Type keyword(s) to search

Underground - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought there was far too much dialogue spelling things out for the viewer in this episode, which the show hasn't done up to now. But I loved Rosalie's line "Ain't none of us free til we all free". I loved her saying she can't look away anymore, along with Noah telling everyone exactly what he wants at the marshal station.

I also loved the plan to free the slaves from the marshal's jail and to smear the marshal's name at the same time. That was great. I didn't expect John to kill Kyle though, and definitely not with his bare hands. But then I like the ambiguity because whether he says so aloud or not, John murdered Kyle for raping his wife.

Ernestine is probably my favourite character and I hope this show makes a star of Amirah Vann. But even though I was willing her to kill Tom during their first scene together, I'm not sure how I feel about his death as a story choice.

Yay! Cato survives! Along with poor Noah, a free Boo (Hallelujah) and a free Rosalie.

Heck even her boast to Ernestine - that she'd bring James into the house and treat him so well he'd come to love her (Suzanne) more than Ernestine shows just how... ridiculous her mindset is.

I completely agree. Her concerns are so petty, and though they live in the same house the disparity between their worlds is so great that she can't even conceive of what Ernestine has to contend with and what Ernestine really fears. That makes perfect sense for someone so privileged. And it's still true of people today.

Edited by Kirsty

I'm halfway through the season so I will post this here. No spoilers, just wondering if anyone else was a little annoyed by the music played during some scenes. Sometimes they just seem off, unrelated. I think one was even a rap song? 

I like the show, it is better than most but I really don't like the music, when played with the scenes (I like them to just listen, without watching the show)

The kids in the episode were great but

The writers seem to be confusing abolitionists with non-racists. The abolitionists in this show are too god, too kind, too "we are all equal". 

It wasn't like that. The reasons were not that noble. Not buying. 

And why is Chris Meloni's character even a thing? Why is his name credited as a lead? I  don't care about his story. He is doing a good acting job though. I really didn't like him in anything he has ever been on, so apologies for the times I said he is a terrible actor

• Love 1

Wow, that was shocking. I presume John was shot by the same group that took Noah. Great choice of song at the end. I really felt for Ernestine in her new plantation. I love Elizabeth's sewing circle and that it's led by Astrid from Fringe. Who was the man sneaking papers to read at the beginning?

Great premiere but I was missing Cato.   

• Love 2

That was intense. Although I need more Cato.

Glad to see Pearly Mae back. Adina Porter is a gem.

I'm gonna miss Marc Blucas, he's come a LONG way since Buffy.

• Love 3

I'd forgotten that no one on this show is safe. Then that ending happened. RIP, John. Elizabeth is going to be even more gung-ho for the cause now.

I loved seeing all the characters again. And I so wanted Rosalee and Noah to reunite, but I guess that's going to be an ongoing storyline.

Poor Miss Ernestine. My heart hurts seeing her suffering like that.

I actually missed Cato. Never thought I'd say that!

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

And I so wanted Rosalee and Noah to reunite, but I guess that's going to be an ongoing storyline.

Me too! Did you see the barely concealed elation on his face when he caught sight of her? Aldis Hodge is amazing.

• Love 1

I was somewhat distracted last night so I wasn't able to really watch the show how I wanted, so i'll have to catch it again when I get home from work. 

john being killed like that definitely caught me off guard, sheesh. also ernestine's new drug habit....along with her abusive new boyfriend...trouble trouble. season is going to be intense as hell, and im here for every minute of it lol

On 3/8/2017 at 11:12 PM, InsertWordHere said:

Wow, that was shocking. I presume John was shot by the same group that took Noah. Great choice of song at the end. I really felt for Ernestine in her new plantation. I love Elizabeth's sewing circle and that it's led by Astrid from Fringe. Who was the man sneaking papers to read at the beginning?

Great premiere but I was missing Cato.   

I need to know as well. All I know is that it was Bokeem Woodbine, who I only ever remember from Jason's Lyric. 

Man, I yelped when John Hawkes was shot. I was not expecting that in the least. Also my heart was racing as they slid the noose around Noah's neck. I have such a visceral reaction to depictions (and actual scenes) of lynching that I was watching between fingers. It doesn't help that I'm also reading Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad, which is brutal in its depiction of slavery.

Lastly, how much cloth are they gonna swaddle Jurnee Smollett in to hide her pregnancy? Lol. 

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 2

I was not expecting John to get killed!  That was shocking but story wise, I'm glad as it will be a good arch for Elizabeth.   Does anyone know if the "sewing circle" is based on a real thing?    I'm holding out hope for Ernestine.  Amirah Vann conveys so much feeling even when there is no dialogue.   I literally swore out-loud and hit my couch so hard when Noah fell out of the wagon.   Ugh!  I knew he wasn't going to get free so easily but I was so mad!   

All in all - I can't wait to how this season unfolds. 

@Mozelle  "The Underground Railroad" is an amazing book but I had so many anxiety dreams while I reading it.   Worth it though.   

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how Cato ended up in his current situation.

I wonder why they had to recast Patty. I like Brigid Brannagh.

When I saw the scene in next week's preview of Rosalee fighting in the dirt, all I could think was, "Wow, she's come a long way from Eve's Bayou." Seriously, I wonder if young Jurnee Smollett could have even imagined having a role like Rosalee. This series is groundbreaking.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 2

I'm a little disappointed that the other people on the plantation saved Ernestine. I didn't want her to die, but she clearly did, and given the fact that they are living under bondage and literally have NO hope of their lives getting any better, they shouldn't deny someone a quest for peace. What is her man saving her for - so he can beat and f**k her for yet another day? Speaking of, I cheered both during her song for the white boys and when she fought back when her man hit her.

I felt really bad for the girl who had to sit and be berated for getting pregnant. She'd already lost the baby. Wasn't that bad enough? No, the whole community has to show up to rain shit on her head, and then her dad tells her that they're being supportive. Umm, okay.

ETA:  I read that Angela Bassett's character is supposed to be Ernestine's mother, but from the things she said to her, they didn't seem related.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 3

Damn! Can't Rosalee catch a fucking break?? It was one thing after another.

Nice to see Angela Bassett, but the girl playing young Ernestine was pretty awful.  She was the one dim spot in an otherwise phenomenal episode.  I don't even remember when I started crying, but I sobbed right through to the end.

21 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I'm a little disappointed that the other people on the plantation saved Ernestine.

I love Ernestine so I didn't want her to die.  And yet because I love Ernestine, I also wanted her to succeed. 

• Love 4
On 3/23/2017 at 2:01 AM, mrsbagnet said:

I'm a little disappointed that the other people on the plantation saved Ernestine. I didn't want her to die, but she clearly did, and given the fact that they are living under bondage and literally have NO hope of their lives getting any better, they shouldn't deny someone a quest for peace. What is her man saving her for - so he can beat and f**k her for yet another day? Speaking of, I cheered both during her song for the white boys and when she fought back when her man hit her.

I felt really bad for the girl who had to sit and be berated for getting pregnant. She'd already lost the baby. Wasn't that bad enough? No, the whole community has to show up to rain shit on her head, and then her dad tells her that they're being supportive. Umm, okay.

ETA:  I read that Angela Bassett's character is supposed to be Ernestine's mother, but from the things she said to her, they didn't seem related.

You are either in my head or we are long-lost mental twice because these are my thoughts word for word. ??

• Love 2

I wish I could enjoy this, but I find myself being distracted by the historical anachorisms.  The hairstyles worn by Elizabeth Hawkes and other members of her "sewing circle" look like they belong to the 1890s, instead of the 1850s.

Cato has white servants working for him . . . in 1858 Philadelphia?  Worse, he and Noah were dining at a fine restaurant in the same city that served white customers.  In 1858?  They would have been denied service, no matter how rich Cato was.

And could someone explain why this show has Harriet Tubman operating in the Ohio River Valley, when she mainly operated between Maryland and Canada?

Someone needs to study their history for this show.

• Love 4

I was happy to see William Still again in this episode. 

Also liked seeing Cato again, but boy did this episode remind me of why I hated him in season 1. I know he did right in the end, but I hated how he taunted Noah. I did like his smug declaration at the end ("What this country needs is me")

Elizabeth was ready to throw down at that rally. Thank goodness Georgia stopped her. 

Lucas' conversation with Elizabeth was interesting. I thought his story about seeing slaves on his way to and from school in Missouri was real, but it just drove home the point that he shouldn't need to have a story like that to know slavery is wrong and to fight against it.

Good episode. I'm enjoying this season overall.

• Love 3

Damn! Can't Rosalee catch a fucking break?? It was one thing after another.

This is exactly what my sister and I said to each other as we watched this episode. Rosalee got the brunt of everything in this ep.

So not happy to see August Pullman again.

• Love 1

Liked this episode ("Whiteface") quite a bit .

Cato frequently irritates me, but he's an incredibly compelling character, simply because you just never know what he's going to do. 

I knew Devi would be back, but I didn't think she'd get kidnapped by August Pullman & Co. Speaking of which, can August Pullman die already?

LOVED the Noah/Rosalee reunion, but why didn't she tell him she's pregnant? I felt sure Elizabeth would slip up and spill the news to him.

Elizabeth is going to turn into a full-fledged soldier soon. She can barely keep the murderous look out of her eyes.

So, Georgia was passing. Interesting. Wonder if we'll see her again.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

So, Georgia was passing. Interesting. Wonder if we'll see her again.

I did not think she looked white at all and it only dawned on me she was passing when Elizabeth got the letter from the desk. I need to pay closer attention

I love that Noah and Rosalee was reunited but it was very anti climatic. I thought it was her dreaming. Hope they show how he found her unless I missed that as well

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm sorry, but John Legend as Frederick Douglass looked like a little Smurf.

I laughed so hard at that nonsense. He was not the right person for this role.

• Love 3

Physically, Legend is the right person for the role - the right skin tone and the right age.  Unfortunately, he is not an actor.

What is going on with this show?  Cato seemed to have lost his sense or his brains, this season.  And now Rosalee wants to head back to Georgia and rescue her family . . . while she is in her second trimester.  What the hell is going on with this show?  It seems as if it has lost all direction.

• Love 4
(edited)
23 hours ago, bamaview said:

I seemed to have missed the whole story of how Cato came to be a wealthy, free man. I know he was in England and was boxing/fighting. Is that how he made all his money?

Cato found the money in the last episode of last season, in that carriage/coach that he and Noah found when they had to save Rosalee.

This episode left me confused. Does Noah know that Rosalee is pregnant or not? I was waiting for him to say, "No, we can't go. You're pregnant." What did Patti do with Cato and Devi? Based on the previews, we're not going to find out next week. I would rather have not seen Devi again.

Edited by mrsbagnet
On 4/6/2017 at 9:04 PM, CTrent29 said:

Physically, Legend is the right person for the role - the right skin tone and the right age.  Unfortunately, he is not an actor.

What is going on with this show?  Cato seemed to have lost his sense or his brains, this season.  And now Rosalee wants to head back to Georgia and rescue her family . . . while she is in her second trimester.  What the hell is going on with this show?  It seems as if it has lost all direction.

I am glad that I am not the only one feeling this way.  I have been unable to stay interested in any episode. I felt it was going the wrong way somewhere mid last year, but his year I just really can't get into it.  Aldis Hodge just overacts to me.  His eyes are always bulging and he is  flaring all the time.  He only seems to be able to play Noah one way.  The actor that plays Cato is much better, but they give him terrible lines and this year a bad storyline.  I fast forward with anything related to Elizabeth.  There is no way they expect us to buy that she was passing as white! 

Have not yet watched the last two episodes, but based on the John Legend review and other comments, I don't know that I have missed much.  Last year there was action, tension, grief, regret, hope, etc.  And who really cares about Patty?  I would rather they kept Tom or John and got rid of August.  I think killing his son was a mistake. 

• Love 2

I will give this season a few more episodes. It's all so nonsensical. I need to go back and watch Cato finding the money but how much could it have possibly been. No one is questioning a black man with that much money? No freedom papers? I need some more back story. How did Noah get to Rosalee? This is a shame because season 1 was done so well.

I just tried to ignore John Legend in that civil war lace-front. 

• Love 5

I saw the episode last season when he got the money but nothing this season to explain how he got away, where he has been and what he has been doing with it.  Cato waa easily one of my favorites last year.  I do not think they should have killed Sam. They do not have variety in the male characters nor have they been well developed.

• Love 2

I absolutely LOVED "Minty." Aisha Hinds was incredible. She had me riveted the entire hour. I was so engrossed by the episode, I watched it twice and never once felt bored.

It's interesting that the exec producers, Misha Green and Joe Pokaski chose to do this kind of episode, which is almost like theater. This show is known for its fast pace and action-packed sequences. But I think it was the right choice to have Harriet tell her story without any flashbacks. It was so much more powerful.

• Love 7

Not gonna lie, I had to check out after about 20 minutes.  I agree Aisha Hinds was great, and it was moving, and I know it was supposed to be an "important" episode, but having her do the entire episode was too much.   

• Love 6

I hard as I tried, I doozed off; I appreciate what the producers were going for, but I think would have enjoyed it more if her story was told in flashbacks. It didn't work on screen for me.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 6

I was confused with one part regarding John Brown. The massacre he was involved in was the Pottawatomie Massacre, and I had to rewind three times because I wasn't sure what name she put with the massacre...still not sure but it sounded closer to Potomac than how you pronounce Pottawatomie...or at least how us Kansans pronounce Pottawatomie (which isn't the fault of the actress).

I enjoyed the episode, I thought they did a great job of moving it forward even with only (for the most part) one person speaking. 

Edited by I-Kare
left out a word

I was riveted for the full hour+, but I wonder if maybe liking or participating in live theater makes it easier to appreciate this approach. I can see any one of the segments being used as an audition monologue bye theater students from here on out. I certainly hope that Aisha Taylor gets her well-deserved nomination for whatever awards are available.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Cyranetta said:

I was riveted for the full hour+, but I wonder if maybe liking or participating in live theater makes it easier to appreciate this approach.

You might be right.  I am not a fan of live theater, so that was probably the reason why I was bored by it all (even though I thought Aisha Hinds did a great job).