Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

I really don't understand Tyrion's motivation to help Cersei in any way. The meeting before they defeated the NK, so they defeated him. Why? someone please explain best they can. 

• Love 2
(edited)

We have also see a lot of redemption arcs on this show, people who have good from good to bad. I think it needs to be shown in reverse. How does one go from good to bad? How does war and the quest for power change you? What are the nearly universal corruptions that occur when searching for or obtaining absolute power?

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Well, I always love a good fandom meltdown, so here we go. Look like I'll need a solid three weeks' worth of popcorn for this. 

May want to stretch it to a good month, to be safe. 

• Love 1
Just now, sunflower said:

I really don't understand Tyrion's motivation to help Cersei in any way. The meeting before they defeated the NK, so they defeated him. Why? someone please explain best they can. 

Not to mention this would also have to happen in the book. So even if tv tyrion is that stupid, why would book Tyrion be like that?

I like the new theory better than Dany just straight dying and Jon going to the Wall. At least if he gives her the kiss of life there will have been some point to his resurrection.

• Love 6

Yeah, that has every ear mark of a fleak. 

I know more than anyone. You're getting played by HBO. All these spoilers that tell you what you hate are wrong. You're getting thar happy ending! Trust me!

• Love 6

From Freefolk 

can i just say varys annoys me. I really hope she gets to burn him alive. If she gonna go out at least let her people to take out some people that gets on her nerves.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GraceK said:

I just really hope Dany fucks some shit up first. 

As someone who is neutral on her, I say she be well within her rights. Just stay away from as many civilians as possible.

They're victims too; aw who the hell am I kidding, they're going to suffer because of both woman one way or another.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, that has every ear mark of a fleak. 

I know more than anyone. You're getting played by HBO. All these spoilers that tell you what you hate are wrong. You're getting thar happy ending! Trust me!

yeah, the ONLY part of that that had a sniff of truth was Cersei having some secret plan to entrap Dany.  I would assume she DOES, after all, all she's been doing is sitting around thinking and readying for war.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just saw some stills and a bit of dialogue.  Dany introduces Gendry as 'Gendry Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End.'    Gilly is preggers, she and Sam tell Jon if its a boy they're naming it Jon.  Gendry (looking up--he's either seated or kneeling) asks Arya 'Marry me.  Be the Lady of Storm's End.'  And she says 'That's not me.'  (Just like she said to her father so long ago).   Brienne cries as Jaime rides away.  Sansa tells Sandor about feeding Ramsay to his hounds.  He responds: 'You've changed, Little Bird.'

Just some bits and pieces to add to the mix. 

ETA:  Forgot to add--Tormund leaves to go back north--Jon asks him to take Ghost with him and he does.  Poor baby Ghost has lost an ear but at least he's still alive!

Edited by joliefaire
added info
  • Love 3

I understand hoping for the best, but If the ending was good D&D wouldn't be running for the hills and Emilia and Kit's comments would have been more positive.

• Love 4

Looking forward to the SanSan scene.

I’m not clear what’s going on in the Varys/Tyrion scene. Is Tyrion trying to get Varys to switch sides, or is Tyrion trying to convince Varys to back Dany against Jon?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Colorful Mess said:

I knew what I was getting into when I read these books back in the day. I knew it would be Jon vs. Dany, two heroes becoming antagonists to each other.

How so? There is pretty clear foreshadowing in the books that Dany and Jon would come together (house of the undying), as indeed happened during S7. They even fought the Others together.

Sure, it was always possible that GRRM could go for "mad Dany" like Aerys: initially promising but he went mad. However, it doesn't look like Dany is going mad like that. She has always been capable of both great violence and great kindness, and has since S1/book 1.

And Dany as antagonist for the Starks, based on them being "usurpers dogs" was also possible, but the story didn't go that way either, as they united against common enemies and being independant isn't really a realistic option for the north with winter and the food situation. They should be able to come to an agreement, especially with the obvious option of a Jon/Dany marriage.

Sure, there is the "betrayal for love", too, but that could have been many things and doesn't have to be Jon stabbing her (in the back or otherwise) to death.

4 hours ago, raven said:

I'm annoyed that apparently Tyrion, who has been frankly terrible at everything after killing Tywin and Shae, survives.  

There have been so many leaks and fleaks recently that I have trouble keeping up, or to make a distinction between them. Don't some of those (f)leaks (other than Friki's) say or imply that Tyrion dies anyway? Which are saying that he'll live?

One thing that still bothers me is the YMBQ prophecy: in the show, it looks like this won't come to pass unless that even more fantastical (f)leak posted on Westeros turns out to be true after all. But then, that (f)leak would require a brain lobotomy for Tyrion.

I wonder if Friki will say anything about his confidence in Tyrion's trial being a real scene, after ep4.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, joliefaire said:

Gilly is preggers, she and Sam tell Jon if its a boy they're naming it Jon.  

So Gilly is the one who is pregnant. Blech. Even that is a bore. And Sam of all people reproducing is just pathetic. Now those are genes that should never be passed on to another generation.

Edited by SimoneS
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I understand hoping for the best, but If the ending was good D&D wouldn't be running for the hills and Emilia and Kit's comments would have been more positive.

I dont think there was any way to end this that would not be controversial and leave a large amount of viewers unhappy. With so many characters who straddled the line between good and bad, everyone has their own favorites. We all see the characters differently and  therefore want different things. So few characters are straight up evil like Cersei.

Most of The ones who were straight baddies up have already died. So you have a  bunch of people who want different endings for their favorites.  I cant conceive of any ending that would leave the majority happy.   Im also surprised that anyone expected to be happy with the ending..... Its Game of Thrones.

Last week people complained that not enough main characters died, not people are upset that main characters will die

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Wouter said:

Don't some of those (f)leaks (other than Friki's) say or imply that Tyrion dies anyway? Which are saying that he'll live?

MOST say Tyrion will live, gives a speech that causes people to elect Bran to oversee a council, Tyrion is on that council.

• Love 1
Just now, Umbelina said:

MOST say Tyrion will live, gives a speech that causes people to elect Bran to oversee a council, Tyrion is on that council.

He's either giving his speech at his trial or to a group of the parliament.

George rr said you betta not sneak any romance up in my story D and D lolz.

21 minutes ago, nikma said:

It makes complete sense for her to burn KL at this point. Her fans are just in denial. 

KL isn't Yunkai or Astapor, though. It's her own capital, housing many of the people she claims to want to rule, a city founded by her own ancestors. And she knows that the vast majority of the inhabitants have no say  in what Cersei does.

It makes complete sense for Dany to burn the Red Keep, and the walls and watchtowers, and to attack any concentration of enemy troops she can find, even without regard to potential consequences for civilians (being used as human shields, fire spreading,...). It also makes sense to go for mass executions once she can get her hand on Cersei's supporters. But does it make sense to attack with the deliberate aim to burn the entire city? I don't think so.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, nikma said:

And now she will. Because there will be no one to stop her this time. 

Exactly. Dany has a short fuse, she was talked out of raining hellfire by cooler, more mature heads. If they're all gone she can fall to her worst instincts. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I could see a freak out over tyrion being a traitor and Danny getting rezzed. I guess we will see.

• Love 4

So Brienne gives it up, then Jaime rides away. Nice! Not that anyone was expecting Jaime to stay and cuddle, I guess.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with Marla the Virgin.

7 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

So Gilly is the one who is pregnant. Blech. Even that is a bore. And Sam of all people reproducing is just pathetic. Now those are genes that should never be passed on to another generation.

I disagree. Sam is smart and uses his smarts. Gilly is sweet. They are more than deserving.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Wouter said:

KL isn't Yunkai or Astapor, though. It's her own capital, housing many of the people she claims to want to rule, a city founded by her own ancestors. And she knows that the vast majority of the inhabitants have no say  in what Cersei does.

It makes complete sense for Dany to burn the Red Keep, and the walls and watchtowers, and to attack any concentration of enemy troops she can find, even without regard to potential consequences for civilians (being used as human shields, fire spreading,...). It also makes sense to go for mass executions once she can get her hand on Cersei's supporters. But does it make sense to attack with the deliberate aim to burn the entire city? I don't think so.

But doesn't Cersei let the common people into the red keep? So she can't burn the red keep without burning civilians. So its either kill civilians or retreat and clearly she doesn't retreat. SO Cersei pretty much hides behind the commoners and looks like to good guy trying to protect them, while the "mad queen" wants to kill them. Very manipulative on her part.

• Love 2

Hey, if HBO gave the greenlight for a bunch of phony spoilers to be shot, including expensive CGI, I promise to never refer to them again, in deference to my patron saint, Ian McShane's Al Sweringen, as "those thievin' c*ocksuckers!".

9 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

Now we know that missandei gets caught, but how? Does she fall overboard or something?

Euron knocks her off the boat with his, well.........

5 minutes ago, aprilbabe said:

But doesn't Cersei let the common people into the red keep? So she can't burn the red keep without burning civilians. So its either kill civilians or retreat and clearly she doesn't retreat. SO Cersei pretty much hides behind the commoners and looks like to good guy trying to protect them, while the "mad queen" wants to kill them. Very manipulative on her part.

Cersei using civilians as human shields would be her crime. Jon shouldn't be disgusted enough at Dany for that, to kill her, even if he would not have pulled the trigger in the same situation.

• Love 5
(edited)

Well, Jon sucks as a boyfriend. That’s proven for sure now. Dany went north and got Starked ( as in, became too honorable and now is fucked) and will  die for it. The best person to end up on the throne ignored her instincts, fought fair, helped save the world and in return lost her friends, Two dragons, armies , boyfriend and support and will get stabbed. 

She speaks different languages, had a multi cultural council, was willing to listen to advisors, didn’t judge based in bloodline, accepted Eunuchs, dwarves, women and former criminals in her circle, and was willing to grant independence in exchange for support . She freed slaves and wanted to stop raping and pillaging, and she was strong enough to actual make reform possible and ruthless enough to fight off enemies and make this change happen. But she didn’t get the chance....why? Cause her fathers reputation made her advisors shackle her instincts, her good heart and love for Jon snow obliterated her armies, her trust in Tyrion lost her allies, and her desire to spare innocent lives and try to negotiate with a terrorist got an innocent Missandei killed. The true tragedy is that the Best ruler of Westeros will never get a chance to rule because everyone around her she trusted made it impossible, and now when she finally has lost everything and tries to take out the evil queen with her most powerful weapon left, she will be declared unfit and put down like a dog. It’s a fucking tragedy .

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Wouter said:

Cersei using civilians as human shields would be her crime. Jon shouldn't be disgusted enough at Dany for that, to kill her, even if he would not have pulled the trigger in the same situation.

That's why the spoiler of Arya being in the Red Keep and that hint about Jon SEEING Arya is quite interesting.

Cersei was on her list, was possibly the FIRST person on her list (can't remember) and she may well head off to kill Cersei.

Jon would not let innocents burn, let alone Arya.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

That's why the spoiler of Arya being in the Red Keep and that hint about Jon SEEING Arya is quite interesting.

Cersei was on her list, was possibly the FIRST person on her list (can't remember) and she may well head off to kill Cersei.

But Dany might, because, well Cersei started it. The throne > innocent people

Edited by JennyMominFL
(edited)
5 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

The Starks' saying, "she is not one of us" is also pathetic. 

That's just terrible. And they can seriously fuck off.

What is wrong with them? They are forcing him to choose between them and her. There's really no other way to view this.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

He made a live video about an hour ago and still stands by it.

That's interesting, and the one thing that makes the (f)leak on Westeros look halfway believable, fake as it may be.

The supposed detail in other (f)leaks of Drogon taking Dany's body away on the one hand (why add this detail if nothing happens to the body afterwards?), and Friki's continued belief in the trial on the other hand, do square with this version and it would also mean Dany may get to be queen after all.  Since Beric resurrected Catelyn in the books, Jon resurrecting Dany would not be impossible and it would explain why Martin had him killed in the first place - Jon would then be the most tragic figure, I suppose.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

That's just terrible. And they can seriously fuck off.

What is wrong with them? They are forcing him to choose between them and her. There's really no other way to view this.

They have come full circle and have become first season Lannister’s . Truly. They are villains now . I have to say, this sucks and everything but the way this all is framed, Dany looks like a fucking Martyr. Really. My girl is rapidly becoming even more of an icon. They might as well just Saint her now and give her a Halo.

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Jon would not let Arya burn. He did, however, collect hostages from the wildlings with the apparent intent to kill them if the other wildlings didn't keep their word.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GraceK said:

They have come full circle and have become first season Lannister’s . Truly. They are villains now . I have to say, this sucks and everything but the way this all is framed, Dany looks like a fucking Martyr. Really. My girl is rapidly becoming even more of an icon. They might as well just Saint her now and give her a Halo.

They're those in-laws who make the life of their child's significant other miserable because reasons.

• LOL 5
1 minute ago, nikma said:

This is just like Joker vs Batman in TDK, the "only" difference is that Cersei successfully breaks Daenerys.

This whole season broke Daenerys it looks like so far. 🤦🏻‍♀️

13 minutes ago, GraceK said:

Does that mean Jonsa is a thing now?

• LOL 3

Starks being the Lannisters of the last season is also interesting ending. We wanted them to be powerful House, but now that they are they are just as corrupted as anyone else.

This feels like GRRM to me.

Not sure if I believe the latest spoilers that Jon reserects Dany, especially with the kiss of life.  It seems a little too disney with the trope of true loves kiss (even if the result is Jon dies).  Not sure grrm would go this way. 

2 hours ago, Bannon said:

As far as I can tell,  he can send flocks of birds anywhere, and see whatever a bird sees. Meaning locating a large army and fleet of ships is pretty simple.

Long flights though. I guess ravens in every tower. 

I will certainly see on the net and social media how this is going to turn out.

However, I signed up for "bittersweet", not for "let's destroy everything and make everyone miserable for the sake of it, without rhyme or reason". 8x03 was a rather nice series finale, all things considered. And so my watch has ended.

• Love 6