Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Keenan Vortex

• Start Topic

So, if Box 2 shipment was incinerated (along with the driver -"thoughts and prayers, of course"- Jack ), how does partnering with Keenan help him meet the delivery date faster?  Jack's team said Box 2 launch would be late by "two quarters", but HooliCon is in a week.  What kind of magic can Keenan do to fix that?  I just really want to see "Jack in the Box" descend from on high.

1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

So, if Box 2 shipment was incinerated (along with the driver -"thoughts and prayers, of course"- Jack ), how does partnering with Keenan help him meet the delivery date faster?  Jack's team said Box 2 launch would be late by "two quarters", but HooliCon is in a week.  What kind of magic can Keenan do to fix that?  I just really want to see "Jack in the Box" descend from on high.

I think Jack was planning/hoping to use Keenan's VR instead of Box 2.  He just wanted to have something to excite the croweds at HooliCon

• Love 6
(edited)
10 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

So Keenan's VR at Hoolicon will NOT use Richard's algorithm, correct?

It sounds like it kind of does as Hooli has their own version of Richard's algorithm.  Since Keenan is partnering with Hooli, then he can essentially use theirs. 

I'm wondering if Hoolicon might actually give the team a decent sized win.  It'd be interesting to see them get their own place next season (housing/office) if Erlich is gone.  Plus seeing a return to season 2, but this time without a board to push someone like Jack Barker would be interesting place to go.  I honestly thought that perhaps Keenan would be the new member of the crew.  As he's a better hype man than Erlich and kind of what PP needs.  

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 4

So buying Pied Piper was the only way Keenan could get access to middle-out?  He couldn't, I dunno, license it?  This show keeps trying to get us to look past the most simple, obvious solutions.  In order to make sure these guys keep getting shit on endlessly, which is ... comedy gold? 

There's been a few bright spots but this season continues to mostly disappoint.  Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm pretty tired of Erlich Bachman.  

• Love 6

So they watch a clip of one of Gavin's keynotes, talking about how he's probably the greatest showman in the history of the tech industry.

And they're watching it on an iMac, with the Apple logos prominently displayed.  

In this alternative Silicon Valley, Apple exists but Steve Jobs didn't?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, henripootel said:

So buying Pied Piper was the only way Keenan could get access to middle-out?  He couldn't, I dunno, license it?  This show keeps trying to get us to look past the most simple, obvious solutions.  In order to make sure these guys keep getting shit on endlessly, which is ... comedy gold? 

Indeed. Licencing the algorithm would have seemed a more rad solution. Though, it ultimately likely would have still lead to the same place, with Keenan leveraging it into his Hooli acquisition, so we at least get the scenes of Richard at least showing some sense in his negotiations, without Erlich.

"Dinesh, how much are tickets to Hooli-con?" "Why would I know that?" - Fantastic button, as Richard's rolling, we get grounded again with something sensible, and easily resolved.

• Love 1

Erlich's departure makes sense given the course of events for this season. There's only so many times you can kick someone down before they give up. Richard hasn't reached that point yet, but Erlich's ego may have gotten that point. He had stock in Pied Piper -- lost it, had Bighead -- lost him, had Bream & Hall -- ran off to chase behind Keenan and then he lost that, too. He's probably considered tech poison at this point. 

• Love 4

I'm going to miss TJ so freaking much.

God Dinesh's "why would I know that" was perfection.

I also hate the constant losing and Richard can be so annoying but Martin and Kunail doing what they do makes it all worth it.

• Love 5

I loved Richard so much in season one. He's kind of an ass now.

But he was vindicated by his reaction to Keenan. I thought he was being just dickish but turns out he was right all along.

And I want to see them win in the end.

• Love 2
(edited)

Where the heck IS Bighead? He just disappeared after that ep where Erlich tried to coopt the students into working.

Loved that for once, nobody was mad at Richard.

I think Keenan jumped at Jack's offer because it would give him a similar algorithm AND a deal that he liked better. I don't think he would have ditched PP and Erlich so fast otherwise. Guessing that this is the reason he won't steal Richard's algorithm too.

I'm excited that the last two eps will presumably focus on the Hooli con and a scrappy initiative by the guys. Reminds me of the end of season 1. "Which one? Which one? Which one?"

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, cyberfruit said:

Erlich's departure makes sense given the course of events for this season. There's only so many times you can kick someone down before they give up. Richard hasn't reached that point yet, but Erlich's ego may have gotten that point. He had stock in Pied Piper -- lost it, had Bighead -- lost him, had Bream & Hall -- ran off to chase behind Keenan and then he lost that, too. He's probably considered tech poison at this point. 

I was really afraid for a second he was going to die in the fire, I'm glad they didn't do that.

• Love 7

much stronger episode than last week's. I busted out laughing at Dinesh at the end. Perfect application of the rule of threes. 

Jack's model Jack in the Box was an excellent sight gag, and Jared's break-up sweater and  all of them facing the back door were excellent callbacks. 

Can't wait for Hoolicon, and am hoping that Gavin Belson makes his return there. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I feel like Jack just bought it for the "vee are" pun....and the buzz to detract from the fact the box isn't there.  

• Love 2

For one insane moment, I was totally sure that Erlich was going to set himself on fire. I can see why he is going to leave the show though. The guy has such an ego, and that ego has been smashed so many times, its amazing he's even still anywhere near Silicon Valley at this point. For all that he's an asshole, I do hope he gets (and keeps) one win before he goes.

"...why would I have that information?" Dinesh has been on fire lately. Looks like the guys are on their way to Hooli Con, and it seems like Hoolie is about to be in serious trouble. I hope the guys can end on a high note. Yeah the guys can be assholes (except for living embodiment of sweetness Jared), but I've still been with them for awhile and would like to see them get ahead.

"That dude must have drove his van over a bunch of gypsies in a past life."

• Love 2