Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Leap of Faith

I'm really tired of Juliette's storyline & her constant whining (by the way, is her physical therapist transgender?) & I think it's really stupid for everyone to be pushing oxycontin onto somebody who has been in rehab recently.

The best thing about this episode is that we got a Scarlett/Gunnar duet but no Scarlett/Gunnar drama!

I don't understand why Juliette, a known addict, was given oxycodone in the first place. While I totally understand her not wanting to jeopardize her sobriety, why didn't she just TELL THE DOCTOR that and ask him to prescribe something else? There are other pain medications. Hell, when my sister was in the hospital and the morphine was making her sick, she ended up just taking Advil.

I love that Avery totally has Juliette's number and I'm glad that he called her on it. She pushes everyone away and he knows it. I'm glad he was honest with her about needing some time and I'm glad that she understood why. I just wish that he hadn't decided he was ready to dive back in so quickly.

At first I thought they were going to have Deacon go the old jealous husband route (which always annoys me because I just can't with anyone who freaks out at the thought that another person might find their partner attractive) so it was nice to see that after he actually met the tech guy, he conceded that he was nice but weird.

Will was being totally immature this week, but it's not that surprising. As Avery pointed out, Kevin is Will's first real relationship with a man so Will is going through the kind of stuff that most people go through in their first real relationship. I just wish he would have been honest with Kevin from the beginning. It was obvious that he asked Kevin to move in with him because he felt guilty about being attracted to that famous designer guy which is why he was dragging his feet when it came to actually moving in together.

Heh, loved Avery response to Will's penguin anecdote: "That's nauseating." I also loved Will's guilty response: "Yeah, I know." But yay for the two of them hanging out and being supportive of each other's problems. I always love that, which is why I'm not so secretly happy that Will isn't moving out of the Bro Pad.

• Love 8

Before the season started, I kept reading about how the show would be mostly music, not even close. Still, I love it and it is one of my favorite shows. I love Deacon and Rayna together and was happy to see them discussing things as rational adults. I hope Rayna's decision to let the rich guy get involved with her label isn't going to backfire. I can only imagine him sending in his 22 year old minions to try to order around Rayna ((not going to end well). I'm a bit frustrated with Will's story. I get the point; he loves Kevin but also wants to explore what it's like to be in the dating world as himself. Sadly, he just can't have both since Kevin is in love and wants a one on one relationship. I do give a bit of a side idea on the idea that every man Will meets is coming on to him. Yes, WIll is a handsome friendly guy, but most gay people (like most straight people) aren not thinking romance and sex 24 hours a day. I could see the smarmy designer guy coming on to him, but not the apartment guy.

Juliette was being her usual, stubborn self, going over the head of her physical therapist so she could skip steps in therapy. Avery is a bit of saint in dealing with her. 

• Love 1

I swear, everyone in Nashville needs to chip in and buy Avery a nice vacation or something. He is a great dad, even when he is on his own, a long suffering and caring husband to Juliette even when she is being a huge pain, and he spends his extra time listening to his friends problems and giving advice. While always taking the time to make sure his hair is fabulous.

I liked all the Rayna and Deacon stuff, but I am already rolling my eyes at this whole stalker thing. We have enough drama with Maddie and her teen stuff, Deacon wanting his own life outside of Rayna, her label going under, and this whole thing with internet guy, didn't we have enough stuff going on? I know this is a soap, but come on!

Speaking of soaps, Juliet's life is just one giant soap opera plot after the next. Not that I am not enjoying her needing to accept help and finding God, but it would be nice if she had just a few episodes without depression of suicide attempts or plane crashes or something. She really is just amazingly lucky to have found Avery. He pushes her and isn't a doormat, but he still has infinite patience with all her drama. 

Well, its not surprising Will is having issues in his relationship. He came out, and now every gay who is so inclined within a 100 mile radius is hitting on him non stop. The poor guy probably cant even stop at an ATM without being propositioned 15 times by 15 different guys. On the one hand, he was finally honest, which is good. But he handled the whole thing horribly, which is bad. But this means he gets to keep hanging out at the Bro Pad, which is good. But he and his boyfriend broke up (again) and I like them, so that's bad. Still the best performer on the show though.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't understand why Juliette, a known addict, was given oxycodone in the first place. While I totally understand her not wanting to jeopardize her sobriety, why didn't she just TELL THE DOCTOR that and ask him to prescribe something else? There are other pain medications. Hell, when my sister was in the hospital and the morphine was making her sick, she ended up just taking Advil.

It sounded like she had told the doctor about being an addict and he said the dose wasn't something to worry about. Which is weird, and it is also weird that Avery would be okay with her taking it.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree. She should have made it clear that she's a recovering addict, has just begun to gotten the help that she's needed before the plane crash, and she doesn't feel comfortable with taking the oxy because of it. Even though her doctor would be aware of Juliette's past, as she had just done that public interview before the crash, telling the world what had happened to her, it's also on Juliette to also make it clear. But Juliette is still struggling with honesty and being open with people. She's still pushing people away, so I can see her not wanting to appear weak. 

What I do appreciate about Juliette is that she very complex and that she's not the good person we want her to be. She's incredibly flawed and she's someone who's shown her ugly side several times over. It's not pretty to watch and it's totally frustrating, but it actually makes me like Juliette more. It helps that they do allow characters to call her out. That being said, I still believe that she's on a redemption arc. Will she be a totally different person by the end of it? No, she'll probably still be insecure and stubborn and she'll still occasionally do the wrong thing for selfish reasons. But they've shown her trying to grow and be mature, and that's what makes all the difference for me. 

I really do applaud Avery for sticking by her, but I can see why he does, besides the obvious romantic reasons. They really do work as a couple, even more so now that they got over probably the worst of their issues. I can see why Juliette wanted to skip steps to be better. It's just who Juliette is, but she did recognize that she wasn't able to and she accepted it, which is must faster than he old Juliette would have. 

Yeah, so I'm not sure whether they're planting seeds for Zach to be the stalker, or they're going to be red herrings and it'll be someone else, like that random lady that showed up at the Bluebird (I don't know if we met her before this season). I mean, would stalkers actually get that up close and personal with the people they're infatuated with? 

Oh, Will. I can see why he is feeling like he has to lie to Kevin about his feelings, but it still sucks. I really do like Kevin, and I do think that Will has been in the closet for so long that he hasn't had the chance to explore a relationship with another guy. Kevin is his first boyfriend and now he's getting hit on publicly without prompting from Will. It has to be confusing and fast for him. He might just need some time to be single and dating around before settling into any form of serious relationship. I want to believe that Kevin and Will will get back together later down the road. I really do love them together. 

Have we gotten any Avery/Will scenes without Gunner? It was nice. 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

or they're going to be red herrings and it'll be someone else, like that random lady that showed up at the Bluebird (I don't know if we met her before this season

That was so bizarre; that was Megan Berry, the ACTUAL current mayor of Nashville.  I can't decide if I'm happy about the end to the political corruption storyline, or skeeved because the show crossed over a little too far into reality for me (Nashville resident).  I would assume she's not the stalker, however! 

• Love 2

Why can't Juliette just use medical marijuana?  I know it's not legal in Tennessee, but still...a stoned Juliette could be fun.

Yes, the physical therapist is transgender. Her name is Jen Richards.

I feel bad for Kevin but yeah...Will needs to sow his seeds a bit. Let's face it- the guy is a Grindr dreamboat even before the fame. Will needs to play the field a bit after spending so long pretending to be straight.

Interesting bit about Megan Berry. I didn't know she was the real mayor of Nashville. I honestly wondered if she was going to be Rayna's lesbian stalker.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I keep looking for someone with a ginormous contusion on the forehead, from where his or her noggin must have spidered the windshield of the Stalkermobile, but I guess that'd be too obvious, too.

CGS Kevin worries that the condo board might be homophobic, but Will steps through the door and the concierge/agent/whatever dude turns into Flirty Flirterson? O-kay then. Guess Will has a lot of "followers," if you know what I mean (and I'm certain that you do). Will may not be sure of what he wants, but it looks like his dimples have a pretty good idea...

lessthanzero: in the early days of the show, one thing I really liked was the local settings. The Tennessean used to have a great blog where they noted all the insider places. It seems to me that's pretty much gone now, and the show is more or less generic in its setting (perhaps so it can move if the taxpayer subsidies run out). Is that true, or are there local shout-outs I can't spot because the newspaper doesn't do the blog any more?

• Love 1

I'm loving the heck out of this season; I thought each segment went by so fast that I suspected they were putting in more commercial breaks, but it was just that the storyline flowed so smoothly.  I do miss Glen and Bucky a bit.  In reading past seasons of comments I see where some viewers confused Bucky and Glen, even to the point of thinking they were the same person, but to me they were important secondary characters.  After all, Juliette's relationship with Glen, though rocky, is the longest and healthiest relationship she has ever had.  Andy Bucky probably knows more about Rayna and Deacon, in all phases of their relationship, than anyone.  If I were Rayna and Deacon, I would make sure I stayed on Bucky's good side, because I have to believe that he could write a book and make a killing. ; )

• Love 2

I must admit when I heard Rayna floating this idea of laying out all their dirty laundry in an album, my first thought was Gak, why would anybody buy that. It had disaster written all over it. They're not young and hip any more, who is really going to care?

Will is pathetic, couldn't commit to a pizza order in case somebody else disapproves. Kevin you can do so much better. 

I like that Juliette can see herself a little more clearly these days, but it's hard to stop the habits of a life time even though you mean well, because you always go back to what you know when you are unsure. The show is portraying this nicely and so is Hayden. I laughed at the angel lady trying to start her old bomb, and I could just see what was going through her mind - why did I have to be so noble?

Scarlett and Gunnar are just dull. 

The music has been lovely, don't stop, show. Also, more Maddie and Daphne in all their sisterly confusion. They have great chemistry and talent.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, wendyg said:

lessthanzero: in the early days of the show, one thing I really liked was the local settings. The Tennessean used to have a great blog where they noted all the insider places. It seems to me that's pretty much gone now, and the show is more or less generic in its setting (perhaps so it can move if the taxpayer subsidies run out). Is that true, or are there local shout-outs I can't spot because the newspaper doesn't do the blog any more?

Haha, I'll have to take note during the episodes!  I barely notice anymore; the scene with Mayor Barry just took me out of my suspension of disbelief, because it was so awkward.

If you want to read funny recaps, check out the Nashville Scene!

Up until two years ago I lived in the neighborhood that has Deacon's house and the Bro House (and now this alleged corner where Maddie's new busker performer boyfriend dude is playing his guitar - which, by the way, has no people mulling about like a street festival; it's just a regular street corner).  A lot of scenes are still shot in that neighborhood.  The coffeehouse Maddie went into is a real place (the Post East) but, and that corner is in East Nashville, but again, no street festival atmosphere outside.  Not ALL of Nashville is a stage!  :-D

Also, this episode, the Icon condo building Will and Kevs were checking out is quite real.  I shall pay more attention to this!

Edited by LessThanZero
  • Love 2

I thought that it was a farmers' market, not a street festival. We have buskers and singers at the weekly farmers' market by my house all the time so I just assumed that's what it was. Since shooting on location often means shutting down the street, I thought the show was trying to make it look like there was a real reason why there was no traffic in the background. 

Alas, Will and Kevin are done for (well.... for now, at least.)  I guess it was destined to happen, since Will really is just so new to dating guys now, and isn't ready for a long term relationship, but it still sucks for Kevin, and I wish Will had more willing to admit it earlier, instead of having to finally confess after Kevin found the application (way to hide the evidence there, Will.)  I'm not sure what will happen now.  I can see Will being single for a a while, but I can also seem him coming back to Kevin after a few months, because I do think he really loves him, even if he isn't ready for a serious relationship, yet.  Only thing that kind of bugged me was Kevin's idea to pretend he and Will were just roommates due to possible homophobia, because I'm pretty sure Will is pretty well-known now, and most everyone would put two and two together real quickly.

Zach is back and wants to make a deal with Rayna to help Highway 65.  So, far everything seems up and up, and even Deacon finally agrees that this could be a good thing.  But like with most shows, I'm going to guess something will derail it.  Also, Rayna's stalker has taken it to the next level, and sent her a creepy package with letters and roses.  At this point, I think both Zach and social media guy are way too obvious, so now I'm waiting for it to be someone else.

Now Juliette is pushing herself too hard to get better, not taking any of the medicine due to fear of getting addicted again, and still lashing out at Avery.  Avery finally had enough and blew up at her, and they seem to be getting back together.  Those two are so crazy, and yet I still root for them!

Both Gunnar/Scarlett's duo and Will's song were great.

Avery continues to be the best person with giving out advice.  If they ever needed extra money, Avery could make a killing with this.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:37 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought that it was a farmers' market, not a street festival. We have buskers and singers at the weekly farmers' market by my house all the time so I just assumed that's what it was. Since shooting on location often means shutting down the street, I thought the show was trying to make it look like there was a real reason why there was no traffic in the background. 

I was just listening while I was doing something else (packing books, as I'm moving) so I didn't see it, but I think it probably was the Farmers' Market.  A few weeks ago they put out a casting call and the location was the Farmers' Market.  I'll watch it again On Demand and try to pay better attention.

I just can't get into this show this season.  I'm thisclose to muting the TV whenever Maddie is on the screen. She's such a PITA.  And we never see Daphne.

Avery is always defending himself (loudly) and Juliette is so damn annoying (in a different way from Maddie) I want to just slap her.

Who else is on the show?

Stupid Will, although a fav; love Deacon; barely tolerate Rayna ..... that's enough.  Can't remember the others.

Sorry, guys, just pointing out for fun that IRL the place that's set to look like a farmer's market or street fair is just a regular street corner.  The coffee shop Maddie went into was The Post East; the street corner was 17th and Fatherland (where The Post East is located), set like a street fair. It was fun to live in that neighborhood, random Nashville shoots like that happened quite frequently.

Edited by LessThanZero

It does seem like they do still film regularly at various spots around town and even farther out - Will's mother's funeral was filmed at a church out in Ashland City, near where I work - but they've recreated a lot of the sets on their soundstage.  I actually got a chance to go into the Bluebird set and it is quite surreal at how real it looks.

I had to laugh out loud when Megan Barry showed up.  That woman is EVERYWHERE!  When she and Rayna hugged, it reminded me that Connie campaigned for her when she was running for office.

Trying to catch up on Nashville, and after the previous episode, wasn't sure I would continue with it.  But, NO MADDIE this episode!  Yay!  Makes the show 10 times better for me.  And yes to Scarlett and Gunnar just singing with no stupid relationship drama.

Do you think Connie Britton has had some work done?  I keep looking at her face, especially around the eyes, and something just looks different.  If she did, it was good work since it is subtle for Hollywood standards.

I thought when Rayna was moisturizing her legs and arms that Deacon was going to get involved quickly.  Rowwrr!

• Love 1

I think these writers really get Juliette. They're not making her ridiculous like the old writers were but she's still that impatient person. But they've also given her a better sense of how to play nice instead of walking around barking demands and scheming. When the nurse brought up oxycodone I was surprised nothing came up about her mom or substance abuse. I know they were kind of fighting but that Avery/Juliette argument after he brought her the sandwich felt very realistic. The dialogue was great. Though Juliette should not be throwing pills when Cadence could easily pick one up and put it in her mouth. Their other fight at the bathroom was great too. 

The thing with Will and the realtor felt very flirty. I feel like we keep flirting with danger and I'm just waiting for them to break up him and Kevin.

Can I say I find it odd that it took a move to CMT for them to suddenly have more racial diversity and a trans actress?

I get why they're playing All of Me again but god, it's dull. The melody is so uninteresting.

Again with the Will/Kevin hugs. I know not everyone kisses hello but come on now. But aw, he calls him penguin. Adorable.

I paused the letter to read it. I have a feeling the "there/their" confusion might come back as a way of identifying the letter writer. 

"He's your first real relationship. It's not like you've been with a lot of dudes." Actually... I don't think it's so much the commitment thing. I think Will was used to sleeping around a lot so of course it'll be a big shift. But other than that, the Will/Avery conversation was also pretty realistic. I get Will's uncertainty about how to interpret his feelings.

The Will/Kevin scene at the end felt like a real conflict but I'm not sure I bought how it played out. 

That sounded like a Will song... but I've never liked Will songs all that much. 

Also, Rayna's stalker has taken it to the next level, and sent her a creepy package with letters and roses. 

Now that I think about it... he didn't mail it and so they assumed he'd gotten into the house. And the best he could do was a manila envelope with rose petals? I get that if you're shipping something through the mail but I don't know... maybe I just watched too much Pretty Little Liars.