Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, KatebytheSea said:

I noticed that Allie, Raylee and Heather H's DCC Twitters are down, but Holly's is still up.  Erica's is as well. Guess DCC is waiting till those separation eps air...?

That's  kind of dumb.  Anyone who's checking social media accounts, already knows they're gone.  We may not have all the details, but we know the outcome.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Simone's solo. Not impressed with it especially since she is trying out for her third year. This does not say third year vet to me.

I was surprised by Simone's audition. I am curious why the girl from LSU got cut when she seemed like a stronger candidate. Was her name Katelynn?

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, ajmm0106 said:

I was surprised by Simone's audition. I am curious why the girl from LSU got cut when she seemed like a stronger candidate. Was her name Katelynn?

I wish we could see more complete solos. While I'm sure that this was not one of the best solos, I don't know how it compares to the vast majority of them.  

I do think that Katelyn was screwed however. To not even take her into training camp makes no sense. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, JayDKay said:

I wonder when we will see the official squad photo. In previous years they showed it at the meet the team event. 

I don't think the squad photo has even been taken yet. I believe it was scheduled to be taken on August 22 this year - super late!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, hypeman said:

That's  kind of dumb.  Anyone who's checking social media accounts, already knows they're gone.  We may not have all the details, but we know the outcome.

Yeah, it's dumb. So Erica and Holly can't tweet until the episodes air that show them being released/quitting? Do they honestly think that people (who care enough to know) haven't figured out that they're no longer on the team. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Claire is the only all star in this pic.

Danielle, Jessica, Amy T are the other All Stars.

This picture is from last year...Amy L's (2nd from left) hair is long (she cut it last spring) and you can see little Heather in the background.

IMG_2044.JPG

Edited by Taryn Tempestwind
  • Love 2

Because she posted it and is she group leader.  Though I think the are equally dumb for putting themselves in that position.

I mean, different strokes for different folks. Regardless, it's a PR risk. I mean they tell them specifically not to dress in blackface and show them a picture of Whitney -- are these girls that dumb that they do not realize it applies to different cultures too? Do they need that spelled out? Is it an actual value if the organization, or is it only an issue if they get caught?

It's not going to offend some people -- some people, some places and some markets are more progressive than others. It may not be an issue in Dallas -- it absolutely would be in others.

Edited by Dccfan126
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, FutureDCC said:

Don't know how to link yet so I took a screenshot.

Did anyone see Christina's bad jump split? Maybe it was just poor timing and she really did make it all the way up there, but based on our previous knowledge of her flexibility issues, this makes me cringe. 

Snip20170820_14.png

To me, this is why you don't take someone when it's their 5th time trying out. Sorry if that's mean. She's had issues with this the whole time, it's not like she has magically improved after all these years.

• Love 13

I believe I have seen the offending filter (I assume these are SM filters and not costumes) used previously in another DCC's (now retired) Instagram post of her group sometime in the recent past (last 2-3 years).  But I may be recalling that incorrectly.  (Instagram, seriously?  Why does a major social media company keep around a filter that they know some people find culturally insensitive?!?)

However the long knives are clearly out today for a DCC favorite who has recently been promoted to a more prominent position.  Wonder why?  Now I am not saying that the criticism is without merit (though I did flag one post as potentially damaging to a person's reputation for labeling them something), but I am always curious when an account is opened to launch such an incendiary 'fireball'.  

As for the DCC in question, we all make mistakes of judgment, sometimes big ones, and it is how we learn from those mistakes that is important.  Hold your head up, and hold yourself to a high standard.  

Edited by California Girl
  • Love 1

I'm sure that all the girls, K&J and others saw everything that led up to that pic. My thought is if no one said don't post on social media, no one thought it was a risk. I'm not expecting any disciplinary action over it.  I'm a minority, not hispanic, and I don't think it's too bad. Stereotypical, yes, but not racist. It's not nearly on the same scale as whitneys costume. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, FutureDCC said:

Did anyone see Christina's bad jump split? Maybe it was just poor timing and she really did make it all the way up there, but based on our previous knowledge of her flexibility issues, this makes me cringe. 

Snip20170820_14.png

I watched video from the game to look at Christina's jump split and she jumped at the right time but she doesn't jump very high. This picture was likely taken when everyone was on the way down and Christina had already hit her split in the air. Everyone around her has a great jump split and height....Keyra, Jenna, Jessika, and Amy L. They'll come down milliseconds apart. On the teams I've been on I had a higher jumpsplit than many people around me and so long as they weren't jumping off count I would not feel the difference. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, FutureDCC said:

Snip20170820_14.png

The brunette on the very left isn't a whole lot better.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

I'm sure that all the girls, K&J and others saw everything that led up to that pic. My thought is if no one said don't post on social media, no one thought it was a risk. I'm not expecting any disciplinary action over it.  I'm a minority, not hispanic, and I don't think it's too bad. Stereotypical, yes, but not racist. It's not nearly on the same scale as whitneys costume. 

Agree mostly with this. I don't like the picture, and I think they should have known that it could be perceived poorly - there have been multiple sororities and frats caught up in controversies for similar pictures, but its hardly the worst thing out there (if not for the fake mustaches, I don't think I would've looked twice tbh). It's certainly not on the level of blackface IMO. I also feel like there have been a lot of really personal attacks lobbed at the DCC women recently IMO that seem unwarranted. As I said earlier, I don't follow Kashara on social media, so I have no idea what is there or not, but I haven't seen anything to suggest she's a racist or of questionable character on the show or otherwise. She seems extremely well-liked by her teammates, which isn't proof positive of anything, but that means more than anything from anonymous sources, to me at least.  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I think they should have known that it could be perceived poorly

Yeah, I highly doubt they meant anything negative by it, but I can't believe they'd be naive enough to think there wouldn't be at least one person out there who would have a problem with it.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Dopeydwarf said:

Who is "cut out" of the photo? (on our right)  The dance academy logo is on her, so you can't see.  

DCC veterans Amy, Cersten, Erica, Heather, KaShara, Lacey, Maggie and Milan. Three rookie hopeful Gina, Erin and Brianna.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, JerseyGirl said:

DCC veterans Amy, Cersten, Erica, Heather, KaShara, Lacey, Maggie and Milan. Three rookie hopeful Gina, Erin and Brianna.

I'm sorry. Whose face is covered by the dance academy logo? I don't know all the girls yet.

So, to change the subject, let me say that I think Christina should keep her hair short and not grow it out. It looks a bit longer in the recent pictures and I think longer hair makes her face look overly narrow and long. I'm shocked at how pretty she looks with her shorter, brighter 'do. I used to think she looked mousy.  I'm still not a fan, more because of her kicks, splits, and inconsistent performance power. But she seems sweet. I hope she's having the time of her life this year because as I said, I think she might be a one and done.  I'm also still not actively a Maddie fan, but the video of her solo gave me a glimpse of what people find so captivating about her dancing. Usually, I don't really feel it. I think the dance tried to show a more mature performer, not just a cute young girl, while staying true to herself--which is what Kelli told her she wanted to see. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, WichitaStateShock said:

In the jump split photo, who is the brunette that has a low split?

At 1st I thought Kelsey, but her kicks are too good.  Alexis maybe?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Tootie said:

Taryn just posted on her IG that she is going back to the AAIA!!!  I'm so glad, since DC training camp was extended this year and she missed out on auditions.

Taryn AAIA.jpg

I wonder if they just let her back on or if they made her go threw a mini audition since she missed auditions 

13 minutes ago, ByTor said:

At 1st I thought Kelsey, but her kicks are too good.  Alexis maybe?

To me it looks like Alexis 

22 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

Is anybody else getting sick of that HandsClap song the DCC have danced to? That thing is going to get worn out real quick, real soon. I would rather hear Rhianna sing SOS from 2006. 

Chantel at first glance reminds me of Kyndall.

Dang, those shorts are tiny! 

It is funny because I always think the same thing that Chantel looks soo much and Kyndall in many ways !

As far as " HandsClap"- if you mean this one- I think it is pretty entertaining... ( I must be missing something LOL )

• Love 1

A few comments, KaShara is adorable and a great dancer, but "point" isn't working for her now. She looks somewhat wide (even though I know she's not) and does not exude the enthusiasm and excitement that we've come to expect from the cheerleader in this position. I'm sure she'll grow in this position if she remains there, but at this point she doesn't "draw in the viewer". Jenna, even though she seems to be disliked by a lot on this board, is a strong dancer with an enthusiasm that draws in the viewer. With the loss of so many strong dancers, the DCC are fortunate that she is still on the team and able to take on a leadership role. Sure, she screwed up, and it cost her BIG TIME. As a DCC, going to the HOF induction and game was a once in a lifetime opportunity and she was unable to go and will never have that opportunity again. It was a hard lesson to learn I'm sure.

Christina, I was so excited to see her make the team. However, if those are her kicks, she's in big trouble. Overall, the rookies are a strong group of dancers and will fit in with the veterans easily. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I think Kashara is great at point. She has pop and power, and she knows how to hold a crowd.  She's approachable, and she's looks like she's having a blast. She also has a ton of teaching experience - besides actually having a teaching degree, she's taught tumbling and cheer with her mother for years. Kashara can dance, and she has the maturity and leadership skills that go a long way with an organization that's been full of immature, rule breaking divas. 

She knows she isn't the thinnest or the most glamorous, but she may be one of the most reliable and drama free girls on the squad. Plus she's just so fun to watch. I love her at point.

I actually prefer her body over a super tiny body

• Love 21

@AZloverI agree with you somewhat, but honestly Jenna doesn't do it for me at point. In the few times she's been seen in that position she's seemed very... plastic(?) Great dancer but not point material IMO.  Maybe with the recent attitude adjustment she got, she would look like she values being at point and would be more engaging. Kash I think does a good job and seems to be enjoying herself but, I think they should swap her with Lacey. Lacey to me seems extremely undervalued by K & J. She's an incredible dancer, always looks great from 1st qrtr to 4th, and is a fantastic ambassador for the team. She's also grounded & mature enough to stay out of trouble.

I guess we all have our favorites, lol.

• Love 7

@Java I think there are several girls who would be great at point. Don't get me wrong, I thing KaShara will grow in the position just at this time she doesn't exude power and excitement. Cersten would be another candidate to try and I agree with your take on Lacey, classy and beautiful dancer. Does she have the power, I think so. Whoever is point needs to "bring it" to motivate the girls as they dance.

• Love 1

Regarding KaShara as point, I just don't think they have that many amazing dancers right now.  Good ones, yes; but with the departures of Holly, Melissa, Erica, etc., what they have left is (in comparison), pretty meh.  

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Me, too! She's toned and fit, but not hard or stringy. Some of these girls lately just look way too hard.

I'm not a fan of the 12% body fat six pack abs some of these girls have. Looks like they should be at a bikini competition.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Smplsimon said:

Regarding KaShara as point, I just don't think they have that many amazing dancers right now.  Good ones, yes; but with the departures of Holly, Melissa, Erica, etc., what they have left is (in comparison), pretty meh.  

Yeah - I agree that it is slim pickens as far as good dancers go on the DCC.  I'm not sure who I'd put at point if it were up to me - maybe Lacey  cause she's probably the best veteran dancer and doesn't have issues w/ weight or behavior. 

• Love 3

I think Jenna is a better point - leadership/discipline faults aside, she has totally mastered the DCC style, but I don't think she's that much better for it to be a big deal.  Kashara is a great, charismatic dancer as well, and I think her body style is appealing to fans. Most men I know like to see some curves and many women have them, so I think her body is fine.  I wouldn't mind Lacey and Cersten and maybe even Robin getting a shot there as well. I actually hope they rotate some. 

Point is the least of the team's issues IMO. I think the bigger problem is the team seems to lack some power. I thought I was being harsh, but my sister who watches the show but doesn't follow message boards or anything, commented on it after watching the group 1 video posted on  twitter yesterday. She commented that several of them kind of looked like backup dancers...

I also should point out that she didn't realize Katelyn didn't make training camp until I told her. They completely glossed over it on the show.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I think Kashara is great at point. She has pop and power, and she knows how to hold a crowd.  She's approachable, and she's looks like she's having a blast. She also has a ton of teaching experience - besides actually having a teaching degree, she's taught tumbling and cheer with her mother for years. Kashara can dance, and she has the maturity and leadership skills that go a long way with an organization that's been full of immature, rule breaking divas. 

She knows she isn't the thinnest or the most glamorous, but she may be one of the most reliable and drama free girls on the squad. Plus she's just so fun to watch. I love her at point.

This 100 % ☝️

• Love 3
11 hours ago, FutureDCC said:

11 hours ago, FutureDCC said:

Snip20170820_14.png

Wow, this is just pitiful. How did this girl make the team?? 

• Love 5