Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Inseparable

On 4/7/2017 at 5:43 AM, smorbie said:

Those are interesting thoughts.  I was too busy during the scene wondering where he got the wheelchair.

Most modern businesses purchase wheelchairs for the disabled *just in case* I can see them having it around for a guest that was disabled or couldn't walk well or was disabled during the stay. 

• Love 2
On 4/4/2017 at 2:42 PM, peacheslatour said:

I've been a bit disappointed as is over the last few seasons by how much they've taken the spunk out of Dylan.

I am impressed with the growth and maturing of Dylan.  What some see as "spunk" in the first season Dylan, I just saw as a type of gangster bravado.  He was a dead-end kid turning to crime as an easy out with no responsibility to anyone but himself, and grew into a caring son/brother/boyfriend/husband/father.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

I am impressed with the growth and maturing of Dylan.  What some see as "spunk" in the first season Dylan, I just saw as a type of gangster bravado.  He was a dead-end kid turning to crime as an easy out with no responsibility to anyone but himself, and grew into a caring son/brother/boyfriend/husband/father.

I went back and watched the first few episodes and I think Dylan's spunk was bravado so that he could try to claim Norma and Norman didn't mean anything to him.  I do feel like he has matured, which of course, makes sense as his family needs him more.  His gangster bravado just wasn't him, which I think was shown by how uninterested he was in the girl gangster types that he met, including Bradley.   

I think a motel might have a wheelchair. If a guest broke their leg on a hike or something it might be necessary and welcome. 

• Love 3

When i watched last episode again on my bigger screen tv i was able to make out that meal better than when watched it on the smaller one from further away. Wow those are some  giant pieces of garlic bread. It looks like it was in sheet form and you are meant to cut it into pieces for many people. I thought it was weird because i have only seen garlic bread where you buy it in a loaf and slice it into small pieces or where you by it out of the frozen food department and heat it up. I was able to make out apples, some kind of salad, little potatoes(I think) and some kind of pasta on their plates. No meat lol.

3 hours ago, Stringey said:

When i watched last episode again on my bigger screen tv i was able to make out that meal better than when watched it on the smaller one from further away. 

I watched it on my computer and I was surprised to see that during the final confrontation Norman was crying and had a tear down his face before Mother took over. Dylan had tears in his eyes when he was begging Norman to take the pills. 

• Love 3

Norman finding out about all the murders Mother killed was so enlightening. It's great to see his psyche breaking down a bit to the point where he's retaining some of the things that he's done as Mother. This also changes Mother, in a way. She's become more panicked and more sloppy because Norman's different.

I think Norman turning down Mother's option to "take over" is foreshadowing him eventually giving in and accepting both sides of himself, and that really worries me. At least for now, he's really trying to separate himself from his alter ego. I think that helps keep Norman sympathetic.  

Dylan returning home does worry me, but it needed to happen. I think Norman being almost completely honest about not seeing his doctor and not taking his meds allowed Dylan to really come to terms with Norman's illness. I think Dylan should just head back to Seattle before he gets killed, but I can also understand that he wants to help Norman and wants to stay. It hurts to see Dylan in grief over Norma. Knowing that he will never get closure with her again is hard on anyone who's lost someone, but having a closure scene at the end? It added another layer to the tragedy.

The weird thing is that while Mother is willing to kill Dylan, I truly believe that Norma would have never actively tried to kill Dylan (at least, in my opinion; I can't recall a time when she considered killing Dylan). I don't think Norman would ever understand the small amount of love she did have for Dylan, so it was so interesting to see Norman interpret the Norma/Dylan relationship in that way. 

Man, Dylan/Norman/Norma kitchen scenes are always intense. Dylan/Norman/Mother kitchen scenes? Even worse. But they are always my favourite scenes, whenever Norman/Dylan or Norma/Dylan get to interact. It's why I've missed Dylan around, even though I know he's at risk if he's there. That last scene was so intense, and the fear in Dylan's eyes were so real, especially after Norman confirmed that he was a killer. Now, I think he'll start finding out about all the people he's killed and it won't be pretty. I think he's keeping Emma and Katie far, far away from Norman now. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Norman finding out about all the murders Mother killed was so enlightening. It's great to see his psyche breaking down a bit to the point where he's retaining some of the things that he's done as Mother. This also changes Mother, in a way. She's become more panicked and more sloppy because Norman's different.

I think Norman turning down Mother's option to "take over" is foreshadowing him eventually giving in and accepting both sides of himself, and that really worries me. At least for now, he's really trying to separate himself from his alter ego. I think that helps keep Norman sympathetic.  

Dylan returning home does worry me, but it needed to happen. I think Norman being almost completely honest about not seeing his doctor and not taking his meds allowed Dylan to really come to terms with Norman's illness. I think Dylan should just head back to Seattle before he gets killed, but I can also understand that he wants to help Norman and wants to stay. It hurts to see Dylan in grief over Norma. Knowing that he will never get closure with her again is hard on anyone who's lost someone, but having a closure scene at the end? It added another layer to the tragedy.

The weird thing is that while Mother is willing to kill Dylan, I truly believe that Norma would have never actively tried to kill Dylan (at least, in my opinion; I can't recall a time when she considered killing Dylan). I don't think Norman would ever understand the small amount of love she did have for Dylan, so it was so interesting to see Norman interpret the Norma/Dylan relationship in that way. 

Man, Dylan/Norman/Norma kitchen scenes are always intense. Dylan/Norman/Mother kitchen scenes? Even worse. But they are always my favourite scenes, whenever Norman/Dylan or Norma/Dylan get to interact. It's why I've missed Dylan around, even though I know he's at risk if he's there. That last scene was so intense, and the fear in Dylan's eyes were so real, especially after Norman confirmed that he was a killer. Now, I think he'll start finding out about all the people he's killed and it won't be pretty. I think he's keeping Emma and Katie far, far away from Norman now. 

I agree I don't think there is any way Norma would have thought about killing dylan but Mother will kill when she needs to. I was about to say even her own son but Dylan is not Mothers son he is Normas. Although... when it comes down to it isn't Mother just a twisted version of Norman  bates well more like thoughts and feelings that are a part of him but he would never dare consciously act upon?? Well until recently with Sam.  This later ego of Norman that has taken on a life of its own has just manifested itself as a twisted version of a fantasy Norma. So... maybe even mother has some love for Dylan but will still act for self preservation.  When mother was trying to stab Dylan I could almost hear her yelling " I'll be damned if you are going to kill me by getting norman to take his medication". Also I agree that the actor Max Thierot(is that his name) did a excellent job during this episode and kitchen scene. The whole thing about being in the kitchen and seeing his brother go crazy right before his eyes was conveyed in his eyes. It seemed so realistic how a person would be acting watching a loved one break down before them. And his eyes widening after Norman confessed to the murder of Sam Loomis was great. 

• Love 1

Once my husband became seriously ill at a 6 Flags, and the management not only instantly produced a wheelchair, but also pretty much insisted that he use it... for liability reasons, I imagine. He was embarrassed and really wanted to try to walk under his own power, but ultimately, we understood their position.

• Love 1

The kitchen scene between Norma, Dylan, and Mother might be one of my new favorite scenes in the show, maybe of the TV season so far. Just the way that Dylan's expression kept changing as he saw just how sick his brother has become, and his increasing horror at what has happened here, to Norman desperately trying to hold on to being Norman, and finally changing completely into Mother and attacking him, only for Norman to fight "her" off. Just so damn intense, with minimal violence, and everything scary being the in build up, the performances, and what we the audience knows that Dylan doesn't. Its like what Hitchcock himself said about suspense, that great suspense is showing the audience a bomb under a table while the characters are sitting at it, and the audience knows its there, but the characters don't. Here, Mother is the bomb, and Dylan had no idea what he was sitting down to at that table.

As others have said, I really hope that Freddie (and everyone in the cast) gets lots of great acting work after this, but I also hope that he considers doing some more writing as well. He has a real knack for character and suspense building.

• Love 3
(edited)

Dylan has known for awhile that Norman "turned" into Norma right? I seem to remember a scene where Norman/Norma cooked for him. If he was aware, how could he possibly leave Norma alone with Norman? He clearly understood just how truly sick Norman was. I know he had a falling out with his family over Norman's treatment, but honestly, Norman is dangerously insane!

20 hours ago, Stringey said:

When mother was trying to stab Dylan I could almost hear her yelling " I'll be damned if you are going to kill me by getting norman to take his medication".

This is a perfect description of what went on in this scene!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 3

Norman desperately trying to hold on to being Norman

Oh god, that was just heartbreaking.

2 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

Dylan has known for awhile that Norman "turned" into Norma right? I seem to remember a scene where Norman/Norma cooked for him. If he was aware, how could he possibly leave Norma alone with Norman? He clearly understood just how truly sick Norman was. I know he had a falling out with his family over Norman's treatment, but honestly, Norman is dangerously insane!

This is a very good point. Maybe he knew Norman was sick, but he didn't know he had killed anyone. Crazy but not dangerous to Norma?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh god, that was just heartbreaking.

This is a very good point. Maybe he knew Norman was sick, but he didn't know he had killed anyone. Crazy but not dangerous to Norma?

You're right, I think the shoe dropped for him when he found out Norman's doctor had died. His determination to help Norman was heartbreaking, but he was crazy to try to convince Norman to go back on his meds all alone. At that point I think I would have been scared shitless.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mick Lady said:

You're right, I think the shoe dropped for him when he found out Norman's doctor had died. His determination to help Norman was heartbreaking, but he was crazy to try to convince Norman to go back on his meds all alone. At that point I think I would have been scared shitless.

Dylan is an interesting character. He's almost insanely brave. Remember that scene a couple of seasons back when he ran in front of a moving car to shoot at some bad guys and he got hit and then there was the time he and Caleb did that job for Chick that went terribly wrong? He never backs away from danger, he tends to run headfirst into it.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

He didn't know the full extent of Norman's madness. Yes, there was the moment when Norma stormed out on them, after finding out Dylan had been spending time with Caleb, where Dylan walked in on Norman in the kitchen, clearly believing he was Norma. And he did tell Norma about it when she came back and again said Norman needed help. But of course, Norma downplayed the whole thing. But keep in mind that leading up to Dylan's leaving, Norman did eventually go to a mental hospital and was taking medication. So I do think Dylan believed or maybe he wanted to believe that while yes, Norman was sick, he was being treated for his illness. And Norma was harsh to him and insisted she had things under control. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Dylan is an interesting character. He's almost insanely brave. Remember that scene a couple of seasons back when he ran in front of a moving car to shoot at some bad guys and he got hit and then there was the time he and Caleb did that job for Chick that went terribly wrong? He never backs away from danger, he tends to run headfirst into it.

He is fascinating! Confronting this family mess is far different than risking his own life. I understand why he washed his hands of the whole drama, but why didn't he at least check in on Norma? I'll have to go back and watch the fight when he left. I'm thinking he had no idea Norman was so far gone. On the other hand, I can also understand why he believed Norman would never hurt Norma!

11 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

He didn't know the full extent of Norman's madness. Yes, there was the moment when Norma stormed out on them, after finding out Dylan had been spending time with Caleb, where Dylan walked in on Norman in the kitchen, clearly believing he was Norma. And he did tell Norma about it when she came back and again said Norman needed help. But of course, Norma downplayed the whole thing. But keep in mind that leading up to Dylan's leaving, Norman did eventually go to a mental hospital and was taking medication. So I do think Dylan believed or maybe he wanted to believe that while yes, Norman was sick, he was being treated for his illness. And Norma was harsh to him and insisted she had things under control. 

As I said above, I now get why he left. I forgot he told Norma about Norman's "transformation", so thanks for jolting my memory! I think you're right about Dylan "believing what he wanted to believe." He had a whole new life ahead of him, and immersing himself in the whole Norman/Norma drama would have prevented him from having it.

Now he has to keep his family away from WPB, but I'm afraid Emma is going to want to join him, she really loved Norma! Has Dylan told he how crazy Norman is? Does she know, or suspect who really killed her Mom?

5 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

Has Dylan told he how crazy Norman is? Does she know, or suspect who really killed her Mom?

Yes, he did. That's what prompted her to check up on the motel, which caused her to find out Norma was dead. Emma was trying to convince Dylan that enough time had passed and maybe it was time to put whatever happened between him and Norma behind him. He snapped at her to let it go and then later admitted why he really left and his fears about how sick Norman was. He told her his suspicions about Norman murdering her mom and later, she found out Norma was dead and told him.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yes, he did. That's what prompted her to check up on the motel, which caused her to find out Norma was dead. Emma was trying to convince Dylan that enough time had passed and maybe it was time to put whatever happened between him and Norma behind him. He snapped at her to let it go and then later admitted why he really left and his fears about how sick Norman was. He told her his suspicions about Norman murdering her mom and later, she found out Norma was dead and told him.

Thank you truthaboutluv! I don't remember Dylan telling Emma his suspicions. I remember the earing, but not Dylan coming clean. Maybe she will be wise enough to stay away. I certainly hope so!

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Max Thieriot reminds me of a young Steve McQueen.

OMG, you are so right! It's almost spooky!

I can't wait for tonight's episode!!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 3
On 4/9/2017 at 10:32 PM, Stringey said:

I agree I don't think there is any way Norma would have thought about killing dylan but Mother will kill when she needs to. I was about to say even her own son but Dylan is not Mothers son he is Normas. Although... when it comes down to it isn't Mother just a twisted version of Norman  bates well more like thoughts and feelings that are a part of him but he would never dare consciously act upon?? Well until recently with Sam.  This later ego of Norman that has taken on a life of its own has just manifested itself as a twisted version of a fantasy Norma. So... maybe even mother has some love for Dylan but will still act for self preservation.  When mother was trying to stab Dylan I could almost hear her yelling " I'll be damned if you are going to kill me by getting norman to take his medication". Also I agree that the actor Max Thierot(is that his name) did a excellent job during this episode and kitchen scene. The whole thing about being in the kitchen and seeing his brother go crazy right before his eyes was conveyed in his eyes. It seemed so realistic how a person would be acting watching a loved one break down before them. And his eyes widening after Norman confessed to the murder of Sam Loomis was great. 

He's the most underrated actor on the series, I think.  True, Vera, Norman, and Romero have had more chances to strut their stuff, but Dylan has held his own with them, and that's not easy to do.

All that said, while I was reading how great everyone thought he was, all I could think about was the mock audition, link on the Bates Motel media page.  He sent in an audition tape and took his shirt off and the casting guys said, "he's hired!".  Seriously, anyone who hasn't watched that needs to go do so right now.  It's truly fun.

• Love 4

Just watching the season now and finally posting because Dylan lived! He lived! He lived! He lived! Mother tried to kill him and Norman saved him because they really do love each other and Dylan just went on to Norman about how he wanted to protect him. Good Norman.

Please keep living, Dylan. Three more eps. You can do it.

S5 E6 - Norman in the kitchen with mother: "In that way, I am mad. But the world is full of mad people who function, many of whom are heads of state."

It is brilliantly inserted by the writers of the plot.  - Who the f*** did he mean...?

Finally catching up on this season, and I have to say that as much as I loved the kitchen scene, my very favorite part came at the beginning. I first saw Psycho when I was about 15, and starting to get very environmentally conscious. I have waited 30+ years for someone to turn off the damn water in the shower scene!! The fact that it was Norma who noticed it unnerved me a bit, and watching her step over the body in her maid uniform to reach the faucet made me laugh out loud, but it was so damn satisfying. The waste of water has always been my biggest beef with the movie. 

And now I'm going to go and IMDB every actor on this series, and watch everything else they have ever been in. Because my god, the acting is just so superb. 

• Love 1