Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Fighting Back

• Start Topic

(edited)

Mandy Patinkin Joins The Good Fight Season 5 as Highly Unqualified Judge

Patinkin’s casting in the 10-episode Season 5 will help fill the void left by exiting cast members Cush Jumbo (Luca) and Delroy Lindo (Adrian). Also to that end, as previously reported, Aussie actress Charmaine Bingwa will fill the series regular role of Carmen Moyo, a tough and unsentimental lawyer whose working-class background allows her to bond with Reddick, Boseman & Lockhart’s most infamous, difficult clients.

As TVLine reported last spring, both Jumbo and Lindo will not be returning for Season 5. The COVID-19 crisis — which forced The Good Fight to cut Season 4 short — precluded the Kings from wrapping up the pair’s storylines. The EPs, however, remained hopeful that both actors would be able to put in a guest appearance or two in Season 5 to bring closure to their characters.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Useful 2

The Good Fight Season 5: Cush Jumbo and Delroy Lindo Returning to 'Give Audience a Proper Goodbye'

“We couldn’t be more grateful that Delroy and Cush will be returning in season 5 to finish off their arcs,” the Kings said in a statement to TVLine “We adore the actors and their characters, and are delighted to give the audience a chance to say a proper goodbye.”

Production on Season 5, meanwhile, is currently underway in New York. A premiere date has not been announced.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Good Fight: Wayne Brady Joins Season 5 as Love Interest for

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Let’s Make a Deal emcee will join the Paramount+ legal drama’s upcoming fifth season in the recurring role of Del Cooper, a comedian-turned-executive at a top streaming service who intersects romantically and professionally with the lawyers at the firm. (Have a theory about which cast member Brady is being paired with?

Edited by milkyaqua

The Good Fight Scores Early Season 6 Renewal, After Just Four Episodes

The Good Fight will go on, now that Paramount+ has renewed the acclaimed legal drama for a sixth season — and just four episodes into its current run, marking its speediest renewal to date.

The first four episodes of the 10-episode Season 5 are currently available to stream on Paramount+, with new installments dropping every Thursday. (An episode count for Season 6 is not yet available.)

• Love 2

Hints about Gary Cole's (Kurt McVeigh) role in TGF season 6:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=436011174550148&id=100044238079245

^A nice 3 minute video of Gary Cole interviewed on The Talk, as he's now the lead actor on NCIS. (Aired November 2021, I just found it. Public facebook video).

He says he will still appear (his recurring role) on The Good Fight, if TGF writers write his character in the new TGF season. He has always worked tons. I've never heard of a CBS show lead actor doubling as another recurring character! (He was also a recurring character on nbc's Chicago Fire, but this cbs talk show didn't mention that).

Imo, I think TGF writers will write Kurt a reduced role as Gary is now busy with 12-hour days as the NCIS lead.

In this interview, he looks & sounds a lot older/ more tired/ thinner than he did on TGF season 5 (He's 65).

• Useful 1

Andre Braugher Joins The Good Fight as Series Regular in Season 6

The Emmy winner joins the Paramount+ legal drama as Ri’Chard Lane, a showman lawyer and rainmaker who is forced on Liz (Audra McDonald) as a new name partner. A force of nature, Ri’Chard is “a wild mix of brilliance, geniality, religion and joyful hedonism. In short, he’s a handful.”

“Our dream of an actor is always someone who can mix comedy and drama equally, and André is exactly that,” said creators/showrunners Robert and Michelle King, in a statement. “His work on Men of a Certain Age, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Homicide has been amazing and funny. We’re ecstatic that he finally has time in his schedule to come play.”

• Love 3

The Good Fight: Carrie Preston to Return as Elsbeth Tascioni in Season 6

Preston — who originated the role of socially-stunted attorney Elsbeth on CBS’ The Good Wife before bringing her over to the Paramount+ spinoff for four episodes during Season 1 and 2 — will appear in one Season 6 installment. As Diane (Christine Baranski) finds herself getting further from reality, suddenly she and Elsbeth are in a similar headspace.

The actress will also return behind the camera in Season 6 to direct another episode of the legal drama. (She helmed her first episode of the series in Season 5.)

• Love 4

TVLine Items: Slattery Joins Good Fight, Big Mouth Renewed and More

He will play Lyle Bettencourt, “a brilliant, sophisticated and sensitive physician who helps Diane through a crazy time.” Slattery joins fellow new addition Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine), as well as Good Wife alums Alan Cumming and Carrie Preston, who will reprise their roles as Eli Gold and Elsbeth Tascioni, respectively.

“We couldn’t be more excited to have the enormously talented, usually-too-busy John Slattery join the cast,” showrunners Robert and Michelle King in a statement to THR. “We feel like we’ve been chasing him forever.”

^I saw that news about John Slattery joining announced on TGF's official instagram today. The writers are preparing an option to replace Diane's husband Kurt McVeigh on TGF, as the Kurt actor Gary Cole is now very busy being the new lead on NCIS (since fall 2021, and NCIS has been renewed through May 2023 next year at least. Likely even longer as NCIS is a stalwart show).

Slattery's character will interact (intimately) with Diane as a dr, is charming, is a conventionally attractive older man like Kurt... Hmm...

NBC's Chicago Fire also had to create another character to replace Gary Cole's recurring character (Fire chief Grissom antagonist who wasn't all bad) a few years back, because Cole was so booked with other work.

The Good Fight: Julianna Margulies Not Expected to Appear in Final Season

Following last week’s news that Season 6 will serve as the legal spinoff’s swan song (read full story here), co-creator Michelle King tells TVLine that a cameo by Margulies’ Alicia Florrick is not in the cards.

“It’s not our expectation that she is going to come back,” the EP maintains.

A previous attempt to lure Margulies to The Good Fight for a three-episode arc in Season 3 fell apart over money, with the actress telling our sister pub Deadline back in 2019 that the streamer (then-named CBS All Access) “refused to pay” her the per-episode salary she was earning on The Good Wife. Instead, she claimed that they offered her a guest-star rate.

“I’m not a guest star; I started the whole thing with The Good Wife,” Margulies said at the time. “I wanted to be paid my worth and stand up for equal pay. If Jon Hamm came back for a Mad Men spinoff or Kiefer Sutherland wanted to do a 24 spinoff, they would be paid.”

• Useful 2

https://www.readersfusion.com/entertainment/the-good-fight-season-6-release-date-cast-episode-details/amp/

I've never heard of this (tabloid?) news site, but it's the first article to tell me that TGF s6 is set one year after the events of the s5 finale. It also says that Diane's husband Kurt will appear in s6e1, which is interesting bc Gary Cole was still filming NCIS when filming began on the first few episodes of TGF s6.

Well, here's 3 more months to s6's premiere!

• Useful 1

I'm not sure how much I trust that site - didn't Rose Leslie leave at the end of season three and Maia written to be relocating to D.C.? IMDB confirms that was Leslie's last appearance. The site claims Maia and Lucca quit together in the season five finale. Cush Jumbo also exited after season four, though she had a credited appearance in the S5 premiere (can't remember what it consisted of, though).

https://ew.com/tv/the-good-fight-season-6-first-look-christine-baranski/

Article title and sub header: The Good Fight first look: Christine Baranski teases levitation and a fantasy threesome

The actress says Diane is "tempted away from her marriage" in the final season of the Good Wife spin-off.

-------

An interview with Baranski, published 7/19, hyping up s6.

Choice quote from me:

There's wonderful stuff [this season]. I'm literally in bed with two men in a fantasy sequence — I'm with Lyle Bettencourt, who appears in my bed as a fantasy, and Kurt [Gary Cole] is there, and I'm in the middle. It's like, what actress gets to have these great actors — it's like a man sandwich.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

PPP, considering who your icon is, I guess we know who you would choose!👍😎

Heehee, I love discussing Gary Cole in any way or form! It will be fun for many to see Kurt shirtless again. The last time Gary Cole filmed an mmf threesome, iirc, was in an 80's movie "Kiss The Sky" with a young CSI's William Petersen and the lass was Sheryl Lee I believe.

Cole and John Slattery were both recurring characters too in S4 of Desperate Housewives (I might rewatch on hulu). It's so funny how Slattery looks mostly the same, but Cole evolved from his "Office Space" look then into this silver fox now.

To stay on topic, the EW interview I posted tells us the timeline for s6 starting.

CHRISTINE BARANSKI: ...

The wonderful thing is that the season starts with Diane coming back from an Italian vacation. When season 9 ended, she was going off [on vacation], having willfully demoted herself and stepping down from being a name partner. She agreed to step down and take an office downstairs. And she said, "I need a vacation." We see her come back from this vacation feeling like she really, for the first time, was not happy about getting on an airplane and having to come back into the fray.

PS: in TGF s6, Kurt has a beard (Cole's same look he has on NCIS now).

Good Fight's Final Season to Provide Surprising Update on Alicia and Peter

In the season’s second episode, which drops Sept. 15 on Paramount+, Alan Cumming’s returning Eli Gold drops some surprising intel about Alicia and Peter, the legacy Good Wife characters originated by Julianna Margulies and Chris Noth, respectively (neither of whom appear in the episode). The scene finds Eli providing Diane (Christine Baranski) with a present-day update on the Florricks, who were last seen in The Good Wife finale in May 2016. Viewers will also learn the current state of Diane’s relationship with Alicia in the wake of the slap heard ’round the world.

The Good Fight Creators: The Series Finale Will Be 'Cataclysmic'

“It’s a cataclysmic episode that takes on a lot of violence,” series co-creator/EP Robert King reveals to TVLine. “There’s a lot going on. It doesn’t treat itself like a last episode, even though it features a lot of the touchstones that you need from a last episode.”

Asked whether the series finale — which is slated to drop on Paramount+ on Nov. 10 — was crafted as a conclusion to The Good Fight or the entire 13-year Good franchise (which includes CBS’ The Good Wife), fellow co-creator/EP Michelle King says, “The whole season is meant to be the culmination of the [Good] universe, more than just the last episode.”