Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think Les Twins are good dancers but they shouldn't have won with that second routine.  It looked really messy to me.  The mirrors made it worse since there were too many images to look at.  They are usually not synchronized but I think they were even more off.

• Love 1

I won't be back for any more seasons.  The fixed outcome is not why.  Hell, all these so-called reality competition shows are pre-determined anyway.  All the reasons have been articulated by others.  Deuces show.  I'm out.

• Love 3

We were so happy to see Les Twins won the competition.  We hated both of Eva Igo's routines.  That version of In the Air was horrible, and the choreography just looked like she was throwing herself around the stage.  The second routine wasn't much better - all angsty, flaily, pose-y stuff.  She just does absolutely nothing for us.  So far we have only liked Swing Latino in one routines - the one they did sans all the headache-inducing sparkles.  The two routines tonight were just okay.  They're very energetic, but it's to the point of being frenetic with too much going on.  We just find them very hard to watch.  We love to watch Les Twins and have enjoyed all of their routines.  They were clearly the best of that final three.

That said, we don't really agree with the final 3.  We lost some much better dancers along the way.  I am at a loss to figure out how we ended up with the grouping we did.  If there is another season, I'm thinking I might watch the preliminary rounds just to see some really spectacular dancing, but then bow out after that.  Clearly the judges and I do not have the same taste in dance, and it was very frustrating to watch them weed out dancers we thought were so much better or more interesting than the final 3.

• Love 2

The dancing should be what I remembered but instead it was the judging.

First, they judged the first act instead of showing the scores after both had danced.  That made it clear what the judges had to score to get the dancers they wanted to move on.

And to prove the judging fakery, we have the injured dance team Les Twins, winning their division.  Sorry Jennifer, bad luck, for them, but what an insult to K and M that an injured team beats you with scores of almost perfection.  Sure.  Everyone should get injured then.

Think of a different name for this show, like, Jennifer's favs.  But this is not a real dance contest.  It is a judges manipulation.  

Who'd want to watch it next season knowing the fakery of how the judges judge this season???

• Love 6

Keone and Mari posted this video and message:

Now that World of Dance is finished, we wanted to take an opportunity to give our genuine love and appreciation for all of your support through the journey of our relationship. Whether you've followed us since we met in 2008, or just recently, we are infinitely grateful.

• Love 2
On 8/9/2017 at 4:10 PM, Diana Berry said:

Well let's see...Oh! Les Twins won by one fraction of one hundredth of one point. Huh. Then they proceeded to screw the pooch by bragging that they 'had it from the beginning' AKA they were freaking PROMISED THE WIN in order to get them to compete but Jenna did her Jenna job and cut them the eff off before they could say anything more incriminating.

I listened to the ending again, and what they actually said was, "This competition was hard from the beginning," not that they had it from the beginning. I put close captioning on and they agreed.

On rewatch I thought the final moments were not so anticlimactic. I must have been colored by my disappointment of Eva not winning the first watch.

I was curious about the injury. Evidently "Laurent injured his Achilles" (tendon?) the previous week. I thought maybe they were filmed more than a week apart, but maybe not. Pretty good recovery, or dancing through the pain.

• Love 3

Swing Latino is comprised of J Lo's backup dancers. Their combos were always messy and bad/unimaginative choreo.  The larger group that the judges deemed too "broadway" was so much better.

The Kinjaz (with Keone and Mari) have posted a video answering questions about their participation on the show.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2017 at 9:58 AM, saber5055 said:

I doubt I'll even bother watching online

K&M's dance is worth watching. Very "fred and Ginger", as Derek called it, with a touch of modern dance.  Kinjaz was good, if understated.  I'd watch both in the links @ElectricBoogaloo provided. 

On 8/2/2017 at 1:14 PM, Diana Berry said:

I'll be even more shocked if hyper extended leg girl wins.

I think Diana was far more "hyper extended leg girl" than Eva -- that's all she did; Eva can dance.  That was the one choice the judges got right!  (Although Eva should have been competing against The Lab, not Diana.)

• Love 4

Kinjaz + Keone & Mari discuss being on WoD:

Thanks so much for that @ElectricBoogaloo.  Very interesting.

- loved the guy petting his sleeping dog the whole time

- loved learning more about the commUNITY

- loved learning how important NappyTabs is to so many dancers as general support 

Glad I spent the 20 minutes (including this response).

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 1
On 8/10/2017 at 3:08 AM, Darknight said:

Eva is a good dancer but she should stop with the leg spins. She falls out of them. Larkin Dance is proud of her. They're an an amazing dance studio. I hate how JLO and Neyo are on here. They're not dancers. 

It is not just Eva. It is pretty standard for contemporary dancers to do the falling out of their turns. If you watch the auditions on SYTYCD almost all the contemporary dancers do it.

• Love 3
On 2017-08-15 at 8:19 AM, Beezella said:

I was curious about the injury. Evidently "Laurent injured his Achilles" (tendon?) the previous week. I thought maybe they were filmed more than a week apart, but maybe not. Pretty good recovery, or dancing through the pain.

I put off watching this show and only watched the final and the semi final shows today. Regarding Laurent's injury: The show covered it clearly. Jenna told us that Laurent's injury happened 2 days before the semi-final show. The doctor said what the injury was (didn't have closed caption and didn't hear it clearly). I did hear the doctor tell Laurent to stay off it for at least two days. I assumed that meant it would heal properly if he did that. So he wasn't going to be able to dance on it for the semi-final show. He did take a risk during their performance with getting out of the wheelchair and hopping quite a distance. I saw him have to put some weight on that foot for balance in that move. Glad he didn't re-injure himself.

Having said that, I won't bother watching this show again. Too much hype, too little respect for the dancers. What was with having an elimination round and not showing everyone's dance?! Some only got "clips". That really disgusted me.

I also didn't like Ne-yo telling dance crews who were stretching their style to stick with their Brand, with what is expected.  Dance is creativity. That's what made them good to start with. They would be washed up if they just stuck with what made them famous in the first place. It's like saying "you've got to grow... but you've got to stay the same."

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Anothermi said:

Having said that, I won't bother watching this show again. Too much hype, too little respect for the dancers. What was with having an elimination round and not showing everyone's dance?! Some only got "clips". That really disgusted me.

I also didn't like Ne-yo telling dance crews who were stretching their style to stick with their Brand, with what is expected.  Dance is creativity. That's what made them good to start with. They would be washed up if they just stuck with what made them famous in the first place. It's like saying "you've got to grow... but you've got to stay the same."

ITA on both counts. First of all, I feel bad that WoD released a list of all the dancers who were competing on the show and then we ended up seeing maybe half of them in the first round. Then in later rounds, some of the groups just got a short clip of their routine because we had to waste time with the judges talking about locking in their scores and other assorted crap.

I really disagree with Ne-Yo telling any of these groups that they need to stay in their lane. Art is all about growth and it's absolutely ridiculous to tell some of these groups which have been dancing together for a decade that they need to keep doing the exact same thing they did ten years ago. If you just want to see the same thing, go watch their old videos. Of course they should be striving to improve and evolve!

• Love 3

I guess I'll watch again, but I'm probably going to FF through anything that has to do with the judges. They are just a waste of time.

• Love 7
(edited)

You guys, I was already rolling my eyes at the introduction and then the JLo reveal pushed it over the top.

Previewing some of the judges' comments during the intro did not do the show any favors. JLo wasn't lying when she said that LeBron James couldn't do what the dancers do (and I do think dance gets short shrift when it comes to the amount of strength and skill it takes), but comments like that still annoy me. To me, that's like telling a concert pianist, "Yo Yo Ma couldn't do what you do!" Well, no shit, because that's not what Yo Yo Ma does. It's apples and oranges. There's no reason to make that kind of comparison.

I'm glad there's a separate junior group division. Last season, it seemed weird to have little kids competing against adults.

Thank goodness we got closeups of all three judges sliding their fingers across the scorepads or I wouldn't understand how this works at all.

Really, show? You thought that the Desi Hoppers required subtitles during their intro package but not while they were onstage? For yhe record, I don’t think the subtitles were necessary at all. 

I feel like Jenna's role as host is kind of undefined and mostly pointless but I'd be down with each group teaching her a move or short bit of choreography because that was fun. Hee, and I had to laugh when the guys said that they're the One Direection of India. Hilarious that the producers used a 1D song at the end of their segment. I agree that their music choice at the end was smart.

Sean and Kaycee were fine but JLo getting so overemotional was baffling to me. I get the message of their blindfolds and I like the concept, but it didn't make me cry (and I cry at tv weddings and all kinds of stupid things). That's not a knock on the choreography or the execution either. I just think Jennifer was being a drama queen (although, to be fair, you can't help it when you get emotional - I was just surprised by her reaction). On a shallow note, I liked that Sean and Kaycee went low key with their costumes. I was annoyed when Ne-Yo acted shocked that they could stay in sync while blindfolded. You learn the choreography and you rehearse it together. You shouldn't need to see everyone else in your group in order to be in sync. Again, this is not a knock on Sean and Kaycee. I just hate when dancers make ignorant comments.

S-Rank is exactly what I expect to see on this show - good choreography with precision.

Similarly, Jaxon was exactly what I expect from a contemporary routine. I thought he was good but getting everyone to cry? Has my cold dead heart become even colder and deader? My main critique is that he needs to really focus on pointing his toes because several times during his routine, my eyes were drawn to his feet just limply hanging in the air, neither pointed nor flexed.

Flip was good but it made me wish that the cut off age for the junior group was lower. On a shallow note, I am not a fan of adding hip hop beats to songs like Feeling Good.

It was so adorable to see the other dancers in awe of meeting Hilty & Bosch. Even if the audience at home doesn't realize how major these guys are, it's always awesome to see fellow dancers give respect to a group like H&B. And extra props to them being at the top of their game in their mid 30s because dance is really not kind to older dancers. I knew that the judges wouldn't fully appreciate what they were seeing. Just shaking my head at their ignorance.

Karen Y Ricardo had a great backstory. So many people start dancing as kids and change partners multiple times so I always find it sweet when you see a dance couple like them. I knew the judges would like them. They live for flashy tricks and sparkly costumes. Again, not a knock on the dancers themselves because their tricks were impressive. It's just that the judges are so fucking predictable.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Because Jenna is a host, not a ho!
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

JLo wasn't lying when she said that LeBron James couldn't do what the dancers do (and I do think dance gets short shrift when it comes to the amount of strength and skill it takes), but comments like that still annoy me. To me, that's like telling a concert pianist, "Yo Yo Ma couldn't do what you do!" Well, no shit, because that's not what Yo Yo Ma does. It's apples and oranges. There's no reason to make that kind of comparison.

So much this. I'm guessing JLo can't shoot baskets like LeBron either.

All these reality competition shows are judge centered, the real focus is on the judges and the (most of the time) stupid things they say. Rarely do they give any insight or helpful comments. As has been said, thank goodness for FF.

I hated Karen and Ricardo. I don't know anything about them but they looked like every other salsa duo I've ever seen on these shows. Maybe it was on AGT last year, there was a salsa team who did spins and spins and spins. These guys reminded me of them. Too frantic and "harsh" for my taste. They would have gone home if I were judging. Which is why I'm not judging. (Well, that and a dozen other reasons.) Meanwhile, I would have sent Hilty & Bosch easily straight through. I'd watch them all day while Karen and Ricardo, no. Seen that, don't want to see it again.

I loved the Desi Hoppers, Jaxon, Sean and Kaycee, and S-Rank. Looking forward to seeing them again.

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Thank goodness we got closeups of all three judges sliding their fingers across the scorepads or I wouldn't understand how this works at all.

I just hate this time waster. So stupid. Just give the scores, show.

Anyway, glad this show is back. It's a good brain escape, a diversion I welcome about now.

• Love 4

So the WoD starts off with a very global (with India, Japan, and Colombia represented), yet not a very diverse episode. We had a salsa pair, a solo contemporary, and every other shown audition was straight hip hop or a hip hop fusion. Yay?

I guess out of everyone, I maybe liked the Desi Hoppers the best. To fluidly (for the most part) meld, hip hop and Bollywood was a pretty great effort to start the show off.

The Salsa had eye popping speed, and difficulty....but can you shift between gears a little? give us some more contrast? They need to work on that for sure. S-Rank was good too, but I really struggle as a viewer with dance crews that have more than like 8-10 members. My eyes can't figure out where to focus a lot of the time and it takes me out of parts of their routine.

• Love 6

So. Much. Filler. I got through the whole thing in 20 minutes without fast-forwarding any actual performances. I guess this is a good show to watch when I’m getting ready for work or only have about half an hour til bedtime. 

I agree w you, @saber5055, about Karen and Ricardo. Sure, those tricks take a lot of skill but I want to see some dancing in my dancing. I would have thought at the very least that Derek would be hearing an echo of Len Goodman telling them to quit faffing about with the spinning and lifting.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

So. Much. Filler. I got through the whole thing in 20 minutes without fast-forwarding any actual performances.

I agree. We only saw seven auditions in an hourlong episode. I want less footage of the front row audience members being forced to pound their hands on the stage and I definitely don’t need to see thr judges sliding their fingers around on ipads after EVERY audition. Cutting just those two things should give the show enough time to let us see at least one more audition. 

Hopefully the show learned its lesson from last year (when I got really annoyed about them showing us only snippets of some of the auditions). I want to see everyone’s routine from beginning to end. Everything else is extraneous so feel free to cut anything else, show. 

• Love 4

Another one here who makes great use of the FF button.  I liked pretty much everyone, but especially Desi Hoppers and the salsa couple.  But the salsa couple got two 100 scores..hard to grow from that.   I cannot stand the judges and the relentless filler of this show.

• Love 2

and I definitely don’t need to see the judges sliding their fingers around on ipads after EVERY audition

At least they filmed a new button sliding session for this year, because last year JLo's manicure was black!

I thought the Bollywood guys, who I thought I would love, needed to be more intricate.  Also, everyone's piece was waaay to short.  I mean, if you polled the US on this show and AI, who really gives 2 craps what the judges say, especially when everyone gets like a 95.

• Love 2

Have the same complaints that I did last year which was mentioned by others too.  It's too flashy and takes too long for judges' intros especially JLo's which just made me roll my eyes.   I agree about showing that dumb clips of showing the judges sliding their fingers through the score app after every dance.  At first, I didn't like the Desi Hoppers until the music ramped up.  I liked the salsa couple but they had a rough transition after the split move.  They were 100x better than Swing Latino last year or whatever that group was called.  Don't remember if I liked anybody else.  Can;'t wait for SYTYCD next week since I prefer it.

• Love 2

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions everyone.  I was pretty much done with this show last year and your posts have convinced me that I'm not prepared to jump through the hoops necessary for me to keep up with this show.  It's not enough of a "dance" show for me.  

I will continue to read your thoughts though, so something might goad me to actually watch.  Who knows. For now... I can live without the frustration.

Way too much emphasis on JLo, intros, and judge chat.  JLo has to repeat the same thing over and over to every act about the scoring has to be above 80, then the judges get carried away thinking almost every act is just amazing.  We don't need to see the scoring machine time and time again, once a show would be enough.  There isn't enough time for a full act, some of them were really short.  Are they editing some of the performances out to give JLo & Co. more screen time?

• Love 2

Judging by the amount of comments, this show isn't doing so well.

IMO, if Flip made it, then Hilty&Bosch should have made it. I didn't see what was so good about Flip.

I was beginning to think that everybody was going to make it through, though. There needs to be more variety of made it/didn't make it in the first rounds for me.