Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Painful Evacuation

Tara Ariano

2 minutes ago, The Solution said:

Maybe because she's the one decent person amongst these horrible girls, and she realizes it would hurt him to tell him.

Maybe. I'd personally be much more hurt and  angry if my friends all knew that my significant other was cheating on me and didn't tell me.

• Love 6

Thanks choclatine, however, the essential point is, there is nowhere in NYC where someone can live and pay rent while sort of occasionally working in a "survival job", or even working part time.  Not without passive income of some kind (parents, for example). Where to live is the biggest challenge for any artistic sort or non corporate, non-trust fund graduate coming into the city. No matter where you live, no matter how unfashionable (and Greenpoint has been pretty hipster for awhile) and no matter how tiny or how much of a dump the space. Someone as a joke put a bathroom online for rent and got many offers from people who wanted it as living space!

Adam I can understand - originally he got some money from his grandmother each month, and claimed to Hannah that he "supplemented" that income. Now he's a working actor. Soshona I believe gets money from her parents.  The other two - no idea.  

• Love 3

Well I'm assuming Adam pays for everything for Jessa. He's paying for her school. I wouldn't be surprised if he's footing the bill for anything else she needs. She's a leech that one.

Not sure where Marnie gets her money. Her mom doesn't seem well off and we only heard about her dad in bits in season 2 when he they talked about him having lost his job. So her parents aren't that well off either.

• Love 2
On 2/27/2017 at 4:43 PM, Hrairoo said:

Is blood in your pee a common symptom of pregnancy?  Help a nulliparous broad out, here. ;)

She had blood in her pee from an infection. She was also pregnant. I don't think the two were related. 

8 hours ago, scrb said:

But not sure why the show had to be located in NY, other than Lena probably wanted it, though with Hannah being an aspiring writer, it makes sense.  Plus they got some mileage in the first season out of her depending on her parents and about all the characters not always making responsible choices.

It wouldn't be the same show if it wasn't in NYC. 

I liked this episode and all the characters. The physical comedy cracks me up. The paper towel stuck to marni's crotch while she's talking to Ray. Hannah and her mother on FaceTime. Hannah on the toilet while Elijah is in the shower. The set up the scenes well. 

2 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

Thanks choclatine, however, the essential point is, there is nowhere in NYC where someone can live and pay rent while sort of occasionally working in a "survival job", or even working part time.  Not without passive income of some kind (parents, for example). Where to live is the biggest challenge for any artistic sort or non corporate, non-trust fund graduate coming into the city. 

Most get help but I do know young people living in NYC who work as a part-time hostess or waitress or some other job while pursuing the arts. The toughest part is getting your own apartment, but if you find someone looking for a roommate or rent a room somewhere people do it every day. 

• Love 6

Once in a while, each of these characters gets to tell us the truth, and Desi had a moment of absolute truth in this episode, when he told Marni that she has never seen the "real" him. She has always seen him as fitting this type, this image of the man she believed she deserved, this ideal guy -- and he never was. He never has been. He has the outer appearance of the ideal man, but in reality he is a man child in every possible sense, the opposite of what Marni wants. And yet she is so driven by these illusions, the perfect wedding, the perfect man, her brilliant career -- she chases that shit like a drug, and she bends herself into a pretzel to make people conform to her expectations, and when they don't, she's more frustrated than hurt. Desi is the only one to see this and state it to her so plainly. He may be a big baby, but he sees what's really going on there with her. 

• Love 11

Adam and Jessa are high on their own self-importance.

Jessa needs the distraction of a movie to pull her away from the knowledge that she is a sociopath.  Once she knows that Adam won't want Hannah anymore (like with her pregnancy), she will drop him.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Hannah with a child? That's a horrifying prospect. I wouldn't let Hannah watch my plant for a weekend, let alone leave her with a child. I hope she puts the kid up for adoption, and maybe writes a book about it. Adoption is the least shown option on TV ( it always seems to be between abortion or raising the child on their own) and it would be interesting to see Hannah navigate that process. You could get some good, funny guest stars to be perspective adoptive parents, people debating abortion/child raising issues, there's some good stuff to mine out of that, even if its the home stretch.

Hannah's the kind of character who would go through that whole process, give birth, and then decide that the parents she picked will be abusers and her kid needs to be adopted by people in Malawi or something.

• Love 5

I've known quite a few people who set themselves up in NYC (and in the NYC-adjacent NJ communities - Jersey City, Weehawken) in a group home situation. That's the most doable. Get a room in a house or other dwelling with other people, and yes, people do pull that one off every day. It IS getting your own apartment that is the trick, and people without supplementary support who work the service jobs are priced out of getting their own apartment. Yet there's Marnie, no discernible income, yet Ubers and massages.

I still think Ray is more than a manager - got bumped up somehow.

I know two women who are freelance writers. One has three kids. I asked her what her niche was and she said "Anything." It's true. She's been writing since she was a teen-ager, treats it like a job, has had her poetry published in the New Yorker, but will also write ANYTHING to get a deal or make a sale. She has a young adult genre pen name. She's done dystopian novels and chick lit. She can squeeze blood out of a dime and then squeeze it some more, but she and her family live a sort of bohemian privileged life - they've traveled to Europe (still squeezing pennies) and go to good schools, but all of their furnishings are second hand, ditto their clothes. The mom (the writer) complains about money because it's VERY hard, and when things don't sell, they really don't sell, but still - she has supported a family of five on her writing income. I also know a lot of female creative types and most are moms. That's one thing I don't see on Girls - in my life I don't see the writers and creative "types" Hannah encounters, who had some type of sacrifice going on. The creative types I know just WORK at it but otherwise have their families and communities. I do have a divorced neighbor who makes a very nice living and she has no kids, but she's incredibly, incredibly smart about how she manages her free lancing and pursues work. She used to be in a corporate job, so she is very familiar with how to help corporations with her writing, even internationally, as well as her more creative articles. 

Anyhow, I've seen creative women portrayed on both Girls and 30 Rock as types who have to go off the beaten path, and most writers I know are right on that damn beaten path, just hustling like anyone who is self-employed.  They need clients like any business. It's not so funky and artsy, I guess I'm saying.

No way Hannah is making rent by getting an article published in the NY Times "Modern Love" section and then getting a free lance assignment from that, the end so far as we know. (The niche feminist blog probably didn't pay at all, but it's good for her samples). What made me roll my eyes was when Hannah offered to buy Jean-Louis drinks using "my magazine's expense account." Good luck getting reimbursed, Hannah.

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Lena always looks so pretty on the After the Episode.  It is hard to reconcile that it is the same person.

She does look different.  I find her pretty on the show, but on the AtE I don't like that weird samurai ponytail.

3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Maybe. I'd personally be much more hurt and  angry if my friends all knew that my significant other was cheating on me and didn't tell me.

Not if you never found out!  Then you wouldn't be angry or hurt at all.  Sounds like I'm snarking, but that is the calculation.

3 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Not sure where Marnie gets her money. Her mom doesn't seem well off and we only heard about her dad in bits in season 2 when he they talked about him having lost his job. So her parents aren't that well off either.

I thought they at least had been at one time.  Wasn't their trip to the Hamptons courtesy of a family friend, and Marnie acted like she had grown up vacationing there?

Edited by SlackerInc
Missed a quote
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

Not if you never found out!  Then you wouldn't be angry or hurt at all.  Sounds like I'm snarking, but that is the calculation.

Seeing as Shosh got that information from Elijah, the chances of Ray never finding out are slim to none. I think the only reason she didn't tell him when he came by is that she thought he seemed suicidal.

28 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

I thought they at least had been at one time.  Wasn't their trip to the Hamptons courtesy of a family friend, and Marnie acted like she had grown up vacationing there?

That wasn't the Hamptons, that was Northport, a still nice but far less expensive part of Long Island. And while Marnie's mom may have a wealthy friend, she herself lives in a one-bedroom condo in New Jersey (Marnie crashed on her living room sofa at one point in S2). I doubt that she's bankrolling the massages and Uber rides. We also know that Marnie and Desi haven't made any money from their tour, so her finances truly are a mystery, unless we find out in the season finale that she's been Belle-de-Jour-ing the whole time.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

When this many people know, these things have a way of not staying a secret. Plus, ray would be far better off knowing, IMO.  It would be a kindness to tell him, in the long run.  He hasn't, as far as we know, agreed to be in an open relationship. Maybe all of his friends know he wouldn't want to know and so are keeping quiet out of respect, but we haven't seen that. Me, I'd want to know, so I could dump the cheater, but I do know our mileages vary. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Eyes High said:

I know mileage varies on this, but to me Desi remains one of the funniest characters on TV I've ever seen. The bit where he's slurping his water down and his therapist responds by nodding approvingly when he finishes the glass in one go killed me. 

Jessa and Adam both seemed like they were high. I think the After the Episode bit said that they were "seemingly sober," which is an odd choice of words.

Hannah has found the best way to deal with drama hounds like Jessa: shrug your shoulders. Jessa looked like she was fiending for some big blowout or dramatic, emotionally-wrought discussion, and Hannah hilariously denied her.

I wish Elijah had a storyline of his own, but his few lines were great. "Sorry I'm using my pizza hand."

They had to be high. Definitely Jessa, anyway...or else she was having some kind of manic episode. I feel like Adam walking off the set doesn't line up with what we've seen in later seasons - he's come to be pretty reliable and was shown to care a lot about his acting and career. They must both be high. 

13 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

Due respect, to WhosThatGirl, I empathize with shipping disappointment on television; I'm often left dissatisfied. That said, I really came into girls via Shoshanna and Ray, although I've come to enjoy other aspects, even Hannah-centric episodes like the surfer one. When it appeared that Ray was in love with Marnie, I was positive it was Lena Dunham working the character hierarchy of the show - Allison Williams and Dunham are really the consistent female leads over Mamet and Kirke, so of course they would be assigned the two male leads (Ray and Adam), and Ray was done for. I was extremely unhappy about it and found it completely unbelievable. On paper I believe that sure, Ray was the "type" who would want what he thinks is the girl he could never have, but he's really never been that type of guy in practice,and I didn't buy that he'd always been a Marnie critic because of what she represented. And it's true, I'm one of those who does not like Marnie. The only times I've ever liked her has been with Desi, or that bottle episode with Charlie.

I have generally positive feelings towards this season, building on last season, which was a favorite. Money continues to be a WTF for me. The apartments look like the apartments that people with little money would scrounge to get and pay a fortune for, so props to Girls for that, but there is no indication where these girls get the $$ to pay the fortune even the most tenement-looking digs (like Marnie's) will cost in Williamsburg. I'll assume Shosh's parents still underwrite her a bit, and I'll assume that as a working actor, Adam has a comfortable income. He's WORKING, working, doing commercials and film, and those pay well, even at his level. But Hannah and Marnie have me completely lost as far as how they're sustaining themselves.

Personally, I give Girls credit for the Desi character. Once he stopped being Marnie's sexual tension guy and began to be ridiculous, I assumed Desi was on his way out, except that Marnie continued to show signs of interest, such as being jealous of his Lisa Bonet girlfriend. But he kept sticking around, and I now believe they deserve each other and will end up together. Something about Desi got him cast on Broadway, so I think he'll get his act together and start making money, which will make Marnie happy-ish. Desi is usually the type of character I find REPULSIVE-repulsive, not funny, the type of character a show finds more amusing than the audience finds him, a real irritant. But I just like watching the actor work - I think he's hilarious.

Co-sign all of this. 

• Love 1

I've known quite a few people who set themselves up in NYC (and in the NYC-adjacent NJ communities - Jersey City, Weehawken) in a group home situation. That's the most doable. Get a room in a house or other dwelling with other people, and yes, people do pull that one off every day. It IS getting your own apartment that is the trick, and people without supplementary support who work the service jobs are priced out of getting their own apartment.

Spent most of my life (about five decades) in Brooklyn and that is EXACTLY how it works.  In prime parts of the borough (like Clinton Hill, Park Slope, Greenpoint or Williamsburg) millennials pay for a $3,800 per month, two-or-three bedroom apartment by doubling, tripling or even quadrupling up on the space. In the real world, given their respective financial situations, Hannah, Jessa, Shosh and Marnie would all likely share the same flat when not living with their significant others.

There was an article I saw yesterday (and of course now I can't find it anywhere) that discussed this tired trope of pregnancy as a way of making a female character grow up. Think Gilmore Girls and also this . . . I've seen it also used as "pregnancy makes hard-driven career woman realize that what's important is not a job but a baby" - and I suppose it happens to a certain extent with men - like in About a Boy or Big Daddy.  Good lord, those are my only two examples.

It is weird to think that Lena would go to that tired trope of "A woman can only mature if she has a baby and assumes her true role of caregiver" - but then on the other hand, if there are four women, it makes sense that one of them would eventually become a mother. I suppose it's the Sex & the City thing - someone has to be a Miranda?  If I look back on my own friendships in my 20s, there were a few women who had babies in their mid-20s and sort of separated from the rest of us being hot-messes around that time. So statistically, I suppose it does make sense. It just kind of makes me sad too.

I don't think that Hannah would be a terrible mom. Her kid would straight up be super weird. But she's not stupid. Just kind of self-involved and irresponsible. On the sliding scale of things that make terrible parents, those are fairly mild. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, EdnasEdibles said:

There was an article I saw yesterday (and of course now I can't find it anywhere) that discussed this tired trope of pregnancy as a way of making a female character grow up

I agree this is a tired, tired trope, that's why I think there isn't going to be a baby.  I just can't picture Lena, Judd and Jenni sitting around the writer's table saying "Let's give Hannah a baby to grow her up some!"  Sunday's episode was just the beginning of the story.  I think just being pregnant for a short period of time will affect Hannah in profound ways.

34 minutes ago, EdnasEdibles said:

I suppose it's the Sex & the City thing - someone has to be a Miranda?

To be fair to the writers, it wasn't their idea for Miranda to be pregnant, the actress got pregnant and writers wrote it in to the story.  This is not the case with GIRLS.

• Love 4
On 3/6/2017 at 10:10 AM, DianeDobbler said:

Personally, I give Girls credit for the Desi character. Once he stopped being Marnie's sexual tension guy and began to be ridiculous, I assumed Desi was on his way out, except that Marnie continued to show signs of interest, such as being jealous of his Lisa Bonet girlfriend. But he kept sticking around, and I now believe they deserve each other and will end up together. Something about Desi got him cast on Broadway, so I think he'll get his act together and start making money, which will make Marnie happy-ish. Desi is usually the type of character I find REPULSIVE-repulsive, not funny, the type of character a show finds more amusing than the audience finds him, a real irritant. But I just like watching the actor work - I think he's hilarious.

I think the Girls writers have credited Desi's actor (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) with really creating Desi as a character, in which case he deserves all the awards. Like you, Desi is usually the type of character I find repulsive, but Desi is just so, so funny to me. Apparently the bit with Desi passive-aggressively drinking the entire glass of water in one go, to Marnie's bewilderment and disgust, was Ebon's idea. I thought it was hilarious.

I also agree that Desi and Marnie deserve each other.

• Love 7
(edited)
22 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

The show doesn't feel different to me this season. It's actually improved as a show, IMO. Hannah makes me laugh. She's an interesting character - she has all the entitlement, audacity, desire to shock, assertiveness, randomness, exhibitionism and irresponsibility of a woman who is much more beautiful, and I honestly think that drives some of the rage I see on social media. I would also include her fashion sense, her wearing clothes that exposes her, her following trends when she is not someone most people want to see representing trends.  Jessa is impossible, and has the drug history, but she's also a familiar type. I think we can see Jessa as someone who was enabled because of her sex appeal and bohemian glamour, but Hannah? How dare she.  The character has had a big influence on fashion in NYC; I see a lot of Hannah's running around as far as how they dress, and I think that's a good thing.

This is a very good point.  When I was younger it was ingrained in a lot of media, both visual and print, that if a woman wanted respect, she had to meet a minimum standard of beauty.  Of course, there have always been awesome confident women, who did not base their worth on their looks, but it really did mess with a lot of young girls' heads.

I watch the show "The Americans", who have some kick ass female characters.  However, a character is dying in a horrible manner and describing the remarkable spy couple at the center of the show and says "She's pretty and he's lucky..."  This is annoying as hell.  Yes, Elizabeth is pretty (played by Kerri Russel), but she is so much more.  The male spy is also very nice looking (ironically, he played the pervert in the last episode), but he is never defined by just his looks.

There is also a subplot in a show,  where the male spy is taking advantage of a pathetic lonely woman.  She is pathetic, because she is not "the usual drop dead gorgeous" most of the other actresses on the show are...which is ridiculous (she is a perfectly attractive woman).  In the new season the show runners have signaled that the daughter has given up and no longer cares, because she now wears her hair in a pony tail, instead of styling it (they have actually said this).  I do not mean to go into a rant about "The Americans" on a "Girls" thread, but it illustrates even in prestige dramas, how the female characters are still defined somewhat by their looks and physical attributes.

It is so off kilter, to see a woman who does not meet these ideals be considered so desirable and sexy, that it really throws some people for a loop.  We see men regularly be attracted to Hannah, even when their are supposedly "more conventionally desirable women available".  They probably think "who does she think she is.", when it truth she is not any different from many average looking self absorbed immature male characters who always manage to attract great looking women that are often found in pop culture (think of Jerry Seinfeld from "Seinfeld").

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 7

I agree, it's pretty cool to see a Hannah looking character as a lead in a tv show. If I'm being honest none of our girls are the most conventional looking leads. Marnie and Jessa would be the ones but they aren't what you usually see in leads.  I like a lot about this show that I didn't see. I remember in the first season people made comparisons to Sex and The City but I never saw that. Only that both shows were set in NYC and focusing on four girls.  SATC felt like fantasy, girls feels at least some sense of reality. 

I still stand by my theory that Hannah is having a kid. If only because I really think that her friends are probably going to be like "you can't raise a baby right now" and Hannah is going to be all "i will show you".

The ATE both Lena and the other women said about Jessa and Adam 'it's great that they are both alive and sober" or something. So I guess thelat erases the theory that they are getting high? They also didn't have much to see about them? So who the hell knows what's going on with that story. Also the ATE didn't mention anything about Ray and Hermie. So.. okay.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

It is so off kilter, to see a woman who does not meet these ideals be considered so desirable and sexy, that it really throws some people for a loop.  We see men regularly be attracted to Hannah, even when their are supposedly "more conventionally desirable women available".  The probably think "who does she think she is.", when it truth she is not any different from many average looking self absorbed immature male characters who always manage to attract great looking women that are often found in pop culture (think of Jerry Seinfeld from "Seinfeld").

Yes, exactly. To drive it home, the gorgeous Gillian Jacobs, who played Mimi-Rose on Girls, went on to star in the romantic comedy Love, where she plays the female romantic lead opposite a guy who looks like this.

She's an interesting character - she has all the entitlement, audacity, desire to shock, assertiveness, randomness, exhibitionism and irresponsibility of a woman who is much more beautiful, and I honestly think that drives some of the rage I see on social media. 

I agree. (Reminds me of Jack Donaghy telling Liz Lemon on 30 Rock "You have the boldness of a much younger woman.") There seems to be this idea that Hannah should "know her place" and her refusal to act as if she's some blight on the face of the earth on account of her supposedly hideous face and body is infuriating to some.

Also, Hannah is deliberately styled to make her look unattractive, whereas usually on TV female characters, even female characters played by actresses who are not conventionally attractive or who are not rail-thin, are shown to their best advantage: perfectly styled hair, perfect makeup (even in bed!), flatteringly cut and perfectly tailored clothes (and the latter part is really what makes the difference), etc. Early on in the show, Hannah's hair is styled and she's wearing more flattering, well-fitting clothing, visible makeup, and Spanx. All of that got ditched in short order for character reasons, to juxtapose her with the immaculately groomed Marnie. Thus the fashion disaster Hannah who wears unflattering, unfashionable, poorly-fitting clothing that looks like it was scrounged from a yard sale, wears little or no makeup, and is currently styling her hair like a fourth-grader (brightly-coloured elastics and all), and it was a conscious, deliberate decision which is a very rare one. It's obviously not a Rachael Leigh Cook in She's All That situation--where the character is clearly gorgeous pre-makeover despite the costume department's desperate attempts to play down her looks--and I don't think anyone would argue that Hannah would be a great beauty if only she styled herself a little better, but there are character reasons why Hannah looks so terrible in the show which have nothing to do with Lena Dunham's attractiveness.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Also, Hannah is deliberately styled to make her look unattractive, whereas usually on TV female characters, even female characters who are not conventionally attractive or rail-thin, are shown to their best advantage: perfectly styled hair, perfect makeup (even in bed!), flatteringly cut and perfectly tailored clothes (and the latter part is really what makes the difference), etc. Early on in the show, Hannah's hair is styled and she's wearing more flattering, well-fitting clothing, visible makeup, and Spanx. All of that got ditched in short order for character reasons, to juxtapose her with the immaculately groomed Marnie. Thus the fashion disaster Hannah who wears unflattering, unfashionable, poorly-fitting clothing that looks like it was scrounged from a yard sale, wears little or no makeup, and is currently styling her hair like a fourth-grader (brightly-coloured elastics and all), and it was a conscious, deliberate decision which is a very rare one. It's obviously not a Rachael Leigh Cook in She's All That situation--where the character is clearly gorgeous pre-makeover despite the costume department's desperate attempts to play down her looks--and I don't think anyone would argue that Hannah would be a great beauty if only she styled herself a little better, but there are character reasons why Hannah looks so terrible in the show which have nothing to do with Lena Dunham's attractiveness.

Yeah, actresses (who are usually fairly attractive) have a team of make up and styling people at their disposal, not to mention perfect lighting...and this is for when a character just waking up out of bed.  Lena, can (and we have seen it) be much more attractive then Hannah.

This show has dared to make young twenty somethings gross and not constant objects of the male gaze.  It's not just for Hannah.  When Adam comes home from work, beautiful blonde bohemian Jessa is lounging around in unsexy granny panties.  She does not look like a runway model slumming it, but a regular girl being comfortable.  It is sad that regular women just looking normal is so revolutionary in pop culture.

• Love 11

Nice ep! I loved how Hanna didn't give two shits about Adam and Jessa and their hyped-up plan to make a movie. I swear those two are on speed/meth/stimulants of some sort. Normal people don't act like that..

Haha! never change Marnie Marie! never change girl! The world revolves around you and YOU know it!

Elijah. Rubbing his greasy pizza fingers through Hanna's hair made me happy. And Hanna is preggers from the dude way at the beginning of the season? The surfer dude? Right?

Who was the ER doc? I don't remember him.

Anyway at the end of the episode I went.. Ahhhh. Nice.

On 3/6/2017 at 1:10 AM, WhosThatGirl said:

I find it funny that the best character out of this show about Girls is a guy named Ray. 

Nope. I beg to differ. The best character on a show called girls is the lead-- Hanna. Period. Ray is a wishy-washy idiot. No redeeming qualities.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

If I look back on my own friendships in my 20s, there were a few women who had babies in their mid-20s and sort of separated from the rest of us being hot-messes around that time. So statistically, I suppose it does make sense. It just kind of makes me sad too.

I don't think that Hannah would be a terrible mom. Her kid would straight up be super weird. But she's not stupid. Just kind of self-involved and irresponsible. On the sliding scale of things that make terrible parents, those are fairly mild. 

Said that they had babies, or sad that the rest of you were hot messes? 

I agree with you about Hannah as a mom. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, taanja said:

Nope. I beg to differ. The best character on a show called girls is the lead-- Hanna. Period. Ray is a wishy-washy idiot. No redeeming qualities.

I have a soft spot for Ray, but I agree that he's wishy-washy and makes stupid choices. I have to keep reminding myself that he is ten years older than the girls. I know people mature at different rates, but at his age he should at least be able to recognize Marnie's crap for what it is.

53 minutes ago, taanja said:

Who was the ER doc? I don't remember him.

That was Joshua, with whom Hannah had a sex-filled weekend in S2. The episode was called One Man's Trash. Even more interesting than the episode itself was the reaction to it online - hordes of trolls lost their shit because they didn't think that a handsome, successful man would want to sleep with a woman like Hannah. I think the callback to him in this episode was a FU to said trolls.

6 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

I don't think that Hannah would be a terrible mom. Her kid would straight up be super weird.

Wouldn't it be hilarious though if the kid turned out to be a straight-laced, goody-two-shoes type who's deathly embarrassed by Hannah?

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Wouldn't it be hilarious though if the kid turned out to be a straight-laced, goody-two-shoes type who's deathly embarrassed by Hannah?

Like Saffy and Edina on Absolutely Fabulous? Because that was the comparison that came to mind.

I have to keep reminding myself that he is ten years older than the girls.

Yes, exactly. The girls are clueless twentysomethings. What's Ray's excuse? He's in his, what, late 30s by now? Most guys I know in that age range have stable careers of some description, are married or permanently partnered, and either have kids or are happily childfree. He also acts awfully superior for someone who's accomplished very little in life--as Hermie pointed out in this episode--and who chases after girls at least 10 years his junior.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

Said that they had babies, or sad that the rest of you were hot messes? 

I agree with you about Hannah as a mom. 

Oh I'm sorry, I meant sad that the show was doing the baby trope. But it is also sad that we were hot messes.

• Love 4

I'm not a kid person, and I've managed to avoid getting pregnant my whole life, and so I always roll my eyes at the surprise pregnancy storylines. However, I have to then remind myself that this is a common element of women's lives, which is why it comes up so frequently as a plot point. I've certainly had pregnancy *scares* that mirrored the ones we've all seen on television a million times. Just because I'm not personally interested, and don't want to watch shows about kids/motherhood, doesn't make it a questionable choice in fiction. I guess.

I have to admit Hannah's the very last television character I expected to see this happen to, though. At least they waited until the last season to do it. 

• Love 7
On 3/5/2017 at 11:00 PM, kathe5133 said:

And Desi.  Marnie is self absorbed.  What 20 something isn't?  Desi put the pills in his mouth.  Desi made that choice.  No one can make you do what you don't want to do.   I don't think a therapist would really let him get a way with blaming Marnie.  That wasn't realistic, but Desi had the typical addict part down!  It's always someone else's fault!  Fucking addicts.

THIS! I know Marnie is full of herself, but she didn't know he was a drug addict until recently! How can she feed into something she does not know exists? I would be stressed out to be blamed for something that doesn't have anything to do with me, and was probably occurring before I was in the picture! I was surprised the therapist let that get by, but some therapists are worse enablers than family and friends.

26 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I have to admit Hannah's the very last television character I expected to see this happen to, though. At least they waited until the last season to do it. 

Agreed. I've had pregnancy scares (and pregnancies) from simple failure to use BC. Hannah does strike me as the sort of woman who would roll with the moment even if she should be using a condom. However, Hannah becoming pregnant, even in the last season, doesn't seem like a real Girls thing to do. I'll admit, I'm pretty worried about Hannah's baby already!

• Love 2

If Hannah ends up finding redemption and maturity via having a baby, I will cut a bitch! I mean, Rachel did it on Friends for fucks sake! I know this can't possibly be LD's endgame, but if it is, I will be so disappointed. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kieyra said:

Just because I'm not personally interested, and don't want to watch shows about kids/motherhood, doesn't make it a questionable choice in fiction. I guess.

I'm glad to hear you say that, because so often I feel like in online discussions about TV, women seem to be either very stereotypically "mommy" style (more likely on a more mainstream show), or very hostile to any depiction of babies, pregnancy, parenthood.  Which are all, whether anyone is individually into them or not, huge parts of life on planet Earth.  There are few other things that I can think of which people can and do live without (i.e., not including eating/drinking/breathing), but which are so widespread across every culture and subculture.  Including the kind of subculture this show resides in, even if being "childfree" is a little more common in that milieu.  For a good example of what I mean, check out the excellent episode of You're the Worst titled "LCD Soundsystem" (Season 2, episode 9).

6 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

If Hannah ends up finding redemption and maturity via having a baby, I will cut a bitch! I mean, Rachel did it on Friends for fucks sake! I know this can't possibly be LD's endgame, but if it is, I will be so disappointed. 

This is a thing that happens in real life, yanno.

• Love 2

I'd be very disappointed if the show's message is that women can only find redemption and maturity via child-rearing. That said, it's hard for me to believe that'll happen, not that I have any idea where this storyline is going. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I still stand by my theory that Hannah is having a kid. 

I really think she is. On the after the episode thing, she specifically said, "this episode starts the big season arc of Hannah's pregnancy." 

Marnie is Marnie. She will always find a way to circle the wagons back to it being everyone else's fault. 

Desi gives me life. His character has just gone around the corner into being absolutely ridiculous. I love that he was wearing that holey sweater with a snowflake scarf wrapped twice around his neck. 

Blink and you miss her - Shoshanna 

Everyone else has been far more eloquent in their analysis of Ray, but I will say that I think this is the first episode where I didn't like Ray. I don't know why. Maybe it's because (to me at least) Ray has always been a very smart and put-together person and he seems like the last character they'd give the "stuck in a bad relationship/epiphany moment" trope. 

Adam and Jessa - meh. Those two are a gasoline explosion at a fireworks store, and the less I see of them, the better. 

I  L I V E for Elijah. I could watch a whole show just with him. 

Edited by novemberjenny
  • Love 4

Yeah.. I'm being honest I don't know how this ending works. But then again at this point all of these characters seem up in the air and just doing random things.. look i don't want this series to end picture perfectly but I honestly don't know where any of the stories are going. 

• Love 3
(edited)

qtpye: ironically, the young actress who plays the daughter in THE AMERICANS has the most *awesome* hair. She doesn't need to do *anything* to it beyond combing/brushing, not washing it too often and avoiding heat-styling and hot hair dryers. Pony tail = good. Bleaching her blond and fancy hair styling = run away screaming.

Edited by wendyg
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Like Saffy and Edina on Absolutely Fabulous? Because that was the comparison that came to mind.

Yes, exactly. The girls are clueless twentysomethings. What's Ray's excuse? He's in his, what, late 30s by now? Most guys I know in that age range have stable careers of some description, are married or permanently partnered, and either have kids or are happily childfree. He also acts awfully superior for someone who's accomplished very little in life--as Hermie pointed out in this episode--and who chases after girls at least 10 years his junior.

Holy crap, I had forgotten about how much older he is then the girls.  If most of them (excluding Shosh) are 25-26, that means Ray is 35-36 years old!  He is around my age and has no excuse for dating a self absorbed nincompoop, not having a secure place to live, and behaving like he is too cool for school.  I remember Shosh broke up with him, because he was a total loser and that motivated him to actually do something ( I think it was either managing or being part owner of the coffee shop).

I know we have seen Ray do nice things and most of the times the girls act horribly, but do you think that the reason we give him a pass on immaturity, is we always expect more out of females?  

I say this because I know a guy who is a doctor and a bachelor.  All the ladies he works with totally baby and coddle him, saying things like he is a growing boy and needs to be taken care of.  I shit you not...this guy is 41 years old.  I can not imagine a group of people I work with taking care of me in the same, particularly at that age (I am female).  Heck, they probably would say I need to get a new job, because I am too immature to work there.

3 hours ago, wendyg said:

qtpye: ironically, the young actress who plays the daughter in THE AMERICANS has the most *awesome* hair. She doesn't need to do *anything* to it beyond combing/brushing, not washing it too often and avoiding heat-styling and hot hair dryers. Pony tail = good. Bleaching her blond and fancy hair styling = run away screaming.

I agree.  That show is awesome, but it is hilarious that the show runners would think that the audience would infer that Paige has given up on life, because her beautiful hair is pulled back into a pony tail, instead of stylized waves.  It is also is kind of a diss to pony tail wearers.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Neither do I.  And that's a good thing.  I hate watching shows with cliched dialogue and predictable plots.

True. But Hannah becoming pregnant and that being a catalyst for growing up is cliche. She's the only story where I feel like I know what's going to happen.

The thing with Ray is that I agree, I think he's spent too much time around these 20 somethings. In the beginning of this series he did seem smarter and aware of the world and now he's spending more and more time around these people who got all intents and purposes aren't nice people actually and I think that's affected his perception. That's why I hope he gets the hell away from these people. It's the only way.  I would say this for Adam too but after watching the last episode and his blip of a storyline with Jessa, I've lost any feelings I like about him. I can't get over the "walking out on a movie" bs. It just bugs me.

And I love Elijah too but I think I'm perfectly happy with the small doses he is given in this show. Anymore and I think he would annoy me.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

True. But Hannah becoming pregnant and that being a catalyst for growing up is cliche. She's the only story where I feel like I know what's going to happen.

When and if that happens, I'll be pissed too.  But right now, Hannah just found out, anything can happen.

• Love 3

Yeah. I hope we get something different with Hannah. It would be cool if she was all "I want to be a mother but not right now" and she started to change her lifestyle. I'm cool with her realizing she needs to grow up, but becoming a mother would be incredibly cliche. 

• Love 1

thought they at least had been at one time.  Wasn't their trip to the Hamptons courtesy of a family friend, and Marnie acted like she had grown up vacationing there?

That wasn't the Hamptons, that was Northport, a still nice but far less expensive part of Long Island.

That was neither the Hamptons nor Northport. It was the "North Fork," perhaps Greenport. The North Fork is on the eastern end of Long Island between the Long Island Sound and Peconic Bay (unlabeled on the map below, but the body of water to the right of Riverhead). The North Fork has many weekend/vacation properties, but is much less developed, known and costly than the Hamptons. It currently has many vinyards and formerly had many potato farms.

58c046fc17df4_LongIslandmap2.png.1b43e9cdb5bdfe25f667493e07397b2f.png

Northport is also on the north shore of Long Island, but in the town of Huntington at the western edge of Suffolk County adjacent to Nassau County. It is quite pleasant, but not a vacation home area. Northport is close enough to New York City to be a suburban commuter community.  Fun fact - Patti LuPone is from Northport. 

"The Hamptons" are on the South Fork of eastern Long Island Island, between Westhampton and East Hampton, on the Atlantic Ocean. The Hamptons have been an exclusive summer home area for more than 100 years. Neither the Hamptons nor the North Fork are close enough to be commuter communities of New York City, which is probably why they've maintained a more rural than suburban character. 

N.B. Hanna's surf camp adventures took place in Montauk, which is the (western) end of the South Fork, but not considered part of the Hamptons. Montauk is about 15 miles east of the East Hampton.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ahpny said:

That was neither the Hamptons nor Northport. It was the "North Fork," perhaps Greenport. The North Fork is on the eastern end of Long Island between the Long Island Sound and Peconic Bay (unlabeled on the map below, but the body of water to the right of Riverhead). The North Fork has many weekend/vacation properties, but is much less developed, known and costly than the Hamptons. It currently has many vinyards and formerly had many potato farms.

Northport is also on the north shore of Long Island, but in the town of Huntington at the western edge of Suffolk County adjacent to Nassau County. It is quite pleasant, but not a vacation home area. Northport is close enough to New York City to be a suburban commuter community.  Fun fact - Patti LuPone is from Northport. 

I stand corrected. I remember them saying something that sounded like "Northport", and since Northport also has beachfront homes, I assumed that's where that episode took place.

Edited by chocolatine
16 hours ago, kieyra said:

I'd be very disappointed if the show's message is that women can only find redemption and maturity via child-rearing. 

Why  would showing something happening to one woman mean that all women can only find redemption and maturity that way? 

2 hours ago, ahpny said:

58c046fc17df4_LongIslandmap2.png.1b43e9cdb5bdfe25f667493e07397b2f.png

"The Hamptons" are on the South Fork of eastern Long Island Island, between Westhampton and East Hampton, on the Atlantic Ocean. The Hamptons have been an exclusive summer home area for more than 100 years. Neither the Hamptons nor the North Fork are close enough to be commuter communities of New York City, which is probably why they've maintained a more rural than suburban character. 

N.B. Hanna's surf camp adventures took place in Montauk, which is the (western) end of the South Fork, but not considered part of the Hamptons. Montauk is about 15 miles east of the East Hampton.

The eastern end, you mean.