Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I think UP does pretty well in the 8-10 slot so he will probably get that and I'm ok with moving David--I really like him and that late afternoon slot has been kind of all over the place--with them testing newer people on and off--they've also had new people doing the early early slot before UP when Alex doesn't do that and some of them would be ok.   David is going to need to change his pastry tray to sandwiches or something---:)

I would like to see Geoff Bennett or Jonathan Capehart or Zerlina Maxwell get a shot.   I also like Maya Wiley and I'm really surprised they haven't had her cover for someone --usually that is when they are trying someone out--she's on Ari Melber and other shows almost every day--I'd think she would be able to transition to hosting.

Ali getting the teaching job at Wharton is pretty great--and I think his wife lives and works in PA so maybe that is going to allow them to be together more.

This is going to mess up my weekends--usually if I have to go out I wait until Joy is off and go,  Now I'll have to record the afternoon or stay home!

• Love 1
On 12/20/2019 at 6:48 PM, car54 said:

I also like Maya Wiley and I'm really surprised they haven't had her cover for someone --usually that is when they are trying someone out--she's on Ari Melber and other shows almost every day--I'd think she would be able to transition to hosting.

I agree, she'd be awesome.

• Love 3

Yasmin Vossoughian and Geoff Bennett have been doing a yeoman's job of holding down the fort on MSNBC over the holidays.   I hope TPTB are taking notice of how well they've done, not just that they put in the hours.  

• Love 3

No love lost for Chuck Todd.  See ya!  However, I'm not a fan of Nicole Wallace even if she's a "rising star."  Yasmin always looks bored and I'm not a fan of hers either.  She puts me to sleep.

The article also mentions that Stephanie Ruhle will be a business correspondent.  When I first saw her she was on Bloomberg Television and I thought she was good discussing business and economic issues.  Then when she got her own morning show on MSNBC I couldn't stand her and how she interacted with guests.  So it's probably a good thing that she's returning to her wheelhouse and what she's good at. 

• Love 3

Of course Chuck doesn't want the 9am slot.  It would interfere with his picking football games on the Tony Kornheiser podcast...  

Sometimes I'm glad I have a job so I don't end up watching this stuff all day long.   

• Love 4

Chuck probably sees that 9 a.m. slot as a step backward, because if I recall correctly, he had that hour with Savannah Guthrie before she went to Today and he went to MTP.   I can't stand him and would be overjoyed if he left the network altogether, as he "threatened".  He's the male version of Andrea Mitchell:  She can't finish a sentence and he can't seem to begin one.  

Count me in the Nicolle camp.   I'd love to see her get a 2 hour show.   She's smart, has government service experience, has a great sense of humor and keeps the conversation flowing.   She even got Steve Schmidt to almost smile once or twice, which is no small feat.

• Love 5

Adios, Chuck (hand clap!)  I won't miss him or his irritating claps, but not sure re:  adding another hour to Nicolle's show. She has the best/most interesting journalists, IMO. But one hour may be enough (Nicolle's laughter gets carried away a few times during each show--I wish someone would tell her to stop this). Wish her show would switch to 5:00 and put Katy Tur at 4:00. Or (& this just occurred to me) replace Chuck with Katy Tur...yeah!!!!!!   

• Love 3

I think now would be the perfect time to shake things up at the network.  We are heading into the primaries and election; why keep the status quo if something is not working?  And Chuck Todd, bless him, has never worked for me. I do think he has over-estimated his "star power" a bit. Give Katie Tur the MTP duties - or someone who can think on their feet.  If you are a seasoned professional....it should not be a problem.   AnzeePark...I just read your post - we agree on Katy Tur!  Also, unpopular opinion, but I am not a KC/DC fan.  The above picture of her...are we sure that is her?  It does't look like her but it has been awhile since she has been on.

And yes from a post above....I love Nicole W's show but one hour might be enough.  It is time for a shuffle at the network.  

I didn't know Chuck T did some sports stuff with Tony K...my favorite columnist/ESPN person - from his days at The Washington Post.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I didn't know Chuck T did some sports stuff with Tony K...my favorite columnist/ESPN person - from his days at The Washington Post. 

TK has a (sorta) daily podcast (in other words, he works whenever he feels like it, which is most days that aren't in the summer).  During football season, he has a few folks drop by weekly to pick games, Chuck being one of them (one of the other ones is Carville, who is practically unintelligible but still funny).  Chuck is kinda amusing on the subject of football.  Maybe he should go into sports full time. 

In all honesty, I'm not sure I can fully recommend TK's show anymore as I feel it's a shadow of what it once was.  I still listen, but I've been listening to him on the radio since the mid 90s, so it's a habit. Just warning you if you decide to try to listen. 

• Love 1

I used to read Kornheiser's columns in the Post, never listened to him on the radio, but I love him on Pardon the Interruption with Wilbon.

Grumpy ol' OK Boomer here:  I don't need to see anymore baby pictures on social media.  All babies are cute and adorable.  I hope the trend ends soon but I doubt it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Starting February 16th Andrew Zimmern, chef and former host of Bizarre Foods, will have a five part series. 

What's Eating America will start with five episodes and could be extended. 

Also, CNN has hired longtime CNBC reporter John Harwood as White House correspondent. 

Edited by tres bien

Chris Jansing has been getting a lot of midday replacement work for Ruhle and Velshi, in the past couple of weeks.  And two hours today, also filling in on Velshi’s solo hour.  Always glad to see her.  

• Love 5

Shep Smith on MSNBC? That's a mistake. The head honchos at NBC/MSNBC keep trying to move over ex-Fox talent to their network not realizing that the stench of Fox News can't be washed away. How many millions did they lose with Greta Von Sustren and Megyn Kelly? Between that and the increasing number of white Republicans on MSNBC it sure seems like they are trying to turn MSNBC into Fox Lite. 

Also, what will it take to have Brian Williams no longer hosting big nights on MSNBC? He is dumber than a box of rocks and brings down the entire discourse. The entire panel becomes more vapid when he is the anchor.

• Love 6
On 2/18/2020 at 3:19 AM, pivot said:

what will it take to have Brian Williams no longer hosting big nights on MSNBC? He is dumber than a box of rocks and brings down the entire discourse. The entire panel becomes more vapid when he is the anchor

I couldn't agree more!    And he makes the corniest jokes/puns/whatever you call the stupid wordplay crap he pulls.   Don't even get me started on his smug demeanor and pompous tone.  He's MSNBC's version of Thurston Howell.  
He just isn't smart enough for this gig. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Ehhh, I was going to make a comment about MSNBC's debate coverage while carefully leaving out anything that could lead to political discussion, and damn, that's hard. So in the immortal words of Emily Latella, "Nevermind."

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
Just now, Kemper said:

Weren't there threads started for Ari Melbar and Nicole Wallace's shows?  I think I actually posted something but now I can't find them.  

They got deleted. I don't think new threads for shows like that are allowed anymore. The long standing threads for other similar shows seemed to remain because they were already in place before the politics guidelines were created.

• Love 1
On 1/7/2020 at 7:10 PM, HyeChaps said:

I have it on very good authority that MTP Daily will not be cancelled.  Moved, maybe, but not cancelled.

Memo to MSNBC: If you must move MTP Daily, move it to 2:00 so Katy Tur can be the host. IMNSHO, she's your best host & really would be great at the 5PM time slot.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Chis Mathews is old and needs to retire. He's embarrassing himself.

Watching him "interview" Elizabeth Warren last night was just pitiful.  I totally agree with you.

Also, watching Lawrence O'Donnell avoid looking at James Carville was hilarious.  (I may not totally agree with Carville, but I love his passion!!!)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I agree.  I've really liked Spittin' and Sputterin' Chris over the years but it's time for him to be put out to pasture.  Maybe come back as a guest analyst from time to time.

• Love 2

I didn't see the Matthews/Warren interview but apparently he has stepped in it again.  There are more calls for the network to let him go.  He has always been an interrupter, spitter and shouter.  He has also always been passionate about his subject.  The network has a dilemma coming - how to gracefully handle the situation before people start calling for boycotts. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

They can always use a

medical excuse. 

I'm surprised one hasn't been dragged out by now to try and excuse Chris's recent behavior which has seemed worse then usual. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 2/26/2020 at 10:43 AM, xaxat said:

I don't know if it's his age necessarily, or his extremely high opinion of himself, but I agree that he embarrasses himself every night.   The constant interrupting is more than I can bear; I switch the channel more and more often.   Why does he even bother having guests on when he much prefers listening to himself sputter and bloviate.  What really bugs the crap out of me is when a guest is just on the verge of making an important point and Chris jumps in, cuts them off and starts yammering away with his own opinion.   HATE that.  MSNBC needs to come up with a plan to let Chris exit gracefully - to save face - and give his spot to someone who can conduct actual question and answer sessions.  I know he loves what he does, but there comes a time to hang it up . . . . .

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Evidently Chris resigned after being accused of inappropriate behavior.

After having watched him interact with women on camera, I'd be very willing to buy this. The kinds of things he thought it was ok to say on air...I'd be surprised if he didn't say much worse off camera.

I wonder if MSNBC is trying to protect themselves from legal liability on something?

• Love 5

Well, they did not waste any time making this change (not even a transition).  Apparently they let him make his own announcement, then went to break -- then the show.

This will be very hard for him, but it is past time.  No, this "retirement" was not voluntary.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Okay, now Steve Kornacki gave a strong, three-minute, emotional thanks to Chris Mathews, talking about what Chris meant to him in Steve's life -- and ended in tears.  It was very heartfelt.  (Not sure we can say this here, so put it in a different post.) 

Now Chris Hayes is thanking him and remembering him from his "dorm room" viewing.  Chris Hayes also got choked up.  

• Love 7