Type keyword(s) to search

Doc Martin - General Discussion

• Start Topic

In the midst of a Doc Martin binge from the beginning - now up to Season 6. (I haven't read through this thread yet because I don't want to be spoiled.)

Some thoughts:

I like the growing friendship between Al and Ruth. While I liked Joan, Ruth is a better character given her psychiatry background. I think that her introduction added a lot to the show. 

I liked Pauline - and Al/Pauline - and am sorry that she left the show.

PC Penhale is one of the most annoying characters on television. The saving grace is that the other characters realize what an idiot he is. 

Couldn't stand Martin's ex-fiancee (the OB/GYN) who tried to get back with him. 

I just passed the episode where Mrs. Tishell self-medicated and had her psychotic break. I usually find Mrs. Tishell to be good comic relief. Curious to see if and how she is re-integrated into the village. 

I like Louisa. She knows Martin, she understands Martin (even when he drives her nuts) and she loves him. 

As for Martin, IRL I would likely want to kill him if he was my doctor - regardless of his genius. He has to be one of the surliest characters ever on television - reminds me a bit of Dr. House. His personality is easy to overlook because of how much he cares and what a fantastically skilled doctor he is. Over the 5 seasons so far, I've seen only one real crack in his facade - when he opened up to Louisa as he was talking Mrs. Tishell and the baby down from the castle. 

I love seeing Martin saving all of these people in emergency situations using only his brain and the items at hand. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, LisaM said:

I like the growing friendship between Al and Ruth. While I liked Joan, Ruth is a better character given her psychiatry background. I think that her introduction added a lot to the show. 

I like Ruth better than Joan, too, because she seems more like Martin and seems to understand him better. Plus she makes me laugh!

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, ForReal said:

I like Ruth better than Joan, too, because she seems more like Martin and seems to understand him better. Plus she makes me laugh!

I like them both, to be honest.  Such different personalities but neither of them let Martin get away with anything.

• Love 1

I've been watching this show on Acorn and not going on the board because a lot of the posters were way ahead of me before now.  I won't reveal any spoilers, but I do have one question - after seeing the finale of Season 9, does anyone know if there will be a Season 10?  I'll just say that inquiring minds want to know.

I do think that Al and Morwenna are a cute couple and Morwenna especially was allowed to mature after acting rather clueless in the beginning, that was good to see.  I have to agree about Joe Penhale, it's hard to blame the actor when the character is so consistently dumb and self-absorbed, but I wish he didn't get so much screen time.   Bert is kind of annoying in his con-man way also, it always makes me sorry when poor Al is caught in the middle between him and Ruth.   To be honest I couldn't stand Mrs. Tishell either for the longest time, and after her breakdown I was hoping they'd write her out but strangely after 

Spoiler

her husband Clive suddenly died

I felt a lot more sympathetic about her, maybe it made her more three dimensional although her hero-worship of Martin didn't really go away.

I saw a behind the scenes piece on Acorn with all the actors talking and it was hilarious to see Martin Clunes smiling so much!  What a change.  And loving all the dogs!   I do feel for both Martin and Louisa, he has issues relating to people and she has issues trying to understand him but they have made progress.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, roseha said:

I'll just say that inquiring minds want to know.

I think that's a huge question complicated by the dearth of filming of anything during the pandemic.  From what I have read there is a possibility and the fans certainly want it but it's up to ITV and the availability of the cast members,

I thought the extra features were great, what a difference Martin Clunes is in "real" life.  The way he can turn into a completely different person is a testament to his acting ability. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

That is wonderful news.  I wonder when they'll be able to start filming.  We may not see Season 10 until 2022. ☹️

It will be a long wait but it will be totally worth it if it really does happen!

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, ForReal said:

I follow a FB page on Acorn TV/Doc Martin, and they say a tenth season has been confirmed.

Plus this:

https://www.newsroom24.co.uk/2020/04/11/doc-martin-series-10-is-officially-going-ahead-details/

Thanks so much @ForReal, and for sharing that story.  I'm so glad the renewal has been confirmed, even though we will all have to wait until it's safe for them to film, understandably of course.  I wonder if they will be getting an older child or children to play James at that point?

I was cracking up when James was still an infant and was saying to myself "that's not the same baby".  It was cute the way they originally were listing maybe half a dozen children as baby James.  Of course there are strict limitations on babies being filmed naturally.

I'd love to see that special video the cast made to celebrate the health care workers but it wouldn't play in the US, I wonder if it's on Youtube?

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1

I in the midst of Season 8.

Mrs. Tishell -- and her unrequited love for Martin - continues to crack me up. The character of Ruth was such a good addition to the show; I liked Joan but Ruth being a psychiatrist adds a lot as does her ongoing relationship with the Large men. I also like Morwenna better than Pauline - who was eons above the first receptionist played by Lucy Punch. 

Watching Martin continually hit his head on the door soffit, trip over the dog, get sideswiped by cars, etc.... will never get old. 

OTOH, Joe Penhale is exhausting. 

• Love 4
On 5/18/2020 at 10:44 AM, ForReal said:

I follow a FB page on Acorn TV/Doc Martin, and they say a tenth season has been confirmed.

Wow, I really had the sense that the

Spoiler

unsatisfactory

ending of series 9 was the end of the whole show.  And that made me very unhappy.  Thanks so much! 

Finally finished my binge watch of the entire series to date. I am already missing it! So glad to hear that Season 10 is in the works because the dual cliffhangers were too much! 

Spoiler

I think that we will find out that Martin resigned rather than agree to a quid pro quo to cover up his mentor's failing eyesight. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Also curious if Bert and Caitlin are becoming an item after the night together in the basement. 

This has been my husband's and my quarantine binge and we adore it--we are finally into season 9.  I'm glad to hear that there will be a season 10...sometime.  I have, however, read conflicting articles--one (which I'm frantically trying to find) saying that season 10 will be the last as Clunes wants to retire from acting and others (such as this one) that say that the show may continue past 10, but keep to the 2 year (which I'm guessing will be 2+ year until season 10, thanks to covid) plan.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

He wants to retire?  What a loss to his many fans.  I guess we'll have to be thankful for one more season.

Maybe.  As I said, I read conflicting stories on it.  In the one that said he wanted to retire, he said he wanted time to do nothing.  Since then, we’ve had the covid situation, so maybe he had had enough of that now!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I'm glad to hear that there will be a season 10...sometime.  I have, however, read conflicting articles--one (which I'm frantically trying to find) saying that season 10 will be the last as Clunes wants to retire from acting and others (such as this one) that say that the show may continue past 10, but keep to the 2 year (which I'm guessing will be 2+ year until season 10, thanks to covid) plan.

I can't find any info that he wants to retire.  He actually started two new series last year.  One didn't get a second season but another did--granted the one that did is only three episodes long.

I keep seeing him talk about "retiring" the doctor and I wonder if that leads to some misleading stories/headlines.  BTW, I remember reading season 9 was absolutely going to be the last until it wasn't.  

• Love 1
On 6/14/2020 at 4:28 PM, OtterMommy said:

Maybe.  As I said, I read conflicting stories on it.  In the one that said he wanted to retire, he said he wanted time to do nothing.  Since then, we’ve had the covid situation, so maybe he had had enough of that now!

This is a little like an opera singer on her fifth "farewell" tour.  I have followed this show and loved it for years, but there have been several points,  as far back as season six, where Clunes has said, "one more season, and that will be the end." And I think they meant it.  Then the lure of employment pulled them back.  I do hope for season ten.  The show deserves a better ending than the finale of season nine.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I think Season Nine was not meant to be the finale.  If so, the ending was a slap in the face to the fans.  

I hope against hope there will be a 10.  WAY too much left hanging.

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I hope against hope there will be a 10.  WAY too much left hanging.

There will definitely be a season 10, although we don't know when.  It was supposed to be in 2021, but I'm sure that is now pushed back.  The question was whether there will be a season 11 (and beyond).  Clunes has changed his tune on that and now it sounds like there will be.

• Love 1
On 5/30/2020 at 7:32 PM, freddi said:

And that made me very unhappy.  

We finally got to see Season 9. (Covid trapped the library copy of the videos at somebody's home for five months).  I was so glad to see eps 1 and 2.  Husband and I were really pleased with the way the characters continued to be themselves thanks to well written scipts. 

Then came the rest of the eps. Rushed and less well timed in my opinion.  The interplay between his aunt and doc deserved much more set up and work.  And how could he cut up a dog (was it?) with no ill effects?  

13 minutes ago, momo said:

I've been able to borrow Doc Martin DVDs from the library- try that.  We're waiting for S9, whether from the library, or PBS.

If your library system partners with Hoopla, you can view Season 9 on that.

I was watching Episode 1 of Jonathan Creek (from the 1990s) and recognized a voice coming from a minor background player. Sure enough, it was John Marquez who plays the cop in Doc Martin. 

7 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I read a few days ago it would only be offered on Acorn.

2 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Well, shoot.  Maybe down the line PBS will pick it up.

Acorn probably has exclusive streaming rights but there are things that have exclusive streaming rights that end up on PBS.  Instead of it ending up as a national pickup, however, it's usually the affiliates that pick it up.  That means it'll likely air at different times depending on when your local PBS chooses to broadcast it.

For instance, Death In Paradise airs exclusively on Britbox but it eventually ends up on my local PBS.  It just shows up at a different time than it might show up on someone else's. 

I'm watching Season 10 but not really enjoying it.  After 10 years, why is it so hard for Louisa - a certified counselor, as she's constantly emphasizing - that Martin is clearly on the spectrum, and just as clearly is a terrific and dedicated doctor? I can't even imagine a more unsupportive and belittling spouse. It sure is a unilateral marriage, where she gets her way in EVERYTHING even when it's clearly not a good idea.

I am glad, however, that they toned down Policeman Joe's stupidity.

• Love 1

Since there seems to be some confusion, spoiler rules are such: 

• Using spoiler tags to discuss an episode that has aired disrupts the flow of discussion and is not an accepted Primetimer TV practice.  
  • An episode is considered "aired" as soon as it airs on its original network.  As of this post, 6 episodes of the final season have aired in the UK and can be discussed without spoiler tags even though they haven't aired in the US. 

If you'd like to be courteous to US viewers, although it's not required, be specific about which episode you're discussing.  Therefore, if a reader hasn't seen that episode, they can skip over your post. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I'm watching this season just to get to the end. There is no joy in the show anymore - it's all the same characters but every episode shows them at their worst, Bert Large has become so intolerable I mute the TV whenever he's on - he was always awful but he would occasionally redeem himself and even that doesn't happen anymore. 

Heads up, anyone who has Comcast/Xfinity cable.  Nov 22-28 is FREE TV WEEK.  And it includes Acorn TV. Plenty of time to catch season 10 of Doc Martin! Right now, seven episodes are available.  I hope the eighth and final one will be added Monday.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Heads up, anyone who has Comcast/Xfinity cable.  Nov 22-28 is FREE TV WEEK.  And it includes Acorn TV. Plenty of time to catch season 10 of Doc Martin! Right now, seven episodes are available.  I hope the eighth and final one will be added Monday.

Thank you

I guess I'm the only one who has seen the final episode?  I will check back later.

They did do a good job of wrapping things up though there were some plot twists I didn't exactly expect.

Kind of agree about Bert being so annoying (though he softens in the last ep) but to me Mrs. Tissel has always been the worst.  Being obsessed with someone as she is with the Doc should possibly make her a sympathetic character on some level but I just find her grating not to mention predictable.

Anyway I will come back later.  I agree they pretty much had to wrap it up and after the pandemic break this was probably the best time.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, roseha said:

Kind of agree about Bert being so annoying (though he softens in the last ep) but to me Mrs. Tissel has always been the worst.  Being obsessed with someone as she is with the Doc should possibly make her a sympathetic character on some level but I just find her grating not to mention predictable.

^^^^This^^^^

I think that Mrs. Tissel is supposed to be a comic element, but she stopped being funny when she started commiting felonies.  Also, they are pretty clear that this is a woman with mental health issues and using that for comedy (when it isn't needed...there is already a lot of comedy in this show) is distasteful  Honestly, I would have been perfectly fine if they had just taken her completely out of this last season.  

• Applause 2