Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/16/2017

GHScorpiosRule
  • Start Topic

Monday: Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr. Guests: Political Commentator Van Jones; Anti-Hate Activist Arno Michaelis; Serv2unite Co-Founder Pardeep Singh Kaleka; Singer Clay Aiken.

Tuesday: Day of Hot Topics.

Wednesday: Actors Bryce Dallas Howard, Jerry O'Connell and Rebecca Romijn; Hallmark's Dog Show.

Thursday: Author Cokie Roberts; Comic Jim Gaffigan.

Friday: Show Preempted.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Why whatever do you mean? Is something special happening Friday? I have plans to spend the day in complete denial at the mall and the movies and prowling thrift stores and will be completely away from my TV and all the news. If something unusual is happening Friday, I will not be watching..

I will meet you at the mall and movies.  Complete Denial here too.

• Love 12

My sister's baby is due to arrive at the end of this month. We know they are typically not on time, especially if like my sis you have a doctor that believes in inducing  - therefore they can pick a date. I told my sister she'd BETTER not have it Jan 20, 2017 because that day is ruined for me forever. 

I will be as far away from live TV as possible this Friday.

Now to insert an obligatory The View post: I hope today's episode will be peaceful; with talk about MLK and the positive contributions he made to our country. No mention of PeeOTUS, pretty please. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, susieq147 said:

Forgive me for being off topic but are any of my fellow posters going to the Women's March Saturday.  I am driving in from WV.  GHScorpio aren't you from the DC area?

Yes and I had plans to attend, but I've been laid low with a horrible cold/flu as well as straining a muscle in my neck.  So not sure if I'll be there. It's a wait and see.

Friday will see a day of many people drinking themselves into oblivion. And staying away from TVs.

On 1/14/2017 at 4:59 PM, Haleth said:

I haven't seen Hidden Figures yet. 

Go see it! It's EXCELLENT!!!

A much better way to spend Friday, for sure.

• Love 3

Taking a break from "The View," today.....watching the ultimate chick-flick the original "Beaches," on Lifetime Movie Network......with a box of Kleenex  close by, then on Saturday I'll be watching Lifetime's remake of this film, a production Bette Midler gave her blessings to, starring Idina Menzel & Nia Long. 

• Love 4

That was a great show today. All 3 segments were powerful, even if no solutions were suggested. Van Jones as usual had some very insightful observations. The ex-white supremacist and Sikh victim were eye opening. And the HS kids who spoke so candidly broke my heart.  Hopefully when Sunny pointed out to them they were saying the same thing it made them think, though I doubt there will be any kumbaya moments.

Thankfully there was no arguing, grandstanding, or stupid jokes today.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8

Iagree it was a great show, I was not expecting what we got. I thought the reformed racist was interesting, but far more interesting was the Sikh that befriended him, the highschool segment was a microcosm of the people around me all talking, no listening. When I said to my sister that she should listen to what Trump supporters were saying in her quest for Clinton to win, she told me she didn't have to hear that hatred and my Trump voting friends were all standing around with fingers in their ears saying la la la I don't care when anything Trump did came on the news.  Both see no evil, hear no evil, talk a lot of crap. And somehow I was the one all turned on, me, the listener,

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I'm also wondering what look Clay Aiken is going for.  He just looks strange.

He needs to just give up and let his hair grow into its natural color...THEN have someone give him a style that works.

On 1/14/2017 at 11:00 AM, Celia Rubenstein said:

Why whatever do you mean? Is something special happening Friday?

I'll be glued to my TV; I understand there's a very special episode of Twilight Zone.

• Love 4

Sunny looks beautiful in pink. Wowzas! 

IMHO, too much time on the neo Nazi guy. FF fast. 

It would have been helpful if the teen Repubs could explain clearly WHY they are conservatives and WHY they voted for Trump. But then they wouldn't know because they orange pig hasn't explained his as alternative policies either, and not just put down HC or Obamacare.

Love Van Jones. 

• Love 6

I don't know why but I find it very surprising, borderline shocking, when a young person voted for Dump. I mean, did you not hear the stuff coming out of his mouth?!!! Arrogance, hatred, bigotry, misogyny.....doesn't exactly sound like a platform that would appeal to that age group. Come to think of it.....hell...ANY AGE GROUP!!!

• Love 14
3 hours ago, backformore said:

I wasn't completely happy with the Sunny/Clay segment.

"I'm afraid people will think I'm racist because I supported Trump"   is NOT equal to "I'm afraid my family will be targeted or deported because of our identity".

Agreed! The hate that tRump spews seemed to have been diminished. Why do I not feel great about rump supporters? Well hear his messge.That's it.

1 hour ago, dinkysquid said:

I don't know why but I find it very surprising, borderline shocking, when a young person voted for Dump. I mean, did you not hear the stuff coming out of his mouth?!!! Arrogance, hatred, bigotry, misogyny.....doesn't exactly sound like a platform that would appeal to that age group. Come to think of it.....hell...ANY AGE GROUP!!!

THIS^^^^^

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ari333 said:

I believe the  young people who voted for Trump were probably just following their parent's lead.  Bigots aren't born, they are raised.  And on the flip side young people who are care about people regardless of their skin color, ethnicity or gender are also probably just following their parent's lead.  And I should know.  My son is coming with me to march for women's rights Saturday.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, susieq147 said:

Bigots aren't born, they are raised.

I have a relative who wasn't raised to be a bigot...and her political affiliations and beliefs (some of them downright crazy) change drastically with the husband she marries.  She's now on Husband 4.5 whom she married when she was 35.  She's definitely a bigot today and in love with her current president.

• Love 7

Latest Jed flip flop:  She supports artists who refuse to perform for BLOTUS, yet two weeks ago she railed against artists who voice their political views. So what is it, Jed?  Do actors and singers have a right to speak their minds or do they need to shut up?

• Love 15
23 minutes ago, Haleth said:

So what is it, Jed?  Do actors and singers have a right to speak their minds or do they need to shut up?

It is just so ridiculous that this asshole blurts out her views five days a week on a talk show, yet she doesn't like it when the best English-speaking actress of our time (arguably) speaks her views.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, susieq147 said:

I believe the  young people who voted for Trump were probably just following their parent's lead.  Bigots aren't born, they are raised. 

I disagree with this.  I am liberal, have been since I was a teen.  My parents definitely raised me to be a bigot, but I rejected their views, as did 4 of my 5 siblings.  my son, on the other hand.  his first year away at college, fell into a group of white power people.  I couldn't believe it, and did some research on the topic. had to work with my son  to show him how certain punk bands were delivering a message and drawing young people into a cult of hatred.  We talked to him about transferring schools if he didn't make better choices.   From the reading I did, I found some pretty scary stuff about groups that target vulnerable young people through music.  thankfully, his interest in the movement was short-lived. (and as an adult is very progressive, supported Obama and Hillary after being onboard with Bernie)

Anyway -  my point is that you can't always assume the kids follow their parents lead.  sometimes kids decide to go 180 degrees in the other direction. We don't know, about the kids Sunny and Clay interviewed, where they got their views.  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 15
7 minutes ago, backformore said:

I disagree with this.  I am liberal, have been since I was a teen.  My parents definitely raised me to be a bigot, but I rejected their views, as did 4 of my 5 siblings.  my son, on the other hand.  his first year away at college, fell into a group of white power people.

My point is bigots are influenced to be bigots.  Nobody is born thinking I am going to hate someone simply because they are different than me.  It doesn't have to be a parent that influences you.  As former nun posted above it can be a spouse.  Or in your son's case his peers.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

My point is bigots are influenced to be bigots.  Nobody is born thinking I am going to hate someone simply because they are different than me.  It doesn't have to be a parent that influences you.  As former nun posted above it can be a spouse.  Or in your son's case his peers.

"You've Got to be Carefully Taught", a song from "South Pacific", explains it.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

I was responding to this: 

4 hours ago, susieq147 said:

I believe the  young people who voted for Trump were probably just following their parent's lead.  Bigots aren't born, they are raised

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

But influences are everywhere, there are good influences, harmless influences and awful influences.  Once a person reaches adulthood, they and they alone are responsible for their thoughts and actions.  I've know people who were raised by packs of wolves and have turned out to be loving, fulfilled people.  I've also know people who were raised by saints who have turned out to be the biggest pieces of shit to ever walk the earth.  You can't blame an adult or even a young adult's actions or words on the way he was raised, that adult has made a conscious decision to do what he's eventually going to do.  I don't think Mrs. Bila told her daughter Jediblahblah to be totally offensive and hypocritical and I surely don't think the Haynes's encouraged Sarah's air-headedness.  I am sure Whoopi's mother, well you get the drift.

I have two nephews from two different brothers, both raised in middle-class Democrat households with liberal values, both the same age.  One voted for Trump, one for Hillary.  My take:  the Trump voter is a little asshole and the Hillary voter is now my favorite nephew.  One is in the will, one is out.  I don't blame my brothers, college or social media.  My nephews are adults, their actions tell me who they are.

• Love 13
51 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

But influences are everywhere, there are good influences, harmless influences and awful influences.  Once a person reaches adulthood, they and they alone are responsible for their thoughts and actions.  I've know people who were raised by packs of wolves and have turned out to be loving, fulfilled people.  I've also know people who were raised by saints who have turned out to be the biggest pieces of shit to ever walk the earth.  You can't blame an adult or even a young adult's actions or words on the way he was raised, that adult has made a conscious decision to do what he's eventually going to do.  I don't think Mrs. Bila told her daughter Jediblahblah to be totally offensive and hypocritical and I surely don't think the Haynes's encouraged Sarah's air-headedness.  I am sure Whoopi's mother, well you get the drift.

I have two nephews from two different brothers, both raised in middle-class Democrat households with liberal values, both the same age.  One voted for Trump, one for Hillary.  My take:  the Trump voter is a little asshole and the Hillary voter is now my favorite nephew.  One is in the will, one is out.  I don't blame my brothers, college or social media.  My nephews are adults, their actions tell me who they are.

... yes, but do they know it?  I have the same hammer, but don't have the guts to tell them:  "You're a little asshole & will never see one cent of my hard-earned money!!"

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, backformore said:

And Jed keeps couching her OWN opinions by saying "A LOT of people are saying...."   Shut up, bitch.  She argues for Trump supporters really well, for someone who claims to not hold those views herself.

And if she didn't hold the same beliefs then why is she giving those beliefs air time?  Her and her "a lot of people" is the same as Elisabeth and her "I have a friend" bullshit. I have more respect for someone who owns their beliefs than someone who just repeats someone else's beliefs (even though we know it's their beliefs).   And no, they aren't playing devil's advocate. They are being the devil himself.

• Love 13
28 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

"People are saying" is an old Fox News ploy to make it sound like it isn't their own beliefs.

This reminds me of Harvey Levin on TMZ who often starts his snippy little gossip pieces with, "We are told...."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, backformore said:

And Jed keeps couching her OWN opinions by saying "A LOT of people are saying...."   Shut up, bitch.  She argues for Trump supporters really well, for someone who claims to not hold those views herself.,

Bingo. Typical language of a coward as she clutches her pearls and denies that she feels that way. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8

I felt bad after hearing that Jennifer Holliday received so much hatred for performing for the inauguration. I think her heart was in the right place. Same with Jackie Evancho. I admire those who stand up against Trump, but I'm starting to feel that bullying performers don't help us in our opposition to him. And while I support Meryl Streep and anyone who speaks out at the Orange Nightmare, I'm starting to feel that their input isn't helping. It's like, I appreciate what you're trying to say, but now is not the time.

It's tough. I want all performers to boycott Trump. But at the same time, this is traditionally a patriotic event. I wish someone could bring everyone together. Garth Brooks? Tom Hanks? Somebody!

• Love 3

Member Silver Raven    1,800

5 hours ago

5 hours ago, susieq147 said:

"You've Got to be Carefully Taught", a song from "South Pacific", explains it.

LOL Silver Raven ~ Barbara Walters would be proud of you.  That was always her favorite song to warble when discussing discrimination/racism, and I could barely read your post without hearing her voice.                                                                                               

• Love 8

The death threats and calling out of her name were terrible. That was going to far. That being said, shut up Sara and Jedi.

When exactly are we supposed to start judging the orange idiot? When he starts work on Monday after he parties the whole weekend away. I don't have to respect shit. I just have to stay black and die. Again Trump is on a whole different level.

• Love 15

Contrarily, I will be watching on Friday just to see what mayhem might ensue, and cheering on any protests since I can't be there in person.  I'm even hoping for sudden thunderstorms with the possibility of hail.

• Love 11

I am so sick of Jed's give Trump a chance crap. Many, myself included, gave him a chance during the primary, the debates,  the general, the Convention, the transition and his awful twitter comments lashing out at individuals, companys, other countrys, tv shows etc. OTOH, I gave up during the primary and debates. And try cry for unity after all his crap is unrealistic. A POTUS is supposed to be our leader, commander in chief and the leader of the free world. 

It's also like Sara is trying to be the devils advocate, Sunny seemed a little quiet today, Joy still shell shocked (like me) and I am starting to appreciate Whoopi.

ETA - to delete one primary and add the general.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 11

I'm sorry if Jennifer and other performers have been getting death threats (never acceptable) but their "people" should have warned them about the backlash for accepting. I'm happy every time I hear someone has declined to perform. I guess the military bands have no choice. 

• Love 15
29 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

I could not disagree more. This is exactly the right time. True patriots will protest and not participate in the inauguration farce. There is no coming together or kumbaya with Trump. I'm wearing black on Friday and a pink pussy hat on Saturday. 

That's the thing. I don't want a kumbaya for Trump, I want a kumbaya for our country I guess. I mean, several of my own family members voted for Trump, and I now see the them reaching out for understanding. But I'm still thinking about them, "How on earth could you vote for this pig? How can you be so excited about millions of people losing healthcare?"  There are people who voted for Trump that I can't forgive. They're lost causes. But there are some people that feel we are greater than the sum of our parts. They didn't vote for Trump, but they still love this country.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tunia said:

LOL Silver Raven ~ Barbara Walters would be proud of you.  That was always her favorite song to warble when discussing discrimination/racism, and I could barely read your post without hearing her voice.                                                                                               

My mother did the same with the song "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught." I think it is a generational thing -- a good generational thing. I could sing it through when I was a little kid.

• Love 2