Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

Of all things, this spins off a discussion of the Kardashians---most particularly the ridiculous parody video a then-turning 30 Kris Jenner/Kardashian did off of Randy Newman's I Love L.A. video back when she was living it up in the 80s. 

Anyway, Kris didn't really seem to get what Newman's video was about--a celebration of L.A., but also a bittersweet one. In her version Kris swans around with altered versions of Newman's lyrics talking about how she loves to party with her friends, and in Newman's original he shows us (admittedly subtly enough most people don't even GET it and think it's just a happy celebration of LA, that there are different neighborhoods besides the rich ones, and that there are homeless/poor people there too). To me, Newman's video actually really DOES perfectly represent L.A. of 1983 (Kris' "version" seemed to be done perhaps a year later).

Anyway, I won't even post Kris's ruination here. You can go here to see and discuss it: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/38619-the-kardashian-kvetching-korner/page-3#entry2028110

But here's Newman's video, so well representing both the shiny happy LA of 1983, as well as just hinting (because it was so hidden sometimes) the underbelly. He doesn't hit up the simmering racial tensions underneath--misses out on that--although I suppose it is at least hinted at by showing different neighborhoods, rich and poor. The main symbolism is the bum and the way Newman drives between rich and poor sections right next to each other.

I also after that had YT refer me to another video I LOVE from the early 80s, and always have, that even back then felt SO representative of the whole age. To me, Huey Lewis & The News'  If This Is It, set on the LA beach, is again another happy go lucky representation, but to the zeitgeist (yes, I know how some people HATE that term), this was the same Beachy L.A. that Baywatch later pressed into people's minds. I see this and know better as to how representative it really is, but it feels in my heart like the very embodiment of the early 1980s (L.A. Division). Even more than Newman's video.

So what videos represent/encapsulize whole eras and/or important places to you?

• Love 2

Cool topic! For me, pretty much anything from the first year or two of MTV -- after school (high school), we'd go to my friend's house and watch.

The 80s is easy, because the videos FEEL like the 80s. The way they look, dress, act, etc. It's tougher to find videos that pinpoint a specific place as well as the time though.

The 90s is tougher. The people in it can be picked out as of that time with certain hair (but not always--some looks have persisted and never left, like grunge), and certainly the videos were shot a certain way, but a lot of the videos became special effects/internal, so they don't feel like a real place. There must be plenty of examples if we did though.

• Love 1

I mean, I wasn't really aware of this because it was only ever on Radio Disney apparently, but Brie Larson's minor hit is basically the synthesis of teen pop videos during the post-pop princess era of Avril Lavigne circa 2002 to about 2007:

It's just so "of the time"- the mean girls storyline, the "I'm so rebellious and unique" clothes, the "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt, and even the baby oil they slathered on her to make her look "sexy". This sounds like it could have be put into an Amanda Bynes teen film quite easily.

• Love 1

It's weird to see an Academy Award winning actress' trite beginnings as a Disney star.

I'd actually say she's trying to BE Avril in that. Except you know... the Disney version.

• Love 1

"I Love L.A." is the unofficial theme song for the city - The only reason that it DIDN'T make it is because of the "look at the bum over there, he's down on his knees" - line. The politicians had a problem with that, but IT is a staple over the loudspeakers after an L.A. Lakers win...

• Love 1

http://www.bing.com/search?q=boys+of+summer&form=IE10TR&src=IE10TR&pc=MALNJS

The Boys of Summer - Don Henley.

I was watching the end of the video and said, Hey! I know exactly the street the final shots were filmed at.

Burning for You - Blue Oyster Cult.

We were at a music venue in the San Fernando Valley waiting for the Tubes to play and they put that video up on the wall - via a projection screen and it blew me away.....still does.

• Love 1

It's weird to see an Academy Award winning actress' trite beginnings as a Disney star.

I'd actually say she's trying to BE Avril in that. Except you know... the Disney version.

She's basically a cross between Avril Lavigne, Hilary Duff, and Michelle Branch. Brie was basically the synthesis of 2000's post-Britney pop. It really is the most generic musak version of what was popular at the time period.

Anyway, it's from the mid-90's and I wasn't really teenager until later, but this has to be the best video I've ever seen that captures what it's like to be in your teens/early 20's:

It's just so perfect- captures the beauty and banality of that age so damn well. The older I get, the more I appreciate this song/video for making me remember it.

She's basically a cross between Avril Lavigne, Hilary Duff, and Michelle Branch. Brie was basically the synthesis of 2000's post-Britney pop. It really is the most generic musak version of what was popular at the time period.

Anyway, it's from the mid-90's and I wasn't really teenager until later, but this has to be the best video I've ever seen that captures what it's like to be in your teens/early 20's:

It's just so perfect- captures the beauty and banality of that age so damn well. The older I get, the more I appreciate this song/video for making me remember it.

• Love 1

Basically my life is one big song lyric and soundtrack so picking a video from a meaningful time was difficult but I decided to go with this one.  It was fall of 1983 and I'd just begun my freshman year of college, and along with that came all of the fear and fun of being on my own for the first time.  To this day whenever I hear this song I'm immediately taken back to a sunny autumn Sunday afternoon sitting on the grassy area outside of my friend's dorm and just being in awe of my life at that moment.

Basically my life is one big song lyric and soundtrack so picking a video from a meaningful time was difficult but I decided to go with this one.  It was fall of 1983 and I'd just begun my freshman year of college, and along with that came all of the fear and fun of being on my own for the first time.  To this day whenever I hear this song I'm immediately taken back to a sunny autumn Sunday afternoon sitting on the grassy area outside of my friend's dorm and just being in awe of my life at that moment.

It's fascinating how the subject matter of that video dated itself within a few more years.

And that in fact may be a huge part of this video seemed tacked to it's particular time, come to think of it. So on that basis it fits the theme even better.

I found myself on a "boy band" kick on YouTube the other day. When I got around to "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" I realized how much I still enjoy the song, and still can't resist responding "No" out loud every time Nick Carter asks "Am I sexual?" ewwwww lol. I never understood his appeal...I thought Kevin was fine though.

• Love 1

I found myself on a "boy band" kick on YouTube the other day. When I got around to "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" I realized how much I still enjoy the song, and still can't resist responding "No" out loud every time Nick Carter asks "Am I sexual?" ewwwww lol. I never understood his appeal...I thought Kevin was fine though.

Stick with that assessment.  Kid is a douchebag.

Kevin is the nicest human being on the planet.  

My friend ruined that song for me when he pointed out that after Nick asks if he's sexual the other boys answer him.  Thanks...jerk.

• Love 2

"Circus" by Britney Spears

I was in a one-act play showcase at my college back in fall 2009, and the host of the showcase decided to theme it "Circus", and dressed in drag as Britney Spears in the "Circus" video. Between the one-acts, people would dance and sing to various songs, including "It's Raining Men" and Marilyn Manson's "Sweet Dreams" cover. It was a pretty interesting experience, and this brings me back to it.

I have a question: other than Rihanna and Beyonce, is there another black female who routinely charts on the pop charts and you hear about on tours and collaborates with other artists and whatnot?

I have a question: other than Rihanna and Beyonce, is there another black female who routinely charts on the pop charts and you hear about on tours and collaborates with other artists and whatnot?

Nicki Minaj, maybe?  She may not be as pop now as she was during her Starships era.

Edited by funkopop

Justin Bieber cancels (pricey) fan meet & greets on the remainder of his current tour, claiming they "drain" him too much, emotionally; his people say a "security scare", of an unspecified nature, at a recent show's to blame & they're apparently offering "a VIP hangout" as a replacement. I just hope those who want it back will get their money paid for the meet & greets refunded (minus the concert ticket price if it's included with the meet & greets in a "package", like with the [also pricey, but not as much as Bieber's quoted price in the linked article & worth it, as the price goes toward his charitable foundation's efforts to put musical instruments back in the schools/school districts that need them...a noble gesture] meet & greets for my favorite singer--1 of which I'm participating in on April 22nd, by the way).

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7271775/justin-bieber-cancels-meet-and-greets-security-incident

Edited by BW Manilowe

Not sure if this really counts as a time or place, (and it ain't a video, but I couldn't think of a better place to put this lol) but "Sleepwalk" by Santo & Johnny will always be associated with the ending of La Bamba for me. It's beautiful, but a very sad song for me.

Edited by spaceytraci1208
  • Love 1

First things first: 

Yes, my screen name stands for Use Your Illusion. And yes, I like that album slightly better than Appetite for Destruction. And yes, they are my favorite band of all time.

Anyway:

Who EVER thought we would be talking about a classic lineup reunion? How great is this?

So here is a place to talk about this iconic rock band.

And yes, I admit, these two UYI songs are probably my favorites of theirs:

(edited)

Ah, the Dixie Chicks. The way they were kicked off of country radio--for the unspeakable crime of making a relatively benign comment about not agreeing with hen-President Bush on Iraq (because other country stars haven't said MUCH worse about Obama. Right.) was shameful. Just shameful. (But Merle Haggard--may he rest in peace--did publicly defend him, and I love him for that.)

But of course, I don't want to--nor are we allowed to--make this focus too much on "the Incident", or the politics surrounding it, because at the end of the day, what really matters is that the Dixie Chicks were a wonderful band who made REAL country music, and it's been suggested that the ban against them helped more traditional/bluegrass sounding country music make a decline on the radio--along the number of the women on the radio, even if they are FAR better than almost any of the men in the industry (especially the "bros" of country. Blech.).

But the Dixie Chicks start touring again on June 1st, their first extensive tour of the US since the Top of the World tour in 2003, right after "the Incident" took place (promoting the Home album, which is AWESOME.) I really hope they do well, and I truly hope they release another album someday soon.

And I would be remiss if I didn't link this decade old song. Still so very powerful today. If you haven't seen the documentary Shut Up and Sing, I highly recommend it. They include scenes about the process of writing and recording this song:

I hope other fans will join me here! :) 

Edited by UYI
(edited)

I haven't listened to their music in a long time, except when one happens to come on the radio while I'm tuning in, but I was a big fan back in the 80s (even saw Slash once in a club!).  I remember when the UYI tour started and people were complaining that they were going to spend most of the time singing songs from an album that hadn't been released yet.  I went anyway and it was fantastic*!  I was lucky enough to get them on a night when they were only 20 minutes late starting and there no temper tantrums from Axl.  The songs were great and I bought the album as soon as it was released.  I liked November Rain, but preferred Don't Cry.  I also liked:

Live and Let Die (better than the original)

Coma (I remember liking the music better than the lyrics)

Civil War

Knockin' on Heaven's Door (better than the original)

Pretty Tied Up (which should go in the "Songs you like in spite of the lyrics" thread.  But, I love the melody.)

*Also, Skid Row opened for them that night and they were really good, too.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

I know....When we heard that they played out here on April 1st, our first comment was "Why did we not know about this?!" and our second was "It's ok....we wouldn't have had the time to stand in line all night anyway."

Came across this video on YT about the state of pop music today.  I can't help but agree with him as I listen to my iPod Nano rather than local radio and have very little interest in current Top 40.... or much of the Top 40 for the past 15 years.   I came to a similar conclusion ages ago but thought it was just me getting older.

It always amazes me when really old songs get taken to court like this. I just don't get the logic behind it. Why didn't it get bought up when it was released and was a big hit. Surely the person making the plagiarism charge was aware of the song before 'today'? Don't get me wrong, I think they sound almost identical to my non trained years and so not saying they don't have a case, but why wait so  make an issue out of it

One of my favorite bands, and I still play their albums all the time.  I think there's maybe one song on each (from the Maines era) that I don't love.  I will be there with bells on when they wrap up their tour at the Hollywood Bowl, despite the outrageous price I had to pay for good seats; I have been waiting so long to see them in concert again!

And, yes, the documentary is great.

Edited by Bastet

Kelly Clarkson gave birth to her second child with husband Brandon Blackstock on Tuesday; they also have a 22 month-old daughter, River Rose Blackstock (he also has an older son & daughter, Seth & Savannah, from a previous marriage). It was a boy (which was disclosed during the pregnancy); they named him Remington Alexander Blackstock.

They should just stop listening to pop songs because Pop is most often all about relationships. Drake's "Hotline Bling", Bieber's "Sorry", "Love Yourself" and "What do You Mean", The Weeknds "I Can't Feel My Face", OMI's "Cheerleader", Shawn's "Stitches", and Charlie's "One Call Away" all about the opposite sex. Adele's songs are all addressed to boyfriends. Sam Smith is all about relationships too. It's just not Katy and Taylor.

You're right, but am I weird for thinking Brits do relationship-y/sex/party songs better than Americans? We've seen an influx of British chanteuses over the past two years who seem much more fun the American pop stars. I mean Charli XCX, Tove Lo, Jessie J, even Rita Ora when she actually sings instead of just hangs out.

I came to say I love Tori Kelly, and I think she's kind of underrated (Best New Artist nomination aside). I think it's interesting because she can sing her ass off, but she doesn't really have a radio-friendly voice. She has a thin timbre and it's kind of reedy at times, but she has perfect pitch and can sing (listen to "Nobody Love" and live versions of "Should've Been Us" for samples). Sucks she's not bigger.

I discovered the free Coachella livestream (3 different channels, for the different stages), and I thought, "Oh good!  I can see the Guns N' Rose performance!"  But, alas, apparent GnR only allowed 15 minutes of a live feed.  So they are supposed to start somewhere in the range of 10:30 or so (depending on when Axl shows up), and only the first 15 minutes will be viewable on the official channel.

I was part of the '80s Sunset Strip scene that yielded GnR, Poison, Warrant, L.A. Guns, and --about 2 years before my time -- Motley Crue and Ratt.  My friends and I were up on the Strip every weekend, at the various clubs seeing shows, and just generally hanging out.  At that time it seemed that the people on the Strip were either in the GnR camp or the Poison camp.  I didn't know anyone in both camps -- or if they were, they didn't admit it.  Both bands went on to fame and fortune, as we know, but, of the two, GnR is the band that always had more rock credibility and respect (and still does). 

We stayed on the Poison side of things because our circle of friends was on that side, but we would often see the GnR flyers scattered around on the sidewalk in front of the Roxy or wherever, or stapled to poles.  We went to tons of club shows back then, and an inebriated Slash once smashed my fingers with his leather-clad elbow at a party (I had my hand up on a table or counter and he leaned on my hand, completely oblivious to what or who was around him), but I never actually saw GnR perform in a club, from what I can remember.  In fact, I think the first time I actually saw GnR do a set was when they opened for the Rolling Stones way back when.

Meanwhile, this Coachella stream is the way to go for those of us who are not young, not cool, not hip, not thrilled with sun, dust and dirt, and those of us who attended the US Festival back in the early '80s and had our fill of festivals for a lifetime.    But I started to realize that I had heard of almost no one performing this weekend or next weekend.  I've heard of Sia, and Ice Cube. of course.  There may be a couple more.   I checked around online to see if I was the only one who hadn't heard of most of the acts, and thankfully I was not alone!

Sherry67, I was there a lot, too, from 87-early 89 (do you remember the line of preppies on Japanese motorcycles who would sit across the street?) I liked both bands (and Warrant! Actually, I loved most of them.). Your post brought back a ton of memories. What a time that was!

• Love 1

Sherry67, I was there a lot, too, from 87-early 89 (do you remember the line of preppies on Japanese motorcycles who would sit across the street?) I liked both bands (and Warrant! Actually, I loved most of them.). Your post brought back a ton of memories. What a time that was!

For some reason I don't remember preppies or the Japanese motorcycles.  Or maybe I have the wrong idea of where they were stationed.   Where were they parked? 

If we were not seeing a band in one of the clubs, or in the Rainbow, we were usually walking back and forth, back and forth (literally), from one end of the Strip to the other on Friday and Saturday nights.  We would only venture over to the Troubadour if there was an actual band that we wanted to see, and every so often -- depending on who was playing -- we might trek out to the Country Club or some club way out in the hinterlands.

But the Strip was hangout central, and the place to collect many, many flyers!!  Then, eventually the police would come along and end the fun (making everyone leave or keep walking, instead of standing in place).

I watched the 15 minutes of livestream time (which was not actually "live" at all) for Guns N' Roses at Coachella.  I couldn't help giggling at Axl trying to dance in the chair (or The Throne is what they're calling it, right?), but at least he showed up!  He could have easily cancelled or backed out, but at least he was there.  Seeing that he has to now tour with GnR as well as tour with AC/DC, he has to stick with it and not do the "show up 3 hours late" thing or angrily stomp off and leave his bandmates in a bind.  The fact that he is showing up despite his injury is a good sign.  He'll be back on his feet in time.

Edited by Sherry67
For some reason I don't remember preppies or the Japanese motorcycles.  Or maybe I have the wrong idea of where they were stationed.   Where were they parked?

I wish I could remember exactly.  We walked back and forth along the strip, too.  It's been years since I've been there--what was the first major club from the east--The Roxie?  and at the far end near Beverly Hills was Gazzari's (I even forget how to spell it)?  They were usually across the street, hanging out and watching our side.  I think it was on the opposite side of The Rainbow.  We always laughed thinking that their entertainment for the weekend was watching the freaks with the long hair, leather and make up.  You mentioned The Country Club--I'm pretty sure that was the first club I went to when I moved out here at 18.  It was the night that Warrant was playing and announced that they'd just signed a record deal.

A number of years ago, I heard Axl and thought his voice had gone way down hill.  I'll have to find something recent to see how he's doing now. 

I wish I could remember exactly.  We walked back and forth along the strip, too.  It's been years since I've been there--what was the first major club from the east--The Roxie?  and at the far end near Beverly Hills was Gazzari's (I even forget how to spell it)?  They were usually across the street, hanging out and watching our side.  I think it was on the opposite side of The Rainbow.  We always laughed thinking that their entertainment for the weekend was watching the freaks with the long hair, leather and make up.  You mentioned The Country Club--I'm pretty sure that was the first club I went to when I moved out here at 18.  It was the night that Warrant was playing and announced that they'd just signed a record deal.

A number of years ago, I heard Axl and thought his voice had gone way down hill.  I'll have to find something recent to see how he's doing now. 

Can you find the footage from last night/this morning's Coachella performance online?  It should be easy to dig up.

In that particular 2-3 blocks of the Strip, The Whisky was at the east end, Gazzarri's was at the west end.  The Rainbow and the Roxy were/are in between.  Somewhat across the street and a bit east was where The Viper Room eventually set up shop (but I never went there).  

One GnR observation from those days is that they were not as active with their promotion as Poison was, and almost every other band was.  GnR did not send out people to hand out flyers nearly as often as the other bands did, nor were they out on the Strip meeting and greeting people as often as the other bands were.  There were GnR flyers scattered about here and there, but not as often and there were not as many as there were for other bands.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention (on the subject of GnR back in the '80s) is Gilby.  I first became aware of Gilby when he was in the band Candy.  In fact, before I ever set foot on the Strip to see a show, I saw a Candy video on some obscure PBS channel that showed videos.  I thought that Gilby was cute.  I finally saw a Candy show at the Whisky, I think, a few years later -- a couple of years before Gilby left for GnR.  What's funny is that Candy's one big "hit," if you can call it that -- Whatever Happened to Fun -- was so pop-ish and lightweight; nothing like the gritty kind of hard-driving rock that GnR plays.

Gilby has now gone on to do so many interesting things, including that Rock Star show way back when, and also marrying the woman who created Frankie B jeans! 

Edited by Sherry67

In that particular 2-3 blocks of the Strip, The Whisky was at the east end, Gazzarri's was at the west end.  The Rainbow and the Roxy were/are in between.  Somewhat across the street and a bit east was where The Viper Room eventually set up shop (but I never went there).

That's right--The Whiskey.  I never went to The Viper Room, either.

Can you find the footage from last night/this morning's Coachella performance online?  It should be easy to dig up.

I'll definitely look it up.  My husband just read an amusing review of it. 

Gilby!  I remember him--he was on the second season of Rock Star.  Some fans were under the impression that they didn't like Storm because his wife was a little on the jealous side.  I wouldn't know if that were true or not, but how she didn't win that season is beyond me. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

I just listened to a couple of performances at Coachella.  They sound really good!  Slash hasn't changed much, has he?  :)

Slash looks almost exactly the same as he always has -- of course, he always covers his head and face so it would be hard to see how he is aging anyway.

I think the weird thing was just seeing Axl trying to awkwardly shimmy around in that chair (The Throne, on loan from Dave Grohl) while singing.  I mean, the alternative would have been to just cancel and not do the show at all, so I guess it's better that he showed up and didn't let anyone down.  But... it will be much better when he is back on his feet and can actually move.

• Love 1