Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

What in the world is poutine?  That's a new one on me.

Poutine is a Canadian delicacy.  It's french fries with cheese curds on top, followed by lots of brown or maybe beef gravy.  It's sort of like gravy fries with cheese curds thrown in.  Never had it.  Love gravy fries though.  If you have a gluten sensitivity, stay away from poutine.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

What in the world is poutine?  That's a new one on me.

It's a Canadian dish. Originally from Quebec.

French fries, cheese curds on top of the fries and hot beef gravy on top of the cheese.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

Poutine is a Canadian delicacy.  It's french fries with cheese curds on top, followed by lots of brown or maybe beef gravy.  It's sort of like gravy fries with cheese curds thrown in.  Never had it.  Love gravy fries though.  If you have a gluten sensitivity, stay away from poutine.

If the gravy is made with gluten free flour and labeled as such then it is okay for celiacs.

• Love 1

Just rewatched the Susan episode. Wow what a difference between her and James. I know she had some setbacks but at least she kept trying, in spite of her mom's enabling.  

James happily embraces any enabling or excuse that keeps him helpless and bedbound. Then the world expects nothing from him and that's how he prefers it, because he has absolutely nothing to give, nor does he want to give. 

• Love 3

Why would James want to change?

Change involves hard work. Following a diet, dealing with emotional issues, physical issues, taking responsibility and ownership etc etc.

Sure, he paid lip service to the obligatory "I want to walk again, lose the weight, get healthy" etc, but I doubt he actually wants that. He has to want that more than eating and being fat.

It seems he's very happy with his life as is. Everyone in his life caters to his each and every whim. He has no responsibilities and can eat and lay on bed watching tv/being on his phone all day. He's fine with that. Sure, he has horrible diaper rash and his layyyhhhgs hurt. But all in all, he enjoys inhaling food an de being catered to, and is indifferent of the effect that has on the people around him. He knows he'll die sooner than later, but life is meant to be enjoyed, so he rather dies with a pound of cheesecake on his chest than suffering eating "fish and chicken".

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Aw my lahgs said:

Change involves hard work. Following a diet, dealing with emotional issues, physical issues, taking responsibility and ownership etc etc.

Sure, he paid lip service to the obligatory "I want to walk again, lose the weight, get healthy" etc, but I doubt he actually wants that. He has to want that more than eating and being fat.

It seems he's very happy with his life as is. Everyone in his life caters to his each and every whim. He has no responsibilities and can eat and lay on bed watching tv/being on his phone all day. He's fine with that. Sure, he has horrible diaper rash and his layyyhhhgs hurt. But all in all, he enjoys inhaling food an de being catered to, and is indifferent of the effect that has on the people around him. He knows he'll die sooner than later, but life is meant to be enjoyed, so he rather dies with a pound of cheesecake on his chest than suffering eating "fish and chicken".

Bingo! You nailed it! James lacks the willpower to do anything different, he's content with the way things are no matter how much complaining he does. It's all lip service.

And Lisa too is just so used to catering to his every need she isn't going to change either. She tried briefly to change by serving him fish and chicken, but sadly it didn't last. The second he hollered for riiiice, she was right there with the Chinese takeout and the cheesecake.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Dru Blood said:

Thank you for the info.  I've also become lactose intolerant in my (older) age.  I've learned to like vegetables a lot.    

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lizzie Jones said:

It's a Canadian dish. Originally from Quebec.

French fries, cheese curds on top of the fries and hot beef gravy on top of the cheese.

Yowza!  I can't imagine being able to eat that and not gain weight.  

I'll just eat the fries and skip the rest :)

• Love 2

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced James won't change because if he does, his girlfriend will leave him. He is so afraid of abandonment that he continues this destructive path so that his caretakers are forced to stay.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, AdorkableWitch said:

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced James won't change because if he does, his girlfriend will leave him. He is so afraid of abandonment that he continues this destructive path so that his caretakers are forced to stay.

I think you're 100% right. They're joined together by a piece of paper and it's not a marriage license, it's a chux pad lol.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

18 minutes ago, AdorkableWitch said:

I think you're 100% right. They're joined together by a piece of paper and it's not a marriage license, it's a chux pad lol.

That's so true! I think Lisa even said at one point that once he's walking, she's outta there. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Aw my lahgs said:

If that were true, he wouldn't have moved to Houston or seen Dr. Nowzardan.

He sincerely wants to be less fat, but he doesn't want to work at it.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Michael Stabosz said:

He wants a genie in a bottle. James' Three Wishes: 

1. I wish to instantly weigh 200 lb

2. I wish my skin to magically reset itself to my new weight

3. I wish to remain at this weight no matter how much I eat

• Love 10

The thing that keeps infuriating me about James' story is not his self destructive behavior. I couldn't care less if he chooses to commit suicide by cheesecake. But I cannot abide his complete lack of awareness for the many ways that his worthless ass has dragged down everyone who comes into his orbit. He simply does not care that his self indulgent way of life has ruined the many lives of those closest to him. 

He just continues to make unapologetic demands to get all of his needs fulfilled without appreciation or acknowledgement of what this costs those around him.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Dru Blood said:

I just had a terrifying thought.  What if Lisa's heart gives out on her while she is cleaning James and she is all alone at the time.  I can picture the scene.  James, half cleaned, sprawled across the bed, urinary catheter hanging out and Lisa in a heap on the floor with a balled up dirty chux clutched in her hand.  What a way to go.  Poor Lisa. She had such a sad life before she went. :(

Granted James would be in the room, but unless he's hungry, is he even really there?

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...I just covered my iPad with Diet Coke LOL Thanks for the laugh!

Jame-Isa is the damn gift that keeps on giving!!!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, HahYallDoin said:

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...I just covered my iPad with Diet Coke LOL Thanks for the laugh!

Jame-Isa is the damn gift that keeps on giving!!!

Lol @ "Jam-isa", but I'm thinking "Lames" is a better fit ;).

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

I'm sure he sincerely wants to be less fat. I'm sure most 800 lbs people want to be less fat. He'd love to be 250 lbs, have his legs cleared, being able to go out and about.... He just doesn't want to do anything for it. He wants a magic pill. He believes as soon as he gets the surgery, hundreds of pounds will shed off. His lower layhgs will clear, the diaper rash will disappear all the while he can continue to eat whatever he likes. Except that instead of ordering Chinese delivery, he can drive Lisa and himself to the all you can eat Chinese buffet.

Losing weight is possible, but it requires work. Hard work. He had access to all tools and help necessary: the best doctor for someone his size, counseling, nutritionists, physical therapy etc etc. But, he still had to make effort himself.  At the end of the day, he has to do the work himself. He just doesn't want to. He's happy with how things are now. Why wouldn't he? 

Lastly, I believe it wasn't his idea to go to Dr Now. I highly suspect it was his daughter Bailey (or someone else close to him) pushing Lisa and James to sign up for the show and the help. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Lizzie Jones said:

My heart just shat itself! We have all kinds of terrible food choices here in Alabama (for example, a bacon cheese burger with two double decker moon pies as buns because, Mardi Gras) but somehow that takes the cake. Somehow, although I knew what was in poutine, it didn't look nearly as terrible for you in my head.

I don't know if I buy that James was willing to change. I got the sense that they may have seen it as a way to earn a buck. I have an acquaintance who works on the show. She posted on a Facebook group I'm part of that the show was looking for very large individuals for filming. She mentioned that there was a stipend as well as payment for the procedure, transportation, and living expenses. They didn't look too well off. I think the GoFundMe pages may have been an attempt to double dip which may explain why we didn't see a ton of individuals donating to him (or because he was a horrible person, six of one, half dozen of another).

• Love 4
6 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

You are in good company!  I can't dredge up one bit of sympathy for James.  Even Penny didn't have her son wiping her ass, so far anyway!

I normally want to see the people be successful.  James is so damned selfish, though.  He took his Dad's money and wasted it.  He uses people to cater to his every whim, and I don't see any redeeming qualities in that dickhead!

I agree. I try to be understanding, but his behavior is so far beyond the pale, I can't feel any kind of sympathy or support for him.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Christina said:

sausage gravy is made by cooking the sausage, then you add white flour to the grease and cook it out, then add milk. That gives you the sausage gravy. If you want just white gravy, you can do it with a bit of lard or butter, after it liquefies add the flour and cook down. The color of the gravy is affected by how long you cook the flour, and if it is long enough, the gravy is dark like a beef gravy, and doesn't taste as much like flour.

8 hours ago, highhighyabothhigh said:

I'm born and raised in the South and sausage gravy is pretty common here. The way my mom made it was just sausage (and the grease), milk, flour, salt and pepper. Very common.

You know, somebody could write a cookbook with all the recipe ideas here. The "My 600 lb Life Cookbook: Recipes from the Show". Also include Nicole's meatloaf made with cheeze doodles or whatever else it was. I haven't seen too many episodes but I'm sure there must be other recipes to put in the book. (I say this jokingly because it would be the most unhealthy cookbook around, and a humorous one).

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MegD said:

We have all kinds of terrible food choices here in Alabama (for example, a bacon cheese burger with two double decker moon pies as buns because, Mardi Gras)

We have some pretty terrible choices here in Kentucky also!  Krispy Kreme Donut burgers.  These donuts alone are pure sugar so someone decided to load burgers, bacon and cheese between them.  An artery's nightmare!  LOL!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQquk-Nh05Ou0_TBrHU_cNimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2SFakIzaqwFaQnfPNf5uimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgXzRwbUOL8M0g2OT_-oC

Edited by swankie
  • Love 1
On 3/26/2017 at 2:23 PM, Trees said:

I agree on no hope for James. And why bother?  He already has heart failure and doesn't give a damn. His skin is loaded with infections.  He is simply living to eat.  The End.

I'm afraid you're right, and that's hard to say.  When you watch Intervention the addiction to whatever is so strong.  The there's correlations in degrading yourself.  

• Love 3

The fast food "taste" is too much I guess.  Don't get me wrong, I love a DQ milkshake but the rest of the food, and all other places are "meh".  James doesn't care about quality, only quantity.  

No one seems to remove themselves from the fast food addiction, and make Houston sound like there no other choices.  Gilbert (IIRC) walking down that highway in the Houston heat and humidity to go get good food made me cry.  

And can't stand poutine!  :D  It's too much!

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Absolutely dying over "My heart just shat itself!"!!

Me too!  Shout out to MegD.  LMAO!

My husband actually told me that shat isn't a word.  I said, "of course it is, it's the past tense of shit, and if it's good enough for Stephen King, it's good enough for me."  That is where I first learned of it, in one of SK's books (can't remember which one.)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, MegD said:

My heart just shat itself! We have all kinds of terrible food choices here in Alabama (for example, a bacon cheese burger with two double decker moon pies as buns because, Mardi Gras) but somehow that takes the cake. Somehow, although I knew what was in poutine, it didn't look nearly as terrible for you in my head.

I don't know if I buy that James was willing to change. I got the sense that they may have seen it as a way to earn a buck. I have an acquaintance who works on the show. She posted on a Facebook group I'm part of that the show was looking for very large individuals for filming. She mentioned that there was a stipend as well as payment for the procedure, transportation, and living expenses. They didn't look too well off. I think the GoFundMe pages may have been an attempt to double dip which may explain why we didn't see a ton of individuals donating to him (or because he was a horrible person, six of one, half dozen of another).

I think it was sort of the opposite- they thought going on TV would give them exposure and get more people to donate to their GoFundMe. They liked the publicity of being on TV. They had no actual desire to stop eating. 

We have heard in this forum that the people featured on the show get about $4000 toward their moving expenses and of course the surgery is free. I don't know where this figure came from but it is the one is out there. For someone without a pot to piss in (because he uses a catheter) $4000 looks like a big payoff.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

My husband actually told me that shat isn't a word.  I said, "of course it is, it's the past tense of shit, and if it's good enough for Stephen King, it's good enough for me."  That is where I first learned of it, in one of SK's books (can't remember which one.)

The book was It.  Some old lady who was drinking tea in the parlor when she shat herself.  The only thing I can specifically remember was the shatting  because it grossed me out.   I'm not sure if that's the first time I ever heard it but it certainly was the one that stuck with me.  Obviously.

I kind of hate that I knew that immediately upon reading your comment.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

It's also good enough for dictionary.com.  And just to keep it on topic, here's a sentence:  "James shat daily in his bed because he was too obese to get to a bathroom."

• Love 6
2 hours ago, swankie said:

We have some pretty terrible choices here in Kentucky also!  Krispy Kreme Donut burgers.  These donuts alone are pure sugar so someone decided to load burgers, bacon and cheese between them.  An artery's nightmare!  LOL!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQquk-Nh05Ou0_TBrHU_cNimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2SFakIzaqwFaQnfPNf5uimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgXzRwbUOL8M0g2OT_-oC

I would totally try a donut burger even though I don't eat fast food. I remember the light flakiness of Krispy Creme, though. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Merriam Webster says it's legitimate as well as dictionary.com. My little brother learned it when he was young (I may have read pieces of It out loud to him when I was babysitting for him) and loved it because it wasn't technically a swearword as defined by the family. It was up there with smote (as in: "James did not realize that God had smote him for his slovenly ways.")

We have variations of the Krispy Kreme burger as well. We loved them as kids because Mom and Dad would bring them home hot at 2 or 3 AM after a Mardi Gras ball. It meant we had donuts for breakfast but if we were still up, we could have a hot, fresh one and there's few things tastier. I went looking, but apparently, no one in Mobile has posted photos of the moon pie burger, but there's a variation at the Bristol Motor Speedway in Tennessee. For reference, each moon pie has 300 calories, 55 grams of carbs, 7 grams of fat, and 230 mg sodium. But technically, it's a moon pie and not a bun so I guess that would make that totally okay. Because 600 calories and 110 grams of carbs is so much better than the 240 calories and 43 carbs in a large sesame bun.

The selective ignorance of some of these patients astound me. I'm on limited carbs (70 g per day) and there are days that I'd kill for rice or a piece of cheesecake or gummy bears. However, weight loss requires effort. It was clear that James, although bedbound, was making the food selections, just like Penny and several other patients did. He had to take ownership of the food choices and Lisa needed to follow through. It wasn't like she had to live in fear of him. He starts screaming, walk outside. He's not going to follow her. True, he might make the cleaning of himself a punishment, but a half hour or so of sitting in his own mess would cure that after a few times.

dac3ff4fedf67455e3af598a8f627240[1].jpg

moon-pies-chocolate_1[1].jpg

brick-house[1].jpg

• Love 4
18 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Yowza!  I can't imagine being able to eat that and not gain weight.  

I'll just eat the fries and skip the rest :)

When I used to live across the street from a take out place I used to eat this all the time and yes I gained weight.  Now since I moved if I am craving poutine I make a healthier alternative. A baked potato (or a baked sweet potato) with a little shredded cheese and beef gravy on top and I don't eat those every day.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, chickenella said:

You know, somebody could write a cookbook with all the recipe ideas here. The "My 600 lb Life Cookbook: Recipes from the Show". Also include Nicole's meatloaf made with cheeze doodles or whatever else it was. I haven't seen too many episodes but I'm sure there must be other recipes to put in the book. (I say this jokingly because it would be the most unhealthy cookbook around, and a humorous one).

Penny's bed pan wontons, Marla's bed-fried chicken and Lupe's Purse Burritos. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, AZChristian said:

It's also good enough for dictionary.com.  And just to keep it on topic, here's a sentence:  "James shat daily in his bed because he was too obese to get to a bathroom."

I'm no skinnie minnie myself and unless I am incapacitated again like I was in 2015, I cannot imagine being forever okay with not getting up and going to the toilet for the rest of my life.

11 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

I would totally try a donut burger even though I don't eat fast food. I remember the light flakiness of Krispy Creme, though. 

I think I would toss the donuts and just eat the meat and the bacon after scraping off those disgusting orange processed cheese slices.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Sile said:

The book was It.  Some old lady who was drinking tea in the parlor when she shat herself.  The only thing I can specifically remember was the shatting  because it grossed me out.   I'm not sure if that's the first time I ever heard it but it certainly was the one that stuck with me.  Obviously.

I kind of hate that I knew that immediately upon reading your comment.

OFF TOPIC ( for a sec) :  That just means that you're a good book reader.

I might actually have to read IT now. I did see the movie but never read the book.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, MegD said:

We have variations of the Krispy Kreme burger as well. We loved them as kids because Mom and Dad would bring them home hot at 2 or 3 AM after a Mardi Gras ball. It meant we had donuts for breakfast but if we were still up, we could have a hot, fresh one and there's few things tastier. I went looking, but apparently, no one in Mobile has posted photos of the moon pie burger,

Hi MegD. Looks like you and I are both from Mobile. Small, small world! 

My 18 year old son has tried both the moonpie burger and the burger with Sugar Rush glazed doughnuts. Not at the same meal LOL Downtown at the old brewery, can't remember the 'new' name of the restaurant. It was during his football season when he was able to eat whatever he wanted and he proclaimed the donut burger the best of the two. He also proclaimed that he won't be eating either of them again. Too heavy for him, like a brick in his stomach and he didn't even finish them.

I'm thinking when James hears the word 'brick,' he immediately craves heavenly hash or a pecan log...fooood!!! 

• Love 2

Okay. Watched this again last night in its entirety. The thing that struck me the most upon second viewing, because the shock of Feet/owmuhleg/you gained A PERSON/chuks had worn off, was the complete disconnect between his tone in the voiceover and what we're actually seeing onscreen. It's stunning.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Looks like something the Heart Attack Grill would serve. We have one here in Vegas but I've been too afraid to go into it--I'm scared they wouldn't let me leave without eating something. 

• Love 2

I'm having my coffee and reading the latest comments.  LOLOLOLOL!  My 600 Pound Cookbook!

Lupe's purse burritos, yes!  Nicole's couch potato meat loaf should be in that cookbook too.

James will probably order the first copy.  

So the book was "It."  Thanks :)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, wheresmypizza said:

Okay. Watched this again last night in its entirety. The thing that struck me the most upon second viewing, because the shock of Feet/owmuhleg/you gained A PERSON/chuks had worn off, was the complete disconnect between his tone in the voiceover and what we're actually seeing onscreen. It's stunning.

Exactly! I guess his TV Persona slipped just a bit...

"But it's what ah wahnnntttt..."

Edited by Anchorabu
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Anchorabu said:

I've been laughing at this since yesterday!

Ow! Mah sides! ... ?

Me too, and I love your avatar, Anchorabu!  Meerkat Manor was a good show.

My husband laughed at "meow, mah leg."  I still can't get him to watch the show, but at least I can snark on it here!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

Looks like something the Heart Attack Grill would serve. We have one here in Vegas but I've been too afraid to go into it--I'm scared they wouldn't let me leave without eating something. 

OT:  Our daughter was in Vegas when Mr. AZC had a heart attack.  Once we were sure he was going to be OK, daughter told me she almost bought him a t-shirt from the Heart Attack Grill, but she didn't want to offend him.  We'd have thought it was funny - thank goodness (because his two stents have brought him back to good health).

• Love 3

We've all been saying how hard it is to loose weight, and how much effort James will have to invest.

But, I think James has it easier than most. He doesn't have to do anything but lie there like a sultan. Lisa will shop for, cook, and serve, every meal. All he has to do is shut up and eat the dammed fish!

He could drop hundreds of pounds with little to no effort on his part. It won't require work until he is forced to make choices for himself.

James could lie in bed, Skype with a therapist, and see results in spite of his best efforts at sabotage. By the time he's ready to walk, he might actually be ready to embrace the new found freedom!

We just need Lisa to get on board, if not for James, then for herself. She may well benefit from talking with James' therapist as well.

Edited by Hockeymom
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Me too, and I love your avatar, Anchorabu!  Meerkat Manor was a good show.

My husband laughed at "meow, mah leg."  I still can't get him to watch the show, but at least I can snark on it here!

Haha thx!

Hubby won't watch it either lol. Nor Hoarders, it grosses him out. He has a low poo ?tolerance ?

Glad I found you guys! 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

We've all been saying how hard it is to loose weight, and how much effort James will have to invest.

But, I think James has it easier than most. He doesn't have to do anything but lie there like a sultan. Lisa will shop for, cook, and serve, every meal. All he has to do is shut up and eat the dammed fish!

He could drop hundreds of pounds with little to no effort on his part. It won't require work until he is forced to make choices for himself.

James could lie in bed, Skype with a therapist, and see results in spite of his best efforts at sabotage. By the time he's ready to walk, he might actually be ready to embrace the new found freedom!

We just need Lisa to get on board, if not for James, then for herself. She may well benefit from talking with James' therapist as well.

This is very true. It's stunning how little motivation and self-responsibility he has. Heck, at that weight, all he'd have to do is use a smaller sized dinner plate and only have one helping and he could still lose weight eating Chinese food and burgers. I can't imagine being so lazy or depressed (or whatever he is) that lying in my own waste and having legs that look like bubble wrap would be okay with me. When I turned 40, my metabolism took a noticeable dip and 15 pounds piled on pretty fast. That was enough to make me buy the gym membership and start choosing salad instead of fries.

ETA: Why doesn't Dr. Now suggest smaller portions of whatever they're eating for the first month or two instead of the face full of cold water, abrupt turnaround he requires? Maybe I don't understand the psychology behind reaching 600+ lbs, but I would think that eating less of what you're used to and seeing weight loss would be way more motivating. I get that it's a lifestyle change, but wouldn't doing it gradually have a higher success rate? Is his approach for show drama or absolutely necessary?

Edited by MillieSparklepants
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

OT:  Our daughter was in Vegas when Mr. AZC had a heart attack.  Once we were sure he was going to be OK, daughter told me she almost bought him a t-shirt from the Heart Attack Grill, but she didn't want to offend him.  We'd have thought it was funny - thank goodness (because his two stents have brought him back to good health).

I'm sorely tempted to get my sister one of those Heart Attack Grill teeshirts. She recently had triple bypass heart surgery and she adores Las Vegas.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Anchorabu said:

"But its what ah wahnnntttt..."

James should have that tattooed across his forehead!  It would save him time from saying it ALL DAY LONG!  It really is his motto.  Quite frankly, given that he so enjoys laying in bed nakid all day, having someone bathe and attend to his every bodily function and cook and practically feed him, I am surprised he doesn't require Lisa to pre-chew his food and spit it right into his mouth!  Because it is "what hee wahnnnts!"

• Love 9

OSM dad and I ate Chinese food last night. We also had friiiiiiiiiied rice. However, we sat up at the table and had reasonable amounts.  I'm still shaking my head at James.. What a waste of a life.  

• Love 5