Type keyword(s) to search

Fences (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Here's the topic for the film version of Fences, the August Wilson play about an African-American family in the 1950s, with Denzel Washington and Viola Davis reprising their Tony-winning roles. If the buzz I've heard about Ms. Davis' performance alone is any indication, then she should start writing her Oscar acceptance speech now. 

• Love 1

@choclatechip45 So happy to read your post.  I was OBSESSED with Cory.  Everything regarding Cory made me cry.  I was a mess.  I'm so intrigued by the actor now.

Warning, this movie is long and feels long.  With the previews, my experience was more than 2.5 hours and felt like 3.  But, I loved the movie and it and Arrival are my top 2 of the year so far.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So happy to read your post.  I was OBSESSED with Cory.  Everything regarding Cory made me cry.  I was a mess.  I'm so intrigued by the actor now.

I didn't cry, but I almost did at the end when he is singing with his little sister. I hope the actor who plays him has a great career.

• Love 5

Me too. I think this could be a career-making role. I thought he was wonderful.

There were so many things to notice in this movie. I hope Viola earns the Oscar she is due. When she said that line about not taking 18 years to "realize the soil was hard and rocky and wasn't never gonna bloom," the whole theater, including me, let out a big "Mmm!" The line and her delivery of it knocks you back. Denzel's direction is tight, close, and you can feel that Troy feels pressed small. Denzel gained weight for the role and his carriage is different, slow, stooped. He drags his feet. The moment that stood out most to me is when he finds out Alberta died in childbirth and he sits on the edge of the dresser, slumped over. He looks defeated.

The other moment that stood out to me is when Troy finds out his mistake with Gabe's papers and says "Hell, I can't read! I didn't know what they said." I cannot imagine not being able to read. How defenseless that must make you!

• Love 6
On 12/26/2016 at 2:33 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:Warning, this movie is long and feels long.  With the previews, my experience was more than 2.5 hours and felt like 3.  But, I loved the movie and it and Arrival are my top 2 of the year so far.

This except I didn't love the movie. Rose's reaction, though it may be typical/realistic, to Troy's secret was a huge turnoff especially given his attitude.

The movie felt like a play if that makes sense and it definitely felt tedious, very tedious. The performances were solid but that wasn't enough to make me like/love the movie instead of just tolerating it.

• Love 1

See, I got the sense that Troy knew exactly what he signed in regards to Gabe but did it because he needed the money. He was ashamed of it so he lied, but even if he was illiterate he knew well enough in the past what needed to be done to keep Gabe out of the hospital. 

I just saw it and was blown away. I get what everyone is saying about it feeling like a play. That's a clear flaw and I get why Denzel isn't getting much buzz anymore for Director. The acting,though, is spectacular. Just engrave Viola's Oscar now. Denzel was also stunning. He just was so physical and powerful while still being this beaten down man. Incredible. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Empress1 said:

When she said that line about not taking 18 years to "realize the soil was hard and rocky and wasn't never gonna bloom," the whole theater, including me, let out a big "Mmm!"

The line that got a big reaction in my theater, (besides Gabe's, "And that's how that goes!" at the end) was Rose's, "You're right, she's an innocent and it's wrong to visit the sins of the father on the child. So I will be a mother to this child, but you, you will be a womanless man."

• Love 9

The "womanless man" line was spoken so fast and low that I couldn't grasp it, but the crowd really reacted around me so I felt I had got the gist.  I Googled the script when I came home to know exactly what she said.

The man sitting behind me praised the actor who played Gabe.  When I saw the name in the credits I knew it was the actor who is probably most famous for playing Bubba Blue in Forrest Gump.  I think that's really cool.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0932112/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I saw this yesterday and I thought it was just ok.  I agree with others that it felt more like a play.  

I didn't like the "you don't like me scene" that's shown in the movie previews.  While I understand what Denzel was saying about not expecting everyone else to like you, I don't think it's unreasonable for a child to want and expect his parent to like him.  I thought Denzel's acting in that scene was overwrought.

• Love 1

Heh. I think one of the reasons I loved it so much was that it felt like a play, especially since I have seen it on stage before. Therefore, that wasn't a distraction for me. However, I do believe that in order to be a real contender for Best Director, you need to translate the material from play to movie. I can understand why no one is really talking about him for Best Director.

That being said, I loved it. The acting is spectacular. Viola Davis should go ahead and clear a place off on her shelf for her Oscar. I also thought Denzel was excellent; he really seemed to transform into Troy. Also, August Wilson did a really good job translating his play into a screenplay; the integrity of the story was there. I didn't feel as if I were missing anything. I also thought the actor that played Cory did a great job. I hope to see him in more projects.

• Love 7

This was an incredible film. The cast was great across the board, but IMO Viola Davis was the standout. She drew me into the character of Rose from the moment she came on screen. I haven't seen this on the stage, but I have seen other August Wilson plays, and this adaptation captured the feel of his plays. And what a joy it was to see Stephen Henderson, who I consider to be an August Wilson MVP, in this film.

I also really loved Denzel Washington's direction.

I'm just so happy that this movie exceeded my (admittedly high) expectations.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

I just got back from seeing the movie and it was amazing. You could definitely see the play in the movie but that didn't bother me, though I do think it will keep the directing from getting acknowledged for awards. 

The entire cast was incredible, but I agree that Viola Davis was on another level. 

Just fantastic. 

• Love 3

Great performances all around. You understood each character, their motivations, their biases, and their emotions. God, I felt for Corey.  When Lion is remarking how well Corey has done for himself, you can see the hurt on his face of the unknown with respect to football.

That said, the direction was weak. As, save some elements (the slow progression of the fence over the scenes, which is not directly addressed by the characters), the me f I'm of film wasn't well explored. The house and yards felt cramped, but never as cramped as Minnie's Haberdashery in The Hateful Eight, or the Baseball House in Everybody Wants Some!

The dialogue drives the movie, I just wish it had been better supported by the visual

Man, the words!  The words, words, words, words, words.  Such a word-dense movie.  And I loved it all.

Others have mentioned Viola and Denzel, but I want to point out how great Mikelti was as Gabe.  He was tremendous.

I also want to point out the set design.  The house looked so real, and lived-in, and I didn't notice any anachronisms. Not saying there weren't any.

• Love 6
On 12/28/2016 at 11:14 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

This was an incredible film. The cast was great across the board, but IMO Viola Davis was the standout. She drew me into the character of Rose from the moment she came on screen. I haven't seen this on the stage, but I have seen other August Wilson plays, and this adaptation captured the feel of his plays. And what a joy it was to see Stephen Henderson, who I consider to be an August Wilson MVP, in this film.

I totally agree. Viola Davis knocked it out the park. I agree that the movie felt like a play at some points, but whenever Viola spoke, I felt like I was watching a movie. Someone on another thread said her performance was over-the-top. I completely agree. Viola's performance was subtle yet powerful, and her one "loud" scene--the snot scene in the backyard--showed how restrained Rose tried to be, even in her anger and her feelings of betrayal. 

On 12/27/2016 at 11:50 AM, GodsBeloved said:

Rose's reaction, though it may be typical/realistic, to Troy's secret was a huge turnoff especially given his attitude.

In what way was her reaction a turnoff? In Rose's mind, they'd been a team for 18 years. (BTW, how many times did one of them say "18 years"? That could be a new drinking game).  But in Troy's mind, being home with Rose and Cory had become an unhappy burden, and the only way he found happiness was in the arms of another woman. As Rose pointed out, they'd both sacrificed some of their dreams in order to be together. And she also pointed out that Troy was the one who made their home life so dreary. All Troy did was fuss and complain about everything. He found a way to shoot down anything good in someone's life.  He didn't want his son to play music--and refused to possibly enjoy himself by watching him play. He refused to let his son play football, something Cory enjoyed and could possibly lead to a college scholarship and a better life for all of them. Troy was content to have his son repeat the same hand-to-mouth life he led. 

Just because Troy was contrite, it doesn't change the fact that he betrayed Rose in the worst way he possibly could. Rose had every right to react the way she did. Especially when Troy said he cheated on her to escape the pressures of home. Pressures he only made worse with his bad attitude and stony heart. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, topanga said:

In what way was her reaction a turnoff? In Rose's mind, they'd been a team for 18 years. (BTW, how many times did one of them say "18 years"? That could be a new drinking game).  But in Troy's mind, being home with Rose and Cory had become an unhappy burden, and the only way he found happiness was in the arms of another woman. As Rose pointed out, they'd both sacrificed some of their dreams in order to be together. And she also pointed out that Troy was the one who made their home life so dreary. All Troy did was fuss and complain about everything. He found a way to shoot down anything good in someone's life.  He didn't want his son to play music--and refused to possibly enjoy himself by watching him play. He refused to let his son play football, something Cory enjoyed and could possibly lead to a college scholarship and a better life for all of them. Troy was content to have his son repeat the same hand-to-mouth life he led. 

Just because Troy was contrite, it doesn't change the fact that he betrayed Rose in the worst way he possibly could. Rose had every right to react the way she did. Especially when Troy said he cheated on her to escape the pressures of home. Pressures he only made worse with his bad attitude and stony heart. 

Troy was, indeed, a bitter man.  Fuss and complain is right.  It's wonder that Rose stayed with him all those years.  

I loved everyone in the movie except Troy.  Honestly, I got tired of seeing closeups of Troy/Denzel just yap yap yapping.  I wanted somebody to smack him in mouth.  I would've loved to have seen how James Earl Jones played the role on stage.  Somehow, I don't think he would have been as annoying.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, topanga said:

Not only cheated to escape, but told her straight up "I can't give that [the other woman] up." Like, his home life is so unbearable that he can only survive it by having a side piece.

I listen to a podcast called "Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time, Period" (it's great) and one of the hosts, W. Kamau Bell, pointed out that Troy is a good family man and a terrible family man at the same time. He goes to work every day, gives his paycheck to his wife, gets a promotion, they have a house (that was somewhat ill-gotten, but still) ... yet he stifles his son, doesn't like him*, and has a baby with another woman. And Troy himself kind of makes that point - he says he always comes home, meaning he doesn't sleep outside of the home, as though that's some honorable thing even though he's behaving dishonorably.

*And while I agree that we should be less concerned about being liked and more concerned about being done right by, I apply that to, like, my coworkers and people on the street, not my parents. I want my parents to like me!

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Empress1 said:

*And while I agree that we should be less concerned about being liked and more concerned about being done right by, I apply that to, like, my coworkers and people on the street, not my parents. I want my parents to like me!

Yes, that's what I said.

Thanks, Silver Raven for that clip.  Looks like Troy is an ass, no matter who plays him.  I'd say James Earl Jones is more frightening than Denzel.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, topanga said:

I was more than ok with Rose reading Troy. I loved that part. I did however think she thought his cheating meant somehow she wasn't good enough. If my perception is wrong I'm ok with that but this type of thing (women thinking they are somehow at fault for a man's cheating ways/falling "out of love" with) touches a nerve with me.

I should have mentioned the scene that really stuck in my craw. I absolutely hated when Rose went to Troy's job asking when he was coming home. This mofo has basically told you he doesn't want you, would much rather be with baby momma, IS with baby momma, is flaunting it in your face and acting as if he's justified in his actions and its Rose who goes crawling to him asking when he's coming home. This coupled with her thinking she's at fault for Troy's cheating is the reaction I was talking about.

I didn't think Troy was contrite at all and that made it worse. Even when he brought the child home for Rose to raise, I felt he was still arrogant and didn't feel one bit of contrition.

I did love that Rose took the baby and told Troy he was a woman less man(though I wonder if and how long Rose stayed true to that). I wish she would have left him but that's a 2017 woman talking and I get that things were different back then.

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 6
On 2016-12-27 at 11:50 AM, GodsBeloved said:

This except I didn't love the movie. Rose's reaction, though it may be typical/realistic, to Troy's secret was a huge turnoff especially given his attitude.

The movie felt like a play if that makes sense and it definitely felt tedious, very tedious. The performances were solid but that wasn't enough to make me like/love the movie instead of just tolerating it.

I think this was the first movie starring Denzel that I didn't love. It was long and boring and played one note - the same note - for 3 hours.

I had to FF through most of the 2nd half and by the time I got to the end, it seemed someone had died and there was a whole lot of Boo Hoo. But I couldn't muster up the energy to find out who it was. I just didn't care. People really cried when the mentally challenged character tried to play his tumpet and failed. I couldn't understand why people cared that much. There was no establishing story as to why his trumpet was so important. Or maybe I just FF'd through it.

If I'm mistaken, then I suppose I will have to apologize. But it was just so tedious and ponderous to try and keep focused for 3 hours. I'm sorry, Denzel.

• Love 2

Another thing I forgot to mention was the use of the n-word throughout the movie, especially Troy in the opening scene when he was on the garbage truck with his buddy.  I was almost ready to walk out of the theater after about 10 minutes because of that.  I grew up in a small town not far from Pittsburgh, and I never heard anyone throwing that word around like they did in the movie.  That was just something you didn't say about someone else.  We called folks other names, but not that.  I know August Wilson was born in Pittsburgh and maybe that's how they talked there, but we never went to Pittsburgh so I don't know.  

• Love 1

People really cried when the mentally challenged character tried to play his tumpet and failed. I couldn't understand why people cared that much. There was no establishing story as to why his trumpet was so important. Or maybe I just FF'd through it.

In August Wilson's century cycle, there is always a certain magical element in the plays. It has to do with spirituality in the black community. If you're not familiar with his work, I can see how that can be confusing.

I had to FF through most of the 2nd half

How are you FFing when it's still in theaters?

I know August Wilson was born in Pittsburgh and maybe that's how they talked there, but we never went to Pittsburgh so I don't know.  

It's not just Pittsburgh; it's the Hill District. I think that neighborhood has a distinct character.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, LauraAnders said:

People really cried when the mentally challenged character tried to play his tumpet and failed. I couldn't understand why people cared that much. There was no establishing story as to why his trumpet was so important.

There was.  His name was Gabriel, and he was blowing his trumpet to open the gates of Heaven.  He talked about it the first time we met him, and toted his trumpet with him everywhere in case he needed it.  At the end, nothing happened the first time he tried to blow it, but the second time (though there still wasn't much in the way of sound produced), the clouds parted and the sun shone through.  That indicated to Gabriel at least that the gates of Heaven had opened for his brother Troy, so Gabe felt like he had done his job.  It was moving even for a heathen like me.

• Love 10
On 12/28/2016 at 10:22 AM, Ohwell said:

I saw this yesterday and I thought it was just ok.  I agree with others that it felt more like a play.  

I didn't like the "you don't like me scene" that's shown in the movie previews.  While I understand what Denzel was saying about not expecting everyone else to like you, I don't think it's unreasonable for a child to want and expect his parent to like him.  I thought Denzel's acting in that scene was overwrought.

I'm happy for you that you don't know how realistic and relatable it is to have your parent not like you.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm happy for you that you don't know how realistic and relatable it is to have your parent not like you.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic but, yes, I know that my parents (both deceased) liked me, as well as loved me. 

And I had simply stated in one of my previous post that I didn't think that it was unreasonable for a child to want and expect his parent to like him.  That's all I said.  Now, what happens in real life to some children is another story.  

• Love 1
On 1/5/2017 at 8:31 PM, Empress1 said:

Not only cheated to escape, but told her straight up "I can't give that [the other woman] up." Like, his home life is so unbearable that he can only survive it by having a side piece.

I listen to a podcast called "Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time, Period" (it's great) and one of the hosts, W. Kamau Bell, pointed out that Troy is a good family man and a terrible family man at the same time. He goes to work every day, gives his paycheck to his wife, gets a promotion, they have a house (that was somewhat ill-gotten, but still) ... yet he stifles his son, doesn't like him*, and has a baby with another woman. And Troy himself kind of makes that point - he says he always comes home, meaning he doesn't sleep outside of the home, as though that's some honorable thing even though he's behaving dishonorably.

That's my favorite podcast! And it's nice to have Kamau back. I didn't realize how much I'd missed him until I heard myself cheering when he did the intro. 

On 1/6/2017 at 0:19 PM, LauraAnders said:

I think this was the first movie starring Denzel that I didn't love. It was long and boring and played one note - the same note - for 3 hours.

I still loved the movie, but I didn't like Troy at all. Denzel usually brings something likable and charming even to despicable characters, so I suppose it's a testament to his acting that I couldn't stand Troy. Even in Training Day and American Gangster, where he played some seriously "bad hombres," I was able to find something to like or at least laugh about with Alonzo and Frank Lucas. But with Fences, all I wanted to do was punch Troy in the mouth. I actually wanted Cory to beat his dad with the baseball bat, and I'm normally not a violent person. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, topanga said:

I still loved the movie, but I didn't like Troy at all. Denzel usually brings something likable and charming even to despicable characters, so I suppose it's a testament to his acting that I couldn't stand Troy. Even in Training Day and American Gangster, where he played some seriously "bad hombres," I was able to find something to like or at least laugh about with Alonzo and Frank Lucas. But with Fences, all I wanted to do was punch Troy in the mouth. I actually wanted Cory to beat his dad with the baseball bat, and I'm normally not a violent person. 

I wanted Rose to come out of the kitchen with a frying pan and knock him senseless upside the head while he's sitting in his chair running his g*ddam mouth.  And I am not a violent person either. ; )

• Love 3

Has Denzel Washington turned into a grumpy old man, or is he still playing Troy in public? On the Golden Globes last night, he looked pouty and irritable for almost the entire show. And in interviews, he gives one word answers and lecturers the journalists who interview him. 

I don't remember him always being like this. I know he's 62, but damn. 

• Love 1

Honestly, I haven't seen Denzel in that many interviews over the years, but he came off as grumpy and condescending last night, like he was "above" the GGs or something.  Pauletta looks like she's afraid to smile standing next to him.  He just doesn't look like a fun person to be around.

• Love 2
On January 8, 2017 at 3:11 PM, topanga said:

That's my favorite podcast! And it's nice to have Kamau back. I didn't realize how much I'd missed him until I heard myself cheering when he did the intro. 

I think Troy's idea of what a man/father are and should be were mixed up. I'm afraid that society in general has also confused what a good family man looks like. He's not both good and bad. 

• Love 1
On January 9, 2017 at 11:01 AM, topanga said:

Has Denzel Washington turned into a grumpy old man, or is he still playing Troy in public? On the Golden Globes last night, he looked pouty and irritable for almost the entire show. And in interviews, he gives one word answers and lecturers the journalists who interview him. 

I don't remember him always being like this. I know he's 62, but damn. 

Tired of the bullshit establishment perhaps? This man's body of work far surpasses those who are consistently rewarded and acknowledged. Not to mention his personal life has been beyond reproach. He's probably tired of the same ole shit, different day.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, announcergirl said:

Tired of the bullshit establishment perhaps? This man's body of work far surpasses those who are consistently rewarded and acknowledged. Not to mention his personal life has been beyond reproach. He's probably tired of the same ole shit, different day.

I agree. I've been a little tough on Denzel, in part because he didn't sound excited when an interviewer asked him about the Denzel Washington Is The Greatest Actor of All Time, Period podcast. In fact, he said he'd never heard of it even though Kevin Avery told him about the year before!! (I'm being mostly facetious--but you'd think Denzel might have looked it up after Kevin told him about it. If he even knows or cares what a podcast is).

Anyway, I think Denzel is a nice guy when he's not doing the show-biz thing. If you guys haven't heard about it, there's a YouTube video of him in a clothing store, talking to comedian Jason Sklar (no audio).  But on the Sklarbro Country podcast, Jason tells the story about that encounter , and it’s even better than what you’d expect. Denzel seems really, really down to earth and friendly when he’s not talking about Hollywood stuff. Here’s the link—the  Denzel story begins at 11:40:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sklarbro-county-240/

Someone upthread said Denzel's performance was overwrought and I have to agree. Like I told my friend, he was acting, Viola was living.

She was just exquisite in this role and I think if Hollywood politics weren't what they are she'd be taking home the lead actress Oscar instead of supporting. 

The first half hour of the movie dragged and was the part that felt most like a play. It was mostly Troy talking with everyone else interjecting, I suppose to establish his character's dominance. It felt numbing in a way, I think we were meant to feel how his family and friends must feel around him, unable to share any thought or opinion contrary to his own or else get a ten minute lecture. The end of the movie after his death felt so much richer and it was only 20 minutes.

• Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, Ohwell said:

Thanks, Silver Raven for that clip.  Looks like Troy is an ass, no matter who plays him.  I'd say James Earl Jones is more frightening than Denzel.

Saw it onstage in Boston in 2009, and yes, Troy was a difficult character to like then as well.  In that production, Gabe was played by Bill Nunn (who was in the SAG In Memoriam segment on Sunday).  I thought Denzel did a pretty fine job translating it to film.  It's an actor's showcase, and the performances were excellent.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Saw it onstage in Boston in 2009, and yes, Troy was a difficult character to like then as well.  In that production, Gabe was played by Bill Nunn (who was in the SAG In Memoriam segment on Sunday).  I thought Denzel did a pretty fine job translating it to film.  It's an actor's showcase, and the performances were excellent.

Can I just say that that's the same run I saw! It was my first professional show I ever saw in Boston, and I loved it. I was a freshman in college. Ah, memories. Also, I totally agree with you regarding Denzel. I thought he did an excellent job, and yes, this is a great show as an actor.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 1

Had a double feature tonight and finally caught all the Best Picture nominees!  Really didn't know much about this one except what I saw on the trailer, but I thought it was pretty good.  Maybe a bit too long at times (started out interesting, got a bit bored, picked up again, and then it dragged near the end), either Gabriel or Mykelti Williamson's performance just didn't work for me, and for better or worse, you could tell it was based of the play (especially noticed how a bunch of important is talked about off screen instead of shown like a normal film), but the dialogue and characters stuck with me, and, man, that acting.

Can totally see why Viola Davis is likely going to be picking up the trophy soon.  She's always great, but this was mind-blowing.  She just dominated the screen whenever Rose appeared, but she never felt over-the-top or like she was "acting."  She was just Rose and it was amazing.  Obviously, the big dramatic scenes were on point, but even some of her quieter, subtle moments landed perfectly.  Just a tour de force performance from her.  Really well done.

Denzel Washington was right behind her, although I did find myself comparing him to James Earl Jones' version from the clips I've seen (including the on above), and I prefer Jones take to his (his Troy still seems to have that Denzel swagger and charm, while Jones' was just commanding scary, and I think that works better for Troy.)  Still, credit to Washington for being willing to embrace Troy's unlikable qualities and make him a complete scumbag, but still make him feel like a human being.  Despite his major, major vices, I never felt like Troy was an one dimensional villain.  He was man who was capable of good, but he kept doing the wrong thing instead.  And there are a lot of men like him out there.  Still not a huge fan of his directing, but more power to him for getting this out.

Supporting cast was good.  Always great seeing Stephen Henderson and Jovan Adepo shined as Corey.  Totally didn't know Russell Hornsby was going to be in this!  When Lyons first popped up, it all of my strength not to yell "Hank!"

Overall, not perfect, but I'm glad I finally caught it!

• Love 3

The acting was fantastic, but 2.5 hours of Troy was exhausting and suffocating ... although I suppose that was the point.  I had empathy for the hardships Troy suffered in his life, but he eventually sucked all the joy out of his family and seemed to take his problems out on Cory and Rose.  

Thus, the ending didn't work for me -- the whole family getting misty-eyed over Troy's passing, and the heavens literally opening up.  Not that I thought Troy didn't deserve heaven after a troubled life, or that it's not realistic for the family to gloss over a deceased person's faults.  But it was too much.   

I was especially annoyed on Cory's behalf, and especially when Rose told him that Troy had tried to put the best of himself in Cory.  Because at no point in the movie did Troy show any affection for his middle child, even though he clearly could and did show love at times for Rose, his best friend Bono, baby Raynell, and even had at least one somewhat friendly scene with Lyons (drinking in the backyard along with Bono).  

Anyway, I ended up feeling like Cory had been singled out for especially cold treatment by his dad, and there was no real acknowledgement of that.  Instead, he ends up chastised by his mother and singing that song with Raynell.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 3

An abusive and bitter alcoholic works hard for the money, but not his marriage and fatherhood.   Blow that horn, Gabriel!

I was angry when Rose gave the speech to Cory as to why Papa's life was worthy.  It was the words of a spousal victim.  They were lies.  

Where was the redemption?  We got zero.  Not one second of amends to Rose, Cory, Bono, the other son, nobody.  And Wilson would have us honor that life with a triumphal celestial ascension.  

The one ridiculous speech I can recall from Pops was when he demanded, "Give me space.  I need room to breathe."   The man became Joyce Brothers and Stuart Smalley, y'all!  Puh leeeeeaze.  

Viola earned the Oscar.  No worries there.

• Love 2