Type keyword(s) to search

The Wendy Williams Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, DrivingSideways said:

Is Wendy off one more week?

Yes, think she's back on March 12 - judging from the website showing when tickets are available..

Edited by Fishy
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, imjagain said:

I just read about Jerry O'Connell,  I'm beyond shocked Wendy would let anyone take her place for a week. But I'll be watching lol.

When she announced her 3 week hiatus she kept saying she'd be back in 2. She may not have had a much of a choice in this decision. Two weeks is a long time for a daily talk show to go without new episodes when all the other shows are airing new ones. Maybe Wendy realized that and gave the ok or was talked into giving the ok for Jerry to step in so it wouldn't turn into 3 weeks of reruns?

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, imjagain said:

I just read about Jerry O'Connell,  I'm beyond shocked Wendy would let anyone take her place for a week. But I'll be watching lol.

It could have been Big Kevin’s decision. He needs coin to support his ah...extracurricular activities. He also might have wanted to take down Wendy a notch and teach her a lesson about how indispensable she really is. I think that Jerry has a pure heart and won’t be gunning for her job. I think (hope) that he will just have fun with it and let tidbits of insider knowledge to us his viewers. It’s much better than reruns and Big Kev doesn’t want me to get comfortable with another show in this time slot. 

• Love 5

I don't know if I'll make it through an entire week of Jerry O'Connell (he grated my nerves during the Halloween show), but I must admit that it couldn't be too much worse than Wendy's venomous crap. I'll watch.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, imjagain said:

She always said there would be NO WAY!  See below.

23 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It could have been Big Kevin’s decision. He needs coin to support his ah...extracurricular activities. He also might have wanted to take down Wendy a notch and teach her a lesson about how indispensable she really is. I think that Jerry has a pure heart and won’t be gunning for her job. I think (hope) that he will just have fun with it and let tidbits of insider knowledge to us his viewers. It’s much better than reruns and Big Kev doesn’t want me to get comfortable with another show in this time slot. 

Well!  You may be onto something.

• Love 5

Even if Jerry was gunning for her job - can you imagine him trying to fill Wendy's shoes?  Love her or hate her, she has a niche and fills it well.  Jerry is extremely annoying... I wonder if Wendy will make up these shows during her summer break?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, DrivingSideways said:

Even if Jerry was gunning for her job - can you imagine him trying to fill Wendy's shoes?  Love her or hate her, she has a niche and fills it well.  Jerry is extremely annoying... I wonder if Wendy will make up these shows during her summer break?

I’m sorry that you feel that Jerry is annoying. I think he deserves a chance and it’s not like he’s going to be there all the rest of the season. Poor guy must be nervous as all get out worrying about how to fill her shoes. My jury is out until I see how he does but my fingers are crossed that he’ll provide some snarky entertainment and juicy gossip. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I never really understood why the show is live - it's not a news show/morning show like GMA or Today.  Is it to compete with Kelly & Ryan, which I don't watch and could care less that it's live.  In my opinion, a pre-taped show could work fine and it's a way to be able to control what the viewing audience sees.  It's a harsh reality of show business, but if for any reason Wendy doesn't come back 100%, the live format may put a spotlight on her that may make her seem unable to continue to carry the show.  Pre-taping could take the pressure off Wendy when she first comes back, until she gets back in the groove.  If/when she feels comfortable and is out of the woods, go back to live shows.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2

By the time the show airs where I live it’s taped anyway. I think the segment she did with James Brolin was taped and then later put into one of her shows. I had no problem with that. She lovers rappers too who don’t want to get up at the crack of dawn to be there at 8am for a 9am taping. It could give her the opportunity to have more guests. I agree with you and don’t know why it would make a big difference. I understand that the networks want to sell commercial time but the ratings don’t do us any favors. It just puts all of our shows up against each other and if you don’t have a DVR, like I don’t, it makes choosing hard. You’re right. It could take the pressure off of her (if illness or an “episode” strikes) and put her out there in the best light moving forward. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, imjagain said:

This totally goes against what Wendy has said forever - it's suspect to me, there's got to be more to it or some method to this madness. 

Don't care about watching him, but too curious not to.

Edited by Fishy
  • Love 5
On 3/7/2018 at 8:34 PM, DrivingSideways said:

Jerry is extremely annoying

On 3/7/2018 at 8:38 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I’m sorry that you feel that Jerry is annoying. I think he deserves a chance and it’s not like he’s going to be there all the rest of the season. Poor guy must be nervous as all get out worrying about how to fill her shoes. My jury is out until I see how he does but my fingers are crossed that he’ll provide some snarky entertainment and juicy gossip. 

As a guest on her show, he was unbearable to me. Bouncing off the walls manic unbearable. Maybe he will be a better host than guest. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

As a guest on her show, he was unbearable to me. Bouncing off the walls manic unbearable. Maybe he will be a better host than guest. 

That is my hope too. That he will make a better host than guest. I don’t believe for one hot minute that Wendy (or Big Kev) would allow a “ringer” to take over her show for a week lest the new person do so well that we would see them as a viable replacement for Wendy. 

• Love 4

I'm very intrigued with all the commotion that's been happening around Wendy Williams. She never took a day off since her show started in 2008 and now she's having a month off? I really really wonder what's going on. I don't believe it has much to do with her Grave's disease; my bet is that she's on rehab of some sort. Or did she perhaps suffer from a nervous breakdown? I also wonder how  come the allegations about Big Kev's sexual harassment haven't  resurfaced in the wake of me too movement (I guess that's why Wendy's over it). Surely the  right of being free from sexual harassment precedes a  non-disclosure agreement? One would a least hope so. 

I really wish she gets better, divorces Big Kev and finds her happiness again.

In the meantime, I'll be watching!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, krpa said:

She never took a day off since her show started in 2008 and now she's having a month off? 

I get so tired of hearing about Wendy never taking a day off. She takes very long vacations. Multiple times a year. Practically the entire summer. Yeah, I get it, it's summer hiatus and alot of TV people are off but my point is she should never have a need to "take a day off" yet she brags about it like she has such a great work ethic. Please, Wendy. Get real. 

• Love 6

I'm also a little surprised about the guest hosting. When her "vacation" was announced, I saw a clip of someone (TMZ?) interviewing her as she sat in her car and she was APPALLED at the question about anyone taking her place during her absence. Again it makes me wonder what's really going on and if she's really coming back on schedule. 

Anyway, it's back on my dvr starting Monday so I'll check it out to see how Jerry does. He might do ok if he can dial back the manic. 

• Love 4

I'm starting not to care if Wendy or her show ever comes back. I'm sure I'm not the only one, either. Out of sight, out of mind. The world continues to turn without Wendy. She must be freaking out at the thought of losing many of her fans  co-hosts. 

• Love 5

I catch the show live here in NYC, so you taped show watchers may want to skip this until later. I'm just throwing out quick observations.  SPOILERS ahead:

The show is still the familiar show with all the regular segments (Hot Topic, a gossip segment with that regular gossip guy, interview w/actress Retta, a product review).  Jerry is really shot out of a cannon - manic and over the top.  To his credit, I can say he is prepared and seems really into doing a good job and basically being male Wendy -- he's involving the co-hosts in HT, he's speaking to Norman, he's clearing his throat and saying he needs tea, he even called out a "shady cameraman" like Wendy does.  He went into the audience near the end of the hour but only did a quick contest (answer 5 questions in 30 seconds).  We'll see if later in the week he does a "Ask Jerry" segment.  Jerry dropped Wendy's name a couple of times - thanking her, get well soon wishes.   

A couple of times, I was rolling my eyes at Jerry's antics and thinking he should take it down a notch.   He was kind of exhausting and I asked myself if I can take that much energy for the next 4 days... not sure yet.   

Forgot this tidbit:   They swapped out Wendy's purple chair with a gold one.

Edited by patty1h
Chair info
  • Love 4

Jerry is always a little bit hyper, which could be toned down a bit, but overall he did a fantastic job.  He knows hot topics really inside and out and actually read the guest's book.  The pace was much faster and he got thru a lot of issues.  He also knows her little mannerisms and it was funny when he said, "now I need a teabag and this is when I would put a cough drop in my tea."  He was a wonderful substitute.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, abc123 said:

"now I need a teabag and this is when I would put a cough drop in my tea."  He was a wonderful substitute.

Now you have me intrigued! I will have to watch.  Sounds like Jerry was throwing a little shade at Wendy. Wendy must be pissed as hell and jealous when she was watching. That is if she's allowed to watch TV in rehab.....

• Love 5

It just finished airing here. I was ok with Jerry. The only thing that annoyed me was his clapping at himself or what he just said. It was probably just nervous energy but I wish he’d tone that down. I had a few giggles at how much he made sure to revere Miss Wendy and Big Kev (no I’m not calling him Mr Hunter like Jerry did). It was cute about the chair (throne) thing and the many ways that he copied her Schtick. I think it was a smart move to put him on rather than risk the losing of viewers. It also made sure that the production staff had work so they didn’t miss their paychecks. 

• Love 3

I enjoyed Jerry (and never thought I would write that!).  He calmed down a bit as the show went on.  I liked that he did 'impersonations' as he referenced people during the Hot Topics.  I also thought that Suzanne and Norman sincerely looked happier than I've seen them look in a long, long time.  Jerry made sure that he gave shout-outs to the audience, staff, and Wendy and Mr. Hunter.  I also liked that he moved right along with the Hot Topics and interview without taking exaggerated pauses that only slow down the discussion.  I would not be unhappy if he continued for more than a week.  Like others, I would be very interested in knowing what is going on behind the scenes.

Oh, and working four days a week with multiple breaks during the school year (i.e. all of the holidays and normal vacation times) while having the whole summer off is not a typical work pattern for most Americans, so it is easier to make it through without taking additional days off.

• Love 4

Jerry is a lot, but I kind of enjoyed him. Hope he does calm down a bit. I cracked up when they showed Bobby Christina's husband  (?) And those eyebrows lol. Not only because  Jerry was hilarious about it but because I know wendy was watching and I bet she wishes she could throw not so subtle shade at them.  Norman and Suzanne did look happy lol. I will watch again. 

• Love 6

I liked that Jerry was into what he was doing and not acting like it was a chore or service he was doing for everyone. He was knowledgeable when it came to the stuff he was talking about because he watches most of the shows and obviously reads what a lot of us do. Norman seemed glad he wasn't being put on the spot about topics the way Wendy does because she really doesn't watch or do research when it comes to what she's speaking about.  Jerry is really hyper though. I kinda wanted to throw half of a ADD pill at him so he'd calm down half way. 

• Love 6

I actually enjoyed Jerry! His Hot Topics were better than Wendy's. He was funny which is something Wendy hasn't been in a long time. Bitchy is all she has been. He went off the rails a couple of times with the constant mention of "allegedly" and shout outs to Wendy, though. I hope he doesn't do that all week. Do you think he was told to constantly mention Wendy? Boy, she and Big Kev are scared shitless that she is going to be forgotten so poor Jerry has to insert her name every other sentence. Stop, already. We get it, it's Wendy's show. Even though she's been phoning it in the entire season. 

• Love 9

Didn't enjoy Jerry at all.  Barely could watch, but I couldn't take him when he was just a guest on the show, let alone the Host.  Ugh, I'm done.  I'll wait for Wendy to return.  I didn't care for Suzanne's haircut either.... just sayin'.  

I think all the hootin' and hollerin' and clappin' and screamin' has just taken it's toll on me.   Had to laugh though at all the mentions of Wendy.  Wendy who?  LOL!!   I'm surprised they didn't have her call in, but there's still time.  Oy.

• Love 4

This felt very strange to me.  Jerry is way too extra, he needs to tone it way down.  However, it was odd the way he was using all of Wendy's lines, talking to her staff, giving props to Big Kev... the whole thing kind of felt like a warning to Wendy.  "We can do your show without you..."  I don't know, I found it odd.  Having said that, I don't think I would watch the Jerry O'Connell show.

• Love 3

Give that man a Vallium for God's sake. Sounds like somebody ordered him to mention Wendy a minimum of twice every minute. He actually wouldn't be bad if he calmed the fuck down cuz he did know his stuff and he made a few good jokes, but the mania over-shadowed it. I will give him the week though.  

So is Wendy just gonna show up next Monday, soak in 10 minutes of Suzanne-driven applause,  dab tears from her eyes with Q-tips over how much the audience "loves" her, and then tell us her Grave's disease is better. Cuz you are gonna have to better than that bullshit, girl. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Give that man a Vallium for God's sake. Sounds like somebody ordered him to mention Wendy a minimum of twice every minute. He actually wouldn't be bad if he calmed the fuck down cuz he did know his stuff and he made a few good jokes, but the mania over-shadowed it. I will give him the week though.  

So is Wendy just gonna show up next Monday, soak in 10 minutes of Suzanne-driven applause,  dab tears from her eyes with Q-tips over how much the audience "loves" her, and then tell us her Grave's disease is better. Cuz you are gonna have to better than that bullshit, girl. 

Yet I think it’s going to play out exactly as you described. 

• Love 3

Jerry is over the top, but I thought he did a great job as host. He seems like a true fan of the Wendy show and he seemed to be having a great time. I also thought he was very funny especially when he was making fun of Nick Gordon's eyebrows and that housewife whose dress came off on stage. I can't remember her name. I look forward to watching the rest of the week with Jerry.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Steph619 said:

I also thought he was very funny especially when he was making fun of Nick Gordon's eyebrows and that housewife whose dress came off on stage. I can't remember her name

Her name is Sonja Morgan from the New York Housewives. He was really good with HT because he is actually a fan of reality TV. He and his wife watch all the shows and talk about them all the time on WWHL with Andy Cohen. It really drives home how ill prepared Wendy has become with her show.  Like somebody else upthread said he just needs to take a sedative and chill a bit because he is naturally funny. I hope this shows Wendy that she needs to tighten up her act and get back to the old Wendy so many people would tune in to watch and not take her success for granted. Now, having said all that, Jerry better slay it for the rest of the week!

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4

Dear Jerry:

You're a lovely man and you'll always be Vern from Stand By Me.  Your daughters are cutie-pies.

That said, FFS take it down...a...notch!!  Every single time he's on a show I feel like he's auditioning!  Over the top?  He was way, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy beyond that.

I'll wait for Monday when Wendy returns, thanks.

• Love 1

I enjoyed watching Jerry. Yes, Wendy shout outs were a bit annoying but I'm about 99% sure that he was told to do this. I did think that he was a bit over the top, but it might be just the nerves. For once, it was nice to see someone who knows what they're talking about without unnecessary distractions (cleaning teeth&nose, etc).

He was also well prepared for the interview. When Retta said that she hadn't seen her book before, I couldn't help to think that Wendy would say something like "What? Who are you?!?!?" (in a very rude tone). I love Wendy, but not the bitter and angry version of herself that she has become over the last couple of years.

I was also thinking about her parents! They haven't been on the show in more than a year until recently! Did you notice how rude she was to them? No wonder they don't visit more often! They seem such lovely people.

• Love 6

Today I noticed that Jerry made mention of someone telling him that he needed to tone it down. He tried but I think that he is enthusiastic and genuinely happy to be doing this. He does like the reality shows and has a decent knowledge of what’s going on in their shows.  I’m still tuning in (ah crap...I’m going to have to miss tomorrow’s episode so someone please fill me in. Thank you) 

• Love 4

OK, day 2 of Jerry. Whyyyyyy was he yelling through all of Hot Topics? I had to keep turning the volume down on my teevee. I really enjoyed him yesterday, not at all today. I deleted the rest of the show. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Today I noticed that Jerry made mention of someone telling him that he needed to tone it down.

He said he got a lot of Insta posts telling him to calm down. He didn't listen. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

OK, day 2 of Jerry. Whyyyyyy was he yelling through all of Hot Topics? I had to keep turning the volume down on my teevee. I really enjoyed him yesterday, not at all today. I deleted the rest of the show. 

He said he got a lot of Insta posts telling him to calm down. He didn't listen. 

I don’t know that he didn’t listen but it’s more like he’s a wild card and couldn’t tone it down. 

• Love 2

Seriously, what is wrong with this grown ass man who is a PROFESSIONAL ACTOR that he cannot present a reasonably calm demeanor. I mean, he got the criticism on  Instagram, he acknowledged it, said he needed to correct it, lasted about 2 minutes, and then TOTALLY SPAZZED AGAIN!!

Is he like this all the time around his children and his wife? Cuz if I was married to that, I would chew my arm off to escape. It's exhausting. But I will FF through it nonetheless.  

• Love 5

It was over the top but I liked it better than Wendy. At least Jerry was funny and not offensive or bitter.  He didn’t dig it his nose or use a Q-tip for tear. I liked that he was knowledgeable about the people he was talking about and wasn’t spaced out.  He was funny, I was actually laughing and the co hosts seem to be genuinely laughing too.  I felt he really connecting with Ruben; it was a fun conversation but he pushed him about is dating status.  Tv producers alway encourage you to be over the top and he desperately wants to be accepted by the co hosts.  But he has to careful of “Mr. Hunter” and Wendy.  I would not want that task.

• Love 2

I wasn't feeling Jerry the first 10 minutes of Monday's show, but started to come around a bit after that. Today was a totally different story. I'm all for enthusiasm but CHILL THE HELL OUT! Not everything has to be so big and loud and over exaggerated, but that's just his personality, I guess. 

• Love 1

Please Pretty Please will someone watch the show for me tomorrow? (Wednesday) Dorit from RHOBH is going to be on and I have to get someone at the airport. Dang. I don’t have a DVR. If anyone knows where I could stream the show later (probably won’t get to it until Thursday) please send me a link. Ok virtual friends, I’m leaving it in your capable hands. Many many thanks. 

14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Please Pretty Please will someone watch the show for me tomorrow? (Wednesday)

Not sure how much detail you wanted; I'm going to just do quick impressions - if you want more I can try to fill in more info.  

Jerry came out dancing - said he made it 3 days!  He must have dropped Wendy's name 20X in the first 10 minutes (reminding us she's back Monday!!!), then saying he doesn't know how Wendy does this 5 times a week. HT covered some RHOA, RHOBH w/clips, Kylie K's new makeup line, meeting Kris K. at a Target store, quick stories about his wife and kids, story about that 'hot felon' guy, with Jerry mentioning how cute the felon is(!?). 

2nd segment:  RH Dorit interview, which I muted since I know nothing about her and could care less. 

3rd segment:  Went in the audience and did a super quick Ask Wendy.  Spoke to 2 people; he gave one sentence answers and it was over.

4th segment:  An exercise segment involving trampolines.  Jerry had changed into shorts and Suzanne got in on the action.  Jumped about 5 minutes and segment over.

5th segment:  Jerry did a pre-taped thing on the streets of NYC; he asked people questions and they got money for correct answers.  

6th segment:  Jerry back in regular clothes and back in the audience, doing a "What the Flick" segment.  Showed one co-host a pic from a movie and asked for the title.  Fun fact: he showed a pic of himself as a chubby kid when he was in the movie "Stand by Me".   Show ends w/Jerry in audience telling details on tomorrows show.

Jerry was a little less manic today, but a little less focused too.  He rambled a bit while telling the stories about Kylie and meeting Kris in Target.  Oh well, two more days.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 3

@patty1h Thank you so much. I have a feeling I know why he was more subdued and less prepared today. He was on WWHL late last night (it goes live at 11) and the host Andy loves to feed his guests alcohol to help them open up. Jerry was probably tired getting up early for the Wendy Show and didn’t have his usual manic energy. Thank you so much for the recap. 

Sending you a virtual bouquet of spring flowers ? 

• Love 1

Ding Ding Ding - mindthinkr gets a prize!  You are totally right about Jerry - he said as much during his first 2 minutes into the show.  He mentioned being on WWHL and being tired - I left that part out of my synopsis thinking it was trivial info.

• Love 2