Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network Star Alums

• Start Topic

I remember seeing Justin first on that show where two teams competed by opening a pop up "restaurant." It was him with wife #1, and he acted like a pretentious douche of epic proportions. When he was on FNS, I thought he acquitted himself a bit better, but I also now think that was just an act to get the win.

I don't even think that poor woman who appeared with him on Pop Up Restaurant was his wife (lucky her!) Yeah, he came off as an epic whiny bitch on that show. I think that it really says something about the contestants they pick for FNS that a truly odd duck like Justin could win on an audience vote.

They really messed up last year by not giving Nicole a show. I made this, and it's delicious. In fact, I've tried several of her recipes and they are all dynamite.

http://coleycooks.com/

She was my favourite from last year! I loved her blog that she had while the show was airing. It showed her personality way better than the show did. Also her POV seemed fresh and different. Thanks for reccing her new site. I'm really not a good cook, but this is actually the kind of food I enjoy eating and want to learn how to make, especially the healthier looking recipes :)

• Love 1

Lisa Garza was my favorite from her season.  I always thought she got a raw deal and have looked online for her over the years to see how she's doing.  She's had her ups and downs including a partner who allegedly stole money from their business.  She's still cooking away in style, though!  I also liked Nicole and would have watched her show if she got one.  Sometimes I don't get FN's logic on who they pick.

Regarding the finalists, since FN loves big, sloppy guys who yell at the camera, I think they'll find something for Jay.

As far as I can tell, Food Network just loves the one big sloppy guy who yells at the camera and has him on for an average of 6 hours per day, which is maybe why people think this way.

Here are some of the people Food Network puts on their web site for featured Chefs and Hosts:

Tyler Florence

Giada

Alton Brown

Rachael Ray

Ree Drummond

Ina Garten

Guy Fieri

Flay

Michael Symon

Alex Guarnaschelli

Sunny Anderson

Ted Allen

Curtis Stone

Trisha Yearwood

Anthony Anderson

Only one big loud guy in the bunch. All the rest of them (other than Anthony Anderson who might get a pass for being genuinely funny) are pretty fit. Not Eddie Jackson fit, but not even a little overweight.

Of the other guys we see frequently like on Chopped, Scott, Chris, Marc, Aarón, Geoffrey and Marcus, none of them really qualify as big sloppy guys.  Simon who judges cutthroat kitchen isn't big or sloppy. Former FNS winner Jeff isn't big or sloppy.

Other than the non-stop footage of Guy being big, sloppy and yelling at the camera, I'm not sure that it is fair to characterize Food Network as loving big sloppy guys.  The vast majority of the men on Food Network are neither big nor sloppy.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 4

I still think Eddie should be doing a tailgate show, if he's truly going to be traveling around. College and/or pro games have some of the best food being served in the parking lots. If FN doesn't figure this out, they are dumber than I thought.

I remember them doing a tailgating/tailgating competition special, once or twice (this was back a few years ago), hosted by Guy I'm pretty sure. He actually did what looks to have been a 5-episode special involving tailgating by NFL fans.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/food-network-specials/all-specials/tailgate-warriors-with-guy-fieri.html

It looks like Al Roker's also done a couple of tailgating specials, as well, but I didn't remember those.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/food-network-specials/all-specials/tricked-out-tailgating.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/food-network-specials/all-specials/al-rokers-tailgating-party.html

But I haven't seen anything remotely related to tailgating on the network since those aired.

Other than the non-stop footage of Guy being big, sloppy and yelling at the camera, I'm not sure that it is fair to characterize Food Network as loving big sloppy guys.  The vast majority of the men on Food Network are neither big nor sloppy.

I've posted about FN loving big sloppy guys myself, but with reference to contestants on Food Network Star.  There have been a few on this show in addition to Guy and Jay, such as Tom Pizzica, Michael Proietti, Rodney "Pah Stahl", and of course, Lenny.  I think it's one of the types they think appeals to their audience, because this is what they envision most of their audience looking like, so they think it can relate more to someone who looks like themselves, LOL.  But we already know FN pretty much hates and looks down on its audience.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

I think it's one of the types they think appeals to their audience, because this is what they envision most of their audience looking like, so they think it can relate more to someone who looks like themselves, LOL.  But we already know FN pretty much hates and looks down on its audience.

That's interesting. You might be right, but I've always assumed FN envisions most of their audience looking more along the lines of Rachael, Ina, Paula, Ree and/or Aunt Sandy. (Although I do think it has gotten a whole lot more male since Guy came along, and the concurrent ongoing shift from stand & stir towards travel and game shows.)

That's interesting. You might be right, but I've always assumed FN envisions most of their audience looking more along the lines of Rachael, Ina, Paula, Ree and/or Aunt Sandy. (Although I do think it has gotten a whole lot more male since Guy came along, and the concurrent ongoing shift from stand & stir towards travel and game shows.)

Clarification:  When I said "audience", I should have said "male audience".  You're right about the women.  I'm wondering which former FNS female contestants would be like the type of female audience they want to attract?  Certainly not Penny Davidi!  LOL

• Love 2

Clarification:  When I said "audience", I should have said "male audience".  You're right about the women.  I'm wondering which former FNS female contestants would be like the type of female audience they want to attract?  Certainly not Penny Davidi!  LOL

Heh. Yeah, that occurred to me right after I replied. I can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. :)

I think Damaris is pretty representative of FN's idea of "relateable to the (female) audience on a she's-like-me basis, to varying degrees." They probably thought the same of Melissa D'Arabian. The extent to which they were correct, of course, is a matter of opinion. Michelle and Emilia from this season probably had a check mark in that particular box as well. 

As for the male audience, while I don't *hate* Guy necessarily, I don't exactly relate to him either. And I certainly think they give "us bros" WAY more of him than any of us really need or want. And if I had to guess (and it's really just a guess) I would assume that most of FN's male audience probably skews more toward Alton, Mauro, Flay, Ted Allen -or- (because I consider this to be a whole different type) the Chiarello, Zakarian, Wine Country sort. I don't know, I just can't imagine that the frat boy set makes up a large portion of FN's audience. I think Guy's success stems from his (inexplicably?) broad appeal. Or in other words, I think it's mostly because people who you wouldn't think would like him, for some reason, just do.

On a personal note, Mauro would probably be the guy who appeals to this particular male viewer on a "he's like me" basis. He's probably the one who looks most like me, anyway. Wait... no, scratch that, I meant Eddie Jackson! Yeah, that's the ticket! I look just like that guy! Definitely Eddie. Or maybe Luca! Heh.

• Love 9

This is terrific. Instead of Jeff Mauro doing his regular recap blog he posted a welcome letter to Eddie. Every single thing he says and every piece of advice he gives Eddie is something all contestants should take note of (too bad some past winners didnt have this advice or maybe they would have been in a better place)

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/star-talk/2015/08/17/jeffs-star-report-episode-11/?soc=foodnetworkstarsocial_20150821_51085596&adbid=634821035196477440&adbpl=tw&adbpr=20710809

• Love 3

Thanks for linking that blog/letter howmanywords. I think that if there was a training manuel for reality stars, it would mirror Jeff's advice pretty closely. I like the emphasis on being kind to fans as many stars seem to forget how and why they became stars in the first place-the fans. Eddie seems to have a good head on his shouldars and he has already had experience with fans from his football days and probably from his participation on Masterchef. I hope that Eddie has a nice, long, and rewarding career.

• Love 2

Great blog post from Jeff Mauro -- thanks for sharing that, howmanywords. Terrific advice and wonderful writing style from Jeff (I'm a big, big fan of JM). I'm so happy that Eddie won and will watch and support him as he finds his footing. He has tremendous potential for a long, long career at FN if he handles all of this well over time. There will be a lot of pressure, but hopefully Eddie will get the guidance from the FN team that he will surely need during the learning curve.

• Love 1

Sorry I know it's kind of OT but just wanted to post that Food Fighters is fun to watch. There's not much technique or anything and sometimes I yell at my TV "wait back up how did they make that?" but it's still an entertaining show, at least to me.

I saw that too and I was like...woah, when did she become an expert? I agreed with her that they needed to have a Tagine on the menu but otherwise, eek.

Oh Penny's thought of herself as an "expert" for quite awhile (in her own mind, anyway).

She was on a Food Network Star-related episode of Chopped awhile back. After getting chopped for--among other things--putting too much saffron in her dish, she questioned in her exit "talking head" whether she or Amanda Freitag, the judge who had the unfortunate task of explaining why she got chopped, had more knowledge of Middle Eastern cooking (implying that she, Penny, did even with all of Amanda's major, probably more prestigious, professional credits, compared to Penny's. But I doubt Penny knows more than Amanda, despite Penny's claims that she's of Middle Eastern heritage... I mean, I'm half-Filipina & know basically nothing about Filipino food, except for some of the names of the dishes & some of the native condiments' names).

Speaking of Penny Davidi, she and Justin Warner were on an episode of "Guy's Grocery Games All Stars" the other night.   Melissa D'Arabian was a judge.  Including Guy, that makes 4 FNS alums with 3 of them winners on the same show at the same time.  That has to be a record.  Penny was on her best behavior, playing up her "mom" side.  Justin was typically douchey for him but in no way offensive.  Even Melissa, who can be a little insufferable as a judge was OK. 

I didn't see Penny in her FNS season, but in this GGG episode she reminded me of Michelle from this past season, always talking about her children, wanting them to be proud of her, doing it for them, etc.

Speaking of Penny Davidi, she and Justin Warner were on an episode of "Guy's Grocery Games All Stars" the other night.   Melissa D'Arabian was a judge.  Including Guy, that makes 4 FNS alums with 3 of them winners on the same show at the same time. 

Oh, for a time machine and a grenade :)

Not fair, really.  I don't wish Melissa any harm.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 1

Lenny is on Guy's Grocery Games right now and creeping me the hell out.

I found that episode on some video site and watched it - You're not kidding about the creep factor - I can't believe FN later put Lenny on FNS AND then let him WIN.  The judges on GGG and even Guy himself seemed to be a little weirded out by him.  Laughing all the way, of course, but still.

• Love 1

A few days ago, FN reran the episode of Rewrapped that Dom won.  I'd already seen it but before I knew who Dom was so I didn't pay particular attention to him at the time.  This time around I watched him to see how he related to the camera and saw no signs at all of his problem on FNS.  To be fair, most of the times he was featured were THs which he handled OK on FNS but there was also footage  of him talking while cooking and he seemed to be handing that just fine.

• Love 1

Dom posted a picture of him, Jay and Eddie in NYC a few days ago on his Facebook page.  This seems to be becoming a pattern with Dom getting together with one or both of them.  Wonder what that means.  All of them in NYC at the same time, hmmmmmmm.....

https://www.facebook.com/ChefDomTesoriero/photos/a.732471346884726.1073741828.731493350315859/763901493741711/?type=3

Edited by Snarklepuss

I just noticed another pic of Jay and Dom together that Dom posted on Oct. 2, captioned "Guess who I ran into today at Chelsea Market?"  Yeah, right, Chelsea Market is in the building where Food Network lives, so that's verrry interesting....

• Love 2