets say Matt was the man who did it all and Amy walked away with his gold.... now she's donating some of that gold to charity... does that mean the money won't do any good?

• Love 20