Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20: Underneath

• Start Topic

(edited)

Wow, couldn't find the thread at first.

This was a great episode or at least 41 minutes of one.

I don't know what caused the bottle episode, maybe the CGI budget caught up to them but, i love character driver stories and this was perfect.

The episode had the right mix of drama, humor, action and life/death intensity. Yeah they beat us over the head with the whole trust thing but it worked.

I loved the Dyla/Olicity parallels.  I loved how they used the flashbacks to inform the present and used Dyla to build on that.  

I will always love OTA so seeing the 3 of them in the elevator shaft willing to die for each other and trusting each other. Beautiful. 

This was a great episode or at least 41 minutes of one.

I don't know what caused the bottle episode, maybe the CGI budget caught up to them but, i love character driven stories and this was perfect.

The episode had the right mix of drama, humor, action and life/death intensity. Yeah they beat us over the head with the whole trust thing but it worked.

I loved the Dyla/Olicity parallels. I loved how they used the flashbacks to inform the present and used Dyla to build on that.

I will always love OTA so seeing the 3 of them in the elevator shaft willing to die for each other and trusting each other. Beautiful.

Now to the things I didn't like.

The William stuff was telegraphed a mile away and that kid is still way too trusting of strangers. Idiot!
I wasn't thrilled with the one sided Felicity apology at the end but, what can you do? I wish there was note of a give and take in that discussion.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 20
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

Are they definitely on the path back together???

No more dating other people???

Oliver has to figure out what kind of person he is first but I'd say we're headed there.  

• Love 12

Well, I loved everything until the end when she apologized. I knew they'd have Felicity take the blame. Really not happy about that. Everything else was amazing though and that sex scene? Um. Hello. That surpassed 320 easily. So hot!

• Love 16
(edited)
4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Oliver has to figure out what kind of person he is first but I'd say we're headed there.  

Ok I know about the crappy apology but did they have any heart eyes at the end in present day, hand holding, hug?????

Did  he promise not to lie again???

Edited by Mellowyellow

Hello, LifeAlert? I need help. I've fallen and I can't get up.

"I told you so!" Hahahahaha... This episode has added 15 years to my life! Maybe, later, I'll be thinking much clearer and more objectively tallk about it all but I kinda love everything right now. We even had such beautiful OTA and Diggle/Lyla moments!!

The Olicity flashbacks were lit af! "You know what he can't change? The way he looks at you." I AM FINE! Also, I stopped functioning after the sex, but okay! Also, post-coital cuddling!!!

And Oliver apologized to Felicity! They talked to each other, guys! They talked! And he's never, ever letting her go! I AM LIVING!!! Just gonna ignore parts of that last speech by Felicity because, whatever show, I see you still tryin' to justify the dumb BMD (I'm convinced that apology must've been a Guggie edit to this fantastic script, I swear) and the end part with li'l Willie 'cause I seriously DGAF about that kid.

tumblr_nv1djgYpdt1s7gnr1o1_r1_400.gif

*Dear Dodgers: I hate y'all for preventing me from re-watching this episode over and over again. And making me wait until Saturday for KTLA to finally air this episode so that I can record this on my DVR. Suck it, Dodgers!

• Love 24

I loved the entire episode. I think we needed a character-driven episode, and this delivered. Plus, the Diggles are going to be ok!

As much as I hated the apology, I also think that she needed to apologize for some of her wrongs when it came to Helix, so whatever. 

• Love 14

I have hope for Olicity. And until they're together, new awesome footage of OTA and Olicity.  And I like Curtis more for, as Oliver put it, wanting "EXACTLY this."

But, guys, c'mon. Teleporting metahuman who designed the place. None of the newbies, Diggle or Lyla thought to call Cisco? Lyla, I know you have Team Flash's number.

Sigh. Sometimes it's a pain to watch and enjoy all four shows.

• Love 10
Just now, calliope1975 said:

I’m thrilled to be happy watching my show again! It’s been so long. That’s my OTA AND my OTP. Gonna ignore that nonsense from Felicity at the end that doesn't jive with logic. Also, William is still an idiot and deserves to be taken out by the yearly villain. 

I’ll just sum it up with this gif cuz I’m slightly drunk:

tenor.gif

Yeah, I'm going to have to set that ending apology aside as a side effect of her being afraid with Oliver nearly dying and thus babbling nonsense.  I was fine with her apologizing for not sticking around to talk about their issues but between her suddenly mentioning Billy as why she got involved with Helix (um, that wasn't on screen) and that she now totally gets why Oliver had to lie about William (No, MG, he didn't.) yeah, you can't brainwash me into believing there are only three lights.  

• Love 20
(edited)

I'm completely fine with the last few minutes. I think it's really big of Felicity to let the past go for Oliver's mental health as well as for herself. And I think this was necessary because if Felicity didn't budge, they would never have reconciled imo. Oliver has done his apology last season and promised never to lie to her again. I think now it's just Felicity's place to just tear down her walls and let him in and trust him (and trust that he trusts her) again.

But other than that what an amazing episode. This was definitely a much needed character episode and I loved it. 

The OTA scenes were perfection. That little scene at the end with the OTA chain, it the perfect representation of how they simply work best when they're together, how they need one another. And when Felicity told Oliver to let her go, it just broke my heart for her. She loves him so much that she's willing to die for him. God I love Felicity Smoak so much. She's so selfless. 

The newbies surprisingly worked in this episode. They provided some levity that fit and didn't feel forced. 

I'm also extremely happy that Dyla are going to fix their issues. I can now breathe a sigh of relief. 

Back to Olicity... I really don't care that they didn't get back together in this episode. It was jam packed as is. I can't wait to see them grow back towards one another. I can definitely see them getting back together now in 522.

I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON!

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 24
(edited)

That moment during the flashback make out when Oliver paused and just looked at her.  I'm still dying over that moment.  

3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Which he will by the end of 523 (spec)

Oh yeah, I'd say so.  Cause if Oliver wasn't a bit of an emotional mess, I think Felicity would have asked for her ring back there and then.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 9
Just now, lemotomato said:

I think my brain short circuited when Oliver turned Felicity around to unbutton her shirt and I haven't recovered from that yet. Gonna have to watch that flashback the episode a couple more times to process. 

Dear gods.

that was almost....too intimate. But lordy, thank you

• Love 8
1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

I think my brain short circuited when Oliver turned Felicity around to unbutton her shirt and I haven't recovered from that yet. Gonna have to watch that flashback the episode a couple more times to process. 

I loved that moment. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I still don't get why she went on to date Mayo Bread but it feels even more that he was just an interim dude while she readied herself. Now I hope she went after Chase out of guilt than anything.

2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

My fave part! Seriously, Oliver flipped Felicity around to take her top off and I think part of me died. I thought it was gonna take a very different turn, LMAO.

THE CHEMISTRY. That whole scene was so hot. Their kiss was probably my favourite ever, too. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 22
3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Which he will by the end of 523 (spec)

Spoiler

One of MGs teases to JBuffy was that Oliver has to answer a question that relates to Felicity and his overall season journey. IMO it confirms a season end reunion.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

God, Willam is so dumb. So, so dumb

I'm in Europe and couldn't watch and the only gif that works on this godforsaken shitty internet is the one with Chase and William - kid, you already fell for this once! Chase should probably just do us all a favor and remove that idiot from the gene pool. 

• Love 17
(edited)

I thought that was a great episode. I really enjoyed it. That being said--any other Percy Jackson readers skeptically side-eyeing the scene where Oliver holds Felicity dangling over a void and she tells him to let her go? 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

THE CHEMISTRY. That whole scene was so hot. Their kiss was probably my favourite ever, too. 

YES! All those smiles and heart eyes during the kissing. So adorable and intimate. And Oliver flipping Felicity around was such an ace move. Also, I really loved that the flashback scene was so well-lit! So bright! As much as I loved 3x20, we didn't have to rely on the plethora of Pier One candles of Nanda Parbat. Hee. I really love the flashback this episode. Also, the salmon ladder... You the MVP.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I'm in Europe and couldn't watch and the only gif that works on this godforsaken shitty internet is the one with Chase and William 

Can you see this one? 

• Love 6
(edited)
2 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

YES! All those smiles and heart eyes during the kissing. So adorable and intimate. And Oliver flipping Felicity around was such an ace move. Also, I really loved that the flashback scene was so well-lit! So bright! As much as I loved 3x20, we didn't have to rely on the plethora of Pier One candles of Nanda Parbat. Hee. I really love the flashback this episode. Also, the salmon ladder... You the MVP.

Honestly, that sex scene surpasses 320 for me, which I love. Everything worked. They were flirty, funny, cute and very passionate and there was lots of love. I missed them together like this. I can't believe they slept on them this whole season. *Shakes fist*

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 21
(edited)

1 - I love that they still can't get the Felicity jumps up on Oliver quite right. Makes it better.

2 - Yeah, sure, that's the first time they had lair sex. Mmmm hmmm. 

ETA: 

3 - That turnaround has clearly happened before. I regret nothing!

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 19

I've been watching the clips I can until I can watch the full episode.

Oliver was describing how to do the salmon ladder the same way SA did at a panel and I just remembered KC being like you should totally teach me and Facebook and all and I just started laughing. 

• Love 21
(edited)
10 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:
25 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I'm in Europe and couldn't watch and the only gif that works on this godforsaken shitty internet is the one with Chase and William - kid, you already fell for this once! Chase should probably just do us all a favor and remove that idiot from the gene pool. 

Wait, are you telling me that Samantha, who is so paranoid she wouldn't let the kid's father tell his fiancée, and the kid has already been kidnapped once, has not taught this idiot stranger danger? He never learns his lessom either, he is Oliver's son! You know Samantha would have GPS chipped this kid the second she got him back from Darkh.

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 4

That was the first episode I've enjoyed start to (almost) finish in a looooong time. It was nice to finally get Felicity's POV. 

And then they ruined it at the end. Ruined it. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

Oliver was describing how to do the salmon ladder the same way SA did at a panel and I just remembered KC being like you should totally teach me and Facebook and all and I just started laughing. 

Not sure if he taught her - but guessing he may have given her a few hints: 

I'm going to need a video of this (and the behind the scenes/outtakes of the salmon ladder scene in this episode too)

• Love 14
(edited)
23 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I think my brain short circuited when Oliver turned Felicity around to unbutton her shirt and I haven't recovered from that yet. Gonna have to watch that flashback the episode a couple more times to process

The best. Also right after that when he stops kissing her for a minute just to take a breath and look at her? That was straight out of fanfic!

Felicity saying she understood the William lie at the end wasn't great but I expected it. I was more confused by her last flashback scene. How did she go from "not never" to dating Billy? At least the present scenes left them in a good place. I was sure that when she told him to find out who he really is he would call back to his S3 finale speech about wanting to find that person with her by his side. Ah well. It's clearly coming. All the redditors who were convinced this would be a "closure" ep must be freaking out right now. 

My only super slight criticism was that she was a teeny bit too shrill at the beginning of the ep. Her "I told you" scene seemed designed for haters. But she was proven right so you go, girl. 

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Nooooooooooooo 

"The media could not be played"

America, I miss you so much 

OMG, I feel so bad for you right now @apinknightmare. But have fun in Europe! The episode will be waiting for you when you get back. :)

a_560x0.gif

2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Thank you for reminding me about this moment. *cackles* This makes my petty self laugh so much.

• Love 4
(edited)
26 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Can you see this one? 

I'm feeling really good about my ship right now.  We get sizzling sexy times and he's not trying to kill her! Poor WestAllen.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 8

Happy, drunk Oliver, showing Felicity how to use the salmon leader in the flashback was so cute.

In the dangling scene, when Oliver said "I'm sorry," I thought for a minute he was going to let her go or at least that Felicity would fall, and I was trying to figure out how Felicity wouldn't be hurt and then he was all, "I know you hate it when I don't do what you say," and I had to laugh. 

• Love 14

I didn't get to watch the episode because I had stupid work stuff, and I am DYING! It sounds like everything I dreamed of and more, AND YET I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW TO WATCH! It hurts, yall.  

• Love 3

So, this was close to a "bottle" episode for this show.  Although, I guess it would be called a bunker episode! (So sorry...)

Anyway, a pretty good episode and extremely well acted by Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards.  And it really highlights why Oliver and Felicity are a popular couple, because the chemistry between the characters (and actors), really can't be topped.  I mean, even looking past the actual sex scene, just the scene with the salmon ladder was ten times hotter then a lot of shows that go full-on with their couples.  If anything, the show is lucky in a lot of ways, because they frankly have been saddled with a lot of silly and dumb writing in the past, but they somehow overcome it to the point, that I still wish those crazy kids can make it work (or, really, for Oliver to pull his head out of his ass.)

I did like that Oliver confessed that he had let Chase get to him with the whole "enjoys killing" thing, and Felicity was able to tell him that was untrue.  And he apologized for not backing her.  On the other hand, I was fine with Felicity apologizing for trusting Helix, but rolled my eyes over her saying she know understands why he kept William from her.  Sorry, that will always be stupid.  It was like he was afraid Samantha was a mind-reader, and would find out if she told his fiancee he had a child.  Silly Oliver.  But, frankly, I'd all for pretending all of that was a fevered dream, so whatever!  He apologized, she understands him more.  It's all good!

On the other hand, I'm glad Diggle flat-out admitted he was wrong, but he was being completely self-righteous, and seemed to have no real answer to Lyla's points that he and Team Arrow have crossed the lines almost as much as Argus.  I'm not saying they are the same; I certainly do think the Waller run Argus had different motivations; but he really should have more faith in his wife.  I hope they do move on from here, but Diggle better be thanking his lucky stars that Lyla is as awesome as she is.

Only takeaway I got from the geek squad is that Curtis ships Olicity and Rene doesn't know the difference between EMP and EDM.  The latter I might understand, but has he not seen any kind of movie in the past ten years?  Is he actually from the 1800s?

Chase is now going after William.  Which, apparently won't be too hard since he admitted his real name pretty damn easily.

Good episode.

• Love 15