Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Chapter Eight: The Outsiders

• Start Topic

Archie seems to have a case of Dawson syndrome. He's really a jerk for a good portion of these episodes.

All of these parents are terrible. Except for Fred, Harmione, and Kevin's dad. And Alice did right by Polly tonight, but god. 

I don't trust the Blossoms at all. I feel like they're going to take that baby away from her the second she gives birth.

Betty and Jughead continue to be adorable. 

• Love 9

Oh, dick move, Archie! FP being a Serpent was not your thing to tell others!

3 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don't trust the Blossoms at all. I feel like they're going to take that baby away from her the second she gives birth

If they attempted to cut out the baby in next week's episode, would anyone really be all that surprised?

• Love 17
Just now, Last Time Lord said:

Oh, dick move, Archie! FP being a Serpent was not your thing to tell others!

If they attempted to cut out the baby in next week's episode, would anyone really be all that surprised?

Right?!?! Archie is the worst! Like really. He really is Dawson Lerry of Riverdale! Ugh. And also yeah I'm picturing the Blossoms spooky house on haunted hill and getting ready to extract the baby (babies? Thanks Gradma Blossom!) from asap!

• Love 7

I love Betty and Jughead so much. They're so sweet and pure and supportive of each other. I am going to be very very upset when they inevitably break up.

There was far too much Archie in this episode for my liking, I find his scenes drag on a little for me. It's nice that he was looking out for Fred but jeez he was kinda a douche to Jughead at the baby shower. 

Polly is an idiot. Mama Cooper might be crazy but in comparison to the Blossoms and she's positively warm and fuzzy. Plus at least at the Coopers Polly would have Betty watching her back. It was interesting to see another side of Alice, I'm intrigued about Hal/Alice and their history. The Coopers are my favourite family on the show, I just find them fascinating. 

• Love 12

Oh, Riverdale, how I've missed your wonderful campiness these last three weeks.

They've been getting Archie more involved in the main plot, which is good for the character, even if it also means he's a bit abrasive at points (drama!).  The early episodes let him down by not letting him be a dynamic character, whereas here he does get to propel the story forward.  I also thought the scene with his father talking about his dad's legacy (and that Archie doesn't think he's better than Fred, or whatever, which has been a recurring stress point) was genuinely moving character stuff.

Damn, Polly, talk about leaving your mother hanging after she went quite a ways for you.  Though she shut you up in an institution, so, yeah, I can see where you're at.

"Nana has dementia, and Gypsy blood."

• Love 10

Hell with just cutting out the baby. Would anyone be surprised if next week we see Polly tied down with the elder Blossoms (including grandma) performing some kind of Satanic ritual to induce birth?

Always one step forward two steps back with Archie. Think for a minute man before you do things. Oh and stop with the damn looks in regards to Betty and Jughead.

Fred showing up at Thornhill to confront Clifford and then the following scene back at the construction site were probably the most Dylan Mckay that Luke Perry has played Fred this entire time.

'Well in Riverdale they say Alice Cooper's small heart grew three sizes that day.' Nice to see Alice not be so one note this episode. Her conversation with Hal was definitely interesting and wish we got more details. The more I see of all the parents the more I want to know their history.

The remixes of old songs and how they are using them are killing me. The use of Our House during the beginning of the baby shower was hysterical.

Liked the little history of Jason and Polly at the beginning of the episode and still no lines for Jason. Though after hearing the actor on a podcast, somehow the voice doesn't match what I imagined he would sound like.

This was definitely a heavy Archie and Fred episode so not much of Jughead/Betty and Veronica but still they were great.

Edited by ybrik
  • Love 12

First of all Polly is a moron. DONT TRUST THE BLOSSOMS!! Wasn't Cheryl telling Polly not to trust her parents what the hell happened?  I guess they are trying to say Hal is Worse than Alice now. I wonder what Alice is Capable of and where they really saying Hal made her abort a Child? Wonder who the father was? Nice Dick move there Archie confronting Jughead at a Baby shower. On a Shallow Note Veronica and Cheryl with their cleavage was distracting and a bit too sexy for a Baby shower. Nice that Alice was actually there for Polly though I can't wrap my head around how The Blossoms are safer than her Childhood home. 

On the Bughead/Jetty/Betthead front they are so adorable and the light bathing them when kissing after talking to FP reminded me this is a Greg Berlanti creation and Olicity and Westallen were bathed with light Dammit I have hope they are the OTP/Endgame. And lastly FUCK YOU Jaquin for what you are doing to Kevin!! 

• Love 2

Really, Archie's wrong but not Jughead? They're both acting pretty similar to me. Jughead is a 16? year old kid who loves his dad and is trying to stand by him and be loyal. Archie is a 16? year old kid who loves his dad and is trying to stand by him and be loyal. Jughead in the past has thought that Fred is being unfair to his dad and defends him and from his point of view and what he knows I can get that. Archie thinks that the serpents are sabotaging his dad's livelihood and everything he has worked for and when he goes to confront the gang (stupid, but he's a teenager) finds out that his best friends dad is part if the group he thinks is hurting his dad and I get that. From his point of view and what he knows he see's a guy who is an alcoholic, pretty shitty husband and father (Mama jughead did abandon her oldest to leave him and the guy apparently was the worse alternative compared to living in a drivein and a school), I get that he's shocked, pissed and hurt. Quite frankly, they are both acting exactly what I would expect in a 16 year old boy who is trying to defend the one actual parent they have.

And Polly is an idiot for choosing the probably sociopathic Blossoms over her crazy mom.

Edited by callie lee 29
addition
  • Love 12

Okay! Well! So Kevin and Joaquin are dating to the point where Kevin's friends are cool knowing he's going out with a Serpent? I certainly am glad that was dispensed with in a couple of lines of dialogue instead of giving Kevin any kind of storyline.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, ybrik said:

The more I see of all the parents the more I want to know their history.

There has to be a flashback episode in the works for season 2 right? All their feuds and romances are just begging to be explored. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

And lastly FUCK YOU Jaquin for what you are doing to Kevin!! 

On this point, was this Jaquin's first appearance since he was introduced? I was a little surprised that Archie said he was Kevin's boyfriend, because I just do not remember him being there, otherwise

• Love 3

That look on Mama Blossoms face when shutting the door had me fully convinced that yes Polly you are a moron 

On this point, was this Jaquin's first appearance since he was introduced? I was a little surprised that Archie said he was Kevin's boyfriend, because I just do not remember him being there, otherwise

It was only his second apperance 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, dippydee said:

There has to be a flashback episode in the works for season 2 right? All their feuds and romances are just begging to be explored. 

Agreed that the Parents are interesting and we Need a episode in season 2 with their backstories! Heck maybe they get KJ Lili Camilla and Cole to play Fred Alice Hermoine and FP in the flashbacks 

• Love 7

Man, those Cooper girls need to work on their trust issues - as in trusting people they have no business trusting.  The Blossoms are shady as all get out, and while we saw a bit of a softer side of Alice tonight, I believe her when she implies that she genuinely thought shipping Polly off to a creepy convent was the best way to love and support her, and that shouldn't be brushed away lightly.  I'm not as surprised to see that naivete from Polly, but I thought Betty was more wise to her parents by now.  I guess the effects of being raised by those two run deep and it's hard to stay completely guarded.  (Side note:  Blossom fashion was on-point as always.  Penelope's red dress at the shower was gorgeous, and I love that she was wearing black gloves with it.)

I also shouldn't be surprised that Archie announced to everyone that Jughead's dad was a Serpent.  As we learned last episode, even when Archie is trying to help Jughead, he can't help stop himself from telling Jughead's secrets (Jughead:  "You can't tell anyone (that I'm homeless.)"  Archie:  "Of course not - I promise."  (Two scenes later) Archie:  "So I told my dad...")  It was more understandable there, since being a homeless teenager is one of those things you really should get help with even if you say you can handle it on your own, but Archie was seriously out of line here.  While I get that being mad makes you do ill-advised things, you couldn't take five seconds to pull him into the kitchen and have it out in private? 

Betty and Jughead are still wonderful together - I liked them joking with each other at the baby shower, and that kiss at the trailer park was beautiful.  Interesting that Betty didn't actually say whether she believed FP.  I'm not psyched about a probably-inevitable break-up on any front, but at least a major difference of opinion on the investigation/family drama would be a preferable route to love triangle issues rearing their ugly head (Archie can keep his jealous looks to himself.)  They could possibly go down that road.

So Joaquin is using Kevin to get to Sheriff Keller, ouch.  I wish we'd gotten to see more of their South Side Story romance before that reveal, but it looks like Joaquin is feeling conflicted, so not all hope is lost yet.

• Love 8

Well, that's disappointing. I would have rather liked to see some forbidden romance courtship.

Yeah they just reveal that Jaquin is playing him cause he's the Sheriffs son. Though we have hope that Jaquin isn't thrilled and genuinely likes Kevin 

• Love 2

Archie, I love you, but damn, son! Letting yourself into someone else's home, walking through the shower to get to Jughead and confronting him right there, dropping the truth stink bomb only to walk out was wrong. And hilarious. 

Having said that I appreciate you having your dad's back no less than 3 times this episode and embracing his livelihood as part of your legacy.

Jughead, I get you not wanting to out your dad, but not cool letting Archie walk into that scene and hoping he wouldn't run across your dad. And hilarious how when Archie asked for help, he was like no dice, but when Betty was like 'let's ask about Jason for Polly' and Jughead couldn't get over to his dad's fast enough.

Loved Alice and Hermione bonding time. It really was like looking at Betty and Veronica in 30 years.

Loved Alice stepping up to Mama Blossom. Again, between her anger, past trauma, and vulnerability, Betty is looking at her future self if she isn't careful.  

Loved Fred stepping up to Daddy Blossom. It was a great extension of the old bad blood and class wars that have taken over the town.

Is FP playing at being the town drunk? He did say he has a role to play. Maybe he's playing a long con and/or not only a Serpent but working with the Feds or something. 

Still poor Fred. Between FP and Hermione he is surrounded by shady people. And his desperation in allowing FP and his gang to work for him is so gonna bite him in the ass.

Madchen, Marisol, Skeet, and Luke Perry are so great in these roles. The parents are very compelling on their own. And calling it now -Alice and Fred are totally gonna get together before it's all over. 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, angora said:

Man, those Cooper girls need to work on their trust issues - as in trusting people they have no business trusting.  The Blossoms are shady as all get out, and while we saw a bit of a softer side of Alice tonight, I believe her when she implies that she genuinely thought shipping Polly off to a creepy convent was the best way to love and support her, and that shouldn't be brushed away lightly.  I'm not as surprised to see that naivete from Polly, but I thought Betty was more wise to her parents by now.  I guess the effects of being raised by those two run deep and it's hard to stay completely guarded.  (Side note:  Blossom fashion was on-point as always.  Penelope's red dress at the shower was gorgeous, and I love that she was wearing black gloves with it.)

I also shouldn't be surprised that Archie announced to everyone that Jughead's dad was a Serpent.  As we learned last episode, even when Archie is trying to help Jughead, he can't help stop himself from telling Jughead's secrets (Jughead:  "You can't tell anyone (that I'm homeless.)"  Archie:  "Of course not - I promise."  (Two scenes later) Archie:  "So I told my dad...")  It was more understandable there, since being a homeless teenager is one of those things you really should get help with even if you say you can handle it on your own, but Archie was seriously out of line here.  While I get that being mad makes you do ill-advised things, you couldn't take five seconds to pull him into the kitchen and have it out in private? 

Betty and Jughead are still wonderful together - I liked them joking with each other at the baby shower, and that kiss at the trailer park was beautiful.  Interesting that Betty didn't actually say whether she believed FP.  I'm not psyched about a probably-inevitable break-up on any front, but at least a major difference of opinion on the investigation/family drama would be a preferable route to love triangle issues rearing their ugly head (Archie can keep his jealous looks to himself.)  They could possibly go down that road.

So Joaquin is using Kevin to get to Sheriff Keller, ouch.  I wish we'd gotten to see more of their South Side Story romance before that reveal, but it looks like Joaquin is feeling conflicted, so not all hope is lost yet.

I don't know I took her saying that she believed Jughead as since he believed his dad so did she. She trusts Jugheads judgement. Though I have a fear Jughead might keep something from her again, something Major for some dumbass reason and they will break up and she goes to Mr fickle Archie cause she's hurting. Speaking of Archie him saying Jughead was like his brother the way he did makes me think they are setting up for Archie to pull a dick move with Betty soon. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Heck maybe they get KJ Lili Camilla and Cole to play Fred Alice Hermoine and FP in the flashbacks 

I'm torn between wanting this and wanting the parent actors play the high school versions of themselves. I can only imagine how much fun Madchen Amick and Luke Perry would be playing teens. 

35 minutes ago, angora said:

but I thought Betty was more wise to her parents by now.  I guess the effects of being raised by those two run deep and it's hard to stay completely guarded

Alice might be a awful parent but i think it does come from a place of love. She's done some terrible things (at this point I'm convinced she's probably killed someone, just not Jason) but she seems to love her kids at least so I can see why Betty would be inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt. Also Betty is a sweetheart who seems like she wants to believe the best of everyone more often than not.

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 2

Though I have a fear Jughead might keep something from her again, something Major for some dumbass reason and they will break up and she goes to Mr fickle Archie cause she's hurting.

I can see that, especially with that scene of her tellling him if they're going to be together they have to trust each other and tell each other things. It might be something about Jason and Polly. I thought it was interesting that this episode didn't just have Jughead's narration as a voiceover but they also showed a shot of him watching Jason and Polly at Pop's.

It may not mean anything but I definitely thought that was interesting. And a lie or omission about something to do with Polly would definitely be enough to get Betty mad enough to break up with him. Well let's hope it's not for awhile because they are adorable together.

Okay are we meant to think Jason was totally creepy or like a vampire? Because why is every flash back of him so freaking weird? It's why I have hard time buying this Polly and Jason supposed forbidden romance and instead just think he was weird and Polly's totally on the path to crazy town.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I can see that, especially with that scene of her tellling him if they're going to be together they have to trust each other and tell each other things. It might be something about Jason and Polly. I thought it was interesting that this episode didn't just have Jughead's narration as a voiceover but they also showed a shit of him watching Jason and Polly at Pop's.

It may not mean anything but I definitely thought that was interesting. And a lie or omission about something to do with Polly would definitely be enough to get Betty mad enough to break up with him. Well let's hope it's not for awhile because they are adorable together.

Okay are we meant to think Jason was totally creepy or like a vampire? Because why is every flash back of him so freaking weird? It's why I have hard time buying this Polly and Jason supposed forbidden romance and instead just think he was weird and Polly's totally on the path to crazy town.

Yeah Jason always looks so strange. But also he was part of the football player book, wasn't he? I thought I remembered Jason's name and Pollys next to each other and that's why betty  all dark Betty.

I hate that the show is going to ruin Betty and Jughead, even as I know it's happening and I've fallen so in love with the ship. Ugh. Teen dramas are painful.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Has Polly really not received any pre-natal care or an ultrasound to know if she was carrying one baby or two? 

Well, she was locked in a retro asylum until pretty recently.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah Jason always looks so strange. But also he was part of the football player book, wasn't he? I thought I remembered Jason's name and Pollys next to each other and that's why betty  all dark Betty.

I hate that the show is going to ruin Betty and Jughead, even as I know it's happening and I've fallen so in love with the ship. Ugh. Teen dramas are painful.

Like I've said in a earlier post and I'm surprised I didn't think about until it happened. I've been worrying about Betty/Jughead ending cause of them having Betty cheat on Jughhead with Archie while I didn't think that like on Other Berlanti shows secrets being kept for stupid ass reasons would end them. Then Betty gives the "If we are going to be together I wanna KNOW You". Now I'm worried Jughead will fuck up and hide something big from her cause it would devaste Betty then she finds out cue big fight, breakup, then of Course Archie will be there for her. I really want Bughead as OTP especially after the Kiss and Trademark Light bathing the couple like in other shows produced by GB

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

And are they not allowed to actually say the word abortion on this show? Or is that suppose to be a throwback to the time of the original comics when it would not have been mentioned?

That was super-annoying, but whatever. I wouldn't be shocked if it was the CW-mandated, but then again, this show is going for a weird throwback 1950's vibe to it.

• Love 3

The best thing about this episode was Madchen Amick. GREAT scene when she confronted her douchebag husband. WHAT A CREEP. 

45 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if it was the CW-mandated, but then again, this show is going for a weird throwback 1950's vibe to it.

Did they use the word abortion on Jane the Virgin a few weeks ago when Xo had an abortion? I know she actually had an abortion. But now I'm blanking on whether or not they used the word. 

Betty and Jughead are cute and he's a great boyfriend for being at the baby shower. But I feel like we are constantly skipping stuff with them. Shouldn't Betty feel at least a little weird about her boyfriend being the best friend to her longtime crush? 

Maybe I should be grateful since TV pregnancies tend to be crazy over-the-top, but it appears Polly's only pregnancy symptom is a small bump. She has no swelling anywhere else (my feet and fingers were hilariously swollen in my second pregnancy). She looks perfectly put together, perfect hair and makeup and apparently went to a high-end maternity store for her perfect clothing. 

• Love 2

Last episode, I wRote that I like that in each episode a different character really grabs my attention.  This week the honor goes to Alice.  madChen is awesome.   

Mega points to the poster that mentioned Rosemary baby.  Polly should stay with veronica.  The blossoms really have the  xfiles vibe of a family consorting with darkness.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

And did the size of the baby bump change several times during the course of the episode?

And are they not allowed to actually say the word abortion on this show? Or is that suppose to be a throwback to the time of the original comics when it would not have been mentioned?

The baby bump (or lack thereof) was one of the main things i noticed about Polly this episode.  Throughout the bulk of it she was barely showing - and yet when she was at the asylum her pregnancy was VERY noticeable.  (For obvious storytelling reasons, they needed it to be obvious in that reveal scene).  I actually kept wondering if i was missing something like if she lost the baby or something but everyone's dialogue was indicating yes she's having a baby!  Then finally during the baby shower it was like they remembered,  "Oh yes, Polly should have her baby bump!"

Whatever the reason it actually seemed pretty much on-point for the characters involved to not actually say the word.  Both the Coopers and Blossoms seem to have the type of personalities/backgrounds where the "a" word is crass and not to be actually directly used in conversation.

• Love 2

I wanna believe so bad that Jughead and Betty are endgame after getting the bathed in light treatment that Oliver/Felicity and Barry/Iris from Arrow and The Flash got. Two other Greg Berlanti creations for any one who may not watch those shows but watch this one. They are so Damn adorable. I wanna have hope that while they probably won't be together the whole Series cause God forbid Couples can't be stable episcally on The CW they will be together at the end . That being said, I'm not confident at all that they will be 

• Love 5

Great episode.  And yes the Blossoms have made a deal with the devil at one point or another.

Who wears a letterman jacket while going to a biker bar?  Archie!  That's who.  

Alice Cooper may be crazy but she actually loves her kids.  Who'd have thunk it?

There were a lot of stories about legacies in this episode.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Has Polly really not received any pre-natal care or an ultrasound to know if she was carrying one baby or two? Or, were we suppose to accept that Grandma was crazy and didn't know what she was talking about?

I mean Mr. Cooper offered to take her to a doctor and everyone was absolutely abhorred, so I'm guessing no.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was the CW-mandated, but then again, this show is going for a weird throwback 1950's vibe to it.

Paula had an abortion on Crazy Ex Girlfriend last season, and the word "abortion" was definitely used. But since no one watches Crazy Ex Girlfriend, the CW probably let it slide.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jay741982 said:

I wanna believe so bad that Jughead and Betty are endgame after getting the bathed in light treatment that Oliver/Felicity and Barry/Iris from Arrow and The Flash got. Two other Greg Berlanti creations for any one who may not watch those shows but watch this one. They are so Damn adorable. I wanna have hope that while they probably won't be together the whole Series cause God forbid Couples can't be stable episcally on The CW they will be together at the end . That being said, I'm not confident at all that they will be 

I loved the bathed-in-light kiss.  I don't watch Arrow and haven't gotten to this season of The Flash, so I'm not up on Berlanti-show kissing quirks, but I thought it was perfect for what was happening.  It's like, there they were outside the home Jughead no longer lives in after questioning his alcoholic gang member father about the murder of Betty's sister's fiancee, and in the midst of all that ugliness, there's them.  I can't speak to the other Berlanti couples, but Betty and Jughead, at least, could use a little light right now, and I'm glad they have each other.

• Love 14

This is my quota of the teen fantasy (well until Pretty Little Liars) genre.  I am waaaaay to old for this kind of show but I do like how dark and creepy it is.  Dark and creepy is my jam.  

I loved the scene when Alice confronted her husband about all the shit that went down with Polly.  I actually felt sorry for her when Polly chose to live with The Blossoms (who are so going to give her up in some sort of blood sacrifice).   There are two possibilities.  One is that Polly knows exactly what she is doing and is looking into Jason's murder.  The other is she is deeply naive. I do get why she didn't go home.  Her parents did send her away.  She is on fight or flight mode.  She made a bad choice but she is protecting her child.

i do t care about any of the romances.  Romances on these shows bore me to tears.

Edited by Chaos Theory
10 hours ago, angora said:

I really WANT to care about this, because I want Kevin to be an actual character with a trait other than "gay," but I have absolutely no investment in this honey trap situation since I haven't seen anything about the development of this relationship or how Kevin feels about Joaquin or anything else. I don't think Joaquin's name was even spoken this episode. If it were a movie, I'd say a whole subplot got cut.

48 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

I Kinda Lol'ed at Jughead wearing a Tank top while the others had two layers on. I was like are they trying to sell Jughead as studly? Where's Betty to appreciate the View?

Hey now, that boy has fine arms.

• Love 6

Polly joining The Blossoms at Thornhill was like a deleted scene from Rosemary's Baby.

Where is Mia Farrow with a Scrabble game when you need her?  Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy Riverdale, I just feel like the writing staff is divided between straight laced teen drama fanatics and the campiest gay men ever to grace network television, so you end up with a show that has a very boring main character and his crazy friends.     

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 7

Archie, oh Archie *facepalm*.  I know I'm supposed to like you since you're the protagonist, but you make it so difficult.  I get that you want to help your dad, but the way you go about doing it is stupid.  Also, way to be a dick to your 'bro' Jughead.  You had to storm into the baby shower to confront him about his dad being a Serpent, instead of, I don't know...pulling him aside discreetly and quietly asking him about it when the two of you were alone?  Isn't that what Jughead did when he found out about you and Ms. Grundy?  

Is Archie deliberately being this way because he's jealous of Jughead being with Betty?  Because we keep seeing all these looks that Archie throws them every time someone mentions the two of them and their togetherness.  I'm wondering if some part of it is to cast a negative light on Jughead in Betty's eyes.  Whatever the case, cut it out Ginger Judas.  I like Jughead and Betty's relationship and don't want to see drama for the sake of drama or THE love triangle (A/B/V) since it doesn't make sense in this iteration of Riverdale.  The triangle was mildly explored in the pilot episode and that's all I need to see of it.

Polly...you in danger girl.  Why in the world would you trust the Blossoms, let alone go to live with them?  Especially since Alice toned down the crazy and seemed like she was ready to finally be supportive of you.  

9 hours ago, Sonoma said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that FP may not be "bad" (anymore) and is putting on an act for whatever reason.  Informant?  

I'm also very interested to see what's going on with FP.  He cleans up nice (if you consider 'cleaning up' to be sober and throw on his Serpent jacket, which I guess I do, rawrrr).  Juggie looks good too, for that matter.  Hello, tank top!

Edited by scorp01
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, maxineofarc said:

I really WANT to care about this, because I want Kevin to be an actual character with a trait other than "gay," but I have absolutely no investment in this honey trap situation since I haven't seen anything about the development of this relationship or how Kevin feels about Joaquin or anything else. I don't think Joaquin's name was even spoken this episode. If it were a movie, I'd say a whole subplot got cut.

Hey now, that boy has fine arms.

Hey now I didn't mean he's ugly. Just that he's the only one showing off his arms LOL. Like I said where was Betty to give her "WHOA" look when she saw him in the suit for Jason's funeral. 

The problem is, going back to the original triangle that is Betty/Archie/Veronica doesn't make sense right now. And the show doesn't have to. I understand that the source material has that triangle but the show can be a different thing, so if the show goes back to that triangle it doesn't name sense in the context of this show. Veronica hasn't shown any romantic interest in Archie really since episode 2. But then again Veronica has hardly gotten any sort of a story, she seems mostly there to prep up other people's stories.

In the beginning of this show, Archie was just a boring dud but now he's crossed over to jerk territory. I have a bad feeling about the inevitable Betty and Jughead breakup. I'm still holding out hope the show surprises me but who knows.

• Love 4

Archie is supposed to die in this, right? Because let's be real, EVERYONE is here for Jughead.

This episode was a bit of a miss for me.

Why is Cheryl for Polly moving in now? Wasn't Cheryl the deciding factor in Polly going to Veronica's in the first place? Why does Polly want to go there at all when her bf died trying to fake his own death getting away from these people? Why is Polly not a person of interest in Jason's death? Actually, why isn't the whole Cooper clan persons of interest in this crime?

I'm starting to feel like the writers are just winging it, rather than having a planned out story.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Hey now I didn't mean he's ugly. Just that he's the only one showing off his arms LOL. Like I said where was Betty to give her "WHOA" look when she saw him in the suit for Jason's funeral. 

That actually reminded me of a prop I wanted to give the show... as wackadoo as the writing for this show is, the costuming is actually kind of detail oriented! Jughead did show up wearing his usual grunge layers but obviously ended up stripping down over the course of the afternoon, tying his flannel around his waist. He's not as big as the football guys (I didn't even recognize Moose either, possibly because he hasn't shown up since, what, episode 1) so despite those nice arms presumably we're meant to believe he isn't used to physical labor and maybe he overheats easier. I also initially did a O_o at Archie wearing his letter jacket to a biker bar, but then I figured that Archie always wears his letter jacket and literally wouldn't think not to.

As for Polly (she in danger, girl) she doesn't seem too bright, but maybe she's trying to do some kind of undercover investigation? I don't think she'll be very good at it, but she's pretty motivated to find out what happened to her boyfriend and the father of her child.

Keller is still interviewing minors without an advocate, parent or guardian present, unless Polly's 18. Hermione is an adult, but she's not a legal guardian.

Edited by maxineofarc
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

The problem is, going back to the original triangle that is Betty/Archie/Veronica doesn't make sense right now. And the show doesn't have to. I understand that the source material has that triangle but the show can be a different thing, so if the show goes back to that triangle it doesn't name sense in the context of this show. Veronica hasn't shown any romantic interest in Archie really since episode 2. But then again Veronica has hardly gotten any sort of a story, she seems mostly there to prep up other people's stories.

In the beginning of this show, Archie was just a boring dud but now he's crossed over to jerk territory. I have a bad feeling about the inevitable Betty and Jughead breakup. I'm still holding out hope the show surprises me but who knows.

My bad feeling is even though they are showing Archie as a fickle fuckboy who has a good girl in Valerie, yet shows jealousy of Bughead when he didn't want nothing to do with Betts Romatically previously AND is kissing Cheryl next week, that they will have Juggy keep something Huge from Betty so Archie doesn't look so bad. Cue a big fight , possibly heartbreaking breakup then OF COURSE Archie will be there for her instead of BFF Veronica. 

• Love 5

Upon rewatch, Archie (and Fred) are annoying me even more.  When they went to the Serpent's bar, Archie tells Moose if they see the people who attacked him, they should leave and call Sheriff Keller.  But the minute Moose says he might recognize someone, Archie strolls up to the guy and straight up accuses him.  Dude, simmer the eff down.

Then,when Fred shows up he just assumes FP is behind the whole mess his company is in.  Both Fred and Archie like to throw the "after all I've done for you" in people's faces, don't they?  

• Love 8

I found this episode to be slow and rather boring. The pacing was off - I thought it was also off in episode 7.  The first 6 eps I enjoyed but I feel like this show isn't sure how to juggle it's [large] cast well so some stories and characters, e.g. Kevin/Joaquin, aren't really shown to viewers in a way to actually invest in them or learn more about them. I hope they fix that issue soon cause it's hurting the show, IMO.

I still don't hate Archie, and I even agree with what someone said upthread about his similarities to Jughead in how they're both going about trying to protect their dads.  That said, I don't like how he's being integrated into the main mystery to propel the story forward. It makes me think the writers only have a good idea on how to write maybe two or three characters and the rest somewhat suffer individually just prop up those few or are just being written  in a manner to solely drive the story but not are not being developed as characters otherwise.

I really do hate how the show is dismissive of writing for Valerie, who I have enjoyed as a character so far, the last couple of eps. They gave her more of larger role then basically duct taped her mouth shut. The actress is charming and that deleted scene from episode 5 that the show posted on YouTube showed Valerie can be forthright & flirty but in this episode she said one line and the rest of the time was reduced to being a statue. I may need to post more on this in the race relations thread cause I am irritated overall with how the Black characters on Riverdale are being used as almost line-free stage props the last couple of episodes. 

• Love 5