Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Caroling Dusk

• Start Topic

(edited)

Confession:  I have been squeeing over the Nova and Robert Dubois pairing, so I was excited to see him back this week. When Nova turned him down initially, I was UP-SET. I'm glad and relieved that they came together at the end.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 10

This show would be infinitely more appealing if it was just about Nova and Charley.

Yup.  I do enjoy Hollywood and Vi though. 

Just when I was softening up to RA with the Antoine/Antoinette story, he had to go give Darla the bitchface for going to work for Charley. Like he can't even be happy for her getting a job and maintaining the independence that she clearly stated is important to her. He'd rather her be Suzy Homemaker just because that's what he wants, regardless of whether its conducive to her recovery or not. I am so sick of Ralph Angel's blatant selfishness.

• Love 16

The way RA let Blue behave over the doll was ridiculous, he was trashing that living room and RA was just letting him do it. I bet he didn't clean it up either and yet RA called Charley soft on Micah?

Nice that Charley gave Darla a job. She needs it for her recovery and RA's look also makes me hate him. She lost her job because she's a fool who went running when he selfishly asked her to leave it to help him when she didn't need to be there. She gets another one, that his sister nicely gives her and he gets attitude on his face? 

Complete opposite of the way Hollywood supports Vi's pie making and has her back. 

I guess Davis will hook up with that girl from Habitat? I did like Davis and Micah talking over basketball and hearing Micah open up. 

Robert's ok, but I really miss Calvin. I felt like there was so much more story to tell there.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

Yup.  I do enjoy Hollywood and Vi though. 

Just when I was softening up to RA with the Antoine/Antoinette story, he had to go give Darla the bitchface for going to work for Charley. Like he can't even be happy for her getting a job and maintaining the independence that she clearly stated is important to her. He'd rather her be Suzy Homemaker just because that's what he wants, regardless of whether its conducive to her recovery or not. I am so sick of Ralph Angel's blatant selfishness.

Look, I understand what you are saying. But, it's also clear just by how Charley is that this will not work because of the way she is. RA knows this because he's already in that position. It's also just going to end up causing more drama in the long run. Charley and RA don't need any more issues and Darla doesn't need the drama with this family. She makes any fuck up and it's going to be high drama. Darla will be extra stressed because of the family connection, Charley will not suffer for weakness and RA will want to defend Darla. It's just doomed the fail. I hope I'm wrong. But, I've seen the way these people operate.  I could see Darla working for Nova working out. Not Charley. Love the character but nah.

• Love 3

Look, I understand what you are saying. But, it's also clear just by how Charley is that this will not work because of the way she is. RA knows this because he's already in that position. It's also just going to end up causing more drama in the long run. Charley and RA don't need any more issues and Darla doesn't need the drama with this family. She makes any fuck up and it's going to be high drama. Darla will be extra stressed because of the family connection, Charley will not suffer for weakness and RA will want to defend Darla. It's just doomed the fail. I hope I'm wrong. But, I've seen the way these people operate.  I could see Darla working for Nova working out. Not Charley. Love the character but nah.

Agreed. No matter what, Darla is going to be sucked into their BS. It's not a good idea in the long run. But I don't even think RA is considering the impact the position will have on Darla. That wasn't a look of concern. Nothing about RA's character indicates that he will have that maturity to say to her "It's not a good idea to take the job. I don't think its a good for your recovery to get involved in the mess between me and my sister."  That look was pure jealously that Charley is still calling  the shots on what he feels is rightfully his.

I really hated hearing Hollywood say "Well, he was at the farm while the girls were living their lives." Who cares? He has no money and he's constantly putting himself in situations where he's one step away from going back to jail on parole violation. He would have nothing without Charley's investment. What money he did spend on the farm was on bad cane. And even though he didn't do anything wrong tonight, per se  the only reason why he was spared from going to jail is because his buddy happened to vouch for him. Yet he still doesn't get it and next week he's still going to carry on with that stupid letter.

I don't think I've ever seen a character written so unaware and so arrogant.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Agreed. No matter what, Darla is going to be sucked into their BS. It's not a good idea in the long run. But I don't even think RA is considering the impact the position will have on Darla. That wasn't a look of concern. Nothing about RA's character indicates that he will have that maturity to say to her "It's not a good idea to take the job. I don't think its a good for your recovery to get involved in the mess between me and my sister."  That look was pure jealously that Charley is still calling  the shots on what he feels is rightfully his.

I really hated hearing Hollywood say "Well, he was at the farm while the girls were living their lives." Who cares? He has no money and he's constantly putting himself in situations where he's one step away from going back to jail on parole violation. He would have nothing without Charley's investment. What money he did spend on the farm was on bad cane. And even though he didn't do anything wrong tonight, per se  the only reason why he was spared from going to jail is because his buddy happened to vouch for him. Yet he still doesn't get it and next week he's still going to carry on with that stupid letter.

Obviously, their dad cared. Hollywood statement was correct, Nova and Charley were the first to want to sell, they wanted to go back to living their own lives as quickly has possible. RA attachment has always been sentimental and a way to prove he's more then his life decisions have been so far. The latter reason is why Earnest changed his well ( if I'm rembering the letter correctly), and why RA is stuck on it, Earnest is co-signing what RA personally feels, " I'm great at this!", also explains RA beaming whenever other people praise him at his farming plans (tells me alot about how Earnest raised him). Earnest was just beginning to really teach RA farming before he died, so of course RA would make mistakes (bad cane).  Earnest had to realize he fucked up somewhere in his raising of RA. We already know he didn't push the farm off onto his children, Nova and Charley had their own career aspirations, they were excelling.  All the kids feelings about the farm didn't aligned until they learned the full history of it's existence in their family. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Ralph Angel was the one who was gung ho to sell the farm. The only reason he was more attached to the farm than his sisters is because he had less options than they did.

Charley's response to the B/L offer was measured. She did her due diligence into the B/L's business but never gave them a firm commitment about selling.

Nova's response to the B/L offer wasn't even shown.

After Vi & Prosper explained the harrowing Bordelon family history, the N/C/RA decided not to sell.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Dee said:

Ralph Angel was the one who was gung ho to sell the farm. The only reason he was more attached to the farm than his sisters is because he had less options than they did.

Charley's response to the B/L offer was measured. She did her due diligence into the B/L's business but never gave them a firm commitment about selling.

Nova's response to the B/L offer wasn't even shown.

After Vi & Prosper explained the harrowing Bordelon family history, the N/C/RA decided not to sell.

I'm talking about the very beginning of the series, S01E03 was the reading of the well and the initial talk of selling the farm.  RA was pissed then about a Charley and Nova wanting to sale.

The Bordelon kids didn't learn the true history of the farm until S01E10 and there was a second offer on the table, the farm was up and running at the time, was when RA wanted to sale.

Edited by notagain
(edited)

RA was angry about his sisters wanting to sell the farm in s01e03, yet he had no intention of following in his father's footsteps either.

In the pilot he's looking for work elsewhere, in between robbing convenience stores. 

And even after the Bordelon sibs decide not to sell the farm, RA still isn't equipped to work there.

It's only when the situation at his warehouse job proves untenable, and he's gotta scramble to avoid a parole violation, that he attempts full-time farm work.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

Oh hello again Robert! Nice to see you again so soon! He and Nova will be a fun couple I think, for a second I was so pissed off she was blowing him off, but it looks like they're going to be back together again. I'm still a little sad we lost the Calvin/Nova story, but Robert seems like a cool guy, and he seems to challenge Nova, albeit in a much different way. Also, I'm pretty sure Micah is already super pumped for Robert to be his new uncle. "Dad this is Robert he's a doctor and he travels and he's super cool, right Aunt Nova?!?!"

RA was being better this week than last week, but his face when Darla announced that Charlie was getting her a job at the mill was pure pissyness. I mean, Darla joining the family business will definitely start new drama, especially now that Charlie is her boss, and especially because RA still has Chekov's will laying around, and he probably knows, on some level, that he will be playing that card the next time Nova or Charlie tries to do something he doesn't like with the farm. Its going to lead to Darla getting dragged into her family drama, but I don't think RA thought about that. He just hates the idea that Darla is going to be attached to the rest of his family, and probably considers it another power by Charlie. Or, he wants Darla to be a housewife who just hangs out on the farm taking care of Blue. Whatever dude. On the other hand, Darla gets jealous over dolls, so RA isn't the only weirdo in the house. I know its a metaphor, but still. Tossing your kids favorite you because you feel jealous of it sounds like a conversation to be had with your sponsor.

Looks like Davis will hook up with that woman from Habitat. If nothing else, I think that the scene between Micah and Davis playing basketball was the most I've really felt like Davis has ever been sincere.

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

He just hates the idea that Darla is going to be attached to the rest of his family, and probably considers it another power by Charlie.

RA keeps saying his sisters are impediments to his success but if it weren't for them he'd be nowhere.

They keep making concessions, to and for, him yet he swears all they do is take away everything that makes him happy.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Dee said:

RA was angry about his sisters wanting to sell the farm in s01e03, yet he had no intention of following in his father's footsteps either.

In the pilot he's looking for work elsewhere, in between robbing convenience stores. 

And even after the Bordelon sibs decide not to sell the farm, RA still isn't equipped to work there.

It's only when the situation at his warehouse job proves untenable, and he's gotta scramble to avoid a parole violation, that he attempts full-time farm work.

Well at first he was trying to farm full time but he couldn't because of the terms of his parole, he had to have papers so he had to keep working at that shitty job.

And when he asked Charley  to sign off on those papers so his full time at the farm would count, she was being a bitch about it.  RA only truly have issues with Charley that could be childhood resentment, or just resentment for how she's been treating him since they have started this venture together, or a combination of both. 

(edited)

RA demands the land/house so 'Blue and he can have a fresh start,' but as Nova and Charley point out farming is tough work and RA lacked the resources to get anything done.

Then when he suggests farming to his parole officer, after skipping out on a pre-planned job interview, he's met with supreme skepticism and a referral to the warehouse job. 

Charley isn't a bitch to him. She's definitely short with him, but their meeting occurs the same day as her heated confrontation with Nova and after RA had proven a huge liability, thanks to not telling her their mill deal lapsed, and, of course, his seed cane debacle.

But, as usual, RA prioritized his needs during their conversation, without considering anyone else's feelings, leading Charley to stomp out of the High Yellow in a righteous snit, after having been thoroughly taken advantage of twice in one day.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

What I think is great about this show, is that none of the characters are either or, they're not 100% bad or 100% good.  Sometimes I like RA, other times I can't stand him.  

One thing I think is interesting about this show, is how racism has fucked and does fuck with people's heads.  Racism tells black people, "you don't deserve anything good in life, you're disposable, you're not human."  I feel this is true for the some of the women in this show.  Nova, Charley, Vi.  Sometimes I sense that deep down, they really don't think they're worth it, that no one could really love them.  Why is Nova sleeping with random white men?  Last season, Vi was angry at Hollywood, and I got that, but she practically did a 180 on him; yes, Hollywood was wrong for lying, but I had a good friend whose boyfriend lied to her about something important, she was upset but understood why he lied, they eventually got married.

What I like about Darla is that she understands that in order for she and RA to make it, she has to be able to stand on her own two feet; she has to want RA, not need him.  He can't be her higher power.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Also, I'm pretty sure Micah is already super pumped for Robert to be his new uncle. "Dad this is Robert he's a doctor and he travels and he's super cool, right Aunt Nova?!?!"

That was funny. I was definitely not expecting that level of enthusiasm from Micah.

• Love 5
(edited)

The topic about Blue and how RA (and the rest) raises him is always a fascinating one. I'm usually torn because on the one hand, Blue is at an age where RA (and Darla and the rest) can let him know that there are certain boundaries. On the other hand, though, I feel as though the show is also trying to talk about Black children just having the freedom to *be* children, which includes testing boundaries and not having to be straight-laced all the time. I can see RA letting Blue have his moment to be in his feelings about missing Kenya then later saying, "OK, it's time to straighten up. Let's put everything back where they need to be."

All of this also ties into how RA doesn't care that Blue plays with a Barbie, which also connects to what we learned about one of his friendships pre-lock up: That Toine is transgender and RA just let him be, even when he was't sure what he wanted to be back when they were in high school. RA's relationship with Toine is a very different narrative from the "Oh, Black people are so homophobic. Black people are transphobic" narrative that gets peddled quite often. (News flash: Black people are no more--or exceptionally--homophobic than White people.)

As for Nova and Dr. Dubois--I really did clap when he showed up! I like him, and I'm glad that Nova finally let him know that she likes him as well (though I get her hesitation). She seems very cautious since Calvin. While it's easy to just get it in just to get it in, Dubois is letting her know that he really likes her and wants more than just a quick fling. I'm looking forward to seeing their connection grow.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 11
45 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

As for Nova and Dr. Dubois--I really did clap when he showed up! I like him, and I'm glad that Nova finally let him know that she likes him as well (though I get her hesitation). She seems very cautious since Calvin. While it's easy to just get it in just to get it in, Dubois is letting her know that he really likes her and wants more than just a quick fling. I'm looking forward to seeing their connection grow.

When he breathily complimented her beauty? I swooned.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Dee said:

No joke. I totally ship the two of them. What's not to like? She is gorgeous, he is very handsome. He is a deep thinker and wants Nova to acknowledge that about herself. She has a right to ask for more for herself and not just some random fucks. He challenges her (and accepts her) on a very deep intellectual level, which is such a wonderful thing to see in a relationship. If I were young again, Dr. Dubois is exactly the type of man I would desire. 

I agree that we need to remember that Blue is still a child and his tantrum is not necessarily out of bounds. It is important to allow children (who are still learning everything) to express their feelings and they learn as they have more life experiences what is more appropriate. I think that Kenya served as a substitute mom for Blue and I personally wouldn't come down too hard on him for this first time. That doll is very important to him and he has had some upheaval in his life. He is a smart child and one has to remember what is age appropriate. I often see parents who want their 4 year old to act like they are 18. This sometimes screws kids up because they have internalized that their parent's love is conditional on being "perfect". A state which has an ever changing goal post. They can never win.  I think that we see that with Charley. I liked the therapist and I think it will actually be good for Charley. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I love them too. My lord he's beautiful in his admiration for her beauty inside and out. Yes Nova, THIS is what you deserve, not being second best. Hell, you were allowing yourself to be treated further down the line than that even. 

My issue with Calvin did not have anything to do with him being a cop, his race, I didn't care. My number one issue was his wife and kids, no thank you. You made  your choice, you stick with your spouse. If you want out, then legally divorce said spouse before moving on, period. I'm not interested in hearing about extenuating circumstances blah, blah, blah. I hate cheaters and people who want to have their cake and eat it too.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 8

Aw, Dr. Dubois has a little crush. And he's quite the Renaissance man. He's a good match for Nova but I wonder what the hitch will turn out to be? There's always a hitch.

Isn't Blue too old for Darla to be giving him a bath?

I think Charley's mother must be one of the most anticipated characters on a TV show in a while. Oprah and Ava have a lot riding on this casting. I've been imagining Valarie Pettiford but per IMDb she's probably not available. Maybe they'll cast a White actress but I hope not because that might mean Charley is indeed related to the Boudreaux family and I rather the show didn't go down that road.

I guess Davis will hook up with that girl from Habitat?

Of course. Wonder how that'll sit with Charley since this woman isn't like a sidepiece who has to stay in the background. She's apparently at least as famous as Davis and didn't seem to be daunted by him at all.

Robert's ok, but I really miss Calvin. I felt like there was so much more story to tell there.

I think Robert is more than okay but I wish they'd bring Calvin back too. Seems like there's unfinished business he and Nova could address after he's divorced. Maybe Nova could be considering two suitors, one she has a long history with but who comes with significant baggage, and another who has a lot of promise but lives three states away. Plus, Calvin has that hot body.

1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

No joke. I totally ship the two of them. What's not to like? She is gorgeous, he is very handsome. He is a deep thinker and wants Nova to acknowledge that about herself. She has a right to ask for more for herself and not just some random fucks. He challenges her (and accepts her) on a very deep intellectual level, which is such a wonderful thing to see in a relationship. If I were young again, Dr. Dubois is exactly the type of man I would desire. 

Plus, he can carpenter. Seriously, he had me at the circular saw.

I'm sure another shoe will drop because there has to be drama, but right now I'm enjoying this storyline a lot.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Aw, Dr. Dubois has a little crush. And he's quite the Renaissance man. He's a good match for Nova but I wonder what the hitch will turn out to be? There's always a hitch.

I think Charley's mother must be one of the most anticipated characters on a TV show in a while. Oprah and Ava have a lot riding on this casting. I've been imagining Valarie Pettiford but per IMDb she's probably not available. Maybe they'll cast a White actress but I hope not because that might mean Charley is indeed related to the Boudreaux family and I rather the show didn't go down that road.

I think Dr Dubois has a BIG crush!

Charley's mom will almost certainly be fairly light if not white.  I think Charley would know if her mother was a Boudreaux/Landry, so I, too, hope they don't go down that road.

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:15 AM, AgentRXS said:

I didn't like it either. It looked as if he was justifying RA behavior to claim the land. Even if RA was living at the farm with Ernest while Nova and Charley were living their lives, he obviously didn't do much farming or learn much from his Dad given the blunder with the bad cane and not noticing the white fly invasion. When Ernest died, RA  wasn't interested in the farm either. They all agreed to keep the farm until it makes a profit and sell it. Everything changed when they learned the story behind the land. When Ernest was alive and the Bordelon siblings were kids, it doesn't seem anyone was interested in farming. Maybe Ernest tried to get Nova and RA interested since they grew up there like a parent wanting a child to take over the family business but the kids had other interests. Now that he's working on the family farm and finally developing an interest in it, maybe RA is getting what his father had been trying to tell him but that doesn't make it right what he's trying to do.

I think we all kind of suspected from last week Darla will be working for Charley or RA but as it has been mentioned this can be very bad given the tension with Charley and RA. If Darla gives any indication she agrees with Charley in any way, RA is going to lose it. He had such a sourpuss face when he learned Darla will be working for Charley.

Darla handled the Kenya situation the wrong way. She should’ve talked to Blue and RA more about Kenya to understand why Blue cares for the doll so much.

Speaking of Blue, I thought I had a meltdown crying when my Winnie the Pooh bear’s chest exploded in the washer and the washer was covered in Pooh fur. Thankfully Mom was able to re-stuff Pooh and sew his chest back up (lol) but Blue’s meltdown….wow. I don’t think it happened but Blue should’ve been forced to clean up the mess he made.

Hopefully Nova and DuBois can make it work even with the distance.

I can see why Micah asked his Dad if he was a sex addict. Besides the incident that lead to his parent’s divorce, the way Davis looked at the lady at Habitat, would raised eyebrows.

I think that was the fourth reference of Charley’s Mom. She has to be appearing this season. Just our luck, it’ll probably be during a mid or a season finale. I cannot wait to see the interaction with her and Vi and Nova.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

Darla handled the Kenya situation the wrong way. She should’ve talked to Blue and RA more about Kenya to understand why Blue cares for the doll so much.

I was fearing that she didn't want him to play with any doll, so, bad as it was, it could have been worse. 

• Love 2

I think Charley would know if her mother was a Boudreaux/Landry,

Not necessarily. Her mother might've been an "outside child" whose true paternity was never legally acknowledged. Or there could be some passing involved, going back several generations.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Not necessarily. Her mother might've been an "outside child" whose true paternity was never legally acknowledged. Or there could be some passing involved, going back several generations.

But if no one knows she's a Boudreaux/Landry, what's the point?

Agreed. The Boudreaux/Landrys aren't the only white people in Louisiana, and I really hope that they don't go that direction for her, because its a little too predictable.

I haven't seen her in anything lately so I don't know if she still acts or if her acting is any good anymore, but for some reason, when I think of Charley's mom, I think of Jasmine Guy. Assuming Charley is around my age (early-to-mid 30s), Jasmine is just around the right age for the part. And we all know "bougie" is in her wheelhouse LOL.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Agreed. The Boudreaux/Landrys aren't the only white people in Louisiana, and I really hope that they don't go that direction for her, because its a little too predictable.

I haven't seen her in anything lately so I don't know if she still acts or if her acting is any good anymore, but for some reason, when I think of Charley's mom, I think of Jasmine Guy. Assuming Charley is around my age (early-to-mid 30s), Jasmine is just around the right age for the part. And we all know "bougie" is in her wheelhouse LOL.

Whitney and Colonel Taylor? Oh the double betrayal Dwayne must feel. :)

• Love 10

But if no one knows she's a Boudreaux/Landry, what's the point?

Oh for sure some people know--if there's anything to know--including Charley's mother. These kinds of things would've been whispered about among the older generations. The proof would be a mere DNA test away though it's unlikely the Boudreaux/Landry scions would cooperate. Their worlds could get turned upside down if Charley suddenly had a legal claim to the land and other property that had been passed down. It would be a pretty soap opera-ish development though and this show has generally stayed away from that kind of stuff.

On 7/14/2017 at 6:20 PM, Arcadiasw said:

but Blue’s meltdown….wow. I don’t think it happened but Blue should’ve been forced to clean up the mess he made.

While I'm all about teaching children how to clean up after themselves, and under any other circumstance I'd agree, but in this case, I'll give RA a pass on it if he left Blue alone and let him be in his feelings. Kenya isn't just any ol' toy. She's his security blanket. I'm sure he's attached to Kenya because she's a substitute for Darla, so 'losing' her probably felt like losing his mother all over again. One of the many things that's refreshing about this show is that Blue is allowed to just be. No hitting, no expecting him to act older than he is. Now, I'm not saying that he shouldn't have boundaries and be spoiled, but I appreciate that he's treated like the child he is.

19 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

That would be so awesome. Though I place Charley as more early 40s only because of Micah's age.

• Love 3

I'm not ashamed to admit that when the scene opened on Blue having an episode, my first thought was, "What is he crying about now?"  I had t stop and think that Vlue is a child and it has just been the past few episodes where we saw him crying over things, but because those episodes were back to back, it seems like more of a pattern than it might be.  When I found it why he was crying, I felt bad.

As for Darla'a actions, it shows that contrary to her assertion that she is, "Good," she is in actuality anything but.  No stable parent throws out her child's toy because she is jealous of it, no parent who is ready to fully parent her six-year old throws out his child because she is jealous of it.  Darla has a long way to go and RA's RAness is not going to help her.  While I know she needs a job, I agree with the poster above who noted that being in the middle of the tensions between RA and Charley is a slippery slope that will not end well for her.

I liked RA's conversation with Antoine.  It shows a different side of the RA character and shows that if Blue's need for Kenya is rooted in something more than being just a security blanket as RA thinks might be the case, we know Blue will have at least one person in his life who loves him unconditionally. So few children in this world have that and even fewer gay/bi/trans children.

I know people seem to like Robert and I hope he is what he seems to be, but there is something not quite right there and I can't put my finger on what it is.  I hope I'm wrong, but...  Either way, I hope Robert serves as a bridge to addressing my issue with Nova -- that she serves as a soapbox with character traits rather than an actual character.

Still loving Vi and Hollywood and seeing their adult and loving relationship.

This episode proves how little I need to see of Davis.  I have zero interest in him and his potential next conquest.  I would much rather the show flesh ot actual core characters than treat us to the Davis chronicles.

• Love 5

This episode proves how little I need to see of Davis.  I have zero interest in him and his potential next conquest.  I would much rather the show flesh ot actual core characters than treat us to the Davis chronicles.

This. I'm not sure why this show seems to be giving him a storyline outside Micah or Charley. I don't care about him at all.

That would be so awesome. Though I place Charley as more early 40s only because of Micah's age.

Dawn Lyen is 37 in real life so I guess if she's playing older....my girl Jasmine can too LOL. I just really hope whoever plays Charley's mom really lives up to the anticipation.

• Love 1

I am going to assume that no one posted the press release about who is guest appearing in Season 2.  If people want to know who will be playing Charley's mother, the press release will be linked in the media thread.  

I don't fully remember all of my comments about this particular episode but RA still annoys me the most because it seems like his actions get the least reprimand.  Charley gets called out the most and Nova occasionally but I rarely see anyone calling RA out without someone/something justify his actions later.  

Another thing I have been wondering this season is, why is Micah in school (kinda) but not Blue? Or did I miss where Blue is going to school as well?!?!

If people want to know who will be playing Charley's mother, the press release will be linked in the media thread. 

All I can say is while the choice isn't entirely unexpected, I would've never seen that particlar actress coming because I wouldn't have thought her old enough. Should be interesting.

I get Blue being upset about his missing doll, what I don't think is right is that he was tearing up the house, making a mess and yelling about it. There were other ways for RA to handle that. Let him go to his room and cry it out, then when he calms down, go console him. That to me is an example of what's to come. I have a feeling that along with the problems of Darla working for Charley, Darla and RA are going to have serious disagreements about how to raise Blue. 

Hollywood and Vi- Yikes, his ass kissing is a bit too much for me. He's always around. I don't see him wanting to give Vi much space. She mentioned it a few times. He needs to get a job. 

13 hours ago, AyeshaTheGreat said:

I am going to assume that no one posted the press release about who is guest appearing in Season 2.  If people want to know who will be playing Charley's mother, the press release will be linked in the media thread.  

I don't fully remember all of my comments about this particular episode but RA still annoys me the most because it seems like his actions get the least reprimand.  Charley gets called out the most and Nova occasionally but I rarely see anyone calling RA out without someone/something justify his actions later.  

Another thing I have been wondering this season is, why is Micah in school (kinda) but not Blue? Or did I miss where Blue is going to school as well?!?!

Interesting choice for Charley's mother. The actress is 56 and the actress playing Charley is 37, so she's old enough to have been a young mother to Charley. (Rutina Wesley is only a year older than Dawn-Lyen Gardner - they were classmates at Juilliard - and Kofi Siriboe is much younger at 23.)

Spoiler

So Charley is biracial and the other siblings aren't. That's an interesting dynamic.

Blue's teacher was on the show last season. It looked like he and RA had a flirtation, which I actually liked, but that's over. Wasn't there a fight between Blue and another classmate this season, or was that last season?

15 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

As for Darla'a actions, it shows that contrary to her assertion that she is, "Good," she is in actuality anything but.  No stable parent throws out her child's toy because she is jealous of it, no parent who is ready to fully parent her six-year old throws out his child because she is jealous of it.  Darla has a long way to go and RA's RAness is not going to help her.  While I know she needs a job, I agree with the poster above who noted that being in the middle of the tensions between RA and Charley is a slippery slope that will not end well for her.

I agree about Darla. I read a recap of this episode before I saw it and it said that she threw the doll away, and I assumed that she'd done it by accident. I thought maybe she'd been cleaning or something and Kenya was in a pile of stuff that got thrown out. When she said she'd done it on purpose, I was like " ...?" because to me that is Not Done. I can see feeling like your kid is too old for a security blanket (and I don't think Blue is at that age yet), but to throw your kid's doll out because you're jealous of it is like ... what?

I really like Micah. If 16-year-old me were a character on this show, she would be crushing on him hard. I like his relationship with Nova (he was adorable fan-boying all over Dr. DuBois), and I loved the scene with him and Davis playing basketball. You can see he's really trying to understand his dad and work through his anger. That scene was the first I've thought Davis was being real. (I do not think he needs his own storyline though.)

The line that stuck with me the most was from Vi, when she said "Yesterday hurt my feelings." Who hasn't had a day like that, where you just feel like it beat you down?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

I'm not ashamed to admit that when the scene opened on Blue having an episode, my first thought was, "What is he crying about now?"  I had t stop and think that Vlue is a child and it has just been the past few episodes where we saw him crying over things, but because those episodes were back to back, it seems like more of a pattern than it might be.  When I found it why he was crying, I felt bad.

I think that both RA and Darla are emotionally stunted and immature.  It was immature of Darla to throw out Blue's toy.  Eventually, Blue will get tired of Kenya and put her away on his own; Kenya is his security blanket, pure and simple.  Darla was immature to throw it away.  

I think Blue has had the opportunity to be a child because Vi raised him for much of his life, while RA was in jail and Darla was on drugs.  With Vi he probably could be a child; he didn't have to grow up fast in order to parent immature parents.  Vi is a mature woman, which was why I was annoyed with RA last season when he felt that HE should decide Blue should go on a trip, since he's his father.  I felt that Vi was more of a parent to Blue for most of the child's life, than either RA or Darla was.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Blue's teacher was on the show last season. It looked like he and RA had a flirtation, which I actually liked, but that's over. Wasn't there a fight between Blue and another classmate this season, or was that last season?

The fight with the kid in Blue's class was last season.

There's a cut scene from last season that sorta resolves RA & Reyna's brief flirtation

I really like Micah. If 16-year-old me were a character on this show, she would be crushing on him hard. I like his relationship with Nova (he was adorable fan-boying all over Dr. DuBois), and I loved the scene with him and Davis playing basketball. You can see he's really trying to understand his dad and work through his anger. That scene was the first I've thought Davis was being real. (I do not think he needs his own storyline though.)

Me too! I also like that for all his adoration of his Auntie Nova, he also LOVES his mama.

The scene where Charley nervously asks him if he wants to see a movie, with her, as he joins her painting the wall was too sweet. Charley is often jealous of his relationship to Nova, but she has nothing to worry about because Micah is certainly HER son.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/15/2017 at 8:58 PM, Happytobehere said:

As for Darla'a actions, it shows that contrary to her assertion that she is, "Good," she is in actuality anything but.  No stable parent throws out her child's toy because she is jealous of it, no parent who is ready to fully parent her six-year old throws out his child because she is jealous of it.  

That was a serious WTF moment for me. My jaw dropped. I think it was intended to show just how on the edge she is. But man alive, that was a terrible thing to do. RA was fairly certain that the doll had nothing to do with her (as in, a substitute for her). My guess is that at the moment, Kendra may connect to Blue's own sense of self. I don't think it's an accident that the episode introduced us to RA's transgender friend.

I'm no Davis fan, but I thought his 3-Point game approach worked really well for Micah, and showed some parenting skills. He's still a sleaze,  but I liked that he owned up to it.

As for Dubois and Nova - be still my beating heart.  I don't know about every woman, but he certainly would have knocked me off my feet when I was unattached. Respect and appreciation are just about the sexiest things on earth. And the package doesn't hurt either.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

I have to give the show credit for something they actually used traditional Aboriginal smudging correctly. Although usually you wouldn't put a candle in your abalone shell. The ashes from sage can be used for personal smudging for one.