Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I think the network is really trying to make Yasmin into one of their newest personalities.  She seems a really good newsperson, maybe more suited to one of the 1/2 hour newscasts; like Nora O'Donnell, Lester Holt., etc.  But I can't see her carrying a show on her own because she speaks in monotone; flat.  And I don't think she is a great interviewer; and in the 24 hour news cycle, just asking questions is not going to cut it.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I will add. I'm sick to death of Ali and Ari. I won't watch either of them anymore. 

I guess times are tough for MSNBC because it seems the recycling of show hosts is all they can do to keep the network going. Over at CNN they either  do less of that or the hosts are just better. Less annoying?

Makes me miss the good old days of MSNBC. What I wouldn't do to tune into The Countdown with Keith Olbermann or The Ed Schultz (rip) Show again.  😕

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I will add. I'm sick to death of Ali and Ari. I won't watch either of them anymore. 

I stopped watching several Ari months ago, I got sick of him and his hip hop references like he was the coolest guy on the planet.  Then Ali began to get on my nerves when the coronavirus pandemic started so I stopped watching him too. 

• Love 2

I actually like Ali Velshi.  I watched an interview with him one day when he admitted that reporting on the same story all day can be wearing.  Maybe the problem at the network is that it can only do one thing...politics.  They either cannot or won't do anything else.  

I wish they would bring on a host/show that could surprise me.  Something other than the same-old same-old.  I have to wonder how the overall ratings are doing.  CNN can run rings around them when it comes to a national crisis/hard news.

• Love 3
(edited)

I used to like Ali, but I think this coronavirus crisis is wearing on him and he's looking and sounding more agitated.  I can certainly understand how he feels but he needs to hold it together when he's reporting.  It's his job.

On a shallow note, I noticed Joshua Johnson got rid of that mohawk or whatever it was, and got a haircut.  He looks much better.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

Hosts seem to have found their stylists, or the network started to send out stylists to the anchors.  I actually prefer the pale look over the extra-eye-makeup look.  I do appreciate everyone’s efforts to be on the air.  

So wish Brian Williams would stop calling the medical professionals “doc”.  He’s got leading virologists and infectious disease experts on panels, and whenever he turns to them it’s “hey, doc”.  This is not an episode of M.A.S.H. or Bugs Bunny. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, freddi said:

So wish Brian Williams would stop calling the medical professionals “doc”.

I've never dealt with any at the level Williams is for this, but I've referred to just about every doctor I've seen as "doc".

• Love 3
2 hours ago, thosme said:

I used to enjoy watching Katy Tur at 2:00 or 12:00 where I am.  I don't think the new format with both Brian and Katy works.

I think Nicolle & Brian work well together ... same sense of humour!!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

The only time we see Katy Tur is when she subs for Chuck. This past Monday she looked different. My husband thought she looked very tired (maybe Teddy Bear is costing her some sleepless nights?) 

Yes, I agree.  I thought she looked really rough ... maybe her baby is sick???

I have read in a few places that CNN is doing very well in the ratings; don't know about MSNBC.  One problem is not picking someone to fill the 7:00 hour since Chris Matthews was "departed".  There are times I tune in during the afternoon and find Ari Melbar; sometimes Nicole Wallace comes on at 3:30.  I don't pay attention at 5:00 because I watch local news instead of Chuck Todd.  He is never an option.

I know networks are scrambling due to the daily press briefings from the White House on the Virus.  But I sure wish the appearances and shuffling of the anchors on MSNBC were more settled.  It cannot be hard to replace Matthews; and besides, nothing in life or network news is permanent.  

An aside...CNN's coverage is pretty good; not just the Virus coverage but they cover all news.  I don't see how MSNBC can continue with good ratings when it is all politics all the time.  

• Love 2

I don't know if MSNBC has ever covered general news. It's always seemed (to me) to be politically oriented. Maybe in its early years it covered the news???  Let's hope that by the time MSNBC staff can return to the studios, that TPTB will have hired a host for the 7:00 PM time slot. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't know if MSNBC has ever covered general news. It's always seemed (to me) to be politically oriented. Maybe in its early years it covered the news???

That's an interesting question. I mean, there's nothing in the original partnership of Microsoft and NBC News that suggests it had to be a left-ish channel. Other than the general tendency of NBC News to be part of the liberal lamestream media ™.

I suspect it quickly became liberal-left, but still was able to cover more than one story at a time from that point of view. Unlike later. Like, they might cover the story about the little girl trapped in the well, but only if they could do it from the angle that the rescue forces were underfunded due to tax cuts for the wealthy. Or something.

• Love 3
On 4/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I don't know if MSNBC has ever covered general news. It's always seemed (to me) to be politically oriented. Maybe in its early years it covered the news???  Let's hope that by the time MSNBC staff can return to the studios, that TPTB will have hired a host for the 7:00 PM time slot. 

The DNA of the network is more talking heads than hard news. It was a replacement for Roger Ailes'(!) America's Talking network and there was a lot of internal corporate politics at play that kept it from really ever trying to go in that direction early on, including a desire among the execs to differentiate themselves from CNN and avoid compteting head to head, and CNBC and NBC News not wanting the new network poaching on their turf. MSNBC really only goes in that direction when there is something so big and important going on in the world that that there is an overwheliming audience demand for actual facts and the top brass wants to be ready if they have to cut in to the broadcast network feed (the aftermath of 9/11 comes to mind) or if ratings are in the tank and they can't agree on new hosts.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:55 AM, Milburn Stone said:

That's an interesting question. I mean, there's nothing in the original partnership of Microsoft and NBC News that suggests it had to be a left-ish channel. Other than the general tendency of NBC News to be part of the liberal lamestream media ™.

I suspect it quickly became liberal-left, but still was able to cover more than one story at a time from that point of view. Unlike later. Like, they might cover the story about the little girl trapped in the well, but only if they could do it from the angle that the rescue forces were underfunded due to tax cuts for the wealthy. Or something.

I would say that it became more liberal because Fox News so thoroughly staked out the conservative territory it was the only way to go given that there was a reluctance to go straight news for the reasons I mentioned above. Also CNN was following the lead of their new competitors and going for more cheap non-event dependent personality driven talking heads programming so the centrist lane was being occupied by a competitor who could hire away their most successful talent if they tried to go that way just as Fox hired most of the early right wing pundits and hosts. Microsoft probably had some influence as well as their other high profile venture into journalism was Slate which also has a liberal editorial viewpoint.

Edited by wknt3
revised and extended my remarks
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3

Although I generally watch MSNBC  over CNN. there are times when I want straight news, not commentary.  And, there are certain CNN hosts that I prefer over MSNBC hosts for news stories .

There are also a few MSNBC shows that are must see for me even if I watch them on demand.

And there are some shows that need to be retired.  Not just the host.  Move on.

The most annoying thing, to me, right now, is, how often I turn on MSNBC and hear an anchor almost gleefully reporting COVID 19 cases and deaths. 

Although I hope to see some new anchors in some of the vacant spots, I have very little faith in anyone interesting being chosen because it's usually a weak spot for MSNBC. 

• Love 3

Good God...just don't let them pick what's-his-name (the one who is just-too-much for the camera). I saw him earlier this afternoon, interviewing kids about life in the shut down. There's just something about him that doesn't come across as professional, smooth, whatever.  He needs to return to NPR.  Some folks are better on radio than TV and he's def one of them.

• LOL 3
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good God...just don't let them pick what's-his-name (the one who is just-too-much for the camera). I saw him earlier this afternoon, interviewing kids about life in the shut down. There's just something about him that doesn't come across as professional, smooth, whatever.  He needs to return to NPR.  Some folks are better on radio than TV and he's def one of them.

Joshua Johnson 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I commented about Joshua Johnson a couple weeks ago, I think.  He was speaking, acting agitated, throwing his hands around and the other analysts just stared at him like he was out of his mind.  I've seen him other times and he was calm and collected, but if he continues this erratic behavior, he needs to go. 

I know there have been others who were erratic, like Chris Matthews who foamed at the mouth, but they had paid their dues doing news coverage over the years and so they got a pass.   But even Chris reached his expiration date.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

This pains me to type this, but I feel that Lawrence O'Donnell maybe has reached the expiration date.  I have always really liked him; and liked his smooth style and subtle snark.  But he is starting to wear a bit thin; a lot of his guests/reporting is plain sensationalism; even before this Virus.  I was furious when MSNBC was thinking about giving his 10:00 slot to someone else; cannot remember who.  But now I would not mind a change providing it isn't someone with tics and smugness.  Or a refugee from another news station who can wear thin. See Megan Kelly and Greta Van Susteren.  

So...the Island of the Broken Toys (or whatever it is called) can add:  Chuck Todd, Lawrence O'Donnell, Andrea Mitchell, Joy Reid (I don't know why I can't bear her).  Unpopular opinion:  I wouldn't mind seeing Brian Williams get the 7:00 slot.  I just don't care for the patchwork, musical chairs that the network is using right now.  I'm tuning to CNN more and more.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I just don't care for the patchwork, musical chairs that the network is using right now.  I'm tuning to CNN more and more.  

If what you mean by "patchwork musical chairs" is that tuning in at 8 central is not guaranteed to get you the Rachel Maddow Show (even with a sub), and tuning in at 9 central is not guaranteed to get you The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell (even with a sub), then I agree with you 100%. It's not a substitute host problem. It's a substitute show problem. They're sabotaging themselves.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

My last comment (hopefully) about Joshua Johnson and then I'll leave him alone:  I watched him yesterday and I figured out my main issue with him is that he flails his hands when he's speaking.  If he stopped doing that then he'd look more professional. 

• LOL 2

A definite bright spot on MSNBC is that they moved Ayman Mohyeldin into the 10 am M - F hour.

Stephanie Rhule is a true gem for this network.  She doesn't scream and say crazy things when reporting on the economy and she's broken down in tears on occasion when reporting a heartbreaking story. 

So they have the ability to find good people but they also have a knack for finding and/or keeping the worse. 

• Love 5

I read this morning, again, that CNN is surging in the ratings.  Not good enough for Number One, but apparently much better than normal.  I have to wonder if people tuned in to see Chris Cuomo broadcasting from his basement while he was sick.  

• Love 3
On 4/27/2020 at 9:34 PM, HyeChaps said:

I have it on very good authority that no one should take any inference out of Chuck anchoring with Katy at 1:00 and 2:00.  

Just a matter of allocating resources.

Hey MSNBC: allocate this... switch their time slots instead! 

• Love 1

Steve Kornacki is back this week. 

Still wearing the same God awful pants. For the love of God, buy a pair of pants. You'll have to order them online but believe me,  it's easy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, tres bien said:

Steve Kornacki is back this week. 

Still wearing the same God awful pants. For the love of God, buy a pair of pants. You'll have to order them online but believe me,  it's easy.

Awww...he's a good kid (ok--he's almost 40 but he still has that kid look, like Dick Clark always had). I never noticed his pants other than they're khaki, right?  He and that other guy on cable news crack me up with their forever-rolled up sleeves (that guy on CNBC, Jim whatsishame??). Cramer! Jim Cramer, who's forever yelling 📣

Edited by annzeepark914
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, gatopretoNYC said:

I posted this link on that odd NBC thread (or whatever it's called)...don't think anyone visits that place. Anyway, good riddance to another warped top broadcasting executive. He had to have known about Lauer's criminal offenses against female employees. 

• Love 8
(edited)

As someone who's utterly insane about dogs, I loved seeing John Hellermann's Great Dane wandering around behind him during his segment a few weeks ago. And I loved it even more a few days later when another one actually joined him at his desk for a few minutes!

It's adorable the way reporter's pets have become a part of their broadcasts. Some by accident, others because the reporter themself has decided to include them.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 6

About ten minutes ago, I was watching a reporter in DC talking about the IG who was fired for investigating Pompeo.  Behind the reporter was some kid on a skateboard who kept skating back and forth and was showing off because he knew he was on camera.  Then he tried to do some trick, and just as I yelled "asshole!" at the tv, the kid fell on his ass.  Then he got up and walked away.  The camera guys probably laughed.  I know I did.  😂 

• LOL 5
22 hours ago, Camille said:

As someone who's utterly insane about dogs, I loved seeing John Hellermann's Great Dane wandering around behind him during his segment a few weeks ago. And I loved it even more a few days later when another one actually joined him at his desk for a few minutes!

It's adorable the way reporter's pets have become a part of their broadcasts. Some by accident, others because the reporter themself has decided to include them.

PBS News did a fun segment re: reporters' pets the other night. Viewers write in wanting to know about the pets & a few got worried if the pets stopped showing up. Heilman's two huge Great Danes are stunning. I hope he doesn't live in a condo or apt. 

• Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

PBS News did a fun segment re: reporters' pets the other night.

It's too bad I missed that.

15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Heilman's two huge Great Danes are stunning. I hope he doesn't live in a condo or apt. 

I'm from NYC. You'd be stunned at how many huge dog owners make it work despite living in shoebox apartments. And even dogs that aren't huge--golden retrievers aren't big, but they're bundles of energy who want/need to run around constantly.

I think Heilemann lives in Manhattan, but even if he does, I'm sure with his salary, he's got a large apartment where the dogs probably have lots of room. Their OWN room, even.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2
(edited)
57 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

PBS News did a fun segment re: reporters' pets the other night. Viewers write in wanting to know about the pets & a few got worried if the pets stopped showing up. Heilman's two huge Great Danes are stunning. I hope he doesn't live in a condo or apt. 

Great Danes are the dogs that would be happy any place.  They're as lazy as pet coons, but will go anywhere you want.  A very versatile doggy.

Sorry @Camille, I didn't see your post.  We agree!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 4
On 4/7/2020 at 10:34 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I can't get enough of Brian's "snide"!!!  Go Brian!!!

I love Brian. No matter what he talks about, he's not as hysterical as some on the network. I like his more casual way of talking to people, and making it feel like we all know each other. Last night he had "The Dogist" Elias Weiss Friedman, who photographs dogs and has recently adopted a dog. They featured a shelter in FL that had adopted out all their dogs. I was in tears by the time the segment was over. It wasn't especially sad, just so touching.  "Their job is to love us forever". 

And to start the day, I really like Yasmin.  She is able to express snark without being overt about it. She's professional and funny.   She isn't esp political, but she does not suffer fools. 

On 5/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, Camille said:

You'd be stunned at how many huge dog owners make it work despite living in shoebox apartments. And even dogs that aren't huge--golden retrievers aren't big, but they're bundles of energy who want/need to run around constantly.

Yasmin has three Labs chocolate, yellow and black. They all started barking the other morning during her broadcast. I was like "Am I hearing dogs?" She put a picture of them on her Twitter feed.  So 3 dogs and 2 toddlers and she's on air at 5 am.  

• Love 3
22 hours ago, tres bien said:

Why does Katy Tur have to share her hour with Chuck Todd? 😠

I thought MSNBC was removing him from MTP Daily. But now he's not only still on at 5:00 PM (Tuesday-Friday), he's also horning in on KT's show. I know *he* didn't make the decision to do this, so what's going on at MSNBC? Sure, we're in a pandemic but heck, it keeps homebound people glued to TV news programs. Why haven't TPTB taken advantage of this rare time in TV history to place new hosts at 5 and 7 PM? There's something odd about MSNBC & I can't quite figure it out.

• Love 5

It almost seems as if the Network is in flux; waiting for I don't know what.  Maybe the new honcho is taking his time making decisions.  I think Meet the Press may get decent ratings - that is the only reason I think Chuck T is still employed.  They haven't filled the 7:00 slot yet; which makes me think we will hear some announcements all at once.  Hopefully.

I also wonder if the network decides to save money on studio space and let reporters do their thing from their homes could be permanent.  

• Love 2

I have it on very good authority that the network is having a spectacular new space in downtown DC prepared, but current events have prevented the move.

Also, employees working from home probably won't be back until Labor Day.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

I have it on very good authority that the network is having a spectacular new space in downtown DC prepared, but current events have prevented the move

Uh-oh. Hope that doesn't mean they're creating a new set (replacing Hardball) for that former NPR guy. 

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, tres bien said:

I'm on a self imposed ban from CNN.

I don't know how long I'll hold out. I can't stand most of the anchors on MSNBC. 

Well, there's always local news + the regular (the big three) broadcasting networks. Their ratings have soared in the past few months. I'm personally happy with Deadline:White House thanks to the presence of some really excellent journalists + a few political analysts. If Katy Tur were given the 5:00 slot, that would be a bonus! 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, there's always local news + the regular (the big three) broadcasting networks. Their ratings have soared in the past few months. I'm personally happy with Deadline:White House thanks to the presence of some really excellent journalists + a few political analysts. If Katy Tur were given the 5:00 slot, that would be a bonus! 

ITA

But there are quite a few (especially weekend) anchors that I can't bear and Andrea Mitchell just needs to be retired. 

• Love 2