Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Fighting Back

• Start Topic

The Good Fight Review: The Verdict on the Spinoff Is In (and It's... Good)

B+

The premiere spends a fair amount of time laying pipe, so Episode 2 provides a more accurate picture of what the series will look like moving forward. And it looks really good. As with The Good Wife, the offshoot juggles a case of the week with several serialized — and thus far compelling — story threads (one of which is the mystery over what really happened to Diane’s fortune). Good Wife fans will also recognize the dramatic score and the Kings’ signature breakneck pacing, as well as additional familiar faces, most notably the sublime Sarah Steele as Eli’s no-nonsense daughter Marissa.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE: The Good Fight stumbles a bit after the bell but quickly recovers to deliver, if not a K.O., at the very least a victory by unanimous decision.

Remote Controlled: ‘The Good Fight’ EPs and Christine Baranski on How Election Gave Show a ‘Kick in the A–‘

The producers reveal that the idea of spinning off “The Good Wife” was always in the back of their minds, given the richness of their characters.

“The characters are so real to me that I always have the sense that they’re off living their own lives, even if they don’t happen to have a camera trained on them,” says Michelle King. “For me, they all were doing their own little shows. We just didn’t happen be telling those stories. I just wasn’t consciously thinking, oh, it’s now time to be making that television show.”

As with the original drama, the series will also reflect what’s happening in the news. As soon as Donald Trump won the presidential election, the producers rewrote the first episode. “It was a kick in the a– to the show creatively,” says Robert King. “It gave a creative spine to the show.”

“Our characters are political,” says Michelle King. “It isn’t so much that we want to impose politics on the show. It’s that we have a show with characters that are politically aware. They are going to be responding to what’s going on in the news.”

• Love 1

If networks keep making better shows like this that are only on a pay platform, it helps me make the decision more and more to cut the 'big cable' cord.  There are options besides Comcast and Verizon out there.

The Good Fight Season 2 Episode Count Revealed (Hint: It's More Than 10)

According to Entertainment Weekly, the CBS All Access legal drama’s episode count will rise to 13 in Season 2. (A CBS rep has yet to officially confirm the EW report.)

From Ask Ausiello:

Question: Does the fact that Diane and Kurt got back together in the Good Fight finale mean that we’ll be seeing more of Gary Cole in Season 2? —Robert

Ausiello: “That is such a good question for the showrunners of Veep,” exec producer Michelle King hedged with a chuckle when I posed your question to her. The good news? As fellow EP Robert King notes, “He was doing Veep while we shot Season 1 and we were able to skirt around that and use him when we could. So we’re intent on making that work again.”
  • Love 1

That's too bad. I liked her. When they added 3 regulars I had a feeling at least one of the season one regulars might be leaving or going to recurring. We will know soon if anyone else is exiting. 

Edited by Oreo2234

We never learned much about Barbara, so it's hard to say I'll miss the character. But I think I would have preferred learning about her over watching Maia run around with the frightened rabbit expression.

• Love 3

This might be of interest to some.

Amazon has just added CBS All-Access as a channel for $9.99 a month.

You can add channels through an Amazon account, play whatever content those channels offer on a device that has the Amazon app, and then delete the channels whenever you want.  The channel can be added again whenever you want (like when a specific show airs).

It's a way to stream content without having to get familiar with a whole other streaming platform. 

Edited by Ohmo

From Deadline:  ‘The Good Fight’ Casts Katrina Lenk -

Katrina Lenk (The Band’s Visit) has booked a recurring role on the second season of CBS All Access drama series The Good Fight, from The Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King. In Season 2, the Chicago murder rate is on the rise, and Diane (Christine Baranski), Lucca (Cush Jumbo), Maia (Rose Leslie) and the rest of the law firm find themselves under psychological assault when a client at another firm kills his lawyer for overcharging. Lenk will play Nafatali Amado, the fiancée of Colin Sweeney (Dylan Baker). Lenk currently stars on Broadway in The Band’s Visit. She’s repped by Brady, Brannon and Rich Talent and Soffer/Namoff Entertainment.

Jackie, I think I found the answer. CBS All Access is launching in Canada on April 23. $5.99 cdn per month, first 30 days free. You can go to cbsallaccess.ca for more info. I was afraid that this would happen. Now I wonder what is going to become of a couple of my other preferred shows that were on Space, now known as CTV SciFi, i.e., ST Discovery and the Orville. 

I think it sucks that CBS makes viewers pay to watch this show. Particularly as we're all on stay at home orders. And it should have always been shown on network TV, it's by far one of the very best shows out there. But no, CBS has to fuck with us and squeeze every last dime out of viewers. How nice would it be if they ran the last 3 seasons on network and then ran this one?

What? First Maia and now Lucca? I don't like that at all.

The show has definitely had a lot of cast turnover over the years.  Just looking at the first season regular cast, only Christine Baranski and Sarah Steele are left. 

13 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

The show has definitely had a lot of cast turnover over the years.  Just looking at the first season regular cast, only Christine Baranski and Sarah Steele are left. 

TGW also had a lot of fluctuation and there was a lot of talk about Julianna Margulies being difficult to work with (so much gossip around Archie Panjabi's exit and Matthew Goode leaving after one season, plus Josh Charles' character's death). Of course now I wonder if there is another common factor?

I hope Delroy now follows his calling and records audiobooks for me to fall asleep to. He has a great voice.