Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

(edited)

This is the only place I can think to post this, it's not about the actual music, but the marketing of a group or singer. I've seen a few random videos from Fifth Harmony & without thinking about it, just assumed they were in their mid twenties based on their looks. Here is their video for Worth It:

I saw this commercial a number of times before I somehow realized that this was also Fifth Harmony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rob6vPaAa2s

Most of these girls aren't even in their 20s, & some aren't even 18 yet! The way they're made up & their choreography really make them look a lot older. I don't know why I'm shocked, but I am.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

I am not about to call "plagiarism" on this since it is neither exact nor likely, but it does seem a little suspicious to me.

In the late 1980s, a South Korean singer named Lee Ji Yeon released a song that translates roughly as Please Stop The Wind. In around 2006, a South Korean band named Loveholic released a cover song that is actually quite different from the original. Then, in 2010, a certain band may have switched the verse with the chorus in order to make this. Or maybe I am just imagining that.

I have an irrational, everlasting hatred of "This Will Be" by Natalie Cole.   Every time that Eharmony ad comes on with that song playing, I have to switch channels.  It is the lamest of lame songs, and you can't really dance to it.  Even Carlton from "The Fresh Prince of Belair" would find it hard to dance to.   I am getting wound up and my left eye is twitching as I write this.  I hate that song so much.

ISN'T IT AMAZING?

This is the song that should change everyone's minds about her. All this song does is show off her voice. I like all of her earlier songs, but this is the one that showcases what she can do better than any of them. It better become a hit. *fingers crossed* 

• Love 2

I guess one could call this a UO but I always preferred Christine McVie's voice over Stevie Nicks's, and I thought Christine should have been the lead on more Fleetwood Mac songs. 

• Love 1

I'm going to change this question a little: what's the first contemporary pop song/music video you remember hearing as a child and loving? (Not a song that came out before you were born that you loved later on, but a song that you actually remember listening to as it was climbing the charts.)

I have such a vivid memory of this:  my mom's car, she's driving and my godmother is sitting in the front passenger seat. I must have been sitting in the "hump seat" -- the middle of the back seat where the gear box makes that lump on the floor so you can't sit comfortably -- and staring at the radio dial while Carole King sang "It's Too Late."  I still remember that sad, hollow feeling I got when she sang, "Still, I'm glad for what we had, and how I once loved you."  That remains the single most melancholy song lyric I've ever heard, and I regularly tear up when I hear it.  That album, "Tapestry," came out in 1971, so I was probably 4 or 5. 

I have an irrational, everlasting hatred of "This Will Be" by Natalie Cole.   Every time that Eharmony ad comes on with that song playing, I have to switch channels.  It is the lamest of lame songs, and you can't really dance to it.  Even Carlton from "The Fresh Prince of Belair" would find it hard to dance to.   I am getting wound up and my left eye is twitching as I write this.  I hate that song so much.

Not so irrational.  My kids and I call it "the Dino song," because her riff at the end sounds just like the Flinstone's pet dinosaur when it would get excited and "bark."

Color me shocked - I just found out that I never knew the real name of a song that I've loved for 35ish years!

Train in Vain is the actual name of the song by The Clash.  I always figured it was Did You Stand By Me (or some other words in the lyrics), but nope.

• Love 1

Gloom, despair and agony on me

Deep, dark depression excessive misery

If it weren't for bad luck

I'd have no luck at all

Gloom, despair and agony on me.

Sorry, could not resist!

You're a-pickin' and I'm a-grinnin'.

There, now we're both liars. ;-)

Color me shocked - I just found out that I never knew the real name of a song that I've loved for 35ish years!

Train in Vain is the actual name of the song by The Clash.  I always figured it was Did You Stand By Me (or some other words in the lyrics), but nope.

Years after Train In Vain was released, the band Garbage took the opening riff and used it for their song, Stupid Girl. Then again, it took me ages to realize that Baba O'Riley is not actually called "Teenaged Wasteland."

• Love 1

I guess one could call this a UO but I always preferred Christine McVie's voice over Stevie Nicks's, and I thought Christine should have been the lead on more Fleetwood Mac songs. 

Really never liked Fleetwood Mac, mainly because of Stevie Nicks' voice.  Oddly, I love a lot of the duets she's done - Don Henley and Tom Petty (especially their cover of Needles and Pins).

Years after Train In Vain was released, the band Garbage took the opening riff and used it for their song, Stupid Girl. Then again, it took me ages to realize that Baba O'Riley is not actually called "Teenaged Wasteland."

Being a Who-fanatic as a teen, I knew that one and got very peevish and snotty when someone called it Teenage Wasteland.  Yes, I was an ass.

For years I thought this Stevie Wonder song was called "Always", turns out the name of the song is "As"

I consider myself a Mac fan ever since I bought "Fleetwood Mac" while I was in high school. I have always thought the band was great because they just fed off of each other so well. I don't really like Stevie's solo stuff except for some things as her voice is a little too annoying but I do admire her as an artist and the way her voice meshes with Christine's and Lindsey's.

As far as Christine maybe doing more leads, I think FM are like Lennon/McCartney...they would sing lead on the things they actually wrote themselves.

Coincidentally, I recently started listening to the album after quite some time and I think I actually love it more than Rumours, and I love Rumours!  Lindsey is at his hypnotic best on his solos on Say You Love Me, So Afraid and World Turning. He is so under appreciated in his guitar playing. His style is so unique yet guys like Eddie Van Halen get all the praise (Eddie does deserve such praise, so I am not denegrading him)

Frankly I skip Stevie's Landslide and Rhiannon simply because they have been played to death over the years that they are not special to me. I do love her vocals on the Tusk album, though. Christine, though, really has one of those voices that make you wanna just let it wash over you. Warm Ways was actually the reason I bought the album back in the day when I was 17 or so. I heard it on the local FM station and it blew my mind. 

Her performance of Songbird on Rumours is quite possibly the single most beautiful song she ever did. Still love it. Willie Nelson actually does a beautiful job with it as well. 

Christine, though, really has one of those voices that make you wanna just let it wash over you.

That's exactly the way I'd describe her voice.  Just lean back and listen.  And I loved Warm Ways.

Rumours was the only album I bought of theirs and I still listen to it.

Edited by Ohwell

I'm watching Ed Sheeran: Live at Wembley. and it's bugging me that they're spending so much time on the setup of the performance and Ed's being overwhelmed at the size of the venue, and not enough on the actual performance.  Especially since this is only an hour show.

I'm so excited!!!

Like most folks, I first saw her on SNL after seeing people gush about her online, and was duly unimpressed by her lousy debut TV performance there((turns out she just had an understandably severe dose of stage fright and performs like a seasoned pro nowadays)).

Then I saw the "National Anthem" video and was intrigued...it was an interesting dose of artistry and clever song/video-tinkering that made me want to give her a second try. After I went down the YouTube rabbit-hole and heard more of her stuff, I was hooked. Got "Born to Die", fell in love, got "Paradise" and was in lust..."Ultraviolence" was very good, but I have a feeling "Honeymoon" will be extra great and a real return to her original sadcore-meets-triphop-retro sound.

Her voice and "look" just sells it all though, and the girl is quite an impressive songwriter to boot---if you've got a few hours to spare, I dare you to listen to all her unreleased tracks scattered around YouTube...she's a master of many genres.

It does make me sad that we live in a world where Taylor Swift is at the top of the pop charts and Lana is barely given the public adulation she deserves. But she probably prefers it this way; oddly enough, the fact that she does her own thing and promotes her own sort of career trajectory is part of her enigmatic allure, I suppose...

There's a great online pop music reviewer named Todd In the Shadows, and he just recently made this compilation of songs that have a "Stop!" super cut. Very good!

Just discovered this thread so a little late but I wanted to comment on a few things.

Justin Timberlake - No, I never thought he was sexy or hot but I always saw incredible star power and talent in him. Back during the boy band heydays of the late 90's - early 2000's, I was totally a Backstreet Boys girl. Not that I hated N'Sync but I totally thought Backstreet was better. And yet even saying that, if someone had asked me back then, which of these guys from both groups would have an amazing solo career, I would have picked Justin. It doesn't matter that J.C. may have technically been a better singer - in my opinion, Justin just had that "It Factor". And the guy is hella talented. I know some often like to dismiss his career as owing to Pharrell and Timbaland, like he did nothing to contribute to that, but I've always said that while those producers helped Justin hone the sound he wanted, he worked with them because he already knew where he wanted to go with his music.

Justin may not be the best vocalist in the world but he is a good singer, instrumentalist and talented songwriter and producer, in my opinion. I know many were mixed on The 20/20 Experience but I loved it and I liked that he didn't fall into the trap of trying to sound like what was in at the time and just stayed true to what he wanted to do. And not for nothing but Mirrors is my jam. I love that song - and the video's pretty awesome as well. That being said, I think if anyone's giving Justin a run for his money right now, it's Bruno Mars. I like Ed Sheeran and some of these other guys but Bruno just kills it - amazing performer, very talented singer/songwriter and producer. I can't wait for his next album. 

Adam Levine/Maroon 5 - I have never found Adam Levine sexy, largely because I felt like I was often being force fed about how sexy he is. It became a running joke at one point that every Maroon 5 video included the rest of the band hanging around singing and playing their instruments while Levine rolled around half naked and made out with some hot model. It became so gratuitous and corny after awhile. That said, I agree with the poster who stated that they feel like the band sold out. I get it though, they probably felt they had to go where the money is and especially after their sophomore album, It Won't Be Soon Before Long, was criminally underrated in my opinion. But it's made me lose interest in their music. Clearly the masses don't feel as I do as they keep having hits (though I'm sure that has to do with Adam's resurgence thanks to The Voice) but I honestly haven't liked any recent Maroon 5 song and often just skip when listening to iTunes radio or some streaming service. However, Songs About Jane still holds up for me and I will every so often just listen to the whole thing again. Really, really good album. 

Beyonce - I'll preface this by saying I'm not a stan and I find her "Beyhive" stans incredibly annoying and no, she's not the Queen B, no matter how much her stans and Kanye seem to believe so. That said, I get and respect her success. Beyonce is a HARD worker. She has worked and hustled and pushed hard for her career, so I cannot knock her success. More importantly, she is an amazing performer. I was indifferent to Beyonce for a long time, especially during all the Destiny's Child drama and all that stuff but I didn't really sit up and take notice until I saw a few of her live performances. The woman brings it almost everytime on a stage. Beyonce is one of the few artists I would pay good money to go see live because she will give you your money's worth and deliver. Like I enjoy a lot of Rihanna's music but she is lazy. Rihanna has half-assed so many performances, not to mention ones she's been clearly tipsy or high off her ass for and it's like, this is your job, people pay good money to see you, show up and deliver. 

And yes, Beyonce is no Whitney (in her heydays) or Mariah but so what? Because at the end of the day she can sing. I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare to her to Madonna because Madonna is and always has been a mediocre vocalist. Beyonce can sing her face off. Her voice and tone may not be the most pleasing to some but she can sing and certainly more so than your Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc. My issue with her is her questionable history of adding like one line or word to a song and taking writing credit for it and again, her stans' delusion that she's the Queen B of the world is ridiculous. But I have to say, I do agree with the assertions that in this moment in time, she's the best female performer in music. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I was indifferent to Beyonce for a long time, especially during all the Destiny's Child drama and all that stuff but I didn't really sit up and take notice until I saw a few of her live performances. The woman brings it almost everytime on a stage. 

I've never actually seen her "live", but I've seen her performances on shows like the VMAs etc, & I have to say I was not impressed. I find her performances to be loaded with recordings of her singing, instead of her singing live. I'm not talking about lip syncing, I'm talking about the times she chooses the choreography over the singing, & while she's dancing, she's not singing but you hear the recording of her voice. To me, if I'm going to see a singer live, then they should be singing live, not using tracks so that they can dance, that's what backup dancers are for, to dance while you sing. 

There are plenty of pop singers who use backing vocals if they are dancing. What I like about Beyonce is she doesn't pretend she's signing when she's not. When she lets the band and the backing track take over, she just stops singing. I accept that some may have issues with that and that's fine but I personally have seen her live and for me she was full out, 100 percent energy, engaged with the audience and her band and dancers, danced her ass off and sang her face off. Yes, some of the fast songs she used backing tracks but on the slow songs, of which there was many, she was singing.

For me, it's like this - I can stay home and just listen to a song and it costs me nothing. When I go to a concert, I want a show. Beyonce gives you a show from the second she steps out on that stage till the moment she leaves. Her Glastonbury performance was one of the best in years and the first time a woman had been picked to headline. But again, ymmv. I will also note that saying all that, I was actually disappointed in her Superbowl performance, only because it felt too much like what I'd seen from her already and I just thought for that big of an event, she should have brought something new. The lights going out in the stadium after her performance was golden PR though.

• Love 2

Posted today.  Two locations. The first appears to have been overwhelmed and has crashed. The second seems to be working.  The actual music is on Soundcloud, so you can also probably access it directly from their site or App (iOS and Android) as well.

http://www.mileycyrusandherdeadpetz.com(down as I post this)

http://mileycyrus.com/andherdeadpetz(works as I post this)

The music sounds like it's basically a partnership with The Flaming Lips.

I guess that reflects how he was still largely in the Teen Idol Ghetto, though. It was probably YouTube that helped his fandom/hatedom build up more than anything else.

He was discovered through YouTube.  He was just a little kid putting out YT videos when he was discovered.

Based on their online presence, the band is German.  They probably don't recognize the problem.

I don't buy that. They're clearly named directly after the show (which I'm 100% sure aired in Germany). They sing in English, so aren't ignorantly just using a sound combination. And nobody in any first world country didn't get the news reports about Cosby (a global star thanks the show's global syndication).

Actually, another band named after Cosby had the same problem this year, but DID rename:

"COSBY SWEATER" CHANGES THEIR NAME TO "TURBO SUIT", ANNOUNCES NEW ALBUM AND TOUR

That's something I don't understand.

Spotify is $10 a month.  $5 if you're a student.  They have millions of subscribers.....if they aren't paying artists, where is all that money going?

Record label CEOS. Spotify itself.