Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Painful Evacuation

Tara Ariano

On 3/7/2017 at 10:19 AM, Eyes High said:

I think the Girls writers have credited Desi's actor (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) with really creating Desi as a character, in which case he deserves all the awards. Like you, Desi is usually the type of character I find repulsive, but Desi is just so, so funny to me. Apparently the bit with Desi passive-aggressively drinking the entire glass of water in one go, to Marnie's bewilderment and disgust, was Ebon's idea. I thought it was hilarious.

I did not like Desi prior to this season.  I am loving this Desi.  I laughed OUT LOUD when they were at the therapist's office and he was like, "oh my GOD!" to something Marnie said.  Also loved the long drink of water.  

On 3/7/2017 at 2:44 PM, taanja said:

Nope. I beg to differ. The best character on a show called girls is the lead-- Hanna. Period. Ray is a wishy-washy idiot. No redeeming qualities.

I would say that Hannah is the worst character, with no redeeming qualities.

On 3/8/2017 at 0:35 AM, novemberjenny said:

I really think she is. On the after the episode thing, she specifically said, "this episode starts the big season arc of Hannah's pregnancy." 

Spoiler

I remember seeing a ton of paparazzi pictures (in US Weekly or InTouch) of her filming with a huge belly.  So - I am pretty sure she is pregnant and continues with the pregnancy.

• Love 5

I started watching Girls because it reminded me of my own 20-something misadventures in the city. The girls who got pregnant in college and after moving to the city...they sort of dropped out. It's incredibly difficult and expensive to raise a child, especially solo, in a city like New York. And freelancing? I mean, I guess you don't have to worry about paid maternity leave. 

But, experience shows (now that I am a mom at 40) that girls who get pregnant in their 20s are not immune to hot mess. Not everyone immediately grows up, finds a new circle of stable, well adjusted friends, and a rewarding, stable and well paid career. The moms I see in their 20s now are still subject to the vagaries of shitty jobs, poorly chosen mates, and back stabbing "friends"...without the life experience to help them determine where to focus their energy. 

I am often reminded of the doctor in the first season who, after listening to Hannah talk about her fears about socially transmitted diseases says "you couldn't pay me to be 23 again."

I have confidence in the integrity of this show. I don't think there will be a "happy ending" where Hannah suddenly has some sort of realization, grows more mature, and abandons the mental illness that plagues her.  She may have the baby, but if she does, I don't think they'll change her (or anyone else) significantly.  That is my hope. I hope. 

Edited by guilfoyleatpp
  • Love 6

Interesting comments that make me think here.  So thanks for that.  

I do agree with the idea that using pregnancy as a trope for growing up may be a bit of but it is a fast direct way to get to the heart of the matter.  Its a short season, the last season, the season where we are supposed to the characters, if not grow up, at least finally start the journey of growing up. 

Just because its a trope or an easy vehicle for the show doesn't mean that pregnancy and kids haven't forced a lot of women to quit thinking about growing up and actively be in the midst of actually growing up, whether they are totally successful - whatever that means - or not.   So yes its sort of a disappointing vehicle but its still legitimate.  

What does growing up mean?  Just being able to support yourself (apt, groceries) and not be an economic drain on society?  Add to society through your work?  Or, as I think a lot of people think, being able to think/care about more than yourself?  And since most people cant do that until they have a child (and a depressing number even after they have children)  having children is synonomous to growing up.  

And growing up isn't an I'm not, now I am thing.  Most of us are actively trying to be better our whole lives.  Most of us think we have room for improvement our whole lives.  So yes the show probably won't tie things up in a pretty bow. 

The female writer character comments on female writers not having children makes me think that Hanna, who tends to want to do whatever is the opposite, will have the kid.  Adam seemed pretty into his sisters kid.  Maybe they'll get together?  

Speaking of Adam and Jenna, are they bipolar?

Edited by Giesela
  • Love 4

nachomama: I would argue that actually we saw, in Adam's sister, an example of really *responsible* parenting. She bailed because of what sounds like a case of postnatal depression that saw her considering harming herself and the child. The responsible thing was to remove herself so she wouldn't do those things. Granted, she did it in a cowardly way - leaving a note under the refrigerator and saying she was going out for a few minutes. But it's possible to view that as ensuring she didn't get talked out of it. She didn't leave the baby in a dumpster; she left it with its father and, since he only lived upstairs, uncle.

• Love 2

Marnie is suddenly and mysteriously living the life of a trust fund baby. What the hell. I rewatched this episode and all of her exercise commitments are incredibly expensive. Pilates is expensive. One on one it's expensive (I've done it) - group classes less so. It's not so much that she does pilates - plenty of people on a shoe string do yoga classes, pilates classes, but she apparently has several different professionally supervised physical maintenance appointments every day, gets two hour massages, and travels via uber. That's literally hundreds of dollars over and above food, rent and utilities, not to mention clothing, and on top of that she seems to have endless free time, as we see her hanging out during week days, and there's no sign of her working at night.

As far as Shoshanna knowing about Marnie and Desi, I think Shoshanna is in the trickiest position. Ray is her ex, and her current roommate. It's been his choice to continue (until now) a relationship where he's exploited and disrespected. This is also a woman who is or at least was a friend of Shoshanna's, who decided to screw Ray anyway. In the world of the show, that's apparently a pretty big deal. In the big picture, I don't think hooking up with a friend's ex is a gigantic deal, but I do think it really depends on how that original relationship ended, and how your friend feels about the person now, and if your friend is in a different, successful relationship now. I think this is something Shoshanna is playing by ear.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 1

Finally got a chance to catch up with the new season.  I don't have much to say about Hannah being pregnant, beyond "Oh my god, that poor child."  Still, I'm interested to see where the arc goes.  I know it's been done a million times on TV, but we'll see if "Girls" does it any differently.

Adam and Jessa...ugh.  To think I used to ship them.  I'm ashamed to admit it.  They were definitely high when they came up with the movie idea.  Also, Jessa is "the type of person who can support an artist"?  Jessa can't be supportive of anyone.  I actually rolled my eyes at that.

You know, as wicked as I am, part of me would be totally fine with Jessa being ditched by all three of the girls by series' end.  I know she was never particularly close with Marnie and that Shosh has pretty much written her off, so with the Hannah break-up, we're pretty much there.  Still, it would be awesome if someone, ANYONE, put her in her place and gave her a verbal smackdown on what a horrible person she is.  Jessa still wouldn't learn anything or change, but it would be satisfying.  And I think it would be totally realistic for them to completely move on from her.  That's what often happens in real life with people who use and use and use, the way Jessa does.

I liked seeing Patrick Wilson again, but, dude...you don't jump RIGHT IN to the abortion thing, then say, "Are you serious?" when your patient says she's going to keep the baby.  What the fuck was that?