Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Inseparable

Shit, Norman actually turned himself in!

Thank God Dylan is alive -- for now. But dammit it got so close. He risked his life just by coming back. I get him feeling guilty about Norma's death. Some people feel that even a shitty mother is better than no mother. But he warned Norma repeatedly to get Norman help, and she didn't listen. That's on her. He did all he could do; he didn't owe her anything more. I know how cold that sounds, but Norma was not worth losing his own life over!

Don't know why Madeline is frantic over her rat husband who clearly didn't give a shit about her. 

So the doctor has been missing all this time! Norman hallucinated him two episodes back! Should have seen that coming!

Between Norman being so traumatized by his "first" murder and Mother's ruthless "no time for this emotional bullshit" attitude, I'm starting to wonder if maybe Mother was the one in control when he turned the gas on Norma. Maybe he really doesn't remember doing it.

Had to laugh at the Norman/Mother slapping scene. Stop hitting yourself!

• Love 13
(edited)

"I know you mean well.  You've always meant well."  It's actually a pretty good way to describe most characters on the show.

All through the Dylan scenes I was actually yelling at Dylan not to be so helpful.  It was only going to get him serial murdered.

The first half was a weird version of sad comedy.  Mother was acting like a hyper teenager.  But yes Norman considering how many people the two of you murder it's a good idea at least one of your personalities thinks about what to do with the bodies.

Norman it's don't do something stupid and confess to the police.  This is why you have Mother.  Although good idea getting rid of her body.  Even for the short run.

Is Mother Santa Clause? 

i was pretty sure for a second there Romero walked into a "Misery" situation.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

I was not expecting Norman to attach Dylan like that and for a minute I was terrified for Dylan. I am glad he got out okay, but Norman being locked up so soon is also surprising to me. Not sure what will be happening in the remaining episodes if he isn't free to go around being all crazy.

Very interesting that the doctor has been missing. I wonder if Norman had something to do with that? But also interesting that Norman hallucinated his doctor reminding him about how screwed up he is. That seems like a good sign that he is recognizing his own instability.

I can't remember, who else did they dump in the lake? The guy in the series premiere, but anyone else? I am pretty sure Bradley was dumped in a different lake, Emma's mom was buried in the hole in front of the hotel, and Chick burned Caleb. I feel like I'm forgetting someone.

• Love 1

I am going to need medication to get through the rest of this season. That was WAY to close of a call with Dylan. I was screaming at my TV "Run Dylan!" I was so relieved that Norman was able to stop "Mother".

Now, we all know that the movie ended with Norman being in lockup, so I am wondering how this is going to play out. Im glad that he turned himself in though.

Freddie continues to bring it!

• Love 12

I wonder what was going through Dylan's mind as he watched Norman and "Norma" fight on the kitchen table?

The doctor being dead? Didn't see it coming. That really got us! Did Norman sit at the café and talk to himself? Imagine the whole thing?

I'm thinking maybe Norman's crazy! ; )

• Love 18

Did not expect Norman to turn himself in. I have no clue where this is all going, and I love it. 

I was screaming at Dylan "Don't go in the kitchen with Norman. Don't you remember what has happened in that kitchen with Norman?"

• Love 5

Wow, I totally wasn't expecting that Norman's conversation with Dr. Edwards episodes ago was actually a hallucination and the real doctor has gone "missing."  Was he another victim of Norma's spree?  If so, I wonder when it happened.

Noticed Freddie Highmore was involved with the writing in this one again, which made me happy, since I loved the episode he wrote last season, "Unfaithful."  He really seems to be know how to write not only Norman's own mindset, but how he interacts with Norma and Dylan. Hopefully, when this is done, he not only continues to excel as an actor, but he gets into writing more, because I think he has a lot of talent and potential.

I was worried for Dylan pretty much every second he was back, but I was glad to see him and Norman reunite briefly.  Their relationship is so sad.  Dylan clearly loves Norman and wants to help him, and I truly think Norman feels the same way, but he is just so messed up, that he has to push him away, because if he doesn't, well.... we kind of saw what could happen!  Totally thought Dylan was a goner for a second, but I liked how they showed it was Norman preventing "Norma" from stabbing Dylan.  And now he is going to turn himself in for Sam's death.  He's still in there.... for now.

As usual, the show still finds ways to have hilarious dark humor in it.  Norma's casual reaction to cleaning up Sam's body was hilarious, and even Norman hiding Norma's actual corpse was strangely hilarious and creepy at the same time.

Finally check back in with Romero.  He seems to be healing now, and will likely be back on his revenge quest very soon.

• Love 16
(edited)

oof what an episode. I'm devastated for every character in the show. I am so glad they spared Dylan - I can't even begin to imagine what he must have been thinking during that kitchen sink.

Freddie has been absolutely fantastic this season and I love that he wrote this episode. Also Max Thieriot was great this episode. The scene of him breaking down in Norma's bedroom was heartbreaking. Max and Freddie have great sibling chemistry and their relationship has always been one of the more moving aspects of the show.

Edited by gingerhorsesnaps
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, mj2000 said:

I am going to need medication to get through the rest of this season. That was WAY to close of a call with Dylan. I was screaming at my TV "Run Dylan!" I was so relieved that Norman was able to stop "Mother".

My heart literally felt in my throat as I watched that scene. It was both terrifying and heartbreaking. Both actors were brilliant there  

I also never saw the doctor having gone missing and that scene with he and Norman being a hallucination coming. 

I really have no idea what's going to happen next. Well done, show. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I started watching this when it first aired, stopped during whichever season Dylan was messing around with that "drug lord" boss woman then binged the entire thing before season five aired because I heard it was veering into Psycho territory. 

This is easily the best decision I made in 2017. This show is amazing. The reveal that the good doctor was missing got me and I'm as cynical, as wary and as observant as most of you here. (Heh, isn't that why we are all on this site?)

Amazing. I forgive you show for that terrible awful plot line that made me quit you. But I'm back and we can both pretend those two things never happened.

PS. Don't die, Dylan! You grew on me!

Edited by kissedbyarose
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

My heart literally felt in my throat as I watched that scene. It was both terrifying and heartbreaking. Both actors were brilliant there  

I also never saw the doctor having gone missing and that scene with he and Norman being a hallucination coming. 

I really have no idea what's going to happen next. Well done, show. 

I have to give this show credit, I didn't see it going to where it went to tonight. They are going off the rails from the movie and you know, I like it. This story is best for "our" Norman. I didn't see the doctor having gone missing but you know, I could imagine that. I am sure the doctor pushed "Norma" too hard at one point.  I didn't see Norman turning himself in.  Is that how the rest of the season will play out?

Oh Dylan!!  I gasped when he got hit in the head though, objectively, it was obvious that "Norma" was going to kill him.  But he just sat there with his mouth agape at how serious the situation really was with Norman.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Living Dead said:

There's 8 episodes this season or 10 episodes? Because if Norman is going to jail, then that would mean that it's all over, right? Or does he find a way to escape jail?

It looked like there are 10.  But considering that means there are only 3 more hours in the show and there are several plot threads left that really isn't that many.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Thank God Dylan is alive -- for now. But dammit it got so close. He risked his life just by coming back. I get him feeling guilty about Norma's death. Some people feel that even a shitty mother is better than no mother. But he warned Norma repeatedly to get Norman help, and she didn't listen. That's on her. He did all he could do; he didn't owe her anything more. I know how cold that sounds, but Norma was not worth losing his own life over!

Don't know why Madeline is frantic over her rat husband who clearly didn't give a shit about her. 

So the doctor has been missing all this time! Norman hallucinated him two episodes back! Should have seen that coming!

Between Norman being so traumatized by his "first" murder and Mother's ruthless "no time for this emotional bullshit" attitude, I'm starting to wonder if maybe Mother was the one in control when he turned the gas on Norma. Maybe he really doesn't remember doing it.

There are two possible reasons he doesn't remember it, and I'm convinced he doesn't.  The first is that Mother did it.  The second is as was explained by one of his nurses.  She said people exposed to gas often have memory loss.  I've always assumed that was it because it seemed to me he was himself as he walked along closing the vents.

• Love 1

Another brilliant episode - I was so scared for Dylan- it's one of the things that amazes me about this show - that I actually feel fear for a television character.  The cast brings it...week after week after week.   And I can't say enough about Highmore - Emmy  - Emmy - Emmy!!!!

Glad to hear that everyone else is surprised the Doctor is missing - I thought I must have missed something. 

I said it last week and I'll say it again -  I have no clue where the writers are taking us but I'm loving the ride!

Loved when Norma asked Norman if he knew where the well was and he said something to the effect of he doesn't walk around thinking about places to hide bodies.  I like the little comedic touches and the wonderful chemistry between  Highmore and Vera.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I was not expecting Norman to attach Dylan like that and for a minute I was terrified for Dylan. I am glad he got out okay, but Norman being locked up so soon is also surprising to me. Not sure what will be happening in the remaining episodes if he isn't free to go around being all crazy.

Very interesting that the doctor has been missing. I wonder if Norman had something to do with that? But also interesting that Norman hallucinated his doctor reminding him about how screwed up he is. That seems like a good sign that he is recognizing his own instability.

I can't remember, who else did they dump in the lake? The guy in the series premiere, but anyone else? I am pretty sure Bradley was dumped in a different lake, Emma's mom was buried in the hole in front of the hotel, and Chick burned Caleb. I feel like I'm forgetting someone.

Dr. Edwards, maybe?  The specter of his death opens up the possibility that Norman has been killing during the show's hiatus.  There's no telling how many people are in that lake. 

I was shocked when he attacked Dylan.  But that whole scene was so powerful.  Those two men with so much love and pain between them, each sitting there with tears in their eyes, but for different reasons.  Dylan, freshly morning his mother, is aghast at how obviously ill his brother has become.  And Norman is scared, and pressured, and being pulled apart by guilt and his personalities.  That scene was brilliant, absolutely incredible.

And Highmore wrote it.

• Love 22

And the show opened with . . . the eye!  That unblinking, dead eye, with the shower going in the background.  Just like Janet Leigh's eye in "Psycho".  I was sad last week when we didn't see "the eye" - and now we have it.  Yet another nod to the brilliant work of the writer (Freddie!), the director, the producer and especially the camera.

• Love 12

If Cuse and Ehrin would take the easy way (like most show's do at the end), this final season would be just non-stop action. But no, the focus is still in the characters and the Bates family dynamics. And I can't appreciate them more for doing so. And I love it, that when they revealed Dr Edwards is missing, they didn't use over the top revelation score. It made it much more intriguing.

Now that there's still 3 more episodes and Norman just confessed for murder, all my speculations went out the window. The show just keeps surprising me and in a really, really good way.

When they said there's multiple bodies, I suspected there's Jim, Caleb (although severely burned, but still he could be there), Bradley and Bob (was his body ever found? And was it a lake or sea?). Maybe even Edwards now.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

It looked like there are 10.  But considering that means there are only 3 more hours in the show and there are several plot threads left that really isn't that many.  

The show was conceived as five seasons consisting of ten episodes each.  They have ten episodes this season.  

Was this one seven or eight?

The whole time Dylan was sitting at the kitchen table with Norman all I could think of was Mrs. Peacock in the scene from Clue where she insists, "You gotta go away or you'll be killed!"

Wow, just wow on poor Dr. Edwards. I really liked him.  Now I don't care if they give Norman the chair. It's his time to go down.  Incidentally, if Norman could imagine that whole conversation with the good doc, is it too much to hope for that he's hallucinated every scene he's had with Chick? Maybe that's why he really didn't get the money from the chop shop???

• Love 3
10 hours ago, sas616 said:

I swear, Freddie deserves the Emmy for Best Actor and Best Actress.  Though maybe it's a tie with Vera.  

It was creepy the way his body telegraphed the change from Norman to Mother.

And also, did anyone catch the way he emphasized "our" when he told Dylan, "I miss our mother"?  He knows the Mother he's created is really not like Norma. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Peanut6711 said:

Wow, just wow on poor Dr. Edwards. I really liked him.  Now I don't care if they give Norman the chair. It's his time to go down.  Incidentally, if Norman could imagine that whole conversation with the good doc, is it too much to hope for that he's hallucinated every scene he's had with Chick? Maybe that's why he really didn't get the money from the chop shop???

For me this raised the idea that the Sheriff is totally on to Norman for a lot longer that Norman has believed. She is just building her case.  I wonder now if she did get the DNA on that glass.  I would love for Chick to be a hallucination but I know Chick had scenes with other people out of Norman's presence so I don't think he is. I think he will write Psycho which is based on Norman but, of course, has a more sensational ending. 

I wonder what is going on with Norman. He seems to be having an awakening from "mother". First last week owning his own actions and this week fighting her off and calling the police to keep him from hurting Dylan.   I wonder if Dylan's genuine concern for him and the fact that he has a niece made Norman reach out with all he had for a real family and to break from "mother".  Could we possibly have a happy ending? 

• Love 4

Dylan has the best WTF? expression I've ever seen.  I had to laugh when he was watching Norman flopping around on the kitchen table, even though seconds before I was terrified for him.  I can also see the sheriff mentally saying to herself, "is this guy for real?" when she's watching Norman fidget around and badly lying.

It looks like this Norman is on a redemption path then?  I don't want to see him under lock and key the final three episodes, and I have the feeling Mother is going to get him off the hook or at least released for some more mayhem before the conclusion.  She's not done yet!

• Love 6

Dylan has the best WTF? expression I've ever seen.

He really does.

2 hours ago, Lostinthehouse said:

And the show opened with . . . the eye!  That unblinking, dead eye, with the shower going in the background.  Just like Janet Leigh's eye in "Psycho".  I was sad last week when we didn't see "the eye" - and now we have it.  Yet another nod to the brilliant work of the writer (Freddie!), the director, the producer and especially the camera.

Also the scene with the sheriff talking about Norman saying he hadn't had any guests for a while and then remembering a couple from the week before. It was almost verbatim the conversation Norman had with Arbo-Gast in the movie.

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Wow I too did not see it coming regarding Norman turning himself in for sams murder. I almost thought when he called he was going to say say for the murder of Dylan and that Dylan would be a goner in a minute.  There was a person a while back that was wondering if maybe Norman had murdered the psychiatrist and that idea was cancelled when we saw him. Well i guess that person was right. Ha ha they had us going with the scene with him and the psychiatrist talking. Nobody gave a thought that it was all in his mind. That was brilliant. I for one thought the scene was believable with him talking to the psychiatrist.

12 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

"I know you mean well.  You've always meant well."  It's actually a pretty good way to describe most characters on the show.

All through the Dylan scenes I was actually yelling at Dylan not to be so helpful.  It was only going to get him serial murdered.

The first half was a weird version of sad comedy.  Mother was acting like a hyper teenager.  But yes Norman considering how many people the two of you murder it's a good idea at least one of your personalities thinks about what to do with the bodies.

Norman it's don't do something stupid and confess to the police.  This is why you have Mother.  Although good idea getting rid of her body.  Even for the short run.

Is Mother Santa Clause? 

i was pretty sure for a second there Romero walked into a "Misery" situation.

Lol lol I was also thinking about Misery when she was talking to Romero when he was in bed.

Edited by Stringey
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Lol at your last like "I feel like i am forgetting someone".  The reason I find those words funny is because it sounds like what someone would say when they are remembering who they need to buy Christmas presents for or something ordinary like that. I don't know why it just gave me a laugh.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Dylan has the best WTF? expression I've ever seen.  I had to laugh when he was watching Norman flopping around on the kitchen table, even though seconds before I was terrified for him.  I can also see the sheriff mentally saying to herself, "is this guy for real?" when she's watching Norman fidget around and badly lying.

It looks like this Norman is on a redemption path then?  I don't want to see him under lock and key the final three episodes, and I have the feeling Mother is going to get him off the hook or at least released for some more mayhem before the conclusion.  She's not done yet!

I definitely think Mother is going to get him released somehow. I had the thought when Norman was fighting off Mother and calling the police that it might be one of the last times Norman is truly Norman. I feel like Mother is going to come back stronger than ever.

• Love 3

The hallucination scene between Norman and the doctor was really tricksey.  Completely out of the blue he hallucinated a chance meeting and a really uncomfortable conversation.  Odd.  I wonder whether he went into a coffee shop and held the conversation on his own, or if he just sat in the office and dreamed it up.

Mysteries upon mysteries.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, BooBear said:

For me this raised the idea that the Sheriff is totally on to Norman for a lot longer that Norman has believed. She is just building her case.  I wonder now if she did get the DNA on that glass.  I would love for Chick to be a hallucination but I know Chick had scenes with other people out of Norman's presence so I don't think he is. I think he will write Psycho which is based on Norman but, of course, has a more sensational ending. 

I wonder what is going on with Norman. He seems to be having an awakening from "mother". First last week owning his own actions and this week fighting her off and calling the police to keep him from hurting Dylan.   I wonder if Dylan's genuine concern for him and the fact that he has a niece made Norman reach out with all he had for a real family and to break from "mother".  Could we possibly have a happy ending? 

It's hard to speculate, and that's the brilliance of this show.  But, to your first point, Chick can die, too. Norman could discover his ulterior motives and he could just disappear.  I doubt there's anyone in the world who would look for Chick.

And as to the second, I don't think it's an awakening.  I think it's a battle for control.  And I think Norma will win.  According to the canon (from which I realize we have strayed), he was never completely Norman, but he was often only Mother.  

I'm not certain he's strong enough to survive without her.  Certainly he won't if he's sent to prison.  And if it's to a mental institution, it won't be a soft place like Pineview. 

In fact, we haven't seen Chick for awhile.  He might already be in the lake.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, smorbie said:

LOL Probably. Though I don't know what the introduction of Chick taking notes was for (of course perhaps it will end up providing proof that Norman was insane)

I don't know it almost feels like the show has done a 180 right turn and "Norman" is getting more powerful. It seems like his blackouts have stopped he is fully aware that HE is killing people and "mom" is his illness.  Then last night he took it one step further in fighting her off to stop her from killing. I have no doubt that she will come back hard but I feel like this is getting set up so Norman can finally face treatment and WANT treatment and that he will get help now because Norman is growing strong and wants to put an end to this insanity. The first step to that is becoming aware of the fact that you are sick. Something I don't think he has known for 5 years. 

I thought it was sweet that Norman as Norma told Dylan how proud of him she was. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, smorbie said:

The hallucination scene between Norman and the doctor was really tricksey.  Completely out of the blue he hallucinated a chance meeting and a really uncomfortable conversation.  Odd.  I wonder whether he went into a coffee shop and held the conversation on his own, or if he just sat in the office and dreamed it up.

Mysteries upon mysteries.

Yes, I thought that was quite an elaborate hallucination since Normal first spots Dr. Edwards crossing the street who then spots him (mimicking the Psycho scene). They do a double take and then meet for coffee.  Norman really should have his license revoked at this point if this is what's going on in his head while driving. ;-) 

1 hour ago, smorbie said:

It's hard to speculate, and that's the brilliance of this show.  But, to your first point, Chick can die, too. Norman could discover his ulterior motives and he could just disappear.  I doubt there's anyone in the world who would look for Chick.

That would be phenomenal if next week we see the bodies dragged from the lake and one of them is Chick's! I can see it now--some poor deputy has the onerous task of rooting through all the layers of clothes for ID.  Good thing Dylan's in town to help identify the bodies. 

49 minutes ago, BooBear said:

I thought it was sweet that Norman as Norma told Dylan how proud of him she was. 

But then "she" tries to kill him right afterwards! Not so sweet but very "Motherly."

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 1

It's not often shows surprise me so I give the show props for the Dr. Edwards twist. I definitely did not realize Norman or well Mother killed him and Norman imagined him a few episodes ago. Looking back on it, I should have been suspicious that the doctor would allow Norman to stop coming to him, knowing how sick Norman was. He only agreed to have Norman go home because Norman agreed to out patient therapy with him. Of course therapy isn't mandated unless it's court ordered and Norman wasn't court ordered. Still, it should have been suspicious that the doctor didn't check up on Norman in all that time, to at least ensure he was taking his meds. 

Good for Norman, allowing the last vestige of sanity he has to come out and stop Mother from killing Dylan. Very curious where this is going because I don't think the police will ignore someone calling saying they've murdered someone and he gave his full name and everything. The thing is, there has to be some big climax with Romero and Norman in jail will make that difficult since Romero being on the lam himself, the last place I'd think he'd go near is a prison. Btw, speaking of Romero, I had the thought that if Dylan does die, it'll be Romero who accidentally kills him, when trying to kill Norman. I can easily see Dylan dying trying to protect his brother.

This episode made it clear that Dylan doesn't hate Norman or think he's evil but truly believes his brother is just a very sick person who needs help. And because of that, no matter how sad he is himself about Norma's death, I can't see him letting Romero hurt Norman. 

This season just continues to kick it out of the park with every episode. I noticed Freddie wrote this one. He did a pretty good job. 

• Love 5
(edited)
53 minutes ago, BooBear said:

LOL Probably. Though I don't know what the introduction of Chick taking notes was for (of course perhaps it will end up providing proof that Norman was insane)

I don't know it almost feels like the show has done a 180 right turn and "Norman" is getting more powerful. It seems like his blackouts have stopped he is fully aware that HE is killing people and "mom" is his illness.  Then last night he took it one step further in fighting her off to stop her from killing. I have no doubt that she will come back hard but I feel like this is getting set up so Norman can finally face treatment and WANT treatment and that he will get help now because Norman is growing strong and wants to put an end to this insanity. The first step to that is becoming aware of the fact that you are sick. Something I don't think he has known for 5 years. 

This is a response to the last sentence. Actually i was a little surprised that mother said that and here is why. We known this personality is not Norma but "mother" who we know has characteristics of Norma but deviates from her. I view the  mother personality as kind of evil. Yes she can act sweet when she wants but look what she is capable of with no remorse. Anyway in my opinion it would have been easy to see mother starting off saying something nice to Dylan but then also something cruel and hurtful. I thought that was coming when Norman was speaking to Dylan as mother. Then again maybe even mother truly loves her children. Well no then she did try and kill him. Okay when I think about this deeper I think Mother was just buttering Dylan up with those kind words but did not mean them.

Edited by Stringey
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Good for Norman, allowing the last vestige of sanity he has to come out and stop Mother from killing Dylan. Very curious where this is going because I don't think the police will ignore someone calling saying they've murdered someone and he gave his full name and everything. The thing is, there has to be some big climax with Romero and Norman in jail will make that difficult since Romero being on the lam himself, the last place I'd think he'd go near is a prison. Btw, speaking of Romero, I had the thought that if Dylan does die, it'll be Romero who accidentally kills him, when trying to kill Norman. I can easily see Dylan dying trying to protect his brother.

This episode made it clear that Dylan doesn't hate Norman or think he's evil but truly believes his brother is just a very sick person who needs help. And because of that, no matter how sad he is himself about Norma's death, I can't see him letting Romero hurt Norman. 

I will be extremely pissed if Dylan takes a bullet for Norman or anything of the likes.  Dylan now has a wife and daughter so putting himself any further at risk or in danger would just be sheer stupidity on the part of his character. I've been a bit disappointed as is over the last few seasons by how much they've taken the spunk out of Dylan. I know from the first season that the actor can pull off so much more so I'm going to blame it on the writing or direction but I think we should see more self preservation on Dylan's part. He finally has a family of his own where he belongs and a wife who if suffered a set back from her transplant could leave their baby daughter an orphan should something also happen to Dylan. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

Yes, I thought that was quite an elaborate hallucination since Normal first spots Dr. Edwards crossing the street who then spots him (mimicking the Psycho scene). They do a double take and then meet for coffee.  Norman really should have his license revoked at this point if this is what's going on in his head while driving. ;-) 

He doesn't have a license.  He couldn't get one because of his blackouts.  And that hasn't changed as Mother pointed out in the premiere episode (I think it was).  He was off to a meeting of small business owners in town as an excuse to see Madeline and Mother tried to get him to walk because she needed the car to bury the hit man.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Stringey said:

This is a response to the last sentence. Actually i was a little surprised that mother said that and here is why. We known this personality is not Norma but "mother" who we know has characteristics of Norma but deviates from her. I view the  mother personality as kind of evil. Yes she can act sweet when she wants but look what she is capable of with no remorse. Anyway in my opinion it would have been easy to see mother starting off saying something nice to Dylan but then also something cruel and hurtful. I thought that was coming when Norman was speaking to Dylan as mother. Then again maybe even mother truly loves her children. Well no then she did try and kill him. Okay when I think about this deeper I think Mother was just buttering Dylan up with those kind words but did not mean them.

I think she did mean them.  But one of Mother's primary reasons for existence is to protect Norman at all costs.  That's what she was doing when she killed before.  Dylan represented a threat to Norman's safety and her existence, and so he had to go.

38 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

It's not often shows surprise me so I give the show props for the Dr. Edwards twist. I definitely did not realize Norman or well Mother killed him and Norman imagined him a few episodes ago. Looking back on it, I should have been suspicious that the doctor would allow Norman to stop coming to him, knowing how sick Norman was. He only agreed to have Norman go home because Norman agreed to out patient therapy with him. Of course therapy isn't mandated unless it's court ordered and Norman wasn't court ordered. Still, it should have been suspicious that the doctor didn't check up on Norman in all that time, to at least ensure he was taking his meds. 

This season just continues to kick it out of the park with every episode. I noticed Freddie wrote this one. He did a pretty good job. 

Dylan's love for Norman has always been one of the sweetest things about this show.  He doesn't show the normal jealousy of the unfavored child.  He hated Norma, whom I thought kind of got a raw deal there because it is hard to show love to a child who always pushes you away, but he really loved Norman.

Remember the first season when he rented an apartment to take Norman from Norma because Norman told him about Keith whatshisname?  And even last season when Dylan stormed away from Norma, he went to Norman and hugged him, begging him to commit himself again because he wasn't well.  Even after he moved to Seattle, he called Norman and gave him his new phone number so Norman could always reach him.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, BooBear said:

I have to give this show credit, I didn't see it going to where it went to tonight. They are going off the rails from the movie and you know, I like it. This story is best for "our" Norman. I didn't see the doctor having gone missing but you know, I could imagine that. I am sure the doctor pushed "Norma" too hard at one point.  I didn't see Norman turning himself in.  Is that how the rest of the season will play out?

Oh Dylan!!  I gasped when he got hit in the head though, objectively, it was obvious that "Norma" was going to kill him.  But he just sat there with his mouth agape at how serious the situation really was with Norman.

He was heartbroken over his brother.  And it broke my heart watching him and knowing that.

• Love 4

Long time lurker. I was so afraid for Dylan and still am. It was interesting to see Norman fighting Norma on the table without seeing her. I wish the show had more of that throughout this season. Finding out Norman didn't actually meet with his doctor was an unexpected surprise. I didn't see a preview for the next episode. I watch on the app so I am not sure if it just wasn't added or there won't be an episode next week. 

• Love 2

I've been a bit disappointed as is over the last few seasons by how much they've taken the spunk out of Dylan.

Me too. That scene in the first season when Dy;an went with some dude to go to work for the grow-op and the guards came out with guns drawn, Dylan didn't hesitate to whip out his own weapon as casually as you or I would whip out our phones. You could tell he'd been through some shit and could handle himself.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Peanut6711 said:

I will be extremely pissed if Dylan takes a bullet for Norman or anything of the likes.  Dylan now has a wife and daughter so putting himself any further at risk or in danger would just be sheer stupidity on the part of his character. I've been a bit disappointed as is over the last few seasons by how much they've taken the spunk out of Dylan. I know from the first season that the actor can pull off so much more so I'm going to blame it on the writing or direction but I think we should see more self preservation on Dylan's part. He finally has a family of his own where he belongs and a wife who if suffered a set back from her transplant could leave their baby daughter an orphan should something also happen to Dylan. 

I certainly don't want Dylan to die but YMMV, I think Dylan dying saving Norman would be very much in character for him, as tragic as it may be. And it has nothing to do with them taking his spunk away. As the other poster noted, very early after he showed up, the writers made it clear that Dylan really cared about Norman and thought Norma was the problem as a parent. And I wonder if on some level he still doesn't believe that she failed and her actions helped cause Norman to get as bad as he is.

Like I said, it's not something I want to happen but Romero is so single-minded in this revenge against Norman that I can very well see him accidentally killing Dylan who will never silently stand by and just let Romero kill his brother. I know that some want Norman murdered as his just comeuppance and maybe he will be. But considering what show this is, I just wouldn't be surprised if that's not the ending we get. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Like I said, it's not something I want to happen but Romero is so single-minded in this revenge against Norman that I can very well see him accidentally killing Dylan who will never silently stand by and just let Romero kill his brother. I know that some want Norman murdered as his just comeuppance and maybe he will be. But considering what show this is, I just wouldn't be surprised if that's not the ending we get. 

I think something tragic is on the way.  Norman created another monster in Romero, so one way or the other, people are going to die.

• Love 6

I'm also concerned that Dylan would take a bullet for him. 

I was surprised by the reveal about the doctor. I was waiting for "mother" to attack Dylan, but it still made me jump when it actually happened. I'm not shocked that Norman turned himself in: he's become more horrified with each episode, with what's finally becoming clear to him, and he almost killed his brother. 

The woman playing the sheriff, reminds me too much of an evil teacher I had in high school. It's off-putting, but not the actress' fault. I also think that she's been on to Norman for a while. I missed why they were dredging the lake - was it to look for that guy's car?

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I certainly don't want Dylan to die but YMMV, I think Dylan dying saving Norman would be very much in character for him, as tragic as it may be. And it has nothing to do with them taking his spunk away. As the other poster noted, very early after he showed up, the writers made it clear that Dylan really cared about Norman and thought Norma was the problem as a parent. And I wonder if on some level he still doesn't believe that she failed and her actions helped cause Norman to get as bad as he is.

I will be very surprised if Romero accidentally shoots Dylan. I don't think Romero is that bad of a shot for one, and two, it would serve no purpose other than tragic shock value.  Plus there's a difference between really caring about your half-brother and loving your wife and daughter enough to have a healthy sense of self preservation.  Dylan dying to protect Norman would be quite a fail in terms of characterization.  Plus after what Dylan saw with Norman fighting "Norma," Mother trying to kill him, and Norman admitting he killed Sam Loomis, I would hope Dylan is smart enough to know that Norman is too far gone for anything he could possibly do at this point.  

• Love 3

The woman playing the sheriff, reminds me too much of an evil teacher I had in high school

I don't know if we have covered this before, but she was Catherine Martin (the girl in the pit) in Silence of the Lambs.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know if we have covered this before, but she was Catherine Martin (the girl in the pit) in Silence of the Lambs.

She's been in a million things, including Weeds and Gray's Anatomy.

• Love 4