Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: The Politics of Friendship

• Start Topic

(edited)

I did not take pleasure in seeing her or others upset.  Nor would I have taken pleasure in seeing Trump supporters upset had he lost.  It's a jackass move and too many in this country are lacking empathy these days imho.

Again, I understand her feelings, but having sympathy for her?  Nope.  I didn't get any sympathy when things didn't go my way in 2008 & 2012, nor when I lost my health insurance due to Obamacare (still don't have any.)  I remember seeing people on the news saying for us to "get over it" with zero regard for our feelings.   I did.  I continued on with my life without feeling the need to protest or throw a fit.  I simply carried on with things and hoped for the best.  I hope that Carole has been able to do that.  It serves no purpose to have a tantrum/meltdown (or a Colbert as I now call it.)  Others in the news should take Carole's example of how to deal with disappointment maturely (I'll give her a pass on a day or 2 of sadness, although I didn't lay in bed for days when things didn't go my way.  That's a little overly dramatic, IMO).    Hopefully we won't hear anymore about it the rest of this season with these ladies.  

What the heck happened to her eyebrows?

The eyebrows start to thin at a certain age.  I'm a few years younger than Ramona, and much to my horror, I got up  and looked in the mirror one morning and realized mine had thinned quite a bit.  It helps to put on one's up-close glasses to face reality on these things.  A quick trip to the nearest Clinique counter for a brow brush & pencil was in order! 

Edited by ChitChat
add
  • Love 10

I was confused, as well, about the litmus test for admission to the party. I thought Ramona had been disinvited because she "doesn't care about Hillary," so why was it copacetic for the Republican lesbian to show up with a tee shirt that specifically took a shot at one of Hillary's campaign gaffes? 

Oh yes, it had deplorable on it.! Confusing Carole.

• Love 2

Oh yes, it had deplorable on it.! Confusing Carole

I wonder if she demanded from that particular friend all of her well-reasoned arguments for why she was voting for Trump.   Had Ramona worn that shirt she probably wouldn't have taken it as well.  Hypocrisy?  I think so!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, lunastartron said:

I wasn't quite as annoyed with Carole as I expected to be this episode. But her moping, crying, histrionics, and inability to get out of bed (as relayed by Bethenny on social media) in the aftermath of the election is rather a case of study of privilege and self-indulgence in and of itself.

...and we know Bethenny never exaggerates anything for effect!!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Trooper York said:

Hey I hear Carole is going door to door in Paris. 

She's loves her a candidate who married a woman who is thirty years older.

She thinks that's way cool.

"Woman"? I'm sure, like Carole, 64-year-old Madame Trogneux is just a "girl." And a Gen-X one at that. 

• Love 4

I'm not the biggest Carole fan but the real reason for the disinvite was not Ramona being a Trumpster. On WWHL Ramona said Bethenney was actually a cohost and didn't want Ro there. Which would explain the SG product placement and Beth's assistant helping with setup.

I have to wonder what happens to Carole when Beth leaves. She has become to buddy/buddy with her at the expense of interacting with the others.

I have friends who swore Obama was the damnation of the country and working from within to bring it down. I expect them to put up with those disgusted with Trump the way we put up with their conspiracy theories and turning a blind eye to any level of civility/decorum. So far I think Carole and Dorinda have been disappointed but not veered into the level of finger pointing angst Carole's twitter persona would imply. She and our President could both stand to back away from social media. 

• Love 9
On 5/4/2017 at 7:53 AM, ryebread said:

Edited to add:  I did appreciate that Carole did not gush over Ramona's grande exit from the dressing room in the red dress with, "You look GORGEOUS!!" double cheek kiss, as all good housewives do. 

Especially because thats exactly what Ramona thought Carole would do. I can't believe she hid so when she came out Carole would go "oh my god" when she saw her.  I'm so glad Carole didnt say a word. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, robroy said:

I'm not the biggest Carole fan but the real reason for the disinvite was not Ramona being a Trumpster. On WWHL Ramona said Bethenney was actually a cohost and didn't want Ro there. Which would explain the SG product placement and Beth's assistant helping with setup.

I have to wonder what happens to Carole when Beth leaves. She has become to buddy/buddy with her at the expense of interacting with the others.

That's what Ramona said. Carole told Ramona repeatedly that Bethenny wasn't the reason she was disinvited to the party, but Ramona's decided that it's all Bethenny's fault, so that's the story she's flogging to death. If I was having a party in anticipation of celebrating the election of the first woman president, and someone I'd invited started spouting off the kind of bullshit Ramona was spouting to Carole, I'd disinvite them in a heartbeat, too. 

2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I wonder if she demanded from that particular friend all of her well-reasoned arguments for why she was voting for Trump.   Had Ramona worn that shirt she probably wouldn't have taken it as well.  Hypocrisy?  I think so!

There was no hypocrisy here. Carole's problem with Ramona wasn't that Ramona appeared to be a Trump supporter -- as we saw, Carole has at least one friend who was a Trump supporter -- but that Ramona didn't appear to give a shit one way or the other; she didn't even bother to vote. I'd much rather engage with someone who's passionate in their opposition to my beliefs than with someone who simply doesn't give a damn one way or the other.

• Love 6
On 5/4/2017 at 2:29 PM, Natalie68 said:

If I recall from a previous poster eons ago he is quite wealthy himself via family.

The 'day after' Carole was sitting talking on the phone and I saw a tattoo on her arm under the short sleeve.  I think she covers them with makeup.  I have one on my back and I used makeup to cover it for a wedding and it looked like her back.

It looked like a fake campaign tattoo to me and then it looked like most of it had come off but you could still see remnants of it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Whoa.  Let's talk about the 'source' of the information that Carole's reactions consisted of 'moping, crying, histrionics, and inability to get out of bed'.  This was relayed by the The Great Exaggerator, Beth.  So, IMO, Carole's reaction to the election results were probably were half, maybe even one quarter of what Beth describes. 

Heck, there were millions of people who were upset with this election and continue to be upset with this election.  We're all going to be affected whether we are affluent or not.  It's not just about healthcare or taxes.  It's about women.  It's about the ideology of a President and a disregard for the Constitution and what that 'is'.  It was damn scary then and it's even more scary now.  Carole, IMO, had a lot to be upset about but I  have doubts it was to extent that the women who says she was raised by wolves, bled 'all' over NYC, was 'tortured' in her divorce and has gone through hell says it was. 

Sorry, if I got too political.  I get Carole being upset and had to go into this election to explain why.

I love how we're getting ironic SJW style posts about her not having a right to be upset about this election. I have a feeling had the opposite happened, had she been flip and saying she was above the election and why should she care about it, she'd be getting criticized on here for not caring, due to her being an affluent white women insulated blah blah blah.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 11
(edited)
On 5/3/2017 at 10:34 PM, AttackTurtle said:

Right or wrong she came off as a super elitist snob.  

Stop the fake news presses! I agree with Radziwill about something -- from her Housewives blog:

"If being an elitist is doing my civic duty as an informed citizen, understanding the difference between conspiracy theories and legitimate news (and a legitimate candidate vs a con), speaking out against racism, misogyny, lies and hate, and voting against a guy (nothing personal) who doesn’t seem to want the job, and in my opinion is far too unfit, unqualified and inexperienced to lead this country, then I am guilty as charged. Elitist. Lock Me Up!!"

http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-9/blogs/carole-radziwill/carole-radziwill-writes-an-open

I also like her kitch'en.

So that's two things. I'm going to hell in a bicycle handbasket.

I wish Ramona never got a boob job. She had a really nice figure before. I met her pre boobs and she was really tiny and slim and really stunning.

Her implants give her what I call t'asscrack (when your paid-for cleavage ends up looking like  a plumber's asscrack). Such an ugly trend. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, lunastartron said:

"Woman"? I'm sure, like Carole, 64-year-old Madame Trogneux is just a "girl." And a Gen-X one at that. 

Madame Trogneux, being Mrs Macron?

"If being an elitist is doing my civic duty as an informed citizen, understanding the difference between conspiracy theories and legitimate news......

Sigh.  She still doesn't get it.  Is it her civic duty to belittle those with an opposing view?  We all heard the words come out of her mouth: "most people don't understand politics," among others.    Her and Heather's response to how the state of Georgia voted was insulting too. 

I think what Carole fails to understand is that many people didn't vote based solely on "conspiracy theories."  For many of us, it was a lifetime of watching this woman in  politics and having that perspective with which to judge her.  It wasn't just current issues that dogged her.   It's wrong of Carole to assume why people didn't vote for Hillary.  Carole is the one who is defining the reasons why her candidate lost, and then proceeds to tell us why we're all dead wrong in our opinions, when she can't possibly know what went into every voter's thought process.  It's insulting and elitist. 

(and a legitimate candidate vs a con),

On the flip side, Carole.  That's why she lost.   A lot of people saw her as the con. 

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Sigh.  She still doesn't get it.  Is it her civic duty to belittle those with an opposing view?  We all heard the words come out of her mouth: "most people don't understand politics," among others.    Her and Heather's response to how the state of Georgia voted was insulting too. 

I think what Carole fails to understand is that many people didn't vote based solely on "conspiracy theories."  For many of us, it was a lifetime of watching this woman in  politics and having that perspective with which to judge her.  It wasn't just current issues that dogged her.   It's wrong of Carole to assume why people didn't vote for Hillary.  Carole is the one who is defining the reasons why her candidate lost, and then proceeds to tell us why we're all dead wrong in our opinions, when she can't possibly know what went into every voter's thought process.  It's insulting and elitist. 

On the flip side, Carole.  That's why she lost.   A lot of people saw her as the con. 

I don't get why the Georgia comment was seen by some as a big fat slight. She would have said the same thing about Texas, or Oklahoma, or Louisiana, because yea, those were states that folks knew would go Red and it wasn't a big shock. So yea, Georgia, no big deal. That wasn't one of the states folks were concerned about watching (although it was slightly more swingy than usual in the weeks leading up to election night).  They didn't really care about a Georgia update, but were on the edge of their seats for some others. 

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 8

I don't get why the Georgia comment was seen by some as a big fat slight.

I assumed they made a snide comment about every state that would "predictably" go red.  It was the way Heather said "figures."  After hearing some of Carole's previous comments about "uninformed voters," I  read into their little dig and interpreted it in a way that I saw as uppity.  That may not have been their intent, but that's how I saw it.  Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill with this one, but it was just another layer to Carole's "I'm not an elitist" rant that makes me see her that way.

• Love 1

I'm curious about Sonja's relationship with Harry.

Not the Sonja version as she insists that ring he gave her was an engagement ring. I don't remember him saying Sonja will you marry me when he gave it to her at that party and left.

When she said he consistently throws women in her face..I was like huh?

giphy.gif

Harry is an itch she can't scratch.

Might be crabs or bed bugs not Harry.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

For someone as intelligent as she claims to be, and with her successful career in journalism news broadcasts, how can she not understand the concept of being an elitist?  Being an elitist is not, "..doing my civic duty as an informed citizen, understanding the difference between conspiracy theories and legitimate news......"  It's the WAY she does it.  Her whole attitude, and how she belittles those who don't agree with her.  Girl needs a dictionary,... and a clue.

jmo

• Love 9

Not the Sonja version as she insists that ring he gave her was an engagement ring. I don't remember him saying Sonja will you marry me when he gave it to her at that party and left.

Yeah, that whole thing was confusing.   It's odd that he'd give her a ring.  IMO, a ring signifies something more important than just being sex buddies, but maybe it was for a job well done, or something along those lines and she misunderstood.  I don't know how one would misunderstand the difference between a friendship/whatever ring and an engagement ring though.  Baffling!  ;)

• Love 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

I'm curious about Sonja's relationship with Harry.

When she said he consistently throws women in her face..I was like huh?

giphy.gif

Harry is an itch she can't scratch.

Might be crabs or bed bugs not Harry.

I think she's allergic to her own bullchit. 

Edited by Martinigirl
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Yeah, that whole thing was confusing.   It's odd that he'd give her a ring.  IMO, a ring signifies something more important than just being sex buddies, but maybe it was for a job well done, or something along those lines and she misunderstood.  I don't know how one would misunderstand the difference between a friendship/whatever ring and an engagement ring though.  Baffling!  ;)

I don't think she misunderstood - this is Sonja's MO - it's her SPIN of events like having an International Life Style Brand with no products (unless invisible ones count)

• Love 5
9 hours ago, film noire said:

and voting against a guy (nothing personal) who doesn’t seem to want the job,

Huh?  What is she talking about?

It doesn't bother me in the least (unlike Carole) that people have differing opinions.  It's when they are so SURE of themselves, while only paying attention to one news source - CNN on the left, FOX on the right - that makes them so much less interesting to debate with.  Carole does this and has shown she's got very little tolerance for any other opinions - on the show and on her Twitter feed.  As a journalist, you'd think she'd be more curious. 

I do believe she knows more about politics than Ramona but she lost an opportunity to show viewers how to be tolerant.  Which runs contrary to what she said in her Bravo blog.  I do agree with her about not wanting Ramona at the party, though. 

• Love 5

My one comment about Carole's Election Party.

Carole's wore red gloves while using her phone.

I want to know what kind of phone that is, because every phone I have had I can not use the phone while having any type of fabric on my hands. I tried mittens (Carole pronunciation would be mi ins), gloves. In all fabrics wool, leather. I can't even swipe to type in my pass code. I had to buy fingerless gloves for the winter.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

Dorinda has been taking dancing lessons from Ramona - Black Swan Extraordinaire

rhony-season-8-tagline-dorinda.gif?itok=

Dancing lessons from Ramona lol

I wonder if she got her file on Sonja from her other friend Hillary?

• Love 5
On 5/3/2017 at 10:19 PM, Thumper said:

I got a kick out of the interaction between Carole and her mother.  They were cute.  Her mom reminded me a little of Bette Midler (maybe it was the voice or accent).

I did, too, and I'd also love to see SkinnyCow get her ass handed to her by Carole's mom. Carole takes so much crap off SkinnyCow, who is dismissive, condescending, and smug about everything Carole says and does, but Carole's mom takes ZERO crap about anything. On second thought, SkinnyCow would never try it. A bully's looking for an easy day.

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

I want to know what kind of phone that is, because every phone I have had I can not use the phone while having any type of fabric on my hands. I tried mittens (Carole pronunciation would be mi ins), gloves. In all fabrics wool, leather. I can't even swipe to type in my pass code. I had to buy fingerless gloves for the winter.

You need yourself some gloves with a tech fingertip! Mine are black leather, they are not perfect but they work pretty well! Check Amazon or Zappos. I think it's called touch technology.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, shoegal said:

You need yourself some gloves with a tech fingertip! Mine are black leather, they are not perfect but they work pretty well! Check Amazon or Zappos. I think it's called touch technology.

Oh My Gosh. Thank you for the info. I've never even heard of these. I'm the spaz out of the loop who takes her gloves on and off. Thank goodness we had a mild winter. I went so far as buying a pair of mittens where they fold over to reveal fingerless gloves - total disaster

Question do the fingers of the gloves have a different texture or made of a different material?

(edited)
35 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

Look online for 'cell phone gloves'.

So what happens when someone pisses you off and you need to flip them the bird in a 'fingerless glove'?

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

Oh My Gosh. Thank you for the info. I've never even heard of these. I'm the spaz out of the loop who takes her gloves on and off. Thank goodness we had a mild winter. I went so far as buying a pair of mittens where they fold over to reveal fingerless gloves - total disaster

Question do the fingers of the gloves have a different texture or made of a different material?

Yes, they do have a different material on the fingertips, mine have it on the tip of the index fingers only, but some have it on all fingertips.

I loved Carole's gloves, I love that she wears gloves as part of her style..it gives me Diane Keaton vibes. I dig it!

• Love 4
(edited)
10 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

Look online for 'cell phone gloves'.

So what happens when someone pisses you and you need to flip them the bird in a 'fingerless glove'.

Fingerless gloves no problem

Mittens - I guess I say Fuck You out loud and throw up my muppet hands?

Edited by KungFuBunny
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

IMO, a ring signifies something more important than just being sex buddies,

When we were seniors in high school, Tom gave Gwen a ring which looked like an engagement ring in our day.  She wasn't sure if the diamond was real.   We walked by a jewelry store every day after school, so I came up with a plan.  My fingers are much smaller so I went into the store and asked how much it would cost to have the ring resized (I figured I'd ask if it was real).  The jeweler said it wasn't "worth five dollars," and not to spend any money on it.  Did Sonja ever have the ring appraised?  

• Love 4
On 5/5/2017 at 10:31 AM, KungFuBunny said:

Ramona's 60th Birthday cake

C-9MRmSXcAAkrWH.jpg

The cake and other desserts shown were really done well. The food looked delicious.

This was done by Dorinda - she made it nice and didn't have to say

giphy.gif

I'm picturing a very different feel if Luanne planned this party. You know the cake would have had 60 ginormous votives stuck into it - with the kind of wick that re-lights itself after Ramona blew on them.

I laughed when they brought out the desserts and Sonja was looking at them and she said, what are those...I wish I brought a bigger bag.  Lol!  That is so Sonja.

• Love 5

Re: Moaner screeching and barking on the rooftop like a crazed ape

Moaner is far too dumb (and at that moment, too drunk) to try to treat Sonja like she's too stupid to understand the concept of her ignorant, incomprehensible argument. When Sonja tried to get the ig'nant old boozehound to understand that Bethenny's child was only five, she drunkenly squawked, "She's six!" ...as if that means she's old enough to hear/be told about her mom's soft-porn movie. I realize that this ghastly hag had some kind of business at one time, but she seems too simple-minded and obtuse to pass the 3rd grade. Maybe it's alcohol-related dementia. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, StevieRocks said:

Re: Moaner screeching and barking on the rooftop like a crazed ape

Moaner is far too dumb (and at that moment, too drunk) to try to treat Sonja like she's too stupid to understand the concept of her ignorant, incomprehensible argument. When Sonja tried to get the ig'nant old boozehound to understand that Bethenny's child was only five, she drunkenly squawked, "She's six!" ...as if that means she's old enough to hear/be told about her mom's soft-porn movie. I realize that this ghastly hag had some kind of business at one time, but she seems too simple-minded and obtuse to pass the 3rd grade. Maybe it's alcohol-related dementia. 

They are savvy at six.  lol

• Love 8
1 hour ago, KungFuBunny said:

I tried mittens (Carole pronunciation would be mi ins), gloves.

I completely understood that Carole didn't know what all the gadgets were in the rental car.  Sometimes it takes a minute. 

But when a 50 year old woman says, as she's taking long glances at the controls while driving on the freeway says, "What is this?" Long glance. "What if I press that buh-in?" Long glance. 

Mom: "Don't press it." 

Carole:  "Pressed it." heeheeheehee

She tries way too hard to be cute as a buh-in.  They must have cut out the part where she had her non-driving foot perched on the dashboard while driving, playing with all the buh-ins and jamming to Aerosmith. 

• Love 15
(edited)

It doesn't bother me in the least (unlike Carole) that people have differing opinions. 

I can't stand the woman, but I have to acknowledge she had a friend with very different political views wearing a Deplorables t-shirt at her election night party, which shows humor on Radziwill's part, and graciousness. Neither quality is part of being a true elitist, imo. 

It's when they are so SURE of themselves, while only paying attention to one news source - CNN on the left, FOX on the right - that makes them so much less interesting to debate with.  

She addresses her news sources in her blog: "I watch real news and Fox news both. I read Politico, The Washington Post and the WSJ. C-Span plays on the television in my living room all day. Little excites me more than public hearings on tax reforms. If I were a musician, no one would argue with me about tonal and atonal progressions. They wouldn't haughtily claim superior fingerings on arpeggios, dismiss my musical background and walk away."

Again, I've ragged mercilessly on the woman, but I have to give that truth to her; if she were aligned with any other area of expertise, especially one that coded more 'feminine' than politics (if she'd had a career writing food columns for the NY Times, or writing cultural grants for non profits serving children,  or had a blog about mothering six kids, say) nobody would question her saying, "I know more about the ins and outs of this particular subject than the so called average person,  based on my fifteen year career, my former colleagues and contacts in the industry, and the widespread reading I still do from all viewpoints."  

So that's the third damn thing I have to hand to the woman.

Fucking hell  -- next up: film noire posts a photo of herself in pigtails.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 12

Re-enactment

When Ramona found out there was no Ramona Singer Pinot Grigio displayed at her surprise 60th Birthday party and that all this time she'd been drinking SKG

YdSmqHV.gif

Or maybe that's just a picture of her dancing

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, film noire said:

I can't stand the woman, but I have to acknowledge she had a friend with very different political views wearing a Deplorables t-shirt at her election night party, which shows humor on Radziwill's part, and graciousness. Neither quality is part of being a true elitist, imo. 

She addresses her news sources in her blog: "I watch real news and Fox news both. I read Politico, The Washington Post and the WSJ. C-Span plays on the television in my living room all day. Little excites me more than public hearings on tax reforms. If I were a musician, no one would argue with me about tonal and atonal progressions. They wouldn't haughtily claim superior fingerings on arpeggios, dismiss my musical background and walk away."

Again, I've ragged mercilessly on the woman, but I have to give that truth to her; if she were aligned with any other area of expertise, especially one that coded more 'feminine' than politics (if she'd had a career writing food columns for the NY Times, or writing cultural grants for non profits serving children,  or had a blog about mothering six kids, say) nobody would question her saying, "I know more about the ins and outs of this particular subject than the so called average person,  based on my fifteen year career, my former colleagues and contacts in the industry, and the widespread reading I still do from all viewpoints."  

So that's the third damn thing I have to hand to the woman.

Fucking hell  -- next up: film noire posts a photo of herself in pigtails.

4r8ywghU=

• Love 7
(edited)

If you look up smug liberal elitist social justice warrior  in the dictionary you will see a photo of Carole.

It is a joke to think she is anything but condescending and dismissive of the rest of the country.The snorts of derision about Georgia told you all you need to know about her smug and condescending attitude to flyover America. Bravo cleaned it up because they must have been concerned about the reaction if she spouted off her real beliefs, They fixed it so we only get dribs and drabs of her nasty nonsense the last few episodes. They filmed mealymouthed taking heads for damage control.

Hopefully she will fade into the background and return to her usual occupation of being a barnacle on the ass of a more assertive housewife.

Edited by Trooper York
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, ryebread said:

I completely understood that Carole didn't know what all the gadgets were in the rental car.  Sometimes it takes a minute. 

But when a 50 year old woman says, as she's taking long glances at the controls while driving on the freeway says, "What is this?" Long glance. "What if I press that buh-in?" Long glance. 

Mom: "Don't press it." 

Carole:  "Pressed it." heeheeheehee

She tries way too hard to be cute as a buh-in.  They must have cut out the part where she had her non-driving foot perched on the dashboard while driving, playing with all the buh-ins and jamming to Aerosmith. 

I think Carole is a both thick, truthfully.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Trooper York said:

If you look up smug liberal elitist social justice warrior  in the dictionary you will see a photo of Carole.

It is a joke to think she is anything but condescending and dismissive of the rest of the country. Bravo cleaned it up because they must have been concerned about the reaction if she spouted off her real beliefs that we only get dribs and drabs of in the last few episodes. So they filmed mealymouthed taking heads for damage control.

Hopefully she will fade into the background and return to usual occupation of being a barnacle on the ass of a more assertive housewife.

I would love that!!!