Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 3/27/2017

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday: Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin ("Grace & Frankie"); "View Your Deal" with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday: George Lopez ("Lopez")

Wednesday: Katie Holmes ("The Kennedys: After Camelot")

Thursday: Day of Hot Topics

Friday: Alex Rodriguez guest co-hosts on Guy Day Friday; Katey Sagal (author, "Grace Notes: My Recollections")

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but, I have no problem with United Airline for having standards for their free flyers.  If you have a problem with it, pay for the flight.  

yes, part of the airline's response was this: 

The two girls were United Airlines "pass riders," defined by the company as "United employees or their eligible dependents standing by on a space-available basis." 

There is a separate dress code for pass riders, unrelated to United Airlines previous citations of the "Contract of Carriage," that remains "internal policy" and will not be released, according to a statement made to NBC's Colorado affiliate

Makes sense to me.  Employees and their families are representing the airline, and are expected to dress up a bit more. 

It would be outrageous if these were paying passengers, but as pass riders, maybe the airline has a point.

• Love 12

But does anyone know they are pass riders?  I'm not saying the airline doesn't have a right to enforce the policy, but it's not like a family is carrying signs saying "we represent United."

Jed was insufferable today with the discussion about journalism vs opinion segments, and her insistence that Fox people publicly denied the birther crap.

• Love 7

I thought today’s show was one of their better ones. I loved the whole first segment with the 4/5 of the panel laying into Fox News for being a propaganda machine rather than a news source. Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda are wonderful. I keep meaning to watch their show, but I haven't got to it yet.

I'm so glad that Sunny brought up the issue that we're coming dangerously close to state-run news with Trump conspiring with Pirro's show to put out the message he wants heard. Although that's not at all surprising considering other things he's done since being in office the past two months in regards to the media, it's still terrifying.

• Love 17
15 minutes ago, Haleth said:

But does anyone know they are pass riders?  I'm not saying the airline doesn't have a right to enforce the policy, but it's not like a family is carrying signs saying "we represent United."

the complaint was made by another passenger who observed the family, who didn't know they were pass riders.  But it doesn't matter, really.  If you and your employer (United)  have an agreement that you and your family can fly for free, but there are certain rules, then follow the rules to get your freebies.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I'm pretty sure that they had documents indicating that they were pass riders, from the article I'd read on The Washington Post. That was how/why they were able to refuse them to board I think.  At the same time, one girl, who happened to have a dress in her pack, was able to throw that on, and presto! she was now "dressed appropriately" to board as a pass rider. Huh? That would look tacky-a dress over leggings. I just need to know and see more. But I'm erring on the side of the airlines, since it is written that those that are riders are held to a dress code that they must abide by. Now, if this were applied to paying passengers, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Jed was insufferable today with the discussion about journalism vs opinion segments, and her insistence that Fox people publicly denied the birther crap.

With all due respect, I don't think it matters if other flyers knew they were pass riders.  The policy is that the pass riders are not to wear leggings, so, to me, the choice is to follow a very minor rule or pay for the flight.  I guess I'm too old to understand why nothing can be asked of anyone.  To me it's a matter of personal accountability.  Following a rule isn't that hard if you want a free flight.  

• Love 17
29 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

At the same time, one girl, who happened to have a dress in her pack, was able to throw that on, and presto! she was now "dressed appropriately" to board as a pass rider. Huh? That would look tacky-a dress over leggings.

NO, that's totally a look -  think knit dress, or full skirt,  over tights.  Only leggings are more like tights without the foot portion.

Not knowing the particulars,  I have seen some pre-teens and teens wearing leggings where it's like they're wearing tights instead of pants. 

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, backformore said:

NO, that's totally a look -  think knit dress, or full skirt,  over tights.  Only leggings are more like tights without the foot portion.

Not knowing the particulars,  I have seen some pre-teens and teens wearing leggings where it's like they're wearing tights instead of pants. 

I think I knew that. But the way the Airline's statement mentioned "dressed appropriately" and "more dressed up" I took that to mean, more formally, you know? So I guess the leggings were so tight they looked like...tights?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, backformore said:

the complaint was made by another passenger who observed the family, who didn't know they were pass riders.

People need to mind their own damn business. 

• Love 6

My brother-in-law works for an airline, and when he and my sister traveled on the airline on employee passes, he had to wear a suit and she had to wear a dress.  I asked my sister about it today and she doesn't know if it still applies.

What a surprise, leave it up to Jedi to defend Fox.

• Love 7

How ridiculous was Whoopi today shoeing her 6xxx size baseball shirt over leggings as APPROPRIATE?  She's a slob. 

I'm a teacher, and middle and high school girls were leggings as pants everyday.  So explicitly revealing of shape,  even though they are opaque --the leggings,  and now that i think abt it,  the girls too. I can't believe it's not againstthe dress code.  Hopefully, this trend will pass, although i remember back in high school in 1968 when jeans came out, ( and we cd  wear slacks or jeans to school  finally),  and one girl told me her dad wouldn't let her wear them cuz they were too revealing.  Ages ago. God. Remember panty hose? Or garters. Talk abt discomfort.  

Dresses or long tops covering the butt look cute with leggings.  

I just bought some jeggings yesterday, but they look like tight jeans. But they are one size larger than i usually wear,  so as not too be skin tight.  

• Love 7

Leggings are meant to be worn under longer shirts. Or casual dresses.   You can dress them up or dress them down. The issue with this particular story is the airlines policy.   Not whether leggings are appropriate attire.

• Love 3

I worked for a major airline years ago. The dress restrictions were very strict for employees flying on a pass, especially if you wanted to fly First Class. We were also told not to brag about being an employee and flying for free while we sat next to full fare passengers. I may have wanted to wear comfortable jeans, but the rules were spelled out and I respected them. In return for being able to fly all over the world, often in First Class, that was a small price to pay. United had every right to deny boarding to those girls, and it's too bad social media has made such a big production out of it. (And don't get me started on dress codes for kids in school - I wish they still had had some stricter ones for that!)

Edited to add that males flying on passes have restrictions on what they can wear too, Sunny. That remark she made about the restrictions applying unfairly to women and trying to make it a sexist matter was wrong, and I'm surprised that she made it.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 18

I was a travel agent for 30 years and we were always expected to dress professionally. Employees and those that benefit from free or discounted passes should set an example for the company, imo. No big deal, or even the need to buy a new outfit to fly. Paying passengers - no problem. Once I had a first (free) class roundtrip ticket and dressed appropriately and as I waited I noticed all these guys during a layover skidding up to check in - in shorts, tees, flip flops. No problem except I was bumped back to coach as they were all serious frequent flyers and had upgraded, or were upgraded at check in. As they should have been. 

I was stranded in Puerto Vallarta once on a pass for 3 days, and couldn't get out. Then was bumped in LA on a layover and had to overnight. Yikers! But put in perspective I had dozens and dozens and dozens of trips world wide and that benefit was a privilege, not a right. And I followed the rules. And rolled with them.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but, I have no problem with United Airline for having standards for their free flyers.  If you have a problem with it, pay for the flight.  

Exactly.  They have a choice. Give up the leggings or pay full price. It's a really easy decision for most people, I would think.

• Love 12

Maggiemae, I enjoyed your post. I was so fortunate to work in the airline industry when it was easier to fly stand by, since flights were not as jammed packed as they are now. I have some harrowing stand by experiences, but like you, I think it was a great privilege to be able to travel the world for free or for a tiny fee. I'll always be grateful for that. Anyone who whines about a dress code who is flying on a pass gets no sympathy from me.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Kenz said:

Edited to add that males flying on passes have restrictions on what they can wear too, Sunny. That remark she made about the restrictions applying unfairly to women and trying to make it a sexist matter was wrong, and I'm surprised that she made it.

I was sorry someone in Production didn't provide some info (via earpiece) like, "We gave you ONLY the rules for females.  There ARE rules for men too."

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Tosia said:

Hopefully, this trend will pass, although i remember back in high school in 1968 when jeans came out,

Oops!  Perhaps the wording is wrong?    "Jeans are trousers, a type of garment, typically made from denim or dungaree cloth. Often the term 'jeans' refers to a particular style of pants, called 'blue jeans,' which were invented by Jacob W. Davis in partnership with Levi Strauss & Co. in 1871 and patented by Jacob W. Davis and Levi Strauss on May 20, 1873." 

Although girls couldn't wear them to school (1946-54), every kid I knew wore Levi's...but we're in the west.  We knew someone was a visitor if she said, "Blue jeans."

• Love 3

Good grief - I was about 10, iirc, when I wore them. Especially with sweat shirts and kids in different colors......about 60 years ago. LOL. But yep - not allowed at school until college. ETA and cutoffs too!

Still wear them......

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 3

Jed was pissing me off today, and I was glad to see Whoopi get so annoyed with her about the whole Fox News thing.  Joy did get in one good point - about the connection between trump and FoxNews.   Trump tweets in support of that station, he repeats "news"  that he heard from them, and FoxNews, in turn, gives him positive coverage.

ETA - during one of the breaks, after discussing ObamaCare and the republicans obstructing Obama, I noticed, Whoopi and Sunny turned to each other to talk, Sarah turned to Joy, they were chatting, and Jed smirked to herself and drank her coffee/tea.  She seems to be disliked by the rest of them. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Good show today except for the insufferable Jedi.  Can't someone---anyone---go first on the comments just once.  And please, no more man Friday!

Yes I can almost feel Jedi grab me in a vise when she wants to make her insufferable points. She is so practiced, trying to break into and minimize the applause that Whoopi or Sunny or Joy get for their more liberal opinions. And I get sick of hearing about her dippy sex life, which she feels is so hot.

• Love 10

Jedi--she with the dead eyes--put her “Deeply ConcernedButNotReally” hat on again today. Naturally she was as condescending as possible during the Russia discussion. I liked Joy countering her nonsense argument that environmental regulations should be a states issue with the fact that one state's wind and water doesn't stay only within that state. And I'm glad she and Whoopi both hammered home that corporations absolutely do not care about how the average person may be affected by the pollution they pump out.

Sunny again had the best moment of the day by pointing out Trump was concerned about pollution/climate change when it comes to himself and his own property, but he wouldn't protect the rest of the country. 

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Oops!  Perhaps the wording is wrong?    "Jeans are trousers, a type of garment, typically made from denim or dungaree cloth. Often the term 'jeans' refers to a particular style of pants, called 'blue jeans,' which were invented by Jacob W. Davis in partnership with Levi Strauss & Co. in 1871 and patented by Jacob W. Davis and Levi Strauss on May 20, 1873." 

Although girls couldn't wear them to school (1946-54), every kid I knew wore Levi's...but we're in the west.  We knew someone was a visitor if she said, "Blue jeans."

Thanks former nun and maggiemae.....for the clarification abt the origin of jeans.  I meant that  slacks were finally allowed at the public high school that I attended, and in 1960's, jeans were becoming THE pants to wear for females and males--all the time it seemed like. 

Now it's activewear, or leggings or yoga pants.

I remember David Sedaris' book abt living in France, Me Talk Pretty One Day, where he hears that Americans don't have much style,  comparably,  and when traveling,  dress like they're going to mow somebody's lawn.  

• Love 7
13 hours ago, P3pp3rb1rd said:

She is so practiced, trying to break into and minimize the applause that Whoopi or Sunny or Joy get for their more liberal opinions. And I get sick of hearing about her dippy sex life, which she feels is so hot.

And WHY if she was on FOX News so many times...isn't she still there????  Not blonde enough?

• Love 9

Whoopi was wrong when she said "You won't be bored when you watch The View." Granted, some parts are entertaining, informative and frustrating, and not boring, but the infomercials are definitely boring. Wish they would cut that out. 

• Love 11

Not to be snarky, but did Jed make a wrong turn on to the set of the View? It looked like she was headed to an evening summer soiree on a rooftop terrace. 

• Love 8

I'm amazed at how much hate anyone seems to get that offers a Conservative viewpoint.  First it was Elisabeth, then it was Paula, then Candace and now it's Jedediah.  It's like people just have to hate them because they have a different opinion.  I'm a liberal but I'm able to listen to what each lady had/has to say.  It's okay to disagree with them but why all the hate on top of hate.  Every lady that served that purpose for the show seemed like actually good people.  None of them seem like the pompous and sometimes insufferable Glen Beck, Bill Reilly and Rush Limbaugh.  Even as horrible as they can be, I don't lose my cool when I hear them talk.  But I guess this is what politics does to a lot of people.   

• Love 8

Going back to the airline pass 'controversy'.

I am fortunate enough to have a great friend who worked for Eastern back in the day.

I could not get a pass as just a friend, but if I booked on her plane and DRESSED NICELY! ( and I really knew what that meant), the cabin crew would give me some perks if they could - granted fewer passengers in those days so tempers were under control.

I want to emphasize that I DID NOT get a pass, but I still had to dress well to get a few perks.  I was so happy to do so.

And now?  I would wear a fur coat to get a decent seat - in the summer :)

Just sayin'

• Love 7
11 hours ago, A.J. said:

I'm amazed at how much hate anyone seems to get that offers a Conservative viewpoint.  First it was Elisabeth, then it was Paula, then Candace and now it's Jedediah.  It's like people just have to hate them because they have a different opinion.  I'm a liberal but I'm able to listen to what each lady had/has to say.  It's okay to disagree with them but why all the hate on top of hate.  Every lady that served that purpose for the show seemed like actually good people.  None of them seem like the pompous and sometimes insufferable Glen Beck, Bill Reilly and Rush Limbaugh.  Even as horrible as they can be, I don't lose my cool when I hear them talk.  But I guess this is what politics does to a lot of people.   

Jedi is ok to me. Years ago I stopped watching the view due to the cross talking and Elizabeth.  JMHO it was not because of her views but the way she presented them.  Always felt she was talking down to people if they disagreed with her.  Have members of my family who are conservative the ones who talk down and treat you like you know nothing are the ones we don't talk politics.   

Off topic a bit. When we have talked about this subject at work. Many of the young high school employees told me when someone talks down to them they shut down.  If your going to come out swinging people put up the hands to protect themselves or hit back. No one is listening to each other   When I mentioned this to a family member I believe I was called a snowflake. 

• Love 2

I feel ashamed whenever The View is where I first hear a story, but I really hadn't read anything about the bill rolling back Internet privacy before they brought it up. I was off in another room because usually the show does fluff nonsense in the second half, and suddenly they come back from commercial talking about it and in the next room listening to it I couldn't help feeling like I've stepped into some alternate dimension. I envy celebrities who can just up and leave the country as they please; the U.S. is a terrifying place to be right now. I can't even imagine what kind of hellverse we'll be listening to on The View come October 2020.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

Katie Holmes has really big ears.  Yes.  I'm guilty of ear shaming!  Discuss.

In our family, that's not shaming.  Most of us have small ears that are close to our heads.  Those are TOOLS!  The bigger the better!  The more they stick out, the more they can HEAR!   I think the same of big hands and big feet.  They're tools, people (and maybe I am too).   I didn't come to those decisions quickly.  I was raised hearing people making fun of big ears (especially if they stuck out), feet, and hands.  It took me decades to realize why we have these body parts...and smaller ain't better!   End of my sermon.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I don't notice that it's exactly the "Conservative viewpoint" people have a problem with.  It's generally the delivery.  Elisabeth was so righteous in her demeanor, lifestyle, beliefs and presentation--only she alone (and her God and her mentor, Bill Geddie) knew what was going on in America and we needed to be educated.   For me, Paula's presentation was just right and I'm happy every time she can be on the show.  Jedidiah...that's another story:  Look at me-me-me! I'm the sexiest gal in the world!  I'm in the know.  I have the connections.  I, and I alone can speak against the Democrats (because that is what she does). Jedidiah's personality is too self-aggrandizing and annoying.  So...I see no hate.    AND...this isn't the website for kudooz (trademark Ramona of RHONY) and compliments.  It started as "Television Without Pity," a place for snark-snark-snark.  We are contractually obligated to criticize and gripe!

I agree with a lot of this. I think a lot of it is how Jedidiah carries herself. The other hosts walk out and wave to the crowd. She walks out leading the pack acting like she's the star of the show and dancing to the music like she's in a club. She's more argumentative than the other conservatives, as if she has to have the first and last word. The other thing is that she seems like she's speaking her mind more and has more education compared to Elisabeth who seems to have been getting her info from an earpiece. She also seems like she's trying to be the cute hip one compared to the other hosts, even though she and Sara are almost the same age. 

• Love 9

I have to agree that it's all about how a person articulates their views, conservative or liberal.  Elisabeth came across as an immature twit who was  just repeating something she heard grown ups talking about.  If you confronted  her on what she was saying she rarely had a rebuttal that wasn't more talking points.  I'm guessing she didn't do well in debate class in school.  Jedi comes across as an obnoxious know it all.    She thinks having the first and/or loudest word makes it more valid than what other people are saying.  On the flip side Rosie O could speak her views without losing her shit but I always thought the potential was there for her to lose her temper.  If that split screen with EH way back when had kept going on she might have.  Joy on the other hand I think delivers her point of view the best.  She usually has the facts to back up what she says and brings a degree of compassion and understanding to most topics.

Now if we are talking about conservative pundits, commentators, analysts, whatever,  not on the View I have yet to see one that doesn't present themselves as a mean vicious sorry excuse for a human being.  Amy Holmes, might be the exception.

• Love 13

It is a tough job being the conservative on this show, but I think Ana Navarro would be great. She's smart and funny. (She can't stand Trump too, and she's not afraid to sound off about him.) 

• Love 14
17 hours ago, A.J. said:

I agree with you about everyone except Elizabeth. She had Bill talk into her ear to tell her what to say and she didn't come off as such a nice person IMO.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kenz said:

It is a tough job being the conservative on this show, but I think Ana Navarro would be great.

Exactly, it's not the philosophy, it's the messenger.  AN would be a great addition to the show.  The reasons I don't like Jediblahblah is she's pompous, she's argumentative, she's condescending, and the worst of all, she brings every conversation to a dead stop.  She's awful TV.

Ana Navarro has a great sense of humor, something Jed sorely lacks.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 14
17 hours ago, A.J. said:

Agree. I like hearing what all have to say.  Except Whoopi, who thinks she is the smartest one there and loves to have the last word.  Except she then goes on and on, so I guess I should have said last sentences.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I don't notice that it's exactly the "Conservative viewpoint" people have a problem with.  It's generally the delivery.  Elisabeth was so righteous in her demeanor, lifestyle, beliefs and presentation--only she alone (and her God and her mentor, Bill Geddie) knew what was going on in America and we needed to be educated.   For me, Paula's presentation was just right and I'm happy every time she can be on the show.  Jedidiah...that's another story:  Look at me-me-me! I'm the sexiest gal in the world!  I'm in the know.  I have the connections.  I, and I alone can speak against the Democrats (because that is what she does). Jedidiah's personality is too self-aggrandizing and annoying.

YES -  When others are speaking, Jed interrupts and talks over them.  When she isn't talking, she gives an exaggerated smirk, shakes her head, rolls her eyes, etc, to indicate to the audience that the person speaking is WRONG.  She has not use for others' opinions, she won't even give them the courtesy of listening to what they say before shaking her head no.

• Love 11

Always felt she was talking down to people if they disagreed with her.

Many of the young high school employees told me when someone talks down to them they shut down.

I've never felt this about Liz.  I will say that sometimes she may have come off a bit uninformed and sometimes a little naive or sheltered because of your age and background.  Speaking to the point of shutting down when a persons talks condescendingly towards you is quite understandable.  I do that all the time.  I'm not going to waste my time or deal with you if that's the tone/attitude you have towards me.  I've seen that done with Whoopi more than anyone.  And just a bit with Sunny. 

I don't notice that it's exactly the "Conservative viewpoint" people have a problem with.  It's generally the delivery.

So was there a problem with everyone's delivery except for Ana and Nicolle?  I don't quite buy that as you can go to any message board and the conservative panelist always has the most hate. 

Elisabeth who seems to have been getting her info from an earpiece.

Where did this come from?  People have been saying this for years.  I never felt that way. 

Now if we are talking about conservative pundits, commentators, analysts, whatever, not on the View I have yet to see one that doesn't present themselves as a mean vicious sorry excuse for a human being. 

People like Ann Coulter, Jeanine Pirro, Mike Huckabee, Meghan McCain and John McCain don't come across to me as mean and vicious.  I may not agree with a lot of what they say, but I don't get the feeling that they are bad people.  I think Ann Coulter just says stuff to get a rise out of people. 

Jediblahblah is she's pompous, she's argumentative, she's condescending, and the worst of all, she brings every conversation to a dead stop.  She's awful TV.

That sounds more like Whoopi more than anyone.  I like Whoopi a lot but she can be unbearable at times. 

• Love 2

I don't think Sunny did herself any favors with her fellow cohosts today or the audience when she went off on what makes her "professional" (not her blown out hair, thank you very much). She mentioned her degrees, her work experience, but then went a little too far when she said she was the first to arrive and the last to leave for this "damn job." Condescending, arrogant much? 

• Love 4