Type keyword(s) to search

Boy Meets World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am also a Nicksay person, but I remember when Ridgeway's Morgan was going out on a "date" with a boy and she was wearing a tankini before Alan told her to go change.  She was sucking in her "gut" so visibly and I felt bad for her.  Ridgeway's Morgan kind of got on my nerves, but I never out and out despised her; I just always wondered why Nicksay needed to be replaced.

• Love 1

Nicksay, especially because she and Eric had some nice bonding moments back when he used to call her "weasel" and use her to pick up chicks. She was also super adorable as a zombie, when she thought she killed Santa, and "They just shot the neighbor!"

But Ridgeway does win points for "He's a loser freak, loser freak! He's a maladjusted loser freak! He's a woman-hating, maladjusted loser freak! And he doesn't like girls 'cause he's afraid of them, afraid of them! I think he likes boys if you know what I'm saying!" 

• Love 7

Nothing against Ridgeway herself but i have criticism for her parents giving her the name Lindsay which is both really a surname (see: Norman Lindsay) and has been used as a *male* given name. The middle name Elizabeth *does not* soften the sexism of giving her a masculine surname as a given name. I don't know what the anti-femininity attitude is, but one thing it is *not*, is feminism.

Nothing against Ridgeway herself but i have criticism for her parents giving her the name Lindsay which is both really a surname (see: Norman Lindsay) and has been used as a *male* given name. The middle name Elizabeth *does not* soften the sexism of giving her a masculine surname as a given name. I don't know what the anti-femininity attitude is, but one thing it is *not*, is feminism.

I'm sorry but what? I always thought of Lindsay as a feminine name. The first time I heard of it is Lindsay Wagner. Every famous and non-famous Lindsay I know is a female (Wagner, Lohan, Price, Davenport, etc). It may be a surname and a male name in the past, but it's evolved so I don't know that it has to do with sexism/feminism or why the criticism.

• Love 7

I could be totally off, but I assumed that the poster was saying that Lindsay is masculine as opposed to Lindsey.  Kind of like saying that a guy is a blonde (the "e" should only be used if referring to a woman).

I always figured the Two Morgans would make a good crossover with Doctor Who

We know that regeneration can be achieved through non biological means in the Whoniverse. Obviously, the Matthews family had an encounter with the Doctor, in the course of which the Lily Nicksay incarnation of Morgan Matthews was gravely injured and, to save Morgan's life, the Doctor placed Morgan into the regeneration machinery in his TARDIS and Morgan regenerated into her Lindsay Ridgeway incarnation. That's why the Second Morgan talks about "the longest time out i ever had" in her first episode - it was to deal with post-regeneration trauma.

10387965_1484855688398263_1667459131_n%2

I am also a Nicksay person, but I remember when Ridgeway's Morgan was going out on a "date" with a boy and she was wearing a tankini before Alan told her to go change.  She was sucking in her "gut" so visibly and I felt bad for her.  Ridgeway's Morgan kind of got on my nerves, but I never out and out despised her; I just always wondered why Nicksay needed to be replaced.

I thought it was because they wanted to age-up Morgan (as they did with Cory, Shawn & Topanga)  - Ridgeway is older than Nicksay by 3 years, and looked it (which kids always will when they're that young).  I preferred Nicksay as well, but Ridgeway wasn't bad.

It's interesting that Morgan sitting on Santa's lap (and the Santa's fatal heart attack while Morgan was on his knee) probably wouldn't happen if BMW was made today as a lot of parents and places no longer allow children to sit on a mall Santa's lap because of pedophilia concerns.

I've rewatched a lot of Supernatural lately, including the episodes with Lucifer, so these gems have been popping into my head:

Eric: She was talking to Satan!

Eric: She doesn't belong to you, Jack! She belongs to El Diablo!

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 0:08 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I thought it was because they wanted to age-up Morgan (as they did with Cory, Shawn & Topanga)  - Ridgeway is older than Nicksay by 3 years, and looked it (which kids always will when they're that young).  I preferred Nicksay as well, but Ridgeway wasn't bad.

I don't know if it's true, and I don't mean it as an insult since she was  young child, but I heard that Nicksay was difficult on set. 

Probably speaking into the void here, but I hate the "Newbies vs Oldies" war of season 7. It was too meta, and not based on actual Watsonian events. There hadn't really been a "core 3" since mid-season 5. Angela made it a "core 4", and she had separate important relationships with every person in that group - Shawn's girlfriend, Topanga's best friend, and Cory's close and only female friend. She had an arguably better relationship with her boyfriend's bff (Cory) than Topanga had with Shawn - where the Topanga/Cory/Shawn dynamic sometimes worked as a love triangle with Cory in the middle of those two. So her echoing Jack and Rachel's complaints of being "left out" of the group was just ridiculous.

In fact, Rachel & Jack were ridiculous. Of course, they would be left out. Those 4 were dating/best friends with each other, and the same age. He was Shawn's new-found brother and he had never established any relationship with the other 3. Similarly, Rachel was always with Jack/Eric. Her new-found BFF-ness with Angela/Topanga was basically invented overnight to give her something outside love triangle middle to do. Rachel never even liked Cory/Shawn and regarded them as necessary evils to maintain friendships with the others. Why would she want to be in their little group?

On 06/12/2014 at 8:56 PM, kia112 said:

Rachel...I still say she sucks.  I know their fight led to the Plays With Squirrels that everyone loves, but for real, I didn't see the big loss if they weren't friends anymore.  It didn't feel earned with Rachel.  With Angela, they made the point over and over again to talk about how she and Shawn just really liked each other.  Liked talking to each other, liked being in each others presence.  Yeah, they also liked to make out, but their relationship was a real character builder for Shawn.  And when she and Shawn broke up, they also made it a point that Angela be Cory's friend outside of her relationship with Shawn.  I bought a Cory/Topanga friendship, a Topanga/Shawn friendship, a Cory/Shawn friendship, a Shawn/Angela friendship, a Topanga/Angela friendship (kind of; I actually think that theirs was the least developed, even though they were supposed to be "best friends") and a Cory/Angela friendship.  Trina McGee-Davis is a terrible actress, but she seemed to be able to convey a sense of intimacy when she was in scenes opposite Rider and Ben.  Chemistry can help smooth out bad acting.  Rachel?  I didn't see her as friends with anyone.  Maybe Eric.  Which is probably why he was the most upset about the thought that she might walk away.

THIS basically. Wish I had seen this before I typed all that out! 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/5/2018 at 5:59 PM, Katsullivan said:

Probably speaking into the void here, but I hate the "Newbies vs Oldies" war of season 7. It was too meta, and not based on actual Watsonian events.

Yes. I think Rachel was --- she was like "fetch" (Clueless reference). They kept trying to make her "happen". This might sound somehow but --- she worked better as a plot device for the other character's stories. When Angela/Topanga needed to move out of the dorm, as a foil to Eric/Jack.... But trying to center the narrative on her - making it seem that the group would fall apart without her --- that didn't make sense. 

And since I'm here, I'd like to rant a little about "Angela's Men" and how much I dislike that episode. On the surface, it looks like character development for Angela, but in reality, it's just revisionist history for her relationship with Shawn, and puts the burden of fixing their relationship on her, and this invented mommy issues - and not on the fact that Shawn was a fuckboy who dumped her in the first week of freshmen year so he could sleep around campus. 

Spoiler

The fact that this last minute retcon is the basis of their future separation is even more sinister and galling. There was far more evidence of Shawn eventually pushing Angela away or giving up on her because their relationship was not like "Cory-Topanga" (the irony of course was that Cory & Topanga were not perfect, and I wish the show had examined that Shawn over-idealized them, putting pressure on himself and Angela to leave up to his non-existence ideal). 

Edited by ursula
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, ursula said:

Yes. I think Rachel was --- she was like "fetch" (Clueless reference). They kept trying to make her "happen". This might sound somehow but --- she worked better as a plot device for the other character's stories. When Angela/Topanga needed to move out of the dorm, as a foil to Eric/Jack.... But trying to center the narrative on her - making it seem that the group would fall apart without her --- that didn't make sense. 

And since I'm here, I'd like to rant a little about "Angela's Men" and how much I dislike that episode. On the surface, it looks like character development for Angela, but in reality, it's just revisionist history for her relationship with Shawn, and puts the burden of fixing their relationship on her, and this invented mommy issues - and not on the fact that Shawn was a fuckboy who dumped her in the first week of freshmen year so he could sleep around campus. 

Reveal hidden contents

The fact that this last minute retcon is the basis of their future separation is even more sinister and galling. There was far more evidence of Shawn eventually pushing Angela away or giving up on her because their relationship was not like "Cory-Topanga" (the irony of course was that Cory & Topanga were not perfect, and I wish the show had examined that Shawn over-idealized them, putting pressure on himself and Angela to leave up to his non-existence ideal). 

I think that’s an over simplistic take on their break up. First of all, Shawn didn’t break up with her, she forced the break up and she made him think it was mutual, or at least that she wasn’t hurt by it. I know she did it to keep a brave face, but it still gave him the wrong impression about their relationship. Secondly, what Shawn did was healthy. You do need to meet new people in university. You need to know what it’s out there. And if after that, you still want the person you originally started with, that confirms your choice and strengthens the relationship. You won’t have to spend the rest of your life wondering. Marrying the only person you’ve ever dated and/or had sex with? That’s not advisable! Cory/Topanga are shown as the ideal - but they’re not ideal, they’re unrealistic. If GMW was really about realism, those two would have been bitter divorcees in the future while Shawn / Angela would have been the stable couple.  Thirdly, I don’t see how Angela's development lets Shawn off the hook. Their relationship had already moved past the original break-up. Don’t forget that they broke up at the start of season 6, and reconciled a full season later. Between then, Shawn had been writing her poems, and making it clear that he still loved her. There was also the Honesty game where he finally tells her he loves her and she pushes him away because she wants non-commitment sex. At that point, it’s clear that Angela is the one jeopardising their relationship, not Shawn.

The fact that the showrunners decided to use it as a reason to break their relationship doesn’t mean that the storyline was bad. 

29 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

First of all, Shawn didn’t break up with her, she forced the break up and she made him think it was mutual, or at least that she wasn’t hurt by it. I know she did it to keep a brave face, but it still gave him the wrong impression about their relationship. 

I don't see how you can say the bolded, and still blame Angela for the break-up. Remember that Shawn refused to make out with her in public, then he introduced her as his ‘friend’ to a hot girl who was clearly interested in him. The same hot girl, by the way, that he asks out as soon as he and Angela break up. Angela took the only dignified option available to her and called him out on his bullshit.

29 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

Secondly, what Shawn did was healthy. You do need to meet new people in university. You need to know what it’s out there. And if after that, you still want the person you originally started with, that confirms your choice and strengthens the relationship. You won’t have to spend the rest of your life wondering. Marrying the only person you’ve ever dated and/or had sex with? That’s not advisable! Cory/Topanga are shown as the ideal - but they’re not ideal, they’re unrealistic. If GMW was really about realism, those two would have been bitter divorcees in the future while Shawn / Angela would have been the stable couple. 

No argument on Cory/Topanga. They weren’t admirable or sweet, they were co-dependent and actually quite toxic if you examine their relationship through non-filtered lenses. And it’s beyond irritating that the showrunners use ‘realism’ to break up Shawngela when Coranga is actually the relationship that would have fallen apart.

But that doesn’t make what Shawn did to Angela any less hurtful. She was heartbroken, as she admitted to Cory, but she had to suck it up so that he won’t feel sorry for her. You don’t think when your high school boyfriend is dumping you to ask out the first girl he meets in college, that it’s healthier for the relationship this way, and a year from now, he’ll want you back so just enjoy being single.

31 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

Thirdly, I don’t see how Angela's development lets Shawn off the hook. Their relationship had already moved past the original break-up. Don’t forget that they broke up at the start of season 6, and reconciled a full season later. Between then, Shawn had been writing her poems, and making it clear that he still loved her. There was also the Honesty game where he finally tells her he loves her and she pushes him away because she wants non-commitment sex. At that point, it’s clear that Angela is the one jeopardising their relationship, not Shawn.

You’re missing some key factors here. First, he didn’t just write her love poems and start courting her. She wasn’t even supposed to know about the love poems, Cory in his usual manner, bumbled out that revelation. And even with that, Shawn still lied about the poems. Still lied about being in love with her. Cory convinced her to give Shawn a chance, then he hurt her again. You’ve also missed out Christmas, when Angela tells Shawn she loves him and he can’t say it back.

Which is important because the whole Big Deal in ‘Angela’s Ashes’ was that Angela couldn’t articulate her love for Shawn and that’s obviously bullshit because Angela clearly didn’t have that difficulty in Christmas. It’s Shawn that can’t bring himself to say it back, and pushes her away – and that’s traced to his childhood trauma and abandonment issues but it’s still Shawn doing that to their relationship. Angela never pushed him away, never hurt him (it really galls me when she’s crying that she doesn’t want to hurt him anymore when the only person who did all the hurting was Shawn), and gave him chance after chance. Even the Honesty game – he tells her he loves her because she called his bluff on wanting to have sex with her without any emotional attachment or strings. Which, by the way, is not a compliment. It was actually a pretty ass-holish declaration to make.

31 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

The fact that the showrunners decided to use it as a reason to break their relationship doesn’t mean that the storyline was bad. 

If anything, I can bet money that since the showrunners had this fixed idea of Shawn never being happy, they were basically planting the seeds to their eventual break-up with this episode. It's not a coincidence that Angela’s father returns to break them up one last time before the series finale. 

Shawn should have been shown winning Angela on his right, but instead her Daddy had to help him. In the end, Daddy gave, and Daddy took away.

• Love 1
(edited)

In Season 6, BMW's writers suddenly decided Shawn's emotional arc was 'Shawn can never be happy,' which they continued to pursue from then on.

There was also a rumor that there was plans to spinoff Corpanga & Shawn onto their own show, post-BMW, and the producers wanted Shawn single on that show, hence Shawngela's senseless Season 7 relationship trajectory.

But Rider decided he wanted to attend college, so that plan was nixed.

And the less said about the travesty that is/was GMW, especially where Shawngela is concerned, the better.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ursula said:

I don't see how you can say the bolded, and still blame Angela for the break-up.

Woah. I am not blaming Angela. I’m just pointing out that the situation was more nuanced than ‘Shawn dumped her’. There might have been a chance that they could have talked things through, or had a trial separation, or taken a break, but she made it seem like she wanted it as much as he (appeared to) do.

They weren’t admirable or sweet, they were co-dependent and actually quite toxic if you examine their relationship through non-filtered lenses.

Seriously, in my dreams, I imagine that I got the chance to do the revival series. I would have pulled a Sweet Valley Confidential and seriously fuck with these characters. And maybe even throw in a murder for the fun of it. 

But that doesn’t make what Shawn did to Angela any less hurtful. She was heartbroken, as she admitted to Cory, but she had to suck it up so that he won’t feel sorry for her. You don’t think when your high school boyfriend is dumping you to ask out the first girl he meets in college, that it’s healthier for the relationship this way, and a year from now, he’ll want you back so just enjoy being single.

OK, I can’t really argue with that. It’s one thing to know that in the long term, it made for a better relationship. It’s another to expect Angela to understand that at the time.

You’re missing some key factors here.

I’m aware of these factors. I just didn’t feel the need to write a play by play. My point was that the issues between them were no longer whether he loved her or whether he wanted to see other people, but as you said, his abandonment issues. 

Which is important because the whole Big Deal in ‘Angela’s Ashes’ was that Angela couldn’t articulate her love for Shawn and that’s obviously bullshit because Angela clearly didn’t have that difficulty in Christmas.

Obviously because Topanga’s parents’s divorce, and Topanga’s own declaration that love didn’t exist had triggered Angela’s own feelings of abandonment. This is something that I had forgotten. It’s actually established from Shawn and Angela’s first date that she didn’t believe that people could date long-term without getting hurt. The show might not have given us a reason why Angela felt this way but they had established early enough that her mommy issues made sense. 

Which, by the way, is not a compliment. 

Only if one has a puritanical view of sex. ‘No strings’ simply meant that he shouldn’t take into account any emotional baggage that the hook-up could cause. Basically, if he wasn’t seeing Angela as someone he had a history with and could hurt and/or get hurt by. 

Shawn should have been shown winning Angela on his right, but instead her Daddy had to help him. In the end, Daddy gave, and Daddy took away.

I don’t see it that way. I think Angela’s father did what Feeny does for almost every other character on the show - give rather nosey advice and steer them in the best direction. The thing was that the show had never established a relationship between Angela and Mr Feeny so it would have seemed apropos of nothing for him to suddenly start giving her life tips. And fine, you can say that was 

4 hours ago, Dee said:

There was also a rumor that there was plans to spinoff Corpanga & Shawn onto their own show, post-BMW, and the producers wanted Shawn single on that show, hence Shawngela's senseless Season 7 relationship trajectory.

Well obviously, I don't see Shawngela's relationship trajectory as senseless. And if they had their spin-off show, and it ran for more than one season, that gave Angela an opening to come back, didn't it?

4 hours ago, Dee said:

In Season 6, BMW's writers suddenly decided Shawn's emotional arc was 'Shawn can never be happy,' which they continued to pursue from then on.

OK, this is the second time I've seen this presented as fact but was this decided in BMW or GMW? 

(edited)
17 hours ago, Katsullivan said:

Woah. I am not blaming Angela. I’m just pointing out that the situation was more nuanced than ‘Shawn dumped her’. There might have been a chance that they could have talked things through, or had a trial separation, or taken a break, but she made it seem like she wanted it as much as he (appeared to) do.

Ok, what about: "the relationship ended because Shawn set a series of events into motion that led to its termination?" Also, you can not fault how Angela chose to comport herself after her boyfriend basically dissed her in front of a stranger. The onus wasn't on Angela to hold onto their relationship, it was on Shawn not to have threatened it in the first place! Like I really don't know how to make it clearer that the Shawn was the one who: made them break up, lied about his feelings for her after the poem, rejected Angela at Christmas time... All that was Shawn. 

So my problem with Angela's Ashes was that it ignored all the things Shawn had done, and put the burden of reconciliation on "fixing" Angela. 

Obviously because Topanga’s parents’s divorce, and Topanga’s own declaration that love didn’t exist had triggered Angela’s own feelings of abandonment. This is something that I had forgotten. It’s actually established from Shawn and Angela’s first date that she didn’t believe that people could date long-term without getting hurt. The show might not have given us a reason why Angela felt this way but they had established early enough that her mommy issues made sense. 

Then why wasn't that mentioned in the episode? Now what you're saying makes sense, I give you that, but it's still your head-canon. At no time does the show have Angela say Topanga's parents' divorce are giving her PTSD of her mom, and that's why she's pushing Shawn away. Instead, she tells Shawn she doesn't want to keep hurting him anymore when the only person who's been hurting anyone in that relationship was Shawn. It has Angela admit to a pattern of abusing Shawn that's completely fabricated for the episode. 

Only if one has a puritanical view of sex. ‘No strings’ simply meant that he shouldn’t take into account any emotional baggage that the hook-up could cause. Basically, if he wasn’t seeing Angela as someone he had a history with and could hurt and/or get hurt by. 

If someone told me he'd only sleep with him if he didn't need to make a commitment to me, I'd be insulted and it has nothing to do with me being puritanical. Agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I think Angela’s father did what Feeny does for almost every other character on the show - give rather nosey advice and steer them in the best direction. The thing was that the show had never established a relationship between Angela and Mr Feeny so it would have seemed apropos of nothing for him to suddenly start giving her life tips. And fine, you can say that was 

Gee, I wonder why? ? They managed to establish a relationship with Feeney and Jack and Rachel of all people, yet somehow Feeny & Angela never interacted even though like the core 3, he also taught her through elementary school, high school and college. 

Also, you didn't complete your sentence there. 

Edited by ursula
  • Love 1

It's taken me a while to respond to this because I think we're talking at cross purposes and I'll just say this bit and go:

Angela's Men didn't ignore or excuse Shawn's behaviour a season ago because that behaviour wasn't what was keeping them apart. Shawn had tackled his issues, had faced his demons, and had chosen to live - to be happy, to be with the people he loved, and that included Angela. Now whether it's my head canon or not that Topanga's parents divorce gave Angela emotional PTSD --- by your own admission, there's nothing storywise that contradicts it. And that's all I'm going to say about this.

Agree to the disagree with you on the honesty game.

The cheese stands alone, I guess. I have always preferred Ridgeway.  I thought she was the better actress.  Nicksay just annoyed me.  I didn't think she did a good job of delivering her lines and was always trying to "act cute".  For me, kids are cutest when they are being natural.  When they start trying to look and sound cute, it just comes off as irritating. I liked the Morgan/Eric relationship with Nicksay, but didn't particularly care for the actress.

• Love 1
Just now, BlancheDevoreaux said:

The cheese stands alone, I guess. I have always preferred Ridgeway.  I thought she was the better actress.  Nicksay just annoyed me.  I didn't think she did a good job of delivering her lines and was always trying to "act cute".  For me, kids are cutest when they are being natural.  When they start trying to look and sound cute, it just comes off as irritating. I liked the Morgan/Eric relationship with Nicksay, but didn't particularly care for the actress.

I think it's apples and oranges.  Lindsay is probably 3 or 4 years older than Lily.  I don't thik Lily was "acting" cute.  I think she was cute.  But, she was like 5 years old and yu can't really expect Sharkespearian level acting. And I don't think anyone did.  I think they were going for adorable which is what they got.  When they recast, they went a bit older and more acting.  I liked both of them for their respective roles in the show.

• Love 1
On 12/16/2014 at 10:47 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

I love that episode!  Every single interaction on the set of Boy Getting Acquainted with the Universe is gold:

"You know, how can I learn so much every week and still be so stupid?"

"Deep down I'm shy too. I'm a wounded bird. Schneider and me are wounded birds!"

"HELP ME!"

"You call this a classroom? There are only nine desks. Are we supposed to believe there are only nine students in the whole class?"
"Actually, camera angles will make it appear to be more."
"That's diabolical."

"That's not poopy, you're poopy!"

I do still say "UNDAPANTS!" to my friends quite frequently, but honestly, how can you not?

Danielle cracks me up that entire scene from how she appears in the doorway and goes "HI!" and "Schnieder" responds with "Oh no, it's her" all the way to when she says that she's a wounded bird.

On 12/16/2014 at 6:51 PM, bettername2come said:

My friend and I have this running gag about "That farmhouse....there." It came in especially useful when some drunk at a concert last year kept coming to our seats and we had to redirect him to "That section...there."

"Hey, Banana Boy! Wanna be a star?"

Ah yes.  "That farmhouse... there." That's one of those lines that just gets used in everyday conversation by my husband and me.

In the winter when it is warmer here and other places, I find myself singing "We are warm and you are cold!"

When Topanga is holding the baby of her neighbor in the married dorms and looks at Cory and he says, "No.  Put it back." I crack up everytime I see that.

"They want you to take the rolls!"

• Love 3

I'm laughing just reading through this thread :D.

My family likes to quote Eric's little song he sings to the tune of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" a lot: "The curtain's on fi-re, the curtain's on fi-re!"

And then as the firefighters are breaking their way in...

Eric:  They're chopping down the dorm room, they're chopping down the dorm room...

Cory (screaming): My brother is a moron!

Eric: Which nobody can deny!

• Love 6

Nicksay came across as adorable and loving while Ridgeway comes across as obnoxious, rude and aggressive. My grandmother would've given Ridgeway's Morgan a deserved clip around the ear if she'd tried to pull that act with her. Rude, sassy and obnoxious is not suddenly acceptable just because it is a female child. 

On 5/27/2019 at 8:11 AM, RandomWatcher said:

Don't know if anyone else realized this but the actress who plays Hawkeye's wife in the Avengers is the actress who played Lauren

Yes, Linda Cardellini is a very successful actress.

• Love 1
On 12/6/2014 at 8:56 PM, kia112 said:

Rachel...I still say she sucks.  I know their fight led to the Plays With Squirrels that everyone loves, but for real, I didn't see the big loss if they weren't friends anymore.  It didn't feel earned with Rachel.  With Angela, they made the point over and over again to talk about how she and Shawn just really liked each other.  Liked talking to each other, liked being in each others presence.  Yeah, they also liked to make out, but their relationship was a real character builder for Shawn.  And when she and Shawn broke up, they also made it a point that Angela be Cory's friend outside of her relationship with Shawn.  I bought a Cory/Topanga friendship, a Topanga/Shawn friendship, a Cory/Shawn friendship, a Shawn/Angela friendship, a Topanga/Angela friendship (kind of; I actually think that theirs was the least developed, even though they were supposed to be "best friends") and a Cory/Angela friendship.  Trina McGee-Davis is a terrible actress, but she seemed to be able to convey a sense of intimacy when she was in scenes opposite Rider and Ben.  Chemistry can help smooth out bad acting.  Rachel?  I didn't see her as friends with anyone.  Maybe Eric.  Which is probably why he was the most upset about the thought that she might walk away.

In super bizarre news, Maitland Ward has decided, in her 40s, to become a pornographic actress. 

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/porn-star-maitland-ward-loves-reading-erotic-bedtime-stories/

Apparently she's been big into cosplay for years and her cosplay was getting racier and racier until she started getting paid to do, well, racy cosplay. Once she got into that business, she decided to eventually take the next step and start doing pornographic films.

It's certainly one way to go, I suppose.

4 hours ago, Glendenning said:

Is there much demand for a woman in her 40s to do porn?

I read that question elsewhere on a story about this and somebody said people in their 50s and 60s do porn. To each his own I guess.  I'm not watching porn of any type, though, so what do I know?

2 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

It's interesting how this news just broke. IRRC, she's been doing porn for about three years now. Not saying how I heard....

Oh? I thought she was just doing, like, nude cosplay and stuff like that, I thought the turn to actual sex was a new thing. If not, then yeah, that's super weird that it became a story just now.

56 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Oh? I thought she was just doing, like, nude cosplay and stuff like that, I thought the turn to actual sex was a new thing. If not, then yeah, that's super weird that it became a story just now.

Seems like she's been "easing" into the work, no pun intended.  According to the inter webs, she's been posting topless and semi-nude pics online since about 2014. And there's been hardcore stuff online featuring her for at least 2 years now.  I think the recent articles are just meant to drive publicity for her new movie.

2 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Seems like she's been "easing" into the work, no pun intended.  According to the inter webs, she's been posting topless and semi-nude pics online since about 2014. And there's been hardcore stuff online featuring her for at least 2 years now.  I think the recent articles are just meant to drive publicity for her new movie.

Well, I guess her porn publicist is doing a surprisingly good job! 🙂

• Love 1

Review of "If You Can't Be With The One You Love" (Season Five, Episode 18) [With Spoilers Dealing With Possible Goofs,etc]:

This starts out in a hallway of John Adams High in which Shawn shoves some random kid into a locker but the kid is unusually forgiving of Shawn's angst because he empathizes with Shawn disliking Mr. Feeny's feudalism lectures.  Then Cory  and Topanga exchange civil pleasantries but Cory is upset that Topanga isn't nearly openly mourning their breakup like him. Shawn points out that Cory has become so self-pitying and depressing that no one wants to hang out with him and he makes a point of mentioning that one-shot character Kimberly Sussman specifically told him (Shawn) to not mention her nose celebration party to Cory. This sends Cory into another crying jag when he asks Shawn if he agrees with everyone else about wanting to avoid 'Cory the Downer' and Shawn admits that he's 'getting there'. Cory bitterly replies that he hates himself this way and is done with himself. 

Thankfully, the next scene is NOT a suicide attempt but has Cory show up at one-shot Kimberly Sussman's front door. Kimberly seems so confident that her new nose has to look better than the old one that she's thrown a party with bandages still on the old one AND seems interested in Shawn but Shawn's new girlfriend Angela says it's okay for Kimberly to dance with him but Shawn is going home with HER. Then when Cory shows up, Kimberly immediately tries to bar him but he seems to instantly tap into an infinite reserve of charm and tells her that with her new [bandaged!] nose she reminds him of Bridget Fonda  so she lets him in .

Spoiler

( For those not around in 1998, it seemed that Miss Fonda was on her way to permanent superstar status but ,for whatever reasons, that was not to be and she seems to have dropped out of the business entirely while her Aunt Jane has revived her own career in the last decade)

. Then Cory is seen charming the whole room recounting how he rescued Shawn from a misadventure  which amuses Shawn who asks him what's happened to him but Cory just says that he's enjoying himself like Shawn wanted him to. Then Cory proceeds to do   rather nerdy dance moves(even back then) while Topanga comes in which Cory reacts by calling her the 'ex other half of my heart'. Topanga rightly calls him out for being 'not cool' then says she won't stay long to which Kimberly asks Topanga if it's okay for her to go out with Cory and Topanga says that the two of them are free to do what they want. Before Kimberly attempts to put any moves in Cory, Angela warns her that if she does that to her 'best friend's man' she (Angela) will make Kimberly's new nose look like her old one with echoing Kimberly's fake giggle. Then Cory is seen in a bathroom revealing the source of his new bravado- a whiskey bottle which he toasts himself.

Shawn knocks on the door and asks Cory what's he's been doing and says he's been in there for 'an hour and a half'

Spoiler

( which is odd that not one other partier would have noticed much less needed to have used the bathroom in all that time)

. Cory lets him in and proceeds to reveal his 'liquid courage' - the whiskey bottle he'd stolen from his father Alan's liquor cabinet. Then he urges Shawn to join him in his altered state to which Shawn puts up the tiniest resistance and drinks from the same bottle while both of them admit it's a rather nasty taste

Spoiler

(though I seriously doubt that the producers have actually used real whiskey instead of tea for this, both Ben Savage and Rider Strong DO rather convincingly convey legit reactions to first time consumption of hard liquor and whiskey)

.  Then they are last seen at in Kimberly's bathroom painfully consuming this bottle.

Spoiler

( Of  course, it's hard to know what had to have been more unrealistic and/or idiotic: Kimberly's unseen guardians evidently having let Kimberly host a party with other teens without so much as greeting the guests or, with Cory and Shawn excepted, none of these unsupervised teens attempting to get drunk or high).

Next Cory and Shawn are seen tipsily prowling the mean streets of Philly ( a fairly convincing reconstruction especially considering that this was for a sitcom shot before a live audience) and they convince a hardboiled man to use Cory's $10 to buy them $5 worth of beer.   Then they recount how they clever they were to pee on a the #72 cop car and Shawn does an impromptu (unscripted?) handstand taking a few steps  on said hands before righting himself to audience cheers. Then Cory says that with Shawn he doesn't need Topanga and Shawn declares that he'd take a bullet for Cory. Then with their new beers in hand, they toast each other to the best night and best friend ever- right when Squad Car #72 shows up and busts them.

Spoiler

(BTW, there's no explanation then or at any point of this episode of why Angela wasn't with them. It's possible that they might have walked Angela home  previous to their antic but as the episode progresses, she doesn't seem to have encountered them drunk until days later and if she left on her own it's surprising that she or Topanga wouldn't have called Shawn or Cory on this.)

Next scene has Alan angrily bring in Cory and Shawn into the Matthews's kitchen where Amy has been waiting up. Alan has just picked these two drunken teens up and is in an understandably foul mood. He literally gets in Shawn's face when he says that this stunt is rather unlike Cory's usual behavior and that 'someone' must have put Cory up to it. Cory tries to explain that he himself had broken into Alan's liquor cabinet but Alan refuses to believe it. Then Amy asks if Kimberly Sussman's party hadn't been within walking distance if they would have driven- to which Cory replies that he's not an idiot. Amy correctly notes that they'd 'PEED on a cop car'  and asks how smart that was . Cory then asks what the big deal since Alan drinks. This gets Alan to get into Cory's face and literally back Cory into a wall while poking his son with a finger angrily differentiating that Alan drinks 'responsibly' and when Cory can do what HE does he can get a job and get out of the house! Shawn then attempts to take the bullet for Cory by lying about having talked Cory into doing this. Alan then says he is sick and tired of overlooking Shawn's influence on Cory! Amy takes him into the next room. Then Cory asks Shawn why he lied to Alan. Shawn says that he (Shawn) is in no trouble since everyone expects him to screw up but he wants to restore Cory's rep in the Matthewses' eyes. Alan then says that Cory and Shawn will have to spend time apart which Shawn agrees to since it will put things back to 'normal' for Cory. Cory strongly objects and says that since he's been depressed about his breakup with Topanga he's felt empty and that's why HE broke into Alan's liquor cabinet and stole the whiskey and made SHAWN drink so he wouldn't be alone.  Alan finally believes Cory and sincerely apologizes to Shawn for having thought the worst of him (though it's not hard to see WHY he would have reached that conclusion). Cory says there will be more more drinking and Shawn appears to agree to the relief of the Matthewses. 

Monday's class has Mr. Feeny attempt to start detailing the lives of serfs under feudalism which instantly sets Shawn off who openly tells Mr. Feeny that 'he doesn't wanna' because it's BORING! Cory, Topanga and Angela all object to Shawn's disrupting and dissing Mr. Feeny's subject matter but Shawn sneers at Topanga and tells her she needs to sit on Cory's lap. Then when Mr. Feeny tries to tell Shawn they'll discuss the latter's outburst at the end of class, Shawn declares 'Let the boredom begin!' -to which an understandably exasperated Mr. Feeny orders him to leave the class which Shawn happily does. Cory asks Mr. Feeny if he can see if Shawn is OK and Mr. Feeny gives him permission to do so.

They next are seen in Jack's Apartment when Shawn makes a beeline to the fridge and pulls out a brewski bottle from the door shelf. Cory explodes and is furious that Shawn is drinking after having been kicked out of class, fighting all the way home , puking on Cory's shoes (though they seem spotless) AND after the two had promised the Matthewses that they'd no longer drink  . Shawn tells 'Cory the Monitor' to go home . Shawn then explains that he's gotten into the booze so Cory could worry about Shawn to take his mind off Topanga- though he then snottily advises Cory to go back to the school now that it's out and cry in front of her! Before Cory has a chance to respond, Jack walks into the apartment and is angry that Shawn is drinking

Spoiler

(how he didn't notice beer in the fridge over the weekend goes unaddressed since it seems Jack doesn't drink and there's never any indication that the naturally goofy Eric does)

. Shawn tries to blow him off to which Jack says that the reason Jack's mother left their mutual father was because Chet had been 'an abusive, ugly drunk' . This triggers Shawn to attempt to beat Jack up and shout at him never to talk about 'his father' again and Cory is barely able to pull Shawn off!  Jack is unbowed and declares that alcoholism is in their family and THAT is why Shawn shouldn't drink. Right at that moment Topanga and Angela walk into Jack's Apartment  without knocking

Spoiler

(for reasons that would stay unclear but the most likely explanation may have been that Angela was worried about Shawn and thought that would be where he'd have gone and Topanga went with Angela for emotional support despite the likelihood she'd have to see Cory there)

.  Angela is shocked that Shawn has been drinking (making it unlikely she'd encountered him after he got drunk in Kimberly Sussman's bathroom). Cory confesses that he,too, had gotten drunk at the party which appalls Topanga.- though he tries to add that he was an 'adorable drunk' which Topanga refutes. Shawn says Cory did that after the breakup and hostilely asks Topanga 'what's that about, I WONDER!' to which Cory tells Shawn to shut up then Cory says Shawn seemed to have liked drinking too much  after that party. Jack asks Shawn 'what's that about, I WONDER!'. Shawn then says he drinks because it makes him feel 'good'. Angela is still upset and asks Shawn to talk about it with her and then asks him to step outside so they can talk in private while taking his arm. Shawn shoves her into the wall! Then an even more upset Angela declares that she doesn't like to see him drunk and tells him to call her when he isn't then leaves. Topanga follows her to console her about what happened. Shawn tearily asks what happened (could he have had a flashback something he'd seen Chet do to Virna?)

The next day, Shawn shows up at the Matthewses' Kitchen to declare that he's quit drinking and that he understands if Alan doesn't want Cory to be around him for all the dumb stunts he pulls. Alan says that he'd said stuff he shouldn't have said because he was under the influence of alcohol but clarified it that THEY (Shawn and Cory ) were not him but he didn't like seeing them drunk. Cory, is still grounded so he can't join Shawn who then says that Angela is not returning his calls.

The day after that, Shawn apologizes to Mr. Feeny for his outburst offering his teacher an apple and/or $12. Mr. Feeny sincerely declares the only thing he wants from Shawn is for Shawn to be OK and then congratulates Shawn for agreeing to see someone with Jack about his drinking. Then Shawn also apologizes to Topanga having sent her  a fruit basket minus an apple. Lastly, he apologizes to Angela saying he doesn't like himself when he drinks to which Angela replies that she sure likes him when he DOESN'T! 

Despite the goofs and quirks, this is a fairly good episode, IMO and both Rider Strong and Ben Savage do great jobs conveying teens using alcohol to numb themselves to their pain so they don't have to face their issues but wind up getting worse issues over it! 

• Love 1

McGee has now revealed that one of the actors from the show has apologized. She wrote on Instagram, “WILL FRIEDLE the man responsible for AuntJemmagate, apologized to me 22 years ago and again days ago in a in a three-page letter. We talked more on it and he acknowledged that he really wasn’t educated enough in his early twenties to know he was truly offending me.”

• Love 1

I always sensed McGee's distance from the rest of the cast, even back when the the show was on the air. In some of the BMW bloopers and outtakes McGee rarely smiled and didn't seem to be having as much fun as the other actors. I thought it was because she was more mature and wanted to be more professional, but after finding out about everything that happened BTS McGee's apparent lack of humor explains a lot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1