Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Reunion Part 1

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, notnowimbusy said:

Erika's son went to Valley Forge Military Academy in PA.   It's a boarding school grades 7-12, then a Jr. College.    Could be from 7th grade on, he was away from both parents.

It ain't cheap. Guess that's where Tom's wallet came into play.

http://www.boardingschoolreview.com/valley-forge-military-academy-profile

Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $39,995

Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $24,500

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

No, no one is claiming they are innocent but as soon as Erika told Dorit "they were fine", that she let it go and they high fived each other she should have dropped it and made her cronies (Eileen/Rinna) do likewise. Now, if Erika had a change of heart a few days/weeks later she should have told Dorit so that Dorit knew the score and could apologize to her if she wanted to but she didn't, which is all on Erika at this stage!

I also want to hear her say something like, man what a dumb fashion/sitting/speaking choice I made. But her jib appears to be cut a different way, so I don't think I am going to get that.

Edited by Jel
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Completely agree to disagree. I am trying to figure out when other HW's have over and over again brought up stuff on camera that the other gals don't want to talk about. I'll tell you what, if any one of them ever bring up LVP's lawsuits (which she doesn't want addressed on the show), the allegation that Ken wanted to have evidence destroyed of sexual harrassment, or the specifics behind whatever happened to have Max sent away prior to S1, I will put the exact same judgment on that person, because I think it is shitty.  If someone continues to do it to others and kind of makes a thing out of it,  bringing up stuff they know a gal is trying to keep on the low-down for whatever reason, I will assume they are slimy. I completely disagree that they all do this. 

I do not see what LVP and Ken's lawsuits have to do with the other women.  None of the other women are at all involved with the plaintiffs.  There is a certain level of relevancy the producers strive for and the lawsuits are relevant unless it makes a major dent in one of the businesses. 

LVP addressed Max out the gate in Season 1-she said he was sent to Idaho as he had been running with the wrong crowd.  They also showed Max coming back and enrolling in a music academy.  As an adult Max chose for the most part not to be involved in filming for many seasons.  When asked LVP has responded very openly about her children.

The best example of people not bringing stuff up or letting as housewife just present her side without inquiry is Mauricio and The Agency.  Many a poster, blogger, recap writer have describe Mauricio as stealing clients from his BIL.  It was lightly touched on by Kyle over Nicky's wedding, but for the most part no one has expressed a desire to get to the bottom of that family drama.  (I don't feel like Mauricio stole Hilton's clients and am very happy for his success.)  DO they not inquire out of respect for Kyle or because it is too tangential to be part of the show? 

Mostly, I don't think you can have a full on meltdown and scream about your son and not expect it to be addressed or scenes with your mother and talk about her faults and not expect the situation to be addressed.  Marriage and children are the backbone of the RH franchise. 

I have a far bigger dislike of Rinna who just makes shit up, like doing coke in the bathroom, under the guise of putting it all out there.  With LVP I do think she has been guilty of trying to get to know the person and it comes off as invasive.  I just don't think these women can be hamstrung with a list of touchy subjects for others.

• Love 22
12 hours ago, 55Unicorns said:

SIGH...and if the situation were reversed...if HE had left HER with the child...would we even be having this conversation??

I'm not a fan when EITHER parent decides their lives are more important than their childs and decides long distance parenting is just A OK while one parent is doing the bulk of the work. I think the imbalance is damaging because what is pretty evident is that one parent decided the child was worth it while the other didn't. No way to spin that. And I find it completely unnecessary to put any child through that (barring some seriously significant reason).

• Love 22
13 hours ago, BlackMamba said:

I expected Dorit to slay when it came to her dress.  Her makeup was gorgeous and hair was nice.
Kyle just kills me.  With the exception season 5's reunion, reunion dresses never woo me.  

I wish someone would show up in jeans and light makeup - imo they all look better that way, and probably feel more relaxed. Maybe the godawful dresses are included in their contracts.

• Love 5

Is PK even a US citizen? Are the children US citizens? 

What does that have to do with anything? Whatever visa he would have been on, his kids could have been included in it with him.

Nobody LOVES Erica

Like any HW, she has her fans. Maybe not many on here, but you do see them on other boards.

Was she afraid that Eileen would rescind the offer to appear on Days? 

You mean Y&R? Either way, it isn't Eileen's to offer or rescind. She might have brought it with Y&R, but they had to give the final agreement.

Call me old fashioned, sexist, or stupid, but I am firm in my belief that barring extreme circumstances like mental illness, addiction etc, very young children " are usually better off in the custody of their mothers

That;s like saying kids are better off being raised by their mothers and not nannys...

I want Kyle to dress more like her money at the reunions

That isn't the problem with Kyle...she just chooses to spend her money on the wopr. She has a great figure, she just needs to figure out what type of dresses flatter her body.

And neither would Kyle

She did block Eden lol

and they would also question why Eileen wasn't held accountable as well

LVP, maybe. Kyle probably wouldn't give a shit.

PK is just....ugh. So gross. Almost enough to set me straight...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

This is the best thing I have read in this forum this year - love it!!! 

I was quite surprised at how nervous LVP was before they went on stage to film the reunion. Not nearly as cool, calm and collected as she likes to come across. And I don't for a minute believe that LVP was innocently asking Erika about how she raised her son as opposed to how she was raised. She knew exactly what she was doing. LVP (as she said) is a long time friend of PK's - she is the one that suggested PK and Dorito for the show. There is no way she would not want to embarrass Erika after Erika has called out her friends, several times. 

Dorito without the accent in 2013 is hilarious!!! I keep thinking about the article link in last week's thread where Dorito and PK are interviewed regarding going on the show. PK claims that they are the most open, honest people you will ever meet, with nothing to hide. Lol. I wonder how many assests he hid during his bankruptcy to be able to afford 3 full time housekeepers and a stable of nannies. Not to mention the rent on their house (have they ever admitted that it is a rental?), expensive cars, etc. Anyone wanna bet on when his next bankruptcy will be? 

No sooner than seven years after discharge of the prior bankruptcy.  PK and Dorit both behave as if they have tons of money to blow.  We can safely presume that PK is paying child support for at least two of his children with his first wife, and I for one would love to know how that amount was arrived at.  Of course he was giving the poormouth to the court during his BK proceeding, but now that he's living in Beverly Hills and doing so well financially as to be gifting his new wife with a Bentley, I wonder how that's going over with Family No. 1.

• Love 7

Andy just sucks at these reunions. The most interesting thing I heard was when Dorit said that she thought that she and Erika would be fast friends because they had friends in common, I was waiting for a follow-up question from Andy. I mean, that is very interesting to me. Would have loved to know more. 

• Love 21

She doesn't drop syllables or the ends of words nor does she smoosh sounds together so they are lost

Probably because she isn't aiming for a cockney accent, she seems to be aiming for something a bit more posh and upper class.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Anne Thrax said:

No sooner than seven years after discharge of the prior bankruptcy.  PK and Dorit both behave as if they have tons of money to blow.  We can safely presume that PK is paying child support for at least two of his children with his first wife, and I for one would love to know how that amount was arrived at.  Of course he was giving the poormouth to the court during his BK proceeding, but now that he's living in Beverly Hills and doing so well financially as to be gifting his new wife with a Bentley, I wonder how that's going over with Family No. 1.

His BK was in the UK, the US never recognized his BK under a Chapter 15. 

It could very well be his first wife, who was supporting him at one point, ended up with the lion's share of unencumbered assets. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

She did keep her cool, as I am sure she knew what LVP was doing. Obviously Erika doesn't want to discuss it on camera or she would have. Reminds me of when LVP casually outed Chad as Kim's child who had suffered the breakdown, when it had previously remained anonymous as to which child it was. Or when she feigned interest in Eileen and the affair, knowing full well Eileen didn't want to talk about it on camera. Or when she brought up the Mauricio cheating rumors. Luckily for LVP, people have always let her decide what she wants to reveal on camera and what she doesn't (lawsuits for example) and never push her to do so.  

Thank-you! I was too tired last night to write that up. imo LVP really gets off on making others feel bad - with her I see the same red flags that Ariana sees flying over Stassi on VPR.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I know Valley Forge. I know people who attended it. My brothers attended a different boarding school. I'd say that her son was probably home about once a month because my brothers were with long weekends, breaks, and just random times when my folks wanted to see their faces. Or we'd go to see them in plays or some of their games. I'm not sure where in New Jersey her ex and his parents lived, but the school is less than 2 hours away from NYC. So it's a slightly different version of being away when his dad was still in the tristate area. When his dad moved to Vegas, I would call it as about the same as Erika.

Call me "old fashion," but I see boarding and Military Academies as little more than "mini-prisons!" My heart was breaking just going to camp for 3 weeks when I was 14! If you can't take care of your own kids, "don't have them!" These days, there shouldn't be any "accidents" occurring so I barely listen to people who think their profession is more important! My parents thought about sending my brother to one; just a little out of control! I think the threat was enough! I would never just drop my kid off with some strangers and assume they're getting the best care! All kinds of things go on behind closed doors and I don't want to be the one of many to look at myself wondering about the welfare and psychology of my child if being formed elsewhere and by others! ;-(

• Love 5
2 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

And then I got - "Maybe you have a thyroid issue." Bitch, I'm not even 30 yet.

Heeey. Just wanted to jump in real quick and say that your thyroid doesn't care how old you are if it wants to go on the fritz. I am 30, but I've had thyroid problems since I was a teenager. It's not just an issue for aging folks ;)

carry on!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

The impression I get from Erika is she essentially spoiled.  When she speaks of her mother being harsh with criticism and then prattles on about calling for her own auditions I always wonder if perhaps Erika's mom was being realistic about Erika's range of talent.  Being a parent of an aspiring singer, dancer, actor or athlete requires a certain amount of reality checks on the part of the parent.  Stopwatches don't lie, casting directors are looking for talent and in a highly competitive field such as entertainment the pool is quite deep.   At whatever level it takes a certain commitment from parents to pay for lessons, take kids to auditions and still provide them with life's basics.  Tom was just a gold mine for Erika, she was able to hire the best and still has fairly mediocre results after ten years of glam quads, voice training, expensive videos and back up dancers. I see it as a very strong commitment from Tom and needless to say an expensive one.  I admire Erika for taking on the task of "Dancing with the Stars", it is a different kind of reality check and a much different audience than she is use to. 

I agree leave mom out of it.

I don't think Erika has any talent. She has skills that she payed to learn, but that's it. She goes through the motions. Not a drop of soul.  I can never forget her practicing the scales with a vocal coach a couple seasons back! Omg! The Watch What Crappens boys cover it in their podcasts and I lmao every time. I want it as a ring tone!

• Love 21
6 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

Andy mentions that Rinna made fun of Dorit's accent.  Her talking head shows she actually did make fun of Dorit's accent. Rinna then does that whole laugh/giggle thing and feigns amnesia. I've never wanted so much to crawl through my TV screen and punch someone. I can't stand Rinna and while Dorit isn't the greatest, I can't help but root for her.

Why in the HELL are we still talking about pantygate?!

That crazy laugh of Rinna's makes me cringe - is it to cover her insecurity or to cover her nastiness? Maybe both. Almost every talking head clip includes the crazy laugh.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Giselle said:

Erica is a dead beat mom. Financially but more importantly emotionally.

Erica put her pie in the sky interests above her very young son and left him at an important time in his life. That is a fact. She could have chosen to be a struggling actress, entertainer and a cocktail waitress in New York and still see him each day to make those connections. She abandoned him. Not because she was leaving to start work at an amazing profitable job that would benefit the family, she was slinging drinks looking for a sugar daddy or a producer. The money could not have been that great. Erica was a dead beat. An emotional and financial dead beat mom. She chose her chance at fame over her 3 year old son. She is dead beat mom.

That her son has come to terms with his abandonment and has a relationship with his mother speaks more highly of him and not of her.

Who is she to critique or post anything about Dorit's mothering skills.

This is what will always stand out to me.

• Love 11
Just now, AndySmith said:

From 2013. Dorit sounds somewhat normal here! What the fuck happened?

People wonder about the accent or "lack thereof," but all I wonder is why people care? As long as I've been alive, I've gotten more exercise out of SMH in bewilderment at how acceptable it is for the masses to question just about everything with everybody! Social media just puts it on a scale I wouldn't have fathomed as a child of the 60's! Some of us just like to keep it to ourselves I guess! ;-)

• Love 20

There is no way she would not want to embarrass Erika after Erika has called out her friends, several times

Why would Erika be embarrassed to talk about being a single mother raising her son?

This should be Eileen's last season.

Yes, but I doubt they'll get rid of Erika's #1Fangurl.

Another quote about Erika (from Snappy's post) is featured on the homepage. Not a good week for her at PTV.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, KungFuBunny said:

At the beginning they showed Kyle at her house…she looked absolutely gorgeous.

On the sofa, why was Kyle wearing 2 Italian Bread Sleeves? I also want to know what 2 heroes she ate from Subway.

The color blocking did her no favors

Fashion critique: Kyle is giving green beetle blech

Japanese-Beetle-Picture.jpg

You are one funny bunny :)

I've been thinking about this ep and I can't really come up with one super memorable moment, perhaps because (as others have noted) so much of this was already hashed and rehashed over the season. 

I'm also realizing that who one likes and dislikes while watching is largely a matter of degrees. No one has clean hands here, so I suppose that--in most cases--favoring one cast member over another depends on the balance of what you find enjoyable versus what irritates you. (Except Rinna. She's intolerable. LOL) For example: I can see how LVP sneaks those snarky/nasty comments through, but I find her general manner much more fun and appealing to watch than, say, Eileen who (IMO) can't seem to let things go or take anything lightly, or Erika, who (IMO) very rarely seems to enjoy herself. I don't find that fun to watch. But I've seen many of you argue in favor of Eileen and Erika, and I totally understand your perspectives. I'd rather watch them than someone who shrieks and talks over others on the regular. 

Aside from Rinna I don't really want or need any of these women gone. There isn't a quorum of unlikable people that would make me stop watching a la NJ and Atlanta (I won't watch if I only like one person... not worth my time). Odds are, the likelihood of the producers replacing any of them (except Rinna) with someone more enjoyable than the last is low. And I've seen that people I like who end up on RH shows (see Kim Fields) can be super boring non-starters. 

All this said, I hope we now move on from pantygate. It was never all that interesting to begin with, and I think we've covered several innings' worth of bases. Let's move on to Rinna getting hers ;)

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 11
23 minutes ago, Giselle said:

It ain't cheap. Guess that's where Tom's wallet came into play.

http://www.boardingschoolreview.com/valley-forge-military-academy-profile

Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $39,995

Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $24,500

Wow, never a waste to invest in a child's education.  The elementary school Portia attends is over $30k a year and at one time the Umanskys had three kids in private school. (I am not putting a link up so as not to identify where the children attend.)

So many amazing leaders have come out of boarding schools and it is quite common in Europe.  The son obviously liked it and seems to be a successful adult. 

It brings me back to Erika though-don't take the cheap shots at Dorit and PK's parenting decisions. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

That was a fairly boring reunion episode & at some point this ridiculous "panty gate" story has to end.   If Lisa V. was trying to set up Erika with her comment about Erika's approach to raising her son, then I'm right there with her.  Erika brought up being 20 and having a baby without any help....someone should call her out.  She did not raise her child.  

This should be Eileen's last season.  She brings nothing to this show.   

imo Eileen brings decency and heart to the show - without the Eileens and Kyles, these shows would be nothing but insecure, nasty bitches trying to be top dog.

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 12

If I watch an episode or two of an UK show, then I start using words/phrases like "brilliant", "spot on", "mugging me off", "bang out of order", etc... I can only imagine what I would sound like after 3+ years of living with a person or people with a British accent and I only speak one language fluently~English (and about 50% fluent in Spanish).

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 23

By that logic, shouldn't PK be sounding more American? Especially since he isn't just married to an American, he is actually living in America? And living in America for years even before he met Dorit?

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

This is minor, but it bugged me that after Ericka released her glam squad on Eileen, Ericka asked her if she felt pretty.  In my opinion, Eileen always looks stunning and it doesn't require three/four additional humans getting paid who knows what per hour to assist. 

3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I agree with this. Eileen is naturally gorgeous! I would have asked, "Do you feel pampered?" instead. 

Yeah, pampered would have been a better word but I do think the sentiment was well intended. Because it was part of Erika's apology, I think she was being extra attentive in making sure that Eileen liked the look but even if Eileen felt like a clown, I doubt she would have said so, lol.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

By that logic, shouldn't PK be sounding more American? Especially since he isn't just married to an American, he is actually living in America? And living in America for years even before he met Dorit?

Obviously not all people are the same and maybe he does sound more American than he use to sound.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Jamie Satyr said:

Call me "old fashion," but I see boarding and Military Academies as little more than "mini-prisons!" My heart was breaking just going to camp for 3 weeks when I was 14! If you can't take care of your own kids, "don't have them!" These days, there shouldn't be any "accidents" occurring so I barely listen to people who think their profession is more important! My parents thought about sending my brother to one; just a little out of control! I think the threat was enough! I would never just drop my kid off with some strangers and assume they're getting the best care! All kinds of things go on behind closed doors and I don't want to be the one of many to look at myself wondering about the welfare and psychology of my child if being formed elsewhere and by others! ;-(

My parents are immigrants and much of the schooling in their birth country is done at boarding school. They don't have the same feelings about it as you might. Additionally, my brothers wanted to go to boarding school. I think you have to know your kids. One kid might be able to handle sleep away camp and boarding school. Another might not. Another might need single sex education, but the others can handle a coeducational environment with no problems.

I know some people slammed Rinna for leaving her daughters in NYC for a day or two. Based on what we've seen on the show, I'd have no problems leaving the younger girl in the city, but the older daughter seems silly and easily led astray. If you're an attentive and perceptive parent, you'll know what your kid can and can't handle. Additionally, there are many instances of people manipulating, coercing, bullying, and abusing kids in plain old regular public schools with their parents none the wiser. I don't know that it matters if the kid is at home or away as long as you have a good open relationship so that they feel comfortable talking to you when they're scared or troubled.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Kyle has appeared on television in some form for most of her life. What in the hell was she thinking with that dress?   

This!!!! I love me some Kyle but girl that dress was horrendous and did your upper arms no favors!

15 hours ago, chick binewski said:

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

No, because not everyone's brain is wired to pick up accents easily. It's a minority of people who do that.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

I find it somewhat absurd that LVP, when they are talking about parenting was trying to have Erika draw out her rearing of her child.

Let's review all the people who have had their parenting "questioned"  Brandi when her kids peed on the lawn, the ultimate Adrienne Maloof and her surrogate children,  Camille and the four nannies, LVP and her being accused of favoring her birth child over her adopted child, Kyle and her daughter Portia being a spoiled brat, Kyle and claiming she lied and had nannies (she didn't), Rinna's kids calling the people of Oregon chub-chubs, Rinna leaving her daughters unchaperoned in NYC, Yolanda's kid and eat an almond and chew it slowly, Yolanda and her kid's DUI, Kim's son, Taylor daughter and "where is she?",  Carlton and dropping f-bombs around her kids, LVP and her step-son, LVP and not paying her adult son's utility bill to get the power back on.

I think Erika got off light as what came across is she was a stay at home mom and magically her son 25 years later lives with her.   There was a huge gap and it was shrouded by her son's desire for privacy.  Erika needs to stand by her choices, not necessarily defend them but the huge omission is somewhat insulting.  I don't think you can give outside interviews and describe leaving your child and moving across the country, criticize your mother's efforts as a single parent, make cracks about Dorit and her nannies and default to privacy.  My guess is there wasn't money in the Erika budget when she was 20 years old and we know from Erika's own words she wasn't getting acting, dancing singing jobs in NYC.  Nannies are a luxury and I am not against any parent bringing in help anymore than a parent who uses a daycare or family to help with the care of their children.

As far as LVP I think it entirely reasonable when Erika made an issue of how she was raised to ask about how she raised her child.  It wasn't as if they were talking about facelifts and LVP interjected. 

THIS!

• Love 11

Good ol' Tom could save himself a boatload of money sending Erika to a good therapist instead of propping her up with private planes, glam squads, and vanity productions.

LVP suggested that perhaps Erika wore a "mask" - good point from Queen of the Masks.

• Love 8

No, because not everyone's brain is wired to pick up accents easily. It's a minority of people who do that.

Dorit isn't even picking the right accent from PK, though. His accent is much more working class than the posh upper-class accent she seems to be aiming for.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

No, no one is claiming they are innocent but as soon as Erika told Dorit "they were fine", that she let it go and they high fived each other she should have dropped it and made her cronies (Eileen/Rinna) do likewise. Now, if Erika had a change of heart a few days/weeks later she should have told Dorit so that Dorit knew the score and could apologize to her if she wanted to but she didn't, which is all on Erika at this stage!

Erika turned into a "gotcha" game with Dorit which is unfair, calculating and poor sportsmanship. Dorit was blindsided. Talk about manipulation...she's over it until she's not. Erika changes the rules when she sees fit. She even said as much. "It's over (her hurt over this giant nothingburger) when I decide it is". Yuck. Erika is a vile, stupid woman. 

• Love 21
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I think Erika likes to re- write the story of her childhood. She even admits her mother told her she loved her often and showed her affection. So what exactly was so difficult?  Erika is just a self centered bitch, plain and simple. Don't drag your mama in to it. 

I think it was clear in the unseen footage we saw. Her mother made her do lots of things herself from a young age so she knew how to talk to people. That can be difficult for children.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Vicky8675309 said:

If I watch an episode or two of an UK show, then I start using words/phrases like "brilliant", "spot on", "mugging me off", "bang out of order", etc... I can only imagine what I would sound like after 3+ years of living with a person or people with a British accent and I only speak one language fluently~English (and about 50% fluent in Spanish).

With a fair amount of plastic surgeries on these shows, noses, boobs, vagina tightening, fillers, Botox, lip implants, full time stylists, I don't see the big deal in Dorit trying to maybe improve herself with adopting whatever speech pattern she displays.  It is hard for me to say someone is pretentious when there is so much that happens with this entire group with the surgery, fillers and implants and of course the second personality.  A fair amount of time the very enhancements these women subject themselves to often detract instead of enhance.  RINNA'S UPPER LIP springs to mind and obvious implants.

44 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

Being multilingual - you have to decode, translate, assemble your thought and translate and speak back - you pick up the 'habits' of the speakers around you.

I have know people who would lose their accents during arguments/stress or even watching sports.

It's no big deal, I'd rather listen to someone with a fake accent, than listen to a person with a fake personality?

There is also a fair amount of insincere speak on the show and with Eileen I rarely get a conversational feel from her it always seems like her acting voice.  It seems very practiced.  I just take Dorit as being malleable when it comes to speech.  Her fashion commentary voice to me seems like maybe she was in the American newscaster mode.   

I have experienced a fair number of friends who were raised speaking Spanish in the home and theire speech doesn't have a trace of an accent.  When I am around their family and friends their speech and choice of words changes dramatically.  I have never thought to call them out for faking a non accent when not around their families.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, AndySmith said:

Dorit isn't even picking the right accent from PK, though. His accent is much more working class than the posh upper-class accent she seems to be aiming for.

Dorit's accent is a jumble. It's sometimes posh-ish and sometimes sounds Cockney. 

Why doesn't anyone ever say anything about Erika not having a Southern accent? Didn't she grow up in the South? is she faking it too, or is she also a person whose accent is affected by her surroundings?

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Jel said:

Dorit's accent is a jumble. It's sometimes posh-ish and sometimes sounds Cockney. 

Why doesn't anyone ever say anything about Erika not having a Southern accent? Didn't she grow up in the South? is she faking it too, or is she also a person whose accent is affected by her surroundings?

Which Erika?

• Love 14
20 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

Only if we follow the logic that everyone is the same. As someone who has met and is related to many people who have traveled or lived overseas for some period of time and came back with some sort of hybrid accent, I find it challenging to understand why this is even a point of debate. The mystery around this debate makes it seem like our geography somehow makes us genetically inherit an accent. If you pick up not just colloquialisms but subconsciously (or consciously) begin to mirror the tones and inflections of the accents around you, your accent will change but it's unlikely that you're going to adapt to an accent just like the one you are consciously or subconsciously mimicking. She's surrounded by a husband who is British and a social circle that has many British (and other foreigners) so it's understandable that she hasn't removed herself long enough from hearing those cues to reverse them completely which is why she ends up with an accent that comes from nowhere and everywhere all at the same time.

Honest question - has Dorit denied ever having an accent? Because then I might believe she's done work to put on the accent so that people can see it as something exotic about her, lol.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 17

It never sounded cockney.

As you said, it is about the surroundings. Ericka isn't originally from the South and living in BH but speaking with a Chicago accent. Ericka sounds like someone who would be from BH, who lost their original accent after leaving home. I'd understand if Dorit had an accent that had an Italian flair to it, after living in Italy. But even a few years ago, she sounded American. She met PK while she was in the US, and has been living in the US ever since. Her going for a posh British accent makes no sense.

If only she did have a hybrid accent. And her accent from a few years ago wasn't a hybrid accent, and that was when she was actually living overseas.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Jel said:

And why does LVP still have an accent at all? Madonna has lived in London for years and developed a bit of a British accent (you can tell it's not a natural accent), would anyone call her phony to her face? Such a small thing to bugger over, haha.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, chewycandy said:

I think it was clear in the unseen footage we saw. Her mother made her do lots of things herself from a young age so she knew how to talk to people. That can be difficult for children.

That's why you allow them to do it.

• Love 8

Sometimes I have a horrible Long Island accent and sometimes I don't. It really does come and go depending on the moment/nervousness/anger/drunkeness etc. And I lived in Delaware for a while as a kid and bizarrely, that crazy accent sometimes shows up out of nowhere. Also growing up in a russian-speaking household does weird linguistic things to my speech occasionally. Shrug. We really like to pick apart every housewife detail don't we? Lol lol lol!

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 17
11 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

I do detect the coked up accent. It's the CantShuddyUp sounds - even LVP commented on her blathering.

Dorit probably got that (both the coke and the affectations) from PK.

Hopping to the corner now

• Love 5

I do detect the coked up accent. It's the CantShuddyUp sounds - even LVP commented on her blathering.

Dorit probably got that (both the coke and the affectations) from PK.

All washed down with a chug of Redbull flavored vodka, no doubt ;)

• Love 5
1 minute ago, RHJunkie said:

And why does LVP still have an accent at all? Madonna has lived in London for years and developed a bit of a British accent (you can tell it's not a natural accent), would anyone call her phony to her face? Such a small thing to bugger over, haha.

Amen & hallelujah to that! People need to "get over it!" lol! I wasn't brought up in the south, but every once in a while something comes out sounding like "Blanche Devereaux!" Like others have said, it comes from the surroundings! Between my mom, her grandmother, and the housekeeper; all from Montgomery, ALA, I'm sure it can't be helped at times! ;-)

• Love 12
38 minutes ago, Jamie Satyr said:

People wonder about the accent or "lack thereof," but all I wonder is why people care? As long as I've been alive, I've gotten more exercise out of SMH in bewilderment at how acceptable it is for the masses to question just about everything with everybody! Social media just puts it on a scale I wouldn't have fathomed as a child of the 60's! Some of us just like to keep it to ourselves I guess! ;-)

I mean seriously??!!??? So she's picked up a bit of her husbands accent...

My fiance is British and I've been with him 3 years and once in a while I find myself saying a word here and there unintentionally as i've heard him say it.  It usually tickles me cause it almost always catches me off guard and the shock of it coming from my mouth (complete with look of confusion) is usually comical to me.  I'm guessing once I'm 5-10 years in it won't continue to be worth any reaction in our home whatsoever.

What the hell is the big????

• Love 15